PDA

View Full Version : BlindSite's week 1 Breakdown

BlindSite
09-07-2008, 10:35 PM
I did one of these last year from I think about week 9 onwards and I feel like continuing .

I would also like to apologise in advance for any mis-spellings of names or mistakes in naming players, I'm sick as a dog today and my mind isn't 100%, furthermore any omissions from great performances or poor is no reflection on me, its just a matter of space.

So here goes

Week 1 Sunday Wrap Up

Break Out Performers
Michael Turner was expected to be a serviceable running back outside of LaDanian Tomlinson’s shadow and while it was expected he’d perform well in Atlanta, no one could’ve foreseen two hundred yards plus and a 10 yard per carry average playing behind such a young offensive line. In the same performance it should be noted that his rushing partner almost racked up a hundred yards on his own and John Abraham is making a serious case for defensive player of the week with 3 sacks in limited playing time. Sure this all came against an obvious contender for the first overall pick in Detroit, but no one could have predicted such an explosive game from Turner or from the Falcons as a unit, Kudos to all involved.

Honorable Mention:
Bo Scaife

Coach losing Sleep
After spending most of the offseason continuing to pump up starter Derek Anderson and keeping Brady Quinn on the bench the offensive showing from Cleveland was very poor. A team that last year went seven and one at home looked weak and ineffective against a talented Dallas Unit. Anderson used many of his 11 completions on check downs and failed to establish the needed rapport with WR Braylon Edwards. Crennel not only failed to call smart plays and have his team truly ready but his game management left a lot to be desired. The four drops from your superstar wide receiver has to hurt as well.

Honorable mentions:
Bill Belichick
Tony Dungy
Norv Turner
Mike Nolan
Mike Holmgren

Coach sleeping Easy
Mike Smith will find it easy to rest Sunday night after his team’s performance highlighted by 300 yards rushing and 8.3 yards per play on offense. While the Falcons still aren’t realistically expected to be in the playoff hunt this year, the play of a youth orientated team has to have him comfortable with the future. After the team fell apart in the locker room and on the field the Falcons well and truly went back to the drawing board this offseason and it looks good so far. Possibly more telling than the rushing stats and the quarterback’s nice debut is the performance of the defensive front whom allowed less than one hundred yards rushing (62), forced an INT and recorded three sacks. Though all of this came against the Lions were a 77% favorite and no one expected such a result.

Honorable Mentions:
John Fox
Mike Tomlin
Andy Reid

Player Losing Sleep
Peyton Manning was facing a defense that should’ve been widely familiar. A defense that his ability should’ve been able to navigate to success. The Bears shocked him pretty easily using none too simple blitzes and zone packages which left the Colts’ signal caller baffled and ineffective. Several balls were clearly thrown wide, high or short in the Colts loss and Manning couldn’t have looked further from his old self. The knee injury and lack of snaps in preseason have undoubtedly hurt his preparation, the question now becomes, can he bounce back?

QB Watch
It’s hard to go past Donovan McNabb’s performance this week. Twenty One of thirty-three and three touchdowns is a strong performance coming off two disjointed years. McNabb, once considered one of the best quarter backs in the NFL made a massive statement though against a poor defense. Three receivers managed over one hundred receiving yards, which is a monumental effort from all. The NFC East just gets more competitive.

Honorable Mention:
Drew Brees

Rookie of the week
Good performances from a lot of players this week and mentions go to a few players:
Antoine “The Real Deal” Casone couldn’t have done more to help his Chargers today by forcing a fumble and breaking up two passes on Delhomme’s fourth quarter drive.

Matt Ryan threw a TD pass on his first ever regular NFL season attempt. That’s pretty good however you look at it, the standout from the Falcons though was definitely Sam Baker.

Chris Johnson’s big day deserves a mention helping the hobbled Titans offense to a strong victory over a very good Jaguars team.

Keith Rivers 10 tackle performance has to be considered a great start.

Joe Flacco’s debut though unspectacular shows that the Ravens are headed in the right direction (finally) at the QB position.

Felix Jones showed a great amount of strength barreling through defenders on his way to his first touchdown an 11 yarder against Cleveland.

Matt Forte looks like a keeper after a breakaway touchdown in the first quarter and a hundred and yard day.

Homer Corner
See title before complaining
Dante Rosario had a standout performance today for a second year player. The Carolina Panthers missed Steve Smith a lot today and could’ve done better in the second half of the game. But, what a show of mettle and determination from Jake Delhomme who without his best receiver, without his offensive line staying together through the whole game, managed to put together a great drive and throw a pin point strike with the clock reading 00 for the win. It might just be the first week, but perhaps thinking the Panthers could win their division isn’t such stretch.

Key Injuries
Its near impossible to go past Tom Brady here, big time ACL tear in the first quarter of the first game of what could be a championship season. While the jury is still out as to how long Tom Brady will miss with the knee injury and its severity it’s hard to envision him coming back to pull out a SB season this year. While the Pats still have a very strong unit and Matt Cassel showed a glimmer of talent against a poor KC defense it’s hard to envision a repeat season without the NFL’s reigning MVP who helped build the best offense ever seen and who threw for fifty touchdown passes last year.

Update: Tom Brady officially lost for the year :link: (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80a95089&template=with-video&confirm=true)

Honorable Mention:
Marion Barber (ribs)
Vince Young (sprained knee)

Monday Night prediction
Both of these divisional match ups should set the tone for their respective divisions, with the Colts going down to the Bears and the Lions going down to the Falcons the winner of the Green bay and Minnesota match will give one of the team’s a chance to keep pace with the bears in the division. It will also show how far Jackson has come this offseason facing a potent front seven and just how bankable Aaron Rogers is. In the AFC West with the Chargers faltering against Carolina and the Chiefs going down to the Pats the AFC West appears wide open at this early juncture. Though the Chargers should be able to right the ship relatively quickly the Raiders defense is on the cusp of special and JaMarcus Russell will face what is recognized as the best cornerback tandem in the NFL. As far as a real balls out prediction, I see Greenbay winning through a largely defensive effort due in part to the suspension of McKinnie and I see the Raiders winning in a hard fought match through their defensive brilliance and what appears to be the makings of a powerful rushing attack.

Bruce Banner
09-07-2008, 10:39 PM
This can't be BlindSite.

BlindSite
09-07-2008, 10:42 PM
I kidnapped him

Iamcanadian
09-08-2008, 12:10 AM
I did one of these last year from I think about week 9 onwards and I feel like continuing .

I would also like to apologise in advance for any mis-spellings of names or mistakes in naming players, I'm sick as a dog today and my mind isn't 100%, furthermore any omissions from great performances or poor is no reflection on me, its just a matter of space.

So here goes

Week 1 Sunday Wrap Up

Break Out Performers
Michael Turner was expected to be a serviceable running back outside of LaDanian Tomlinson’s shadow and while it was expected he’d perform well in Atlanta, no one could’ve foreseen two hundred yards plus and a 10 yard per carry average playing behind such a young offensive line. In the same performance it should be noted that his rushing partner almost racked up a hundred yards on his own and John Abraham is making a serious case for defensive player of the week with 3 sacks in limited playing time. Sure this all came against an obvious contender for the first overall pick in Detroit, but no one could have predicted such an explosive game from Turner or from the Falcons as a unit, Kudos to all involved.

Turner looked great, no doubt, but every offensive player will be watering at the mouth thinking of playing against Detroit's defense.

Honorable Mention:
Bo Scaife

Coach losing Sleep
After spending most of the offseason continuing to pump up starter Derek Anderson and keeping Brady Quinn on the bench the offensive showing from Cleveland was very poor. A team that last year went seven and one at home looked weak and ineffective against a talented Dallas Unit. Anderson used many of his 11 completions on check downs and failed to establish the needed rapport with WR Braylon Edwards. Crennel not only failed to call smart plays and have his team truly ready but his game management left a lot to be desired. The four drops from your superstar wide receiver has to hurt as well.

Honorable mentions:
Bill Belichick
Tony Dungy
Norv Turner
Mike Nolan
Mike Holmgren

Considering how many balls Edwards dropped today, I still think Cleveland will be all right although their schedule is formable.
I'd add these HC's to your list:
Marinelli
Lewis
Linehan
Edwards

Coach sleeping Easy
Mike Smith will find it easy to rest Sunday night after his team’s performance highlighted by 300 yards rushing and 8.3 yards per play on offense. While the Falcons still aren’t realistically expected to be in the playoff hunt this year, the play of a youth orientated team has to have him comfortable with the future. After the team fell apart in the locker room and on the field the Falcons well and truly went back to the drawing board this offseason and it looks good so far. Possibly more telling than the rushing stats and the quarterback’s nice debut is the performance of the defensive front whom allowed less than one hundred yards rushing (62), forced an INT and recorded three sacks. Though all of this came against the Lions were a 77% favorite and no one expected such a result.

Honorable Mentions:
John Fox
Mike Tomlin
Andy Reid

Player Losing Sleep
Peyton Manning was facing a defense that should’ve been widely familiar. A defense that his ability should’ve been able to navigate to success. The Bears shocked him pretty easily using none too simple blitzes and zone packages which left the Colts’ signal caller baffled and ineffective. Several balls were clearly thrown wide, high or short in the Colts loss and Manning couldn’t have looked further from his old self. The knee injury and lack of snaps in preseason have undoubtedly hurt his preparation, the question now becomes, can he bounce back?

I agree although Dungy may ponder where his defense went.

QB Watch
It’s hard to go past Donovan McNabb’s performance this week. Twenty One of thirty-three and three touchdowns is a strong performance coming off two disjointed years. McNabb, once considered one of the best quarter backs in the NFL made a massive statement though against a poor defense. Three receivers managed over one hundred receiving yards, which is a monumental effort from all. The NFC East just gets more competitive.

Honorable Mention:
Drew Brees

McNabb has always been the real deal as long as he stays healthy.

Rookie of the week
Good performances from a lot of players this week and mentions go to a few players:
Antoine “The Real Deal” Casone couldn’t have done more to help his Chargers today by forcing a fumble and breaking up two passes on Delhomme’s fourth quarter drive.

Matt Ryan threw a TD pass on his first ever regular NFL season attempt. That’s pretty good however you look at it, the standout from the Falcons though was definitely Sam Baker.

Chris Johnson’s big day deserves a mention helping the hobbled Titans offense to a strong victory over a very good Jaguars team.

I guess all the draft pundits were wrong for criticizing the Johnson pick.

Keith Rivers 10 tackle performance has to be considered a great start.

Joe Flacco’s debut though unspectacular shows that the Ravens are headed in the right direction (finally) at the QB position.

Looks perhaps that all the people who criticized Ryan and Flacco might have to eat their words someday.

Felix Jones showed a great amount of strength barreling through defenders on his way to his first touchdown an 11 yarder against Cleveland.

Matt Forte looks like a keeper after a breakaway touchdown in the first quarter and a hundred and yard day.

Homer Corner
See title before complaining
Dante Rosario had a standout performance today for a second year player. The Carolina Panthers missed Steve Smith a lot today and could’ve done better in the second half of the game. But, what a show of mettle and determination from Jake Delhomme who without his best receiver, without his offensive line staying together through the whole game, managed to put together a great drive and throw a pin point strike with the clock reading 00 for the win. It might just be the first week, but perhaps thinking the Panthers could win their division isn’t such stretch.

What was really impressive to me was Delhomme's arm. He seems completely recovered from his surgery and is dangerous again.

Key Injuries
Its near impossible to go past Tom Brady here, big time ACL tear in the first quarter of the first game of what could be a championship season. While the jury is still out as to how long Tom Brady will miss with the knee injury and its severity it’s hard to envision him coming back to pull out a SB season this year. While the Pats still have a very strong unit and Matt Cassel showed a glimmer of talent against a poor KC defense it’s hard to envision a repeat season without the NFL’s reigning MVP who helped build the best offense ever seen and who threw for fifty touchdown passes last year.

Honorable Mention:
Marion Barber (ribs)
Vince Young (sprained knee)

Monday Night prediction
Both of these divisional match ups should set the tone for their respective divisions, with the Colts going down to the Bears and the Lions going down to the Falcons the winner of the Green bay and Minnesota match will give one of the team’s a chance to keep pace with the bears in the division. It will also show how far Jackson has come this offseason facing a potent front seven and just how bankable Aaron Rogers is. In the AFC West with the Chargers faltering against Carolina and the Chiefs going down to the Pats the AFC West appears wide open at this early juncture. Though the Chargers should be able to right the ship relatively quickly the Raiders defense is on the cusp of special and JaMarcus Russell will face what is recognized as the best cornerback tandem in the NFL. As far as a real balls out prediction, I see Greenbay winning through a largely defensive effort due in part to the suspension of McKinnie and I see the Raiders winning in a hard fought match through their defensive brilliance and what appears to be the makings of a powerful rushing attack.

I'm going the other way. Jackson if fully healthy will take the next step and as long as Peterson stays healthy, Minny will win the Division.
I agree that San Diego appears vulnerable especially with Turner as their HC but it is unclear to me who between Denver and Oakland will step forward to challenge. Cutler could have a breakout season and I think Russell is still at least a year away from true effectiveness.

CJSchneider
09-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Player Losing Sleep

I would say Tom Brady, but with the meds he's on tonight, he's sleeping like a baby.

SaintsMan
09-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Tracy Porter started for the Saints, defended 2 passes and played very well. But he plays for the Saints, so I wouldn't expect him to be mentioned by you.

BlindSite
09-08-2008, 12:29 AM

Tracy Porter started for the Saints, defended 2 passes and played very well. But he plays for the Saints, so I wouldn't expect him to be mentioned by you.

I'm frightfully sorry I didn't want to spend more than an hour on this so I could include every player on your roster.

Have a wonderful day.

mqtirishfan
09-08-2008, 04:34 PM
No love for Super Mario?

awfullyquiet
09-08-2008, 04:47 PM
i know we're for inclusion. but is this necessary?

DraftMichaelHuff
09-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Props for not just fluffing Matt Ryan's pillow and aknowledging Sam Bakers play. He seems set for a Marcus McNeil type rookie year and is the best Offensive linemen from the draft so far. John Abraham literally drove him to exaustion day after day at training camp giving him his best stuff and literally that is the last time a DE has even looked like getting the better of Baker through 4 PS games and yesterday while he is a far greater run blocker (see turners highlights) than i gave him credit for and is yet to give away a penalty. I thought this was a reach at the time but now i love it.

Nice call on Manning too, that just didnt seem like the colts yesterday. Age seems to be catchin up with them

Chucky
09-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Props for not just fluffing Matt Ryan's pillow and aknowledging Sam Bakers play. He seems set for a Marcus McNeil type rookie year and is the best Offensive linemen from the draft so far. John Abraham literally drove him to exaustion day after day at training camp giving him his best stuff and literally that is the last time a DE has even looked like getting the better of Baker through 4 PS games and yesterday while he is a far greater run blocker (see turners highlights) than i gave him credit for and is yet to give away a penalty. I thought this was a reach at the time but now i love it.

Nice call on Manning too, that just didnt seem like the colts yesterday. Age seems to be catchin up with them

The lions D-line is awful, I would not put too much into Baker's performance

princefielder28
09-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Dwight Lowery played very well for the Jets and should emerge as their #2 CB...throw his name on the rookie props section

BlindSite
09-08-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm keeping a list of the guys mentioned so far and I'll keep an eye out for their play. Again, I apologise if I missed people, but its not easy to include everyone who had a good game.