PDA

View Full Version : play by play scouting report-james laurinitis vs ohio u

STARHEATHER
09-09-2008, 12:42 PM
total ohio u offensive plays 55
non factor in play 25
negative plays -25
17 plays laurinitis was blocked and unable to shed the block (12 run, 5 blitz)
4 plays he was the "3rd man in" on the play
3 missed tackle
1 beaten in coverage

positive plays +5
2 good coverage
2 solo tackles
1 int (tipped pass)

what luarinitis does well
solid coverage skills
looose hips, natural athletic, moves well laterally

what laurinitis doesnt do well
shed blocks. dont ever expect him to make an nfl tackle after a body is on him. he couldnt do it vs ohio u.
blitz- if there any hint of a blocker, laurinitis cannot get in the backfield, either in the pass game or run game. better suited to read and drop into coverage.

final synopsis- in watching the tape, you see that laurinitis is a good natural athlete with good coverage skills and good lateral movement. the problem is, that laurinitis doesnt translate that into many positive defensive plays. the defensive scheme dropped him in coverage on many plays to his strength, even against a spread team with a 2nd string qb. in the run game, laurinitis is pretty much of a non factor. he doesnt hit with any force, doesnt shed blocks, misses tackles. not the recipe for a top end nfl lb. in the pass game, showed solid coverage skills, but shows 0 pass rush skills. the best nfl lbs shed tackles and make the play, get backfield penetration in the run game, dont miss tackles,and show pass rush skills. he displays none of these skills.

game grade d
draft projection rd 2
draft value rd 5

theres really not much chance of being a top end nfl lb. average nfl player at best

Race for the Heisman
09-09-2008, 02:29 PM
So one game makes a player?

Cribbs>Hester
09-09-2008, 02:36 PM

His scouting report was right no the money, and maybe this was one game, but no one game does not make a player. The sad thing is that James Laurinaitis has been doing this almost every game. I've watched him play every game since the day he started here at OSU and this sounds exactly like his play.

The only way James Laurinaitis will ever be successful in the NFL is if he plays in a 43 and have two moster defensive tackles in front of him. I'm talking Albert Haynesworth and John Henderson type dominate DT's in front of him to keep blockers off of him and let him run side line to side line.

summond822
09-09-2008, 02:41 PM

I don't think thatswhat he's saying. He projected where Laurinitis is expected to go, which is what everyone is saying. Then he went on and pointed out the flaws in his game that have been said by quite a few people, in that Laurinitis is not able to shed blockers.

You also have to take into account that they are playing an inferior team, and a NFL quality prospect should shine in such a game.

I think that it is going to be interesting to watch Laurinitis and see what is going to happen to his draft stock, especially when it gets time for the combine and senior bowl.

eaglesalltheway
09-09-2008, 02:44 PM
mythbusta, I am have been doing things like this this season, and plan on doing more. Maybe we should communicate so we don't do someoen at the same time. I'll give you ideas on who to go after and you can do the same for me. Who are you planning on doing this weekend? Its weird how you are coming up with the same ideas I am.

Bengals78
09-09-2008, 02:48 PM
The analysis is on the money no doubt. Ive always thought he was overrated badly. He has rode the coat tails of AJ Hawk who is an incredible athlete and has no real weak spots in his game

Race for the Heisman
09-09-2008, 02:55 PM
His scouting report was right no the money, and maybe this was one game, but no one game does not make a player. The sad thing is that James Laurinaitis has been doing this almost every game. I've watched him play every game since the day he started here at OSU and this sounds exactly like his play.

The only way James Laurinaitis will ever be successful in the NFL is if he plays in a 43 and have two moster defensive tackles in front of him. I'm talking Albert Haynesworth and John Henderson type dominate DT's in front of him to keep blockers off of him and let him run side line to side line.

I know Laurinaitis has plenty of flaws as a prospect, and I know that for the most part mythbusta's analysis of his strengths and weaknesses is accurate. That does not mean that his final analysis is correct. If I were to judge a player on a single game, good or bad, I might tell you that Eli Manning is one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL (Vikings last year) or the Rex Grossman is elite ('Good Rex'). Laurinaitis could be successful in roles other than as a MLB and and he could still have success in that role. Put on the Wisconsin tape from last year and tell me the same thing. Yes, he's a pile jumper and his stats are inflated. He still plays football very well and is athletic enough to deserve to be called a upper echelon prospect.

STARHEATHER
09-09-2008, 03:09 PM
well, i mean elis playing in nfl games. so is rex. its a little different talent level than ohio u. my question would be, if he has so many flaws as a prospect, why everywhere one looks hes a top 10 prospect. . a top 10 lb needs to have really no flaws. anyway its an analysis of one game. i cant say i saw the wisc tape, but one could obtain tape of lsu or illinois and say he was terrible in those games, and one would see a similar analysis. hes very fluid, good hips natually athletic, moves well. the problem is the things he doesnt do well. its just as important as what a player does do well, often more important. he has glaring weaknesses. you dont want your lbs missing tackles and getting swallowed by blockers. its a recipe for disaster. and no ones having nightmares of being hit by laurinitis.

underscore
09-09-2008, 05:18 PM
That scouting report sums up his career, not just one game.

d34ng3l021
09-09-2008, 06:13 PM
thats pretty cool. you should do it more often.

WCH
09-10-2008, 05:57 PM
I'd be shocked if that's not how the bulk of the NFL has him graded (by which I mean, the teams who devote suffient resources to the scouting deparment).

Unless he pulls out a combine performance for the ages, this dude is going to go a lot later than most people are predicting.

Sniper
09-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Put on the Wisconsin tape from last year and tell me the same thing.

I'll see your Wisconsin game and raise you an LSU game.

keylime_5
09-10-2008, 06:56 PM
First half of the Ohio game James was pedestrian. Second half he was great. That tipped pass by Freeman set up a great interception by James. He had something like 5 or 6 solo tackles and was spectacular in coverage (albeit against crap WRs) in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Don't care about that though, we know he can play like a 2 time allamerican, I wanna see him against USC and how he does with those good runningbacks.

Bruce Banner
09-10-2008, 07:06 PM
First half of the Ohio game James was pedestrian. Second half he was great. That tipped pass by Freeman set up a great interception by James. He had something like 5 or 6 solo tackles and was spectacular in coverage (albeit against crap WRs) in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Don't care about that though, we know he can play like a 2 time allamerican, I wanna see him against USC and how he does with those good runningbacks.

James is always in position to make turnovers.

Sniper
09-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Myth, out of 55 plays, how many times did Laurinaitis jump on the top of the pile at the end of the play? It's gotta be off the charts.

Babylon
09-10-2008, 07:11 PM

I think he played better in his early years when he had better D-lineman in front of him. There is a direct correlation between effective backers and good lineman, or in some case schemes, in front of them. Whether it's Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher they need help.

djp
09-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Wow, nice report.

STARHEATHER
09-10-2008, 07:43 PM
2 solos the entire game. i only saw two unassisted tackles

Iamcanadian
09-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Laurinaitis is a top 10 prospect, there is no doubt about it. The Ohio U. game was a trap game plain and simple. They simply caught Ohio St. looking ahead to USC and played like it. Using a trap game to scout a player is a complete waste of time and practically worthless.
Laurinaitis is the real deal and if your pro team is lucky enough to draft him, they will be sitting pretty at MLB for a decade. People who say he isn't a solid prospect haven't a clue about scouting and are wasting their time in this hobby.

Sniper
09-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Laurinaitis is a top 10 prospect, there is no doubt about it

There's plenty of doubt. Let me know when he finally sheds a blocker.

Iamcanadian
09-10-2008, 07:50 PM
There's plenty of doubt. Let me know when he finally sheds a blocker.

Well, when the draft takes place we'll see who is the better appraiser of talent.

Sniper
09-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Well, when the draft takes place we'll see who is the better appraiser of talent.

When the draft comes, he still won't know how to shed a block.

Iamcanadian
09-10-2008, 08:07 PM
When the draft comes, he still won't know how to shed a block.

Well, I think I'll take a pro scout, HC and GM's opinion over yours. Laurinaitis isn't the tackler that Maualuga is but his overall game is far sounder and his ability in coverage is unmatched. He diagnosis plays far better than Maualuga and is rarely out of position. He has very little problem in keeping blockers off him and is almost always in position to make the play. I suggest you watch a lot more film on him before rushing to judgment.

Sniper
09-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Well, I think I'll take a pro scout, HC and GM's opinion over yours. Laurinaitis isn't the tackler that Maualuga is but his overall game is far sounder and his ability in coverage is unmatched. He diagnosis plays far better than Maualuga and is rarely out of position. He has very little problem in keeping blockers off him and is almost always in position to make the play. I suggest you watch a lot more film on him before rushing to judgment.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA dumbest statement ever. Even the Buckeye fans will tell you he can't shed a block. Oh sweet Jesus that's ******* priceless.

http://www.mikeroberto.com/2008/01/14/james-laurinaitis-ohio-states-most-overrated-linebacker-ever/

1. Read
2. Look at pictures
3. Realize stupidity of bolded/italicized/underlined comment

Iamcanadian
09-10-2008, 08:48 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA dumbest statement ever. Even the Buckeye fans will tell you he can't shed a block. Oh sweet Jesus that's ******* priceless.

http://www.mikeroberto.com/2008/01/14/james-laurinaitis-ohio-states-most-overrated-linebacker-ever/

1. Read
2. Look at pictures
3. Realize stupidity of bolded/italicized/underlined comment

Well I guess you like to use statements from team's fans to rank your players, I prefer the statements from people like Scott and Mayock. Mayock was reviewing Laurinaitis the other night and showed a lot of film on him on how effective he was at keeping blockers away from him, getting into perfect position and making tackles. Scott's comments on Laurinaitis simply says he is equally effective both against the pass and the run. But you go on relying on fans for your judgment and we'll see who has the last laugh.:roll:

Sniper
09-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Well I guess you like to use statements from team's fans to rank your players, I prefer the statements from people like Scott and Mayock. Mayock was reviewing Laurinaitis the other night and showed a lot of film on him on how effective he was at keeping blockers away from him, getting into perfect position and making tackles. Scott's comments on Laurinaitis simply says he is equally effective both against the pass and the run. But you go on relying on fans for your judgment and we'll see who has the last laugh.:roll:

Yes, don't rely on people who watch every snap the guy plays because they don't get paid to do it. That makes a whole lot of sense. Completely throw out their opinion, because they aren't on TV wearing a suit. Sean Salisbury was clearly the best NFL analyst. I mean, he was on TV! Did you even bother to look at the link I posted? Every SINGLE OSU fan I've spoken to about Laurinaitis says his biggest weakness is block shedding. But again, what do they know?

SenorGato
09-11-2008, 12:09 AM
I think theres too much focus on what players can't do and not on what they can do and what they can learn to do.

It's why the combine has become more and more important.

Agreed that JL has flaws, but I can't agree with the severely negative opinion on him right now. Not that I think he's super amazing either. I'm going to figure out a more solid opinion eventually...closer to next April.

keylime_5
09-11-2008, 08:20 AM
Block shedding is his weakness, but that's not to say he doesn't ever shed blocks b/c he does.....and not every good linebacker sheds blocks that well. Ray Lewis and Derrick Johnson and basically all those little tiny cover 2 LBs' games aren't to come off offensive linemen to make tackles, they run laterally and make the plays.