PDA

View Full Version : How good is Taylor Mays?

foozball
09-09-2008, 05:28 PM
For the past few years, there always seems to be an elite safety prospect at the beginning of the season. Is Taylor Mays really that good? With all the hype about his size/speed, he seems a lock to be a top 15 pick. But can he really live up to those expectations? Kenny Phillips was deemed the best safety prospect since Sean Taylor but he was a big disappointment in that regard. Is Mays another Phillips?

How does he stack up against Landry, Nelson, Whitner, and the other top safeties that have come out in recent years?

STARHEATHER
09-09-2008, 06:11 PM
hes not good at all. i watched several of their tapes, he literally doesnt do anything. its not that he makes bad plays. its just he doesnt make any plays. ive never seen great ball skills exhibited. never seen him come up on run support and lay the wood. his measurables are overrated, and even if not he doesnt play to his supposed speed surely. one of those dudes you just dont know because he just doesnt do anything you want to see from an nfl top end safety. maybe hell flash something this year but until this dude makes some good picks or hit someone other than a defenseless wr vs fresno st i dont see him as a good prospect. maybe theyre holding him back, who knows but i dont know you could put on a game tape and `watch and call him a top prospect. until i see nfl safety stuff not sold

Babylon
09-09-2008, 08:33 PM
If i'm looking for a safety i'd rather have Patrick Chung but no denying Mays is a physical freak. I think part of the problem with that defense at SC is some guys get lost in the shuffle.

Cigaro
09-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Not that great.

KCJ58
09-09-2008, 08:56 PM
not as good as Kevin Ellison

BRAVEHEART
09-09-2008, 09:25 PM
He's so overrated that he's underrated (if that makes any sense). As a trojan fan I have almost watched all of his games and I'll tell you his positives and negatives (IMO)

Positives-

1. He's big and athletic.
2. Great leaper, he's already big and tall but jumps very high.
3. When in the right position (rarely) he has enough weight and force to put any skill player on their ass.
4. Good in deep coverage, he definitely can hold his own when running down field.
5. when he wraps up it's usually over.

Negatives-

1. His game speed doesn't match his timed speed.
2. In some games he appears as a non-factor and isn't seen that much.
3. Not a great "hitter", he's sort of a hit or miss kinda guy.
4. Recovery time is questionable for somebody who's got the speed he has.
5. I don't think he has the mentality of an elite saftey.

BRAVEHEART
09-09-2008, 09:27 PM
not as good as Kevin Ellison

Pretty much, if Kellison had May's athleticism he'd be the second coming of ronnie lott.

Sniper
09-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Pretty much, if Kellison had May's athleticism he'd be the second coming of ronnie lott.

Mays' athleticism, not your random apostrophe where it doesn't belong goddamit. His last name isn't May, it's Mays. I have to think spelling and grammar are only taught in 10% of the country, judging by this board. Sorry if I snapped on you, it's nothing personal, but Jesus Christ, this is sad.

But yes, if Kevin Ellison had Taylor Mays' athleticism to go along with his production and awareness, he'd be Sean Taylor.

Rob S
09-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Mays' athleticism, not your random apostrophe where it doesn't belong goddamit. His last name isn't May, it's Mays. I have to think spelling and grammar are only taught in 10% of the country, judging by this board. Sorry if I snapped on you, it's nothing personal, but Jesus Christ, this is sad.

But yes, if Kevin Ellison had Taylor Mays' athleticism to go along with his production and awareness, he'd be Sean Taylor.

Sean Taylor was such a dynamite prospect. We will probably never see as gifted a player at S ever again.

STARHEATHER
09-09-2008, 10:20 PM
i like ellison too. he was all over the place vs virginia. mays no. a safety who averages 3 tackles a game and gets one pick. just nowhere near enough on film. ellison MAY not be as physically gifted as mays, but he makes a lot of plays. ill take the guy who MAY be a tenth slower who makes plays. i would rather have ellison in rd 3 or rd 6 than mays anywhere, especially with a high selection.

foozball
09-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Mays had 4 solos and 2 ast.
1.5 TFL
1 PBU

Ellison had 2 ast. and 2 PBU

i havent seen much of either since im in texas, so i pretty much go with what yall say, but it seems like Mays was all over.

eaglesalltheway
09-10-2008, 06:40 AM
For the past few years, there always seems to be an elite safety prospect at the beginning of the season. Is Taylor Mays really that good? With all the hype about his size/speed, he seems a lock to be a top 15 pick. But can he really live up to those expectations? Kenny Phillips was deemed the best safety prospect since Sean Taylor but he was a big disappointment in that regard. Is Mays another Phillips?

How does he stack up against Landry, Nelson, Whitner, and the other top safeties that have come out in recent years?

Well if you are looking for the next Sean Taylor (not saying you specifically are) you will be sadly dissapointed. But the top safety in this class is William Moore, and he stacks up pretty high in terms of recent safeties. I'd say beyond Taylor, only Landry was ahead of Moore as a prospect. Moore has Mays' size and athletecism, but backs it up with production. Nelson was viewed as pretty much one dimensional as a prospect, meaning he didn't offer much in the run game, but made up for it with his play against the pass. Whitner was viewed as a late first round prospect, but the Bills "reached" for him with their 8th pick (I may not be remembering that correctly) He was viewed as a solid prospect, but Moore is a better prospect, at least in my opinion anyway.

As for Mays, everyone pretty much covered what he is, so I won't waste the words, but if he can produce more, like he should be doing by now, he will have a realistic shot at being a top 15 pick because of his measurables. And if he combines a good season with a few big games (ahem, OSU is coming to town this weekend) he could be a top 10 pick. But don't expect that form him, he really hasn't shown the ability to play consistently at a high level.

eaglesalltheway
09-10-2008, 06:41 AM
i like ellison too. he was all over the place vs virginia. mays no. a safety who averages 3 tackles a game and gets one pick. just nowhere near enough on film. ellison MAY not be as physically gifted as mays, but he makes a lot of plays. ill take the guy who MAY be a tenth slower who makes plays. i would rather have ellison in rd 3 or rd 6 than mays anywhere, especially with a high selection.

Agreed, actually I like Ellison as a 2nd-4th round prospect.

Sniper
09-10-2008, 06:48 AM
Mays had 4 solos and 2 ast.
1.5 TFL
1 PBU

Ellison had 2 ast. and 2 PBU

i havent seen much of either since im in texas, so i pretty much go with what yall say, but it seems like Mays was all over.

Let's go with a bigger sample size...The 2007 season

Taylor Mays- 65 tackles, 1 INT, 6 PBU, 1 FF, 1 FR
Kevin Ellison- 57 tackles, 2 INT, 8.0 TFL, 2 sacks, 6 PBU, 2 FF

KCJ58
09-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Taylor Mays is one hell of an athlete at the safety position but he hasn't done that much when it comes to on the field plays

wicket
09-10-2008, 02:03 PM
being a safety in such a quality defence as usc's makes it hard to distinguish yourself numberwise. I do agree the guy doesnt look like the workout numbers tell he could be however he still has decent production for that defence on his position. (you know d line doesnt get double teamed becuase of their teammates, corners get worse, quicker passes, linebackers get easier blitzes, safeties just get less to do in a good defence)

BRAVEHEART
09-10-2008, 02:30 PM

Oh, no problem...I mean, thanks for insulting me and then giving me a half-assed
apology do make it seem "all better" now.:rolleyes:

That's like going to Mcdonalds and seeing some fat guy in there eating some food, and you're like "Hey, are you eating all that food!? You know you're only going to get fatter eating all that food and it's really unhealthy. I swear all the fatties hear are so FAT! Oh, and you fatty...sorry if I insulted you, it's nothing personal, but jesus christ you're fat.

Sniper
09-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Oh, no problem...I mean, thanks for insulting me and then giving me a half-assed
apology do make it seem "all better" now.:rolleyes:

That's like going to Mcdonalds and seeing some fat guy in there eating some food, and you're like "Hey, are you eating all that food!? You know you're only going to get fatter eating all that food and it's really unhealthy. I swear all the fatties hear are so FAT! Oh, and you fatty...sorry if I insulted you, it's nothing personal, but jesus christ you're fat.

Well, let's put it nicer.

Your spelling and grammar are somewhere between atrocious and pitiful. Learn to speak and write the English language. It's not that hard. It's your first language and my second, and yet I can speak it and write it better than you can. Learn where apostrophes go.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

BRAVEHEART
09-10-2008, 03:32 PM

Your spelling and grammar are somewhere between atrocious and pitiful. Learn to speak and write the English language. It's not that hard. It's your first language and my second, and yet I can speak it and write it better than you can. Learn where apostrophes go.

Does is turn you on when you correct someone's spelling/grammar errors? Do you feel better about yourself now that you corrected my grammar? Seriously, I hope you don't do anything like this outside of the (very anonymous) internet, because people like yourself are only safe in front of your monitor.

In other words...
http://jj.am/gallery/d/50314-1/saytoface.jpg

Maybe you can learn some manners while I work on my spelling, jah?

Sniper
09-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Does is turn you on when you correct someone's spelling/grammar errors? Do you feel better about yourself now that you corrected my grammar? Seriously, I hope you don't do anything like this outside of the (very anonymous) internet, because people like yourself are only safe in front of your monitor.

In other words...
http://jj.am/gallery/d/50314-1/saytoface.jpg

Maybe you can learn some manners while I work on my spelling, jah?

I would gladly tell it to your face if you weren't on the entire other side of the country. What am I going to be scared of? Seriously? No, it doesn't "turn me on" to correct grammar. It's just unreal that you can be so goddamn stupid after years of education. What do you mean, "people like yourself"? Again, what am I going to be scared of?

Punisher
09-10-2008, 04:07 PM
For now on correct people on their spelling in private messages Sniper.

Bruce Banner
09-10-2008, 05:55 PM

What would you rate my spelling and grammar?

eaglesalltheway
09-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Rate me Sniper, Rate me!!!

Feel free to edit that as yo like, haha.

Sniper
09-10-2008, 06:00 PM
What would you rate my spelling and grammar?

A. I don't think I've seen you make any mistakes.

Back to Mays, his athleticism is absolutely amazing. I just want to see the production on the field match the godly athleticism.

And I hope Mays snaps Terrelle Pryor in half this weekend.

Sniper
09-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Rate me Sniper, Rate me!!!

Feel free to edit that as yo like, haha.

A-. An occasional misuse of apostrophes and such, but nothing major. Very impressive for an Emmaus grad.

Staubach12
09-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Woah, I'm definitely a devout rider of the spelling and grammar train.