PDA

View Full Version : JDB time/Tavaris DONE/Gus

bored of education
09-16-2008, 04:17 PM
:o

Tavaris done? What next? What would be best for the organization now and future?

Dr. Gonzo
09-16-2008, 04:19 PM
JDB time will be the greatest time of my life!

MetSox17
09-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Maybe if they put Frerotte or JDB in there they might actually have the defense think they could throw the ball.

BlindSite
09-16-2008, 04:22 PM
I hope this is correct, source?

Carolina could use another W.

MetSox17
09-16-2008, 04:24 PM
I hope this is correct, source?

Carolina could use another W.
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_10470497

Addict
09-16-2008, 04:25 PM
makes sense, Tavaris hasn't looked good at all so far.

TimD
09-16-2008, 04:29 PM
not surprised. althought the vikings playcalling was poor. i understand that one of jacksons strengths is how he rolls out but you cant do that EVERY pass play.

PACKmanN
09-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Culpepper is still available, plus Garcia could come in a trade.

Addict
09-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Culpepper is still available, plus Garcia could come in a trade.

if the vikes get garcia they could really be a force. 0-2 or not.

Geo
09-16-2008, 05:13 PM
I wonder how much of the Titans' success with Kerry Collins, and planning to have Vince Young on the bench to help his development, is making the Vikings rethink some things.

giantsfan
09-16-2008, 05:14 PM
I like TJ's potential and could see him becoming a successful NFL QB but I no longer have any faith in Childress to develop an offense.

The Dynasty
09-16-2008, 05:19 PM
I think if he gives up on Tarvaris this sunday, Gus will be the one starting. JDB looked terrible in PreSeason, Yes he was playing with 3rd string but that saying comes "You got to make Chicken Salad out of Chicken ****" which he did not imo. Gus Will give us a passing game but if he gets rushed he is gonna be sacked.

bored of education
09-16-2008, 05:21 PM
I think if he gives up on Tarvaris this sunday, Gus will be the one starting. JDB looked terrible in PreSeason, Yes he was playing with 3rd string but that saying comes "You got to make Chicken Salad out of Chicken ****" which he did not imo. Gus Will give us a passing game but if he gets rushed he is gonna be sacked.

you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. chicken ****=Tavaris, chicken parmasean=JDB!!!!!!!

holt_bruce81
09-16-2008, 05:24 PM
JDB is not going to be a successful NFL Quarterback. Tavaris should remain the starter.

Addict
09-16-2008, 05:25 PM
JDB is not going to be a successful NFL Quarterback. Tavaris should remain the starter.

Yeah because Tavaris has really shown he's gonna be a succesful NFL QB.

wait, what?

holt_bruce81
09-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Yeah because Tavaris has really shown he's gonna be a succesful NFL QB.

wait, what?

Even if he hasn't, he's still going to be better than a rookie Quarterback for a team that has playoffs on their mind.

giantsfan
09-16-2008, 05:50 PM
JDB will have a major adjustment to playing against NFL caliber athletes consistently. If TJ shows more this week I understand Childress going to Gus, although personally I blame their coaching staff for the atrocious passing game and absolute lack of half time adjustments.

Dr. Gonzo
09-16-2008, 05:51 PM
JDB will have a major adjustment to playing against NFL caliber athletes consistently. If TJ shows more this week I understand Childress going to Gus, although personally I blame their coaching staff for the atrocious passing game and absolute lack of half time adjustments.

I can agre with you there. Our coaches are absolute ****. The Vikings will never win a superbowl with Brad Childress as head coach.

RaiderNation
09-16-2008, 06:00 PM
I say either trade for Garcia or see what you have in JDB.

giantsfan
09-16-2008, 06:01 PM
You guys should just trade Al Davis a conditional 7th rounder for lane kiffin and let him take over the offensive play calling right away. To quote ISAYUH "it's so crazy it just might work."

yo123
09-16-2008, 06:30 PM

I agree JDB wouldn't do any better. This year at least. But the QB should be Frerotte. At least he's capable of hitting open receivers and hopefully take a little pressure off the run game.

bearsfan_51
09-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Did I miss the part where he actually said this was going to happen? It reads like total speculation.

Menardo75
09-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Yeah I am pretty sure Gus would get the nod before JDB.

Babylon
09-16-2008, 06:40 PM
First off you dont know that JDB would do any worse or that the coaching staff wouldnt open up the playbook a bit for him. Having said that they should have gone after a Derek Anderson or a Brady Quinn in the offseason.(granted they did want Farve). I think this team is good enough to make the playoffs but wouldnt go much past the 1st round.

bantx
09-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Announcers saying Booty lol

MetSox17
09-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Did I miss the part where he actually said this was going to happen? It reads like total speculation.

Well when your coach comes out and says that whoever performs better in practice (pretty much) will lead the team, i'd say you better be worried about your job (TJack).

Turtlepower
09-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Well when your coach comes out and says that whoever performs better in practice (pretty much) will lead the team, i'd say you better be worried about your job (TJack).

Coaches say a lot of things to the media that they don't actually intend to carry out. 90% of all college coaches say that the QB job is given to the best player during the offseason while they usually have it already decided.

MetSox17
09-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Coaches say a lot of things to the media that they don't actually intend to carry out. 90% of all college coaches say that the QB job is given to the best player during the offseason while they usually have it already decided.

But how many coaches come out and say that they might change who plays quarterback during the season? NFL coaches, not college ones.

holt_bruce81
09-16-2008, 07:08 PM
I agree JDB wouldn't do any better. This year at least. But the QB should be Frerotte. At least he's capable of hitting open receivers and hopefully take a little pressure off the run game.

I'm not so sure about that, he was atrocious last year with the Rams.

7 Tds and 12 INTs in 3 games.

D-Unit
09-16-2008, 07:09 PM
JDB = Chris Weinke.

giantsfan
09-16-2008, 07:12 PM
JDB = Chris Weinke.

I disagree

Booty >>>> Weinke

So JDB wins because he's got a much cooler last name.

djp
09-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Tarvaris isn't benched yet. I do think we should look into Jeff Garcia though.

bigbluedefense
09-16-2008, 07:34 PM
I thought there was an ounce of hope that Jackson could play decent this year. I was wrong.

He's terrible. Minnesota is going no where this year.

bigbluedefense
09-16-2008, 07:35 PM
And so far that Minny defense has been overrated. 20th in the league in total defense, 24th in sacks.

Bruce Banner
09-16-2008, 07:39 PM
And so far that Minny defense has been overrated. 20th in the league in total defense, 24th in sacks.

"Paper champions"

There is much football left to play though.

bigbluedefense
09-16-2008, 07:41 PM
"Paper champions"

There is much football left to play though.

yeah. thats why im not writing them off just yet.

i did feel that the comparisons to the 2000 Ravens were ridiculous though.

this defense couldn't sniff that 2000 team's jock.

bearsfan_51
09-16-2008, 07:42 PM
I can't help but laugh at Bernard Berrian, not because he left the Bears for more money (a LOT more money), I totally get that, but because he rationalized it by saying how excited he was to play in a high-powered offense. That purchase has been a total waste of money so far.

bigbluedefense
09-16-2008, 07:46 PM
I can't help but laugh at Bernard Berrian, not because he left the Bears for more money (a LOT more money), I totally get that, but because he rationalized it by saying how excited he was to play in a high-powered offense. That purchase has been a total waste of money so far.

a WR is only as good as the qb throwing him the ball.

Unless your name is Randy Moss, TO, or Calvin Johnson aka the top elite guys.

Berrian isn't anywhere near that tier of WR, which is what makes it a waste.

PackerLegend
09-16-2008, 08:02 PM
And Booty just gets pounded.... Ya blind sided never seen it coming and (insert name) just rides Booty into the ground. Now he Pile drives Booty :D Ride that Booty woot woot

skinzzfan25
09-16-2008, 08:05 PM
All aboard the GUS BUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vatech=accdomination
09-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Fire Kevin Rodgers and let him come back to Tech so he can actually develop a dual threat talent in Tyrod Taylor.

FuzzyGopher
09-17-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm not so sure about that, he was atrocious last year with the Rams.

7 Tds and 12 INTs in 3 games.

The thought of 7 TD passes in 3 games makes me salivate....

And JDB barely made the team....which has Jackson and Frerotte on it

Dr. Gonzo
09-17-2008, 10:36 AM
You will all soon see the greatness that is JDB in action and dominating!!! He clearly did not try during the preseason. That is how good he is.

Addict
09-17-2008, 10:40 AM
All aboard the GUS BUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screw the gus bus, I'm goin' on the Booty Express.

FuzzyGopher
09-17-2008, 12:01 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Well, according to pft it's official. Jackson is benched and Gus will get the nod at QB. What a mess we have at QB, I can't believe we invested so much into the other parts of the team but failed to hedge our bets on Jackson.

Marlo
09-17-2008, 12:04 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Well, according to pft it's official. Jackson is benched and Gus will get the nod at QB. What a mess we have at QB, I can't believe we invested so much into the other parts of the team but failed to hedge our bets on Jackson.

Defense looks no better than last year either, maybe even worse. Vikings are the new Cardinals. Huge expectations for a big leap every year that never materializes. This isn't Madden, you can't just plug a couple "90 players" in and think you'll be completely different next season.

Dr. Gonzo
09-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Defense looks no better than last year either, maybe even worse. Vikings are the new Cardinals. Huge expectations for a big leap every year that never materializes. This isn't Madden, you can't just plug a couple "90 players" in and think you'll be completely different next season.

We faced the Colts and Packers. I do not think you can call our defence worse then last year after playing two great offences. It is not like expecting the Defence to be better was unreasonable either. We filled our two biggest holes on defence last season and because of that it made sense to think that we would have an improved defence. At this point a lot of blame has to be placed on the terrible coaching thusfar as well.

BeerBaron
09-17-2008, 12:20 PM
The Vikings just suddenly got much more threatening:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/17/jackson-benched-frerotte-to-start-for-vikings/

GB12
09-17-2008, 08:58 PM

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/17/jackson-benched-frerotte-to-start-for-vikings/
No, they really haven't. I don't think this really changes anything from what they were before. Ferotte will give them a QB that's almost as bad as Jackson, but can't run. It's a move that I don't disagree with, but I don't see it doing much to improve.

awfullyquiet
09-17-2008, 09:11 PM

Gus Frerotte... the next big thing!

No seriously. It's the right move this season. the Wrong move next season.

skinzzfan25
09-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Screw the gus bus, I'm goin' on the Booty Express.

Ohhhhh.

Crafty sir, very crafty.

CC.SD
09-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Booty booty boooottaaaaaay! Get it done.

d34ng3l021
09-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Booty Booty Booty Rockin Everywhere.

bored of education
09-17-2008, 09:40 PM
i love Booty

holt_bruce81
09-17-2008, 10:51 PM
My god, Tavaris is the best option for the Vikings......Their making a mistake putting in Gus IMO. he'll throw 5-6 INTs in 2 games.

Menardo75
09-17-2008, 11:34 PM
I really don't think it will be long before we see JDB. He will probably finish the season the starter, especially if things continue like this.

giantsfan
09-18-2008, 12:36 AM
I really don't think it will be long before we see JDB. He will probably finish the season the starter, especially if things continue like this.

You think a guy who was successful in college because he played with NFL athletes against non-nfl talent will successfully transition to the NFL on an offense that isn't exactly overwhelming at the receiver position?

MetSox17
09-18-2008, 09:51 AM
You think a guy who was successful in college because he played with NFL athletes against non-nfl talent will successfully transition to the NFL on an offense that isn't exactly overwhelming at the receiver position?

Um, what the hell does that have to do with Gus Frerotte probably playing bad?

Yatta!
09-18-2008, 11:03 AM
I really can't see Frerotte or JDB being much of an upgrade. I would have given Jackson more time, the play calling has been bad and he doesn't get much help from his receivers. A move for Garcia would be the best option though, that would make the Vikings very dangerous.

Menardo75
09-18-2008, 11:13 AM

Thats not what I was saying. My point was that if Gus does not help them, they may turn to JDB and finish with him. I have no idea how good he will be. I thought he was one of the most ready QBs in the draft.

skinzzfan25
09-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Gus Bus stays rollin, regardless of any walls!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/dandrewhall/9c24772b.gif

pete_norm
09-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Thats not what I was saying. My point was that if Gus does not help them, they may turn to JDB and finish with him. I have no idea how good he will be. I thought he was one of the most ready QBs in the draft.

I really hope TJ is the number 2 and not JDB. I don't really like the move from TJ to Gus but i would HATE to see JDB play at all this season.

It's strange like that, everyone thinks Jackson didn't have enough time on the bench behind a veteran before being thrown in as a starter, and at the same time, they want the Vikings to do the same thing with JDB. In my mind, most ready QB in the draft definitly doesn't mean NFL ready... Let him learn behing someone else for the year and see in next year training camp who wins the starter job.

And for this year, give a fourth for Garcia!

Bucs_Rule
09-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Rookie QBs struggle alot. Given that this is Childress last year if they don't win, going to JDB doesn't make much sense. Ferotte gives them the better chance to win, if also stinks than try JDB.

Going for Garcia would be the safest play, Childress might be waiting to see how Ferotte plays this week before making the move.

Menardo75
09-19-2008, 04:15 PM
I really hope TJ is the number 2 and not JDB. I don't really like the move from TJ to Gus but i would HATE to see JDB play at all this season.

It's strange like that, everyone thinks Jackson didn't have enough time on the bench behind a veteran before being thrown in as a starter, and at the same time, they want the Vikings to do the same thing with JDB. In my mind, most ready QB in the draft definitly doesn't mean NFL ready... Let him learn behing someone else for the year and see in next year training camp who wins the starter job.

And for this year, give a fourth for Garcia!

He might not do too bad since it is for the most past the same system he ran in college. Thats why it might be worth a shot.

FuzzyGopher
09-19-2008, 07:22 PM
He might not do too bad since it is for the most past the same system he ran in college. Thats why it might be worth a shot.

People act like JDB was this amazing QB at USC. He struggled against mediocre teams when he had elite talent. He played terrible in training camp and even worse in pre season. In fact Booty barely made the team, and I think the only reason he did was because we spent a 4th rounder on him.

Vikes99ej
09-19-2008, 07:24 PM
It will never, ever be JDB time.

The Dynasty
09-19-2008, 07:38 PM
It will never, ever be JDB time.

Unless Gus runs into a wall and Tarvaris forgets to slide before getting tackled. Which is all very possible...

Babylon
09-19-2008, 09:53 PM
People act like JDB was this amazing QB at USC. He struggled against mediocre teams when he had elite talent. He played terrible in training camp and even worse in pre season. In fact Booty barely made the team, and I think the only reason he did was because we spent a 4th rounder on him.

The only game i remember him losing was the Stanford game last year. Remember that he was working with young backs and receivers there and an offensive line that was injury ridden. Not saying he should be out there now for the Vikes but he was very good at SC.