PDA

View Full Version : Some specific SLB's I should be looking at this year? (1st/2nd rounders)

essential
09-06-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm a Bills fan, and since we recently placed Angelo Crowell on IR, I have a feeling SLB just became one of our top 2 needs in the upcoming draft. As of right now I'd like Alex Mack (C) with our first or second pick (depending on value at draft time), and a SLB with our other pick. We'll need someone who could start right away and make an impact at SLB.

Who are some specific players I should be looking at durings games this year who figure to be early picks?

Thanks.

regoob2
09-06-2008, 04:07 PM
I doubt SLB is worth a first day pick.

Cigaro
09-06-2008, 04:16 PM
I doubt SLB is worth a first day pick.

Are you crazy? You think the outside linebacker with the most coverage responsibilities isn't worth a first day pick.

Aaron Curry is the cream of the crop in my opinion.

diabsoule
09-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Are you crazy? You think the outside linebacker with the most coverage responsibilities isn't worth a first day pick.

Aaron Curry is the cream of the crop in my opinion.

I thought he was more of a WLB.

Cigaro
09-06-2008, 04:28 PM
I thought he was more of a WLB.

He's much better in coverage than he is in blitzing. He plays SAM at Wake, so it would only make sense he stays there in the pros.

regoob2
09-06-2008, 06:21 PM

Aaron Curry is the cream of the crop in my opinion.yes, yes I do.

P-L
09-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I agree with regoob. A two down linebacker is not worth a 1st or 2nd Round pick. I really, really do like Aaron Curry though.

draftguru151
09-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Curry was extremely disruptive in today's game, getting into the backfield a bunch. Reminds me a bit of Boley from Atlanta.

But yea, 2 down LBs aren't worth first rounders, though Curry could be a 3 down SLB.

GB12
09-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Just agreeing with the others. Unless you don't have any other of very few other needs taking a SLB that early isn't a good idea.

And SLBs are not necessarily the best LB on the team in coverage. In fact that's rarely the case.

SuperMcGee
09-06-2008, 08:28 PM
While Crowell could play SLB very well, and is listed as such on our depth chart, in our defense his role isn't that of the usual SLB. He was a 3-down backer, our best one, and he will need replacing.

Cigaro
09-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Just agreeing with the others. Unless you don't have any other of very few other needs taking a SLB that early isn't a good idea.

And SLBs are not necessarily the best LB on the team in coverage. In fact that's rarely the case.

When on the field, they usually cover the tight end if present, or first runner out of the backfield. Out of all three positions, saying all on are on the field, they have the most responsibilities, which is what I stated.

Race for the Heisman
09-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Marcus Freeman has played both WLB and SLB and while he has been better at WLB he should have superb measurables and be considered a three-down linebacker by the time draft day rolls around.

Sean Witherspoon might be an option as well.

Malaka
09-06-2008, 11:20 PM
How can you all forget SLB out of USC Brian Cushing, IMO he is the best 4-3 SLB in the draft, and is an all around great linebacker, he is a very good tackler, good in coverage, and a good blitzer. His negatives are he is very similar to Ohio State bust Bobby Carpenter and he might be injury prone.

Race for the Heisman
09-07-2008, 07:54 AM
How can you all forget SLB out of USC Brian Cushing, IMO he is the best 4-3 SLB in the draft, and is an all around great linebacker, he is a very good tackler, good in coverage, and a good blitzer. His negatives are he is very similar to Ohio State bust Bobby Carpenter and he might be injury prone.

The Carpenter comparison might not hurt him if he's drafted by a 4-3 team, as it has long been speculated that Carpenter's best positional fit might be as a 4-3 SLB.

Cigaro
09-07-2008, 10:54 AM

I think he'll get picked up by a 3-4 team.

regoob2
09-07-2008, 11:02 AM
I dont know if Cushing a converted DE would be a great fit in buffalo. I dont know about the Carpenter comparison other than them being white LBs.

Malaka
09-07-2008, 04:39 PM
I dont know if Cushing a converted DE would be a great fit in buffalo. I dont know about the Carpenter comparison other than them being white LBs.

Both are around 6'3 I believe (Though I think Cushing is a bit taller), via wikipedia Cushing is 253 lbs. and Bobby is 257 lbs., and as you said both are white. Now those are just physical similarities, but their actually style of play is very similar.

Both are very good blitzers, very good tacklers, and are both average in coverage. Both *can* play in a 3-4 or 4-3 but are better fits as 4-3 SLBs. With speed I think Cushing takes it and Carpenter is stronger, but both are very similar all-around as SLB prospects.

Prince 561
09-07-2008, 04:57 PM
When on the field, they usually cover the tight end if present, or first runner out of the backfield. Out of all three positions, saying all on are on the field, they have the most responsibilities, which is what I stated.

Name some quality cover SLBs in the league. In most defenses they are hard-nosed guys who are good at taking on blocks. If they were good in coverage, they wouldn't be a two-down linebacker.

You don't waste a first day pick on a guy who plays ~50% of defensive snaps.

Cigaro
09-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Name some quality cover SLBs in the league. In most defenses they are hard-nosed guys who are good at taking on blocks. If they were good in coverage, they wouldn't be a two-down linebacker.

Perhaps you should try reading. If you did, you would realize your post was useless.

I said a linebacker that has the most coverage responsibilities(not talent, as you twisted it) when on the field warrants a first day pick in my opinion.

essential
09-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Does anyone think the Cowboys would trade Carpenter? I read the Cowboys were disappointed with him and had trouble finding a fit for him in the 3-4.

Could the Bills possibly get him for a 4th rounder after the season?

toddmlazarchick
09-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Does anyone think the Cowboys would trade Carpenter? I read the Cowboys were disappointed with him and had trouble finding a fit for him in the 3-4.

Why would you want him. He is a huge bust.

D-Rod
09-08-2008, 04:26 AM

Julian Peterson? Michael Boley?

Both of them play SLB, both of them are athletic freaks who make plays on all three downs.

I agree that it is not essential to have a playmaking SLB, but that doesn't mean that a good one cannot be a difference maker, and it certainly doesn't mean that one does not take an SLB in the first two rounds if one needs an SLB.

An SLB is not, by definition, a two down player.

eaglesalltheway
09-08-2008, 06:32 AM

Possibly, I had heard the Boys were trying to get rid of him this past off-season, but couldn't find a trade partner. I had heard that they were trying to get him in on some of their other trade possibilities, most notably the Fasano to Miami trade, but no one seemed really interested. I also heard there was a chance the Boys would release him, but that didn't happen either.

I think Dallas would get rid of him for a fourth rounder, but I really don't know what the Bills would get out of him. A lot of people say he is a bust, but i haven't seen him play enough to know whether he is just stuck in the depth chart (because of better talent ahead of him) or a bust.

essential
09-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Possibly, I had heard the Boys were trying to get rid of him this past off-season, but couldn't find a trade partner. I had heard that they were trying to get him in on some of their other trade possibilities, most notably the Fasano to Miami trade, but no one seemed really interested. I also heard there was a chance the Boys would release him, but that didn't happen either.

I think Dallas would get rid of him for a fourth rounder, but I really don't know what the Bills would get out of him. A lot of people say he is a bust, but i haven't seen him play enough to know whether he is just stuck in the depth chart (because of better talent ahead of him) or a bust.

I watch a lot of Ohio State games being from Buffalo, we always get their broadcasts. From what I remember of him from those games, I don't think we can say he is an NFL bust yet, and I won't think he is a bust until he gets a shot in a 4-3. I never thought he would work in a 3-4. If they want to get rid of him that bad I'd try and get him for less than a 4th. I assume the Bills will draft somebody, but I'd like to bring him in and give him a chance to compete for the SLB job.