PDA

View Full Version : Rey Maualuga vs. James Laurinaitis

toddmlazarchick
09-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Continuing with my theme...I think they are the top LB prospects in the draft. Both are listed as ILBs but would either be able to make a transition outside to a strong or weak LB? Which is better suited for a 4-3? Who do you think will be a better NFL player in your thoughts?

rockio42
09-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Think about it this way, Rey Maualuga is more like a Ray Lewis and James Laurinaitis is probably more of a Jonathan Vilma...if that helps

p.s. what does anyone think of those camparisons?

toddmlazarchick
09-05-2008, 12:29 PM
I would love to take Rey but with Fletcher still going strong, he will be behind him and not starting. Thats why I asked if either could kick out until Fletcher retires and then back to the middle later?

Bruce Banner
09-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Think about it this way, Rey Maualuga is more like a Ray Lewis and James Laurinaitis is probably more of a Jonathan Vilma...if that helps

The Rey to Ray comp has been popular for a while. Not entirely sure about the Vilma one.

rockio42
09-05-2008, 12:39 PM
The Rey to Ray comp has been popular for a while. Not entirely sure about the Vilma one.

Im saying that because James can obviously play the 4-3 but people wonder whether he can play ILB in the 3-4

eaglesalltheway
09-05-2008, 12:56 PM
I don't know as much about these guys as I do Mays and Moore, but for now, I say I'd go with Maualuga over Laurinaitis. Both can disappear for long stretches, sometimes even whole games, and I don't really like that about either. Both are very good prospects, and I honestly can't say who I think is better.

Maualaga covers OK from what I can see for a LB, and is great in the run game and gets in the backfield pretty well. He may be able to play outside in the NFl, but it woudl depend on the team and the scheme.

Laurinaitis also is decnt in coverage, but here is where I think he has a little bit of an edge over Laurinitis. But like Maualuga, is very good in run coverage.

If I had to pick one now I'd have to say Rey, he's had so many great games with such great talent around him. (Though thte same could be said aobut Laurinaitis.

Bruce Banner
09-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Pure Tampa 2 defense where the LB drops back as a pseudo third safety, give me James.
Any other defense, I'll take Rey.

DeathbyStat
09-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Rey reminds me of Lawrence Timmons with much better production and experience

yourfavestoner
09-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Rey is much more Jeremiah Trotter (when he was beasting his first time around with the Eagles) than Ray Lewis. He's a thumper, at his best when he's moving forward and disrupting things around the line of scrimmage.

Cribbs>Hester
09-05-2008, 05:20 PM
This one is not even close. Rey Rey is miles ahead of the most overrated player in the country. Unlike my dislike and concerns for Malcolm Jenkins and Chris Wells there is no hope for James Laurinaits in the NFL. Jenkins and Wells have fixable flaws, but Laurinaitis was just an ESPN creation and a beneficiary of great players around him and the Dlineman eating up all the potential blockers.

Bruce Banner
09-05-2008, 05:24 PM
This one is not even close. Rey Rey is miles ahead of the most overrated player in the country. Unlike my dislike and concerns for Malcolm Jenkins and Chris Wells there is no hope for James Laurinaits in the NFL. Jenkins and Wells have fixable flaws, but Laurinaitis was just an ESPN creation and a beneficiary of great players around him and the Dlineman eating up all the potential blockers.

So you will go on record by saying that James will fail in the NFL?

CC.SD
09-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Rey: Rey rey rey Rey, Rey rey rey Rey. Sean Lee. I mean, Rey.

09-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Jenkins and Wells have fixable flaws, but Laurinaitis was just an ESPN creation and a beneficiary of great players around him and the Dlineman eating up all the potential blockers.

Hell, this argument can be used for so many other LBs around the country if you wanted to. As for the ESPN creation part, if his play didn't match all the hype he wouldn't continue getting as much praise as he still does.

keylime_5
09-05-2008, 06:29 PM

kinda sorta but not exactly. close enough. If I run a cover 2 I'd love Laurinaitis. You gotta have good DTs for him really. I've seen a more or at least a lot of places say JL is a better prospect right now.......but personally I think I'd put Maualuga higher right now on my draft board. He reminds me of Katzenmoyer but not as good :p. Big Kat had like 12 sacks or something and won a butkus.

Shane P. Hallam
09-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Hell, this argument can be used for so many other LBs around the country if you wanted to. As for the ESPN creation part, if his play didn't match all the hype he wouldn't continue getting as much praise as he still does.

Plenty of hyped guys have worked out in the NFL though...

Sniper
09-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Over/under on the amount of Laurinaitis vs. Maualuga threads before draft day '09? I'm going with 12.

P-L
09-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Over/under on the amount of Laurinaitis vs. Maualuga threads before draft day '09? I'm going with 12.
Way over. I'd set the over/under at like 20.

Sniper
09-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Way over. I'd set the over/under at like 20.

Well we're already up to 3, so you may be on to something. I'll say two more get started after next week's game.

Search function=awesomeness.

Cribbs>Hester
09-05-2008, 11:24 PM
So you will go on record by saying that James will fail in the NFL?

If you have a chisel and stone you can go ahead and etch that down.

09-05-2008, 11:36 PM
If you have a chisel and stone you can go ahead and etch that down.

You just may be setting yourself up for a sig quote sir. Mhmm .

Bruce Banner
09-05-2008, 11:37 PM
James Laurinaitis will fail in the NFL

Go for it 619

09-06-2008, 12:10 AM
You can sure as hell bet I went for it ha .

Bruce Banner
09-06-2008, 12:13 AM
You can sure as hell bet I went for it ha .

Nice job!!!!!!!!!!!

Cribbs>Hester
09-06-2008, 01:31 AM
You just may be setting yourself up for a sig quote sir. Mhmm .

I figured telling someone to find a chisel and stone would be consent enough. If someone wants to put that in there sig then by all means because I believe it. This guy lacks the toughness and ability to disengage from blockers needed to be a successful middle linebacker at the next level.

yourfavestoner
09-07-2008, 02:09 AM
I figured telling someone to find a chisel and stone would be consent enough. If someone wants to put that in there sig then by all means because I believe it. This guy lacks the toughness and ability to disengage from blockers needed to be a successful middle linebacker at the next level.

You're right, anybody who thinks he's going to be a middle backer in this league is kidding themselves. He's an OLB, through and through.

Bruce Banner
09-07-2008, 02:16 AM
You're right, anybody who thinks he's going to be a middle backer in this league is kidding themselves. He's an OLB, through and through.

This guy thinks he will fail at any position.

Been thizzin'?

yourfavestoner
09-07-2008, 02:22 AM
This guy thinks he will fail at any position.

Been thizzin'?

I havent in awhile, and I probably won't again until New Years or so. I need my brain to be fully functional while I'm coaching...

Dam8610
09-07-2008, 10:02 AM

Yeah, that Brian Urlacher slouch is proof that you need to be able to disengage from blockers to succeed as an NFL MLB.

wicket
09-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Laurinaitis somehow to me feels like a chase daniel. Great at college level but somehow misses the clear ability to be a great pro. To bad though that that sort of reasoning is mainly used on qb while there are plenty of other positions where you can see the same things.

STARHEATHER
09-09-2008, 03:55 PM
neither. i have a game on tape where maaluga misses 8 tackles in one game. good unblocked vs qbs and wr making hits when defenseless, but put a body on him or ask him to shed a block, or ask him to make a solo tackle one on one vs a rb and he turns to swiss cheese. 8 yes thats right 8 tackles missed in one game. when nfl lbs miss 8 takles in one game, that = losses, just like it did for usc in that game. maaluga is the poorest tackling lb ive seen on tape of any of the signifigant prospects. i like laurinitis better. better natural athlete, better in coverage, doesnt miss as much as maaluga.laurinitis moves a lot better and more naturally. maaluga also cant move laterally as well. in the game i have on tape, maaluga pretty much cost them any chance to win with his missed tackles, misreads and blown coverages. i also like that he doesnt take head shots at defenseless qbs/wr so he can get on sportscenter like maaluga. if i had to choose, itd be laurinitis

Babylon
09-14-2008, 12:45 PM
If you were a fan of linebackers you pretty much had a field day on saturday night. dont want to get into ranking the 4 top guys but i thought each represented themselves very well. Rey had the on big play and Freeman had a couple of big stops himself. Lauranaitis and Cushing made a ton of plays. Cush's instincts for finding the ball are fantastic. Just my take.

Race for the Heisman
09-14-2008, 01:01 PM
If you were a fan of linebackers you pretty much had a field day on saturday night. dont want to get into ranking the 4 top guys but i thought each represented themselves very well. Rey had the on big play and Freeman had a couple of big stops himself. Lauranaitis and Cushing made a ton of plays. Cush's instincts for finding the ball are fantastic. Just my take.

I only really saw Freeman make an impact twice or so; to me he was the worst of the four. Rey was there for the interception and okay overall but Boeckman gift-wrapped his biggest contribution. Laurinaitis had a few good stops as did Cushing. Based on performance:

1. Maualuga
2a) Laurinaitis
2b) Cushing
3) Freeman

MarioPalmer
09-14-2008, 02:13 PM
There is really no comparison between the 2. Rey's potential and ceiling is out of this world, he does get a little lathargic at times because he has mental lapses. But, with his potential and athleticism he is really one of the top 3 defensive players in the 2009 draft and could a top 5 pick come April. He is almost a spitting image of the great Junior Seau only bigger, if thats possible, with the same amount of pure talent. Rey also brings something that most players in the NFL niether have or have to manufacture it by pyching themselves up, and thats intensity, nastieness and the ability to want to actually go out there and bury someone. Rey doesn't need to manufacture that, he doesn't need to some how get himself motivated to hurt someone he is like that by nature. That is something that can't be taught or learned. Either you have or you don't.

Teams like the Rams, Lions, Broncos, Bengals, Saints, Patriots, Dolphins, Cardinals, 49ers and the Browns all lack the toughness and personality of someone who brings that kind of energy. Someone mentioned before that Rey is like Ray, he is in the sense of the same intensity, but Rey Maualuga is more like a cross between Levon Kirkland/Ray Lewis. He has the body of a dominant MLB along with the athleticism and intensity that a defensive leader needs to have. He right now offers more to a team than JL does.

But, thats not to say JL won't be a very good MLB in the NFL. I think he will, but he would be better suited for a Cover 2/Tampa 2 defensive scheme. A scheme like a Cover 2 would take advantage of JL's ability to cover, diagnose and react. He is not a good attacker, he isn't as physical as Rey Maualuga nor is he as mean. He is much better in coverage and playing in zone, but he isn't a blitzing or attacking defender like Rey Maualuga. JL reminds me a lot like a less athletic Brian Urlacher. Incrediably smart but isn't as physical as you would like. Now, he is no where near as athletic or fast as Urlacher, but his nack for reading a defense and lining up his team mates along with being a awesome leader will not be over looked by teams like the Vikings, Lions, Broncos, Bills, Eagles, Buccaneers (playing WLB), Titans and Texans (playing WLB).

The one big difference that has to be acknowledged. Rey Maualuga will be looked at as having a much bigger impact at the next level because of his potential and ceiling. Along with being around a NFL routine and conditioning program and coaches that will work with him one on one he will only get better, stronger, faster and most importantly smarter. He will grow and get better.

On the other hand JL is a player that has the "you get what you see" with him. Doesn't mean he won't be a valuable player to a NFL franchise, it just means that he doesn't have much more room to grow or get better. He looks as if he is maxed out in his physical potential, he will undoubtably get smarter along with experience but his physical limitations will be exploited in the NFL. Thus him being the lesser of the 2. But, when all is said and done, JL will still be drafted in the top 25 maybe even in the top 20. Its just that Rey Maualuga will be drafted in the top 10, maybe even in the top 5.

BigBanger
09-14-2008, 08:47 PM
There is really no comparison between the 2. Rey's potential and ceiling is out of this world, he does get a little lathargic at times because he has mental lapses. But, with his potential and athleticism he is really one of the top 3 defensive players in the 2009 draft and could a top 5 pick come April. He is almost a spitting image of the great Junior Seau only bigger, if thats possible, with the same amount of pure talent. Rey also brings something that most players in the NFL niether have or have to manufacture it by pyching themselves up, and thats intensity, nastieness and the ability to want to actually go out there and bury someone. Rey doesn't need to manufacture that, he doesn't need to some how get himself motivated to hurt someone he is like that by nature. That is something that can't be taught or learned. Either you have or you don't.

Teams like the Rams, Lions, Broncos, Bengals, Saints, Patriots, Dolphins, Cardinals, 49ers and the Browns all lack the toughness and personality of someone who brings that kind of energy. Someone mentioned before that Rey is like Ray, he is in the sense of the same intensity, but Rey Maualuga is more like a cross between Levon Kirkland/Ray Lewis. He has the body of a dominant MLB along with the athleticism and intensity that a defensive leader needs to have. He right now offers more to a team than JL does.

But, thats not to say JL won't be a very good MLB in the NFL. I think he will, but he would be better suited for a Cover 2/Tampa 2 defensive scheme. A scheme like a Cover 2 would take advantage of JL's ability to cover, diagnose and react. He is not a good attacker, he isn't as physical as Rey Maualuga nor is he as mean. He is much better in coverage and playing in zone, but he isn't a blitzing or attacking defender like Rey Maualuga. JL reminds me a lot like a less athletic Brian Urlacher. Incrediably smart but isn't as physical as you would like. Now, he is no where near as athletic or fast as Urlacher, but his nack for reading a defense and lining up his team mates along with being a awesome leader will not be over looked by teams like the Vikings, Lions, Broncos, Bills, Eagles, Buccaneers (playing WLB), Titans and Texans (playing WLB).

The one big difference that has to be acknowledged. Rey Maualuga will be looked at as having a much bigger impact at the next level because of his potential and ceiling. Along with being around a NFL routine and conditioning program and coaches that will work with him one on one he will only get better, stronger, faster and most importantly smarter. He will grow and get better.

On the other hand JL is a player that has the "you get what you see" with him. Doesn't mean he won't be a valuable player to a NFL franchise, it just means that he doesn't have much more room to grow or get better. He looks as if he is maxed out in his physical potential, he will undoubtably get smarter along with experience but his physical limitations will be exploited in the NFL. Thus him being the lesser of the 2. But, when all is said and done, JL will still be drafted in the top 25 maybe even in the top 20. Its just that Rey Maualuga will be drafted in the top 10, maybe even in the top 5.
I agree with everything with the exception of JL just breaking the top 20. There are going to have to be a lot of teams in the top 10 that have no need for a MLB for him to fall past 15. I don't think he's worth a top 15 pick (Not huge fan of Rey either, but he's barely worth a top 15 pick for his potential alone), but someone is going to take him. James Laurinaitis would be an excellent fit in a Cover 2 defense, but he's the kind of player that needs good talent in front of him for him to be any good. He can be a great talent, but he needs to go to a defense with a good front 4.

Rey has a huge bust factor because he's just out of control when he's on the field, and that has never changed, and I don't know if it will. He doesn't keep his responsibilities, and playing within the defense. He's very aggressive (Often overly aggressive) and blows plays up; doing a nice job of attacking, but he doesn't make a lot of plays on his own. He's the kind of guy that gives other guys opportunities. He really just lowers his head and runs into an O-Linemen as fast as he can. He misses a lot of tackles, and doesn't do much in space, but he's not a liability. He bites hard on play action, which puts him in position to give up big plays.

I think they're both overrated, but in the right systems and with the right guys around them both can be Pro Bowl guys. Without that, then they could be average players that don't amount to much of anything significant.

The problems with Rey are correctable. That makes him a better prospect. That wont be easy to do. He's an aggressive player. Those are his instincts, and that's the reason why he hasn't changed. He needs to break down and tackle better. That's inexcusable. He goes for the knock blow way too much, and ends up getting burnt. I think he's worthy of top 15 pick, but I don't think he's better than Aaron Curry. That would be a better debate imo.

keylime_5
09-14-2008, 08:59 PM
I agree with the last 7 or 8 posts or so, good stuff guys. Maualuga had the one big play, Laurinaitis had a few nice plays, Cushing made some key stops and got some pressure, didn't play bad at all. Freeman got owned for most of the game, probably his worst game in a while. He did make a couple nice plays, good 10 yard sack in the 4th but all in all it was a rough night for #1.