PDA

View Full Version : BlindSite's Week 2 Sunday Wrap Up

BlindSite
09-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Foreword:
Though I endeavor to include all top performances and as many great plays and players each and every week, time and space means that there will be a few I miss. This is no reflection on the team or me as a fan or writer, in some cases its just unlucky they're not included. Enjoy.

Break Out Performers
Michael Bush wonít see a lot of headlines for his performance against Kansas city, due entirely to the dominant display put on by Run DMC. Bushís sixteen carries for ninety yards (5.6ypc) and a touchdown is pretty impressive for a second year running back whoís currently third on the depth chart. Sure it came against Kansas City, but itís good to see the former Louisville standout, once touted as a first round pick who ended up going in the fourth, putting his injuries behind him and playing well in the NFL.

Honorable Mention: Calvin Johnson, everyone was expecting big things from the sophomore wide out but heís already hit one third of his production last year and thatís impressive. Johnsonís game doesnít seem to have a lot of weaknesses and itís a common opinion that Receivers donít hit their potential until their third year. Consider the ineptitude in the running game, offensive line, quarterback and then the talented receiving corp and his production becomes more impressive. I wish we could see him catching passes from a top ten quarterback. Though heís an amazing weapon, part of me thinks that until thereís a new GM and HC in Detroit heíll never hit the heights heís capable of and thatís somewhat sad.

Coach losing Sleep
Jack Del Rio had to like his teamís chances heading into the 2008 season, and though its early days yet, in such a competitive division he has to be worried about the future. His quarterback has already equaled his last yearís total for interceptions and the once vaunted defense was picked apart by a player with less than 16 games played in his career. Not only that but the Jacksonville backfield, considered one of the best in the NFL failed to reach one hundred yards rushing in total and none of the three backs (though Jones was injured) were able to separate themselves from their counterparts and jump start the offense. Normally 0-2 isnít the end of the world, and though the Jags are still right in the mix and likely will be by the end of the season itís a big hole to fall into in one of the NFLís toughest divisions.

Honorable mentions:
Norv Turner
Mike Holmgren
Lane Kiffin

Coach sleeping Easy
Mike McCarthy will must be comfortable with his decision to hand the reigns of his team over to Aaron Rogers, in two weeks Rogers is amongst elite company in the NFL with an outstanding seventy per cent completion rate and an overall rating of 117.8. While itís flogging a dead horse to point this out with ESPNís non-stop watch, Rogers really seems to be coming into his own and just might have what it takes to lead this team to the playoffs and a division crown. On defense the team is gelling well and the defensive line, despite a few key losses appears to be picking up right where it left off in 07.

Honorable Mentions:
Bill Belichick
Mike Martz
Tom Coughlin

Player Losing Sleep
Iím going to mention two running backs here. Both Reggie Bush and Larry Johnson averaged just above or around 2 yards per carry on Sunday, facing defenses that have shown some vulnerability to a good running game. Neither player was able to get anything going and neither player lived up to their paycheck. Johnson hasnít been able to get much of a career going after two massive years behind one of the best run blocking offensive lines in NFL history and Reggie Bust Bush hasnít been able to live up to his lofty draft choice for longer than a few receptions here and there for the majority of his career. While both defenses they faced played well, neither player will be satisfied with their performance and nor should they be.

QB Watch
Jay Cutler is quietly joining the elite NFL QB class in Denver, while its really way too early to start an MVP candidate kind of discussion, with the NFLís propensity to throw the award at media darlings and quarterbacks, he seems to have the makings of an easy story to tell. A diabetic, overcoming a scary disease to lead the NFL, itís almost too Disney to believe, but it seems like thatís what is unfolding. While I agree, he fumbled today, thereís no discounting his gutsy effort to throw for four touchdowns and convert for 2 points and the win against one of the NFLís best defensive units. Right now Jay Cutler is fifth in the league for passer rating and is ahead of everyone in both yards and touchdowns. The most impressive thing that Iíve seen has been what the stats donít show, his poise, ability to read and his smart play, right now heís looking like everything Denver fans have been missing since John Elway left town.

Honorable Mention:
Philip Rivers
Kurt Warner
Jason Campbell

Rookies of the week
J-Stewartís 77 yards and 2 TDs helped Carolina to a win on a day where they could otherwise get absolutely nothing going on offense.

Chris Johnson had another big day for Tennessee allowing Jeff Fisher to give Kerry Collinsí some much needed support on offense.

Darren McFadden 21 carries for 160+ yards and a score the majority of which came in one half of football.

John Carlson stepped up big time for a talentless Seattle offense today and was always open when Hasselbeck most needed a target.

Antoine Cason is so far, my defensive rookie of the year. Last week he broke up passes and forced a game changing fumble in the fourth quarter and this week it was a valuable interception, Quentin Jammer, I hope youíre looking over your shoulder.

Homer Corner
See title before complaining
Thomas Davis is having a strong start, last week breaking through the line and harassing LT, this week forcing a fumble and stopping Chicagoís final drive on 4th down. Todayís game was extremely ugly until John Stewart ran the ball, heís looking like the future of this franchise. While as I mentioned, it wasnít pretty, as it stands, Carolina just won two games that I was called a homer for suggesting theyíd split and thatís without their best weapon. Minnesota will be angry and hungry after two straight losses, but Steve Smith without doubt will be hoping to make it three, itís shaping up to be a fun season and two wins out of three will be a great result for the tougher part of the schedule. Also, Iíd like to thank Lance Briggs for being a dirt bag who took a cheap and late shot on Jake Delhomme at the end of a slide (note, Delhomme was sliding when Briggs left his feet). Without that hit the team wouldnít have found some fire and rallied like they did.

TitleTown088
09-15-2008, 01:02 AM
No coach that lost Tom Brady for the year isn't losing sleep.

Also, i know you mentioned Rodgers with the MM comment, but you gotta mention him under the "QB watch" with a performance like that.

BlindSite
09-15-2008, 01:04 AM
I mentioned Jay Cutler instead, he had a better performance against a better team. It was a good game he had, but it was only Detroit, either way, I've got a list of players I make sure to update on every week. He's on it so if he keeps it up he'll get his own spot.

yourfavestoner
09-15-2008, 01:07 AM
Losing four of your top six offensive linemen in less than a week will cause your running game to stutter. Until we have a real receiver, teams are going to load up to stop Fred and Mojo.

You're right about the defense, though. It's not good enough to carry this team on its back anymore, although we've definitely played good enough defensively to win both games. There has just been no help from the offense whatsoever.

umphrey
09-15-2008, 01:08 AM
Rookies of the week

Jordyzzzzzzzzzz!!!1!1

TitleTown088
09-15-2008, 01:19 AM
I mentioned Jay Cutler instead, he had a better performance against a better team. It was a good game he had, but it was only Detroit, either way, I've got a list of players I make sure to update on every week. He's on it so if he keeps it up he'll get his own spot.

Yes Cutler was warranted, but you didn't even give my newest obsession a honorable mention. That be what I was nit picking about.

Menardo75
09-15-2008, 01:21 AM
Foreword:
Though I endeavor to include all top performances and as many great plays and players each and every week, time and space means that there will be a few I miss. This is no reflection on the team or me as a fan or writer, in some cases its just unlucky they're not included. Enjoy.

Break Out Performers
Michael Bush wonít see a lot of headlines for his performance against Kansas city, due entirely to the dominant display put on by Run DMC. Bushís sixteen carries for ninety yards (5.6ypc) and a touchdown is pretty impressive for a second year running back whoís currently third on the depth chart. Sure it came against Kansas City, but itís good to see the former Louisville standout, once touted as a first round pick who ended up going in the fourth, putting his injuries behind him and playing well in the NFL.

Honorable Mention: Calvin Johnson, everyone was expecting big things from the sophomore wide out but heís already hit one third of his production last year and thatís impressive. Johnsonís game doesnít seem to have a lot of weaknesses and itís a common opinion that Receivers donít hit their potential until their third year. Consider the ineptitude in the running game, offensive line, quarterback and then the talented receiving corp and his production becomes more impressive. I wish we could see him catching passes from a top ten quarterback. Though heís an amazing weapon, part of me thinks that until thereís a new GM and HC in Detroit heíll never hit the heights heís capable of and thatís somewhat sad.

Coach losing Sleep
Jack Del Rio had to like his teamís chances heading into the 2008 season, and though its early days yet, in such a competitive division he has to be worried about the future. His quarterback has already equaled his last yearís total for interceptions and the once vaunted defense was picked apart by a player with less than 16 games played in his career. Not only that but the Jacksonville backfield, considered one of the best in the NFL failed to reach one hundred yards rushing in total and none of the three backs (though Jones was injured) were able to separate themselves from their counterparts and jump start the offense. Normally 0-2 isnít the end of the world, and though the Jags are still right in the mix and likely will be by the end of the season itís a big hole to fall into in one of the NFLís toughest divisions.

Honorable mentions:
Norv Turner
Mike Holmgren
Lane Kiffin

Coach sleeping Easy
Mike McCarthy will must be comfortable with his decision to hand the reigns of his team over to Aaron Rogers, in two weeks Rogers is amongst elite company in the NFL with an outstanding seventy per cent completion rate and an overall rating of 117.8. While itís flogging a dead horse to point this out with ESPNís non-stop watch, Rogers really seems to be coming into his own and just might have what it takes to lead this team to the playoffs and a division crown. On defense the team is gelling well and the defensive line, despite a few key losses appears to be picking up right where it left off in 07.

Honorable Mentions:
Bill Belichick
Mike Martz
Tom Coughlin

Player Losing Sleep
Iím going to mention two running backs here. Both Reggie Bush and Larry Johnson averaged just above or around 2 yards per carry on Sunday, facing defenses that have shown some vulnerability to a good running game. Neither player was able to get anything going and neither player lived up to their paycheck. Johnson hasnít been able to get much of a career going after two massive years behind one of the best run blocking offensive lines in NFL history and Reggie Bust Bush hasnít been able to live up to his lofty draft choice for longer than a few receptions here and there for the majority of his career. While both defenses they faced played well, neither player will be satisfied with their performance and nor should they be.

QB Watch
Jay Cutler is quietly joining the elite NFL QB class in Denver, while its really way too early to start an MVP candidate kind of discussion, with the NFLís propensity to throw the award at media darlings and quarterbacks, he seems to have the makings of an easy story to tell. A diabetic, overcoming a scary disease to lead the NFL, itís almost too Disney to believe, but it seems like thatís what is unfolding. While I agree, he fumbled today, thereís no discounting his gutsy effort to throw for four touchdowns and convert for 2 points and the win against one of the NFLís best defensive units. Right now Jay Cutler is fifth in the league for passer rating and is ahead of everyone in both yards and touchdowns. The most impressive thing that Iíve seen has been what the stats donít show, his poise, ability to read and his smart play, right now heís looking like everything Denver fans have been missing since John Elway left town.

Honorable Mention:
Philip Rivers
Kurt Warner
Jason Campbell

Rookies of the week
J-Stewartís 77 yards and 2 TDs helped Carolina to a win on a day where they could otherwise get absolutely nothing going on offense.

Chris Johnson had another big day for Tennessee allowing Jeff Fisher to give Kerry Collinsí some much needed support on offense.

Darren McFadden 21 carries for 160+ yards and a score the majority of which came in one half of football.

John Carlson stepped up big time for a talentless Seattle offense today and was always open when Hasselbeck most needed a target.

Antoine Cason is so far, my defensive rookie of the year. Last week he broke up passes and forced a game changing fumble in the fourth quarter and this week it was a valuable interception, Quentin Jammer, I hope youíre looking over your shoulder.

Homer Corner
See title before complaining
Thomas Davis is having a strong start, last week breaking through the line and harassing LT, this week forcing a fumble and stopping Chicagoís final drive on 4th down. Todayís game was extremely ugly until John Stewart ran the ball, heís looking like the future of this franchise. While as I mentioned, it wasnít pretty, as it stands, Carolina just won two games that I was called a homer for suggesting theyíd split and thatís without their best weapon. Minnesota will be angry and hungry after two straight losses, but Steve Smith without doubt will be hoping to make it three, itís shaping up to be a fun season and two wins out of three will be a great result for the tougher part of the schedule. Also, Iíd like to thank Lance Briggs for being a dirt bag who took a cheap and late shot on Jake Delhomme at the end of a slide (note, Delhomme was sliding when Briggs left his feet). Without that hit the team wouldnít have found some fire and rallied like they did.

No J.T. O'Sullivan in consideration for breakout performer?

Burns336
09-15-2008, 01:41 AM
Not sure if Jammer should be the starting SD corner looking over his shoulder after today....Cro was burnt like toast. Had 3 (or was it 4?) penalties and was raped with a sand paper condom by Brandon Marshall.

However, neither one of the charger corners need to look over their back. Cason isn't there to replace anyone, he's just there because you need at least 3 good cb's these days.

niel89
09-15-2008, 02:01 AM
Not sure if Jammer should be the starting SD corner looking over his shoulder after today....Cro was burnt like toast. Had 3 (or was it 4?) penalties and was raped with a sand paper condom by Brandon Marshall.

However, neither one of the charger corners need to look over their back. Cason isn't there to replace anyone, he's just there because you need at least 3 good cb's these days.

cro was getting abused all game long.

diabsoule
09-15-2008, 02:29 AM
At the rate things are going, Carolina is going to win the NFC South.

d34ng3l021
09-15-2008, 03:22 AM
They will get demolished by the Falcons. Don't worry. We got your backs, Saints and Bucs.

Cribbs>Hester
09-15-2008, 03:35 AM
At the rate things are going, Carolina is going to win the NFC South.

Not the NFC South, but the whole shabang; 19 straight 4th quarter come from behind wins!!!

BlindSite
09-15-2008, 03:36 AM
No J.T. O'Sullivan in consideration for breakout performer?

I considered him for a long time, but I really didn't think he was lights out today. Good, probably deserved it more than bush, but it's a pretty QB heavy piece anyway. He's on my radar/

Gay Ork Wang
09-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Foreword:
Also, I’d like to thank Lance Briggs for being a dirt bag who took a cheap and late shot on Jake Delhomme at the end of a slide (note, Delhomme was sliding when Briggs left his feet). Without that hit the team wouldn’t have found some fire and rallied like they did.
Briggs didnt get a late hit...Jake was sliding to late and he was already tackling

CJSchneider
09-15-2008, 08:11 AM
I'd have to say that both Del Rio and Turner were up all night drinking warm milk watching re-runs of "I Love Lucy".

LonghornsLegend
09-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Brandon Marshall is a monster...This should quiet down the talk of Cromartie being a top 5 corner which some people do actually believe, I think he was open every time he ran a route, let alone the amount of penalties he racked up.

bored of education
09-15-2008, 08:28 AM
The Chiefs are terrible. That is all I got to say. Oh, Cutlerz MVPz. I still have Cutlerection from that final drive. Elwayesque, yes I said it.

bigbluedefense
09-15-2008, 08:29 AM
I wanted Antoine Cason so bad :( I was probably his biggest fan before the draft. I can't complain about Phillips though, he's been a stud so far, and I have a feeling he's going to establish himself as a stud and potential DROY.

I can't stand Reggie Bush. Not only is he a terrible RB, but the guy does nothing other than return a punt for a TD, and has the balls to showboat about it. In his mind, he still thinks he's the man, when he's not. He's not nearly as good as he was hyped up to be, and while he's doing better than last year, is clearly at the very least, a disappointment as far as expectations go. He'll never be a good RB, his WR numbers are overinflated by a scheme that tries its hardest to get the ball in his hands, he's just not a very good player.

How about that chargers defense huh? I guess they miss Shawne Merriman? Who wouldve thunk it? According to Merriman haters, he's "zomg a product of the schemez! he comes unblocked half the time!"

Also, I was never a big fan of the Jaguars bandwagon. Even prior to the oline issues, I saw no reason why they warranted so much offseason hype.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Can't forget about 7th round rookie Chris Horton. He had to have been the defensive rookie of the week. 2 INT's, 1 fumble recovery. His INT appeared to seal the game but when NO got the ball back it was his 3rd down tackle that saved the game. As for Bush, the Skins at times struggle with physical running, but guys like Bush who try to bounce out everything will get stuck because of our pursuit to the ball. I would have been really nervous in this game if Deuce was healthy because he'd probably be ripping off 5 ypc.

bigbluedefense
09-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Can't forget about 7th round rookie Chris Horton. He had to have been the defensive rookie of the week. 2 INT's, 1 fumble recovery. His INT appeared to seal the game but when NO got the ball back it was his 3rd down tackle that saved the game. As for Bush, the Skins at times struggle with physical running, but guys like Bush who try to bounce out everything will get stuck because of our pursuit to the ball. I would have been really nervous in this game if Deuce was healthy because he'd probably be ripping off 5 ypc.

How is McIntosh looking so far? He was beasting it before his knee injury last year.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Last week I was thinking that the surgery had changed him and he had completely lost that burst he had before, but after yesterday's day game I think that maybe last week was just rust, or hesitancy to go all out after basically not playing in a real game in like 8 months. Yesterday he looked as sharp as ever, dropped back in coverage well and was there to chase down Reggie Bush and get in on every tackle. He's not where he was last year prior to injury but I think he is getting there. Gives me hope that he can still be a great NFL linebacker. The guy actually in the LB corps who impressed me the most was HB Blades who started in place of Marcus Washington. Last year he excited me a lot in preseason and special teams. I was real excited about his potential being taught by London Fletcher, and I still think he could be the next London Fletcher in the middle when he retires. But the thing that has shocked me throughout his NFL career and starting yesterday is his ability to play OLB. For a guy labeled too short and too slow he just is there to make every tackle no matter what position he plays, and held his own in coverage against Shockey. Coming in I thought he was a strictly MLB prospect who was probably going to be too slow and too much of a liability in coverage but the past two years he has been the top backup at all LB positions. The guy is a gamer. He might not ever get recognition in his career, but he flat out makes tackles.

eaglesalltheway
09-15-2008, 09:18 AM
I wanted Antoine Cason so bad :( I was probably his biggest fan before the draft. I can't complain about Phillips though, he's been a stud so far, and I have a feeling he's going to establish himself as a stud and potential DROY.

I can't stand Reggie Bush. Not only is he a terrible RB, but the guy does nothing other than return a punt for a TD, and has the balls to showboat about it. In his mind, he still thinks he's the man, when he's not. He's not nearly as good as he was hyped up to be, and while he's doing better than last year, is clearly at the very least, a disappointment as far as expectations go. He'll never be a good RB, his WR numbers are overinflated by a scheme that tries its hardest to get the ball in his hands, he's just not a very good player.

Also, I was never on the Jacksonville bandwagon. Even without the injuries to their oline, i didn't think they'd get it done this year. I see no reason why they received so much offseason hype.

How about that chargers defense huh? I guess they miss Shawne Merriman? Who wouldve thunk it? According to Merriman haters, he's "zomg a product of the schemez! he comes unblocked half the time!"

Also, I was never a big fan of the Jaguars bandwagon. Even prior to the oline issues, I saw no reason why they warranted so much offseason hype.

Wow, you really weren't a big fan of the Jags were you BBD?;) haha.

bigbluedefense
09-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Wow, you really weren't a big fan of the Jags were you BBD?;) haha.

haha. that was an editing mistake, i thought i didn't write it the first time so i wrote it again :) i'll fix that now.

Last week I was thinking that the surgery had changed him and he had completely lost that burst he had before, but after yesterday's day game I think that maybe last week was just rust, or hesitancy to go all out after basically not playing in a real game in like 8 months. Yesterday he looked as sharp as ever, dropped back in coverage well and was there to chase down Reggie Bush and get in on every tackle. He's not where he was last year prior to injury but I think he is getting there. Gives me hope that he can still be a great NFL linebacker. The guy actually in the LB corps who impressed me the most was HB Blades who started in place of Marcus Washington. Last year he excited me a lot in preseason and special teams. I was real excited about his potential being taught by London Fletcher, and I still think he could be the next London Fletcher in the middle when he retires. But the thing that has shocked me throughout his NFL career and starting yesterday is his ability to play OLB. For a guy labeled too short and too slow he just is there to make every tackle no matter what position he plays, and held his own in coverage against Shockey. Coming in I thought he was a strictly MLB prospect who was probably going to be too slow and too much of a liability in coverage but the past two years he has been the top backup at all LB positions. The guy is a gamer. He might not ever get recognition in his career, but he flat out makes tackles.

Yeah, it will take a couple more weeks before he gets back to it 100%. But it sounds good so far. Im also a big Blades fan. I was impressed with him every time he stepped on the field. He'll be solid in the middle when Fletcher hangs it up.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-15-2008, 09:45 AM
For an Undrafted Rookie he was a definite gem. We got Dallas Sartz in the middle of the draft last year but Blades clearly beat him out for the job. I think the Redskins are testament to how great the NFC East is. We are clearly the weakest team in the division but we still could compete with almost any team. We will probably end up around 7-9, but if that is the worst a division has, that's pretty good. This weekend will be a real test for us though, after the show Warner/Boldin/Fitz put on it will be a true test to see how good our secondary is , as the Cardinals have to be in the conversation for best passing game in the NFL. Landry though has been a monster center fielder having to cover the entire field. I'm just worried about the Big Fitz and Boldin out working Carlos/Shawn/ and Smoot physically.

Jughead10
09-15-2008, 09:56 AM
A shame Justin Tuck was not mentioned in this thread until now.

iowatreat54
09-15-2008, 10:00 AM
if you really think that Briggs is a "dirtbag" and was thinking to himself "hey, I'm going to try and hit the QB because he will prolly slide, so I'll leave my feet a millisecond after he slides" then you honestly should stop posting about football

TitleTown088
09-15-2008, 10:14 AM

I concur, add Charles Woodson to that list, he nasty.

A Perfect Score
09-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Just another few things Id like to chime in on...

-As far as Cromartie is concerned...well, I hate to say I told you so. All you people who had him in your top 5 NFL CB's probably had Deltha Oneal in your Top 5 NFL CB's a few years back as well. For future reference, INT =/= Good CB. I have no doubt that someday Cromartie will be one of the best CB's in the league, but as of now, he relies heavily on his athleticism and his technique still needs alot of work. Marshall abused him yesterday.

- I watched the Minny/Indy game, and I have a few impressions to share. First off, I would like to say the most impressive player that game was by far Chad Greenway. He was all over the field, making plays, tackles, and showing he deserved to be a first roudner a few years ago. He looked damn good. Also, I think he kind of gets lost in the shuffle, but Antoine Winfield is a damn fine CB. He hits like a LB and while I have seen him get burned in the past, he is a solid cover corner who might be the most complete CB in the league.

- What can I say about Adrian Peterson? Well, the announcers said it best yesterday. Everytime AD touched the ball, the play ended with the announcers saying "Peterson, still on his feet..." He simply never gets negative yardage, unlike some other hightly touted RB prospect in recent memory...*cough Reggie cough

- Justin Tuck is an animal

- Mike Bush and DMac will be a scary RB combo for years to come...oh wait, its the raiders never mind.

Geo
09-15-2008, 10:43 AM
What can I say about Adrian Peterson? Well, the announcers said it best yesterday. Everytime AD touched the ball, the play ended with the announcers saying "Peterson, still on his feet..." He simply never gets negative yardage, unlike some other hightly touted RB prospect in recent memory...*cough Reggie cough
Bush and Peterson are two different runners.

And who has scored two touchdowns in two games, helping his team win the first game and almost winning the second game? That's right, Bush. For crying out loud, you Bush haters are unreal.

You don't understand the reality of the Saints. Just because they played the Redskins yesterday doesn't mean their running game can take advantage of that match-up like many other teams could. They don't have the personnel to do that, unfortunately for them. Look at the other Saints runningbacks.

Cripes, get a clue.

eaglesalltheway
09-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Bush and Peterson are two different runners.

And who has scored two touchdowns in two games, helping his team win the first game and almost winning the second game? That's right, Bush. For crying out loud, you Bush haters are unreal.

You don't understand the reality of the Saints. Just because they played the Redskins yesterday doesn't mean their running game can take advantage of that match-up like many other teams could. They don't have the personnel to do that, unfortunately for them. Look at the other Saints runningbacks.

Cripes, get a clue.

But what he said is right though. Reggie tends to "dance" too much and as a result, will have runs that lose yardage. I do agree that becaus eof how the Saints offense works it isn't suited for Reggie Bush as a runner. That goes to Deuce, and Reggie will be most successful in his role as a receiving threat and a guy who occasionally gets some carries.

iowatreat54
09-15-2008, 10:50 AM
But what he said is right though. Reggie tends to "dance" too much and as a result, will have runs that lose yardage. I do agree that becaus eof how the Saints offense works it isn't suited for Reggie Bush as a runner. That goes to Deuce, and Reggie will be most successful in his role as a receiving threat and a guy who occasionally gets some carries.

but just the same, the Saints offense is conducive to Bush as the slot back/WR he has been for them, whereas he might not have had that advantage in offenses where he would be used more as a RB

Jughead10
09-15-2008, 10:52 AM
but just the same, the Saints offense is conducive to Bush as the slot back/WR he has been for them, whereas he might not have had that advantage in offenses where he would be used more as a RB

No matter how Bush is used, or how he isn't used, the bottom line is he has been a dissapointment. He was a Heisman trophy winner and the 2nd overall pick in the draft. The Saints are creative in the way they use him. But is he that much more of an upgrade as say Darren Sproles if he was in that Saints offense?

Geo
09-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Saints' run-blocking isn't anything to write home about, which is why they need a bruiser (like Brandon Jacobs) to move ahead and hopefully get 4 yards. I've been saying that for a while, that type of back would work better in Payton's scheme and that he's not using Bush properly. They don't give him stretch plays, one-cut running opportunities, or draw runs where Brees doesn't telegraph the damn thing from the snap of the ball. Pull a guard in front of him around a tackle, for crying out loud.

And let him run some pass routes past the LOS, instead of behind it. It's a shame none of this can come to pass with Payton at the helm.

eaglesalltheway
09-15-2008, 10:53 AM

Exactly, that what I said. I was just trying to say that APS wasn't wrong about Bush as a runner. He "dances" too much and hesitates when holes open, which result in negative yardage sometimes. And I am not a Bush Basher either. It is just how he is as a player.

iowatreat54
09-15-2008, 10:54 AM
No matter how Bush is used, or how he isn't used, the bottom line is he has been a dissapointment. He was a Heisman trophy winner and the 2nd overall pick in the draft. The Saints are creative in the way they use him. But is he that much more of an upgrade as say Darren Sproles if he was in that Saints offense?

not at all, and I agree he has been a huge disappointment...just on the bright side, rather than being a complete failure as a true RB in a traditional offense, Bush at least has been a good asset in his role in the passing game rather than nothing at all, was my only point

eaglesalltheway
09-15-2008, 11:02 AM
not at all, and I agree he has been a huge disappointment...just on the bright side, rather than being a complete failure as a true RB in a traditional offense, Bush at least has been a good asset in his role in the passing game rather than nothing at all, was my only point

Exactly, that's exactly my viewpoint on him.

Xenos
09-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Foreword:

Rookies of the week

Dude, Jammer has been awesome this year. In fact, I wish the Chargers had him follow Marshall around instead of just guarding whoever was on his side of the line. It's Cro who has been having a bad year so far.

Xenos
09-15-2008, 12:03 PM

What do you think of Rivers and Cutler this year?

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 12:06 PM

Seriously, a lot of Charger fans and people on this board are giving Cromartie and Jammer grief...they had a bad game for sure, but sorry you can't expect anyone in this league to cover Brandon Marshall for over ten seconds with Jay Cutler throwing him the ball. Without Merriman the Chargers are getting absolutely zero push in the pocket, and rewatching the footage, it looks like they're not even trying.

Basileus777
09-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Quentin Jammer is still the Chargers best corner. Jammer and Philips are the only Charger defenders who shouldn't be embarrassed after the first two weeks. Cason isn't going to take his job.

As great as Cromartie's athleticism and play making abilities are, he still has a ways to go in terms of tackling and coverage. He has so much potential, but he isn't quite there yet.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Quentin Jammer is still the Chargers best corner. Jammer and Philips are the only Charger defenders who shouldn't be embarrassed after the first two weeks. Cason isn't going to take his job.

As great as Cromartie's athleticism and play making abilities are, he still has a ways to go in terms of tackling and coverage. He has so much potential, but he isn't quite there yet.

If anyone is in danger of losing their job, it's Ted Cottrell. I've never been a coach but I've played and watched my whole life, and I've picked up a few things like...

Don't call freaking zone defense on 3rd and short.

When a guy has 8 catches on you in the first half, make an ajustment. Maybe even double him.

When the QB has ten seconds to throw, dial up some blitzes (to be fair, he finally started to do this in the second half. It still wasn't very effective.)

When your ILBs are getting trampled and you have depth, use it.

When you're 400 pounds, stop eating cheeseburgers.

Teach your guys to wrap up! Chargers easily lead the league in yards picked up after missed tackles.

And finally: When they hit the game "tying" TD pass on you, and then go for two, and GET IT, on the SAME PLAY, kill yourself.

MetSox17
09-15-2008, 12:43 PM

Who in here honestly thought that Reggie Bush was going to be a running back like most others? It's ridiculous to even be comparing Peterson to Bush, cause they're completely different players. It's like comparing Carson Palmer or Ben Roethlisberger to Michael Vick. No where near the same type of players, even though they play the same position. One has all the prototypical tools you'd want in that position, and the other has crazy athleticism, which you can use in many different ways.

Bush, in my opinion, has not been disappointing. His numbers his rookie year were very good, and while he regressed slightly last year, i think that was more of the offense depending on him for a lot more. His rookie year, he wasn't asked to come in and be great. Last year everyone expected him to part the red sea. This year, he's off to a great start again. I told a buddy of mine, "as long as he gets 100 YFS a game, he's doing his team good". So far, he's done that, while also adding a punt return for TD.

No more Peterson comparisons, please. They're no where near being the same type of players.

A Perfect Score
09-15-2008, 12:53 PM
my biggest complaint about Reggie Bush, at the moment, is that the Saints do need a RB. Whether you like it or not, when he was drafted, it was expected that he was going to be able to run between the tackles. Maybe not in the same manner that Peterson is going to run between the tackles, but he is a RUNNING BACK. Yes, he is an offensive weapon. Yes, he is electric in space, has crazy athleticism, and will most likely do most of his damage recieveing, but that said, he needs to be able to run the ball.

Look at backs like Marshall Faulk or Brian Westbrook. Both are or were crazy athletic and used in ways that were unstereotypical to the RB position. But when push comes to shove, they can run inside and get 3 tough yards. Which is something that, at this point, Reggie Bush either cannot or he refuses to do. When Deuce McAlisters legs fall off from ACL tears (an exagerration, but still), they will need reggie to step up as a RB, and not just as a weapon.

bored of education
09-15-2008, 12:55 PM
I never expected him to run between the tackles and I think Sean Peyton knows that. I think that is all that matters.

MetSox17
09-15-2008, 01:04 PM
my biggest complaint about Reggie Bush, at the moment, is that the Saints do need a RB. Whether you like it or not, when he was drafted, it was expected that he was going to be able to run between the tackles. Maybe not in the same manner that Peterson is going to run between the tackles, but he is a RUNNING BACK. Yes, he is an offensive weapon. Yes, he is electric in space, has crazy athleticism, and will most likely do most of his damage recieveing, but that said, he needs to be able to run the ball.

Look at backs like Marshall Faulk or Brian Westbrook. Both are or were crazy athletic and used in ways that were unstereotypical to the RB position. But when push comes to shove, they can run inside and get 3 tough yards. Which is something that, at this point, Reggie Bush either cannot or he refuses to do. When Deuce McAlisters legs fall off from ACL tears (an exagerration, but still), they will need reggie to step up as a RB, and not just as a weapon.

Running backs that are tough between the tackles are a dime a freakin dozen. Reggie Bush's aren't.

Gay Ork Wang
09-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Teach your guys to wrap up! Chargers easily lead the league in yards picked up after missed tackles.

This one goes to the bears or the lions either one is horrible. The Bears D can come up with 1 great stop, and then miss 50 tackles

Burns336
09-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Seriously, a lot of Charger fans and people on this board are giving Cromartie and Jammer grief...they had a bad game for sure, but sorry you can't expect anyone in this league to cover Brandon Marshall for over ten seconds with Jay Cutler throwing him the ball. Without Merriman the Chargers are getting absolutely zero push in the pocket, and rewatching the footage, it looks like they're not even trying.

It didn't take him 8 seconds to burn cromartie to the back right corner of the endzone.

I figured -- Cro on Marshall - no way cutler throws to him. Instead he shoulder fakes to the middle and drills the ball right over cro's head for a nice td.

Menardo75
09-15-2008, 01:40 PM

Tuck was very impressive yes. He might be able to make it was an every down player lol.

bigbluedefense
09-15-2008, 01:53 PM

I think Justin Tuck and Mario Williams might be the 2 best DEs in the league. I think Mario Williams is the best, but Tuck just might be #2 on that list.

Its too early to say that yet though.

eaglesalltheway
09-15-2008, 01:55 PM
I think Justin Tuck and Mario Williams might be the 2 best DEs in the league. I think Mario Williams is the best, but Tuck just might be #2 on that list.

Its too early to say that yet though.

He certainly has the potential as it stands right now to be great. He is balnced and strong. I really like the guy. He is He-Man!

bigbluedefense
09-15-2008, 01:56 PM
As for Reggie Bush, come on...please.

The guy was supposed to be a "sure thing" and without question the #1 pick in the draft right? He was supposed to be this dynamic explosive player right? The next Marshall Faulk? That was the comparison prior to the draft.

Well, where is it? He can't run for his life, his passes are overinflated by a scheme that force feeds him the rock, he's just not very good. He's the most overhhyped scatback the game has ever seen. Thats what Reggie Bush is. Period.

Chris Johnson in 2 games has shown me more "game changing" ability than Reggie Bush has in 2+ years. I don't see how you can't call him a bust, but at the very least, its in my eyes undebatable that he's a disappointment.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 01:57 PM
It didn't take him 8 seconds to burn cromartie to the back right corner of the endzone.

I figured -- Cro on Marshall - no way cutler throws to him. Instead he shoulder fakes to the middle and drills the ball right over cro's head for a nice td.

Yeah, I don't think Cromartie expected it either. That was a great throw, I'm officially on Cutler's jock as much as anyone else. Cro admittedly didn't bring his A-game. I still think much more blame is on the front 7 than the secondary. It's not even close IMO.

eaglesalltheway
09-15-2008, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't say he is a bust because he still contributes to the offense. But he is a major disapointment. I remember a lot of Westbrook comparisons as well, and he isn' approaching Westy either.

bigbluedefense
09-15-2008, 01:59 PM
What do you think of Rivers and Cutler this year?

Ive said this since each of their rookie years and I still stand by this comment.

For Rivers, Ive had the qbs in that draft class rated in this order

1. Eli
2. Rivers
3. Ben

with the mention that all 3 are going to be incredible qbs, just that when the dust settles they will be ranked in that order, but all 3 will be great.

As for Jay Cutler, Ive always been a huge fan and think he'll be a franchise qb along with the big 3 from that draft class as the future qbs of the NFL. Jay Cutler is the only qb id consider (emphasis on consider) trading Eli for, and that says a lot coming from me.

Theyre both studs.

21ST
09-15-2008, 03:04 PM

I aint get to see the game yet how did laron look

yourfavestoner
09-15-2008, 04:00 PM

The guy was supposed to be a "sure thing" and without question the #1 pick in the draft right? He was supposed to be this dynamic explosive player right? The next Marshall Faulk? That was the comparison prior to the draft.

Well, where is it? He can't run for his life, his passes are overinflated by a scheme that force feeds him the rock, he's just not very good. He's the most overhhyped scatback the game has ever seen. Thats what Reggie Bush is. Period.

Chris Johnson in 2 games has shown me more "game changing" ability than Reggie Bush has in 2+ years. I don't see how you can't call him a bust, but at the very least, its in my eyes undebatable that he's a disappointment.

Imagine if Mario's impact with the Texans was similar to Bush's on the Saints; like if he was a solid guy against the run who was good for 5-7 sacks a year. People would still be crucifying the Texans for taking him. Bush was the second overall pick. He's has not lived up to that pick, at the position that is supposed to be the easiest for a young guy to transition into. People are still way too big of apologists for him. He's getting a pass because he's not completely ******* terrible. He can catch swing passes and that's about it.

There's a number third down type backs in the league that have shown more game changing ability than Reggie Bush already. Deangelo Williams, Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones-Drew, Ahmad Bradshaw...the list goes on and on.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Weighing in on the Bush situation:

I'm sorry Reggie but you are what you are. I'm glad he's helping the team to some victories and has proven to be a player you'd want on your squad, but here in year 3 there's no doubt anymore that he won't be as good as advertised.

I'm the biggest Reggie homer/apologist around and got to see him live a few times and I've never seen a more brilliant year in college football than the year he picked up the Heisman. His game just doesn't translate I suppose.

It's sad that he lives right next door to Chris Paul, and that's the entire situation in a nutshell.

Burns336
09-15-2008, 05:09 PM
I dont understand why the saints don't just make reggie into wes welker. 100% full time slot receiver. Pierre Thomas and Aaron Stecker are both better RB's. The only time I would use him out of the backfield is on screens/swing passes and like the broncos and pats use Royal/Welker when they send them in motion for a quick out.

MetSox17
09-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Weighing in on the Bush situation:

I'm sorry Reggie but you are what you are. I'm glad he's helping the team to some victories and has proven to be a player you'd want on your squad, but here in year 3 there's no doubt anymore that he won't be as good as advertised.

I'm the biggest Reggie homer/apologist around and got to see him live a few times and I've never seen a more brilliant year in college football than the year he picked up the Heisman. His game just doesn't translate I suppose.

It's sad that he lives right next door to Chris Paul, and that's the entire situation in a nutshell.

So, let's just say that he keeps averaging 100 YFS per game (which is in no way a daunting task), you all will STILL consider him a bust?

I don't think there's anything he can do at this point, save break a few rushing records, to convince you all otherwise. Your minds are made-up. I'd still take Reggie over Vince Young, AJ Hawk, Vernon Davis and Michael Huff (maybe, not Huff ;)).

CashmoneyDrew
09-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Cortland Finnegan is beasting early this year. Got his 3rd INT yesterday and helped shut down Carson to CJ and TJ. Hopefully people will be putting him in their top 5 corners list if he keeps this up.

bigbluedefense
09-15-2008, 05:14 PM
So, let's just say that he keeps averaging 100 YFS per game (which is in no way a daunting task), you all will STILL consider him a bust?

I don't think there's anything he can do at this point, save break a few rushing records, to convince you all otherwise. Your minds are made-up. I'd still take Reggie over Vince Young, AJ Hawk, Vernon Davis and Michael Huff (maybe, not Huff ;)).

All those guys have been disappointments as well, minus Hawk, who's a solid but not spectacular WILL, but could be a dominant MIKE if given the chance.

Id say Young, Davis, and Huff have all been busts thus far. Huff has a chance to turn it around.

bigbluedefense
09-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Imagine if Mario's impact with the Texans was similar to Bush's on the Saints; like if he was a solid guy against the run who was good for 5-7 sacks a year. People would still be crucifying the Texans for taking him. Bush was the second overall pick. He's has not lived up to that pick, at the position that is supposed to be the easiest for a young guy to transition into. People are still way too big of apologists for him. He's getting a pass because he's not completely ******* terrible. He can catch swing passes and that's about it.

There's a number third down type backs in the league that have shown more game changing ability than Reggie Bush already. Deangelo Williams, Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones-Drew, Ahmad Bradshaw...the list goes on and on.

my exact sentiments. i personally didn't think he'd suck this bad, i thought he'd be quite good honestly, but even then id take an elite DE prospect over a RB 10 out of 10 times.

Id take Chris Long over McFadden too. Yeah, I said it :)

MetSox17
09-15-2008, 05:17 PM
All those guys have been disappointments as well, minus Hawk, who's a solid but not spectacular WILL, but could be a dominant MIKE if given the chance.

Id say Young, Davis, and Huff have all been busts thus far. Huff has a chance to turn it around.

Well i meant at point of drafting. It might not mean a whole lot since our opinions are all tainted since we keep up with football, but i still would take Bush over those guys, AT THAT TIME.

bigbluedefense
09-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Well i meant at point of drafting. It might not mean a whole lot since our opinions are all tainted since we keep up with football, but i still would take Bush over those guys, AT THAT TIME.

oh definitely. me too. Minus maybe Hawk. like i said, i didn't expect him to be this bad. i thought hed be quite good honestly.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 05:21 PM
my exact sentiments. i personally didn't think he'd suck this bad, i thought he'd be quite good honestly, but even then id take an elite DE prospect over a RB 10 out of 10 times.

Id take Chris Long over McFadden too. Yeah, I said it :)

Before yesterday I'd agree with you, but watching Eric Weddle, Matt Wilhelm, and Derek Smith get destroyed on every play has convinced me that white people shouldn't play defense.

Kidding obviously. Mostly.

CashmoneyDrew
09-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Before yesterday I'd agree with you, but watching Eric Weddle, Matt Wilhelm, and Derek Smith get destroyed on every play has convinced me that white people shouldn't play defense.

There is so much fail in that statement.

Ah, you edited it.

MetSox17
09-15-2008, 05:23 PM
oh definitely. me too. Minus maybe Hawk. like i said, i didn't expect him to be this bad. i thought hed be quite good honestly.

Eh, i think LB's like that are a dime a dozen. Okay, maybe not that cheap but you know what i mean. Every year there's a Lauranitis and Maualuga. Reggie Bush's don't come every year.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 05:23 PM
There is so much fail in that statement.

Ah, you edited it.

Yeah don't worry I haven't lost it completely yet.

bigbluedefense
09-15-2008, 05:24 PM

Kidding obviously. Mostly.

haha. I liked Eric Weddle. Wanted him on the Giants badly after we passed on Nelson and Merriweather. I still like him.

And Chris Long is the man. <3

bigbluedefense
09-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Eh, i think LB's like that are a dime a dozen. Okay, maybe not that cheap but you know what i mean. Every year there's a Lauranitis and Maualuga. Reggie Bush's don't come every year.

Well, my thoughts coming into the draft were that Hawk could be the next Urlacher. And while I think Urlacher is overrated in the context of history, guys like him don't come along every year either. And an Urlacher pound for pound would have more impact on a team than an elite RB.

Im a big believer in RBC basically. I think olines are more important than stud RBs. Whereas a stud LB can make an impact regardless of the players around him.

It wouldve been a tough decision though at the time.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 05:26 PM

Fellow USC alum turned to me during the game and gave me this gem: "Man, he really puts the Lauren in Lauranitis."

Ah, comedy gold. I will now take a break to imagine Rey Rey trading in the crimson for powder blue, which, if the Chargers don't find their balls, might be a real possibility.

bigbluedefense
09-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Fellow USC alum turned to me during the game and gave me this gem: "Man, he really puts the Lauren in Lauranitis."

Ah, comedy gold. I will now take a break to imagine Rey Rey trading in the crimson for powder blue, which, if the Chargers don't find their balls, might be a real possibility.

im still pissed you guys stole Cason from us </3

although im quite happy with Phillips :)

MetSox17
09-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Well, my thoughts coming into the draft were that Hawk could be the next Urlacher. And while I think Urlacher is overrated in the context of history, guys like him don't come along every year either. And an Urlacher pound for pound would have more impact on a team than an elite RB.

Im a big believer in RBC basically. I think olines are more important than stud RBs. Whereas a stud LB can make an impact regardless of the players around him.

It wouldve been a tough decision though at the time.

Oh don't get me wrong, i posted a pretty lengthy post on my analysis on a good offensive line as well, and i too agree that RBC is best.

When it comes to LB's though, i just think they're a lot easier to find. They're basically plug n play out of college, as well.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 05:36 PM
im still pissed you guys stole Cason from us </3

although im quite happy with Phillips :)

Between a goal line stop that ended with no points, and a forced fumble in week 1, and a key INT in week 2, plus some great break ups in both, Cason might just be our defensive MVP so far. Definitely a pleasant surprise.

I neeeeeeeed Kenny Phillips though.

bigbluedefense
09-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Between a goal line stop that ended with no points, and a forced fumble in week 1, and a key INT in week 2, plus some great break ups in both, Cason might just be our defensive MVP so far. Definitely a pleasant surprise.

I neeeeeeeed Kenny Phillips though.

we'll trade you Terrell Thomas and Derrick Ward for Antoine Cason :)

thats actually a fair trade if you think about it lol. in fact, we might be giving up too much.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-15-2008, 05:44 PM
I aint get to see the game yet how did laron look

He doesn't get to make huge plays in the box like he used to because he is always the 1 deep safety, but he has been amazing in his role. He has shot down all long passes sideline to sideline. He had the biggest drive for the Redskins yesterday. In the fourth quarter he covered like 50 yards of field to knock away the pass from a wideout in endzone one on one. On the next play the crucial 3rd down, he cut in front of a slant and knocked it down. That's why we need Horton in there. With Landry so good on the backline the other safety is given the liberty to roam around in the box and make plays, Horton does that, Reed doesn't. Reed may be more solid in coverage but we need our safety to be more of a playmaker, which is Horton's specialty. Landry covers up for his weaknesses, as Horton's strengths are undeniable.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 05:47 PM
we'll trade you Terrell Thomas and Derrick Ward for Antoine Cason :)

thats actually a fair trade if you think about it lol. in fact, we might be giving up too much.

No thanks, I'll wait until Cromartie gets his head back in the game before I deal away Cason.

My favorite announcing moment of the night, courtesy of Randy Cross (paraphrase):

*Cason breaks up a pass on the goalline.
"The defender might have gotten there too early, there should have been a call, he definitely got there too early...

*replay is shown

...well that's just a great defensive play. Great play."

BlindSite
09-15-2008, 05:49 PM
What happened to that OLB who's taking over for merriman who's supposed to be "lights out" as well. Last week all the chargers homers were saying how the team shouldn't skip a beat since the guy was such a good pass rusher?

TitleTown088
09-15-2008, 05:58 PM
BBD I'm not so sure Cason would have gotten past Green bay to the Gmen anyways.

bigbluedefense
09-15-2008, 06:01 PM
BBD I'm not so sure Cason would have gotten past Green bay to the Gmen anyways.

Thats true. Im happy w/Terrell Thomas. He could be just as good as Cason if he stays healthy. He's actually a bigger, stronger, faster version of Cason. Great ball skills as well. But Cason's knack to make a play on the ball are out of this world. I liked him more than Ross coming out, and Ross is on his way to becoming a shut down CB.

I was such a huge Cason fan coming into that draft. Part of me felt that he was the best CB in the draft outside of DRC.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 06:01 PM
What happened to that OLB who's taking over for merriman who's supposed to be "lights out" as well. Last week all the chargers homers were saying how the team shouldn't skip a beat since the guy was such a good pass rusher?

Take it to the Merriman thread if you want to bash me. Clearly Tucker didn't step up like he needed to, I've already admitted it. He still has a ton of raw skills and edge speed. And I never said we wouldn't skip a beat, I said we would be noticeably worse off, although clearly I didn't anticipate massive system failure.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Thats true. Im happy w/Terrell Thomas. He could be just as good as Cason if he stays healthy. He's actually a bigger, stronger, faster version of Cason. Great ball skills as well. But Cason's knack to make a play on the ball are out of this world. I liked him more than Ross coming out, and Ross is on his way to becoming a shut down CB.

I was such a huge Cason fan coming into that draft. Part of me felt that he was the best CB in the draft outside of DRC.

DRC shot up a little too fast to be a surefire number 1 CB in the draft for me. You can't deny he's got the bloodlines though.

Thomas will be a good player for you guys, he's got the whole package and he'll put it together.

You can't argue with the Thorpe award though! Cason's a legit presence so far, possibly the only highlight of the Charger D. He was awarded player of the week for Week 1 on the official Charger site, and his goal line pick of Cutler...nifty. Pretty good for a situational nickelback.

TitleTown088
09-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Thats true. Im happy w/Terrell Thomas.

Which leads to the question... Pat Lee or Terrell Thomas?

d34ng3l021
09-15-2008, 06:33 PM
He doesn't get to make huge plays in the box like he used to because he is always the 1 deep safety, but he has been amazing in his role. He has shot down all long passes sideline to sideline. He had the biggest drive for the Redskins yesterday. In the fourth quarter he covered like 50 yards of field to knock away the pass from a wideout in endzone one on one. On the next play the crucial 3rd down, he cut in front of a slant and knocked it down. That's why we need Horton in there. With Landry so good on the backline the other safety is given the liberty to roam around in the box and make plays, Horton does that, Reed doesn't. Reed may be more solid in coverage but we need our safety to be more of a playmaker, which is Horton's specialty. Landry covers up for his weaknesses, as Horton's strengths are undeniable.

This makes me think...2 beastly safeties could do wonders for a defense. If you have a guy like Landry or Nelson or Reed covering deep sideline to sideline, you could have your SS do whatever the hell he wants. Be a constant disturbance in the box.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 06:35 PM
This makes me think...2 beastly safeties could do wonders for a defense. If you have a guy like Landry or Nelson or Reed covering deep sideline to sideline, you could have your SS do whatever the hell he wants. Be a constant disturbance in the box.

I think Snyder beat you to that thought. Unfortunately great tragedy struck.

d34ng3l021
09-15-2008, 06:42 PM
I think Snyder beat you to that thought. Unfortunately great tragedy struck.

Yeah. Taylor and Landry would have been absolutely terrifying.

But if you think about it, it makes complete sense. Safeties have not been overly valued (until recently maybe) and having 2 studs (or at least one stud) with one athletic freak playing deep and another smart safety playing close to the line would be good.

Man. I wish I was GM.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Yeah. Taylor and Landry would have been absolutely terrifying.

But if you think about it, it makes complete sense. Safeties have not been overly valued (until recently maybe) and having 2 studs (or at least one stud) with one athletic freak playing deep and another smart safety playing close to the line would be good.

Man. I wish I was GM.

I wouldn't replace your GM right now, he's doing a pretty freaking amazing job so far.

Landry and Taylor together...I know we got it for a few games, but Landry was just learning the ropes. Letting Taylor beast closer to the box professionally...omgzzzzzzz

d34ng3l021
09-15-2008, 06:49 PM
I wouldn't replace your GM right now, he's doing a pretty freaking amazing job so far.

Landry and Taylor together...I know we got it for a few games, but Landry was just learning the ropes. Letting Taylor beast closer to the box professionally...omgzzzzzzz

Yeah. I have no problems with Dmitroff. I just with I was a GM of another team. An expansion team (I wish you could do one in madden. wtf)

Landry and Taylor would be amazing together. In fact, you could probably interchange their roles because they were/are (rip) so versatile. it would throw the offenses off so much.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Yeah. I have no problems with Dmitroff. I just with I was a GM of another team. An expansion team (I wish you could do one in madden. wtf)

Landry and Taylor would be amazing together. In fact, you could probably interchange their roles because they were/are (rip) so versatile. it would throw the offenses off so much.

They definitely could have switched off roles. Pretty crazy. I wish the Charger D had one elite safety. We used to but he got too many penalties...le sigh. Rodney reminds me of my teen years, it boggles my mind that he's still playing.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Yeah it actually would have been Taylor the deep one with Landry wrecking havoc, and Landry would have been a beast at that. Sean was rediculous sideline to sideline with his speed and long strides. He played like he was 10 feet out there.

Menardo75
09-15-2008, 09:43 PM

There is a Maualuga every year, really. Who would those guys be?

yourfavestoner
09-16-2008, 12:17 AM

You and I have been saying Hawk needs to be a Mike since he was in college. Hawk at Mike and Barnett at Will would make GB's defense even more beastly.

giantsfan
09-16-2008, 12:33 AM
I'm not going to defend reggie bush as I wasn't really sure with him as a prospect, but other gangly quick receiver type running backs who've gone onto be NFL studs like Westy and Marshall started their careers slowly, reggie's been horrible so far as a runner, but he's got the ability and if all this bust talk motivates him I could still see him turning his career around and becoming a top 15 RB.

Menardo75
09-16-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm not going to defend reggie bush as I wasn't really sure with him as a prospect, but other gangly quick receiver type running backs who've gone onto be NFL studs like Westy and Marshall started their careers slowly, reggie's been horrible so far as a runner, but he's got the ability and if all this bust talk motivates him I could still see him turning his career around and becoming a top 15 RB.

I think he has improved as far as running goes. He is finding the lanes and hitting them harder. It did'nt really look like it last sunday, the Skins D did a great job against the Saints offense. Or maybe it was just the Saints playing poor both are possible.

LonghornsLegend
09-16-2008, 01:40 AM

That stood out on film about him, and had alot of us Cowboy fans begging for him if Jenkins was gone...He is a play maker, has man coverage skills, and really does have a knack for making plays, he is going to develop into a pro bowl corner I fully believe.

BlindSite
09-16-2008, 03:13 AM
After watching Jenkins today he wasn't a bad pickup either. Good depth on that cowboys unit.

Flyboy
09-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Give it up, Geo. Just give it up, bro.

bigbluedefense
09-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Which leads to the question... Pat Lee or Terrell Thomas?

Im going with Thomas. Thomas reminds me an awful lot of Cason, and he was tearing it up before getting hurt. I think Thomas will be a very good CB as well, and one of the steals of the draft.

That stood out on film about him, and had alot of us Cowboy fans begging for him if Jenkins was gone...He is a play maker, has man coverage skills, and really does have a knack for making plays, he is going to develop into a pro bowl corner I fully believe.

I remember you and me were huge on Cason. As much as I liked Jenkins, part of me liked Cason even more. But if I was in Dallas's position, id draft Jenkins too. He's going to be a good CB as well, with more speed.

You and I have been saying Hawk needs to be a Mike since he was in college. Hawk at Mike and Barnett at Will would make GB's defense even more beastly.

GB is in such a tough situation. Bc Barnett is also a PB MIKE. Hawk I think is actually better at WILL than Barnett would be. But both are MIKEs. Maybe move Barnett to SAM?

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-16-2008, 03:54 PM

Yeah, honestly. I expected him to be at least Brian Westbrook by now. And guess what. Sharing that opinion got me branded as a "hater." Someone said he would be Marshall Faulk, I say no he will not be Marshall Faulk, and again, I'm called a hater. So yes, there was a lot, a lot of hype around Reggie Bush, and he has been nothing but a big, fat failure. If you can't run in between the tackles, or at all, in this league, you are a failure at runningback. I don't give a **** if he's Jerry Rice, he is a failure at runningback.

Reggie was considered a once in a lifetime prospect at the time, yes. But he has failed to live up to those expectations. Not only is there a Reggie Bush calibre player(as in NFL player, not prospect) in every draft, there are several of them, in later rounds.

BlindSite
09-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Yeah, honestly. I expected him to be at least Brian Westbrook by now. And guess what. Sharing that opinion got me branded as a "hater." Someone said he would be Marshall Faulk, I say no he will not be Marshall Faulk, and again, I'm called a hater. So yes, there was a lot, a lot of hype around Reggie Bush, and he has been nothing but a big, fat failure. If you can't run in between the tackles, or at all, in this league, you are a failure at runningback. I don't give a **** if he's Jerry Rice, he is a failure at runningback.

Reggie was considered a once in a lifetime prospect at the time, yes. But he has failed to live up to those expectations. Not only is there a Reggie Bush calibre player(as in NFL player, not prospect) in every draft, there are several of them, in later rounds.

At the time I projected him to be a Warrick Dunn type ball runner, he's not anywhere near as confident.

Part of me thinks it has to do with his coaching though. You can't teach speed or agility and he's got that in bunches, if he was in Denver we'd probably see him in probowls and all over highlight reels ripping off massive gains behind a good ZBS. The downhill scheme of Payton needs to be altered a little bit to include some more misdirection and traps where his speed can be utilised.

I'm not a fan of Reggie, because I never saw him as becoming the world beater some did, but I think he could eventually be an elite player, what he needs though is things tailored to him, and I'm not talking about a lot of swing passes.

yourfavestoner
09-17-2008, 12:32 AM
Eh...I'm not sure a ZBS would be conducive to all the dancing that Reggie does. It's a downhill, one-cut-and-go type of scheme.

Caddy
09-17-2008, 07:11 AM

So far I've been pretty impressed with this CB class as a whole. Plenty of guys making an impact for their teams.

Flyboy
09-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Saints' run-blocking isn't anything to write home about..

This is all evident because Reggie Bush dances too much in the backfield, obviously.

bored of education
09-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Reggie Bush would def. win dancing with the stars