PDA

View Full Version : Guys that had great fresh and soph years but then dissapeared.

MarioPalmer
09-15-2008, 11:16 PM
This is a different kind of thread. Its a thread of what ifs and kinda fantasy. Obviously all speculation, but I wanted to ask you guys about freshman and sophmores that had great years or showed flashes of elite skill, but then some where along the line they went the wrong direction. Whether it be because of an injury, character problems, or family issues. I want to know what you think of guys that really stood out coming out of high school and had shown flashes of first round ability, but they let it go to their head and got off on the wrong foot.

List form please, along with what team, position and a little about them. Also, add in some high profile incoming freshman that never pained out by either not making the grade or being to undiciplined to cut it on a major college program.

1. Fred Rouse (WR FSU/UTEP)- This kid was all talent and no brains. He had the college world at his finger tips and showed flashes and glimpses of Randy Moss type ability. But got way to cocky and started to believe the hype before actually accomplishing something. Was dissmissed after his freshman year and went to UTEP and played one year with no real emotion. Is now out of football.

2. Ryan Perriloux (QB LSU/Alabama St.)- All I can say is wow. This kid was on his way to stardom, but because of his imaturity and his selfishness and his ability to only care for himself he is now playing for a D-1AA school with little or no interest from the NFL faithful. This kid had it all, needed to work on his accuracy, but his arm strength and mobility is outstanding and his exciting plays were contagious to his team mates. Got with the wrong crowd and ended up pissing on countless second chances. Complete waste of unbelievable talent.

3. Callahan Bright (DT FSU)- This kid was it, he had the size of a run stopper at 6'3 315lbs. and the athleticism of a pass rusher. He was the man that FSU was going to count on for the next 4 years as their star DT following in the lines of Travis Johnson and Broderick Bunkley. This kid was hands down one of the baddest dudes coming out of high school and was instantly considered an elite talent. He is now at some Div-III school with little or no hope of ever completeing his dreams.

4. Jerrel Powe (DT Ole'Miss)- He was the drama in the bayou for the last 4 years. He never got into any trouble but he is made famous for one off the field quote by his mother, "Its not my babys fault he can't read." He was never allowed to suit up for the Rebels because of his test scores and he and his family stated that he had learning dissabilities. It took 3 years for his mother and his family to fight the NCAA regulations board in court to finally this year to let him play and fullfill his enormous frame and potential. He was considered the next Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton and Jamaal Williams. He came into college at a massive yet beastly 6'2 345lbs. In his freshman workouts with the Ole'Miss team he was destroying the starting lineup and tossing around offensive lineman like rag dolls. He was an enormous beast and the biggest and most talented recruit of Ed Orgeron's stay at Mississippi. He is finally getting on the field this year at the age of 21, and maybe still might have some passion left in his body. But being out of football for almost 4 full years is a long time to be away, but he is still young enough to make something of himself.

5. Melvin Alazea (DE Maryland/Illinios)- He was on his way to becoming the next beastly DE in the league. He had excellent size at 6'3 285lbs. and amazing athleticism to boot. He was also a mean nasty player that had the tenacity that football teams loved. But he never made it to the Terps program. Once again, another top flight athlete turned to prep school because of bad test scores and a sketchy past. After his 1 year pf prep school he landed in Ron Zook's Fighting Illini. But once again never made it to the program. He landed in jail for armed robbery in his native Washington D.C. and hasn't been heard from since. Very dissapointing to say the least.

6. Jason Gwaltney (RB West Virginia)- Probably the biggest recruit of the last decade for the Mountaineers. No kidding. This kid had the size and speed that NFL teams covet in their every down, 30 carry a game running back. At 6'1 235lbs. he was on of the top backs in the nation and I want to say a top 15 recruit. He was the total package. But once again, test scores and a lack of taking off the field life seriously he ended up having to leave WV and go to prep school. Another RB in that recruiting class had now gotten all the attention that was supposed to be for Gwaltney. Steve Slaton had staked his claim on the starting job while one of the top RB's in the country was off playing football for a no name prep school. He ended up making his comeback to WV, but never regained that aweinspiring athleticism and talent. Too much time and too much not giving a **** had ruined a once promising carreer.

7. Ahmad Brooks (MLB Virginia/Bengals) - During his freshman and sophmore year there wasn't a more dominanting college MLB in the nation. No lie. He was not only considered a first round pick, but a legit top 10 and maybe even top 5 draft pick. Al Groh raved about this kid during his freshman and sophmore years. He was the new evolution of the 3-4 ILB position. He could do it all. Run, tackle, blitz, play in coverage and had some of the best size/speed ratio in the entire nation. His size was so coveted that Groh was on record to saying that he would rave to Bill Parcells, then coach of the Dallas Cowboys about this kid he had, who by the way his dad played for Parcells in the '80's as a DT. Then he got a terrible high ankle sprain and it forced Brooks to only play for 3 full games and a couple of plays in others. His junior season, which was supposed to be his coming out party for the NFL, had turned into ruins. For the first time he was without football and started acting a fool. His team and school finally had enough and dissmissed him from school after underclassman could declare so he entered into the 2006 NFL Supplemental Draft and was selected in the 3rd round by the Bengals. The 3rd round in the SD is very high, and could be argued that he would have been picked, still with the character concerns, as high as the top 20 in that past April. Teams realized how incrediable his talent really was and they dissmissed his short commings. IN his rookie year he really showed great promise, he kept his nose clean and he was learnign and making an impact at an alarming rate. Going into his 2nd season with the Bengals he was called the starter in January of 2007. They were that impressed with him. He had a great off season and showed what many coaches and what Al Groh saw back when he was a fresh and soph back at Virginia. He played in 1 game in his 2nd year and had 6 tackles, 1 sack and 1 deflection. He really came out with a bang and was on his way to becoming a main building block for the Bengals. The he got hurt with a bad hanstring pull and once again was without football and he turned into the guy that was dismissed from school. He hit a girlfriend and had a few run ins with the law and is now so low on the depth chart that he may never get back to were he was with the Bengals.

Anybody else you guys can think of. I want guys who you thought really had it, but messed it up some how or another.

djp
09-15-2008, 11:28 PM
WR Ryan Moore, Miami

MarioPalmer
09-15-2008, 11:45 PM
WR Ryan Moore, Miami

Absolutely, give a bit of info though.

Another guy I was thinking of is:

Tommy Blake (DE TCU)- Here was a guy that after his junior year was considered a lock for a first round pick and was also considered a prototype for the 3-4 OLB position. At 6'3 255lbs. he was a beast that had it all. Great explosion, tenacity, technique, smarts, strength, I mean it all. 3-4 teams couldn't wait to get their hands on him. Then the bottom fell out to a star filled pro carreer. He became depressed and lost of emotion for the game. Teams now, wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot poll. Out of footbal and back in Texas moving on with his life.

Gary Russell (RB Minnesota)- He was to be the 3rd RB in a line of successful backs from Minnesota to make it big in the NFL. First it was Marion Barber III, then Lawrence Marony and finally Gary Russell. But the hype got to him and he was signed as a UDFA with the Steelers. At Minnesota he had the ability that could have made him a 1rst day pick. His size of 5'11 220lbs. along with his physical style of play made some scouts and GMs see a repeat of Marion Barber III, but it never came to be. Actually stopped going to school. NO reason, just stopped going and was finally dissmissed from school to where his talent and love of the game withered away into almost nothing.

Im_a_Romosexual
09-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Omar Jacobs

sodar21
09-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Those are really well written pieces. Nicely done.

MarioPalmer
09-15-2008, 11:58 PM
Thanks, I just wanted to get your guys point of views. I don't want NFL busts, I want guys that had some much potential in college then just fell apart somewhere along the lines of their college carreer.

C'mon guys, go back and look at some of your favorite college teams, and think about that one or two recruits that had the world by the grapes and then just let it all go to waste. And it doesn't have to be just bad things, it can be injuries or a death in the family, that kind of thing.

SuperKevin
09-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Well obviously Bobby Reid comes to mind. The guy was an All-American in high school and a Donovan McNabb clone. Problem was he wasn't mentally ready to deal with criticism and eventually was forced to transfer to Texas State

DHVF
09-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Wait when did Gary Russell play for some second rate D2 program? lol A lot of this seems kinda made up to fit the theme of this thread.

SuperKevin
09-16-2008, 12:09 AM
6. Jason Gwaltney (RB West Virginia)- Probably the biggest recruit of the last decade for the Mountaineers. No kidding. This kid had the size and speed that NFL teams covet in their every down, 30 carry a game running back. At 6'1 235lbs. he was on of the top backs in the nation and I want to say a top 15 recruit. He was the total package. But once again, test scores and a lack of taking off the field life seriously he ended up having to leave WV and go to prep school. Another RB in that recruiting class had now gotten all the attention that was supposed to be for Gwaltney. Steve Slaton had staked his claim on the starting job while one of the top RB's in the country was off playing football for a no name prep school. He ended up making his comeback to WV, but never regained that aweinspiring athleticism and talent. Too much time and too much not giving a **** had ruined a once promising carreer.

Jason Gwaltney update

He's now playing fullback at C.W. Post. He's played 2 games, with zero starts, and has 160 yards on 41 carries with no TDs

MarioPalmer
09-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Wait when did Gary Russell play for some second rate D2 program? lol A lot of this seems kinda made up to fit the theme of this thread.

I thought he went to D2 then made his way to the NFL, he didn't? Wait, didn't he just declare? I thought he went to D2, but no, this is not made up. I really did think he went to D2 for a year then declared. I guess I was wrong. Please, tell me what else is made up.

Another guy I thought of is:

Willie Williams (OLB Miami/Louisville)- This kid was as gifted as there was coming into a college program. Miami had no problem landing this kid who was born and bred in Miami. He had excellent size at 6'3 235lbs along with tremendous athleticism. He was a star in the making during his freshman year but the character problems started to get louder and louder every day with this kid. Countless times he had run ins with law and countless times the Hurricans gave him a 2nd chance. Then finally, with all that talent and all the that athleticism he gets dissmissed from school. This could be one of the most heartbreaking stories because this kid really did have what it takes to be great. He was giving everything and no one ever said no to him. He thought he was untouchable and began to believe that he was. After Miami he went to a junior college and put up solid stats for the minimum time he played. Some programs were still awe striken with his football ability and athleticism that he made his way to the Univeristy of Lousiville but I don't know if he ever actually played. But, either way, a kid with easy 1rst round skill and easy star potential was thrown away because of lack of focus and the ability to be influenced easily.

Cribbs>Hester
09-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Thanks, I just wanted to get your guys point of views. I don't want NFL busts, I want guys that had some much potential in college then just fell apart somewhere along the lines of their college carreer.

C'mon guys, go back and look at some of your favorite college teams, and think about that one or two recruits that had the world by the grapes and then just let it all go to waste. And it doesn't have to be just bad things, it can be injuries or a death in the family, that kind of thing.

Mike D'Andrea LB Ohio State: He didn't exactly piss away his career by being a bonehead, but injuries killed any chance he ever had to fullfill his potential to be the next great LB at Ohio State. Luckily for us A.J. Hawk came out of nowhere to fill the void.

Chad Hoobler LB Ohio State: Another potentially great and highly talked about recruit. He had anger management issues and ultimately had to transfer to Divison II Ashland University to stay out of trouble in the much larger Columbus. He suffered and injury to both knees, and his arrogant attitude led him to think he was above medical logic and he disobeyed doctors by walking without crutched too soon causing more damage. He also picked up Ultimate Fighting at a trainning facility in Ashland were his anger problems again started causing him to do more stupid things. He's been done for awhile, but the kid was an idiot pissing away all he had going for him over a freaking temper and a huge ego.

Hmmm Maurice Clarrett ring any bells!?!?!?

Vikes99ej
09-16-2008, 01:06 AM
Marcus Vick lolz

Scott Wright
09-16-2008, 01:07 AM
Willie Williams (OLB Miami/Louisville)- This kid was as gifted as there was coming into a college program. Miami had no problem landing this kid who was born and bred in Miami. He had excellent size at 6'3 235lbs along with tremendous athleticism. He was a star in the making during his freshman year but the character problems started to get louder and louder every day with this kid. Countless times he had run ins with law and countless times the Hurricans gave him a 2nd chance. Then finally, with all that talent and all the that athleticism he gets dissmissed from school. This could be one of the most heartbreaking stories because this kid really did have what it takes to be great. He was giving everything and no one ever said no to him. He thought he was untouchable and began to believe that he was. After Miami he went to a junior college and put up solid stats for the minimum time he played. Some programs were still awe striken with his football ability and athleticism that he made his way to the Univeristy of Lousiville but I don't know if he ever actually played. But, either way, a kid with easy 1rst round skill and easy star potential was thrown away because of lack of focus and the ability to be influenced easily.

Willie Williams landed at Union College in Kentucky and is actually still somewhat of a pro prospect. Potential late rounder.

Dr. Gonzo
09-16-2008, 01:08 AM
Mike Williams anyone?

Solomon
09-16-2008, 02:49 AM
This is a different kind of thread. Its a thread of what ifs and kinda fantasy. Obviously all speculation, but I wanted to ask you guys about freshman and sophmores that had great years or showed flashes of elite skill, but then some where along the line they went the wrong direction. Whether it be because of an injury, character problems, or family issues. I want to know what you think of guys that really stood out coming out of high school and had shown flashes of first round ability, but they let it go to their head and got off on the wrong foot.

List form please, along with what team, position and a little about them.

1. Fred Rouse (WR FSU/UTEP)- This kid was all talent and no brains. He had the college world at his finger tips and showed flashes and glimpses of Randy Moss type ability. But got way to cocky and started to believe the hype before actually accomplishing something. Was dissmissed after his freshman year and went to UTEP and played one year with no real emotion. Is now out of football.

2. Ryan Perriloux (QB LSU/Alabama St.)- All I can say is wow. This kid was on his way to stardom, but because of his imaturity and his selfishness and his ability to only care for himself he is now playing for a D-1AA school with little or no interest from the NFL faithful. This kid had it all, needed to work on his accuracy, but his arm strength and mobility is outstanding and his exciting plays were contagious to his team mates. Got with the wrong crowd and ended up pissing on countless second chances. Complete waste of unbelievable talent.

3. Callahan Bright (DT FSU)- This kid was it, he had the size of a run stopper at 6'3 315lbs. and the athleticism of a pass rusher. He was the man that FSU was going to count on for the next 4 years as their star DT following in the lines of Travis Johnson and Broderick Bunkley. This kid was hands down one of the baddest dudes coming out of high school and was instantly considered an elite talent. He is now at some Div-III school with little or no hope of ever completeing his dreams.

4. Jerrel Powe (DT Ole'Miss)- He was the drama in the bayou for the last 4 years. He never got into any trouble but he is made famous for one off the field quote by his mother, "Its not my babys fault he can't read." He was never allowed to suit up for the Rebels because of his test scores and he and his family stated that he had learning dissabilities. It took 3 years for his mother and his family to fight the NCAA regulations board in court to finally this year to let him play and fullfill his enormous frame and potential. He was considered the next Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton and Jamaal Williams. He came into college at a massive yet beastly 6'2 345lbs. In his freshman workouts with the Ole'Miss team he was destroying the starting lineup and tossing around offensive lineman like rag dolls. He was an enormous beast and the biggest and most talented recruit of Ed Orgeron's stay at Mississippi. He is finally getting on the field this year at the age of 21, and maybe still might have some passion left in his body. But being out of football for almost 4 full years is a long time to be away, but he is still young enough to make something of himself.

5. Melvin Alazea (DE Maryland/Illinios)- He was on his way to becoming the next beastly DE in the league. He had excellent size at 6'3 285lbs. and amazing athleticism to boot. He was also a mean nasty player that had the tenacity that football teams loved. But he never made it to the Terps program. Once again, another top flight athlete turned to prep school because of bad test scores and a sketchy past. After his 1 year pf prep school he landed in Ron Zook's Fighting Illini. But once again never made it to the program. He landed in jail for armed robbery in his native Washington D.C. and hasn't been heard from since. Very dissapointing to say the least.

7. Ahmad Brooks (MLB Virginia/Bengals) - During his freshman and sophmore year there wasn't a more dominanting college MLB in the nation. No lie. He was not only considered a first round pick, but a legit top 10 and maybe even top 5 draft pick. Al Groh raved about this kid during his freshman and sophmore years. He was the new evolution of the 3-4 ILB position. He could do it all. Run, tackle, blitz, play in coverage and had some of the best size/speed ratio in the entire nation. His size was so coveted that Groh was on record to saying that he would rave to Bill Parcells, then coach of the Dallas Cowboys about this kid he had, who by the way his dad played for Parcells in the '80's as a DT. Then he got a terrible high ankle sprain and it forced Brooks to only play for 3 full games and a couple of plays in others. His junior season, which was supposed to be his coming out party for the NFL, had turned into ruins. For the first time he was without football and started acting a fool. His team and school finally had enough and dissmissed him from school after underclassman could declare so he entered into the 2006 NFL Supplemental Draft and was selected in the 3rd round by the Bengals. The 3rd round in the SD is very high, and could be argued that he would have been picked, still with the character concerns, as high as the top 20 in that past April. Teams realized how incrediable his talent really was and they dissmissed his short commings. IN his rookie year he really showed great promise, he kept his nose clean and he was learnign and making an impact at an alarming rate. Going into his 2nd season with the Bengals he was called the starter in January of 2007. They were that impressed with him. He had a great off season and showed what many coaches and what Al Groh saw back when he was a fresh and soph back at Virginia. He played in 1 game in his 2nd year and had 6 tackles, 1 sack and 1 deflection. He really came out with a bang and was on his way to becoming a main building block for the Bengals. The he got hurt with a bad hanstring pull and once again was without football and he turned into the guy that was dismissed from school. He hit a girlfriend and had a few run ins with the law and is now so low on the depth chart that he may never get back to were he was with the Bengals.

Anybody else you guys can think of. I want guys who you thought really had it, but messed it up some how or another.

I'm not trying to be an ass and I can tell that you put some time into these write ups but 6 of the 7 guys you mentioned did NOT have great frosh or soph years then disappeared. Most of the guys you mentioned had great HS careers and were considered top HS recruits but never really produced on the college circuit at all for various reasons.

WMD
09-16-2008, 02:51 AM
How about Quentin Moses?

KCJ58
09-16-2008, 02:52 AM
Sammie Stroughter

Ozzy
09-16-2008, 06:58 AM
Gary Russell (RB Minnesota)- He was to be the 3rd RB in a line of successful backs from Minnesota to make it big in the NFL. First it was Marion Barber III, then Lawrence Marony and finally Gary Russell. But the hype got to him and he was signed as a UDFA with the Steelers. At Minnesota he had the ability that could have made him a 1rst day pick. His size of 5'11 220lbs. along with his physical style of play made some scouts and GMs see a repeat of Marion Barber III, but it never came to be. Actually stopped going to school. NO reason, just stopped going and was finally dissmissed from school to where his talent and love of the game withered away into almost nothing.What are you talking about? Like you said in here he is on the freaking Steelers. I say that is making it, he is on a NFL team, sure does not play a lot but he made the league and that is the goal isn't it? Sure he got kicked out of school but he still made the NFL so I say that is pretty good.

vatech=accdomination
09-16-2008, 07:35 AM
Tyrell Sutton, the RB for Northwestern. Rhett Bhomar?

jballa838
09-16-2008, 08:51 AM
Matt Grothe has gotten 0 hype this year. He hasn't disappeared but his pro prospectus has.

DoWnThEfiElD
09-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Mainly all those guys were hyped coming out of high school. They all couldn't hack it mentally. None of them really had any production to note in college, except for Perrilous and Brooks.

draftguru151
09-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Willie Williams never got into trouble at UM and he never played well here. He never started because he freelanced too much and couldn't learn the defense so he left.

jared
09-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Kyle Bell, Colorado State. Hasn't looked the same since his injury.

Babylon
09-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Kyle Bell, Colorado State. Hasn't looked the same since his injury.

Ian Campbell has sort of regressed over the last year or so wouldnt you say?

DeathbyStat
09-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Derrick Williams....best athlete in his class..hahaha

BuddyCHRIST
09-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Callahan Bright never even qualified, Rouse played in about 3 games as a freshmen. The biggest example of this is Ahmad Brooks who was one of the best LB's in the college game and looked like a elite pro prospect and fell off the map.

Matthew Jones
09-16-2008, 11:55 AM
This is an excellent topic. Jason Williams looks like he could still be a decent prospect.

Don Vito
09-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Jerrell Powe qualified to play for the first time this year, and he has seen the field a lot and looked very good. He did fall off the map for a few years but he never had the chance to show his abilities until this season.

How about Ernest Shazor from Michigan or Billy Pittman from Texas?

WCH
09-16-2008, 12:03 PM
In fairness to Ryan Perrilloux, he has been diagnosed with OCD, which if untreated, can really be absolutely debilitating. I hear people claim to be OCD just because they like to clean, and I think that this reflects a lot of fundamental misunderstandings in regards to the disease. OCD is an anxiety disorder, wherein irrational thoughts drive you to compulsive behavior in an attempt to alleviate anxiety. It's actually known to be related to schizophrenia, although the specifics of this link haven't been worked out yet.

This is a disease rooted in the biology of the brain, and it can really destroy your life. The "anxiety" can reach such a degree that it's virtually unimaginable to people who don't suffer from a mental illness.

Insanity is not the same as immaturity, and equating the two is ridiculous.

yourfavestoner
09-16-2008, 12:07 PM
In fairness to Ryan Perrilloux, he has been diagnosed with OCD, which if untreated, can really be absolutely debilitating. I hear people claim to be OCD just because they like to clean, and I think that this reflects a lot of fundamental misunderstandings in regards to the disease. OCD is an anxiety disorder, wherein irrational thoughts drive you to compulsive behavior in an attempt to alleviate anxiety. It's actually known to be related to schizophrenia, although the specifics of this link haven't been worked out yet.

This is a disease rooted in the biology of the brain, and it can really destroy your life. The "anxiety" can reach such a degree that it's virtually unimaginable to people who don't suffer from a mental illness.

Insanity is not the same as immaturity, and equating the two is ridiculous.

Playing quarterback for a prestigious Division I university isn't exactly the best way to alleviate anxiety, either.

Race for the Heisman
09-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Mitch Mustain could be on this list if he gets beat out by Corp/Barkley and his prospects could be even worse if Sanchez doesn't declare.

I don't know if you'd count Alley Broussard but he could be another candidate, as with Tyrone Prothro.

I think the lack of true impact college freshmen really limits the number of plays who could be considered for this.

Ozzy
09-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Here are a few names when I looked back at the past few drafts that stood out. Enjoy, because I sure did!

Will Derting ILB Washington State- Was a monster as a FR and SOPH, still good later on but he lost something, be it his quickness or intensity but in the end he was much worse than what he was in the start of his career.

Ronald Curry QB UNC- Yes the guy is in the NFL, but remember him as a QB his first two seasons, had so much potential to turn into something great. Still a super enough athlete to still be in the league as a WR though.

Jonathan Wells RB Ohio State- Was outstanding early on but never really seemed to get better and always kind of stayed the same.

Freddie Milons WR Alabama- The classic bust, as a freshman he lead Bama to the title in the SEC, he was a killer WR with amazing speed but never got back to that same for his entire career.

Saleem Rasheed ILB Alabama- exact thing with Milons, was amazing as a young player at Bama but never really improved enough and it is too bad because he could have been a star.

Jared Gaither OT Maryland- Other issue are there but remember when he was on top of the world as a OT prospect, now he would be lucky to ever be a starter in the NFL.

Trev Faulk ILB LSU- super player early one, still good as he got older but never good enough to be like his teammate Bradie James and get into the league and stay.

Will Overstreet DE Tennessee- Extremely hyped up DE that never really played that well on the Vols ever, was ok but way over hyped despite being great early on.

Demetrius Summers RB South Carolina- Other issues are at hand but I remember how great he looked as a FR. Was quick, made people miss and ran hard, to bad it did not turn out for him and he did not improve over time he got worse.

Marcus Houston RB Colorado/ Colorado State- Amazing as a freshman on Colorado, but never reached his hype. Was consistently down hill after his FR year. Fun runner to watch though.

Michael Munoz OT Tennessee- Has the name and background, played great early on but never had it for the NFL. Other issues outside of his playing ability occured but still a great looking prospect.

Matt Ware S UCLA- His size was impressive, wonderful prospect, and was solid all four years but never really reached his potential that he showed as this monster freshman safety.

Derek Ross CB Ohio State- Was a real gamer in the start of his career, future star. Off the field issues happened, still got a short shot at the league but overall did not work out for him.

Dave Ragone QB Louisville- Extremely hyped big QB, everyone loved his size and toughness, plus his arm strength but he never really put it together in college and obviously did not in the pros either.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Jared Gaither actually is a starter. I think Omar Jacbos is a great one. After his 04 season in which he passed for 41 TD's, 4 INT's, and 4,000 yards I was sure he was going to be a first round prospect following the steps of Big Ben. He had the size at 6-5" and the arm, only problem I had with him was his strange delivery. Andre Woodson was also a guy I had pegged as a first rounder prior to last season calling him a Jason Campbell type prospect.

CashmoneyDrew
09-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Michael Munoz OT Tennessee- Has the name and background, played great early on but never had it for the NFL. Other issues outside of his playing ability occured but still a great looking prospect.

The main reason he's not playing for someone right now is because he couldn't pass a physical. If he was healthy he'd probably be a starter or a really good backup right now.

Race for the Heisman
09-16-2008, 06:21 PM
King Dunlap?

Turtlepower
09-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Jared Gaither actually is a starter. I think Omar Jacbos is a great one. After his 04 season in which he passed for 41 TD's, 4 INT's, and 4,000 yards I was sure he was going to be a first round prospect following the steps of Big Ben. He had the size at 6-5" and the arm, only problem I had with him was his strange delivery. Andre Woodson was also a guy I had pegged as a first rounder prior to last season calling him a Jason Campbell type prospect.

I still love everyone prior to last season comparing Woodson to McNabb.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-16-2008, 06:55 PM
I still love everyone prior to last season comparing Woodson to McNabb.

McNabb could eat 5 Big Mac's every night for the next 3 years and would still be more mobile than Andre Woodson. Woodsons pocket presense was awful and had such a slow delivery. He was effective though.

Matthew Jones
09-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Playing quarterback for a prestigious Division I university isn't exactly the best way to alleviate anxiety, either.

That, or playing in the NFL.

WCH
09-16-2008, 07:29 PM
I agree. I'm not trying to write the dude a free-pass to act a fool. If I were an NFL GM, I certainly wouldn't draft the man, based on what he's shown thus far. I'm merely pointing out the fact that labeling the mentally ill as "immature" is -- frankly -- ignorant.

Ask anybody who's been mentally ill, and they'll tell you that they wouldn't hire themselves when they were at their lowest point. But, it's still highly offensive to label them as "lazy" or "immature" or some other rubbish just because they were dealt a bad hand, neurologically speaking. It really borders on bigotry.

A mentally ill person, by definition, is usually not capable of behaving in a rational manner. It's tragic, and we should all show sympathy.

Ozzy
09-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Jared Gaither actually is a starter.
Oh really! That is wonderful, great to see such a talented freak is playing. He was such a good player, wow, so big, so fast and so strong. His 40 time for a man his size was ridiculous I think it was sub 5 wasn't it like 4.9 or something. That is wonderful to see!

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-16-2008, 11:00 PM
I remember Ian Johnson.

yourfavestoner
09-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Eric Winston. He was terrible after he injured his knee. He's turned out to be a better pro than college player.

giantsfan
09-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Omar lost practically his whole offense after that sophomore season, and has proven not to be able to digest an NFL playbook, which is why he couldn't stick with pitt.

BeerBaron
09-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Omar lost practically his whole offense after that sophomore season, and has proven not to be able to digest an NFL playbook, which is why he couldn't stick with pitt.

I think Pitt was willing to still give him a chance but I'm pretty sure that was after Big Ben's hellish offseason and had the whole appendix thing right before the season too....Batch actually started their first game that year.

And I think Pitt was willing to keep him on and give him a shot but they needed to bring in a more experienced backup since Ben was out. He was cut for St. Pierre iirc...

Same thing almost happened to Dixon there this year. Batch was hurt so they brought Leftwich in. Instead of cutting Dixon, they put Batch on IR to gain a roster spot.

themaninblack
09-16-2008, 11:45 PM
BTW, Ahmad Brooks was cut by the Bengals. If I'm not mistaken he is now a 49er.

MarioPalmer
09-17-2008, 12:02 AM
What are you talking about? Like you said in here he is on the freaking Steelers. I say that is making it, he is on a NFL team, sure does not play a lot but he made the league and that is the goal isn't it? Sure he got kicked out of school but he still made the NFL so I say that is pretty good.

I know, but so is Ahmad Brooks, it isn't exactly living up to their great potential they showed early in their careers. Also, I will edit the title for incoming recruits as well. When the guys I mentioned were incoming there was alot of hype surrounding them. Thats why I put them up there. Also, with the exception of Melvin Alazae the rest had write ups after the failed college career with the some undertones as my write ups.

MarioPalmer
09-17-2008, 12:04 AM
BTW, Ahmad Brooks was cut by the Bengals. If I'm not mistaken he is now a 49er.

No kidding? This is exactly what I'm talking about. He went from a high first round prospect going into his junior, to going in the 3rd round in the SD, then moving to the top of the depth chart after his rookie season to now, being cut and playing for the 49ers. Talk about wasted talent.

MarioPalmer
09-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Very good post Ozzie, exactly what I was looking for. Anyone else that had great incoming freshman or super fresh or sophs that blew up then fizzeled within a year or so?

MarioPalmer
09-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Derrick Williams....best athlete in his class..hahaha

Derrick Williams (WR Penn State)- This kid had the potential and athleticism to be the next great DB, but somehow he just isn't made for football. He had an outstanding freshman year, but his play was purely based on athleticism and the switch to WR kinda hurt him mentaly. When he was recruited I remember the talk about how Joe Pa was turning his program around with this kid as the bench mark for upcoming recruiting classes. He still has a terrific chance of being a high pick, especially with the early success of guys like Desean Jackson, Eddie Royal and Tedd Ginn Jr, but he may never live up to his enormous athletic ability. When Penn St. switched him to WR I was so pissed because he was built perfect for the CB position. C'mon, 6'0 205lbs. speed demon that had great agility, leaping ability and the make up speed to be a clear cut #1 CB in his class, but the move I think killed him. His success is solely based on his off season workouts and what GM and coach becomes infatuated with his athletic ability.

MarioPalmer
09-17-2008, 12:20 AM
Oh really! That is wonderful, great to see such a talented freak is playing. He was such a good player, wow, so big, so fast and so strong. His 40 time for a man his size was ridiculous I think it was sub 5 wasn't it like 4.9 or something. That is wonderful to see!

Yeah, he's the future for the Ravens and protecting Joe Flacco's blind side. His athletic and pro potential was outstanding. I think his grades were the things that made him suffer in college. But he still has huge upside, thats why the Ravens didn't try to move back up and grab one of the many OTs in the April Draft.

Cribbs>Hester
09-17-2008, 02:40 AM
Oh and since your Derrick Williams post just reminded me of it I'll add Ted Ginn Jr. to Mike D'Andrea, Chad Hoobler and Maurice Clarrett.

Teddy Ginn was an all world athlete with great anticipation in the passing game. He could break on a ball from 20 yard away and break it up before the QB ever knew what happened. Watching him play in high school teams couldn't and wouldn't dare throw a ball on his side of the field let alone to his man. He was easily the best shut down prospect since Sanders and Jim Tressell lacking offensive fire power decided to waste him away as a wide reciever. Now it's far too late for him to readjust to playing corner especially in the pros. What a waste of talent IMO.

yourfavestoner
09-17-2008, 02:45 AM
Oh and since your Derrick Williams post just reminded me of it I'll add Ted Ginn Jr. to Mike D'Andrea, Chad Hoobler and Maurice Clarrett.

Teddy Ginn was an all world athlete with great anticipation in the passing game. He could break on a ball from 20 yard away and break it up before the QB ever knew what happened. Watching him play in high school teams couldn't and wouldn't dare throw a ball on his side of the field let alone to his man. He was easily the best shut down prospect since Sanders and Jim Tressell lacking offensive fire power decided to waste him away as a wide reciever. Now it's far too late for him to readjust to playing corner especially in the pros. What a waste of talent IMO.

Cribbs, you're such a negative nancy. I don't mean to be offensive, but come on. Lighten up. It's just a game.

McGahee
09-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Speaking of which, whatever happened to Antone Smith the FSU RB?

MarioPalmer
09-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Speaking of which, whatever happened to Antone Smith the FSU RB?

I think he is finally starting this year, but definitly not the major impact guy everone thought he was going to be. I remember when people thought he was the next Reggie Bush type player. WOW! what a complete waste of talent or maybe it was just all that hype and no real substance to any of it. I never really knew why he never made it. Myabe lack of skill or something, but I didn't really catch why he was never living up to his major potential.

MarioPalmer
09-17-2008, 07:28 PM

Dude, you couldn't have said it better. He and Derrick Williams were ruined in my opinion by programs that were so anemic offensively that they took two top defensive recruits and forced them to switch to a position that neither one had played before. Both IMO would have been top 10 picks and shut down CBs in the NFL. Ginn still was picked super high, but I don't ever think he will ever live up to that billing and the Dolphins better hope that Brady Quinn never ever becomes an elite franchise QB or that franchise will never hear the end of it. Also, Derrick Williams has no hope of being picked in the top 10 and probably not even in the 1rst round. Thats one of the reason why I hate the way college football is run.

bspen4
09-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Ian Campbell has sort of regressed over the last year or so wouldnt you say?

Because he switched to a 3-4 OLB last year after playing DE before that. Still All Big 12 last year

MarioPalmer
09-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Marcus Vick (QB Virginia Tech/Dolphins)- here was a great athlete coming into his Va Tech carreer and his football ability was terrific. He never had terrific size but his athletic ability coupled with his great arm strength and football IQ made him a terrific football prospect for the NFL. Sort of following in the shoes of Antuan Randle-El, Hines Ward, Drew Bennet and Matt Jones. He had potential to be a go to guy in the pros. But this kid was just completely out of his mind. I just don't understand his ego and problem. Obviously it all stems from being the late great Michael Vick's brother but seriously, come on Marcus, you do have to play football and act right. I remember hearing that when Coach Beamer went to recruit Michael Vick he and his family were living in this small lower class house and then when Beamer went to recruit Marcus that he was living in a huge million dollar property whilst driving a BMW 7 series. Two compltely situations for both Vick brothers. Marcus was undoubtly living off his brothers name in terms of who he was and is, but the talent was there, the skill and potential was there. But that night that he had that problem with that underage girl and the alchohol was the beginning of a group of mishaps that even the most screwed up Hollywood actor would be proud of. Countless run ins with the law and riding around with a gun in his 7 series became the norm for this kid. Total complete and utter clown was Marcus Vick. He was at Va Tech for 4 years but seemed to only play for less than half the time he was there. Totally pathetic for the amount of talent and skill he had. He wouldn't have been a top draft pick but a team would have certainly invested a early day 2 or late day 1 pick on him. But he is the poster boy for famous family member of a superstar and thinks that what ever applies to his brother applies to him. He did make it to the NFL playing for the Miami Dolphins as a WR and he played for them for one full year, being inactive for most of the time, but he never amounted to anything and certainly did not live up to his talent and certainly not to his "OWN" hype.

marks01234
09-18-2008, 11:19 AM
I know, but so is Ahmad Brooks, it isn't exactly living up to their great potential they showed early in their careers. Also, I will edit the title for incoming recruits as well. When the guys I mentioned were incoming there was alot of hype surrounding them. Thats why I put them up there. Also, with the exception of Melvin Alazae the rest had write ups after the failed college career with the some undertones as my write ups.

At one point, their was a thread on NFLDC debating whether Ahmad Brooks or Mario Williams was a better pro prospect.

Callahan Bright will play in the NFL. He was been absolutely dominating at Shaw unversity in North Carolina, a school that has put out NFL players before.

Woody56
09-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Amir Pinnix

Ozzy
09-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Dude, you couldn't have said it better. He and Derrick Williams were ruined in my opinion by programs that were so anemic offensively that they took two top defensive recruits and forced them to switch to a position that neither one had played before. Both IMO would have been top 10 picks and shut down CBs in the NFL. Ginn still was picked super high, but I don't ever think he will ever live up to that billing and the Dolphins better hope that Brady Quinn never ever becomes an elite franchise QB or that franchise will never hear the end of it. Also, Derrick Williams has no hope of being picked in the top 10 and probably not even in the 1rst round. Thats one of the reason why I hate the way college football is run.I am not so sure that would have worked out. In my opinion Ginn is bad as a WR in the NFL because he does not have lateral quickness, he has only straight line speed and cannot make people miss tackles in the open field which is what you have to do when you are not a jump ball receiver and also are not very strong or tough.

Now as a potential CB I do not think he could do that well because he does not have the lateral quickness and change of direction ability. Sure in high school he probably was awesome but based on what he does at WR, he does not change directions very well, and that is what CB's do all game long. Also he does not have the toughness what so ever, he is a weak football player and is not very physical.

Thus I am not sure it would have worked out for him at CB, however hard to be worse at CB in the NFL than he is at WR. Surprised he is not even a good return man, but again he cannot make people miss.

He was the reason Desean Jackson kind of dropped in the draft, however since Desean can change direction so well he is doing wonderful in the NFL when Ginn never really has.

Sniper
09-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Derrick Williams (WR Penn State)- This kid had the potential and athleticism to be the next great DB, but somehow he just isn't made for football. He had an outstanding freshman year

He did? 22 catches, 13.1 ypc, and one touchdown is outstanding? Ah, alrighty then.

He still has a terrific chance of being a high pick, especially with the early success of guys like Desean Jackson, Eddie Royal and Tedd Ginn Jr, but he may never live up to his enormous athletic ability.

I'm sure scouts are drooling over his sub 11 ypc career average. Or maybe his five receiving TDs over his career.

Sniper
09-18-2008, 12:03 PM

Charles Woodson?

DHVF
09-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Amir Pinnix
How so? His best year came in his junior season at Minnesota and overall, he was never much of a pro prospect.

MarioPalmer
09-18-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm sure scouts are drooling over his sub 11 ypc career average. Or maybe his five receiving TDs over his career.

C'mon, you know as well as I do that scouts fall in love with workout numbers and athleticism. Thats what I was going by, thats why I was saying his future contract and draft round will be determined by what he does in the off-season, now that doesn't make it right, but we can go back to players that had no business being picked high but were because of athletic potential. Thats were Derrick Williams falls in. Matt Jones, Fabian Washington, Mike Mumula, Troy Williamson...etc. I think because teams will see how fast he is, how big he is for that speed, someone will think they can coach him up and snatch him up probably around mid 2nd or early 3rd.

Fogartynyy2789
09-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Ok here's the deal with Derrick Williams. He had a good freshmen year going until an injury. He was limited in his sophomore and junior seasons because of that asshole Anthony Morelli's inability to throw the football between 10-20 yards. This year, Williams has a PR TD but has not looked spectacular.

Btw the king of this list is Jemarrio Thomas who had 1801 yards his freshmen year at North Texas to lead the country. His next three seasons he ran for 1695 yards combined.

Cribbs>Hester
09-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Charles Woodson?

You obviously never saw Ted Ginn Jr. play in high school did you? Teams simply couldn't not ever throw a single pass on his side of the field, or it was a 10% chance of TD the other way, 80% chance of turnover, and 98% chance of a deflection. He could be covering the outside reciever say on a fade route, the QB throw it to the TE running a seem patern to the inside of the field and Ginn would break on the ball to swat it away. It was ridiculous.

Fogartynyy2789
09-18-2008, 07:53 PM
The thread is guys who had great fresh and soph years and then diappeared. IDK how becoming the 9th overall pick after being named a 2nd team all-american after his JUNIOR year makes Ted Ginn a member of this list.

Steve Slaton is more deserving then Ginn to be on here.

Sniper
09-18-2008, 08:37 PM
The thread is guys who had great fresh and soph years and then diappeared. IDK how becoming the 9th overall pick after being named a 2nd team all-american after his JUNIOR year makes Ted Ginn a member of this list.

Steve Slaton is more deserving then Ginn to be on here.

Slaton got drafted. Not sure that counts either.

P-L
09-18-2008, 09:10 PM
You obviously never saw Ted Ginn Jr. play in high school did you? Teams simply couldn't not ever throw a single pass on his side of the field, or it was a 10% chance of TD the other way, 80% chance of turnover, and 98% chance of a deflection. He could be covering the outside reciever say on a fade route, the QB throw it to the TE running a seem patern to the inside of the field and Ginn would break on the ball to swat it away. It was ridiculous.
Sounds a little like Charles Woodson when he was at Michigan...

Teams didn't throw towards him and when they did, it ended up in his hands.

kwilk103
09-18-2008, 09:19 PM
gwaltney was very good the few games he played

injured his knee vs maryland and decided not to go to class or rehab

he doesnt get hurt, slaton doesnt turn out to be the player he was

he was better than slaton as a rb

Fogartynyy2789
09-18-2008, 09:45 PM
gwaltney was very good the few games he played

injured his knee vs maryland and decided not to go to class or rehab

he doesnt get hurt, slaton doesnt turn out to be the player he was

he was better than slaton as a rb

Gwaltney was the pride of Long Island hahaha, he's actually back at WVU redhsirting and taking classes after a tour at Nassau Community College and plans on playing next year. Ironically his cousin Scooter Berry was signed as an aftethought and is now playing big minutes on the D-line.

Slaton though went from being a can't miss prospect his first 2 years to being one of the biggest disappointments his junior year as White had to carry the offense a majority of the time. I'm not saying he should be on this list, I was just comparing him to Ted Ginn who has no business being on this list after a great Jr. year.

I'd put Marrio Urrutia on here, he was garnering a lot of hype after his sophmore season and slipped til the end of the 7th round based on freakish athleticism alone.

kwilk103
09-18-2008, 10:01 PM
gwaltney is not on the team

hes at a community college

Fogartynyy2789
09-18-2008, 10:07 PM
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/ncaa_blog/2008/07/jason_gwaltney_is_back_at_west.html

keylime_5
09-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Rob Rose was a beast as a true freshman and in high school. He blew up to 290, got a bad shoulder injury, lost a half a step and has been a name on the roster and nothing more since. he still has a chance to turn it around but he has been a disappointment since a strong showing at the USArmy AA Game and as a true freshman in limited time.

SuperKevin
09-18-2008, 10:13 PM
gwaltney is not on the team

hes at a community college

No. Gwaltney is at CW Post which is a D2 school

Fogartynyy2789
09-18-2008, 10:17 PM
No. Gwaltney is at CW Post which is a D2 school

Ok I just found out that Gwaltney was originally supposed to come back to WVU for this semester, but the university told him that it would be impossible for him to make up the 100 or so0 credits needed to be eligible for the 2009 season, which would be his last season of eligibility. Gwaltney is playing for post which is an upper tier D2 school and has 3 years of eligibility remaining.

MarioPalmer
09-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Gwaltney had some amazing talent. He was a huge RB recruit and some of the recruting videos I saw on scout.com were pretty impressive. His size and speed ratio was outstanding. I think he was 6'0 or 5'11 and roughly 235lbs. and was running in the 4.4 range. He was ultra productice in high school and was one of WV's biggest recruits ever.

I think he most obvious problem was his lack of work off the field in the class room. His grades and test scores were horrid, and he made that his excuse for leaving. Sad, cause Noel Devine had similiar problems coming out of high school when entering WV but he seemed to be doing just fine, so that excuse is just that, an excuse. Very sad, cause this kid has outstanding ability to be a serious pro prospect.

SuperKevin
09-18-2008, 11:28 PM
Jason Gwaltney update

He's now playing fullback at C.W. Post. He's played 2 games, with zero starts, and has 160 yards on 41 carries with no TDs

I posted this on the 1st page of this thread. His pro stock is non-existant at this moment

Hines
09-18-2008, 11:31 PM
He did? 22 catches, 13.1 ypc, and one touchdown is outstanding? Ah, alrighty then.

He got injured a few games into his frosh season.

M.O.T.H.
09-18-2008, 11:39 PM
I dont know if anyone mentioned him but, Nevada's former RB, Chance Kretschmer put together an outstanding freshman season. He was the talk of the town for a while. 1,700+ rushing yards 15 Tds as a Frosh. Wasnt a pro prospect, though.

M.O.T.H.
09-18-2008, 11:44 PM
I guess you could put Demetris Summers on here. What a loser...depenfing upon the rankings he was the 2nd/3rd highest rated RB behind Reggie Bush, had a solid start to his career before getting into his legal troubles.

Sniper
09-19-2008, 07:35 AM
He got injured a few games into his frosh season.

Yes, I'm aware. Carl Tabb's only significant contribution to the Michigan football team. That doesn't mean he had a great season.

Fogartynyy2789
09-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Yes, I'm aware. Carl Tabb's only significant contribution to the Michigan football team. That doesn't mean he had a great season.

Yea I agree he was having a decent season, w/ a big play here and there and got too much credit for a program rejuvinated by an electrifying QB and a great defense.

keylime_5
09-19-2008, 12:51 PM
I guess you could put Demetris Summers on here. What a loser...depenfing upon the rankings he was the 2nd/3rd highest rated RB behind Reggie Bush, had a solid start to his career before getting into his legal troubles.

yes definitely. He looked great as a freshman and sophomore and then vanished. I think he broke Emmitt Smith's HS rushing record coming into USC.

kwilk103
09-19-2008, 01:02 PM
pat mcafee as a kicker....soph year had longest kick in heinz field history (52 yds)

now, cant make any pressure picks

NYGibril28
09-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Jamario Thomas, RB, North Texas

Led Division I in rushing as a true freshmen in 2004. The same year Adrian Peterson was a freshmen. Was the Sun Belt's player of the year, offensive player of the year, and freshmen of the year in 2004. Fastest player ever to reach 1,000 yards rushing, doing it in just seven games. One of only three freshmen ever to surpass 1,800 yards in a season.

From that point on, he was no where to be found. Hampered by a hamstring injury his sophomore and junior years, he just wasn't the same player. Completely fell off the radar of NFL scouts.

2004: 285 rushes, 1801 yards, 17 TD
2005-2007: 382 rushes, 1695 yards, 10 TD

CashmoneyDrew
09-19-2008, 01:24 PM
A case could be made for Casey Clausen in this thread. Yes he was a tool, but he had a pretty good year for a freshman QB, and had an excellent Sophomore season that included an SEC championship game appearance and falling just shy of a National Championship appearance. Had probably his best career game in the bowl game at the end of the year against Michigan. He had the prototypical size at 6-3 225. Never followed up well on his sophomore campaign and ended up undrafted.

Fogartynyy2789
09-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Yea I mentioned Thomas earlier, he got a chance because his teammate Patrick Cobbs who led D1 in rushing the year before went down with an injury. Thomas wasn't effective as a sophomore because of the RB platoon with Cobbs. The Mean Green then overhauled the offense and Thomas faded into the depths of mediocrity.

Carlyle Holiday led Notre Dame to a New Year's Day Bowl in Ty's first season and finished his career as the number 4 wideout after Brady Quinn was brought in.

Babylon
09-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Scott had a good take on Rhett Bomar who was really good at Oklahoma before he got himself in some hot water. Now with Sam Houston he may have another chance to right the ship and have a pro career. The thing about the QB position is it takes leadership and work ethic unlike some others where i think you can get away with being a knucklehead. Sort of reminds me of Billy Joe Hobert who played with the UW huskies some years ago. Talent is probably not the issue with this guy.