PDA

View Full Version : Annual 3-4 Defense Thread

BuckDawg23
09-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Lets hear the top prospects for all those 3-4 teams...I know this thread is a big help for the fans of 3-4 teams in the NFL so they know who to watch for in terms of who fits into their defense.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Theres 32.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Theres 32.

He meant 3-4 defense.

Addict
09-06-2008, 06:03 PM
oh god I actually thought this was a 'rule 34' thread. NVM.

Malaka
09-06-2008, 06:09 PM
oh god I actually thought this was a 'rule 34' thread. NVM.

LOL ROFL :eek: :D sicko ;) well if you are thinking what I am thinking :confused:

BuckDawg23
09-06-2008, 06:10 PM
there I changed it so theres no more confusion

Addict
09-06-2008, 06:26 PM
LOL ROFL :eek: :D sicko ;) well if you are thinking what I am thinking :confused:

I guess we are thinking the same thing.

there I changed it so theres no more confusion

I see, it's an annual thing now?

Ozzy
09-08-2008, 08:58 AM
There are a few standard players that can really fit into a 3/4 defense. The best would be Tyson Jackson of LSU, almost a perfect DE in a 3/4 with his size. I really think guys like Harwell, Byrd, Hypolite and Duncan could be good DEs in a 3/4, especially Byrd and Hypolite because of their pass rushing ability. Then you have sleepers in Jamison, Ayers, Kind and Hands.

DE
Tyson Jackson LSU
Brigham Harwell UCLA
Terrill Byrd Cincinnati
George Hypolite Colorado
Rashaad Duncan Pitt
Tim Jamison Michigan
Robert Ayers Tennessee
Mitch King Iowa
Marcus Hands East Carolina

Moala is probably the best DT around and could fit anywhere. Then you have Favorite who has already played all over the defensive line. Best big plug could be Raji but he gets injured a lot and is inconsistent.

DT
Fili Moala USC
Marlon Favorite LSU
B.J. Raji Boston College
Darryl Richard Georgia Tech

Best tall athletic pass rushing potential OLBs, Johnson is an obvious choice, Wootton as well, Briggs could dominate at the position potentially and Matthews has great potential also. Cushing could make the move also because he has played DE. See Pete knows what he is doing, he know value of prospects increase when they play DE and OLB in college.

OLB
Michael Johnson Georgia Tech
Brian Cushing USC
Zack Follet Cal
Corey Wootton Northwestern
Diyral Briggs Bowling Green
Worrell Williams Cal
Antwain Robinson Arkansas
Ian Campbell Kansas State
Clay Matthews USC
Willie VanDeSteeg Minnesota

The standard bigger ILB are a few of these prospects. Now granted now all teams have a bigger second ILB but some do.

ILB
Anthony Felder California
Jasper Brinkley South Carolina
Maurice Crum Notre Dame

Yatta!
09-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Tim Jamison would play OLB in a 3-4 not DE.

Hines
09-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Unless Hypolite buffs up 30 or so pounds, he will not play in a 34 defense. He cant fit in at DE because he is short, and weighs too little to play NT. Same thing with Byrd.

Foala will play DE in a 34.

Ozzy
09-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Unless Hypolite buffs up 30 or so pounds, he will not play in a 34 defense. He cant fit in at DE because he is short, and weighs too little to play NT. Same thing with Byrd.

Foala will play DE in a 34.I listed them as potential DE's in a 3/4, not a DT.

And this is all just speculation, things can change and players can be moved around quite easily. As for Jamison yes he could play OLB but I think he could maybe even get bigger, and he is already big now.

Yatta!
09-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Jamison would need to put on a lot of weight to play DE - he's about 265 at the moment. There was even talk of him playing OLB in a 4-3 by some people, but I don't think that would really suit him either.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Ozzy, where are Selvie and Orakpo in your OLB rankings?

rockio42
09-08-2008, 11:19 AM
and taylor in you NT rankings??

Cribbs>Hester
09-08-2008, 11:48 AM
DE Tyson Jackson
NT DeMarcus Granger
DE Evander Hood
OLB Everette Brown
ILB Rey Maualuga
ILB Brandon Spikes
OLB Cody Brown

abaddon41_80
09-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Ozzy, where are Selvie and Orakpo in your OLB rankings?

I was about to ask that. If Selvie puts on a few pounds without sacrificing speed he could be a top 5 pick

keylime_5
09-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Ideal front 7 with this year's prospects IMO:
DE-Moala
NT-Raji
DE-T.Jackson
OLB-Cushing
ILB-Maualuga
ILB-Spikes
OLB-M.Johnson

It would actually be better to put Cushing inside and have another DE/LB hybrid play the SAM but no one stands out at DE yet to put up there. you could go with Selvie, Orakpo, English, etc.

Ozzy
09-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Ozzy, where are Selvie and Orakpo in your OLB rankings?I do have them in the rankings but as DE in a natural 4/3 defense. I think both could play that position but yes Selvie could potentially along with Orakpo become OLB's. Just depends on how teams see them. I think both could potentially be better at DE because both are not tall skinny undersized DE's in my book. But yes the argument could be made totally and I see your point.

Ok guys like Michael Johnson, Briggs, Robinson and Campbell to me are not really strong enough to stand up against the run as a down DE. But Selvie and Orakpo can get off blocks well enough and are athletic enough to be a terror off the edge. But yes both would probably succeed anywhere you put them.

And again this is all just speculation at this point. However basically any large physical DE or DT in college has potential to be a DT in a 3/4 and any LB that has played DE or is good at pass rushing could play in a 3/4 OLB position.

Still all up in the air though really.

BuckDawg23
09-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Who are some of the top 3-4 OLB's eligible for this draft?

SenorGato
09-09-2008, 12:12 AM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/1029/ncf_a_hardy_300.jpg

+ Selvie = Win.

Greg Hardy is being so underrated. He's a Shawne Merrmain type pass rusher.

ToldLikeItIs
09-09-2008, 03:31 AM
Ozzy, where does Aj Edds fit in your 3-4 OLBs?? Or does he??

Jonny
09-09-2008, 03:32 AM
Corey Wootton at OLB in a 3-4? Unless his listed height/weight are way-inflated, he seems like a DE.

Rutgers is obviously not the first place that most 3-4 teams will want to scout on defense, even though it's quite popular with Tampa-2 teams (and other schemes that put an emphasis on speed like the Giants/Eagles). RU's DEs unsurprisingly project to the 3-4 as OLBs, but their DEs might even project as OLBs in the 3-4. A couple of the ones in the past have lacked ideal height, but Pete Tverdov seems like he's big enough to play OLB in a 3-4. Keep an eye on that name, he's a very good player despite his lack of publicity at this point.

Ozzy
09-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Greg Hardy is being so underrated. He's a Shawne Merrmain type pass rusher.That is true, I did not include him because he is a JR, but yes he could be a star in a 3/4.

Ozzy, where does Aj Edds fit in your 3-4 OLBs?? Or does he??I do not think he would be best in a 3/4, more like a Tampa 2 with his pass coverage skills and speed. He is not the build of a OLB in a 3/4 at all in my book.

RU's DEs unsurprisingly project to the 3-4 as OLBs, but their DEs might even project as OLBs in the 3-4. I agree with that Jamaal Westerman could easily become a OLB in a 3/4.

ammandss
09-09-2008, 01:18 PM
I'll add a couple Virginia players since they play the 3-4 now.

Clint Sintim is explosive coming off the edge as a 3-4 OLB. He's lost some weight and looks more explosive this year. He was manhandled in the USC loss, but bounced back well against Richmond. He was in on two sacks (both half sacks) and applied a lot of pressure in that game. I see him as a late 2nd rounder to early 4th rounder depending on how he does this year. If he plays well in the ACC then he has the potential to move up to early to mid second round.

The other prospect is Antonio Appleby who currently plays ILB in the 3-4. He is physically a beast and has made some great plays. However, he doesn't seem to have the production of his 3-4 ILB counterpart Jon Copper (who doesn't project as well to the NFL because of his size). However, I think he is a good late round pick as a ILB in the 3-4 and has the potentially to move up a LOT if he finally puts those skills in the stat column.

ammandss
09-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Some of this is discussed in teh Annual 3-4 thread. But looks like Michael Johnson and Orakpo are consistently at the top of people's lists are potential 3-4 OLBs.

I'm a big fan of Clint Sintim (who already is a 3-4 OLB) and I think he'll be productive in the NFL.

STARHEATHER
09-09-2008, 01:30 PM
ive only really seen two lineman at this point hat i would consider top 3-4 dl prospects.
tyson jackson 3-4 de lsu. strong enough to hold the point. quick enough to threaten off the corner. also shown ability to drop into coverage, key in the zb schemes. strong vs the run and threatening off the corner. not too many 290 lb guys playing de in college.prototype size and body with excellent athleticism. a special player.

terrence cody NT alabama- cody is quite simply put, the freak of the week. 6-5 350+ with warren sapp type quickness and penetrating ability. just really for get about trying to move him. can handle 2 gaps and get penetration. as clemsons "star" rbs and qb found out, trying to run the ball vs cody is pretty much a lost cause, he shows that jamaal williams/casey hampton type quickness to get in the backfield along with clog up the middle which really separates him from the rest. rumors flying of a near 400 lb man doing 360 dunks. the next level. a bigger quicker jamal williams type. maybe the most talented interior line prospect ever

ammandss
09-09-2008, 01:32 PM
I remember last year people were talking about BJ Raji as a NT. I haven't seen him play and am not sure about his skill set. Is he NT or DE in a 3-4 scheme?

ive only really seen two lineman at this point hat i would consider top 3-4 dl prospects.
tyson jackson 3-4 de lsu. strong enough to hold the point. quick enough to threaten off the corner. also shown ability to drop into coverage, key in the zb schemes. strong vs the run and threatening off the corner. not too many 290 lb guys playing de in college.prototype size and body with excellent athleticism. a special player.

terrence cody NT alabama- cody is quite simply put, the freak of the week. 6-5 350+ with warren sapp type quickness and penetrating ability. just really for get about trying to move him. can handle 2 gaps and get penetration. as clemsons "star" rbs and qb found out, trying to run the ball vs cody is pretty much a lost cause, he shows that jamaal williams/casey hampton type quickness to get in the backfield along with clog up the middle which really separates him from the rest. rumors flying of a near 400 lb man doing 360 dunks. the next level. a bigger quicker jamal williams type. maybe the most talented interior line prospect ever

Ozzy
09-09-2008, 02:00 PM
terrence cody NT alabama- cody is quite simply put, the freak of the week. 6-5 350+ with warren sapp type quickness and penetrating ability. just really for get about trying to move him. can handle 2 gaps and get penetration. as clemsons "star" rbs and qb found out, trying to run the ball vs cody is pretty much a lost cause, he shows that jamaal williams/casey hampton type quickness to get in the backfield along with clog up the middle which really separates him from the rest. rumors flying of a near 400 lb man doing 360 dunks. the next level. a bigger quicker jamal williams type. maybe the most talented interior line prospect everCOMPLETELY agree, in the future Cody could be an amazing prospect kind of like Ngata was a few years back.

Also agree on the Virginia players mentioned, they all are possible 3/4 stars because they already play in one basically at Virginia.

STARHEATHER
09-09-2008, 02:17 PM
hes a much better athlete than ngata, who is an excellent player in his own right. i cant even picture a man of that size doing a 360. also rumored to be the strongest player on the team. its those guys that do those crazy things that you just say no way he could possibly do that. and in the clemson game, you can talk about all the other guys but when it really came down to it, clemsons inability to do anything with cody was really the difference. raji is a mid rd nt prospect. kind of like ahtyba rubin. i havent seen bc on tape yet this yr but they were very stout vs the run last yr. they also have another prospect ron brace whos a similar type. raji is very short so 3-4 end for me is not in the picture

draftguru151
09-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Raji definitely looks like more of a nose. He looked really good this week against GT, completely dominated the interior of GTs offense at times. Used his hands extremely well, had very good quickness and a pretty good motor.

BackwoodsBoy
10-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Top 5 OLB
1. Brian Orakpo
2. Michael Johnson
3. George Selvie
4. Greg Hardy
5. Everette Brown

Top 5 ILBN
1. Aaron Curry
2. Marcus Freeman
3. Brandon Spikes
4. Jasper Brinkley
5. Scott McKillop

Top 5 NT
1. B.J. Raji
2. DeMarcus Granger
3. Terrence Taylor
4. Terrence Cody
5. Ron Brace

Top 5 DE
1. Tyson Jackson
2. Darryl Richard
3. Vince Oghobaase
4. Clinton McDonald
5. Kyle Moore

Matthew Jones
10-14-2008, 10:33 PM
4-3 DE/3-4 OLB:

Everette Brown, Florida St.
Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech
Brian Orakpo, Texas
George Selvie, South Florida

3-4 DE:

Evander Hood, Missouri
Tyson Jackson, Louisiana St.
Fili Moala, Southern Cal
Kyle Moore, Southern Cal

3-4 NT:

Ron Brace, Boston College
Terrence Cody, Alabama
B.J. Raji, Boston College
Vince Oghobaase, Duke

STARHEATHER
10-14-2008, 10:52 PM
should add sergio kindle to your olbs. hes the freak

SenorGato
10-14-2008, 11:17 PM
Everette Brown is growing on me. His first step is ridiculous, and I think he'll end up being considered a better prospect than Wimbley.