View Full Version : Week 1 = Anarchy

The Unseen
09-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Colts lose, Jags lose, Titans lead AFC South
Pats lose Brady
Sleeper Texans fall asleep vs. Pittsburgh
Chargers lose
Bills roll over Seahawks

Week 1 is always the time for way too early predictions, but which of these surprising things will hold?

Smooth Criminal
09-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Steelers looked completely dominant.

I expect the Colts and the Jags to bounce back. I think SD takes a step backward this year. Just a gut feeling. I don't think Merriman lasts very long.

I like the Bills to win the East, and Cards to win the West.

The league got turned upside down today.

Turtlepower
09-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Pats lose Brady
Chargers lose
Bills roll over Seahawks

Week 1 is always the time for way too early predictions, but which of these surprising things will hold?

Considering Brady tore his ACL, I don't really think there is a way around that one.

SFbear
09-07-2008, 10:32 PM
We could be hitting the inevitable inflection point where the NFC takes over as the more dominant conference. The Giants Superbowl win seems to have really changed the dynamic of the league.

Bruce Banner
09-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Pats lose Brady
Chargers lose
Bills roll over Seahawks

I expected a bad season for the Colts by their standards but not a week 1 loss to the Bears.
Titans won't sustain this and if they are smart they won't let VY touch the field again.
I didn't expect a big season from the Bills but a few people saw this coming, I think it's sustainable.
Jags will recover.
The Chargers could be in trouble. I did not like what I saw from them at all. No urgency.

The Unseen
09-07-2008, 10:34 PM
We could be hitting the inevitable inflection point where the NFC takes over as the more dominant conference. The Giants Superbowl win seems to have really changed the dynamic of the league.

Good point. It happens eventually.

giantsfan
09-07-2008, 10:35 PM
The loss of Brady will have serious implications on the AFC East and I expect the bills to now definately make the playoffs.

Browns looked horrible against the boys today, BTW.

Cribbs>Hester
09-07-2008, 10:35 PM
The AFC just fell right into Pittsburgh's lap. Screw those worthless, classless, cheating and lucky bastards. Hope they win 4 more super bowls all jacked up on roids and another 1 after that because the officials were payed off.

Rob S
09-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Good point. It happens eventually.

maybe, but the Bills (a borderline playoff team in AFC) just obliterated a perennial contender in the NFC. I dont think the NFC has caught up quite yet.

saintsfan912
09-07-2008, 10:38 PM
I gotta say, I LOVE Jeremy Shockey in a Saints uniform. I was always a fan of his but seeing the kind of passion he brings to the field just makes me feel better about him being a Saint. We've been needing that for years and it finally getting here is awesome.

Smooth Criminal
09-07-2008, 10:40 PM
HAHAHA someone's jealous?

And this isn't college. Nothing fell into anyones lap. Theres still 15 games to go. Plus the playoffs.

The AFC looked awful. Colts, Browns, Jags, and Chargers all lose and Brady, Young, and Croyle all got hurt.

The AFC is wide open. Someones gonna have to take it.

yourfavestoner
09-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Jacksonville's offensive line needs to get healthy - and fast.

CC.SD
09-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Chargers are playing without their leading tackler on defense and it showed up against the run. In case you didn't notice, Rivers' line was 17-17 for 200+ and 3 TDs, with Gates, Jackson, Chambers, and LT looking very very sharp in the second half. They just didn't get it going early enough to counteract all those Carolina field goals.

The AFC will come down to Steelers, Jags, Colts and Bolts, just like we thought once you take New England out of the picture. Everyone is getting worked up over a weird week 1. Things will settle down.

CJSchneider
09-07-2008, 11:10 PM
The AFC looked awful. Colts, Browns, Jags, and Chargers all lose and Brady, Young, and Croyle all got hurt.

Aint that the truth.

yodabear
09-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Its not complete anarchy, we got torched, we got our asses kicked.

OzTitan
09-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Pats lose Brady
Chargers lose
Bills roll over Seahawks

Would you have considered the Jaguars leading the division after week 1 surprising? I don't get it myself. After this week, since the start of the 2006 season the Titans and Jags have the exact same win/loss record, 3-2 Titans way in the series. Why is it so surpising if the Titans compete for the divison along with the Jags? Not directed at you so much, just the general perception amongst most fans.

Smokey Joe
09-07-2008, 11:19 PM
I was expecting the Bills to pretty solid team and perhaps make the playoffs coming into this year, but now with Brady's injury, I'd say there's a good shot they can win the division.

In the offseason I thought New England needed to upgrade their backup QB, and they didn't. This could provide costly for them, as I think the Jets will make a push as well.

Vikes99ej
09-07-2008, 11:20 PM
The Lions still suck.

Matthew Jones
09-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Pats lose Brady
Chargers lose
Bills roll over Seahawks

Bills will be a good team, Texans will finish without a playoff spot (I didn't understand the hype with a weak running game and a mediocre quarterback.) Other than that, I see the Colts and Jags passing the Titans, the Patriots rebounding enough to finish at least 9-7, the Chargers getting back on track.

Iamcanadian
09-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Chargers are playing without their leading tackler on defense and it showed up against the run. In case you didn't notice, Rivers' line was 17-17 for 200+ and 3 TDs, with Gates, Jackson, Chambers, and LT looking very very sharp in the second half. They just didn't get it going early enough to counteract all those Carolina field goals.

The AFC will come down to Steelers, Jags, Colts and Bolts, just like we thought once you take New England out of the picture. Everyone is getting worked up over a weird week 1. Things will settle down.

Will they, Garrard threw 3 int. all of last year, his only year as a starter. He threw 2 today. He is hardly a proven QB and they have no WR's. They are very vulnerable IMO. The Colts could rebound. Maybe you could say that Peyton lacked practice time but their defense was exposed and teams will be coming at that defense. San Diego I think is toast. Turner has never impressed me as a HC who could get the most out of his team and without Merriman, his offense is going to have to carry this team and I'm not at all sure Turner is up to the task.
With Roethlisberger at QB, the Steelers will be tough and be the team to beat although their schedule is very tough.
I think the Jets are legitimate contenders with Favre at QB. He will only get better as he settles in. Buffalo will be solid but Edwards is only in his 2nd year and will still be subseptible to bad games.

Bearsfan123
09-07-2008, 11:50 PM
No mention of Atlanta's run game? I mean did everyone expect 220 yards from Michael Turner? I expected him to be good but damn.

Brodeur
09-07-2008, 11:52 PM
The Lions still suck.

Well some things just never will change.

Bruce Banner
09-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Well some things just never will change.

I love the fact that you have come to terms with it. Its awesome.

bantx
09-08-2008, 12:00 AM
HAHAHA someone's jealous?

And this isn't college. Nothing fell into anyones lap. Theres still 15 games to go. Plus the playoffs.

The AFC is wide open. Someones gonna have to take it.

Oh yeah after one week of the top AFC teams losing, its wide open now, i can see most of the teams bounce back, like last year chargers had a very bad start to the season but turned it around, our offense looked great i had only little complaints and our defense showed how weak we were without stephen cooper, our leader in tackles last year.

TitanHope
09-08-2008, 12:01 AM
I'd say Pats losing Brady and the Colts losing at home are the most surprising.

This is the second year in a row that the Titans have beaten the Jags in the season opener. Except, this year the Titans were at home. I don't see how this constitutes as "anarchy."

The Texans, sleeper or not, weren't the favorites @Pittsburgh.

Chargers lost on a last second play. They were still the favorites to win though, so it's still disappointing.

I didn't think the Bills' margin of victory would be what it is, but I certainly thought they could handle Seattle.

I think the Colts will turn things around as Peyton and Co. find their groove. The Titans are very much a contender for the WC and 2nd place in the division based off their DEF alone; Young could be out 2-4 weeks, which could be a good or bad thing depending on who you ask. The Jaguars OL is likely without Meester, Williams, Collier, and Manuwai for significant time, and Garrard needs a strong OL and running game to be successful. The Texans are the typical sleeper team that will fail to live up to expectations.

Brodeur
09-08-2008, 12:02 AM
I love the fact that you have come to terms with it. Its awesome.

Seeing your favorite teams best defensive player by far miss about 900 tackles on Michael Turner does that to you.

Geo
09-08-2008, 12:14 AM
My Week One Thoughts

If I was a Ravens fan, I couldn't hate Rex Ryan rushing only three players enough. It's stupid, it never works. Get a fourth rusher there, whereever he comes from.

Water Pistol Pennington could never have produced either of the two passing touchdowns that Brett Favre did today as quarterback of the New York Jets.

Kooky stat #1: The Arizona Cardinals and Tennessee Titans lead their respective divisions, with the rest all 0-1.

If only Reggie Bush was in an offense that used him properly, things haven't changed for the better this season. And yet he still makes plays despite that handicap.

Performance of the week: I'll give it to the Carolina Panthers team as a whole. Phenomenal job, coming out with a win.

The Kansas City Chiefs got into the game once Damon Huard came into the game. Can't say I was surprised.

Nevermind the Chiefs, it's going to be a long season for Lions and Rams fans. I thought so before the Week 1 games, but now everyone gets a good first look for themselves.

Kooky stat #2: Brian Moorman will (reportedly) throw more touchdowns in 2008 than Tom Brady.

Was Ken Wisenhunt the absolute best fit for the personnel the Arizona Cardinals had when he got there? Probably not, doubtful. Is he a good head coach? I think so. With Kurt Warner as his starting quarterback from day one, his team will contend for a playoff berth.

Line of the week: "The Titans are dragging Vince Young to the finish line." At least they have a playmaker at runningback with Chris Johnson now.

And for everyone after Week One:

It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

yodabear
09-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Yodachu's homer corner......

With the first pick in the 2009 NFL Draft the St. Louis Rams select.........?

bantx
09-08-2008, 12:22 AM
Im still rooting for VY :[

Chris777
09-08-2008, 12:23 AM
while i am a jets fan, and in turn will probably come off as biased have to point out that history has shown us that anything too good to be true for the bills is exactly that.

DMWSackMachine
09-08-2008, 01:02 AM
Its not complete anarchy, we got torched, we got our asses kicked.

Trust yodachu to bring a little levity.

As for the chaos....I think its the first sign of a shift in power from what we've seen in recent years to a sort of new guard.

I could see the Colts taking a step back. If we see the run D problems they had in 2006 crop back up this year, they will definitely not be at the same level they were last year, and if Manning loses just that little extra oomph, that team could quickly fall back to the 10-11 win pack.

The Charger fans have been poo-pooing any concerns about injuries, cohesion, and age from a key player or two, but what I saw today against a less-than-impressive Panther team was exactly what they have been denying for weeks on display for everyone to see. I still like them, but they need to get Gates and that OL fully healthy, and find a way to deal with their injuries on D. They'll still be in the mix, though, I should think. Might not be the magical 13 or 14 win season many had hoped for, though.

I never really did like the Jags, and I still don't understand how they made it to 5th in our power poll. How could a team without any viable threats in the passing game be so univerally lauded? They just aren't explosive enough on offense for me to see them as a legit contender. In general, you can only get so far by ugly-ing things up and winning 13-10 ball games.

I was shocked to see Seattle look so abjectly horrid, though. I thought they would be a solid 10 win team and take the division yet again, but if their week 1 play is any indication, they won't even make .500. Ugh.

So. What does that leave? I think that Pitt might be ready to take it back up to the 04-05 level again. Their OL still looks bad in pass pro, but their D is back to being nasty and they have a well rounded offensive attack. I was saying all along, Philly is being overlooked. Though I certainly believe that much of what we saw today was just a horrid, horrid Rams team.

Overall: slight ding to Indy, SD and Seattle; slight bumps to NYG, Buffalo and NO; big ding to NE and Jax; big bump to Philly and Pitt.

niel89
09-08-2008, 02:07 AM
If I was a Ravens fan, I couldn't hate Rex Ryan rushing only three players enough. It's stupid, it never works. Get a fourth rusher there, whereever he comes from.[/list]

seriously, it never works with 3 for us.

The Unseen
09-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Would you have considered the Jaguars leading the division after week 1 surprising? I don't get it myself. After this week, since the start of the 2006 season the Titans and Jags have the exact same win/loss record, 3-2 Titans way in the series. Why is it so surpising if the Titans compete for the divison along with the Jags? Not directed at you so much, just the general perception amongst most fans.

According to perception, the Jaguars were Super Bowl contenders and the Titans were scrapping for 4th behind the surprise Texans. I'm not sure if I thought the Jaguars were Super Bowl contenders, but I didn't expect the Titans to be as good.

Smooth Criminal
09-08-2008, 08:07 AM
I still think the AFC Superbowl contenders are Indy, Jax, SD, and Pittsburgh.

I'm expecting the Bills to take the East and the Jets be the other wildcard. I don't think either team does anything in the playoffs.

CC.SD
09-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Will they, Garrard threw 3 int. all of last year, his only year as a starter. He threw 2 today. He is hardly a proven QB and they have no WR's. They are very vulnerable IMO. The Colts could rebound. Maybe you could say that Peyton lacked practice time but their defense was exposed and teams will be coming at that defense. San Diego I think is toast. Turner has never impressed me as a HC who could get the most out of his team and without Merriman, his offense is going to have to carry this team and I'm not at all sure Turner is up to the task.
With Roethlisberger at QB, the Steelers will be tough and be the team to beat although their schedule is very tough.
I think the Jets are legitimate contenders with Favre at QB. He will only get better as he settles in. Buffalo will be solid but Edwards is only in his 2nd year and will still be subseptible to bad games.

You're right, the Chargers are toast. For the rest of the braintrust, I have to remind you that they looked like a high school team going 1-3 and 5-5 to start last year but ended up going toe to toe with the Patsies in the AFC Championship after winning 8 straight. The number of chicken littles on this board who think week 1 meant ANYTHING overall for their team (besides the Bradys) is astonishing.

bored of education
09-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Croyles the god got injured. :( Can we call up Stafford?

Smooth Criminal
09-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Only thing I'm worried about with the Chargers is Merriman. He was in and out all game and never really did anything. Why risk your career for that.

On offense, Rivers was perfect in the 2nd half so I don't have any worries about the offense.

CJSchneider
09-08-2008, 09:55 AM
[CENTER][SIZE="4"]

I couldn't agree more.

JK17
09-08-2008, 10:23 AM
While I wouldn't be so worried about the Chargers performance, after all they did start very slow last year, it isn't exactly something we're guaranteed to be able to come out of.

I fully expect us to rebound, but the biggest problem I saw was what I was worried about all preseason...we are a very poor tackling team, and thats the kind of thing that can continually haunt us throughout the season. Yes we were without Stephen Cooper, and its understandable he's our best linebacker, but its still a huge cause for concern.

That being said; like Geo stated, its not how you start its how you finish. We didn't play terrible, the offense looked pretty decent, especially from Rivers, but its the tackling that really needs improvement.

BcLion
09-08-2008, 10:46 AM
That being said; like Geo stated, its not how you start its how you finish. We didn't play terrible, the offense looked pretty decent, especially from Rivers, but its the tackling that really needs improvement.

From the entire Detroit Lions defense: " What's tackling?"

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-08-2008, 10:50 AM

I think even if the NFC is superior this season, which is very possible, it is not because of a power shift. With Manning's nagging injury, Brady being out for the season, Merriman's iffy knee, the three top dogs of the AFC are hurting. Next season, provided they all come back healthy, the AFC will be back on top. Especially with ANOTHER impact player likely to be added by the Patriots, who should have a high pick.

Yatta!
09-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Pittsburgh looked very good and are the class of the AFC at the moment. I expect the Chargers to recover and they should still win their division without too many problems. The AFC South looks to be wide open, I thought the Jags were overrated going into the season but the Colts were poor. Overall, like others said the AFC doesn't seem to have a definite dominance anymore.

Smooth Criminal
09-08-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm not ready to call the Steelers the class of the AFC, but they did look good. Its only week one.

Without Brady in the playoffs, home field advantage is going to be huge in the AFC. SD, Jax, and Indy all lost games they were expected to win, which may come back to haunt them later in the year.

yodabear
09-08-2008, 11:12 AM

Still doesn't help us Rams fans out, we started out by letting the Eagles' first team run us up and down the field, our offense got us 11 punts and a FG, and then we nearly gave up a TD to Kevin Kolb and Greg Lewis......

Geo
09-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Rams have a tough start to the season, you could see it looking at their schedule. Plus S-Jax is knocking off some rust, at Philly isn't a good place to do that.

Smooth Criminal
09-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Philly looks like a great team this year. I'm excited to see the Cowboys play them next week.

umphrey
09-08-2008, 11:17 AM
There were a ton of injuries even for week 1. More than I ever remember. Let me know if I missed a major one

Brady: Out for year, ACL
Merriman: Knee, playing hurt until he hurts it more
(Happened preseason, but thought it was worth a mention)
Addai: Head
Matthias Kiwanaka: Knee/ankle, will probably play
(note worthy given Giants dependence on pass rush and lack of depth)
Vince Young: Leg, 2-4 weeks
Jaguars 2 guards left the game
Marian Barber: bruised ribs
Donte Stallworth: Groin
Tony Romo: Chin, finger
Brodie Croyle: Shoulder
Dallas Clark
LT has turf toe? Gates left game as well but returned

Plus a bunch of other players left the game banged up

Three teams playing without their starting quarterback next week, or more?

Smooth Criminal
09-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Garcia is also questionable for this week. Brady, Croyle, and Young are all out.

bored of education
09-08-2008, 11:25 AM
poor Croyles. :(. Seriously can the Chiefs call up Matt Stafford?

yodabear
09-08-2008, 11:26 AM
There were a ton of injuries even for week 1. More than I ever remember. Let me know if I missed a major one

Brady: Out for year, ACL
Merriman: Knee, playing hurt until he hurts it more
(Happened preseason, but thought it was worth a mention)
Addai: Head
Matthias Kiwanaka: Knee/ankle, will probably play
(note worthy given Giants dependence on pass rush and lack of depth)
Vince Young: Leg, 2-4 weeks
Jaguars 2 guards left the game
Marian Barber: bruised ribs
Donte Stallworth: Groin
Tony Romo: Chin, finger
Brodie Croyle: Shoulder
Dallas Clark

Plus a bunch of other players left the game banged up

Three teams playing without their starting quarterback next week, or more?

Rams fans hearts.............

Going on Geo's point, our first 9 games are brutal.
@ Philly, well uh yeah
vs NYG, Defending super bowl champs who were 11-1 on the road last year.
@ SEA, Yeah Seattle is 0-1, but they are so good at home.
vs BUF, Very good team
@ WAS, Okay, two of the most dysfunctional teams us coming off a bye unfourtunantly on the road.
vs DAL, hahaha, Cowboys were prolly one of the best teams yesterday
@ NE: Football is more than a QB, the Pats are still tough.
vs AZ: Arizona was the best team in the NFC West yesterday granted it didn't take much.
@ NYJ: Oh 9 games, Favre will own us

Then we have the Niners so I can quit bitching.

CC.SD
09-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Rams fans hearts.............

Going on Geo's point, our first 9 games are brutal.
@ Philly, well uh yeah
vs NYG, Defending super bowl champs who were 11-1 on the road last year.
@ SEA, Yeah Seattle is 0-1, but they are so good at home.
vs BUF, Very good team
@ WAS, Okay, two of the most dysfunctional teams us coming off a bye unfourtunantly on the road.
vs DAL, hahaha, Cowboys were prolly one of the best teams yesterday
@ NE: Football is more than a QB, the Pats are still tough.
vs AZ: Arizona was the best team in the NFC West yesterday granted it didn't take much.
@ NYJ: Oh 9 games, Favre will own us

Then we have the Niners so I can quit bitching.

That is shaping up to be pretty dysfunctional, but I wouldn't abandon ship yet.

Prince 561
09-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Nothing surprised me more than every one of the 3 AFC powerhouses getting beat or basically had their season pissed away (Patriots):

Patriots
Colts
Chargers

Who's the class of the conference now, or even the whole NFL? I think we can cross the Patriots off without Brady. The Colts and Chargers both looked like mediocre teams at best.

Obviously we're jumping the gun here, but is the NFC the better conference now? Are the Cowboys the best team in the league?

Smooth Criminal
09-08-2008, 12:00 PM
With the loss of Brady, the Pats become an above average team. The Steelers looked dominant and now really become one of the top teams in the AFC.

SD and Indy will be fine. Manning looked very rusty. He just needs time in with the players. Clark and Addai injuries hurt their offense though.

SD has the talent on offense, Merriman is going to miss alot of time this season. could have an effect on their defense. Well see.

I see Jax taking a step back. Garrard's only strength was that he didn't throw INTs but he has in the opener and the playoffs last season. I think they fall back to about 8-8.

Geo
09-08-2008, 12:03 PM
The Jaguars offense will get better as the season goes on, Garrard will develop a rapport with his receivers (Jerry Porter for one).

CC.SD
09-08-2008, 12:07 PM
The Jaguars offense will get better as the season goes on, Garrard will develop a rapport with his receivers (Jerry Porter for one).

I agree, but I still think Porter's surgery will have lingering effects. Even with him at full strength, the Jags badly need another aerial threat, and god knows the draft isn't working out for them. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them make a play for Boldin at some point.

Smooth Criminal
09-08-2008, 12:08 PM
I don't think the Jags have the receivers they need. Theres no reason not to have 8 in the box against them all season long. Shut down the run game and they're done.

Prince 561
09-08-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't think the Jags have the receivers they need. Theres no reason not to have 8 in the box against them all season long. Shut down the run game and they're done.

Same with the Vikings though and people are talking about them as if they're the class of the NFC.

Geo
09-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Heard John Fox say that both Travelle Wharton and Jeff Otah have knee sprains. Not good for the Panthers offensive line.

Still, hell of a win yesterday.

Smooth Criminal
09-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Same with the Vikings though and people are talking about them as if they're the class of the NFC.

Bernard Berrian and Sidney Rice are solid receivers.

But I dont have them in my top 5 in the NFC anyways.

Smooth Criminal
09-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Heard John Fox say that both Travelle Wharton and Jeff Otah have knee sprains. Not good for the Panthers offensive line.

That would really hurt their OL. They invested alot of their future in trading back up to get Otah.

umphrey
09-08-2008, 01:01 PM

If you put 8 in the box Garrard can move the football. He'll complete passes to a lot of different receivers and he can avoid pressure. He doesn't make the offense but he moves the football when teams dare him to pass. A lot of below average QBs get the name "game manager" just because they can't complete passes past 10 yards. Garrard is a true game manager because he can make all the throws and he is efficient, but doesn't challenge a defense by himself.

Smooth Criminal
09-08-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't think the Jags have recievers that deserve any extra attention. Match your corners on them and you can shut them down.

MetSox17
09-08-2008, 01:14 PM
The Steelers obviously looked pretty good. But i don't know how much that was of the Texans just being really bad. Ugh, i have such high hopes for them and they just went to Pittsburgh and rolled over.

The Cowboys hit the ground running, barring an injury, they should cruise to a dominant record again this season. They're just too good offensively, and the defense is top ten. Unless there's another team that gets hot at the right time, they should find themselves in the Superbowl.

In the AFC it's a little weird now. Pittsburgh and Indianapolis, i think will still be there at the end. Jacksonville and San Diego need to start playing like they can. I wouldn't worry too much about the Chargers, but if Jacksonville doesn't find some playmakers outside of Taylor and MJD, they're gonna be in for a long season.

umphrey
09-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Like I said they have the quarterback. As long as the running game is working that is what moves the football for them. Garrard keeps the defense honest. Yeah most corners can cover their receivers but out of 3-4 targets Garrard usually can (and has) found someone to get the ball to. They also have the running backs and Garrard can scramble. They will see a lot of 3rd and 4, 3rd and 2 and with the offense they run those aren't hard to pick up. I think they move the football just fine with fewer turnovers than most teams in the league, which is very important.

Smooth Criminal
09-08-2008, 01:17 PM
I don't think Garrard has the season he had last year. He had a good year by not throwing INTs. In his last 3 games, he has thrown the ball to the other team to much.

Shut down the run game, and you shut down the entire Jaguars offense.

MetSox17
09-08-2008, 01:20 PM
I don't think Garrard has the season he had last year. He had a good year by not throwing INTs. In his last 3 games, he has thrown the ball to the other team to much.

Shut down the run game, and you shut down the entire Jaguars offense.

Don't let Jacksonville fans hear you, though. They'll start a "David Garrard isn't just a game manager (yes he is) quarterback!" argument.

Smooth Criminal
09-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Hes a game manager if there ever was one. He isn't a QB that can dominate the game and win it for you. If they dont have a powerful, consistent rushing attack, they're going to lose.

ShutDwn
09-08-2008, 02:01 PM

They are only day to day, and both are are in good spirits about them. Otah is a man out there.

Of course, most people are saying the Chargers lost the game.

Geo
09-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Whoever says that is an idiot. The Panthers clearly won that game.

CC.SD
09-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Whoever says that is an idiot. The Panthers clearly won that game.

I won't deny it; I think there was a locker room bet to see if the defense could miss fifty tackles and still win the game: they were two seconds away from it paying off.

The Colts lost worse, and the Pats got knifed in the groin, so overall I don't feel as bad as I normally would.

awfullyquiet
09-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Since when is being an above average game manager terrible?

CC.SD
09-08-2008, 02:46 PM

Nothing especially, but it means when your running game gets stuffed you're SOL.

Addict
09-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Garcia is also questionable for this week. Brady, Croyle, and Young are all out.

damn that's a lot of starting qb's. Is romo ok?

CC.SD
09-08-2008, 02:51 PM
damn that's a lot of starting qb's. Is romo ok?

He'll play but it looks like someone made love to his chin with a boxcutter.

Addict
09-08-2008, 03:27 PM
He'll play but it looks like went down on Jessica Simpson who forgot to wax down under

fixed for accuracy.

CC.SD
09-08-2008, 03:31 PM
fixed for accuracy.

CC's boss: "What are you snorting at over there?"
CC: "...These media contact lists...they're uh, put together so poorly...?"

MetSox17
09-08-2008, 03:33 PM

Oh, no one said it was a terrible thing. But it's not necessarily good either.

Addict
09-08-2008, 03:36 PM
CC's boss: "What are you snorting at over there?"
CC: "...These media contact lists...they're uh, put together so poorly...?"

you should have replied "coke".

CC.SD
09-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Speaking of Week 1 Anarchy, I don't know how much of this showed up on TV, but at one point during Chargers/Panthers the play got stopped, and the ref came out and said "There was no stoppage of play, the whistle came from the stands."

Before the next play, the entire stadium was whistling nonstop. I lawled.

CC.SD
09-08-2008, 03:37 PM
you should have replied "coke".

Wouldn't want him to actually start searching around for it. Gotta keep myself entertained somehow!

Addict
09-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Wouldn't want him to actually start searching around for it. Gotta keep myself entertained somehow!

hmmm point taken. if you have a collegue nearby, whenever you almost get caught doing anything, just whisper "don't do that, man!" his way and you're in the clear again.

CC.SD
09-08-2008, 03:49 PM
hmmm point taken. if you have a collegue nearby, whenever you almost get caught doing anything, just whisper "don't do that, man!" his way and you're in the clear again.

I'll try that.

"Hey man, that's risky, I thought you were on parole!"

Smooth Criminal
09-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Add the doubts about the Jags to a season ender to Manuwai, Williams out for atleast 2 months, Meester already out, and Collier shot, they have a serious problem on the offensive line.

mqtirishfan
09-08-2008, 04:30 PM
The loss of Brady will have serious implications on the AFC East and I expect the bills to now definately make the playoffs.

Unless Cassel is able to lead them efficiently.

yourfavestoner
09-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Add the doubts about the Jags to a season ender to Manuwai, Williams out for atleast 2 months, Meester already out, and Collier shot, they have a serious problem on the offensive line.

Season=over

giantsfan
09-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Hes a game manager if there ever was one. He isn't a QB that can dominate the game and win it for you. If they dont have a powerful, consistent rushing attack, they're going to lose.

But Gerrard does enough to keep teams honest which lets the jags have that powerful consistent rushing attack without teams putting 8 in the box. i mean do you think not a single defensive co-ordinator who's played against the jags has thought of using 8 in the box against the run?

Smooth Criminal
09-08-2008, 04:37 PM
But Gerrard does enough to keep teams honest which lets the jags have that powerful consistent rushing attack without teams putting 8 in the box. i mean do you think not a single defensive co-ordinator who's played against the jags has thought of using 8 in the box against the run?

Alot of them do. And they still have trouble stopping the run. But with the interior of their line injured the run game isn't going to be as dependable this season.

giantsfan
09-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Alot of them do. And they still have trouble stopping the run. But with the interior of their line injured the run game isn't going to be as dependable this season.

yeah, just read that after my post, hopefully they can get some people to step up on the line and in the receiving corps.

Geo
09-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Add the doubts about the Jags to a season ender to Manuwai, Williams out for atleast 2 months
Wow, I wasn't aware of this. Ouch.

The Colts may be fortunate playing the Jags in Week 3, so soon into the season.

CC.SD
09-08-2008, 05:05 PM
It should be a great game; not a lot of room for error in the AFC South, what a surprise.

Smooth Criminal
09-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Wow, I wasn't aware of this. Ouch.

The Colts may be fortunate playing the Jags in Week 3, so soon into the season.

Could be cause there was some other injury that was talked about all day while they managed to ignore everything else that happened yesterday.

BBIB
09-09-2008, 12:55 PM
The Falcons have a better record than the Chargers, Jags, Colts, and Patriots

giantsfan
09-09-2008, 12:58 PM
The Falcons have a better record than the Chargers, Jags, Colts, and Patriots

false (10 char)

21ST
09-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Jacksonville's offensive line needs to get healthy - and fast.

Am i the only one that noticed that is a picture of an ass of yoppers

bigbluedefense
09-11-2008, 05:19 AM
My Week One Thoughts

If I was a Ravens fan, I couldn't hate Rex Ryan rushing only three players enough. It's stupid, it never works. Get a fourth rusher there, whereever he comes from.

Water Pistol Pennington could never have produced either of the two passing touchdowns that Brett Favre did today as quarterback of the New York Jets.

Kooky stat #1: The Arizona Cardinals and Tennessee Titans lead their respective divisions, with the rest all 0-1.

If only Reggie Bush was in an offense that used him properly, things haven't changed for the better this season. And yet he still makes plays despite that handicap.

Performance of the week: I'll give it to the Carolina Panthers team as a whole. Phenomenal job, coming out with a win.

The Kansas City Chiefs got into the game once Damon Huard came into the game. Can't say I was surprised.

Nevermind the Chiefs, it's going to be a long season for Lions and Rams fans. I thought so before the Week 1 games, but now everyone gets a good first look for themselves.

Kooky stat #2: Brian Moorman will (reportedly) throw more touchdowns in 2008 than Tom Brady.

Was Ken Wisenhunt the absolute best fit for the personnel the Arizona Cardinals had when he got there? Probably not, doubtful. Is he a good head coach? I think so. With Kurt Warner as his starting quarterback from day one, his team will contend for a playoff berth.

Line of the week: "The Titans are dragging Vince Young to the finish line." At least they have a playmaker at runningback with Chris Johnson now.

Im gonna need to see more from Bush before I turn the corner on him. I didn't like his smug attitude after the game though. He has a lot to prove, but he acts like he already arrived.

I dont get whats wrong with the Ryan brothers. Buddy needs to show them some old clips of his blitz packages.