PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Board

sweetness34
09-05-2008, 01:20 PM
For those who watched the game last night, there was one play in particular that I'm still confused on how it was called.

Campbell threw to Moss, who juggled the ball and caught it. Now he was touched when he didn't have possession and was trying to find the handle on it, but when he gained possession on the ground no one touched him, he got up and ran but the play was called down by contact.

Did the refs blow this call or was it the right decision to call him down? My view is that since he didn't have possession when he was touched, he wasn't down.

Bruce Banner
09-05-2008, 01:23 PM
For those who watched the game last night, there was one play in particular that I'm still confused on how it was called.

Campbell threw to Moss, who juggled the ball and caught it. Now he was touched when he didn't have possession and was trying to find the handle on it, but when he gained possession on the ground no one touched him, he got up and ran but the play was called down by contact.

Did the refs blow this call or was it the right decision to call him down? My view is that since he didn't have possession when he was touched, he wasn't down.

Blown, but 95% of the time they would blow that call. Its just too much of a judgment thing to try and explain. So you eliminate the risk of a long controversial TD by saying he was down.
So in the long run, good call.
At the moment, bad call.

MetSox17
09-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Blown, but 95% of the time they would blow that call. Its just too much of a judgment thing to try and explain. So you eliminate the risk of a long controversial TD by saying he was down.
So in the long run, good call.
At the moment, bad call.

It in fact was a blown call, but the reason it's worse than you're making it out to be is because it can not be reviewed. Obviously you can't award the Deadskins anything had they decided he wasn't down, after the fact, since there's no way you can predict what would have happened had they not blown the whistle.

That's why i feel that in those borderline plays, you give the offense the benefit of the doubt. They shouldn't have gotten it wrong in the first place, it's not too hard to figure out WHEN exactly the guy gained possession. Had they let the play go, the Giants surely would have challenged, then lost, since he wasn't down. But at least they would have gotten a chance to see both sides of it.

islandboy843
09-05-2008, 01:29 PM
I say let the play go all the way......that's what they have replay for.On a play this when the ref couldn't really see they should have let the moss run.

That would have changed the whole game.You can say th refs took away a TD from the Redskins.

CJSchneider
In a situation where a receiver is contacted by a defender prior to the receiver getting both feet on the ground and maintaining control of the ball, the receiver is considered to be "going to the ground" and, therefore, must maintain control in order for it to be a catch. The fact that Moss wasn't touched by a defender after he completed the catch is irrelevant because the defender's action caused him to hit the ground.

Edit - copied this from Yahoo Answers - he quotes this source
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80a7b1bc

CC.SD
I think Zorn's lack of a no-huddle in the 4th quarter and his playcalling in general are far more confusing topics.

Bruce Banner
09-05-2008, 01:34 PM
I think Zorn's lack of a no-huddle in the 4th quarter and his playcalling in general are far more confusing topics.

Zorn effed up, bad.

Not a good first showing chief.

scottyboy
09-05-2008, 01:37 PM
i wouldn't say it was a "sure TD" for Washington. There was a Giants DB 2 yards behind Moss an Webster, but heard the whistle and started walking towards the huddle or sidelines. If the whistle hadn't have been blown he was there and either could've touched Moss down if he was quick enough, or tackled Moss, or at the very least, slowed him down alot.

Bruce Banner
09-05-2008, 01:39 PM
No one said it was a "sure TD" but the possibility was there.

eaglesalltheway
09-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Zorn effed up, bad.

Not a good first showing chief.

Yeah that was somethign I defintiely noticed, give him time, and he'll get things figured out.

Smooth Criminal
09-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Blown call. But there was a guy hovering over Moss that didn't hit him because the whistle had already blown.

Burns336
09-05-2008, 02:59 PM
No one wanted to listen, but Colt is coming!!

Zorn has no loyalty to this turd Campbell who played like a chump until the giants went into a prevent in garbage time, even then he still threw a 4th down pass way short of the marker.

The funny thing was that the skins were trying to score a TD just to make the score look close, but they didn't have the urgency inside 4 min. to actually try and win.

Geo
09-05-2008, 03:29 PM
I think the play was still live too, he didn't really establish possession until after he was touched, although I'm not 100 percent sure the ball didn't touch the ground.

The refs blew the whistle, and that killed the play. Same thing happened last year with the Colts @ Chargers game, the Colts were robbed of a 97-yard or so return following an interception because the refs didn't believe linebacker Clint Session intercepted the ball. It sucks, and it's not like reviewing it can right the wrong.

awfullyquiet
09-05-2008, 03:50 PM
No one wanted to listen, but Colt is coming!!

I love statements dripping with sarcasm.

CC.SD
09-05-2008, 04:23 PM
I think the play was still live too, he didn't really establish possession until after he was touched, although I'm not 100 percent sure the ball didn't touch the ground.

The refs blew the whistle, and that killed the play. Same thing happened last year with the Colts @ Chargers game, the Colts were robbed of a 97-yard or so return following an interception because the refs didn't believe linebacker Clint Session intercepted the ball. It sucks, and it's not like reviewing it can right the wrong.

Session went the distance because after the whistle blew most of the Bolts stopped chasing him. Just saying. I'm not getting into another debate; I freely admit to you that every single flukey factor in the history of the world and universe conspired to enable the Chargers to beat the Colts twice last season.

TacticaLion
09-05-2008, 05:18 PM

I'm 100% sure that it didn't hit the ground. One of the replays on NFLN had the shot perfectly: Moss made a great play.

As previously said, it's a play that's hard to call correctly. Then again, if we have instant replay capabilities, we should have the option to use them for everything and not just a few situations.