PDA

View Full Version : Al Davis prepared to fire Lane Kiffin midseason

P-L
09-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Reports say that Davis could give Kiffin the boot on Monday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3587018

MetSox17
09-14-2008, 09:01 AM
I hope someone picks him up next year as a coordinator. He deserves a fair shot in this league. And you know what else i hope? That Oakland is forced to promote from within cause no one wants to apply for the job.

bored of education
09-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Chiefs sign him now, then draft Stafford= Championship in 2011.

BigJohn98
09-14-2008, 09:04 AM
That franchise is a complete joke. Davis just needs to die.

Gay Ork Wang
09-14-2008, 09:12 AM
please bears get him and release Turner

T-RICH49
09-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Chiefs sign him now, then draft Stafford= Championship in 2011.

Agreed (10 char)

Addict
09-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Al always finds a way to dig a deeper hole for his team these days. I'm not surprised.

Bearsfan123
09-14-2008, 10:02 AM
please bears get him and release Turner

Oh dear heavens YES!!!!

NIN1984
09-14-2008, 10:06 AM
comment to excellence?

ShutDwn
09-14-2008, 10:06 AM
They sure know how to pick 'em down there.

Firing a coach midseason is always my favorite remedy for putting together a bad team.

Brent
09-14-2008, 10:22 AM
As a Niner fan, it's nice to know that, regardless of how bad we are playing, you can always look across the bay and see a team that is being destroyed by it's owner.

09-14-2008, 10:30 AM
We have not seen the last of Lane Kiffin in the NFL. What Al Davis believes is virtually irrelevant and worthless. It's almost a near certainty we must now hire from within as long as our owner is still alive. Enough is enough already Al.

LonghornsLegend
09-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Who in the hell wants that job in Oakland? I guess if the money is good enough but its a career killer, now I really understand why they call it the black hole...Just sucks in players and coaches career right into it.

P-L
09-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Would Rob Ryan get the job?

MetSox17
09-14-2008, 10:44 AM

You would imagine since he's Al's puppet.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-14-2008, 10:48 AM
**** you Al.

If Kiffin is fired stop showing up to games or buying anything that has the Raiders logo.Show Al were not gonna put up with his **** anymore.

09-14-2008, 10:48 AM

Yes, this would be my best guess as well. Al's apparently always thought very highly of Ryan and he was the runner-up to Kiffin during the last coaching search.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Don't forget Lofton.

Geo
09-14-2008, 10:53 AM
I didn't think much of the Kiffin hire at the time, like most everyone else, but I've become impressed with him since then. He definitely deserves a second head coaching opportunity imo.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-14-2008, 11:05 AM
First off, it wouldn't shock me in the least bit if Lane Kiffin doesn't make it through this season. He'd have to really pull this team together to make it to week 17, and even then his chances of coming back are slim.

However, Mortensen isn't doing his homework. Tim Kawakami, the guy who wrote that article for the Mercury Times, has been consistently wrong about the Raiders and has never accurately cited so called "front office sources". He may be proven right, as Kiffin may be gone sooner rather than later, but I Kawakami is the only guy who's made any such statement and he's pretty much the last guy who would know anything.

LonghornsLegend
09-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Just bring in a whole new offensive system, not like you have a franchise QB your trying to groom and get comfortable in one system or anything:rolleyes: Just one of the few things that Oakland seems to pull off to ruin a players development...JR has been one of the bright spots for them too.

WinslowEdwards19
09-14-2008, 11:57 AM
This is unbelievable, Al Davis is so out of touch with reality that he is purposely driving this team into the ground.

I feel sorry for all of the die hard Raider fans..

D-Unit
09-14-2008, 12:08 PM
If Al is so stupid, how come you guys ended up with Kiffin in the first place. :rolleyes:

Matthew Jones
09-14-2008, 12:36 PM
People need to stop hoping Al Davis dies. Football is not more important than a human life. Look forward to receiving negative reputation from me for making those comments. Regardless of how we perceive Al Davis, let's get one thing down: this is a guy who has contributed more to the NFL than almost anyone, and the Oakland Raiders are his football team.

Who knows what's going on behind the scenes? In interviews, it sure seems to me like Lane Kiffin (someone who I have been somewhat impressed with as a head coach) has been throwing him under the bus.

The Raiders are Davis' property, and he can hire and fire whoever he wants. He has no obligation to employ a coach who he does not feel confident in or on the same page as. The same goes for every owner in the NFL. Do I think his firing Kiffin mid-season is a bad idea? Yes. But is it possible I would do the same thing in his place? Again, yes.

aNYtitan
09-14-2008, 01:16 PM
This officially puts the raiders as I believe the worst sports franchise in all of the 4 major sports. Nobody really wants to coach there, the personnel moves like signing a DT to a multimillion dollar contract when he possibly isn't the best defensive lineman on his squad, and just not having luck anywhere on the field. It looked like their secondary would be much better but Eddie Royal lit up DeAngelo Hall. How the mighty have fallen

WinslowEdwards19
09-14-2008, 01:17 PM
If Al is so stupid, how come you guys ended up with Kiffin in the first place. :rolleyes:

Alright, you support Al Davis?

Wierd.

09-14-2008, 01:18 PM
People need to stop hoping Al Davis dies. Football is not more important than a human life. Look forward to receiving negative reputation from me for making those comments. Regardless of how we perceive Al Davis, let's get one thing down: this is a guy who has contributed more to the NFL than almost anyone, and the Oakland Raiders are his football team.

Who knows what's going on behind the scenes? In interviews, it sure seems to me like Lane Kiffin (someone who I have been somewhat impressed with as a head coach) has been throwing him under the bus.

The Raiders are Davis' property, and he can hire and fire whoever he wants. He has no obligation to employ a coach who he does not feel confident in or on the same page as. The same goes for every owner in the NFL. Do I think his firing Kiffin mid-season is a bad idea? Yes. But is it possible I would do the same thing in his place? Again, yes.

All we want is for Al to step down ... :rolleyes:

CC.SD
09-14-2008, 01:46 PM
LOL, go Al go!

Xonraider
09-14-2008, 05:26 PM

Please, tell me you are being ironic and not really defending Al...

PACKmanN
09-14-2008, 05:35 PM
We have not seen the last of Lane Kiffin in the NFL. What Al Davis believes is virtually irrelevant and worthless. It's almost a near certainty we must now hire from within as long as our owner is still alive. Enough is enough already Al.

So if what Davis believes irrelevant and worthless, then I guess Kiffin isn't going to be in the NFL since Davis was the one who hired him.

09-14-2008, 05:44 PM
So if what Davis believes irrelevant and worthless, then I guess Kiffin isn't going to be in the NFL since Davis was the one who hired him.

According to Al he wasn't the one who hired him LOL.

GB12
09-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Wow that's low. Let him do all the offseason work, training camp, and all that preperation crap and then fire him after two games? Coming off of a win too. The Raiders need to be taken away from Al Davis.

Xonraider
09-14-2008, 06:12 PM

Do you think Al Davis would allow a coach to come in HIS team without him hiring or approving him..

Come on...

mqtirishfan
09-14-2008, 06:12 PM
People need to stop hoping Al Davis dies. Football is not more important than a human life. Look forward to receiving negative reputation from me for making those comments.

The Internet is Serious ******* Business.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-14-2008, 06:48 PM

I thought that comment implied Kiffin had changed.

Menardo75
09-14-2008, 06:53 PM
That would be a mistake but probably will happen.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Kansas City made Oakland look pretty good today. That running game won't quit functioning, but that passing game needs to improve quickly.

Staubach12
09-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Oh, Al Davis... Will the senility ever end? You've turned your respected franchise into a punch-line.

Staubach12
09-14-2008, 08:38 PM
The Internet is Serious ******* Business.

http://blog.dreamhost.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/serious.jpg

09-14-2008, 08:43 PM
I thought that comment implied Kiffin had changed.

Yeah, nvm you're right. I must have misread somewhere ..

yourfavestoner
09-14-2008, 08:54 PM

Because Al originally wanted Sarkisian, but Sarkisian knew better than to go to the coaching graveyard we call Oakland. So Al settled for the "other" USC coach.

09-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Because Al originally wanted Sarkisian, but Sarkisian knew better than to go to the coaching graveyard we call Oakland. So Al settled for the "other" USC coach.

Eh, I actually like this 'other' SC coach too.

yourfavestoner
09-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Eh, I actually like this 'other' SC coach too.

So do I. I think Lane will grow into a great coach in the NFL. I was just pointing out that he wasn't Al's first choice. Lane was basically the only person that would take the job.

09-14-2008, 09:06 PM
So do I. I think Lane will grow into a great coach in the NFL. I was just pointing out that he wasn't Al's first choice. Lane was basically the only person that would take the job.

Yes, whatever team hires him next will have a great one. That much I can promise you.

Geo
09-14-2008, 09:28 PM
He still hired him though. Kiffin didn't put a gun to his head to make him do it.

bearsfan_51
09-14-2008, 09:41 PM
People need to stop hoping Al Davis dies. Football is not more important than a human life. Look forward to receiving negative reputation from me for making those comments.
If you think life is so important you should be volunteering at the soup kitchen and not threatening to nep rep people on a message board.

diabsoule
09-14-2008, 09:43 PM
http://blog.dreamhost.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/serious.jpg

You have my computer background as your sig. Weird.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-14-2008, 09:45 PM
If you think life is so important you should be volunteering at the soup kitchen and not threatening to nep rep people on a message board.

But you can't neg rep people at the soup kitchen.

yung hit
09-14-2008, 09:46 PM
But you can't neg rep people at the soup kitchen.

Wanna bet?

http://www.localseoguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/sein_soup_nazi.jpg

bigbluedefense
09-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Lane Kiffin is actually a damn good coach. The problem is he has no control over his staff, or the players he wants to bring in.

He'll get a shot somewhere else. I hope so at least. I think he'll make a great coach somewhere else.

BandwagonPunditry
09-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Saw this (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/14/SPNM12U2H2.DTL). Ugly reading.

It seems to suggest that Ryan's tirade was ordered by Davis as a method of turning the sqaud against him. Not only that but on the ground of 'insubordination' he's not going to pay Kiffin the balance of his countract. I think it's disgusting and dishonourable behaviour from the organisation and whilst Kiffin was probably out of line publically attacking his own defence he never should have been in the position of being marginalised to begin with.

There's some consolation for Kiffin though, he's away from an unhealthy organisation that undermined him, he's young and he'll have another shot soon. He'll have to work as a co-ordinator for a while I'd imagine but at 33 he's got a lot more left in the tank and with a few good seasons he'll mature into a better coach all round. And lastly, as the article says Davis fired Shanahan early in the 1989 season and refused to pay him the remainder of his contract, that move doesn't seem to have gone so well, week 1 being the latest reminder.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Al Davis is also prepared to suck your heart out through your neck.

Gatz
09-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Again. Al Davis needs to die.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Who will die first, Al Davis or Keith Richards?

bigbluedefense
09-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Sounds like even the players dislike Kiffin. Kiffin's mistake was he made his battle with Davis rub off on the players, and instead of taking the high road and defending his players, he shifted blame onto others. Thats not what a HC should do (although I can't blame the guy), and he lost his team bc of it.

At the same time though, the Raiders are so dysfunctional, they have a bunch of babies in that lockerroom. They need a Bill Parcells ass whooping to get them in shape.

bsaza2358
09-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Who will die first, Al Davis or Keith Richards?

Wait, Al Davis isn't the lead guitarist for the Rolling Stones, and Keith Richards doesn't like to wear sweatsuits?

MetSox17
09-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Sounds like even the players dislike Kiffin. Kiffin's mistake was he made his battle with Davis rub off on the players, and instead of taking the high road and defending his players, he shifted blame onto others. Thats not what a HC should do (although I can't blame the guy), and he lost his team bc of it.

At the same time though, the Raiders are so dysfunctional, they have a bunch of babies in that lockerroom. They need a Bill Parcells ass whooping to get them in shape.

Too bad that as long as Al Davis is around, he won't have the balls to bring in someone like Bill Parcells.

Bruce
09-15-2008, 02:42 PM
As much as Al has done for the NFL he's still the NFL's biggest douche. And close to worst owner.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Wait, Al Davis isn't the lead guitarist for the Rolling Stones, and Keith Richards doesn't like to wear sweatsuits?

Actually Keith loves a good sweatsuit!

He could probably do Al's job too. Not sure if Al can jam like Keith though.

MetSox17
09-15-2008, 02:55 PM
As much as Al has done for the NFL he's still the NFL's biggest douche. And close to worst owner.

By saying "close to worst" you believe there's someone out there that might challenge him for that title. Please, explain.

Geo
09-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Screw Al Davis, what a POS over the way he's handled all of this.

Kiffin didn't want to draft Russell and all these other draft picks, the players the team has acquired, he doesn't even get to have the defense he wants (Tampa 2). Get lost, you old lizard scumbag.

bernbabybern820
09-15-2008, 09:30 PM
http://www.sbreport.net/raider_news/008/395.html

I'm going to miss Lane.

mqtirishfan
09-15-2008, 09:40 PM
By saying "close to worst" you believe there's someone out there that might challenge him for that title. Please, explain.

The Bidwells say hello.

P-L
09-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Don't forget William Clay Ford. Remember, he's the guy who can't find a reason as to why he should fire Matt Millen.

Bruce
09-15-2008, 09:45 PM
By saying "close to worst" you believe there's someone out there that might challenge him for that title. Please, explain.Well, Tom Benson tried to movie his team to San Antonio while the city his football team was in was destroyed by the biggest natural disaster this century. Then lied about it. If not for Tags New Orleans would be in S.A.

That qualifies right?

09-15-2008, 09:46 PM
http://www.sbreport.net/raider_news/008/395.html

I'm going to miss Lane.

Damn, it's close to official. I hope there won't be as many distractions the rest of the way. Nothing worse in the NFL today than a bad relationship between the owner & HC, imo.

Smokey Joe
09-15-2008, 10:13 PM
so is Ryan going to take over as the HC?

Also, the Bears should immediately hire Kiffin as their OC... who cares if it's midseason!

09-15-2008, 10:25 PM

Also, the Bears should immediately hire Kiffin as their OC... who cares if it's midseason!

Well, according to the article the move should be official by Wednesday. Wherever Kiffin lands after this I just know he's going to be successful. One of the brighter young offensive minds in the league today. Overall an excellent playcaller and he certainly made the most of a terrible situation on and off the field during his short stay here.

Iamcanadian
09-15-2008, 10:34 PM

Guaranteed for sure. Another Al Davis 'yes' man.

awfullyquiet
09-15-2008, 10:36 PM

Please Thank You.

If they can't get him as even a 'special assistant', i'd be sad.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-15-2008, 11:08 PM
I find it easiest to empathize with Kiffin in this situation before anyone else (no doubt a product that most people have trouble figuring out Davis' perspective most of the time). That said, this has mostly been a coaching staff and front office tussle; the players have mostly kept clear of the ordeal.

Honestly, I'm sick to my stomach when I think about this team. They're going to have a hard time finding a decent head coach this coming offseason, and one can hardly blame whoever they interview for turning them down. As far as I can tell, Nnamdi Asomugha is either going to leave or be forced back against his will by the franchise tag. JaMarcus Russell is a guy who need stability, and he's not going to get it anytime soon. McFadden fits the current Oakland system, but I have no idea if that system will stay in place considering what a stretch it was to Al Davis' sensibilities.

I'd love this team to shock me, but I expect more of the same. And the same doesn't bode well.

Stash
09-15-2008, 11:16 PM
http://www.sbreport.net/raider_news/008/404.html

That latest report sounds like Kiff is gone for sure now. It'll probably be better for Kiffin though, he can get a job with a team that doesn't have a crazy owner. This whole situation just sucks.

giantsfan
09-15-2008, 11:49 PM
I could see Al overpaying for some old established coach who's been out of coaching for a year or two, who'd have the NFL clout for Al to let him do his thing for atleast two or three seasons. and with improved play against the run up the middle, better pass blocking, a better pass rush and some more weapons that team could really compete if a real coach could take over that lockeroom.

Al needs to go after some huge name, say cowher and get a coach like that to tell him he'll only take the job if al gives him full autonomy of his team, a guy with that type of name power could jostle the remnants of Al's brain and maybe get him to back off.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Al needs to go after some huge name, say cowher and get a coach like that to tell him he'll only take the job if al gives him full autonomy of his team, a guy with that type of name power could jostle the remnants of Al's brain and maybe get him to back off.

Completely agree, but I doubt it'll ever happen. If Al goes after a guy who's been out of the league, it's going to be someone like Denny Green or Jim Fassel.

SFbear
09-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Screw Al Davis, what a POS over the way he's handled all of this.

Kiffin didn't want to draft Russell and all these other draft picks, the players the team has acquired, he doesn't even get to have the defense he wants (Tampa 2). Get lost, you old lizard scumbag.

Dear Lane Kiffin,

Please come to the Bears. We have a Tampa 2 just like you like and a head coach who is really just a glorified defensive coordinator so you'll have complete control of the offense.

P.S. Please punch Ron Turner in the back of the head when you take over his office.

Menardo75
09-16-2008, 12:44 AM

Terry Donahue sends his best wishes.

Menardo75
09-16-2008, 12:46 AM

I could definitly see him as our 5th Oc next year.

Geo
09-16-2008, 12:54 AM
What if Kansas City hires a new GM, and he in turn hires Kiffin? LOL, potential Mike Shanahan 2.0. Way to go, Al Davis.

Menardo75
09-16-2008, 01:20 AM
What if Kansas City hires a new GM, and he in turn hires Kiffin? LOL, potential Mike Shanahan 2.0. Way to go, Al Davis.

I love it :)

DeathbyStat
09-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Why would any want the raiders job?

bigbluedefense
09-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Why would any want the raiders job?

people who would otherwise have no shot at getting a HC gig, thats who.

if i knew id never get a chance at being a HC, and Oakland offers me the job with more money than im already making, id accept the job.

Money talks.

Addict
09-16-2008, 12:23 PM
still, a new HC won't help JR's devellopment either.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-16-2008, 08:44 PM
To make things better Tommy Kelly has been arrested.

Shiver
09-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Raiders fans need to hope Al Davis doesn't last too much longer. It's sad, but also true.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-19-2008, 07:24 PM
http://www.keepkiffin.com/

please everybody sign this.

bearsfan_51
09-19-2008, 10:03 PM
To make things better Tommy Kelly has been arrested.
For what, stealing all that money from the Raiders?

TitleTown088
09-19-2008, 10:08 PM

Copy Cat, I already cracked that one on here.

RaiderNation
09-19-2008, 10:08 PM

http://www.sammaislin.com/dui-lawyer-buffalo.jpg

bearsfan_51
09-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Copy Cat, I already cracked that one on here.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t210/nerdbaumer2/urkel.jpg

TitleTown088
09-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Two can play that game old man.
http://www.nndb.com/people/045/000108718/reginald-veljohnson.jpg

BTW isn't he " cool" now?

bearsfan_51
09-19-2008, 10:34 PM
I thought that was James Avery (Uncle Phil), but I could be getting them mixed up.

Stash
09-19-2008, 10:41 PM
http://www.keepkiffin.com/

please everybody sign this.

Best quote from the petition right here:
Lane Kiffin said: September 19th, 2008 8:01 pm
Mr. Davis if you fire me I will become more powerful then you can possibly imagine

Geo
09-20-2008, 02:04 AM
Two Yahoo articles pretty much sum up Al Davis and the Raiders under his direction in recent years:

"Kiffin saga just part of five-year abyss" (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AulxuRutfpeeSFW2AjT7KYpDubYF?slug=jc-dysfunctionalraiders091908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
"Davis wants to win just not on the field" (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AuFfkyJKueLXcU..9Q6Pf1xDubYF?slug=ms-thegameface091908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

summond822
09-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Shameful how far the Raiders have fallen...and they will continue their losing ways until someone gets the power away from Davis...

Kiffin was never given a fair shot to succeed. Unable to bring in the players he wants...unable to set up the schemes he wants...I feel bad for him and hope that he gets to stick it to the Raiders early and often in the upcoming years.

Someone said that they would probably franchise Nmamdi Asomugha, but I thought there was an agreement in the CBA were players can't be franchise tagged two consecutive years... (he is their franchise player this year right?)

NIN1984
09-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Al Davis must want JaMarcus Russell to be a bust.

Year One - Hold out, wasted season.

Year Two - Starting but its basically his rookie season and the Head Coach is about to get fired.

Year Three - New coaches, new schemes.

Not good, Al!

Stash
09-22-2008, 12:55 AM
I just saw on ESPN that league officials informed Kiffin he will be fired on Monday. It's in that breaking news bar at the bottom.

Here's another source:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8593236/Sources:-Raiders%27-Davis-to-fire-Kiffin-Monday-

Shiver
09-22-2008, 05:42 AM
That is remarkable because Lane Kiffin was the only person willing to take the Raiders' job. The best Al Davis could come up with was a "co-offensive coordinator" from a college team, and now he has to search again. No serious coaching prospect will go to Oakland and for good reason.

BlindSite
09-22-2008, 05:48 AM
If I was drafted by the raiders in the first round it woul be hard not to pull an eli on them bitches. If I was a player I'd rather go in the second and lose a few million than go in the first to the raiders.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Boycott!Boycott!Boycott!

P-L
09-22-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure Kiffin is going to get a head coaching job next year (unless it's at the college level) but I think he'd make a hell of an offensive coordinator.

Geo
09-22-2008, 10:15 AM
I don't understand this Syracuse rumor with Lane Kiffin. Why would Kiffin want to go to Syracuse of all places? He can get a much better job, either in the pros (maybe) or in college, waiting until after this season.

CherryGarcia510
09-22-2008, 11:14 AM
I don't understand this Syracuse rumor with Lane Kiffin. Why would Kiffin want to go to Syracuse of all places? He can get a much better job, either in the pros (maybe) or in college, waiting until after this season.

There is the U$C connectoin with Daryll Gross the Syracuse AD, and although Syracuse has been abysmal of late they do have tradition. He could start his recruiting now and maybe have Syracuse back to mediocrity in 2 years

Iamcanadian
09-22-2008, 11:50 AM

Syracuse has excellent facilities with an indoor stadium. It is just a matter of time before they find a good HC who can take advantage of this. Kiffen would make an excellent selection and worse case scenario, he improves the team substantially and gets his pick from among the college powers who are looking for a change. It would be a very smart decision on his part as Syracuse has tradition, facilities and can go nowhere but up.

Flyboy
09-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Come to New Orleans and help us utilize Reggie Bush better.

kkthxbye

diabsoule
09-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Come to New Orleans and help us utilize Reggie Bush better.

kkthxbye

You think Sean Payton would let him touch the offense?

Iamcanadian
09-22-2008, 12:22 PM
The Al Davis story.

Here is a man who had one of the great minds in pro football. He invented the bump and run defense in the old AFL and was a great HC and owner who has simply outlived his abilities and become a rather sad figure in his old age.
When Al moved from HC to being an owner, he never really ever gave up being Oakland's HC;. I suspect people like Flores and Madden were really assistant HC's and Davis really ran the show with their assistance.
Why didn't they complain like the current hires do, well Al was still young enough to get down on the field and really work with them and the players. It was a good combination and made Oakland a successful franchise.
So what changed that caused such a rift between Al and his HCing hires. It's simply, Davis grew too old to go down on the field and participate in the team's daily training. He remained in his box and thought he could still be the de facto HC without taking part in the teams preparations and training. He refused to give up any authority over personnel decisions including who would play that day. This soon wore very thin on his HC's who could no longer accept that Al really could see into his players while not taking any part in their training due to his age. They could no longer accept that he knew better than those who worked closely with the players and yet still wanted his instructions followed. This also opened up huge riffs between the coaching staff. Some coordinators played up to Al and thus didn't have to answer to their HC's any longer and as long as they did what Davis instructed them to do, they were secure in their jobs.
Soon it became obvious to the strong minded people who Davis hired to be his HC's like Shanahan and Gruden, that they would never be permitted to run their team as they saw fit and that they couldn't rely on their coaches to obey orders. This made coaching the Oakland team almost impossible and over time more and more of the young brilliant minds refused to be hired by Al and went elsewhere. Eventually Al had to reach down for a talented college coordinator in order to find anybody talented enough to take the job, but this HC soon learned the reality of coaching for Davis and the two just couldn't get along. So he will be fired soon.
Old age can do a brilliant mind in sometimes. It destroyed Howard Hughes and it is destroying Al Davis. I though we had it bad in Detroit but I now see that Oakland is right there with William Ford, an owner who was terrible to start with and has gotten worse over time. Apparently Al can only work with 'yes' people now who accept his authority without question and that simply doesn't work any longer and the rabid Oakland fans are left in the dust until Al probably dies.
It is truly a sad end to one of the great minds who ever coached a NFL team and will leave his legacy tarnished forever.

CC.SD
09-22-2008, 03:40 PM
The Al Davis story.

Here is a man who had one of the great minds in pro football. He invented the bump and run defense in the old AFL and was a great HC and owner who has simply outlived his abilities and become a rather sad figure in his old age.
When Al moved from HC to being an owner, he never really ever gave up being Oakland's HC;. I suspect people like Flores and Madden were really assistant HC's and Davis really ran the show with their assistance.
Why didn't they complain like the current hires do, well Al was still young enough to get down on the field and really work with them and the players. It was a good combination and made Oakland a successful franchise.
So what changed that caused such a rift between Al and his HCing hires. It's simply, Davis grew too old to go down on the field and participate in the team's daily training. He remained in his box and thought he could still be the de facto HC without taking part in the teams preparations and training. He refused to give up any authority over personnel decisions including who would play that day. This soon wore very thin on his HC's who could no longer accept that Al really could see into his players while not taking any part in their training due to his age. They could no longer accept that he knew better than those who worked closely with the players and yet still wanted his instructions followed. This also opened up huge riffs between the coaching staff. Some coordinators played up to Al and thus didn't have to answer to their HC's any longer and as long as they did what Davis instructed them to do, they were secure in their jobs.
Soon it became obvious to the strong minded people who Davis hired to be his HC's like Shanahan and Gruden, that they would never be permitted to run their team as they saw fit and that they couldn't rely on their coaches to obey orders. This made coaching the Oakland team almost impossible and over time more and more of the young brilliant minds refused to be hired by Al and went elsewhere. Eventually Al had to reach down for a talented college coordinator in order to find anybody talented enough to take the job, but this HC soon learned the reality of coaching for Davis and the two just couldn't get along. So he will be fired soon.
Old age can do a brilliant mind in sometimes. It destroyed Howard Hughes and it is destroying Al Davis. I though we had it bad in Detroit but I now see that Oakland is right there with William Ford, an owner who was terrible to start with and has gotten worse over time. Apparently Al can only work with 'yes' people now who accept his authority without question and that simply doesn't work any longer and the rabid Oakland fans are left in the dust until Al probably dies.
It is truly a sad end to one of the great minds who ever coached a NFL team and will leave his legacy tarnished forever.

I'm sure this is well written but damn that is a nice Canadian ass in your avy.

scottyboy
09-22-2008, 03:44 PM
dear Giants, please get kiffin to be heir apparent to Killdrive. As in, fire Killdrive's ass now

dear Raiders, I'm waiting for your call. I will so fix that team. Let me make the draft picks. Jamarcus+Run DMC+Kenny Britt+Tiquan Underwood=epic scottyboy raiders coach win

TitleTown088
09-22-2008, 04:39 PM
What in the hell is Al Davis doing?You can't leave your head coach in limbo like that all season long, either give him the axe or tell him his job is safe.

BlindSite
09-22-2008, 05:20 PM
You think Sean Payton would let him touch the offense?

Maybe he can find him a playbook with some run plays?

P-L
09-22-2008, 05:25 PM
According to ESPN, Kiffin and Davis haven't talked since before week one.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Funny Herrara almost gets in a fight with a journalist after the journalist asks Kiffin about if hes gonna be fired or not.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/22/herrera-kawakami-nearly-rumble/

Flyboy
09-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Maybe he can find him a playbook with some run plays?

Do people even watch the Saints play before they comment?

MetSox17
09-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Do people even watch the Saints play before they comment?

You can substitute any NFL team where you typed in 'Saints' and have a point about most peoples posts here.

Geo
09-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Why not just give Kiffin this season? He's making the most of the offense, to put them in position to win most games. If you're going to fire the guy anyways, might as well get some of your money's worth I say and let the guy coach.

Rob Ryan or James Lofton as the head coach isn't a move that demands to be made.

Hawk
09-23-2008, 12:13 PM
I'd be all for Kiffin coming to UT when Fulmer gets shitcanned this year

Iamcanadian
09-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Why not just give Kiffin this season? He's making the most of the offense, to put them in position to win most games. If you're going to fire the guy anyways, might as well get some of your money's worth I say and let the guy coach.

Rob Ryan or James Lofton as the head coach isn't a move that demands to be made.

Shanahan was saying the other night that he lasted for 1 season, 4 games, so this is just Al's pattern and nothing new.
Davis is holding out for awhile to see if Kiffen will quit so he doesn't have to pay him. You can certainly see the stress on Kiffen's face. Al will continue to leak stories that he is firing Kiffen hoping he breaks. If it doesn't work, he finally just fire him.

SFbear
09-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Funny Herrara almost gets in a fight with a journalist after the journalist asks Kiffin about if hes gonna be fired or not.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/22/herrera-kawakami-nearly-rumble/

Herrara-Im not embarassing myself, Im embarassing that, that, that you dont know how to write a column without making up a lie.

FAIL.

holt_bruce81
09-23-2008, 04:10 PM
So has he been fired?

I've been hearing mixed reports, someone told me they saw on NFL Network that he was fired but that was last night and ESPN still has nothing.

yourfavestoner
09-23-2008, 04:20 PM
This whole thing has turned into such a joke...

Cunningham
09-23-2008, 04:24 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/23/kiffin-apologizes-to-kawakami/

kiffin apologizes to kawakami, so far he's the only member of the raider organization to do so

BlindSite
09-23-2008, 05:18 PM
You can substitute any NFL team where you typed in 'Saints' and have a point about most peoples posts here.

I've seen 2 saints games and they don't have enough offensive balance, Breesus has been playing well, but they still need to get more of a ground game going in the third quarter of games.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-23-2008, 09:14 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/23/kiffin-apologizes-to-kawakami/

kiffin apologizes to kawakami, so far he's the only member of the raider organization to do so

Why should people apologize to Kawakami? He used a probable piece of information to state a false fact about Kiffin's immediate firing which was then propagated all over the sports new world.

Sure, some Raider exec went all nuts over him, but it wasn't completely uncalled for. If Herrera hadn't been so belligerent and unintelligent with his criticism there would be no reason for this.

Bucs_Rule
09-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Shanahan was saying the other night that he lasted for 1 season, 4 games, so this is just Al's pattern and nothing new.
Davis is holding out for awhile to see if Kiffen will quit so he doesn't have to pay him. You can certainly see the stress on Kiffen's face. Al will continue to leak stories that he is firing Kiffen hoping he breaks. If it doesn't work, he finally just fire him.

I dont see why Kiffen is so stressed. Once you know your going to be fired theirs nothing to worry about. The main reason the average person worries is because of money, but Kiffen already has millions so he doesn't have to. It would be very annoying having to go through all the work of game plans and preparing the team when you know your getting canned no matter what.

Cunningham
09-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Why should people apologize to Kawakami? He used a probable piece of information to state a false fact about Kiffin's immediate firing which was then propagated all over the sports new world.

Sure, some Raider exec went all nuts over him, but it wasn't completely uncalled for. If Herrera hadn't been so belligerent and unintelligent with his criticism there would be no reason for this.
herrera's reaction alone warrants an apology.

http://deadspin.com/5053785/its-just-al-in-the-darkness-now-tim-kawakami-discusses-his-run+in-at-raiders-headquarters
here's an interview deadspin had with kawakami for anyone that's interested. my favorite part is the 'deng xiaoping story'

awfullyquiet
09-23-2008, 11:11 PM
I dont see why Kiffen is so stressed. Once you know your going to be fired theirs nothing to worry about. The main reason the average person worries is because of money, but Kiffen already has millions so he doesn't have to. It would be very annoying having to go through all the work of game plans and preparing the team when you know your getting canned no matter what.

He shouldn't be. I don't think Kiffen is intimidated by this... He just does his... as jon gruden would say "i ******* do my ******* job"... if he gets fired, he knows half of the NFL might say hi.