PDA

View Full Version : Playoff team with a losing record?

wicket
09-09-2008, 05:35 AM
Purely based on first impressions the NFC west doesnt look as strong as some other divisions. I think since the receivers in Seattle are all injured one has the chance to win this division with an even or losing record. Would this be a first? And who do you think the favourite is to win the division.

Yatta!
09-09-2008, 05:54 AM
I'll go with the Cards for now, Warner will be able to get the offense ticking over. The Seahawks have the talent but with their injuries and lack of a running game, they could find themselves playing catch up very early in the season.

Shane P. Hallam
09-09-2008, 06:21 AM
All 4 looked pretty bad TBH. Even Arizona vs. SF didn't thrill me either way. If Seattle gets healthy, they have the defensive players to do it. The lack of a running game kills them really, toss in hurt WRs, and it stings.

Losing record may be understating it (and it would be the first), but 8-8 could happen.

eaglesalltheway
09-09-2008, 07:07 AM
Wow, the poll is not reflective of how close this is. 6 votes for AZ, 0 for all the others. This for me, was not a matter of who I wanted to choose, but who I didn't want to choose the least. It really is close. Seattle is up there, and SF could push if their defense can play well. The Rams, even after what they showed this past week, can still contend. They have a good QB and a top 5 RB in the league. They have a few young guys on the defensive line who can make an impact. Wow, this really is a close division, and anyone could get it.

I chose AZ because they have a ton of talent on offense, and they may be able to outscore their division rivals enough to get the nod.

Smooth Criminal
09-09-2008, 07:45 AM
I hate the Cardinals winning the West, either 7-9 or 8-8.

Menardo75
09-09-2008, 05:14 PM
49ers will win it as soon as there offense has a little TOP

BlindSite
09-09-2008, 05:53 PM
I think its possible, but then again if Arizona is really the class of that division they should be able to get 6 wins out of it. (Sweeping everyone).

Then its a matter of finding 3 other wins that year which isn't that easy of a feat. Maybe Washington, maybe Miami are the only 2 clear cut bad teams on their schedule outside of their division.

They run into the buzz saw that is the NFC East so that's 3 or 4 losses right there.

If anyone can fall ass backwards into the playoffs its the cardinals.

abaddon41_80
09-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Did someone vote for the Rams for fun or were they serious? :confused:

GB12
09-09-2008, 07:56 PM
I think they could do it at .500 again, but I still don't believe we'll see a playoff team with a losing record.

bearsfan_51
09-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Statistically it's almost impossible to have a division winner with a losing record, simply because 6 of your 16 games are inter-divisional.

I'll go out on something of a limb and predict that the Cardinals and Seahawks still both have winning records next year, albeit probably no more than 9-10 wins. The Rams and Niners are just that terrible.

BeerBaron
09-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Statistically it's almost impossible to have a division winner with a losing record, simply because 6 of your 16 games are inter-divisional.

I'll go out on something of a limb and predict that the Cardinals and Seahawks still both have winning records next year, albeit probably no more than 9-10 wins. The Rams and Niners are just that terrible.

I theory, you could have all 4 teams in the division go 3-13. 3-3 in their division games and losing to everyone else......VERY unlikely but it makes 7-9 not seem so crazy should it happen.

I don't think it will though. If Seattle gets healthy, i think they can eek out at least 8-8 and if Arizona can stick with it, they could do a little better than that. Someone out of there will hit at least .500 i'm sure

princefielder28
09-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Arizona seems to be the popular choice