PDA

View Full Version : That Two Point Conversion Call: Smart or Dumb?

bored of education
09-15-2008, 09:19 AM
I think it was the smartest call I have seen in years. If you watch the previous play you can see how the middle of the field was wide open with outside man coverage. You even saw Shanny point to his eyes, as if he saw soemthing: an opening in the middle.

The threw and catch were great and it was open. A very precise throw and a very nice catch by the rookie Eddie Royal.

On the precipice of greatness, Cutler had a great drive.(I am not going to rbing up the fumble call at all, well I just did) It could be Elwayesque with the precise throws, agility, great footwork, and amazing zip on the throws.

Shanny found a gem. This decision to go for 2 proved to me that Shanny is not done.

wicket
09-15-2008, 09:21 AM
i think he just fluked there, its something you do in high school not in real life

eaglesalltheway
09-15-2008, 09:24 AM
I thought it was a great decision as well, because like the commentators said, it showed the gamesmanship for Shanny. He gave the Chargers an opportunity to win it. And now the Charger can't blame the loss solely on the calls that were missed. (Sorry to bring it up, but it is pertinent to the situation) The Chargers had the opportunity to win the game, and they didn't. It does show the confidence he has in Cutler and I tink there are great things in store for him and the offense.

drowe
09-15-2008, 09:33 AM
brilliant call. should be done more.

your defense has given up 38 points. if the game goes to OT, and ya lose the coin toss, there's a VERY good chance that ya lose the game without touching the ball. a 2 point conversion means ya have to gain 2 yards with the game on the line. and if ya don't think you can do that, then you have bigger problems with your team than what happens in OT.

Jughead10
09-15-2008, 09:44 AM
I think it was the smartest call I have seen in years. If you watch the previous play you can see how the middle of the field was wide open with outside man coverage. You even saw Shanny point to his eyes, as if he saw soemthing: an opening in the middle.

The threw and catch were great and it was open. A very precise throw and a very nice catch by the rookie Eddie Royal.

On the precipice of greatness, Cutler had a great drive.(I am not going to rbing up the fumble call at all, well I just did) It could be Elwayesque with the precise throws, agility, great footwork, and amazing zip on the throws.

Shanny found a gem. This decision to go for 2 proved to me that Shanny is not done.

Eddie Royal had two guys on his back. He made the catch, and it turned out to be a great play, but he wasn't really open. It was a ballsy move. Very risky. Something you see more on the road in college and not the NFL. Let's say he didn't make it. How many Bronco fans are freaking out?

Shanny might have felt he was playing with house money at that point. The game should have already been a Denver loss. Why not push all the chips in?

bored of education
09-15-2008, 09:49 AM
I think the anticipation of Eddie being there and open at the precise time was the greatness of the play. It was ballsy for sure. But it was a perfect execution.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Balls of steel! Talk about going all in on that play.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-15-2008, 10:13 AM
If it didn't work, we'd all be saying he's an idiot for doing it. It takes a lot, and I mean a lot, of balls to do that, and I guess it made a bit of sense(because it worked). I'm just glad we won.

P.S. We're also scoring 40 ppg :)

JK17
09-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Regardless of what I think of the game of course it was a smart call. No one's defense could stop anyone, it was essentially take a 50/50 shot at winning the coin toss and game in overtime, or go two yards for the win. With the way Cutler was playing, and the way our defense was playing, why not go for two. I don't think it has anything to do with playing "with the house's money" or w.e.

eaglesalltheway
09-15-2008, 10:18 AM
If it didn't work, we'd all be saying he's an idiot for doing it. It takes a lot, and I mean a lot, of balls to do that, and I guess it made a bit of sense(because it worked). I'm just glad we won.

P.S. We're also scoring 40 ppg :)

Even if it wouldn't have worked, I would have understood the call. Like I asaid in my post, Denver shouldn't have been in that situation, and Shanny gave the Chargers the opportunity to redeem themselves, and they failed.

P-L
09-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Conventional wisdom says that if a play works well one play it won't work well the very next play. Shanny has balls of steel.

abaddon41_80
09-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Did anyone see what Skip Bayless said on 1st and 10 this morning about Shanahan trying to give the Chargers are fair shot because he knew there were a couple of bad calls? I actually said that to a friend of mine last night but he called me crazy, though I guess if Skip Bayless says it I must be

Diehard
09-15-2008, 10:31 AM
I liked the call, even though I was nervous as hell. Our defense would've folded if we had gone to OT. Going for 2 put the ball (and destiny) in the hands of the offense... which is exactly what the Broncos need to do this year if they want to win games.

PACKmanN
09-15-2008, 10:41 AM
imo, his defense started to worry him after giving up 30 points when they were winning 21-3.

Plus they got a break on that non-fumble call and had to take advantage of it.

eaglesalltheway
09-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Is it just me or are there a lot of people who are putting the Broncos at the top of the AFC right now? I understand it, because ti does seem up for grabs righ tnow, but that defense is something to worry about. Cutler can only take them so far. They have a few young guys who could improve as the season goes on, but for the most part, they have (what looks to be) an average defnese, at best. And that doesn't bide well for deep playoff runs.

Edit: I had typed this as Pack did his, so we said the same thing.

PalmerToCJ
09-15-2008, 11:00 AM
It all depends on if it works or not lol.

The same people who praise a call like that could easily be bashing it if it didn't work.

awfullyquiet
09-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Great Idea:

They weren't supposed to be in the game at the end. The calls weren't going for them. Rivers was throwing well. Kaedings got a good leg. Why try for an OT when you know you have a better shot of winning it. It's still a 50%-50% shot to go for it or not to go for it (in theory), either you execute it or you don't. Just the same as a coin toss would be (in theory).

This took the luck out of the equation and let shanny shannify.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 11:42 AM
I respect the move; Shanny knew the game should have been over, so he went all or nothing. Ted Cottrell obviously isn't a real person, but instead a masquerading hippo, so Shanny knew he could get the conversion with the same play he had just gotten a TD with.

My other problems with this game are numerous, and really I'm just glad I was drunk as hell at a friends BBQ throughout, because I could not have taken that ass pounding sober.

illmatic74
09-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Brilliant because it worked

TimD
09-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Great call. He gave the Chargers a chance to win it even after the botched calls. It was almost professional if you think about it. He knew he shouldn't have been there and that the game was a win for the Chargers so he made them earn it. Which they did not

MetSox17
09-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Shanny gave the Chargers the opportunity to redeem themselves, and they failed.

I'm sure the Chargers getting another opportunity to redeem themselves was no where near Shannahan's mind as he made that decision. If they were, he shouldn't even be coaching. Who cares if the referees blew a call for them. You go out there, and you win the game, however you can. You don't feel sorry for the opposing team and "give them a chance".

Shannahan called for the 2pt conversion for HIS team. Not the Chargers.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm sure the Chargers getting another opportunity to redeem themselves was no where near Shannahan's mind as he made that decision. If they were, he shouldn't even be coaching. Who cares if the referees blew a call for them. You go out there, and you win the game, however you can. You don't feel sorry for the opposing team and "give them a chance".

Yeah, with the way both offenses were scoring at will, whoever won the coin toss would have won the game. He had a chance to end it, and he took it. It was good coaching and would have been good coaching even if they had missed. His team already had the ball...why wait and hope you win the toss?

KCJ58
09-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Denver should not have gotten that touchdown, Chargers won that game, Broncos got a lucky call

vidae
09-15-2008, 01:42 PM
It seems smart because it worked but I don't think it's a very good idea in general.

Yeah, the Broncos won and the Chargers lost but like it was stated before, if they went for it and missed it, EVERYONE would be screaming about how you always take the extra point and play for OT. It's the smart play.

Just because it worked doesn't mean it was a good idea, imo. Was a pretty insane game though. Cutler is the truth!

eaglesalltheway
09-15-2008, 01:45 PM

I actually was going to mention that as well, because he wouldn't want his team to have peole telling them they didn't deserve that win. now that they got that 2 pt conversion, you can make the argument that they earned it.

bigbluedefense
09-15-2008, 01:45 PM
It was a ballsy move that paid off. It wasn't the right move though.

But thats why Mike Shannahan is Mike Shannahan, and we're just a bunch of nobodies talking about football on a forum.

Menardo75
09-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Yeah depends on the flow of the game. The way Denver was playing probably not a bad call.

nrk
09-15-2008, 01:50 PM
It was a ballsy move that paid off. It wasn't the right move though.

But thats why Mike Shannahan is Mike Shannahan, and we're just a bunch of nobodies talking about football on a forum.

I don't think anyone is going to say it's a dumb move, but I agree I think it wasn't the right move.

MetSox17
09-15-2008, 01:57 PM
I actually was going to mention that as well, because he wouldn't want his team to have peole telling them they didn't deserve that win. now that they got that 2 pt conversion, you can make the argument that they earned it.

I can see what you're saying, but to say or think that that was going through Shannahan's mind as he made that call is a little silly.

eaglesalltheway
09-15-2008, 02:08 PM
I can see what you're saying, but to say or think that that was going through Shannahan's mind as he made that call is a little silly.

You never know with Shanahan. It seems he is thinking about everything at once. I truyly wouldn't surprise me if he was thinking about it either, or both ways.

bored of education
09-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Shanny proved to me he is still the best play caller in the game.

Gatz
09-15-2008, 02:14 PM
ummmm.....

farfromforgotten
09-15-2008, 02:25 PM
This is an easy question.

If the play works - the coach is a genius. If the play fails - what the hell was he thinking? Fire him!!!

You see this sort of thing every year. On ESPN they will praise moves like this that work. In a week or two when another coach tries it, they will say it was a terrible call.

bored of education
09-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Shanny new it was gonna wrok. He say that type of coverage on the previous play and new it was gonna work!

shanny for MVP!

PalmerToCJ
09-15-2008, 02:35 PM
I will say, given the circumstances this wasn't the worst time to do it. I mean considering Rivers had gone off, Sproles had already returned one. Anytime there's a lot of scoring going on it's better, IMO, to risk on a two point conversion.

But if you're at home, it's say 17-16 or something and your defense is doing its job... It's a bad idea to me, you gotta put faith in your team to win it for you where their defense wasn't setting the world on fire yesterday.

Bruce
09-15-2008, 02:39 PM
"if it works, it's a good call. If it doesn't, it's a bad call"-Brina Billick. Man he's a good announcer too. Someone with footbal knowledge.

kmartin575
09-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I liked the call, even though I was nervous as hell. Our defense would've folded if we had gone to OT. Going for 2 put the ball (and destiny) in the hands of the offense... which is exactly what the Broncos need to do this year if they want to win games.

You mean put the ball (and destiny) in the hands of the refs.

scottyboy
09-15-2008, 04:48 PM
i think he just fluked there, its something you do in high school not in real life

high school isn't real life? lol

and Shanny is awesome. My aunt was at the pro bowl a couple of years ago and she fell down(got knocked over by a wave) and he helped her up. He's awesome.

oh, and the call ruled too, I've always like Shanny

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 04:56 PM
"if it works, it's a good call. If it doesn't, it's a bad call"-Brina Billick. Man he's a good announcer too. Someone with footbal knowledge.

This sig is pretty awesome I must admit.

BlindSite
09-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Its good because Denver won the game, it was cool to see, it was a great call.

It was bad because, 2-point conversions are only good 38-44% of the time most years and now everytime a team is down by 7 and they score a TD moronic fans who happened to hear it worked for Denver are going to be screaming for it and the media is going to scream for the head of any decent coach who goes for 1, ties, then loses in overtime.

Personally I'm more for the conservative play.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 05:59 PM
any broncos fan who would've even started to think it was the wrong call if we'd missed is certifiable and probably wasn't watching our defense. if we kick the extra point we have literally a 50/50 chance of winning. our defense had zero chance of stopping anyone and that's assuming that we didn't just give up another kick return for a touchdown. the 2pt conversion was, as far as i'm concerned, the ONLY call he could've made there.

I'm with you here, there's no debate it was the right call even if they hadn't gotten it.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-15-2008, 06:01 PM
I liked the decision to go for it having all that momentum, but I thought the play call was bad. They got lucky Cutler was able to sqweek that ball in, but if you are going to go for it, you better have a better play call than that.

farfromforgotten
09-15-2008, 06:51 PM
if we kick the extra point we have literally a 50/50 chance of winning.

It was bad because, 2-point conversions are only good 38-44% of the time

I'm no genius, but where does the better percentage chance lie? Neither team was really doing anything to stop the other team. Good for the Broncos, it worked, they won.

That doesnt mean that it was the right call. Two point conversions are hard to come by. Though, I will admit, I would rather have my team lose with the ball in their hands than to have the other team ram it down your throat again.

CC.SD
09-15-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm no genius, but where does the better percentage chance lie? Neither team was really doing anything to stop the other team. Good for the Broncos, it worked, they won.

That doesnt mean that it was the right call. Two point conversions are hard to come by. Though, I will admit, I would rather have my team lose with the ball in their hands than to have the other team ram it down your throat again.

I think you have to throw out the odds when the other team has literally yet to stop a crucial pass the entire game.

bored of education
09-15-2008, 08:04 PM
that was quite snarky njx. :)

Shiver
09-17-2008, 06:34 PM
It was colossally stupid. Shannahan would have been eviscerated had they not converted it. He is lucky, he went all in and won against the odds.

Caddy
09-17-2008, 06:58 PM
I remember Chucky did the same thing a few years back against the Skins. Bucs down by 1 I believe, time had expired and he decided to run it up the gut with Alstott; FOUL. Play is restarted and you'd figure he'd just kick the XP and go to extra time, but no. Chucky pounds it straight up the middle again with the A-Train for the win.

Good times.

iBoldin
09-17-2008, 06:58 PM
It was a ballsy move, but something you don't see very much anymore. Classic Shanahan. I really like the Broncos this year, and in large part I think it's been about Shanny coming back strong after a couple of fails the past few years.

awfullyquiet
09-17-2008, 07:05 PM
i think van pelt said it best.

if your name wasn't carved in the door, you wouldn't do that.

TheBuffaloBills
09-17-2008, 07:27 PM
It was a great call IMO. It was ballsy to go for it in the first place, but to pass it, that must require some real cahuna's. So many things could go wrong with a pass on the 2 yard line. If I was playing madden I would have done the qb sneak or even better the glitchy FB dive that guarntees you 8 yards.

aNYtitan
09-17-2008, 07:30 PM
I think it was a great call based on what occurred throughout the game. Denver was torching their secondary and San Diego just couldn't stop them if they wanted to. Great call, and great execution, wish there were more plays like that in the NFL, but there just aren't enough head coaches that would risk a win like that. Too bad for San Diego that Denver should never have gotten the chance to go for 2.