PDA

View Full Version : Early Rises and Falls

Bengals78
09-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Im just curious as to who think has made an early season rise in draft stock and who has followed the Lehman and Fannie May way.

Personally I think Beanie draft stock might be fluxuationg because of this lingering injury. Teams might shy from the injury prone RB in round one.
As for rising, I think Aaron Curry is gonna shoot up the draft boards if Wake keeps winning.

BRAVEHEART
09-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Risers
Clay Matthews :Great size and speed, he's a workout warrior and it'll show when the combine comes around.

Terrill Byrd: Alot of people say he's too small to be considered an elite DT prospect, but I feel he's the best SR DT this class. He is Very athletic and moves more like DE when in open space. He'd be a great UT in a T2 defense.

Michael Jones: If ASU makes it far this year, expect Mike Jones to have some outstanding numbers like last year. Tall redzone target with deceptive speed.

Fall...e..ers?
James Laurinaitis : Something tells me that the game today could really hurt how people look at him.

William Moore:I think he won't get close to any of the numbers he had last year. He also doesn't really wow me as an athlete and (IMO) will most likely have average combine numbers for his position. He's still a baller though.

Brian Cushing: Something tells me Cush is gonna be playing hurt all year.

James Davis: Alot of talented juniors in this class and even a couple of seniors that I could see leap frogging him by the end of the year.

Cullen Harper: There was a lot of talks about him going first QB possibly in the beginning of the season. I don't think he'll be picked first day.

georgiafan
09-13-2008, 10:29 PM
I haven't been impressed with Courtney Greene from rutgers he has got beat bad for TD's in each of the games.

keylime_5
09-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Laurinaitis played well. He didn't make any huge plays but he didn't make mistakes and made a few nice plays. bad schemes on defense though and Marcus Freeman played terrible, defense got lit up by McKnight and USC's front 5.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Michael Johnson hasn't looked very good to date, or at least hasn't looked very active on the field. He looks impressive walking around the field and will make a play every so often, but he isn't hustling nearly as much as you'd like.

bearsfan_51
09-13-2008, 10:50 PM
I'll be saying this name a lot, but Marko Mitchell had 11 catches for over 200 yards and 2 touchdowns against Texas Tech and Missouri. Great combination of size and speed, but probably a mid to late rounder right now due to lack of exposure and experience.

As for falling, Hunter Cantwell certainly got off to a lousy start against Kentucky.

bearsfan_51
09-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Michael Johnson hasn't looked very good to date, or at least hasn't looked very active on the field. He looks impressive walking around the field and will make a play every so often, but he isn't hustling nearly as much as you'd like.
Story of his career. He's Calais Campbell with an even less impressive resume.

Bengals78
09-14-2008, 12:36 AM
[QUOTE=BRAVEHEART;1211618]

Terrill Byrd: Alot of people say he's too small to be considered an elite DT prospect, but I feel he's the best SR DT this class. He is Very athletic and moves more like DE when in open space. He'd be a great UT in a T2 defense.

you became my best friend with this. I think he is extremeely underrated and very talented. He is an inside pressure when he gets loose.

BigBanger
09-14-2008, 12:53 AM
Laurinaitis went from a top 10 pick in my opinion to a late first rounder and on par with Beckwith and Spikes as MLBs. Against USC, he was terrible. He's a chase guy. That's all he is. He's athletic, a good tackler, and works well in space, but the guy cannot stack and shed, or get off a block at all for that matter. He also sits in the hole on running plays. The best thing about Malauga is his power and his downhill attacking ability. He can make plays behind the LOS. JL makes plays 5 to 15 yards down field. He's my 4th rated MLB right now, and I can't believe it since he reminds me so much of Urlacher. He's just not physical at all.

Malcolm Jenkins is far and away the best prospect on that team, and I think he's bordering on elite. He got beat by Patrick Turner on one play, but played the run very well, and made a lot of tackles, and actually plays more physical than Laurinaitis.

Bengals78
09-14-2008, 01:03 AM
Laurinaitis seemed to even have a little trouble tackling tonight. A lot of the defense did.

BRAVEHEART
09-14-2008, 01:10 AM
I liked Laurin in the run game, but like a poster said before me...he waits for the RB to come to him instead of just running in and blowing shat up. Sky is the limit
for rey rey. Physically he's all that you ask for as a MLB, but he still needs to improve his game (and he knows that). He's looked better in coverage these two games, and that was one of my knocks on him.

Patrick Turner stepped it up again today, and I expect him to progress some more this season.

ToldLikeItIs
09-14-2008, 02:50 AM
I thought Matt Shaugnessy looked good today. He's a DE out of Wisconsin.

Raeshon McNeil from Notre Dame was pretty impressive at corner.

Bradley Fletcher, corner from Iowa, 6'2 210, is a kid to watch.

Stafford didn't impress me, Sanchez is all-world.

BRAVEHEART
09-14-2008, 02:59 AM

Raeshon McNeil from Notre Dame was pretty impressive at corner.

Bradley Fletcher, corner from Iowa, 6'2 210, is a kid to watch.

Stafford didn't impress me, Sanchez is all-world.

As a USC fan, I just can't say that...yet. But he sure has improved from last year, and when he was on today, he was on. For somebody who was labeled reckless and hot headed, he's been quite efficient/calm/responsible while QBing for us. But my favorite thing about him is his leadership skills. When he's in there I feel like we got the upper hand.

Yatta!
09-14-2008, 05:50 AM
I think that there were a lot of people who were getting rated as top prospects because of the seasons that they were expected to have. However so far players like Michael Johnson, Hunter Cantwell, Cullen Harper etc. have not made the step up that many thought they would.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-14-2008, 07:46 AM
I'm not gushing over Sanchez like everyone else, I don't even view him as a pro prospect yet. I hate how he gets all the credit for USC's success on both sides of the ball, but I guess that comes with being QB. The talent around him at RB and Wideouts is rediculous for college QB to have at their disposal, and while yes he has been a good game manager he hasn't shown me yet that he can make plays himself. Although throughout the draft process when he goes pro his flaws may be hidden because of the talent around him, it doesn't mean they aren't there. I'm not saying he can't be a top pro prospect, but I'm just saying that I'm not gushing over him because of two performances in which he did what any USC QB should do with that kind of talent around them. I thought he played well yesterday but not particularly excellent. And that UVA win shouldn't really count for anything, UVA is basically the worst DI team. Their defense is nothing to write home about considering they lost 45-10 yesterday against UCONN who is a team used to winning games despite sometimes not even scoring in double degits. I mean Tyler Lorenzen had zero TD's, and 4 INT's the first two games of the season against Hofstra and Temple, but lit up UVA for 45 points yesterday.

Race for the Heisman
09-14-2008, 08:43 AM

Shaugnessy impressed me last year when I caught a few games but I haven't really kept tabs on him since.

I'm not gushing over Sanchez like everyone else, I don't even view him as a pro prospect yet. I hate how he gets all the credit for USC's success on both sides of the ball, but I guess that comes with being QB. The talent around him at RB and Wideouts is rediculous for college QB to have at their disposal, and while yes he has been a good game manager he hasn't shown me yet that he can make plays himself. Although throughout the draft process when he goes pro his flaws may be hidden because of the talent around him, it doesn't mean they aren't there. I'm not saying he can't be a top pro prospect, but I'm just saying that I'm not gushing over him because of two performances in which he did what any USC QB should do with that kind of talent around them. I thought he played well yesterday but not particularly excellent. And that UVA win shouldn't really count for anything, UVA is basically the worst DI team. Their defense is nothing to write home about considering they lost 45-10 yesterday against UCONN who is a team used to winning games despite sometimes not even scoring in double degits. I mean Tyler Lorenzen had zero TD's, and 4 INT's the first two games of the season against Hofstra and Temple, but lit up UVA for 45 points yesterday.

I agree, I think he's the second coming of Matt Leinart. Take that how you want to, but I think being right-handed will help him a little bit and he could have more pro success than Leinart (assuming he doesn't turn it around), although I don't expect his stock to go as high (perhaps in part because of that comparison).

P-L
09-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Laurinaitis played well. He didn't make any huge plays but he didn't make mistakes and made a few nice plays. bad schemes on defense though and Marcus Freeman played terrible, defense got lit up by McKnight and USC's front 5.

If I draft a LB in the top 10-15 I want him to make plays, not just play mistake free. He was swallowed up in the run game for most of the game and made most of his 7.5 tackles five or six yards beyond the line of scrimmage. He looked like what I've been saying he is for 3 years now: A good, but not great linebacker.

Cribbs>Hester
09-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Laurinaitis proved to me again lastnight, and makes my point even stronger, he is the most overrated player in the entire county.

Another thing I've been watching after two games this year. ClaY Matthews Jr. is going to make for a better pick in the second day than Brian Cushing ever will in the first round. Someone is going to get a better player and for less money by making that wise choice. Basically I hate all you mockers who keep giving Cleveland this injury prone joke of a prospect.

josh07039
09-14-2008, 10:47 AM
I haven't been impressed with Courtney Greene from rutgers he has got beat bad for TD's in each of the games.

I couldn't agree more. He has had the nfl in his head so he decided to bulk up and is now too slow.

Axl Rose
09-14-2008, 11:54 AM
I'd like to add

safety David Bruton
Fullback Asap Schwapp
Cornerback Terrell Lambert
Linebacker Maurice Crum
Defensive tackle Patrick Kuntz

as ND senior players that have looked pretty good so far.

Bengals78
09-14-2008, 05:01 PM
I also think Alex Boone's stock might drop. He seemed to have a lot of penalties called against him, mostly false starts. That could hurt his draft if it continues

jnew76
09-15-2008, 05:38 AM
Stock Up

Sean Weatherspoon has been the best LB in college football this year
Mark Sanchez is beginning to play up to his talent
David Johnson QB - Tulsa - Really stepping out of the shadow of Paul Smith
George Selvie - Just ask Kansas how good he is

Stock Down -

James Laurinitas - He will shed a block one day, instead of free lancing and running around them
Matthew Stafford - A top pick should complete more that 62% of his passes against Georgia Southern, Central Michigan, and South Carolina in 3 games.
Tim Tebow - Less running and more passing has not led to more completions. 61% and has missed badly on some throws.
Cullen Harper - Has not shown that he can be a difference maker and leader in close games or when they are behind.
William Moore - Has been injured, but he has just not been around the ball as much as last year.

Bengals78
09-15-2008, 01:35 PM
I wouldnt say Sanchez's stock is rising. I think it is understood that he has immense talent surrounding him yet he still makes dangerous throws over the better one. He is a talent no doubt but I think he is where he belongs.

BRAVEHEART
09-15-2008, 01:46 PM
I wouldnt say Sanchez's stock is rising. I think it is understood that he has immense talent surrounding him yet he still makes dangerous throws over the better one. He is a talent no doubt but I think he is where he belongs.

Dangerous Throws? Dude is pretty conservative with the ball, and holds it until he's ready to fling it which he's been doing a good job of. besides for the ball he under threw Damin Williams (INT) at the end of the first half, he seemed pretty spot on when he decided to throw. Does He forces some balls....yeah, but doesn't every elite QB do that? Sanchez is in the mold of a game-changing QB, he's the type who wants to take the game over rather than manage it (which he can do). He has one more year of eligibility left, so he could always stay and polish his game, but if I was him I'd leave this year, because I don't see too many QB's rivaling him (if he has a heisman like year) come draft time.

Bengals78
09-15-2008, 02:56 PM
I dont think he is bad. I would offer the same criticism of Stafford and others. Just so happens Sanchez was the one in question. I like Sanchez, I think he is a better pro prospect than that guy in Arizona who backs up Kurt friggin Warner. I just dont think what he has done has earned him a rise in stock yet. Personally i expected such from him. But if he continues, my apologies and you will be correct.

Solomon
09-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Risers

Josh Freeman - He's starting more and more to look like a first round caliber prospect.

Auston English - Got a little bit overshadowed by the other junior DEs around the country but so far this year he's been the most impressive IMO.

Brian Orakpo - Also was overshadowed by Michael Johnson and Tyson Jackson during the preseason but he looks better on the field and is also a workout warrior to boot.