PDA

View Full Version : Belicheck brilliant???

wicket
09-15-2008, 09:30 AM
You lose your league mvp in the first game of the season. Your backup is a guy is a guy who last played a televised game when we was about ten, and it was peewie league baseball!!!! One would think you'd be f***ed if that would happen to you. However i watched the entire pats game yesterday against a proper jets team and the jets were never in the game. Is it luck or is it just the quality of belicheck that he can make his team so adaptable that a guy with no experience whatsoever can jump in and look like an above average league qb. I was really surprised because moss wasnt putting in any effort but cassel was just plainly and simply good.

Gay Ork Wang
09-15-2008, 09:32 AM
idk what i saw is e.g. Cassel just drop the ball off to Welker who ran through a couple of players. I think the really damage will be shown down the line. Its gonna get harder and harder for Cassel to play and once teams have a real gameplan against him, he wont be the one that u expect to make plays

bored of education
09-15-2008, 09:33 AM
More like elementary. Dumb down an offense so a kid can't make mistakes. Big deal. Next.

MetSox17
09-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Lets wait a second before you praise Belicheat as a genius over winning against the Jets. I thought it would be a closer game than it was, but i guess the Jets aren't that good a team. I still don't see them doing much in the playoffs versus the top teams, once they get rolling.

bigbluedefense
09-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Its how the team is built. Bellichick has an amazing team, loaded with talent. But Cassel's issues will show up sooner or later. You can't screen pass and run on teams every week and expect to win every time.

I think that defense has been underrated for awhile now too. They still have a very good defense.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-15-2008, 09:51 AM
This is not a new QB. This is someone who has been in the system for awhile. Granted he hasn't started, but he still knows the playbook and has been getting reps for years now. So I am not suprised as I would be if they got a QB off the street, and he did well. This is how the AR, Romo's, and others get made. You have a guy sitting and developing, and worse comes to worse, if he doesn't become a starter, he still knows the system down perfectly and when called upon can contribute.

P-L
09-15-2008, 10:01 AM
I would judge Cassell based on yesterday's game. Other than that dropped pass by Moss, I don't think he threw down field all game.

NIN1984
09-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Josh McDaniels is gonna be a Head Coach.

A Perfect Score
09-15-2008, 10:08 AM
I watched most of the game, and Cassell, well solid, did nothing spectacular. Its like several of the other posters here have said, wait until teams get some game tape of him and until he is asked to do something other then dump it off to Welker to judge his overall ability. That said, he was solid yesterday and while he didnt make any mistakes, he certainly didnt win them the game.

As for Belichek, I have never been able to get an adequate read on the guy. So far as most people can tell, he is a genius. I mean, his resume speaks for itself. I think now more then ever, when he is missing his star player, we will be able to see more of what is coaching and what was Tom Brady.

Like BBD said though, I think yesterday spoke to 2 major things:

A) the Pats defense may be old, but it is still damn good

B) The Jets, even with Brett Favre, are still not there yet

That said, I dont watch alot of Pats games, but that was my impression from yesterday

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Cassell did what he had to do. Let's not forget either that Brady, when he came in, just did what he had to do at first. In all likelihood, Cassell will never be close to as good as Brady is now but there's no reason he can't be close to what Brady was his first time starting

FuzzyGopher
09-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Its how the team is built. Bellichick has an amazing team, loaded with talent. But Cassel's issues will show up sooner or later. You can't screen pass and run on teams every week and expect to win every time.

I think that defense has been underrated for awhile now too. They still have a very good defense.

Don't get me wrong I'm not comparing him to Brady, but isn't that exactly how they used Brady in his first year? Conservative game plans with screens and dump passes.

wicket
09-15-2008, 10:37 AM
My point is he plays the new qb perfectly, doesnt overextend him nor does he let him do so little that the defense gets paralysed, i have the feeling belicheck will get the maximum out of the situation, but we'll see

The New Kid
09-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Don't get me wrong I'm not comparing him to Brady, but isn't that exactly how they used Brady in his first year? Conservative game plans with screens and dump passes.

Yep, exactly. I don't understand why everyone is making a big deal about Cassel only hitting the little dump offs and check downs.

Look at just about every QB in their first/first few starts. Trent Edwards was like that, Vince Young, Tom Brady, Tony Romo....the list goes on.

Cassel will do what he can do, and BB is going to work it like that. As for the Jets, everyone jumped on the band wagon so soon. 7-9 is my prediction and 3rd in the AFC east.

eaglesalltheway
09-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Ok I'm going to go off of the title here...

For as much as I hate the Pats and Bill Belicheck, there is no doubt that he is brilliant. I bet against them last week, and I won't do it again. Beleicheck is a great coach and more. How many great, great coordinators has he had. Not only is he great at teaching and motivating his players, and all of that that goes into being a head coach. He coaches coaches!!! How many great coordinators has he had in th last few years. Those guys have all learned form him. Bellicheck is a brilliant man, and he is already making his own "coaching tree".

PACKmanN
09-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Josh McDaniels is gonna be a Head Coach.

imo this is going to test him real good, so far, i don't see anything in him that would want him as a HC for my team or for any team for that matter.

the_legend_killer
09-15-2008, 10:58 AM
More like elementary. Dumb down an offense so a kid can't make mistakes. Big deal. Next.

Can you tell Brad Childress to try that.

FuzzyGopher
09-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Or tell him to jump in front of a bus.

Jvig43
09-15-2008, 01:30 PM

Come on thats all we did for years once Brady stepped in until last season. Screen passes and short runs, then hed make the big throw when we needed it. But seriously, its one game, and idk why ppl were so strong on the jets in the first place, they didnt even beat miami by a full touchdown. yes we all love Farve but lets agree that the jets are not the team to judge cassells performance. Id say wait till san diego but their D looked weak ( dont know if thats either Denvers very talented offense or injuries.) and the colts havent looked too good either but i expect that to be turned around come November. I still think BB is a great coach, but dont praise him for this just yet. 2-0 aint nothin.

Menardo75
09-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Well he is one of the best in the business for a reason. And it is not cheating.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-15-2008, 01:46 PM
I would judge Cassell based on yesterday's game. Other than that dropped pass by Moss, I don't think he threw down field all game.

And while Moss dropped it, it wasn't a good pass.

Jvig43
09-15-2008, 01:58 PM
No but moss should of caught it. It was a duck but it wasnt uncatchable.

TimD
09-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Revis was right there. And about the Jets I think they were in the game. I mean they lost by just 9. We shanked a 31 yrd field goal and had horrible play calling when we were at the 5 so we settled for a field goal.

bigbluedefense
09-15-2008, 02:03 PM

Theres a couple of differences

1. Brady's arm >> Cassel's arm
2. While the defense is still good, its not nearly as good as the dominant unit Brady played with his first season. That Patriot defense then was incredible, now its just very good.
3. Brady had a better resume coming in. He looked better in PS, and looked good in college when getting a chance to play. Cassell on the other hand looked downright awful in PS, awful last year subbing in for Brady, and never played in college.
4. Brady did it with infinitely less talent than Cassel has on offense. Brady's offense those years was very pedestrian, Cassel inherits the greatest offense of all time. HUGE difference right there. Brady made his WRs look better than they really are. Cassel doesn't.

Can Cassell do enough to get them in the playoffs? Sure, in fact i mentioned that when Brady first went down. Can he win them a SB like Brady did? Highly unlikely. He's not Brady.

Leon Sandcastle
09-15-2008, 11:58 PM
The Jets are a average NFL team. The Patriots don't believe in Matt Cassell which is why they hid him but against better teams he's going to get eaten alive.

yourfavestoner
09-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Come on thats all we did for years once Brady stepped in until last season. Screen passes and short runs, then hed make the big throw when we needed it. But seriously, its one game, and idk why ppl were so strong on the jets in the first place, they didnt even beat miami by a full touchdown. yes we all love Farve but lets agree that the jets are not the team to judge cassells performance. Id say wait till san diego but their D looked weak ( dont know if thats either Denvers very talented offense or injuries.) and the colts havent looked too good either but i expect that to be turned around come November. I still think BB is a great coach, but dont praise him for this just yet. 2-0 aint nothin.

Speak for yourself.

Menardo75
09-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Speak for yourself.

Yeah really the man is a damn 9er killer.

steelersfan43
09-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Actually hes good at cheating..

The New Kid
09-16-2008, 11:07 AM
I dont understand why people are questioning BB, and saying that now we will find out if he is a good coach. Really???

I guess he really hasn't done enough yet.

bored of education
09-16-2008, 02:51 PM
I dont understand why people are questioning BB, and saying that now we will find out if he is a good coach. Really???

I guess he really hasn't done enough yet.
i Understand it. He has a huge blemish on his his first few years in NE and had Brady and that offense last year. before Brady he was TERRIBLE coach, PEEP HIS Record.

But he doesnt have to do much with that team. Just throw 3 yeard passes against the terrible AFC East and go .500 outside it and be in the playoffs.

Good things th Bills are actually good.

AtariBigby
01-11-2009, 03:18 PM
The only thread I could find of Belechick, so I will post it here. Maybe he's been spending a little less time at the office lately?

Belechicks Chick:

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/d77fe477-01c4-4368-a640-c898237916ef.jpg
Bill Belichick waits with his girlfriend, Linda Holliday, for the start of the BCS Championship NCAA college football game between Florida and Oklahoma in Miami on Thursday, Jan. 8, 2009. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
01-11-2009, 03:22 PM
damn BB girl is a GMILF

illmatic74
01-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Bellichick even though I hate him(Jets fan) is without a question the premier coach of this decade.

BradysKnee
01-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Bellichick is an elite coach, and has proven it many years. Anyone who says otherwise is simply wrong.

He is probably the best teaching coach in the league, while not likely the best motivator.

Babylon
01-11-2009, 04:39 PM
The only thread I could find of Belechick, so I will post it here. Maybe he's been spending a little less time at the office lately?

Belechicks Chick:

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/d77fe477-01c4-4368-a640-c898237916ef.jpg
Bill Belichick waits with his girlfriend, Linda Holliday, for the start of the BCS Championship NCAA college football game between Florida and Oklahoma in Miami on Thursday, Jan. 8, 2009. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky

The perks of being an NFL head coach, this guy couldnt get a date on match.com if he were some working stiff.

bored of education
01-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Bellichick is an elite coach, and has proven it many years. Anyone who says otherwise is simply wrong.

He is probably the best teaching coach in the league, while not likely the best motivator.

He is the best coach in the league, but has many blemishes in my eyes.

BuckNaked
01-13-2009, 11:32 AM
You can't deny that the guy is absolutely brilliant, but he does have some knocks against him that some might find it hard to overlook. There is the obvious fact that he is a raging douchemonger and the whole spygate incident is a pretty large blemish on his record.