PDA

View Full Version : Excellent young QB play so far this year.

CC.SD
09-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Every year I like to take a look at QB play in the league because all the "media pundits" keep telling me there is a serious drought in excellent QB play.

Well I don't think it's true anymore; Not every team has a franchise signal caller, but there's a lot of accomplished veterans in the league right now, with several potential/locks for Canton in Brett, Tom and Peyton, plus guys like Warner, McNabb and Brees.

What this thread is about how we're, IMO of course, about to enter a legit golden age of QB, and by that I mean we're going to see a bunch of guys holding down their spots for at least the next 5 years and more in most cases.

Look around, and every division it seems has a young guy that's already getting it done, with the potential to develop into so much more. in no order, Romo, Palmer, Cutler, Rodgers, Eli, Big Ben, and (no homer) Rivers have all met with a lot of success on big stages. not to mention even younger guys who look very promising, like Trent Edwards, Derek Anderson, and even Matt Ryan. Plus you can't rule out Vince Young recapturing the magic.

I'm sure I left some guys out but that's not the point; the future is very bright for the first time in a long while.

RaiderNation
09-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Russell did good first game. WR's dropped 3 pass for long gains though.

Week2....... was a different story

BeerBaron
09-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Well I don't think it's true anymore; Not every team has a franchise signal caller, but there's a lot of accomplished veterans in the league right now, with several potential/locks for Canton in Brett, Tom and Peyton, plus guys like Warner, McNabb and Brees.

:(

I like Brees and I admit that McNabb isn't bad but neither of them should be anywhere close to that word "Canton"...

CC.SD
09-16-2008, 06:08 PM

I like Brees and I admit that McNabb isn't bad but neither of them should be anywhere close to that word "Canton"...

I just went with the more accomplished vet QBs in the league. Although, their careers aren't over by a long shot and a ring would mean a lot to both those guys' chances.

Bruce Banner
09-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Do you see the things that these QBs have in common?

They are in a position to succeed. None of them are being thrown to the wolves a la Alex Smith and David Carr.

MetSox17
09-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Do you see the things that these QBs have in common?

They are in a position to succeed. None of them are being thrown to the wolves a la Alex Smith and David Carr.

McNabb was. Roethlisberger was a statistical anamoly because his team underperformed, thus the semi-high draft pick. Cutler had to start pretty early in his career as well, but he at least had a semi decent team to work with.

Bruce Banner
09-16-2008, 07:07 PM
McNabb was. Roethlisberger was a statistical anamoly because his team underperformed, thus the semi-high draft pick. Cutler had to start pretty early in his career as well, but he at least had a semi decent team to work with.

I'm mainly talking about the young guys that are doing it right now. Cutler, Big Ben, Rodgers, etc.

MetSox17
09-16-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm mainly talking about the young guys that are doing it right now. Cutler, Big Ben, Rodgers, etc.

Yeah.

I got into this in a previous thread, someone that was talking about o-linemen, it's just hard for these coaches. They're asked to rebuild a team, yet win games, and the two usually go together. It's hard to win with a scrub at quarterback, so you usually play your young, talented guy. It's just a vicious circle that can't be avoided, at times.

giantsfan
09-16-2008, 07:11 PM

What? A good QB can leadzzz hizz teamzzz to vitocy ZOMG no matterz what. Carr, harrington and Smith just suck monkey nutzz

Bruce Banner
09-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Yeah.

I got into this in a previous thread, someone that was talking about o-linemen, it's just hard for these coaches. They're asked to rebuild a team, yet win games, and the two usually go together. It's hard to win with a scrub at quarterback, so you usually play your young, talented guy. It's just a vicious circle that can't be avoided, at times.

The QB should be one of the last pieces imo.

Put together a top o-line, a top half d, patch some holes, and then hope the QB puts you over the top....to start.

MetSox17
09-16-2008, 07:28 PM

Put together a top o-line, a top half d, patch some holes, and then hope the QB puts you over the top....to start.

Fully agreed.

bored of education
09-16-2008, 07:30 PM
A good O line means about 60-70% more of a success rate than Qb's talent alone. You might want to include overall talent of the team in the percentage as well(defense, coaching, special teams, etc)

Menardo75
09-16-2008, 08:33 PM

Thats about how you do it.

adschofield
09-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Tyler Thigpen is a God among men out there

Dam8610
09-16-2008, 09:33 PM

And Kurt Warner should?!

Dam8610
09-16-2008, 09:44 PM
By the way, most of those QBs have a very important common thread: continuity in the system they play in and the coaches that call their plays. That's not too surprising.

Job
09-17-2008, 07:58 AM
By the way, most of those QBs have a very important common thread: continuity in the system they play in and the coaches that call their plays. That's not too surprising.

Which begs the question : Do quarterbacks perform better thanks to continuity in the system, or are coaches and personnel allowed to stay longer thanks to a talented QB playing well?

21ST
09-17-2008, 08:45 AM

ding ding ding we have a winner