PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency Thread

PalmerToCJ
03-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Well, things could actually get interesting for us.

Word is we might be in the running for a saftey or LB.

Get this, there's potential for Joey Porter or TKO. Supposedly us and the Cards have shown interest in Porter.

Not sure how Porter fits into the plans, TKO is a bum after the way he left us and he can't stay healthy to save his life... His bridges are burned.

rickscott
03-02-2007, 10:57 AM
I think it would be a mistake to go after either of them. There really isn't much out there. Even the TE from NE would command much more than he's worth. Resign KK and Kelly

PalmerToCJ
03-02-2007, 11:23 AM
If we lose Reggie Kelly that is gonna hurt big time and right now it looks like there is a chance that could happen. I couldn't care less about Tony Stewart.

Bengals78
03-02-2007, 04:43 PM
I dont think we NEED porter, but hey, he is an amazing LB. And he is better on our team than against it

PalmerToCJ
03-02-2007, 04:52 PM
I dont think we NEED porter, but hey, he is an amazing LB. And he is better on our team than against it

Agreed completely.

The thing I like about Porter is...

A. He's a vet we lack.
B. He has the intensity and mean streak that our defense needs.
C. He now hates the Steelers as well.

Still, he's gonna want to cash in and I don't see it happening here.

Bengals78
03-02-2007, 05:39 PM
well, it could still happen here we do need a big play LB who is a proven asset and can blitz the hell outta offenses

PalmerToCJ
03-02-2007, 06:11 PM
True.

At 30 though with his skills falling off I just don't see the use in giving him much of a contract. Not saying I don't want him, just that someone will overpay.

Bengals78
03-02-2007, 09:06 PM
yeah. i would only be interested in him for his playmaking ability. sign him a year or two and draft a LB to groom to take his spot (Timmons, Beason)

Bengals78
03-02-2007, 09:17 PM
"Just cut by the Steelers for money reasons, Porter, who turns 30 later this month, apparently fired up about the prospect of playing for head coach Marvin Lewis, is interested in joining a team that will play Pittsburgh twice a year."
Just an interesting tidbit. if he is fired up to play here, it might be possible to eek a deal out....

themaninblack
03-02-2007, 10:01 PM
i never really liked Joey Porter and think he is totally overrated and its not just cause he was a steeler. He's a 50 tackle a year wonder who gets to the pro bowl because he gets a good 10-12 sacks a year. I wouldnt mind seeing him a bengal but i doubt it would happen because he has a feud with our players and hes gonna want alot more money than he's worth or we're willing to give him. Sign KK and Reggie Kelly and we're straight.

PalmerToCJ
03-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Actually him and Chad get along, Chad said they talk once a week. TJ doesn't like him though haha.

I think someone might overpay for KK, he's a good backup but nothing more.

Kelly is who we really need to keep with Watson re-signed.

rickscott
03-03-2007, 03:53 AM
Most of the comments I've read from Steeelers fans say his mouth is bigger than his play and he gets 1-2 very costly penalties every game. If we ran a 3-4 then maybe but there's no sense in bringing in a guy who hasn't played our defense. The NYJets moved to a 3-4 defense from the 4-3 and it has really hurt the play of Jonathan Vilma. You never know what can happen in a case like that. We could sign Porter or even A.Thomas and they may seem mediocre in our defense.

PalmerToCJ
03-03-2007, 11:35 AM
I've heard some scouts said he's best suited for the 4-3.

As of right now the Cardinals, Browns, Ravens and Dolphins are the interested teams.

There's not really much that interests me this offseason.

derza222
03-03-2007, 11:54 AM
I believe the Jets are interested in Porter as well, they had inquired about trading for him before he got cut.

Bengals78
03-03-2007, 01:35 PM
I've heard some scouts said he's best suited for the 4-3.

As of right now the Cardinals, Browns, Ravens and Dolphins are the interested teams.

There's not really much that interests me this offseason.

if he is best fit, maybe we should go after him

rickscott
03-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Porter has been an All-Pro as a 3-4 guy and at 30 yrs old and 255, I doubt he really has much speed on the outside anymore. I think that is crazy for anyone to suggest the guy is better suited as a 4-3 LBer. Anyway, I'm getting worried that we may lose Kelly and KK if get out to Ariz and start hearing big contract numbers. Ariz has lots to spend compared to the Bengals.

PalmerToCJ
03-03-2007, 05:42 PM
KK I don't care about so much, he's nice as a backup but I don't want him as a starter.

Kelly worries me, then we would have to spend a pick (I would think, unless Day will be our starter) on a TE and he's exactly what our offense needs out of a TE.

If KK put up decent numbers and Steinbach is successfull we might get some decent compensatory draft picks out of them... I still want to know what we get out of Kitna.

rickscott
03-04-2007, 04:20 AM
KK is versatile and although definitely no star, he is adequate which is better than alot of what's out there. I do think we need Kelly as a blocker and maybe we pick up a receiving TE later. I don't like the idea of losing several starters and only resigning a backup RB in Watson. Get Busy!!

PalmerToCJ
03-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Justin Smith's agent got 5 million a year out of a guy he represents who has 12.5 sacks in like 40 something games.

With that said, I VERY HIGHLY doubt we re-sign Justin, he'll play under the tag and either he will be allowed to walk next year or we'll tag him again.

I think the move is to buy time to see whether or not Frostee Rucker is the answer.

themaninblack
03-05-2007, 11:57 PM
sacks are the most overrated stat in all of sports. justin smith is better than dwight freeney, write it down.

PalmerToCJ
03-06-2007, 12:06 AM
sacks are the most overrated stat in all of sports. justin smith is better than dwight freeney, write it down.

For our defense... no doubt.

I really think either A. Rucker starts for us next year or B. We draft another DE early.

PalmerToCJ
03-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Via Bengals.com we've retained Reggie Kelly.

That's good, Carson loves him as do a ton of the other players by calling him their "best teammate ever". He's a damn good blocker and obviously has a big impact on team chemistry, I'm glad to see this.

Some good quotes:

“Awesome,” said quarterback Carson Palmer when told the Bengals had retained his locker mate during a dangerous game of free agency. “That’s the best thing to happen to the Bengals in a long time.”

And Palmer is a big reason why. Before the Bengals quarterback phoned him Tuesday, Kelly very well could have been headed to Oakland or Arizona.

“To be honest with you, Carson called me a few hours ago and that kind of pushed it over the top for the Bengals,” Kelly said Tuesday evening. “He told me how much they wanted me back and that went into the decision quite a bit. Carson would be a great lawyer. That was about the time I figured I was coming back.”

“I left a lot of money on the table,” Kelly said. “I gave up something, but that’s part of being a team player. I measured everything. The money, the fit. I didn’t think it was going to happen until this afternoon. Then I realized it and I hope to finish my career a Cincinnati Bengal. That would be an honor.”

The honor belongs to the Bengals. Kelly, 30, has helped anchor a ground game that produced two franchise-best seasons for running back Rudi Johnson and his 4,221 yards over the last three seasons. But as important as Kelly is in the running game, he’s as valuable in the locker room as head of the Bible study and resident spiritual leader.

Palmer, who has called Kelly the best teammate he’s ever had, is convinced Kelly could have got more. Especially from the Raiders. And the Cardinals have more than $20 million to spend in free agency while the Bengals have less than $3 million.

“I know the Raiders were pumped up about him,” Palmer said. “It’s such a big signing for us because of leadership and class and all those things he brings to the table. I mean, it’s not just a few guys that respect him. Everybody in that room respects him. And I not only respect the guy, I like him personally. He’s my (neighboring) locker mate.

Looks like we've shown some interest in Patrick Ramsey, that would be sweet.

themaninblack
03-06-2007, 11:38 PM
happy kelley is staying! what a great man to do what he just did. He's a stud no matter what anyone says.

PalmerToCJ
03-06-2007, 11:53 PM
I love all the quotes from him/Carson. That's why it bothers me when everyone acts like we're full of poor character guys when that couldn't be further from the truth.

Carson got his main guys back that he called for at the end of the season - Kelly and Watson... As long as Carson's happy I'm happy.

themaninblack
03-07-2007, 12:13 AM
ask and he shall receive.

PalmerToCJ
03-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Another good quote, so true:

"Kelly was one of the most under-rated and underappreciated players - at least by many in the media and most fans - on the Bengals' high-scoring offense. His selflessness allowed many of his stat-driven teammates to pad their numbers."

mrpotamus
03-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Shaun Smith was signed to an offer sheet by the Browns. I really hope we match that offer. He is one of our better DTs in my opinion and should get more playing time. Our run defense improved drastically when he replaced Brian Robinson in the lineup in 2005 (4.6 ypc to 3.8 ypc), but he saw limited time last season. He is young and a very good run defender that we need on this team. If we have to replace him, that is just one more area to address during the draft with the limited picks we have. It would cost a lot more to replace him than to just match the offer, if it is at all reasonable.

rickscott
03-09-2007, 04:43 PM
I like him too but it appears that with the money crunch and his play lessening as last year wore on, they won't match. They like Peko, also Fanene can play DT along with Thornton, Adams and sometimes Robinson. Apparently Cleve offered in the range of 1.5-2 mil per yr and last year we let Kevin Walter go so they may let him leave too. They may lose KK today as well.

mrpotamus
03-09-2007, 06:32 PM
This basically comes down to choosing between Smith and Thornton. If they cut Thornton, they will have plenty of money to re-sign Smith. Smith is much younger, and could be more productive. Thornton is weak against the run and does not provide much of a pass rush. Peko will surely replace him in the starting lineup, so he really doesn't add much. Also, what Thornton does can be replaced by Robinson and Fanene, whereas Smith is the only real backup at NT. If Adams were to go down or be ineffective, we would be back to where we were a few years ago with two small DTs.

PalmerToCJ
03-09-2007, 08:23 PM
I don't criticize the FO much anymore but to let Shaun Smith go would be a mistake. He's got future starter potential and I really don't see how Thornton outplays him. If we're losing KK no way we should let Smith go too.

themaninblack
03-11-2007, 12:24 AM
let thornton go! please!