PDA

View Full Version : Chase Coffman TE

jbeans187
09-14-2008, 09:21 PM
I couldnt remember or find a Coffman thread so here it is. I admit i will be a homer, but i feel Coffman doesnt get the national attention he deserves. It seems every game he adds a new highlight to the reel, but he isnt considered one of the most exciting players because he is a TE. Check these out...

Highlights up to this year...watch at 1:27, it's crazy at the CU game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQjTvtHHg9E

Hurdle in the Illinois game...the most impressive part is he makes the guy fall with a juke first
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m909cpzceZk

Skip to 5:20 in this video, this is what made me make this thread, he had 5 stiff arms on one run this weekend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HqMZs6tVMk&fmt=6

Skip to 0:30 for another hurdle...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ti_FeoksO0

Not to flame Moreno but these hurdles blow his out of the water.

Now as a prospect Coffman has mid to low 4.6 speed. He has amazing hands, quick for his size, and good leaping ability to get jump balls and hurdle people. Also a good route runner. His major knock is blocking, he is a great and willing downfield blocker, but that is usually against much smaller defensive backs. But the big question is can he block at the line of scrimmage?

I feel he is a late 1st early 2nd round pick, I like him better than Beckum, about even with Pettigrew, and under Gresham as a prospect. Your guys thoughts and how would you rank the TE's? I feel Coffman is the best college TE and 2nd or 3rd in terms of NFL prospects

BamaFalcon59
09-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Wow, he did stiff arm like five guys in that one play. That is impressive.

ImBrotherCain
09-14-2008, 09:48 PM
I couldnt remember or find a Coffman thread so here it is. I admit i will be a homer, but i feel Coffman doesnt get the national attention he deserves. It seems every game he adds a new highlight to the reel, but he isnt considered one of the most exciting players because he is a TE. Check these out...

Hurdle in the Illinois game...the most impressive part is he makes the guy fall with a juke first

Skip to 5:20 in this video, this is what made me make this thread, he had 5 stiff arms on one run this weekend

Now as a prospect Coffman has mid to low 4.6 speed. He has amazing hands, quick for his size, and good leaping ability to get jump balls and hurdle people. Also a good route runner. His major knock is blocking, he is a great and willing downfield blocker, but that is usually against much smaller defensive backs. But the big question is can he block at the line of scrimmage?

I feel he is a late 1st early 2nd round pick, I like him better than Beckum, about even with Pettigrew, and under Gresham as a prospect. Your guys thoughts and how would you rank the TE's? I feel Coffman is the best college TE and 2nd or 3rd in terms of NFL prospects

Thats deff not chase in the stiff arm video... Chase's number is 45 not 25... and to make Scotty happy its still no Leonard leap

BPhilb
09-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Thats deff not chase in the stiff arm video... Chase's number is 45 not 25

I'm not sure if you were aware, but Chase wore 25 this weekend in memory of Aaron O'Neiel who passed away three years ago at a summer workout. The number is given to a different player each week and Coffman had it on this weekend.

jbeans187
09-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Thats deff not chase in the stiff arm video... Chase's number is 45 not 25... and to make Scotty happy its still no Leonard leap

No that is him. He is wearing Aaron O' Neal's jersey, thats why there is no name. Brock Christopher wore it last week. O' Neal is the player that died a few years ago at practice, this would have been his senior year. The players that where his good friends are wearing his jersey throughout the season.

EDIT - BPhilb beat me to it

Smokey Joe
09-14-2008, 09:59 PM
If Brian Leonard was a TE, his name would Chase Coffman.

SuperKevin
09-14-2008, 10:57 PM
I like him a lot more than I liked Rucker. Coffman is a more dynamic playmaker at TE and seems more willing to block than Rucker ever did.

Babylon
09-14-2008, 11:25 PM

I dont think he's ever been a 4.6 guy but he is a tremendous athlete. He kind of reminds me of a Jeremy Shockey at a young age. Seems a better crop of TEs this year than last.

BamaFalcon59
09-14-2008, 11:27 PM
I don't think he is as physical as Shockey, and Shockey has been a great blocker the past few years.

But I was thinking about that comparison earlier.

holt_bruce81
09-15-2008, 12:51 AM
The best hands I've ever seen.

jnew76
09-15-2008, 04:50 AM
I don't think he is as physical as Shockey, and Shockey has been a great blocker the past few years.

But I was thinking about that comparison earlier.

He is not the physical freak that Shockey is/was... His hands remind me of Heath Miller... I think he could be almost as good as Jason Witten... and I know that is saying a lot. He is country strong and has the leverage and pop to develop into an excellent blocker. Has the best hands in this TE class and maybe the best hands in this class, period. The question will be straight line speed. He is not a burner. I think anything sub-4.7 will be outstanding for Coffman. His height and body control make him a complete mismatch. He is every bit of 6'5 1/2" and has incredible body control and skill for his size.

I think he is a 2nd-3rd rounder right now and could sneak into the 1rst if he runs incredibly and a team has the need.

rockio42
09-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Coffman is a straight beast and will be a first day pick, easy, he is a great reciever and can block pretty good and is going to kepp destroying this year

eaglesalltheway
09-15-2008, 08:56 AM
No one can ever live up to the zzzJordyzzz ZOMFGZ zzzNelsonzzz, but I nominate Coffman for the zzz's.

rockio42
09-15-2008, 09:01 AM
I second the nomination

but it just got harder consdiering Jordy caught a TD pass yesterday

eaglesalltheway
09-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I actually expected Jordy to get a TD pass soon. He has the size and GB spreads the wealth well. I'm glad he got the TD, but he can never live up to the hype generatd here, haha.

Race for the Heisman
09-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Coffman, Chase (Zach Miller); 40 time. Coffman catches the ball naturally with his hands away from his body. Is good after the catch through a combination of tackle-breaking ability (hurdles, stiff-arms, etc.) and elusiveness (making players miss). Is deceptively quick due to his long strides. Has great size and leaping ability, making him both a mismatch and a red zone weapon. Will make the tough catches over the middle. Hard to get a bead on his speed because sometimes he’s wide open, other times he’s forced to make catches over players. Probably 4.60-4.70. There may be questions about his blocking ability given the system in place at Mizzou, but that particular skill hasn’t been particularly relevant when determining the draft stock of tight ends in recent years. He is somewhat reminiscent of Dustin Keller but minus the breakaway speed. He gains so many yards but the fact that he has more than 1 TD:100 yards really shows the kind of impact player he is.

Value: Coffman probably won't run the 4.5 that would vault him into the middle of the first round, but I use the Zach Miller comparison not solely as a player comparison but as a prospect/stock comparison. Anything from late first to mid-second is the upper range of his value and he could potentially be leap-frogged (not unlike Zach Miller was), which would drive him down a bit, not in terms of value but with regard to where he is selected.

My take.

eaglesalltheway
09-15-2008, 10:56 AM
That is good, but quick players are quick because of their shorter strides. Players with long strides tend to be faster, but becasue their feet spend more time in the air, they can't change direction as quickly as short striders. The reson I said this is because you have written there that his long stride makes him quick. I don't know if that was a typo, but I figured that shoudl be fixed.

Babylon
09-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Coffman, Chase (Zach Miller); 40 time. Coffman catches the ball naturally with his hands away from his body. Is good after the catch through a combination of tackle-breaking ability (hurdles, stiff-arms, etc.) and elusiveness (making players miss). Is deceptively quick due to his long strides. Has great size and leaping ability, making him both a mismatch and a red zone weapon. Will make the tough catches over the middle. Hard to get a bead on his speed because sometimes heís wide open, other times heís forced to make catches over players. Probably 4.60-4.70. There may be questions about his blocking ability given the system in place at Mizzou, but that particular skill hasnít been particularly relevant when determining the draft stock of tight ends in recent years. He is somewhat reminiscent of Dustin Keller but minus the breakaway speed. He gains so many yards but the fact that he has more than 1 TD:100 yards really shows the kind of impact player he is.

Value: Coffman probably won't run the 4.5 that would vault him into the middle of the first round, but I use the Zach Miller comparison not solely as a player comparison but as a prospect/stock comparison. Anything from late first to mid-second is the upper range of his value and he could potentially be leap-frogged (not unlike Zach Miller was), which would drive him down a bit, not in terms of value but with regard to where he is selected.

My take.

Nice post, i do think he's more of a fluid athlete than Miller. Probably a little tough to evaluate in that system there but what's not to like really?

Race for the Heisman
09-15-2008, 02:09 PM
That is good, but quick players are quick because of their shorter strides. Players with long strides tend to be faster, but becasue their feet spend more time in the air, they can't change direction as quickly as short striders. The reson I said this is because you have written there that his long stride makes him quick. I don't know if that was a typo, but I figured that shoudl be fixed.

True, deceptively fast probably would have been better, the point was that with longer strides a guy can appear to not be moving as fast as he really is (Matt Jones FTW).

As for Babylon, I totally agree. Blocking can be taught, that's why it is not a huge priority when drafting a tight end, and other than there's not a lot more you could ask from Coffman without being unreasonable.

d34ng3l021
09-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Falcons draft.

1. William Moore/Malcolm Jenkins/Vontae Davis
2. Chase Coffman

STARHEATHER
09-15-2008, 10:58 PM
hes never blocked in-line in any game ive seen and doesnt look like he has the body for it. might look good in a colts uniform. its going to be a tough chore for hi to learn to block

holt_bruce81
10-12-2008, 04:59 PM
My god has anyone been watching this dude this season? Just absolutely sick hands and great great leaping ability. 1st round pick for sure

SuperKevin
10-12-2008, 05:02 PM
My god has anyone been watching this dude this season? Just absolutely sick hands and great great leaping ability. 1st round pick for sure

I'm not 100% sold on him being a 1st rounder. I don't think his game is well rounded enough to go that high but he could be a high 2nd rounder. With thatbeing said, he's the guy I want to see Buffalo try to get in round 2 to be our recieving TE in 2 TE sets.

holt_bruce81
10-12-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm not 100% sold on him being a 1st rounder. I don't think his game is well rounded enough to go that high but he could be a high 2nd rounder. With thatbeing said, he's the guy I want to see Buffalo try to get in round 2 to be our recieving TE in 2 TE sets.

If he proves to be a good blocker at the Senior bowl is he a top 20 pick?

jbeans187
10-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Another nasty catch last night

Brent
10-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Thats deff not chase in the stiff arm video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wReRTp5DY2w&feature=related

yes it is, and here is the video of nothing else but stiff arms for those curious

SenorGato
10-12-2008, 09:33 PM
I like him a lot more than I liked Rucker. Coffman is a more dynamic playmaker at TE and seems more willing to block than Rucker ever did.

Yea, he's got the profile of a Witten type TE. I think he's got the potential to sneak into the first round. I think he's the best prototypical TE in this draft.

SuperKevin
10-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Right now he's my #2 TE behind Jermaine Gresham and almost dead even with Brandon Pettigrew.

BamaFalcon59
10-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Gresham is going to be a very, very good player. He has all of the tools.

SenorGato
10-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Gresham is going to be a very, very good player. He has all of the tools.

Word. He's a 6'7 250+ pound WR that can block well. He and Coffman are the two TE's I expect to go in the first round.

I like Pettigrew and a healthy Beckum alot. Definitely not a bad TE class.

Babylon
10-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Coffman really showed me a lot in the loss to Texas. I dont see him as a traditional blocking TE but he's going to make a heck of a slot guy. Not sure what the average age is on this board but he reminds me a bit of Jay Novacek, who played with the Cowboys back in the 90s.

LonghornsLegend
10-18-2008, 11:33 PM
I'm sold...He looks like an NFL type of TE, showed off his athleticism and great hands, ceiling now as high as Gresham but I liked what I saw, he reminded me of Dallas Clark during most of that game.

10-18-2008, 11:35 PM
Coffman really showed me a lot in the loss to Texas. I dont see him as a traditional blocking TE but he's going to make a heck of a slot guy. Not sure what the average age is on this board but he reminds me a bit of Jay Novacek, who played with the Cowboys back in the 90s.

So that would equal to a modern-day comparison of Dallas Clark or Chris Cooley of course. But Bigger.

Babylon
10-18-2008, 11:43 PM
So that would equal to a modern-day comparison of Dallas Clark or Chris Cooley of course. But Bigger.

I think he's a little more athletic than those two, Novacek was a decathalon guy in college, became Aikman's possession guy.

holt_bruce81
10-19-2008, 12:53 AM
I'm sold...He looks like an NFL type of TE, showed off his athleticism and great hands, ceiling now as high as Gresham but I liked what I saw, he reminded me of Dallas Clark during most of that game.

I've always compared him to Dallas Clark, a bigger version of him.

Babylon
10-19-2008, 11:50 AM
I've always compared him to Dallas Clark, a bigger version of him.

I think that would be the safe comparison, to me Coffman is a potentially better player. Boy would i love to see him in New England.

Ozzy
10-19-2008, 02:32 PM
I have said it before, and it is not shock, he is the best TE in the upcoming draft. He is a bigger, faster and stronger version of Chris Cooley.

Just a outstanding receiving target, and in terms of the potential they shown in college, Coffman makes the likes of amazing receiving TEs in Kellen Winslow and Greg Olsen look almost average, and both were two outstanding receiving TEs prospects coming out.

BamaFalcon59
10-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Coffman pales in comparison to Winslow II.

Ozzy
10-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Coffman pales in comparison to Winslow II.Just like Chris Cooley does? Look at the production and see who is better? Winslow is a great prospect but sorry Winslow never hurdled players on a game by game basis, that is a freak athlete at TE and his hands are just as solid as can be. I loved Winslow coming out as a prospect, Coffman is just as good, might get overlooked slightly, but again Chris Cooley much? Just because he might not look like he is a stud athlete, doesn't mean he is not a stud on the field in terms of production.

Just a thought, name me one other TE that has hurdled as many players as Coffman has this season? Players might have done it one time, he does it weekly almost.

BamaFalcon59
10-19-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm not going to argue over something so obvious. Winslow was a much, much better prospect than Coffman is and will be. There is a reason Winslow went top 6 and Coffman may not go round one.

Ozzy
10-19-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm not going to argue over something so obvious. Winslow was a much, much better prospect than Coffman is and will be. There is a reason Winslow went top 6 and Coffman may not go round one.Again Chris Cooley, clearly one looks much better than the other but look who is more productive on the field and that is what it is all about.

To think Coffman is some crap prospect, is absolutely ridiculous! Again tell me all of these TE prospects who hurdle defenders because what, they are so athletically average and unimpressive? Please, Coffman is a real special pass catching TE and shows great route running and catching potential, plus has wonderful physical size.

Agree to disagree, but wait and see...

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 04:23 PM
i like him as a rd 2-3 prospect. the fact that he doesnt block anyone or play in line at all bothers me for a lot of schemes and situtations. could pan out in a colts type offense. he doesnt look like hes going to be effective in line.if he was id figure theyd use him. he kind of seems to me like a slow matt jones

Babylon
10-19-2008, 04:28 PM
i like him as a rd 2-3 prospect. the fact that he doesnt block anyone or play in line at all bothers me for a lot of schemes and situtations. could pan out in a colts type offense. he doesnt look like hes going to be effective in line.if he was id figure theyd use him. he kind of seems to me like a slow matt jones

I'm in agreement here, i think all the Big-12 tightends are pretty much used as slot guys so if he gets marked down for blocking i think you have to do the same with Pettigrew and Gresham. If put in the right system he's going to be great.

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 04:33 PM
hes not close to gresham or pettigrew. my problem is i dont see coffman as being great in any offense and several teams wont even look at one of these types. i just dont see much more than an oversized wr. if youre going to put a player flexed out, id just put another wr out there. he could work out. i dont see any semblance of greatness. every catch hes pretty much wide open

Babylon
10-19-2008, 04:49 PM
hes not close to gresham or pettigrew. my problem is i dont see coffman as being great in any offense and several teams wont even look at one of these types. i just dont see much more than an oversized wr. if youre going to put a player flexed out, id just put another wr out there. he could work out. i dont see any semblance of greatness. every catch hes pretty much wide open

I havent seen much of Pettigrew but Gresham doesnt have the greatest hands in the world and looks slow to me, i'll take Coffman if it comes down to those two.

Ozzy
10-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Wow, the problem with this kid is that he cannot block? Are you serious? The kid is 6-6 245, sure he is not a great blocker but his amazing pass catching potential at TE totally make up for that.

Again, I say Chris Cooley, how he is not a far better version of this current pro bowl TE?

I am not all about highlight clip guys on youtube, but seriously, see many tight ends literally jump over defenders?

That shows outstanding athletic ability, athletic ability that makes one an elite player. He will be hell to cover in the NFL and any team would be really lucky to have him. I would be shocked if he was not a 1st round pick, but even if he isn't a 1st round pick, doesn't mean he will not be a elite NFL player.

Staubach12
10-19-2008, 05:55 PM

And getting open is a bad thing?

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 06:16 PM
he doesnt block in line in any of the games. so how could you know he can block in line in the run game since he doesnt ever do it. it seems to be leaving a lot to chance as to whether he can actually perform te duties. i like my comparison. slow matt jones.

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 06:17 PM
anyone can make a catch when no one is covering them. it doesnt show anything

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 06:21 PM
i would never say any college player was better than any player who has gone to a pro bowl in the nfl. they may poetially be better. but i dont see chase coffman blocking like chris cooley, in line, out of the backfield. he blocks quite a bit. he doesnt fit that mold. hes skinny and lanky and hes going to get physically dominated at the nfl level. i mean if you have a good team and could be asisted by this type player in the mid rds, then by all means. i just havent seen anything that says hes a complete te or even a great receiver. he doesnt look the part

dunagan15
10-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Falcons draft.

1. William Moore/Malcolm Jenkins/Vontae Davis
2. Chase Coffman

Yes. I love Coffman for those of who that have not seen my posts on him.

Staubach12
10-19-2008, 09:25 PM
anyone can make a catch when no one is covering them. it doesnt show anything

And anyone can get open, right? Defenses just let TEs do whatever they want, so it's easy. Especially a very good TE. You're so right. Hail you, creator of the game of football.

Seriously, leave.

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 09:31 PM
im just saying every time he catches a pass theres rarely anyone near him, along with his other limitations as an nfl te

Babylon
10-19-2008, 09:31 PM
And anyone can get open, right? Defenses just let TEs do whatever they want, so it's easy. Especially a very good TE. You're so right. Hail you, creator of the game of football.

Seriously, leave.

Actually Coffman can go up and get the ball with people on him or take it away from a defender like he did against Texas.

rockio42
10-19-2008, 09:37 PM
I've been saying it since the beginning of the year that he is a straight freaking beast, and I'm happy people are starting to see why

P.S. Dude has mastered and brought back the Leonard Leap

jbeans187
10-19-2008, 10:32 PM
im just saying every time he catches a pass theres rarely anyone near him, along with his other limitations as an nfl te

What??? Against Ok st he had a nasty one handed grab while he was being held. He can get the ball, hes done it countless times, that is just one that stands out for me bc it was sooo nasty. I ve seen just about everyone of his games, his only weaknesses as a prospect are his timed speed and the question of whether he can block at the LOS, which he has the ability to do but in the spread isnt required to, so its a question. The timed speed isnt even that big of a deal as an NFL TE bc he already understands route running, and can play without Vernon Davis speed, look at Dallas Clark, Heath Miller, Antonio Gates, and Jason Witten they dont have elite speed but are some of the top TEs. He is a great TE prospect what are his limitations as an NFL TE?

STARHEATHER
10-19-2008, 11:39 PM
hes a decent pass receiver. hes not a physical miracle by any means and hasnt proven to and doesnt look like he has the phyical strength or body build to be an in line blocker. but for me id just rather have a wr than flex this guy out. hes not going to beat too many nfl dbs.

eaglesalltheway
10-20-2008, 07:06 AM
I've been saying it since the beginning of the year that he is a straight freaking beast, and I'm happy people are starting to see why

P.S. Dude has mastered and brought back the Leonard Leap

I honestly think you and me are his biggest supporters.

Not just becasue of the leap either, haha.

eaglesalltheway
10-20-2008, 07:13 AM
hes a decent pass receiver. hes not a physical miracle by any means and hasnt proven to and doesnt look like he has the phyical strength or body build to be an in line blocker. but for me id just rather have a wr than flex this guy out. hes not going to beat too many nfl dbs.

he is a very good pass catcher. He isn't a physical miracle by any means but like tohers have said, birng up other TEs like Heath Miller or Jason Witten. If you look at Witten, there is not a single aspect of his body that pops out or is very impressive, but his body is very strong as a whole, no he doesn't have tone or definition like Vernon Davis, but out of a TE, that isn't necessary. If you put Coffman next to Witten, and I'm sure you will see two average (though tall) looking men, though Witten may be a bit taller. They aren't physical specimens by any means, but in the NFL, you don't always need to be, especially at TE. By the way, in no way am I saying Coffman will be as good as Witten, but you are saying he can't be good, no matter what, so just showing you another side of the story. Joe Montana and Jerry Rice weren't physical freaks by any stretch of the imagination, but there is no arguing that they are two of the best, if not the best, players to play their position.

rockio42
10-20-2008, 08:12 AM
I honestly think you and me are his biggest supporters.

Not just becasue of the leap either, haha.

Haha yah the first page is just like me and you going back and forth

That leap is just sexy though...

rockio42
10-20-2008, 08:14 AM
What??? Against Ok st he had a nasty one handed grab while he was being held.

that catch was absolutely CRAZY!!! not to mention it was on the sideline and he stayed in bounds (god I still don't know how but he did it)

jbeans187
10-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Willy Mo was my favorite Mizzou player coming into this year, but after the hurdles, stiff arms, and one handed snags Coffman is on another level. I work at the rec center on campus and in intramural basketball the football players make a team, Coffman is easily the best player, he may not be the fastest but he is an athlete.

eaglesalltheway
10-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Willy Mo was my favorite Mizzou player coming into this year, but after the hurdles, stiff arms, and one handed snags Coffman is on another level. I work at the rec center on campus and in intramural basketball the football players make a team, Coffman is easily the best player, he may not be the fastest but he is an athlete.

To be honest, I watched Mizzou's first game mostly because of Willy Mo, but Coffman is the one who grabbed my attention, him and Witherspoon. But I really like him. I would love for the Eagles to grab him in the second round, as would almost any team that needs a TE I think, but if he keeps producing, he should be in the first round mix IMO.

matts22
10-22-2008, 11:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijIpIHOg23s

eaglesalltheway
10-23-2008, 06:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijIpIHOg23s

Care to comment busta?

Menardo75
10-23-2008, 02:59 PM
I always thought of Coffman as a young Jason Witten. They seem similar as a reciever. Chase has a little bit to go as far as the blocking goes though.

WCH
10-23-2008, 05:07 PM
For what it's worth, he's a lot like his dad (who was a 3-time Pro Bowler).

STARHEATHER
10-23-2008, 09:05 PM
big difference between him and heath miller and jason witten is they have proven effective as blockers and pass receiving when playing in line. coffman hasnt.if he showed he could do that effectively, id consider him but unitl then hes a slow matt jones. and his bloodlines dont matter. its not helping chris long any.

eaglesalltheway
10-24-2008, 06:42 AM
I always thought of Coffman as a young Jason Witten. They seem similar as a reciever. Chase has a little bit to go as far as the blocking goes though.

It is weird, the first time I looked at him last year, the first thing that came to my mind was Witten. Both look like they hav e zero muscle defintion at all, and are kind of pale, but both have very good overally body strength and control.

eaglesalltheway
10-24-2008, 06:46 AM
big difference between him and heath miller and jason witten is they have proven effective as blockers and pass receiving when playing in line. coffman hasnt.if he showed he could do that effectively, id consider him but unitl then hes a slow matt jones. and his bloodlines dont matter. its not helping chris long any.

I've heard that he can block from a lot of Mizzou fans, but because of their scheme he is almost never asked to do so. Besides, both Witten and Miller had question marks about blocking when they came into the NFL. But both of them have worked on it and have become all around NFL TEs. I'm not saying Coffman can step in and block like them, but he is in a similar situation to them blocking wise. He still needs work, but it isn't like he can't or wont block.

Chris Long is one of the few bright spots for the Rams Defense, he has two sacks at least and has made a ton of plays in the run game. I don't know where you are getting this crap from. 21 tackles, 17 solo, 4 assist, 2.0 sacks, 1 fumble recovery isn't bad at all for a rookie who has been shuffeld from RE to LE because of injuries. Sure he isn't setting the world on fire, but he has produced at a decent clip for a rookie DE, when you consider the rest of his circumstances.

Geo
10-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Sorry Mizzou fans, Coffman isn't close to a first round pick. No chance at all with his speed.

He has wonderful hands and good height, but the speed is a major issue as noted plus he has ways to go as a blocker. Tough situation that is, not really sticking out as either a downfield threat (ex. Travis Beckum) or as a blocker. But he can play.

Coffman is a third round pick, a little higher than Rucker who was a fourth round pick last year.

eaglesalltheway
10-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Sorry Mizzou fans, Coffman isn't close to a first round pick. No chance at all with his speed.

He has wonderful hands and good height, but the speed is a major issue as noted plus he has ways to go as a blocker. Tough situation that is, not really sticking out as either a downfield threat (ex. Travis Beckum) or as a blocker. But he can play.

Coffman is a third round pick, a little higher than Rucker who was a fourth round pick last year.

I thought that Coffman was supposed to have average speed for a TE. If you look at him on the field it certainly looks like that anyway. With adequate speed and the rest of the things he brigns to the table physically and mentally, along with his production, especially of latem he has a shot at second round easily IMO.

eaglesalltheway
10-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Hey Mizzou Fans, there is a guy who goes to my old rival High School named Jaleel Clark who has committed to Mizzou. He is a WR/DB, will probably be a WR or maybe a TE if he bulks up. He is a local guy, so most of the things about him are a little over the top. What do you guys expect out of him? Our high school is playing him tonight and wanted to get some info on him.

Menardo75
10-25-2008, 02:22 AM
Hey Witten 3rd round

jbeans187
10-25-2008, 04:37 AM
Hey Mizzou Fans, there is a guy who goes to my old rival High School named Jaleel Clark who has committed to Mizzou. He is a WR/DB, will probably be a WR or maybe a TE if he bulks up. He is a local guy, so most of the things about him are a little over the top. What do you guys expect out of him? Our high school is playing him tonight and wanted to get some info on him.

From what i have read he has great hands, big body, not a burner, and will stay at wr.

But so this doesnt get off topic Chase Coffman in the 2nd round

Babylon
10-25-2008, 11:36 AM
He could last till the early part of round 2 but dont see him going much further than that. If someone like a Detroit could grab their QB and DE in round and Coffman in round 2 they just won the draft. Probably giving them too much credit to be able to do that but whatever.

eaglesalltheway
10-25-2008, 06:07 PM
From what i have read he has great hands, big body, not a burner, and will stay at wr.

But so this doesnt get off topic Chase Coffman in the 2nd round

I looked him up on Rivals and saw they have him as a 3 star guy. Kinf od surprised me, he really hasn't seemed like that IMO. His highlight clips are nice though, I think on one of them you can see me from a few years back on the sideline.

eaglesalltheway
10-25-2008, 06:08 PM
With the way Coffman has produced this year, and if he shows he has average speed at the combine, I think he could go anywhere from the beginning of the second to the late third if he has a poor showing.

jbeans187
10-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Another amazing one handed catch in the back of the endzone and a hurdle. Also tonight Coffman set the NCAA mark for career receptions for a TE.

LonghornsLegend
10-25-2008, 11:35 PM
If guys like Heath Miller can slide in late 1st Coffman is a sure fire 1st rounder at this point, he's gonna be a great pro TE...Coffman provides more athleticism and I believe he cracks 4.7 in the 40, he's making sick catch week after week now.

Henryflo91
10-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Coffan will run a 4.5 Flat..Book it

giantsfan
10-25-2008, 11:55 PM
If guys like Heath Miller can slide in late 1st Coffman is a sure fire 1st rounder at this point, he's gonna be a great pro TE...Coffman provides more athleticism and I believe he cracks 4.7 in the 40, he's making sick catch week after week now.

Miller was much more powerfully built blocker coming out though, wasn't he?

SuperKevin
10-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Miller was much more powerfully built blocker coming out though, wasn't he?

Yes he was.

10-25-2008, 11:57 PM

That was also a weak draft year, imo. It's still too early to tell if this year's will be the same.

Babylon
10-26-2008, 12:02 AM
He seems to produce more highlight reels every week. Whether he's a late 1st or a 2nd round pick he's going to make a heck of a weapon. Sort of like a jumbo possession receiver. He's going to be very tough to cover with a linebacker and defensive backs are going to be at a serious size advantage. I'd love to see him end up in New England.

Geo
10-26-2008, 12:06 AM
That would be great for him if he does. However that wouldn't change how often he has defenders practically drapped on him before he can make awesome catches with his hands and ability, but it's only going to get tougher in the pros.

Coffman isn't the athletic prospect that Greg Olsen (who did run a 4.5 flat at the Combine) was, even though he's so much more productive. Although Chase Daniel and the Mizzou offense runs circles and even some squares around what Olsen had to work with.

Don't get me wrong though, I like the guy and wish him well. Whoever drafts him will get a good football player.

giantsfan
10-26-2008, 12:11 AM
He seems to produce more highlight reels every week. Whether he's a late 1st or a 2nd round pick he's going to make a heck of a weapon. Sort of like a jumbo possession receiver. He's going to be very tough to cover with a linebacker and defensive backs are going to be at a serious size advantage. I'd love to see him end up in New England.

IF we had an OC who built his system around the talents on our roster I'd love to see the gmen draft Chase if he's at the saints pick in round two, unfortunately we're all but certain to be stuck with killdrive barring a major collapse from the offense in the playoffs.

Babylon
10-26-2008, 12:16 AM
That would be great for him if he does. However that wouldn't change how often he has defenders practically drapped on him before he can make awesome catches with his hands and ability, but it's only going to get tougher in the pros.

Coffman isn't the athletic prospect that Greg Olsen (who did run a 4.5 flat at the Combine) was, even though he's so much more productive. Although Chase Daniel and the Mizzou offense runs circles and even some squares around what Olsen had to work with.

Don't get me wrong though, I like the guy and wish him well. Whoever drafts him will get a good football player.

I dont know where he's going to get drafted but to me he's more physical than Olsen. I think for a TE or slot guy timed speed is less of a requirement than quickness out of your cuts.

jbeans187
10-26-2008, 12:26 AM

I work with a guy on the team and from what he has told me, and i really trust him because he was on point with Will Franklin's 40 last year, Coffman will be very lucky and need a heavy breeze to get him in the 4.5s. Mid to high 4.6s is realistic.

Leon Sandcastle
10-26-2008, 12:33 AM
He's Zach Millerish. I think he has a bad 40 at the Combine and then everyone pegs him in the 3rd-5th range but teams think differently and draft him in the 2nd.

He's going to be a solid NFL player.

holt_bruce81
10-26-2008, 03:47 AM
Anyone see Coffman Hurdle that defender? He does it almost every week but that Defensive Back was pretty much standing straight up and Coffman jumped over him lol

giantsfan
10-26-2008, 04:05 AM
Anyone see Coffman Hurdle that defender? He does it almost every week but that Defensive Back was pretty much standing straight up and Coffman jumped over him lol

I'm waiting for him to front flip over two defenders and land in the endzone.

eaglesalltheway
10-26-2008, 09:38 AM
What can I say, I love this guy more and more every week. It is a testement to the type of player that he is that almost every team would like him as their pick.

eazyb81
10-26-2008, 09:51 AM
His one-handed TD catch in yesterday's game was insane, maybe the catch of the year up to this point.

eazyb81
10-26-2008, 09:54 AM
I looked him up on Rivals and saw they have him as a 3 star guy. Kinf od surprised me, he really hasn't seemed like that IMO. His highlight clips are nice though, I think on one of them you can see me from a few years back on the sideline.

Mizzou has done a great job of coaching up their players. Maclin is really the only star player that was ranked high in high school, he was a 4 star. Coffman, Moore, Weatherspoon, Hood, Daniel, etc. were all 3 stars or less.

holt_bruce81
10-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Mizzou has done a great job of coaching up their players. Maclin is really the only star player that was ranked high in high school, he was a 4 star. Coffman, Moore, Weatherspoon, Hood, Daniel, etc. were all 3 stars or less.

I think Weatherspoon was only a 2-star........Shows how overrated that system is. I mean heck, the best CB in the nation (Vontae Davis) was only a 3 star.

eaglesalltheway
10-27-2008, 06:43 AM
To be honest, that was the first time i was ever on Rivals.com. I figured I'd check him (Jaleel Clark) out. I don't follow college recruiting that much at all really, the extent to which I follow it is on national signing day, I look at my newspaper and see who PSU signed, and maybe, if I'm in the mood, look at some other top recruits.

draftguru151
10-27-2008, 09:40 AM
He's Zach Millerish. I think he has a bad 40 at the Combine and then everyone pegs him in the 3rd-5th range but teams think differently and draft him in the 2nd.

He's going to be a solid NFL player.

Miller is the closest thing I can think of with Coffman, though I don't expect him to run that poorly (seriously doubt a 4.5 as well). Miller was a bit more advanced in terms of being a tight end though, mostly because of the offense Coffman is in though. Not really a knock on him. 2nd round seems right.

rockio42
10-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Another sweet catch in the game and another hurdle, people can call me a homer all they want but I can not see him getting out of the second round unless he runs like 4.7+, and I hope to God he doesn't

Babylon
10-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Another sweet catch in the game and another hurdle, people can call me a homer all they want but I can not see him getting out of the second round unless he runs like 4.7+, and I hope to God he doesn't

He's not going to get hurt by running a 4.7, he isnt a 4.5 guy so hoping for that isnt realistic. It's been pointed out that your top TEs, guys like Gates and Witten arent speed guys wheras a Vernon Davis cant get open or catch the ball when he does. Whether Coffman goes late first to 2nd round i dont think is as important as finding a good fit with a good QB. I think teams like Atlanta, New England, Buffalo would be ideal.

eaglesalltheway
10-28-2008, 06:50 AM
He's not going to get hurt by running a 4.7, he isnt a 4.5 guy so hoping for that isnt realistic. It's been pointed out that your top TEs, guys like Gates and Witten arent speed guys wheras a Vernon Davis cant get open or catch the ball when he does. Whether Coffman goes late first to 2nd round i dont think is as important as finding a good fit with a good QB. I think teams like Atlanta, New England, Buffalo would be ideal.

I think he probably runs about a 4.65-4.75, unless he gets the technique thing or whatever and really excells at it. But if he even gets close to a 4.5 he is almost a first round lock with his production. Didn't he jsut set some record for TEs?

Philly could use him as well.

MetSox17
10-28-2008, 12:01 PM
I think he probably runs about a 4.65-4.75, unless he gets the technique thing or whatever and really excells at it. But if he even gets close to a 4.5 he is almost a first round lock with his production. Didn't he jsut set some record for TEs?

Philly could use him as well.

I'd love to see Atlanta get their hands on him. They'd be unstoppable on offense in two years.

LonghornsLegend
10-28-2008, 12:28 PM
I think Weatherspoon was only a 2-star........Shows how overrated that system is. I mean heck, the best CB in the nation (Vontae Davis) was only a 3 star.

I don't get caught up in that rating system, Texas consistently pulls in 3* and 4* prospects that end up turning into Aaron Ross, Jamaal Charles, Michael Griffin, Brian Orakpo among others...And there are handfuls of 5* guys who we signed that you never heard of, I learned that stuff is way overrated at times.

MetSox17
10-28-2008, 12:32 PM
I don't get caught up in that rating system, Texas consistently pulls in 3* and 4* prospects that end up turning into Aaron Ross, Jamaal Charles, Michael Griffin, Brian Orakpo among others...And there are handfuls of 5* guys who we signed that you never heard of, I learned that stuff is way overrated at times.

I'm pretty sure Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford were both three stars.

Sniper
10-28-2008, 12:43 PM

The best CB was a three star, but it is not Vontae Davis.

Larry121283
10-28-2008, 12:52 PM
I think he is a very good TE prospect. He and Okie State's Brandon Pettigrew are the top two traditional tight ends in the senior class. I don't think either of them hold a candle to Jermaine Gresham as a TE prospect (JG is one of those Top 10'r types), but I like what both bring to the table as a late first rounder-early second.

Coffman reminds me a bit of a more aggressive Ben Utecht in college. I think he has more upside then Utecht. Definitely a good prospect...especially if he can put on some good weight. He makes plays though...definitely got to like that.

holt_bruce81
11-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Lol um....Chase Coffman for Heisman? haha.

He's a god, clearly the most important player in Missouri's offense. If Missouri plays 14 games he's on pace for......

114 catches, 1,274 yards, 11 touchdowns

lol he's absolutely sick.

eaglesalltheway
11-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Lol um....Chase Coffman for Heisman? haha.

He's a god, clearly the most important player in Missouri's offense. If Missouri plays 14 games he's on pace for......

114 catches, 1,274 yards, 11 touchdowns

lol he's absolutely sick.

That is absolutely disgusting. I honestly like this guy more with every week, which is hard to do considering how much I already like him, haha.

winwin07
11-05-2008, 07:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY-RTOtFbZs

Skip ahead to 1:38 for the TD catch against Colorado....I was about 10 rows back at the 25 for this game......i was confident Daniel overthrew it and am still convinced he did big time when watching the vid. But then Coffman comes out of nowhere. No TE is making catches like this guy right now. Period. I do fear that the hurdles won't work in the NFL......

rockio42
11-05-2008, 08:14 PM
he is sick, there is no other way to put it

holt_bruce81
11-05-2008, 09:03 PM

Skip ahead to 1:38 for the TD catch against Colorado....I was about 10 rows back at the 25 for this game......i was confident Daniel overthrew it and am still convinced he did big time when watching the vid. But then Coffman comes out of nowhere. No TE is making catches like this guy right now. Period. I do fear that the hurdles won't work in the NFL......

4:28.......that DB is standing up lol

ha 4:50 hilarious.

eaglesalltheway
11-07-2008, 11:36 AM

Nice vid. Coffman is a meast no doubt about it.

The same question was brought up when Brian Leonard was coming into the NFL, and the truth is hurdles do not work as well in the NFL. Leonard has done it less often since coming into the pros, (I've only seen him do it once or twice, dont catch too many Rams games though) but when he chooses to do it he is successful. The hurdle is just a piece of Coffman's arsenal, and though he will have to use it less often, it won't affect him all too much.