PDA

View Full Version : Jason Peters to end holdout, per Adam Schefter

Bills2083
09-05-2008, 02:29 PM
:D :D :D :D

Even before the games begin, the Buffalo Bills and Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters have their first victory of the season.

Peters informed the Bills on Friday that he plans to end his summer-long holdout and report to the team Saturday, one day before Buffalo opens its season against Seattle. The team already has made the decision that Peters will not play Sunday against Seattle.

But Peters already has applied to the league for reinstatement and the NFL is expected to grant the Bills a two-game roster exemption.

However, Buffalo could opt to activate Peters at any time, and would be expected to do so next week, meaning he would likely be available to play Sept. 14 at Jacksonville.

Peters will not be arriving in Buffalo with the new contract he has been seeking. But both sides have agreed to maintain an open dialogue throughout the season with the hopes of striking a deal that will satisfy both sides. Peters has three years left on his contract.

Paving the way for Peters arrival were the talks the two sides had throughout the past week, when they began speaking Monday morning for the first time in a long time. Throughout the summer they had limited, if any contract, but with the regular season approaching, both sides recognized the need to open the lines of communication, which they did.

Those talks resulted in a compromise that will bolster Buffalo’s offensive line, afford quarterback Trent Edwards more time to throw, and running back Marshawn Lynch more holes to run through. Peters is on his way back, and this is a win even before the season begins.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

Burns336
09-05-2008, 02:54 PM
yessssssss. My Marshawn Lynch over SJax fantasy pick gains some momentum.

Yatta!
09-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Surprise, surprise now its actually football time his contract doesn't seem that bad.

P-L
09-05-2008, 04:34 PM
So, what exactly did he accomplish in holding out?

CC.SD
09-05-2008, 04:36 PM

Well, he got to dodge two-a-days. That's something at least.

09-05-2008, 04:40 PM

Exactly. Was it really worth it ? Now he's out for the season opener as a result. Boo .

PackerLegend
09-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Another holdout that accomplishes nothing and why.... because when game checks are about to get taking away a player will be there. Now him given full effort or not during those games is another story.

no love
09-05-2008, 10:22 PM
I think the hold-out is more about minimizing the risk of injury. If he feels as if he is under paid and wants a bigger contract he will have to play well again this season. He probably feels as though he can miss training camp without it effecting his performance, which is certainly debatable.

However, if he did play in preseason and got injured in a game it would have totally taken away any leverage in bargaining.

SenorGato
09-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Ploy to get outta training camp...

09-05-2008, 11:40 PM

You are so smart. :)

summond822
09-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Doesn't much matter to me...he's not playing this weekend, which is what I really wanted to know. Kerney, Jackson, and Tapp are going to have field days going against a RT playing out of position and a reserve T (which is who Kerney will be lining up against).

Hope your boy Edwards is wearing some extra pads come Sunday. Seriously...an injury early on would suck for you guys. Heck...I hope the Hawks run defense is up to stopping Lynch...at least enough so that he doesn't beat them. (Fantasy Football irony right there...every single week...)

BTW, is he in game shape do you suppose, or they just don't think that he'd click with the line right now?

SenorGato
09-06-2008, 12:17 AM
You are so smart. :)

Thanks. Just got that urge to share the wealth ya know?

yourfavestoner
09-06-2008, 05:48 AM

True that. But what if he would have suffered a career threatening injury during training camp?

As a fan of a small market team, I know it's tough when your team simply doesnn't have the funds to pay a player. But you've gotta look at from their point of view too. And the "well I would do it for pennies" argument doesn't really hold.

MetSox17
09-06-2008, 10:34 AM
True that. But what if he would have suffered a career threatening injury during training camp?

As a fan of a small market team, I know it's tough when your team simply doesnn't have the funds to pay a player. But you've gotta look at from their point of view too. And the "well I would do it for pennies" argument doesn't really hold.

Isn't there revenue sharing in the NFL?

Besides, i think i'll take two a days for a few weeks in exchange for the 500g's or so it cost him.

Rob S
09-06-2008, 10:57 AM

I think the Bills main issue is that he just penned a new, improved 5 year deal 2 years ago. In fact, the Bills probably gave him above market value. I think the Bills stance was fine on this. We will negotiate but u need to get into camp because u are still signed for three years.

Prince 561
09-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Isn't there revenue sharing in the NFL?

Besides, i think i'll take two a days for a few weeks in exchange for the 500g's or so it cost him.

Revenue sharing doesn't mean that there aren't inequities in how much each team makes...

Menardo75
09-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Good thing Buffalo got him back he is very important to their offense one of the better up and coming LT's in the league

MetSox17
09-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Revenue sharing doesn't mean that there aren't inequities in how much each team makes...

I understand that, but aren't the salaries what revenue sharing helps pay?

giantsfan
09-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Good thing Buffalo got him back he is very important to their offense one of the better up and coming LT's in the league

Umm, he's one of the better LTs in the league, period. Right up there with Roos and McNeill.

MetSox17
09-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Umm, he's one of the better LTs in the league, period. Right up there with Roos and McNeill.

Is Roos really Flozell or Joe Thomas-esque?

MaxV
09-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Hopefully, he has kept in shape on his own.

Menardo75
09-06-2008, 03:03 PM

Since when are they the two best LT's in the leauge

giantsfan
09-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Since when are they the two best LT's in the leauge

Roos easily was one of the best LTs in the game last season, and McNeill had a down year last year and was still an elite LT, the year before he was simply nasty. Jason Peters to me is at least in the top 3 for NFL LTs, as he has great, quick, feet with a massive frame and his technique has become exceptional aswell.

Menardo75
09-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Roos easily was one of the best LTs in the game last season, and McNeill had a down year last year and was still an elite LT, the year before he was simply nasty. Jason Peters to me is at least in the top 3 for NFL LTs, as he has great, quick, feet with a massive frame and his technique has become exceptional aswell.

I don't think he is better than Walter Jones or Flozell Adams right now.

TheBuffaloBills
09-07-2008, 06:57 AM
My friend said something that I thought was pretty funny. He said "When Peters comes back he will be 450lbs with cheeto stains on his fingers"

Right now, I think Jason Peters is a top 3 LT. If I was starting a franchise he would be the second highest rated LT on my board behind Thomas.

MetSox17
09-07-2008, 10:02 AM

So where does that put Joe Thomas and Flo?

giantsfan
09-07-2008, 11:16 AM
So where does that put Joe Thomas and Flo?

I'm not sure but my top five includes, Peters, Roos, Thomas, Jones and McNeill, Flo's just on the outside because even though he was just nasty last year, that was the first time in his career he played at that level and at his age that's somewhat worrisome. Although I completely understand why you would feel that his dominance last season warrants a top 5 spot despite his career long underachieving, and seeing what he could do last season he must've been underachieving the rest of his career. I guess we'll see this season how the elite OTs stack up, flo and jamal brown could certainly move up this season if they can repeat they're career seasons.

Leon Sandcastle
09-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Doesn't much matter to me...he's not playing this weekend, which is what I really wanted to know. Kerney, Jackson, and Tapp are going to have field days going against a RT playing out of position and a reserve T (which is who Kerney will be lining up against).

Hope your boy Edwards is wearing some extra pads come Sunday. Seriously...an injury early on would suck for you guys. Heck...I hope the Hawks run defense is up to stopping Lynch...at least enough so that he doesn't beat them. (Fantasy Football irony right there...every single week...)

BTW, is he in game shape do you suppose, or they just don't think that he'd click with the line right now?

Insert foot in mouth here.

Bills2083
09-07-2008, 04:45 PM

haha, you beat me to it.
:D

summond822
09-07-2008, 06:39 PM

Ouch...hard to believe that I was so far off but hey we can't be right all the time.

Props to your guy's O-line for shutting down the hawks pass rush. 1 sack all day... oh well.

Your D dominated us, I am now wishing that I had managed to land Marshawn Lynch in my fantasy drafts if that is what your o-line can do even with a guy playing out of position and a reserve T.

Props to your D-coordinator too. It wasn't pretty watching as a Seahawks fan.