PDA

View Full Version : What makes everyone think NE won't win the AFC East?

The New Kid
09-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Matt Cassel is not Tom Brady, but has no one learned anything over the years watching NE, and more importantly Bill Belicheck and his staff deal with injuries.

They aren't going to ask Matt Cassel to do the things that Brady did best. They will ask Cassel to be Cassel and do his thing. Anyone remember when Bledsoe went down? From the first snap that Brady took in that Jets game, was he exactly what Bledsoe was? No. He wasn't.

Given the division, let me break some things down.

1. No one in the division has the coaching staff NE has.
2. NE has the best OL in the league, although a couple are close, but not better.
3. NE has the best WR corps.
4. Ne has the best overall defense in the division.

It is clear that there is pretty much one big thing missing. QB. Can I say that Cassel is the best QB in the division? No.

Cassel has been behind Brady now for several years, and has learned the system. He knows how the OC works and what to look for with his reads and such. He has a pretty good backfield in Sammy Morris and Laurence Maroney splitting carries. Cassel has it built for him, he just needs to be himself and do what he does. Quite honestly, that is exactly how NE will look at it, simply because that is how they have dealt with injuries over the years.

Brent
09-09-2008, 10:33 PM
I believe the correct answer to your question is: the Buffalo Bills are why they wont win.

Bruce Banner
09-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Most people think they will still go 10-6 or so.

You don't realize Brady makes a lot of offense look so good. The o-line is top of the league but Brady is crafty back there. Same goes with the receivers.

islandboy843
09-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Donte Whitner can read the future.

mqtirishfan
09-09-2008, 10:39 PM
It does bring up an interesting question, though. If the Pats don't miss a beat with Cassel, was Brady really that good?

bored of education
09-09-2008, 10:39 PM
You sir have not a clue.

1. I agree
2. The Jets and the Bills both have very good Olines. The Patriots gave up 2 sacks, lost their godly QB, had about 7 pressures. Looked bad against a week D.
3. Cassel is throwing to them. Andrew walter threw to Moss before and look how he id. He wasn't happy, Moss not getting throws=Moss not so happys. Look at hoe he pouted on thr sidelines in the games he didnt get the amazing numbers last year. A tiger never loses his stripes...EVER.
4. Best front 3 and after that..a very geriatric defense.

The Pats didnt prove anything this past week. Week 1 strarts this week for them. If they win then I will shut up.

The downgrades with Cassel is not only the reads(reads you can't make on the whiteboard) but also the progression of routes, the timing of where to look and when. (brady would be able to quickly see the zone area that may open up for Gaffney or see the lil window open for Welker or the sideline pattern opening up for Moss. That is all in the course of less than 1.2 seconds. Those aren't things you learn in the film room, you just have 'it'. Cassel hasn't proved to have it. Little things like that-which made Brady, Bray.

I really think this is all a big hubbub for the average Pats fans. I heard it today and yesterday on sportstalk radio.

You will see how the Patriots are this week.

Bruce Banner
09-09-2008, 10:42 PM
It does bring up an interesting question, though. If the Pats don't miss a beat with Cassel, was Brady really that good?

I think it means Belichick really is a god.

giantsfan
09-09-2008, 10:42 PM
They have a good oline but brady is the reason they were in contention for best in the league. Now Randy can make a bad QB look good, see daunte culpepper, but I think that with the weak secondary and age on D they need more from their o and cassel just can't contribute that unless he's a lot better than I expect, which I'm still open to. ATM the Bills ahve to be favorites to win the AFC East though.

STARHEATHER
09-09-2008, 10:44 PM
im going agree. i see ne winning that division still. even without brady their talent level on both sides of the ball is far superior to the competition. theyre not a sb contender anymore, but from what i saw of the jets and miami i just dont see it. and are they really going to be worse than buffalo?

awfullyquiet
09-09-2008, 10:44 PM
I think it means Belichick really is a god.

That's an ego bending thought.

bearsfan_51
09-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Who is "everyone"? I bet if there were a poll the Pats would get their fair share of votes. I still think they'll win it.

The New Kid
09-09-2008, 10:51 PM
You sir have not a clue.

1. I agree
2. The Jets and the Bills both have very good Olines. The Patriots gave up 2 sacks, lost their godly QB, had about 7 pressures. Looked bad against a week D.
3. Cassel is throwing to them. Andrew walter threw to Moss before and look how he id. He wasn't happy, Moss not getting throws=Moss not so happys. Look at hoe he pouted on thr sidelines in the games he didnt get the amazing numbers last year. A tiger never loses his stripes...EVER.
4. Best front 3 and after that..a very geriatric defense.

The Pats didnt prove anything this past week. Week 1 strarts this week for them. If they win then I will shut up.

The downgrades with Cassel is not only the reads(reads you can't make on the whiteboard) but also the progression of routes, the timing of where to look and when. (brady would be able to quickly see the zone area that may open up for Gaffney or see the lil window open for Welker or the sideline pattern opening up for Moss. That is all in the course of less than 1.2 seconds. Those aren't things you learn in the film room, you just have 'it'. Cassel hasn't proved to have it. Little things like that-which made Brady, Bray.

I really think this is all a big hubbub for the average Pats fans. I heard it today and yesterday on sportstalk radio.

You will see how the Patriots are this week.

I have not a clue?

1. Since when does 1 week make a season? Looked bad playing a bad D? Does that mean that we can almost write off SD?

2. Andrew Walter never showed a bit of what Cassel has showed. Did Walter have a run game like Cassel does? Did Walter have an entire WR corps like Cassel? How about a great OL? A top 5 defense? Not even close. The comparison doesn't make sense...AT ALL.

3. Very geriatric after the DL? Yeah, very old DB's outside of Rodney huh? I guess we drafted a bunch of Chris Weinke's this year at CB? Yeah, the LB's are older than usual, but did Vrabel not still continue to dominate? Is Adalius not still one of the most athletic LB's in the league? Bruschi racked up 12 tackles I believe. Jarrod Mayo? There is youth, smarts, and alot of athleticism with these LB's. Isn't it obvious?

4. Did Cassel and Moss not look good together? To me thet looked like they were on the same page, don't you agree? It is also ammounced that the Pats will go to a more balanced offense. With a powerful offense, and a backfield consisting of Morris and Maroney will do nothing but make Cassel better. But as balanced as they say it will be, there is no denying that Moss' prescence will do huge for opening others up for Cassel. He will have protection, and will almost always have Moss doubled up, and Welker underneath.

bored of education
09-09-2008, 11:04 PM
I have not a clue?

1. Since when does 1 week make a season? Looked bad playing a bad D? Does that mean that we can almost write off SD?
My point exactly. They looked belowe average against the most below average team. Before you go saying they are fine with Cassel, let him play a full game where a team can prepare against him and set up a legit game plan

2. Andrew Walter never showed a bit of what Cassel has showed. Did Walter have a run game like Cassel does? Did Walter have an entire WR corps like Cassel? How about a great OL? A top 5 defense? Not even close. The comparison doesn't make sense...AT ALL. Cassel has'nt showed anything, that is my point. Also, Moss was pouting aftergames on the bench in which he didnt get the love spread to him, lets ee what happensthough.

3. Very geriatric after the DL? Yeah, very old DB's outside of Rodney huh? I guess we drafted a bunch of Chris Weinke's this year at CB? Yeah, the LB's are older than usual, but did Vrabel not still continue to dominate? Is Adalius not still one of the most athletic LB's in the league? Bruschi racked up 12 tackles I believe. Jarrod Mayo? There is youth, smarts, and alot of athleticism with these LB's. Isn't it obvious? I maybe wrong abou their age. But the mix of age, lack of experience could hurt them against teasm that throw it more than 10 yard more than 4 times a game.

4. Did Cassel and Moss not look good together? To me thet looked like they were on the same page, don't you agree? It is also ammounced that the Pats will go to a more balanced offense. With a powerful offense, and a backfield consisting of Morris and Maroney will do nothing but make Cassel better. But as balanced as they say it will be, there is no denying that Moss' prescence will do huge for opening others up for Cassel. He will have protection, and will almost always have Moss doubled up, and Welker underneath. Balanced yet we don;t know if Morris and maroney are a formidable tandom. I think they COULd be. But again..gameplans can change that.

Alot can happen next week. Week 1 for the rest of the year begins with a week of proper preparation by both teams. lets see how both teams to do adjust.

No annointing from me.

Go Blue
09-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Look at what Brady was when Bledsoe went down. a 7th round pick that couldnt pin down the starting position in college.. Sounds kinda familiar.

Its close to a perfect situation for a "green" QB to succeed. Solid oline, good running game, great WR, and a solid defense.

Bruce Banner
09-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Look at what Brady was when Bledsoe went down. a 7th round pick that couldnt pin down the starting position in college.. Sounds kinda familiar.

Its close to a perfect situation for a "green" QB to succeed. Solid oline, good running game, great WR, and a solid defense.

- Charlie Weis

bored of education
09-09-2008, 11:11 PM

Charlie Weis
Spygate
Expectations
Offensive and Defensive sytems they had in 2001 and now.

STARHEATHER
09-09-2008, 11:14 PM
i agree. i dont think theyre a championship contender, but if you look at the rest of the team, theyre the best team just about everywhere. brady made them a championship team. but unless cassel throws all kinds of picks and stuff theyre still going to win football games i think. i guess we can hope, but i dont see it happening.

AlexDown
09-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Who is "everyone"? I bet if there were a poll the Pats would get their fair share of votes. I still think they'll win it.

I agree.

This week, Jets vs Pats, will also be a good test. The AFC East looks to be a LOT more competitive now.

BlindSite
09-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Kansas City Chiefs
New York Jets
Miami Dolphins
San Francisco
San Diego
Denver
St Louis
Indianapolis
Buffalo
New York
Miami
Pittsburgh
Seattle
Oakland
Arizona
Buffalo

Bolded are what I think will be wins, even with a split against the non inept teams in their division they're still an over match for every team on the schedule.

bored of education
09-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Kansas City Chiefs
New York Jets
Miami Dolphins
San Francisco
San Diego
Denver
St Louis
Indianapolis
Buffalo
New York
Miami
Pittsburgh
Seattle
Oakland
Arizona
Buffalo

Bolded are what I think will be wins, even with a split against the non inept teams in their division they're still an over match for every team on the schedule.

It's easy to do that now.

BlindSite
09-09-2008, 11:26 PM
It's easy to do that now.

I realise teams can turn it around but some how I don't see any of those teams being good enough in a few weeks. In fact I expect just about all of those teams bolded to be picking in the top ten, except for Buffalo.

awfullyquiet
09-09-2008, 11:33 PM
I agree.

This week, Jets vs Pats, will also be a good test. The AFC East looks to be a LOT more competitive now.

Two years ago, the jets nearly beat the pats in a great game. (was it 3 years ago?)

either way, the jets are better and the pats are worse (clearly), so, i wouldn't write of ANY game vs the pats. I mean, everyone was quick to write off the chargers vs carolina and indy vs the bears... i don't think you can say any game is a auto-win against moderately inept teams.

Jughead10
09-09-2008, 11:48 PM
I still think the Pats are the favorite. Obviously losing Brady is a killer. But this Pats team is arguably more skilled at nearly every other position than any of their Super Bowl teams. They won back then without being an offensive juggernaut. Bill is still the best coach in the league, the Pats will almost surely adapt and find different ways to win.

thule
09-10-2008, 12:20 AM
This
http://www.southernledger.com/images_ap/1d6de29a-8089-4624-b779-b1895357ca5f-1d6de29a-8089-4624-b779-b1895357ca5f.jpg
Plus That
http://media.pressofatlanticcity.com/smedia/2008/09/07/14/825-Chiefs_Patriots_Football.sff.standalone.prod_affil iate.101.jpg
And This :(
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/photos/tx_cassel.jpg

CC.SD
09-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Cassell for MVP!

Menardo75
09-10-2008, 01:09 AM
They could still win the division I would'nt sleep on them yet

Turtlepower
09-10-2008, 02:05 AM
The Bills with possibly the greatest special teams of all-time will most likely lead them to 14-16 wins in the regular season.

niel89
09-10-2008, 02:19 AM
The Bills with possibly the greatest special teams of all-time will most likely lead them to 14-16 wins in the regular season.

17 wins. the bills special teams wins even on bye weeks.

d34ng3l021
09-10-2008, 02:22 AM
17 wins. the bills special teams wins even on bye weeks.

I do not see how a 19-0 season is not possible. Clearly both you guys are underestimating the Bills ST unit.

Leon Sandcastle
09-10-2008, 03:24 AM
Every other team should write off the rest of the season.

It's the Bills A Team vs. Bills B Team.

No one else stands a chance. Fold. Relocate. Die. Rinse and repeat.

niel89
09-10-2008, 04:33 AM
I do not see how a 19-0 season is not possible. Clearly both you guys are underestimating the Bills ST unit.

your right. the bills will go 19-0 because of their special teams, and then they will return the trophy also.

Smooth Criminal
09-10-2008, 07:22 AM
I think the Buffallo Bills are a great team. I thought they could compete with NE with Brady and now that hes not there I think they take the division by a game or 2.

That offense just isn't going to be the same without Brady.

Gay Ork Wang
09-10-2008, 11:23 AM
guys, the bills will go 20-0 since the Pro Bowl will be all Bills

btw: Do u think the Colts could win anything if Peyton goes down? imo the same situation

Sniper
09-10-2008, 12:38 PM
- Charlie Weis

The flawed logic that Charlie Weis was such a ginormous part (well, in some ways he was ;) ) of the New England run sure appears to be proving itself correctly when I watch the Notre Dame offense at work.

Sniper
09-10-2008, 12:39 PM

btw: Do u think the Colts could win anything if Peyton goes down? imo the same situation

How is that remotely even close? If Manning goes down, the Colts merely put in the greatest QB of all time.

keylime_5
09-10-2008, 12:44 PM
The Patriots are gonna be more of a running team with the play action to Moss and Welker now who relies more on their defense since their strongest units now are WR, OLine, and front 7. Maroney and Morris will probably get more of the load.

Smooth Criminal
09-10-2008, 12:44 PM

I think the Colts would be worse off. They rely on the passing game so much more than the pats do.

Jughead10
09-10-2008, 01:05 PM
The flawed logic that Charlie Weis was such a ginormous part (well, in some ways he was ;) ) of the New England run sure appears to be proving itself correctly when I watch the Notre Dame offense at work.

Weis is a great play caller and his offense works. He has proved that both in the pros and college. However now we are finding out what kind of eye for talent his has. And if he can shape young men into football players. From a X's and O's aspect he has nothing to prove to me.

But I think the Patriots adapt now. I said earlier they are arguably stronger at every position than they were during any of their 3 Super Bowls. Minus obviously QB and not as obviously CB. They won 3 Super Bowls by not blowing teams out by 20 points. They will just have to go back to that. They won with Antoine Smith, David Patten, and Troy Brown after all.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Well really I think if Tom Brady never existed this team would still be expected to do it. But I think the blow of losing the starting QB is why they are being doubted.

Besides, Cassell was possibly the second best QB in the NCAA when he was at USC

Addict
09-10-2008, 01:25 PM

Ok I'm not arguing the pats aren't a good team. but this is rediculous. Brady was an is a very rare exception to the rules. He was a sixth round pick by the way, oh and Cassell never started a game for USC. Regardless, it's incomparable. Late round/UDFA quarterbacks don't usually make starters. Now before you start throwing Bulger, Delhomme and O'Sullivan around, yes they are succesfull, but obviously with the amount of late drafted QB's there's bound to be a few success stories.

Basically, if you expect Cassell to be the next Brady you better be ready for a letdown. It's just not gonna happen.

Sniper
09-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Weis is a great play caller and his offense works. He has proved that both in the pros and college. However now we are finding out what kind of eye for talent his has. And if he can shape young men into football players. From a X's and O's aspect he has nothing to prove to me.

2007 Notre Dame disagrees with you. The only reason his offense worked his first two years was because their schedule was atrocious. He hasn't done jack against good teams.

Gay Ork Wang
09-10-2008, 01:47 PM
2007 Notre Dame disagrees with you. The only reason his offense worked his first two years was because their schedule was atrocious. He hasn't done jack against good teams.
******* stop talking about Notre Dame, we know u hate them, just stop

Smooth Criminal
09-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Please feel free to continue the ND bashing. I love reading everything negative about that place.

Jughead10
09-10-2008, 01:58 PM

It really has nothing to do with the schedule. It has everything to do with the players. When Weis has players, he has proved that his offense and play calling is quite successful. I fully expect McDaniels to go back to an offense that looks more like what Weis ran in his tenure with the Patriots. Obviously the Pats cannot expect Cassell to run the offense that Brady did last year.

Smooth Criminal
09-10-2008, 02:01 PM
The biggest question now is whether or not they can run the ball like they used to. Maroney, Morris and Faulk better be able to get it done or this team isn't going anywhere.

bored of education
09-10-2008, 02:02 PM
maybe this will prove afterall theat Peyton manning is the better Qb, then. Since Cassel to brady is not the downgrade you all are portaying it to be.

Sniper
09-10-2008, 02:05 PM
******* stop talking about Notre Dame, we know u hate them, just stop

Why? I'm making factual arguments. Unless you can tell me where I'm just blindly making false statements, shut the **** up and don't read what I post.

princefielder28
09-10-2008, 02:06 PM

Of course the Colts could win; they have Jim Sorgi :)

Jughead10
09-10-2008, 02:08 PM
The biggest question now is whether or not they can run the ball like they used to. Maroney, Morris and Faulk better be able to get it done or this team isn't going anywhere.

I think they can. That threesome is better than Smith or Dillon on his last legs. Plus the O-line is better than it was back then. Especially at run blocking. Pass protection is their weaker point.

bored of education
09-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Their run blocking hasn't been tested, if you really think about it.

Jughead10
09-10-2008, 02:24 PM

I guess. But the guys on that line are built more for run blocking than pass protection. This whole thing just pisses me off. I'm in a very competitive fantasy that has been going on for the many years now. We keep three guys every year. I had both Brady and Maroney last year. Decided to keep Brady and not Maroney because they never run the ball. Wish I could do that over again.

Sniper
09-10-2008, 02:26 PM

They finished with the 13th highest ypc in the league last year and 12th the year before.

bored of education
09-10-2008, 02:27 PM
They finished with the 13th highest ypc in the league last year and 12th the year before.

Is that good or bad..it sounds middle of road. And last year goign agasint 4-6 men in the box is ehhh.

Sniper
09-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Is that good or bad..it sounds middle of road. And last year goign agasint 4-6 men in the box is ehhh.

It's in the upper half. 32 teams.

keylime_5
09-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Didn't Weis give up playcalling duties this year after the 2007 disaster? Didn't Notre Dame set the NCAA record for sacks allowed or something like that last year? Did Tom Brady make Weis look good and not the other way around? Weis was a very good offensive coordinator in New England, but he is doing a terrible job of developing his young talent in South Bend.

bored of education
09-10-2008, 02:36 PM
whole different ball game literally and figuratively.

Gay Ork Wang
09-10-2008, 02:37 PM
It's in the upper half. 32 teams.
Then again every team had to back off because of that passing game. I mean seriously the Bills were rushing 2 men

Gay Ork Wang
09-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Why? I'm making factual arguments. Unless you can tell me where I'm just blindly making false statements, shut the **** up and don't read what I post.
U post it everywhere. we get ur point. Repeating 5000 times doesnt make it better.

CC.SD
09-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Besides, Cassell was possibly the second best QB in the NCAA when he was at USC

True story. I'm in a difficult spot; hate the Pats, but support all my Trojans. In the end I'm rooting for him.

mqtirishfan
09-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Didn't Weis give up playcalling duties this year after the 2007 disaster?

Because he had to focus on what was one of the crappiest teams in college football last year as a whole.
Didn't Notre Dame set the NCAA record for sacks allowed or something like that last year?

this is Charlie Weis' fault. He clearly is the one who blocks.

Did Tom Brady make Weis look good and not the other way around?

Who knows? Maybe they were both good.
Weis was a very good offensive coordinator in New England,

Eliminating the entire point of this post.

but he is doing a terrible job of developing his young talent in South Bend.

This is a fair assessment after two great seasons and one horrible one.

Sniper
09-10-2008, 04:23 PM
this is Charlie Weis' fault. He clearly is the one who blocks.

Shouldn't he be teaching something?

This is a fair assessment after two great seasons and one horrible one.

Two great seasons which saw the majority of Willingham's players become juniors, the season where most collegiates break out. So basically, the ND logic is...

If the Irish suck, it's Ty's fault.
If the Irish are good, it's Weis' amazing coaching.

It's a win-win for Weis. I swear, no coach has ever gotten more out of almost beating his rival once than Weis has.

FlyingElvis
09-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Cassel just needs to be a decent QB. They have enough talent to win as long as he doesn't make too many mistakes. Considering the Jets barely won against the Dolphins (on a typical Brett toss-up that any self-respecting defense would have picked off), I'd say the true competition will be the Bills.

So do you say the Bills will pull off a division win despite their inexperience and relative youth (especially at all the offense skill positions)?

Or do you side w/an experienced and proven roster and coaching staff?

I'd say the nod still has to go to the Pats - especially since 15-18 for 152 & a TD is a solid stat line. But we'll all just have to wait and see what Cassel does - one week at a time. ;)

Gay Ork Wang
09-10-2008, 04:39 PM
the Pats defense got to the point though were they are not only expierienced but pretty old

and a 152 & a TD stat line is actually misleading. He was playing against the Chiefs. The freaking chiefs. 1/3 of those yardage came from one toss up to moss who had some YAC. the chiefs had to start a Rookie CB, u would expect that that secondary would get picked apart by any decent QB with those kinds of weapons

mqtirishfan
09-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Shouldn't he be teaching something?

I dare you to try teaching pass-pro to Paul Duncan.

Two great seasons which saw the majority of Willingham's players become juniors, the season where most collegiates break out. So basically, the ND logic is...

If the Irish suck, it's Ty's fault.
If the Irish are good, it's Weis' amazing coaching.

Doesn't that sort of make some sense, though? Weis came in and bam! ND was good. It's not like I'm going to blame Ty for last year or anything. I'm just saying that 2 BCS bowls in three years is fairly solid.

It's a win-win for Weis. I swear, no coach has ever gotten more out of almost beating his rival once than Weis has.

When that rival is one of the best college football teams of all time, and it was in a year where ND was expected to be garbage, it's no small feat.

BlindSite
09-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Yeah good point if your winning TD against the chiefs comes on a 53 yard bomb I wouldn't be overly comfortable.

Sniper
09-10-2008, 05:08 PM
I dare you to try teaching pass-pro to Paul Duncan.

It's Year Four of the Weis Experiment. Shouldn't he have found a better left tackle by now?

Doesn't that sort of make some sense, though? Weis came in and bam! ND was good. It's not like I'm going to blame Ty for last year or anything. I'm just saying that 2 BCS bowls in three years is fairly solid.

Yes, but most collegiates don't have their better years until they're juniors or seniors. You can't attribute everything that happened in 2005-06 to Weis. Someone brought those players in.

When that rival is one of the best college football teams of all time, and it was in a year where ND was expected to be garbage, it's no small feat.

Even if we ignore that that logic is some of the dumbest **** I've heard in a long time, you would think that losses to Navy, Air Force, consecutive blowouts against Michigan etc... would have cancelled an "almost win" by now. Just my opinion. Can you really attempt to validate his absurd contract given to him after seven games because he ALMOST beat USC? You're on the hook for $40 million, but hey, it's cool, you ALMOST won. Michigan has lost to Ohio State for four years straight now but they've been close in most games. Should I be happy they've ALMOST won? Aren't Weis' and Willingham's records after three seasons identical? One dude gets the door, the other $40 million. Logical.

BlindSite
09-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Why are you arguing about a former offensive coordinator, now head coach who's not involved with either Cassel or the Patriots?

Gay Ork Wang
09-10-2008, 05:10 PM
because ND is so important

Sniper
09-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Why are you arguing about a former offensive coordinator, now head coach who's not involved with either Cassel or the Patriots?

Because people attribute a large portion of the NE dynasty to Chucky Cheese. Well, technically, he sure was a large portion of it.

Smooth Criminal
09-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Moss didn't take long to resort to his old self. He sat out of practice today with a back injury.

Somehow I don't think he's going to play as hard for Cassel as he did for Brady.

Sniper
09-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Moss didn't take long to resort to his old self. He sat out of practice today with a back injury.

Somehow I don't think he's going to play as hard for Cassel as he did for Brady.

Right, because back injuries never happen. I'm sure Belichick would really allow Moss to sit out for faking an injury.

Smooth Criminal
09-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Right, because back injuries never happen. I'm sure Belichick would really allow Moss to sit out for faking an injury.

Seems like a classic Moss move to me. Look at what he did in Oakland. He didn't have a QB and he just stopped playing hard.

And thats the thing about back injuries, no one can tell you that your back isn't sore.

Sniper
09-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Seems like a classic Moss move to me. Look at what he did in Oakland. He didn't have a QB and he just stopped playing hard.

He didn't have a QB, OL, functional coach, etc...It's not just the QB.

And thats the thing about back injuries, no one can tell you that your back isn't sore

Meaning you don't know either. Judging by Moss' track record in New England (ya know, where he is now), he's not faking it.

Smooth Criminal
09-10-2008, 05:28 PM
He didn't have a QB, OL, functional coach, etc...It's not just the QB.

Meaning you don't know either. Judging by Moss' track record in New England (ya know, where he is now), he's not faking it.

He has such a long track record in NE for us to go off of.

Moss has always been alright when he is winning. As soon as he realizes hes not on a superbowl contender hes not gonna go 100% anymore.

Smooth Criminal
09-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Randy Moss was limited in Patriots practice Wednesday with a "back" injury.
Moss did fall hard on his Week 1 touchdown catch and took another shot in the game, but he spoke with reporters Wednesday and that's usually a sign players will play. Still, the Pats are very shady with injuries and are unlikely to give a direct indication as to whether Moss will face the Jets all week. Sep. 10 - 4:05 pm et
Source: Boston Globe

per rotoworld

bored of education
09-10-2008, 05:32 PM
We know nothing about Moss's back, like knowing nothing on how NE will respond to the REVAMPED game preparations of their opponets for the rest of the season.

All they have going for them is being defending champs after that its a crap shoot.

CC.SD
09-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Sorry if this isn't the truth, but a Moss injury popping up after its announced that Brady is done for the season is a reason for a big old red flag to be raised. Any other player? I'd lean in the favor of an actual health issue, but no one is this league has as big a reputation for dogging it as Randy.

BlindSite
09-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Because people attribute a large portion of the NE dynasty to Chucky Cheese. Well, technically, he sure was a large portion of it.

None of that matters right now. You're better off looking at what McDaniels learned from Saban and from the Pats staff from when he joined to now, then arguing over what Weiss did for ND.

Iamcanadian
09-10-2008, 07:35 PM
I cannot believe some of you people. NE without Brady = a losing record. He was the heart and soul of their offense. He made players play above their skill level and covered up a whole lot of weaknesses with his quick reads and superb release. Their OL is slightly above average but Brady could pick up the open receiver and release the ball so quickly that they didn't have to hold their blocks as long as most teams require their OL to do. Cassels doesn't come close to matching Brady at any level. Their defense is going to be on the field all day and all its warts will be exposed.
So they barely beat KC, a total bottom feeder in the league with no QB, a mediocre OL and a poor defense. Cassels has about as much of a chance at replacing Brady as Harrinton has in leading a team to a Super Bowl victory. It just isn't going to happen.
NE will be lucky even with their soft schedule to win 6 games. teams are going to force Cassels to beat them. They will concentrate on stopping the run. I cannot even see them finishing ahead of Miami. Don't be shocked if they sign Culpepper to a contract. They are not going through a season with Cassels as their starter.

"Win their Division", thanks for giving me a good laugh.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-10-2008, 08:11 PM
I think the Patriots can play better than they did against Kansas City without Brady. That offensive line is still excellent, the wide receivers are pretty decent even if Moss is injured or his dedication wanders, and the runningback corps is pretty strong.

That said, if what Buffalo showed last week is for real, they have just as good a chance as New England.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-10-2008, 08:18 PM

Great OC's are not always the best HC's see Norv Turner. He still put up ridiculous numbers the first 2 years at ND.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-10-2008, 08:27 PM
u would expect that that secondary would get picked apart by any decent QB with those kinds of weapons

Exactly. Decent is all he has to be.

PackerLegend
09-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Well duh even with Brady who expected them to win they have the almighty Dolphins in their division! Things start going bad watch for a Moss meltdown and he may stab Benard Pollard

SenorGato
09-11-2008, 12:24 AM

You're ignoring that Brady is magical and he was *born to win.* He is a leader of men. A savior to his franchise, to the league, and potentially, the world(?).

Cassel can't be described as any of these things. He's just some unproven dude who couldn't even get drafted or get a start in college. Brady at least proved his godliness beforehand by showing he was worthy of a draft pick.

Gay Ork Wang
09-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Exactly. Decent is all he has to be.
yes and he obviously didnt pick that secondary apart. i can not believe that some people believe that Cassel can really lead those guys to the playoffs

Smooth Criminal
09-11-2008, 09:19 AM
You're ignoring that Brady is magical and he was *born to win.* He is a leader of men. A savior to his franchise, to the league, and potentially, the world(?).

Cassel can't be described as any of these things. He's just some unproven dude who couldn't even get drafted or get a start in college. Brady at least proved his godliness beforehand by showing he was worthy of a draft pick.

Cassel was drafted in the 7th round by the Pats.

Smooth Criminal
09-11-2008, 09:21 AM
yes and he obviously didnt pick that secondary apart. i can not believe that some people believe that Cassel can really lead those guys to the playoffs

I dont think people expect Cassel to lead them to the playoffs, they expect him to be carried to the playoffs.

I don't think it'll happen, but you never know.

Gay Ork Wang
09-11-2008, 09:25 AM
well the QB is the leader of the team or at least supposed. Thats why i think u have to let a QB lead the team. Just like Tavaris has to lead the Vikings

Sniper
09-11-2008, 09:40 AM
well the QB is the leader of the team or at least supposed. Thats why i think u have to let a QB lead the team. Just like Tavaris has to lead the Vikings

But Jackson doesn't have the all-around weapons that Cassel does.

Smooth Criminal
09-11-2008, 10:02 AM

Vine Young's team went to the playoffs last season.

He definately wasn't leading that offense. He got carried to the playoffs, which is what people expect the Pats to do with that defense and a solid run game.

The New Kid
09-11-2008, 10:18 AM
I cannot believe some of you people. NE without Brady = a losing record. He was the heart and soul of their offense. He made players play above their skill level and covered up a whole lot of weaknesses with his quick reads and superb release. Their OL is slightly above average but Brady could pick up the open receiver and release the ball so quickly that they didn't have to hold their blocks as long as most teams require their OL to do. Cassels doesn't come close to matching Brady at any level. Their defense is going to be on the field all day and all its warts will be exposed.
So they barely beat KC, a total bottom feeder in the league with no QB, a mediocre OL and a poor defense. Cassels has about as much of a chance at replacing Brady as Harrinton has in leading a team to a Super Bowl victory. It just isn't going to happen.
NE will be lucky even with their soft schedule to win 6 games. teams are going to force Cassels to beat them. They will concentrate on stopping the run. I cannot even see them finishing ahead of Miami. Don't be shocked if they sign Culpepper to a contract. They are not going through a season with Cassels as their starter.

Is this a serious post?

FlyingElvis
09-11-2008, 01:13 PM
and a 152 & a TD stat line is actually misleading. He was playing against the Chiefs. The freaking chiefs. 1/3 of those yardage came from one toss up to moss who had some YAC. the chiefs had to start a Rookie CB, u would expect that that secondary would get picked apart by any decent QB with those kinds of weapons

Oh, right. I forgot he's got a schedule just chock full of stellar defenses over the next month. Jets, Dolphins then a bye to prepare for SF. In case you missed it - only 5 teams gave up more yards than the mighty Chargers D. Who, btw, didn't even have to face the Panthers star WR.

The point is Cassel doesn't necessarily need to be more than a decent QB with the schedule the Patriots have. Anyone who wants to make a big deal out of Buffalo needs to double check the Seahawks depth chart. They had to start their #3 WR as their #1 and Hasselbeck saw his first live action in months. So why am I supposed to take more from that matchup than the Pats v. Chiefs?

I dont think people expect Cassel to lead them to the playoffs, they expect him to be carried to the playoffs.

I don't think it'll happen, but you never know.

Exactly. And I agree that expecting much in the playoffs is foolish. But getting there doesn't look like too much of a stretch based on the schedule. We'll find out this weekend. A win against the Jets gives the Pats a nice boost emotionally and in the division race. Anyone who bets against Belichick getting the team at his disposal well prepared for a game against Mangini is likely to part with their money.

Jvig43
09-11-2008, 02:01 PM

Well Rex Grossman led the bears to the super bowl and, this just being my opinion, is one of the worst QBs ive ever watched play the game of football. Having said that, Cassell is unproven. One game where he played decent against a bad team dosent say anything. He played horrible in the preseason lets not forget. I want him to make me a believer, if he can just not turn the ball over we can win the division. Besides Buffalo, neither the jets nor the dolphins scare me. We have to chill out on the Farve kool-aide, they beat the dolphins by less then a touchdown.

Gay Ork Wang
09-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Well Rex Grossman led the bears to the super bowl and, this just being my opinion, is one of the worst QBs ive ever watched play the game of football. Having said that, Cassell is unproven. One game where he played decent against a bad team dosent say anything. He played horrible in the preseason lets not forget. I want him to make me a believer, if he can just not turn the ball over we can win the division. Besides Buffalo, neither the jets nor the dolphins scare me. We have to chill out on the Farve kool-aide, they beat the dolphins by less then a touchdown.
Well the first 5 games at least he played incredible, MVP like.

BlindSite
09-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Which Qbs worth any damn thing are still kickin' it in FA?

Jvig43
09-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Well the first 5 games at least he played incredible, MVP like.

This is true, his recievers also made a ton of great plays for him as well tho. Who knows what will happen, but it is stupid, completely stupid to count out the pats making another run to win the division. They still have a great football team even without their best player. Its just going to be much closer then in years past.

Bucs_Rule
09-11-2008, 06:45 PM
I still think the Pats are the favorites to win the Division. Their defense did an outstanding job against all 3 teams. Cassel won't have to put up too many points to win.

People are talking Bills, but the Pats absolutly destroyed the Bills in 2 meetings last year. Farve improves the Jets but their still not a very good team and Miami is Miami.

Smooth Criminal
09-11-2008, 09:47 PM
The Bills have a great defense and special teams. Lynch is turning into a great RB and Edwards has been devloping.

I'm buying the Bills as a good foorball team. If they can beat the Pats, who have beaten them 9 times in a row, they have a real shot at the division

PoopSandwich
09-11-2008, 10:09 PM
From the statline it seems cassel looked good against the chiefs...

Maybe im missing something?

Gatz
09-11-2008, 10:19 PM
From the statline it seems cassel looked good against the chiefs...

Maybe im missing something?It's against the chiefs.

For all the people who are saying that they'll get into the playoffs. I think they have a shot. They have a very weak schedule. But also to the qbs mentioned (VY, Grossman) those teams had a great defense. After the front 3 the pats d is iffy. plus their running backs are unproven, and their o line play will go down because Brady made them look better than they really are, the holes for rbs will close up because teams don't have to worry so much about the pass anymore.

PoopSandwich
09-11-2008, 10:23 PM
He was 13-18, an inaccurate qb is an inaccurate qb... I think you guys are forgetting hes surrounded by Watson Maroney Moss and Welker...

Bills2083
09-11-2008, 10:33 PM
The Bills have a great defense and special teams. Lynch is turning into a great RB and Edwards has been devloping.

I'm buying the Bills as a good foorball team. If they can beat the Pats, who have beaten them 9 times in a row, they have a real shot at the division

I remember...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/2003/0915_large.jpg

There's a different vibe among Bills fans this year. Our defense is much improved, Edwards is progressing, and our Special Teams is one of the best in the league. Also, the AFC East is open IMO. Now it's time for the Bills to put it all together...

BlindSite
09-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Is it just me or does he look like he regrets picking up that ball.

PoopSandwich
09-11-2008, 11:09 PM
This whole injury thing is kind of ironic considering I said to my cousin last Friday "imagine if tom brady got injured and cassel came in and led them to the super bowl like brday did for bledsoe."

Then it happened, kind of weird.

iloxygenil
09-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Brady is the single most overrated QB I've ever heard talk about (including Michael Vick) The guy has a mediocre arm, mediocre ability and talent, average awareness, but gets praised constantly, because of the group around him. His OL is like a pro bowl OL, how much pressure did he face the entire year last year? I could have been a 3500 yard passer with 25 touchdowns in that offense, and I've never played QB before. The guy is just strictly overrated and a media darling because he's boinkin some model. Fact of the matter is, the Patriots are not a worse team without Brady, in fact they may be better, because they now have additional motivation (win one for the Brady)

Gay Ork Wang
09-12-2008, 08:36 AM
Brady is the single most overrated QB I've ever heard talk about (including Michael Vick) The guy has a mediocre arm, mediocre ability and talent, average awareness, but gets praised constantly, because of the group around him. His OL is like a pro bowl OL, how much pressure did he face the entire year last year? I could have been a 3500 yard passer with 25 touchdowns in that offense, and I've never played QB before. The guy is just strictly overrated and a media darling because he's boinkin some model. Fact of the matter is, the Patriots are not a worse team without Brady, in fact they may be better, because they now have additional motivation (win one for the Brady)
yea right... mediocre arm and ability...do u actually watch football? I mean i hate him like noone else (maybe Leonard Little and Rodney Harrison) but even i know he is a Future HoF and a once in a decade player

Smooth Criminal
09-12-2008, 12:28 PM
I remember...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/2003/0915_large.jpg

There's a different vibe among Bills fans this year. Our defense is much improved, Edwards is progressing, and our Special Teams is one of the best in the league. Also, the AFC East is open IMO. Now it's time for the Bills to put it all together...

You don't have to see the Bills to me. I think the defense is great and I love Lynch. Edwards i definately getting better as a Qb and they have some receivign weapons.

I really wish they would have gone and gotten Shockey.

Prince 561
09-12-2008, 01:30 PM

It's not even worth it...

Modano
09-12-2008, 01:32 PM

You forgot to say "with the emergence of McKelvin" ;)

bearsfan_51
09-12-2008, 02:32 PM

That's all well and good until you remember that this guy:

http://assets.buffalobills.com/uploads/coaches/AB68C64BF46E46DEB9D4019053667161.jpg

is your head coach.

Advantage Bellicheck.

bearsfan_51
09-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Weren't you the guy that said Chris Redman was a good starting quarterback? I think you should probably just ban yourself from talking about quarterbacks in general.

FlyingElvis
09-12-2008, 02:45 PM
This whole injury thing is kind of ironic considering I said to my cousin last Friday "imagine if tom brady got injured and cassel came in and led them to the super bowl like brday did for bledsoe."

Then it happened, kind of weird.

Well, here's http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r39/dmc27sinned/smiley/irish_lg.gif hoping what you had was a premonition that would make Nostradamus proud.

iloxygenil http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r39/dmc27sinned/smiley/pointlaugh_lg.gif

giantsfan
09-12-2008, 03:23 PM

http://assets.buffalobills.com/uploads/coaches/AB68C64BF46E46DEB9D4019053667161.jpg

is your head coach.

Advantage Bellicheck.

He led you guys to the playoffs, once. He's a solid coach not a good coach but a solid coach can lead these bills into the playoffs this season, although they'd probably be one and done.

Menardo75
09-12-2008, 03:27 PM

Yeah wow biting tounge

Jvig43
09-12-2008, 03:55 PM

Im sorry but after reading this post i've come to the conclusion that 1. you have no knowledge of football what so ever and 2. I am going to ignore any other posts you make that are football related from now on.

CC.SD
09-12-2008, 06:22 PM

If I could phase Boston out of existence I probably would, and even I have to call out this post as trash.

Gatz
09-12-2008, 11:58 PM

is your head coach.

Advantage Bellicheck.Holy **** . I just realized this.

http://thumbnail.search.aolcdn.com/truveo/images/thumbnails/52/DC/52DC25816F0CBB3034B17E_Large.jpg

They can pretend to be each other and nobody would know the difference.

http://www.thegbshow.com/images/interviews/tim%20kurkjian.jpg

The New Kid
09-13-2008, 06:33 PM

After a couple days to think about how reatrded of a post this is, I know have a response.

Yes, Brady did makes plays above the Patriots skill level.....yeah like in 2002. Your telling me that Brady is making Moss what he is? Stallworth (even if it was last year)? Welker? Seriously, I dont need to talk about Moss, but Stallworth was exactly what he was in New England as he was in PHI and NO. Welker is doing in NE what he did in MIA. There was a ton of talent around Brady last year and this year too, and that was what helped him put up the gaudy stats that he had never put up in his career. So tell me again how Brady made this talent level rise on NE?

OL slightly above average? Brady making quick throws? Do you watch football? I guess with what you were watching, you saw Brady hit Moss on those 60 yard td's throwing the ball in 2 seconds. Please, Brady had a day and a half to throw the ball. The OL was far above average last year in pass protection, and this year, it wasn't even the OL that let him down. Also, did Matt Cassel not have good numbers and sufficient time behind that OL in week 1? Again....do you watch football?

I dont even know what to say when you say that Cassel has the same chance to lead the Patriots as Harrington does to win a Superbowl.

Teams are going to make Cassel beat them eh? Yeah, like leaving every WR in single coverage and stack the box. Is that what your implying, because Im sure that anyone who watches football would disagree. Sign Culpepper? Thanks for my laugh, actually more like my last laugh after laughing at this for several days now.

Yeah, Win the Division...did I stutter?

holt_bruce81
09-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Cassell will have a very solid season and will lead the Patriots to a Division Crown. I don't understand the "Patriots are done" talk.

bored of education
09-14-2008, 08:14 AM
I have yet to say they are done, but they have done nothing to prove they aren't done. I will reach a great conclusion after they play a middle of the road team today.

Gay Ork Wang
09-14-2008, 08:28 AM
hell the chiefs were 5 yards away to tie the game

bored of education
09-14-2008, 08:34 AM
hell the chiefs were 5 yards away to tie the game
which is alot closer than it sounds!

Smooth Criminal
09-14-2008, 08:45 AM
And thats one of the worst teams in the league.

Young QB's, normally start fast cause no one knows how to gameplan for them. How the hell do you game plan for a guy that hasn't played since high school.

The New Kid
09-14-2008, 12:43 PM
My final line on the game.

Patriots win by 10.
Cassel throws for two td's, and the run game helps him out alot.

WinslowEdwards19
09-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Well, you see, they won't win the East because Favre is the messiah.

SenorGato
09-14-2008, 04:03 PM
yea right... mediocre arm and ability...do u actually watch football? I mean i hate him like noone else (maybe Leonard Little and Rodney Harrison) but even i know he is a Future HoF and a once in a decade player

That's Peyton Manning's title...unless you mean "once every decade there is a QB that gets a daily media BJ for winning because only QB's win games according to the media...subsequently the fans buy the hpye."

It sounds like I'm taking alot away from Brady...but he's still a sick QB. It's just that he's not the Super Duper Once in a Lifetime talent people think he is. He's a great NFL QB on a great NFL team...a sure fire HOF...but the magic and mystique stuff...well they're just words and concepts attached to a tangible person...they don't actually mean anything in the end.

Watch what Cassel is doing today. It's exactly what the Pats would do with Brady...short passes to get guys like Welker and Maroney in space...and I'm sure as the game goes on we'll see them air it out more. BB just isn't the kind of guy whose going to bank his team on one guy. No coach wants to, but BB MEEEEANS that...I actually think the Pats most important players are the D-line.

And the Jets are not a team to sleep on. We're going to be a really, really good team.

Gay Ork Wang
09-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Brady did about the same thing with les talent
but hey ur a jets fan, u def hate Brady

SenorGato
09-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Brady did about the same thing with les talent
but hey ur a jets fan, u def hate Brady

No...I just think it's lame and cheap to reduce NFL QB analysis to something as simple "his team wins, therefore he is God."

It's so much more complicated than that...so much so that my puny mind kinda stops and gives up after a while. I then join the "ZOMG he IZ the magicaLZ" crowd.

Jvig43
09-14-2008, 07:24 PM
No one says, NE wins because Tom Brady is god. Those are two separate topics. NE wins because we have an all around good team, good coach, good defense, and an amazing offense. Tom Brady is God well because he has the rings, the girlfriend, and has played the position better then any body has with Peyton yes being up there with him ( im a pats fan so obviously i think Brady > Manning, however unlike most Pats fans i like Manning and think hes great QB). Brady isnt overrated because his team wins, nor is he overrated in general. Him and Peyton will retire and be two of the best and most recognized players to ever play the game when all is said and done. Those are my thoughts.

Basileus777
09-14-2008, 07:33 PM
It sounds like I'm taking alot away from Brady...but he's still a sick QB. It's just that he's not the Super Duper Once in a Lifetime talent people think he is. He's a great NFL QB on a great NFL team...a sure fire HOF...but the magic and mystique stuff...well they're just words and concepts attached to a tangible person...they don't actually mean anything in the end.

:rolleyes:

Jets fans are unbelievable...

SenorGato
09-14-2008, 08:28 PM
:rolleyes:

Jets fans are unbelievable...

...And the Pats are 2-0 and have yet to see a turnover from Cassel.

Brent
09-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Matt looked good today. And as much as I hate to see the Pats win, I am glad to see a fellow Californian do well.

bored of education
09-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Matt did what he had to do. Not throw ints, and dink and dump. It wasn't impressive, but it did the job. Good for him. Lets see how they do against a decent team. Jets looked pitiful.

FlyingElvis
09-15-2008, 03:19 PM
He did well enough, and the Jets aren't a very good team - but - Revis is nasty. We'll see what kind of numbers Cassel can manage when Randy Moss faces the Dolphins DBs this week.