PDA

View Full Version : Oher v. Monroe v. Smith: as LT prospects

bored of education
09-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Whom do you think is more geared to be a franchise LT?

BamaFalcon59
09-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Monroe is probably the best pass blocker of the bunch, Oher has the most physical ability and potential.

D-Unit
09-16-2008, 04:20 PM
I think Oher and Monroe will both be graded higher and drafted ahead of Smith. But I like Smith as the most successful NFL player. Smith is not tailor made to fit in every type of offensive system though. Don't put him in Atlanta, Green Bay or Denver. Kansas City, Philly or Dallas... ok.

BamaFalcon59
09-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Smith I forgot to comment on. Tons of physical and athletic ability there, too.

I just doubt he can keep his weight down, so I think he moves to guard.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Ciron Black>All three.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-16-2008, 06:27 PM
This was my opinion on Monroe:
(The statement I was replying to was one who said that they want their LT to be a run blocking mauler)

A LT in the NFL needs to deal with all of those 245-260 pound speed rushers who make a career purely off sacking the QB. Take it from me someone who has seen every single UVA football game the past 7 or 8 years, he is the real deal. He is athletic, a great pass blocker, as well as a good run blocker. He also has a mean streak unlike D'Brick. Monroe is one of those guys who gives you 100%, he will go to that second level and throw blocks to free up the backs. Monroe was the best lineman and arguably the best player in the nation coming out in 2005 and there has been no drop on his talent. I think he takes the positive traits from both D'Brick and Branden Albert and combines it to in my opinion be clearly the best projected pro prospect of the 3. Don't underestimate how conditioning and work ethic for him was truly accelerated by going up one on one in practice every day against guys like Chris Long and Chris Canty. Although people want to say he's like D'Brick but they are two totally different players. While both are rare atheltic specimens at the position, Monroe is a mountain of a main and has a much more physical blocking style. I mean Monroe came into UVA at 320 benching 350 pounds, while D'Brick came in as a tiny 250 who learned how the nuances of the position and how to use Finesse.

Turtlepower
09-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Andre Smith reminds me a lot of more athletic Leonard Davis.

Matthew Jones
09-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Leonard Davis works as a comparison for Smith. I could see him being a decent left tackle for a while and then playing really well at guard.

STARHEATHER
09-16-2008, 07:03 PM
ive seen all 3 this year. smith looked ok but hes hurt. ok was ok vs wake. not dominant though. monroe 2 false starts aside was pretty dominant vs usc. at this point

1. monroe
2. oher
3. smith

BamaFalcon59
09-16-2008, 07:05 PM
I don't really think of Leonard Davis as athletic. Andre Smith may be huge, but he is an athlete.

Go_Eagles77
09-16-2008, 07:12 PM
If Andre Smith plays T in the NFL he'll be solid but not anything special, if he moves to G he'll be the next Shawn Andrews.

giantsfan
09-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Smith could be a dominant tackle in the right scheme. But you've gotta be a run heavy team that likes to just over power teams in the trenches.

BamaFalcon59
09-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Like I said, Smith can do anything at tackle. Anything. But his weight will always be an issue until he considers it one.

princefielder28
09-16-2008, 07:48 PM
I like Oher and Monroe quite a bit more than Andre Smith. Oher is this year's Joe Thomas/Jake Long, a junior who stayed in school, and is at the top of the list for tackles his senior year. If I had to make a choice between the two, right now, I would go with Oher. Oher has proven his exceptional ability for a greater time and with more consistency. Monroe's potential leads me to believe that he could pass up Oher, but I want to see one hell of a year out of him and then that discussion can take place. To summarize, Oher is the more proven player at this point but you can't go wrong with either player.

Race for the Heisman
09-16-2008, 09:32 PM
I like Oher and Monroe quite a bit more than Andre Smith. Oher is this year's Joe Thomas/Jake Long, a junior who stayed in school, and is at the top of the list for tackles his senior year. If I had to make a choice between the two, right now, I would go with Oher. Oher has proven his exceptional ability for a greater time and with more consistency. Monroe's potential leads me to believe that he could pass up Oher, but I want to see one hell of a year out of him and then that discussion can take place. To summarize, Oher is the more proven player at this point but you can't go wrong with either player.

So, Oher -> Jake Long, Monroe -> Clady, Smith -> Otah?

princefielder28
09-16-2008, 09:33 PM
So, Oher -> Jake Long, Monroe -> Clady, Smith -> Otah?

it's as simple as Oher > Monroe > Smith

Race for the Heisman
09-16-2008, 09:43 PM
it's as simple as Oher > Monroe > Smith

Maybe so, but the physical parallels are interesting, too.

09-16-2008, 09:47 PM
Leonard Davis works as a comparison for Smith. I could see him being a decent left tackle for a while and then playing really well at guard.

If Andre Smith plays T in the NFL he'll be solid but not anything special, if he moves to G he'll be the next Shawn Andrews.

There's the correct comparison in the second quote. Right on.

D-Unit
09-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Ciron Black>All three.
I agree Ciron Black is lost in this discussion.

...and where have the OSU Boone lovers gone?

Race for the Heisman
09-16-2008, 10:25 PM

Let's be real, not even the most ardent OSU homer would put Boone on the same tier as the other three (alright, maybe some would, but they're easily recognizable and ignorable). Boone could be an NFL left tackle. He could be a very good one. He's more likely to follow in the footsteps of John Tait and be a very good right tackle who can fill in as a pretty good left tackle. He's been in the late first-early third discussion for a while, which is about where he belongs.

Ozzy
09-16-2008, 10:45 PM
If Andre Smith plays T in the NFL he'll be solid but not anything special, if he moves to G he'll be the next Shawn Andrews.Exactly, Andre Smith is such a powerful blocker, and yes Shawn Andrews was exactly that back in the day are Arkansas. And as great as Andrews is, I think Smith can potentially be better than him. Either way, OG or OT Andre Smith to me is the most dominating OT on this list easily. The other guys are good but Andre Smith flat out dominates people!

giantsfan
09-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Andre Smith's weight will be a minor issue but one that teams can cover up if the scheme is right. That said I like Oher and Monroe more as prospects, although Smith might actually be the best fit for my gmen, where we be in position to pick between the three.

Is Black really as overwhelming as the trio of Oher, Monroe and Smith? I mean he's a good prospect in his own right and certainly a prospect with very good potential but do people really think he has the potential and production of that trio?

SuperKevin
09-16-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm a huge Andre Smith fan. I think he's the most complete LT of the three. He reminds me a lot of Jonathan Ogden.

Menardo75
09-16-2008, 11:55 PM
Yeah I would have to take Oher. I think he has the highest ceiling.

DoWnThEfiElD
09-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Smith is very athletic, however my only problem is he lacks the elite height of a LT. I just feel if i was going to use a top 5 pick on a tackle I would want him to be 6'6" or taller. Smith is only like 6'4", which probably means he is closer to 6'3".

I still think he is a first round talent though, and no matter what could be an All-Pro guard.

Sniper
09-17-2008, 09:26 AM

Exactly my thoughts.

Bengals78
09-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Smith is a mauler. Teams are gonna love this kid. I would love to see the Bengals pick this kid up if we could. My favorite OT prospect.

Sniper
09-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Andre Smith is an absolute boss... Look at how mobile this guy is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84-MwAbj7uw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBrdA2Mon7A

king_of_all
09-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Oher or Monroe
Monroe or Oher

It is almost like saying Orlando Pace or Walter Jones; Walter Jones or Orlando Pace.

summond822
09-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Oher or Monroe
Monroe or Oher

It is almost like saying Orlando Pace or Walter Jones; Walter Jones or Orlando Pace.

I think that Jones would be preferred over Pace, even without Pace's injury concerns. (Could just be the Seahawks fan in me but I don't think so)

That said, I prefer Monroe over Oher. He has experience against Chris Long, who was as close as one gets to a proven NFL-level pass rusher in college IMO. He also kept Branden Albert inside at guard during his time there. If a man can keep a guy who is going to play LT as a rookie in the NFL out of that spot in college, I think it speaks volumes for how talented this kid is.

I really, really like Oher to, and when I say I prefer Monroe over him, it really is by only the slimmest of margins.

Turtlepower
09-17-2008, 11:10 AM
I think that Jones would be preferred over Pace, even without Pace's injury concerns. (Could just be the Seahawks fan in me but I don't think so)

That said, I prefer Monroe over Oher. He has experience against Chris Long, who was as close as one gets to a proven NFL-level pass rusher in college IMO. He also kept Branden Albert inside at guard during his time there. If a man can keep a guy who is going to play LT as a rookie in the NFL out of that spot in college, I think it speaks volumes for how talented this kid is.

I really, really like Oher to, and when I say I prefer Monroe over him, it really is by only the slimmest of margins.

Don't forget Oher has Greg Hardy who is one of the top underclassmen at DE. I still give the nod to Monroe only because he is a bit more polished.

P-L
09-17-2008, 11:59 AM
I think I like Monroe a bit more than Oher as well.

Addict
09-17-2008, 06:25 PM

hold it right there. There are no seahawks fans on these boards.

Sniper
09-17-2008, 06:47 PM

Correct. ******* impostors. Nice job calling him out on that.

summond822
09-17-2008, 06:56 PM

Last I checked there were 2 (active).

The rest of the fans have been knocked out for god knows how long just like our WR's

Cribbs>Hester
09-17-2008, 07:01 PM

There are Boone lovers on this board? hahaha He has been an overrated flop ever since he set foot in Columbus. If he is to ever succeed in the NFL it will have to be at RT on a run dominate football team. He's not very bright either.

Who the heck was loving him anyway? The K lime guy???

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Another guy who should at least be mentioned is Jason Fox.

bored of education
09-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Ciron Black is a beast as well.

Smokey Joe
09-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Monroe will likely be the safest pick of the 3, and perhaps the best. He has everything you look for in a LT and offensive lineman, IMO.

Smith, I would say is the 2nd best. He is a beast at the line, and surprisingly athletic for a man his size. However, he is better suited for either guard or RT at the next level. This is why I could see Oher going over him.

Smokey Joe
09-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Jamon Meredith, I think he can be a pro-bowl lineman. I am a big fan of his, and he can play anywhere on the line besides C.

P-L
09-18-2008, 09:29 PM
There are Boone lovers on this board? hahaha He has been an overrated flop ever since he set foot in Columbus. If he is to ever succeed in the NFL it will have to be at RT on a run dominate football team. He's not very bright either.

Who the heck was loving him anyway? The K lime guy???
I like you. It's nice a refreshing to see an unbiased Ohio State fan, who tells it like it is (other than JBond).

I don't know which guys were hyping Boone, but there were more than one who thought he'd be a top 15 pick and the #2 OT.

MarioPalmer
09-18-2008, 11:42 PM
I love Andre Smith, but I see him as the nest great OG like Steve Hutchinson or Shawn Andrews. Both can obviously play OT, but are better suited as elite OGs. I see Davis as the next elite OG that has the potential to one of the best ever.

As for Oher and Monroe. Monroe seems to be more lean and longer and a better pass blocker along with being pretty fluid and athletic which are all very good signs to becoming an elite franchise LT, reminds me alot of the way Ryan Clady was looked at last year. NOt overly physical but can adjust well and can get away with his lesser physical play with his athleticism and footwork. While Monroe is the better more athletic pass blocker, Michael Oher is the next Jonathan Ogden in terms of elite run blocker and nasty, strong pass blocker. Oher can be a frnachise LT in his first season, he won't be as impactful as Joe Thomas but he can be as effective as Ogden was early in his carreer because of his tenacity and physical play. A pure physical running offense would be the best fit for Michael Oher. Atlanta would be an ecellent fit for Oher who would be blocking for the physical running style of Michael Turner. The Steelers would be probably the best, but they won't be picking that high so Oher is out of the question.

I could see Monroe going higher because of his athleticism, but Oher might be the better pro because of his attitude and leadership abilities. Davis, might be the most athletic and have the most potential but because of his 6'4 size and his 345lbs. weight his athleticism and stregth might be better suited to be the badass pulling guard that can pave the way for a great runner. I don't see the Steelers passing on him if they have the chance, niether do the Cardinals who would love a mean, nasty , athletic and powerful guard paving the way for E.James and blocking for Leinart or well......God aweful Kurt Warner...blah...sorry, I just can't stand him.lol

MarioPalmer
09-18-2008, 11:56 PM
I also think there are some very intriguing offensive lineman after the big 3. Ciron Black , Alex Boone, Josh McNeil, Max Unger, Alex Mack, Jamon Merideth, Jason Smith, Jonthan Luigs (spelling?), Herman Johnson, Sam Young, Phil Loadholt, Adam Ulatoski, Lydon Murtha, Dace Richardson, Reggie Youngblood, Cedric Dockary , Andy Kemp, Aleksey Lanis, Joe Thomas Rafael Eubanks, Justin Boren, Antoine Caldwell, Jeremy Perry and Kraig Urbik. As you can see there are plenty of potential studs eligible for the 2009 NFL Draft.

BigBanger
09-19-2008, 01:15 AM
I've always doubted Andre Smith, but his footwork is incredible. He's probably got the quickest feet of any tackle in the draft. He is without a doubt a LT at the next level. I have drastically changed my opinion on him. I think you could make a strong argument in calling the top 3 prospects in the draft being: Andre Smith, Michael Oher, and Eugene Monroe with Smith at the top. I wouldn't be surprised to see all 3 of them go in the top 5. They're all that good. Andre Smith reminds me of Jason Peters. I like him more and more every time I see him.

eaglesalltheway
09-19-2008, 06:53 AM
I really like all of the O-line players (as a whole, not each and every one) this year, and it is great timing, because the Eagles are looking to go OL early. Right now, Monroe is my favorite, but it would kind of be like asking me to choose between my three favorite cookies, all three are great in their own right, its just they bring different things to the table. Oher is a beast, Monroes is a beast, Smith is a beast, and there are a lot of borderline beasts in this class. I can't wait to see a ton of these guys in the NFL.

Sniper
09-19-2008, 07:52 AM
I've always doubted Andre Smith, but his footwork is incredible. He's probably got the quickest feet of any tackle in the draft. He is without a doubt a LT at the next level. I have drastically changed my opinion on him. I think you could make a strong argument in calling the top 3 prospects in the draft being: Andre Smith, Michael Oher, and Eugene Monroe with Smith at the top. I wouldn't be surprised to see all 3 of them go in the top 5. They're all that good. Andre Smith reminds me of Jason Peters. I like him more and more every time I see him.

You're right. His mobility is amazing for a man his size.

SuperKevin
09-19-2008, 07:54 AM
I remember when they said Marcus McNeill couldn't play LT in the pros and all he did was go on to make the pro bowl as a rookie. Same thing is happening to Smith right now

eaglesalltheway
09-19-2008, 12:14 PM
I remember when they said Marcus McNeill couldn't play LT in the pros and all he did was go on to make the pro bowl as a rookie. Same thing is happening to Smith right now

That is actually a very good comparison, though, I think Andre Smith is a little heavier (not that it really matters) than McNeil was.