PDA

View Full Version : Winston a Texan for five more years

Breaker
09-06-2008, 09:53 AM
WINSTON SIGNS EXTENSION WITH TEXANS

Posted by Mike Florio on September 6, 2008, 8:14 a.m.

A league source tells us that the Houston Texans have signed right tackle Eric Winston to a five-year, $30 million extension.

The deal includes $10 million in guaranteed money.

Winston was the second player selected in the third round of the 2006 draft. His rookie deal runs through the 2008 season, and he was due to earn $445,000 this year.

He appeared in twelve games and started seven as a rookie. Last year, he started every game for the Texans.

We’re told that the deal makes him one of the three highest-paid right tackles in the league.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/06/winston-signs-extension-with-texans/#comments

Don't know if this is general board thread worthy, so mods remove if you don't think so. IMO, I think Winstion is a top three RT in this league and I'm glad the Texans paid him like one, to keep him.

Ravens1991
09-06-2008, 09:54 AM
I remember I liked him as a prospect good for him.

Breaker
09-06-2008, 09:57 AM
I actually wanted to draft this guy with our 1st pick in the 2nd round. I think Scott even had him going to us with that pick in the 2nd round, in his mock. I glad it work out how it did, we got DeMeco in the 2nd and Winston in the 3rd. Charles Spencer was the pick before Winston and they were meant to be bookend tackles... too bad it didn't work out because of the injury *damn you ron danye*.

MetSox17
09-06-2008, 10:25 AM
I guess there's not that many pricey RT's out there, really. This sucks for us though, cause if Winston got 30/10, i wonder how much Colombo is gonna want.

comahan
09-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Excellent. Hes been really good for us. Good news indeed.

09-06-2008, 10:28 AM
I remember the steal he was in the 3rd round of that '06 draft. Excellent news for other RTs across the league.

Bucs_Rule
09-06-2008, 10:54 AM
I was really disappointed TB passed on him for trueblood.

djp
09-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Winston was a beast, just like Jason Fox will be.

I remember when people had him as a bust candidate, and everyone blasted him since Miami sucked that year. I knew he'd be a stud.

comahan
09-06-2008, 11:01 AM
This just reminds me how good of a draft we had in Kubiaks first year there. Mario (Rnd 1) could be a dominant force for years to come, DeMeco (Rnd 2) was a pro bowler and is the leader of our Defense, Winston's (Rnd 3) extension is well deserved and has been our best and most consistent offensive lineman, and Owen Daniels (Rnd 4) has become a heck of a Tight End for us. Good times.

09-06-2008, 11:09 AM
This just reminds me how good of a draft we had in Kubiaks first year there. Mario (Rnd 1) could be a dominant force for years to come, DeMeco (Rnd 2) was a pro bowler and is the leader of our Defense, Winston's (Rnd 3) extension is well deserved and has been our best and most consistent offensive lineman, and Owen Daniels (Rnd 4) has become a heck of a Tight End for us. Good times.

Wow that is certainly a very impressive draft. I had no idea. If you look at it closely over the last few years the team has actually put together some solid drafts yet it still goes unnoticed for the most part.

MetSox17
09-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Looking back at that draft reminds me of how we got absolutely nothing out of two entire drafts under Bill Parcells.

Addict
09-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Wow that is certainly a very impressive draft. I had no idea. If you look at it closely over the last few years the team has actually put together some solid drafts yet it still goes unnoticed for the most part.

that's the reason they do so well these days right there

IceKubes
09-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Also traded a 7th round pick that year for Kevin Walter and spent another 7th on David Anderson(3rd/4th receiver) if I'm not mistaken.

Shane P. Hallam
09-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Only a few pieces missing for Houston. If Duane Brown is a beast, and they find a RB out of what they have, only injuries and some secondary issues are all that is left!

Menardo75
09-06-2008, 02:05 PM
I still can't believe they waited until this year to draft an O lineman in the first round

MetSox17
09-06-2008, 02:07 PM
I still can't believe they waited until this year to draft an O lineman in the first round

They never really had good value from where they were picking.

Menardo75
09-06-2008, 02:10 PM
I do remember they had the chance to take Alex Barron and took Travis Johnson instead. Now right now granted that might not look like that big of a deal but at the time it looked really bad

MetSox17
09-06-2008, 02:11 PM
I do remember they had the chance to take Alex Barron and took Travis Johnson instead. Now right now granted that might not look like that big of a deal but at the time it looked really bad

Not really, Alex Barron wasn't really high on teams' boards which is why he slipped. I believe he's sack of rocks-dumb. Wasn't a big effort guy either. Travis Johnson was beasting coming out.

Menardo75
09-06-2008, 02:14 PM
They also in 2004 had the chance to take either Shawn Andrews or Vernon Carey. I guess they did take Duante Robinson but still they did not pay enough attention to that spot early on. Atleast they might have some fixtures now though

Shane P. Hallam
09-06-2008, 02:17 PM
They also in 2004 had the chance to take either Shawn Andrews or Vernon Carey. I guess they did take Duante Robinson but still they did not pay enough attention to that spot early on. Atleast they might have some fixtures now though

Dunta was a solid pick though. Steelers would have taken him had Ben not been there, and then maybe Houston would have taken one of those O-linemen.

That whole draft really intrigues me. Buffalo tried to move up past Pittsburgh to get Roethlisberger. Had that happened, Pitt takes Dunta, and probably takes Matt Schaub in the 3rd, then Houston would have went O-line in the first. Crazy stuff.

MetSox17
09-06-2008, 02:21 PM

It has taken Carey, what, four years to finally start playing decently? They had no secondary at the time, and Dunta was a top guy. He's been very good for them so i wouldn't say that was a bad pick.

diabsoule
09-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Winston was a beast, just like Jason Fox will be.

I remember when people had him as a bust candidate, and everyone blasted him since Miami sucked that year. I knew he'd be a stud.

Yeah, I had wanted New Orleans to draft Winston to help shore up our O-Line. I knew just like you that he'd be a damn good OL.

draftguru151
09-06-2008, 02:48 PM
It has taken Carey, what, four years to finally start playing decently? They had no secondary at the time, and Dunta was a top guy. He's been very good for them so i wouldn't say that was a bad pick.

Carey was "decent" his 2nd year in the league and was pretty damn good in his 3rd year when he was at RT. Even last year when he was at LT he played very well.

Also, Carey is in the last year of his contract and I hope we can bring him back for something around what Winston got. Would be a shame if the one consistently good first rounder we've had in the last few years leaves.

Menardo75
09-06-2008, 03:00 PM

Im not saying it was a bad pick at all it obviously has worked out. Its just hard for me to believe that they thought they would be any good without using any top picks on lineman

MetSox17
09-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Im not saying it was a bad pick at all it obviously has worked out. Its just hard for me to believe that they thought they would be any good without using any top picks on lineman

Have the Cowboys used any top picks on linemen? The Patriots? What about the Colts? Chargers??

Taking linemen in the first round means nothing. If anything, OL is the position where you can wait on and take in the later rounds. Those are probably the easiest guys to develop, and there's plenty of them. It's all about having a good scouting team and coaching staff, not high picks.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-06-2008, 03:44 PM
The Patriots? What about the Colts? Chargers??

All three have spent a low first or a relatively high second on a lineman recently.

MetSox17
09-06-2008, 05:09 PM
All three have spent a low first or a relatively high second on a lineman recently.

Meaning you don't need to pick in the top fifteen to draft good linemen.

Menardo75
09-06-2008, 06:44 PM

Well it would'nt hurt to take an elite lineman once in a while to be your anchor

Paranoidmoonduck
09-06-2008, 07:50 PM

No ****. The teams you mentioned haven't had a whole ton of top 15 picks.

Besides, that's true of every single position.

leroyisgod
09-06-2008, 08:17 PM
This was a surprise, good for him though.

Caddy
09-06-2008, 08:50 PM
I remember having him as one of 5-8 possibilities for the Buccaneers in the first rounds a few drafts back. Then I think scouts started ripping him for his short arms and he dropped like crazy. But I'm still pretty happy with Jeremy Trueblood.

Bruce Banner
09-06-2008, 08:52 PM
I remember having him as one of 5-8 possibilities for the Buccaneers in the first rounds a few drafts back. Then I think scouts started ripping him for his short arms and he dropped like crazy. But I'm still pretty happy with Jeremy Trueblood.

Didn't he have a bad knee?

Caddy
09-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Didn't he have a bad knee?

I think there was multiple things which led to his drop to the 3rd round. I have a feeling his hands were relatively small as well.

Saints-Tigers
09-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Have the Cowboys used any top picks on linemen? The Patriots? What about the Colts? Chargers??

Taking linemen in the first round means nothing. If anything, OL is the position where you can wait on and take in the later rounds. Those are probably the easiest guys to develop, and there's plenty of them. It's all about having a good scouting team and coaching staff, not high picks.

That's part of your case for it? Really?

DMWSackMachine
09-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Not to quibble or anything, but of the 5 Dallas starters, 4 were extremely highly regarded coming out of the draft. Flozell was supposedly a sure fire 1st rounder who unexpectedly slipped into the early second, Gurode was an elite guard/center prospect who was considered a borderline 1st rounder, solid 2nd rounder, Colombo was a 1st rounder who was thought of--at the time--as the prototype mauler RT, and Davis was the 2nd overall pick in the draft.

Now, granted, Dallas didn't draft the last two, but they also had a mediocre/bad offensive line before the two of them got it together and got on board.

As for the Colts, Tarik Glenn was a top 15 pick, iirc, and they just traded a 1st rounder to acquire the rights to Ugoh, though they certainly don't use 1st rounders on guards or centers (few do). And the Pats are just a few years away from using their 1st rounder on Mankins.

All told, I do agree that a line can be developed with more unheralded prospects, but it certainly is a good idea to take a stab at a good tackle prospect in the first round if he's available, as well as the occasional elite-level G should circumstances conspire to allow it.

Prince 561
09-07-2008, 08:11 AM

You should just quit this argument now...

MetSox17
09-07-2008, 10:01 AM
No ****. The teams you mentioned haven't had a whole ton of top 15 picks.

Besides, that's true of every single position.

Well i realize that genius, yet they still have the best offensive lines in the game. You can make the case that that is one of the positions you don't need to draft that high for. That's what i'm trying to get across.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Well i realize that genius, yet they still have the best offensive lines in the game. You can make the case that that is one of the positions you don't need to draft that high for. That's what i'm trying to get across.

WHICH IS TRUE FOR EVERY SINGLE POSITION.

Menardo75
09-07-2008, 06:26 PM
You should just quit this argument now...

yeah really

Saints-Tigers
09-09-2008, 06:30 AM
offensive line is one position I think I would draft high or not at all, kinda like QB. I really don't want to draft any QB but absolute elite prospects, and then i'll draft linemen from either side with top 10 selections, and just about any other position, the player has to be incredibly special at his position for me to pick with a high draft pick, particularly RB's and Receivers.

Menardo75
09-09-2008, 04:57 PM

So if you had the chance to draft an elitle O-line prospect you would rather spend it on something else because you can get a better one later

MetSox17
09-09-2008, 05:00 PM
So if you had the chance to draft an elitle O-line prospect you would rather spend it on something else because you can get a better one later

Way to take my post completely out of context. I was defending the point that someone mentioned earlier that they never drafted high. Some of you guys make me wonder if you stare at the screen pretending to read, before you hit reply.

WHICH IS TRUE FOR EVERY SINGLE POSITION.

Is that so? Quarterbacks? CB's? Defensive line?

Gay Ork Wang
09-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Seen Tom Brady lately? Or even Tony Romo for that matter? Mark Anderson or Ed Johnson? or Fred bennett?

at OL u have 5 guys and a lot more prospects to pick from. U cant say a certain position is easier to pick later on. cause its obviously noit

Menardo75
09-09-2008, 05:09 PM
If there is an elite prospect at at position of need it seems fairly obvious what you should do. Just the fact that you defend the way the Texans have drafted amazes me.

MetSox17
09-09-2008, 05:28 PM
If there is an elite prospect at at position of need it seems fairly obvious what you should do. Just the fact that you defend the way the Texans have drafted amazes me.

Lol when the hell have i defended the way they've drafted? It's all nice and easy in hindsight, all i ever said was that they took the guys which are rarer to find earlier.

If you have the chance to take a potential stud at CB, or a potential stud at OG, why would you take the guard?

Gay Ork Wang
09-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Because Oline wins u games

MetSox17
09-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Seen Tom Brady lately? Or even Tony Romo for that matter? Mark Anderson or Ed Johnson? or Fred bennett?

at OL u have 5 guys and a lot more prospects to pick from. U cant say a certain position is easier to pick later on. cause its obviously noit

Tom Brady and Tony Romo. Two guys that went late that are great now, in the past five, six years. I wouldn't take that chance. Every year there's linemen that are drafted late and start for their team, and eventually become good to very good.

Menardo75
09-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Lol when the hell have i defended the way they've drafted? It's all nice and easy in hindsight, all i ever said was that they took the guys which are rarer to find earlier.

If you have the chance to take a potential stud at CB, or a potential stud at OG, why would you take the guard?

Oh I don't know maybe to protect your QB and start a foundation to your offense, little stuff like that. If they could have gotton some protection around Carr he may not have been that bad. I believe if you look at the ratios CB is a lot more risky pick than a lineman.

Menardo75
09-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Tom Brady and Tony Romo. Two guys that went late that are great now, in the past five, six years. I wouldn't take that chance. Every year there's linemen that are drafted late and start for their team, and eventually become good to very good.

Ok then lets take on thats great to HOF early?

MetSox17
09-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Because Oline wins u games

And in my opinion, offensive linemen are the easiest to be coached and groomed. If you have the size, and the least bit of experience and smarts, you have a chance to be successful.

Menardo75
09-09-2008, 05:35 PM
And in my opinion, offensive linemen are the easiest to be coached and groomed. If you have the size, and the least bit of experience and smarts, you have a chance to be successful.

So then why would you not draft one early and invest your money in a position that has the lowest failure rate as far as the draft goes

MetSox17
09-09-2008, 05:39 PM
So then why would you not draft one early and invest your money in a position that has the lowest failure rate as far as the draft goes

Oh god we're going in circles.

Because some of the talent you'll find in the first round won't be near the same as in the later rounds.

Do you want a chance at the next Warren Sapp, or the next Shawn Andrews?

You can develop a Shawn Andrews in the later rounds. Good luck finding someone with the skill-set of Glenn Dorsey, or Sedrick Ellis, or a Jay Cutler or Ben Roethlisberger.

Menardo75
09-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Goodluck finding someone with the skill set of Joe Thomas...

MetSox17
09-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Goodluck finding someone with the skill set of Joe Thomas...

Who was thought of as the best player in the entire draft by most, and great enough to go #3 overall.

But now that you brought it up.. Marcus McNeill, Jason Peters, Matt Light, Kevin Shaffer, Michael Roos, Eric Winston, Tony Ugoh, Khalif Barnes, Jon Jansen. Off the top of the noodle, plus the many guards in the league that were taken late. How many of those guys were first rounders?

Prince 561
09-09-2008, 05:57 PM

Durrr...could that be because there's five starting linemen on a team and only one starting quarterback? Not to mention QB is more important so teams generally put a higher priority on getting one early.

MetSox17
09-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Durrr...could that be because there's five starting linemen on a team and only one starting quarterback? Not to mention QB is more important so teams generally put a higher priority on getting one early.

You're making my point for me, just so you know.

Menardo75
09-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Well lets see there is Joe Thomas, Joe Staley, Jake Long, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Jammal Brown, Shawn Andrews Vernon Carey, Jordan Gross. All starters all solid players Four pro bowlers not to mention some of the other ones I did'nt name are starting for their teams and are still becoming developed Light was a first round pick and Roos, McNeil, and Ugoh were all just outside of it.

MetSox17
09-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Well lets see there is Joe Thomas, Joe Staley, Jake Long, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Jammal Brown, Shawn Andrews Vernon Carey, Jordan Gross. All starters all solid players Four pro bowlers not to mention some of the other ones I did'nt name are starting for their teams and are still becoming developed

Dude, i never said it was wrong to take linemen high. If it were me choosing between Joe Thomas and Glenn Dorsey, i'd take Thomas.

But i understand their logic for drafting the way they did. It's not that hard a concept.

Prince 561
09-09-2008, 06:03 PM
You're making my point for me, just so you know.

No, I'm not. Your point was that you don't need to draft offensive linemen early to get good ones. The same is true for any position, which basically all of NFLDC pointed out to you. Unfortunately, since you can't admit you're wrong, you decided to carry on your idiotic argument. The reason there aren't as many late-round star QBs as offensive linemen is because there aren't as many QBs in the league as linemen.

Menardo75
09-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Dude, i never said it was wrong to take linemen high. If it were me choosing between Joe Thomas and Glenn Dorsey, i'd take Thomas.

But i understand their logic for drafting the way they did. It's not that hard a concept.

Guess I just don't get why they did not make an effort to upgrade the talent level at that position.

MetSox17
09-09-2008, 06:07 PM
No, I'm not. Your point was that you don't need to draft offensive linemen early to get good ones. The same is true for any position, which basically all of NFLDC pointed out to you. Unfortunately, since you can't admit you're wrong, you decided to carry on your idiotic argument. The reason there aren't as many late-round star QBs as offensive linemen is because there aren't as many QBs in the league as linemen.

This is why i hate arguing with people when they come in mid-thread. You have no idea what my original statement was in the first place. Shut up.

Prince 561
09-09-2008, 07:59 PM
This is why i hate arguing with people when they come in mid-thread. You have no idea what my original statement was in the first place. Shut up.

Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

Gay Ork Wang
09-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Marc Bulger? there are a lot of QBs out there that are starting and are doing fairly well. Derek Anderson last year, David Garrard, I think Jeff Garcia. Hasselbeck, Pennington. All capable of starting and winning games

Smooth Criminal
09-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Wasn't Pennington a first rounder? I remember people wanting the Steelers to take him high.

Gay Ork Wang
09-10-2008, 11:53 AM
argh never mind.

But if he takes about later than top16 picks we still have guys like Brees and Favre

Menardo75
09-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Wasn't Pennington a first rounder? I remember people wanting the Steelers to take him high.

Yeah Chad was one of four first round picks for the Jets that year

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-10-2008, 05:01 PM

That draft was just amazing period. Even Denver got in on the fun.

Cutler, Scheffler, Marshall and Dumervil.

bored of education
09-10-2008, 05:03 PM
amazing draft for alot ofteams
nice signing

Gay Ork Wang
09-10-2008, 05:03 PM
we got devin hester. Thxkbai