Tavaris Jackson
Charlie Whitehust
Brodie Croyle
Brad Smith QB/Wr
Omar Jacobs
Reggie McNeal
Bruce Gradkowsi
DJ Shockely

Interesting to see now how in a couple years how everything is sort of playing out. I personally thought Matt L was the best followed by Cutler. Good to see Cutler do well though. Normally Vandy doesn't do well, but great to see a school like that produce a good QB.

First we hear about Vince Young's issues, and even Whitlock, who I am not a fan of, before the draft commented on he isn't ready for the NFL. And now with Matt L an article like this comes out.

Matt Leinart Pouts While Warner, Boldin, & Fitzgerald Carve Up Miami Defense
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/58449-matt-leinart-pouts-while-warner-boldin-fitzgerald-carve-up-miami-defense

So with the exception of Cutler, how do we rank this QB class? Even if we wait a couple more years does anything think this class can get any better?

giantsfan
09-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Here's how I see this clas breaking down in about 2 or 3 years
Cutler
Young
Tarvaris Jackson
Croyle
Whitehurst
Leinart
Clemons

Turtlepower
09-17-2008, 12:43 PM
2005 class is just as bad:

Alex Smith
Aaron Rodgers
Jason Campbell
Charlie Frye
Andrew Walter
David Greene
Kyle Orton
Stefan LeFors (He knows American Sign Language, so he is that much cooler)
Dan Orlovsky
Adrian McPherson
Derek Anderson
James Kilian
Matt Cassell
Ryan Fitzpatrick

MetSox17
09-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Here's how I see this clas breaking down in about 2 or 3 years
Cutler
Young
Tarvaris Jackson
Croyle
Whitehurst
Leinart
Clemons

You're insane if you think all those guys are gonna be better than Matt Leinart (aside from Cutler).

NY+Giants=NYG
09-17-2008, 01:04 PM
You're insane if you think all those guys are gonna be better than Matt Leinart (aside from Cutler).

I always think of it as a QB can be better but not as productive as another QB in another system. So QB A can naturally be better, but his production may not be anywhere near QB B who is not as good, but has weapons around him, thus his production on the field via stats, reflect so.

I think Matt L is a good QB, but attitude, immaturity, and perhaps work ethic may the issue. Whatever it is, and whatever people may want to call it, that variable is hurting his production on the field.

MetSox17
09-17-2008, 01:09 PM
I always think of it as a QB can be better but not as productive as another QB in another system. So QB A can naturally be better, but his production may not be anywhere near QB B who is not as good, but has weapons around him, thus his production on the field via stats, reflect so.

I think Matt L is a good QB, but attitude, immaturity, and perhaps work ethic may the issue. Whatever it is, and whatever people may want to call it, that variable is hurting his production on the field.

Yes, i realize that, but what has Tarvaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst and Brodie Croyle done to automatically be better?

I don't think Matt Leinart has immaturity, attitude or work ethic issues. I think it's more of him letting outside distractions affect his play. Expectations were set high for him as well, so that might be lingering in his head. He has tools, and he has shown that he can manage an offense. He has performed under pressure, so i don't know what it is that's keeping Leinart from succeeding, but i'm willing to bet that eventually he'll figure it out.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Yes, i realize that, but what has Tarvaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst and Brodie Croyle done to automatically be better?

I don't think Matt Leinart has immaturity, attitude or work ethic issues. I think it's more of him letting outside distractions affect his play. Expectations were set high for him as well, so that might be lingering in his head. He has tools, and he has shown that he can manage an offense. He has performed under pressure, so i don't know what it is that's keeping Leinart from succeeding, but i'm willing to bet that eventually he'll figure it out.

Read that article I posted on the bottom. Being disengaged and not looking at the photos while your 3rd string does, is attitude. Work ethic part should tell someone, hey I am not the starting QB, maybe I need to work harder, and so even if i am not starting I need to prepare because 1 play can make a difference. Being disengaged, and your 3rd stringer still working hard is a sad thing for Matt L. Just because you're not starting doesn't mean you stop working and supporing your team mates. Look at Warner, he is such a classy guy, even when Warner was # 2, he was still there working hard and supporting Matt when he'd come back to the sideline.

They may not be automatically "better" but who knows if they work hard and have the right attitude, while the other QB doesn't, they can be better, but of course, I'd wait 2-3 more years to see what happens.

giantsfan
09-17-2008, 01:22 PM
I just don't think Leinart his mentality to be a really successful QB, Jackson has struggled but he's suffered incredibly bad coaching and play calling that leaves him screwed. He deserves part of the blame, but with a good coach he's got the work ethic and smarts to be a successful NFL QB and Leader.

I liked Charlie Whitehurst a lot as a prospect and I a believe once he gets a chance to start on some team he'll be a success, he hasn't proven anything in the NFL yet but he has been behind a top tier starter every season so far.

Croyle and Leinart are inter-changeable in my eyes. Croyle could be a tolerable QB if the chiefs had an elite Offensive Line that gave him time, and actually would put up some big numbers with his arm despite never really being more than an average QB.

DeathbyStat
09-17-2008, 01:53 PM
I liked Lienart....but hadn't seen enough of cutler to make a judgement but I knew he had great tools..... I had Young as the most likely to bust

bored of education
09-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Croyle > all - Cutlers

giantsfan
09-17-2008, 02:05 PM
I liked Lienart....but hadn't seen enough of cutler to make a judgement but I knew he had great tools..... I had Young as the most likely to bust

I've never liked Leinart as a pro prospect. I still think Young can be a successful NFL QB if he can get himself together and just go out and play like he did in college were he was a leader on the field. I've loved cutler which is why I'm really on his nuts this season. He's finally starting to get to where he can and he's going to be a truly great one if everything goes well, i.e. no major injuries, his diabetes is well maintained and he doesn't do something completely ******** off the field.

Menardo75
09-17-2008, 02:12 PM
I still think Whitehurst when given his chance could be a very good QB. Croyle also just niether of them are in very good situations.

Addict
09-17-2008, 02:17 PM
I still think Leinart has a chance of redeeming himself. He hasn't looked well so far but I always think he does have Kurt Warner to fight off (although not the great Warner of the Rams, but still) and Ken Wisenhunt who seems very unwilling to commit. Now I understand Wisenhunt's decision but when it comes to young QB's you gotta let them play, it's the only way to get experience.

Young and Cutler got the offenses handed to them, Leinart didn't. I still think he can be the second best QB out of the class (behind Cutler, obviously). Young I felt had and has the highest bust potential and although he has no targets, I don't know if his psyche will hold up against the scrutiny. All other QB's from the class are career backups (save maybe Clemens) or IR-filler material (see: Croyle, Brodie).

giantsfan
09-17-2008, 02:23 PM
I still think Leinart has a chance of redeeming himself. He hasn't looked well so far but I always think he does have Kurt Warner to fight off (although not the great Warner of the Rams, but still) and Ken Wisenhunt who seems very unwilling to commit. Now I understand Wisenhunt's decision but when it comes to young QB's you gotta let them play, it's the only way to get experience.

Young and Cutler got the offenses handed to them, Leinart didn't. I still think he can be the second best QB out of the class (behind Cutler, obviously). Young I felt had and has the highest bust potential and although he has no targets, I don't know if his psyche will hold up against the scrutiny. All other QB's from the class are career backups (save maybe Clemens) or IR-filler material (see: Croyle, Brodie).

Leinart just doesn't fight for it, he's accepted failure and if his mentality doesn't change he's going to be a major disappointment, maybe not a bust, he could still be a solid starter with the talent around him, but he'll be a huge disappointment.

Addict
09-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Leinart just doesn't fight for it, he's accepted failure and if his mentality doesn't change he's going to be a major disappointment, maybe not a bust, he could still be a solid starter with the talent around him, but he'll be a huge disappointment.

I think we're gonna end up agreeing to disagree here. I do think Leinart has been thrown to the wolves a bit too much. Wisenhunt seems very very willing to yank him out of a game when he's not playing well, something that normally doesn't happen to a young QB of the future.

giantsfan
09-17-2008, 02:27 PM
I think we're gonna end up agreeing to disagree here. I do think Leinart has been thrown to the wolves a bit too much. Wisenhunt seems very very willing to yank him out of a game when he's not playing well, something that normally doesn't happen to a young QB of the future.

Yeah, but he should still be working to improve his game, that's what a lot of other young QBs are doing, instead of just moping and partying as though he can't do anything about the situation.

bigbluedefense
09-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Cutler looks like the only one of the bunch that will pan out. Im surprised and disappointed in Leinart, he's going to be a bust. Unless a WCO team with promise scoops him up and he changes his attitude. He looked good under Green, so maybe all hope is not lost with a change of scenery.

Young, I think his days are numbered. Depression is difficult to overcome, especially for a qb who doesn't want to play.

How bout that 04 class? :) Eli, Rivers, Ben, Schaub. Best class since the Marino, Elway, Kelly, Moon, Eason class.

DeathbyStat
09-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Cutler looks like the only one of the bunch that will pan out. Im surprised and disappointed in Leinart, he's going to be a bust. Unless a WCO team with promise scoops him up and he changes his attitude. He looked good under Green, so maybe all hope is not lost with a change of scenery.

Young, I think his days are numbered. Depression is difficult to overcome, especially for a qb who doesn't want to play.

How bout that 04 class? :) Eli, Rivers, Ben, Schaub. Best class since the Marino, Elway, Kelly, Moon, Eason class.

O4 kills all classes in recent memory

Turtlepower
09-17-2008, 03:47 PM

He would flourish in Tampa under Gruden.

Marlo
09-17-2008, 03:48 PM
He would flourish in Tampa under Gruden.

Until Gruden gets enamoured by another QB a month later after Leinart is acquired...

giantsfan
09-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Until Gruden gets enamoured by another QB a month later after Leinart is acquired...

Due to his struggles with his massive playbook.

Jughead10
09-17-2008, 04:01 PM

Alex Smith
Aaron Rodgers
Jason Campbell
Charlie Frye
Andrew Walter
David Greene
Kyle Orton
Stefan LeFors (He knows American Sign Language, so he is that much cooler)
Dan Orlovsky
Adrian McPherson
Derek Anderson
James Kilian
Matt Cassell
Ryan Fitzpatrick

2005 is much better than 2006. Rodgers looks like he is going be an above average starting QB. Smith stinks so he drags the class down. Campbell has struggled but is still holding onto a job. Frye is a decent backup. Orton as well is a decent back up who happens to be starting. And of course Derek Anderson made the Pro Bowl whether he deserved it or not and got a nice extension. And Matt Cassell is now 2-0 as a starter.

This class probably doesn't have one player the caliber of Cutler (we'll wait and see on Rodgers) but it turned out to be deeper.

CashmoneyDrew
09-17-2008, 04:45 PM
I actually kind of wanted the Titans to draft Aaron Rodgers in 05. We got Pacman and Vince Young instead....

bigbluedefense
09-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Whats crazy about that draft was where Mario Williams wouldve fell had the Texans not selected him.

The Saints made it clear that had Bush not fallen to their lap, they would have selected AJ Hawk.

The Titans wouldve taken Young regardless if Williams was there.

The Jets ran a 3-4 and had no place for Williams, and would probably still take Brick.

Which would have put Williams on the Green Bay Packers. Can you imagine how beastly that defense would have been if Mario Williams and Aaron Kampman were their book ends?!

=0

Addict
09-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Whats crazy about that draft was where Mario Williams wouldve fell had the Texans not selected him.

The Saints made it clear that had Bush not fallen to their lap, they would have selected AJ Hawk.

The Jets ran a 3-4 and had no place for Williams, and would probably still take Brick.

Which would have put Williams on the Green Bay Packers. Can you imagine how beastly that defense would have been if Mario Williams and Aaron Kampman were their book ends?!

=0

yeah, although their linebacking corps would have been problematic though.

Addict
09-17-2008, 06:15 PM
VInce Young - Headcase
Matt Leinart - No clue what his problem is
Jay Cutler - hey, finally one worth his money!
Kellen Clemons - Unsure, hasn't looked all that great
Tavaris Jackson - he got benched for Gus Frerotte.That says it all
Charlie Whitehust - I believe he dropped off the face of the earth
Brodie Croyle - Injured... as always
Brad Smith QB/Wr no clue
Omar Jacobs no clue
Reggie McNeal no clue
Bruce Gradkowsi yeah he wasn't very good either
DJ Shockely see: Smith, Brad; Jacobs, Omar; McNeal, Reggie

remember how we all thought this class was great?

CC.SD
09-17-2008, 06:16 PM

=0

I don't have much to add, other than I just came. =0 :D

awfullyquiet
09-17-2008, 06:20 PM
There hasn't been a 'great' quarterback class in a long time.

Maybe it's because quarterback coaching and the entire quarterback philosophy has changed...

yo123
09-17-2008, 06:25 PM

Maybe it's because quarterback coaching and the entire quarterback philosophy has changed...

IMO it's just getting harder and harder to play QB in the NFL with the defenses getting bigger, stronger, faster, and better.

awfullyquiet
09-17-2008, 06:30 PM
IMO it's just getting harder and harder to play QB in the NFL with the defenses getting bigger, stronger, faster, and better.

Then what's with the explosions of rookie RB's if defenses are stronger, faster and better?

Shiver
09-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Many people thought that it was a 1983 type of class, but it looks like Jay Cutler is the only good QB of the bunch. Matt Leinart is on the Cade McNown career path, Vince Young is on suicide watch, Kellen Clemens and Tarvaris Jackson have struggled mightily in brief performances.

I must ask: where are all the Cutler haters now? There were quite a few who said he was "Kyle Boller 2.0," the 'he just has a strong arm' crowd.

SenorGato
09-20-2008, 12:31 AM

=0

No way the Jets don't take Williams. Mangini is from the BB/Parcells tree...that whole global theory thing...Williams fell under that.

You'll find something to do with a talent like that.

I think Croyle, Clemens, and Whitehurst can be something...Cutler is the clear crown jewel.

Never a Leinart or Young fan...but Leinart is on a team loaded with talent and he has the shot if he wants it. Young needs to get his ish together.

Matthew Jones
09-20-2008, 01:31 AM
So far:

1. Jay Cutler
2. Vince Young
3. Matt Leinart
4. Tarvaris Jackson
5. Brodie Croyle
6. Bruce Gradkowski
7. Kellen Clemens
8. Brad Smith (does he count?)

Menardo75
09-20-2008, 02:06 AM
One of the questions that I always think about is who would the niners have taken if Lienart had come out in the 05 draft. Don't know if it would be any better but interesting.

illmatic74
09-20-2008, 02:34 AM
You have to put Young and Jackson ahead of Leinart. They sucked throwing to scrubs Leinart sucked throwing to Fitsgerald and Boldin.

TitleTown088
09-20-2008, 02:49 AM

=0
I still remember praying for mario to fall, I'm content with Hawk but wow what could have been

ATLDirtyBirds
09-20-2008, 07:03 AM
VInce Young - Headcase
Matt Leinart - No clue what his problem is
Jay Cutler - hey, finally one worth his money!
Kellen Clemons - Unsure, hasn't looked all that great
Tavaris Jackson - he got benched for Gus Frerotte.That says it all
Charlie Whitehust - I believe he dropped off the face of the earth
Brodie Croyle - Injured... as always
Brad Smith QB/Wr no clue
Omar Jacobs no clue
Reggie McNeal no clue
Bruce Gradkowsi yeah he wasn't very good either
DJ Shockely see: Smith, Brad; Jacobs, Omar; McNeal, Reggie

remember how we all thought this class was great?

Hey now. DJ is sitting pretty as our number 3 QB. And as long as he plays for the Falcons he will always have UGA super homers calling for him to start. He's got a good gig.

LonghornsLegend
09-20-2008, 09:59 AM

What would you do, you have the Seahawks struggling at 0-2, the division wide open, and two of the best WR's in the NFL at your disposal, do you play Warner who is showing he is still one of the best QB's in the NFL right now, or throw Leinart out there even though he clearly isn't the best QB on the team? Wisenhunt wants to win and he should, he didn't draft Leinart so why should he ruin his season waiting around for him, fact is right now Warner is by far a better QB, and its still up in the air whether or not Leinart is the QB of the future.

He was drafted high thats about it, but he isn't a great fit for this offense, and I wouldn't put him out there either, I would put Warner in and go take this division over, it be different if Leinart was playing really well but he's not and hasn't been and he has had plenty of chances.

MaxV
09-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Before you guys bash these QB classes perhaps you should take a look at this one.....

1. David Carr
2. Joey Harrington
3. Patrick Ramsey
4. Josh McCown
5. David Garrard
6. Rohan Davey
7. Randy Fasani
8. Kurt Kittner
9. Brandon Doman
10. Craig Nall
11. J.T. O'Sullivan
12. Steve Bellisari
13. Seth Burford
14. Jeff Kelly
15. Wes Pate

Behold, the mighty product of the 2002 Draft class.

Hey, 2 current starters.

Gay Ork Wang
09-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Before you guys bash these QB classes perhaps you should take a look at this one.....

1. David Carr
2. Joey Harrington
3. Patrick Ramsey
4. Josh McCown
5. David Garrard
6. Rohan Davey
7. Randy Fasani
8. Kurt Kittner
9. Brandon Doman
10. Craig Nall
11. J.T. O'Sullivan
12. Steve Bellisari
13. Seth Burford
14. Jeff Kelly
15. Wes Pate

At least one of them came close to win the big one....in Europe :P

GB12
09-20-2008, 11:23 AM

Aaron Rodgers
Jason Campbell
Kyle Orton
Derek Anderson
Matt Cassell
Not even close. Rodgers has been great so far and while he probably won't continue to be that good, he'll be a top half QB in this league maybe higher. Anderson had a monster season last year and went to the Pro Bowl, he's not as good as that'd make you think but he'll still be a starter in this league somewhere for a long time. Campbell will be a bottom level starter. And Cassell and Orton should be top of the line back ups.

Sure the rest are garbage, but that's a solid QB class.

Addict
09-20-2008, 11:45 AM

1. David Carr
2. Joey Harrington
3. Patrick Ramsey
4. Josh McCown
5. David Garrard
6. Rohan Davey
7. Randy Fasani
8. Kurt Kittner
9. Brandon Doman
10. Craig Nall
11. J.T. O'Sullivan
12. Steve Bellisari
13. Seth Burford
14. Jeff Kelly
15. Wes Pate

Hey, 2 current starters.

lol that's one horrendous class...

MaxV
09-20-2008, 12:18 PM

Yeah, with all due respect to David Garrard and J.T. O'Sullivan, you know it's TERRIBLE when these 2 should've been the top 2 QBs picked.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Nah, Craig Nall pushes that one past 1984 IMO.

Menardo75
09-21-2008, 02:08 AM

J.T. makes it pretty much awesome though.

CC.SD
09-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Whitehurst does OK in the preseason every year, the guy is just buried behind Rivers and Billy Volek. Not a great use for a 3rd round pick, but who am I to question AJ. He'll probably get a shot one day.

marks01234
09-22-2008, 11:27 AM

I'd say 2004 is shaping up to be a good one.

2 Super Bowl winning QBs and the third guy is in the top 5 in passer rating, passing yards and TD passes. Matt Schaub is a decent starter as well.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-22-2008, 05:28 PM

Schaub sucks.

Menardo75
09-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Whitehurst does OK in the preseason every year, the guy is just buried behind Rivers and Billy Volek. Not a great use for a 3rd round pick, but who am I to question AJ. He'll probably get a shot one day.

Yeah A.J. has put some talent on that team I would'nt worry about it.

BBIB
09-23-2008, 06:00 PM

1. David Carr
2. Joey Harrington
3. Patrick Ramsey
4. Josh McCown
5. David Garrard
6. Rohan Davey
7. Randy Fasani
8. Kurt Kittner
9. Brandon Doman
10. Craig Nall
11. J.T. O'Sullivan
12. Steve Bellisari
13. Seth Burford
14. Jeff Kelly
15. Wes Pate

Hey, 2 current starters.

That class will always remind me of this article that came out right after that draft

http://quicktime.cnnsi.com/inside_game/phil_taylor/news/2002/04/29/hot_button/

Some guy named David Garrard was the Jaguars' fourth-round pick in the NFL Draft 10 days ago. David Garrard is a quarterback from East Carolina. With that sentence, I have completely exhausted my reservoir of knowledge about David Garrard. I don't know whether he's right- or left-handed, how fast he runs the 40, or if he has the arm strength to throw the deep out. But I do know this: There's a decent chance that David Garrard will have as productive a pro career as David Carr, who went to the Texans as the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

If it's not David Garrard who goes on to outshine Carr, then it will probably be someone like him. Maybe Wes Pate (from Stephen F. Austin, a seventh-round selection by the Ravens) or J.T. O'Sullivan (from UC Davis, a sixth-round selection by the Saints). Nothing against Carr or Joey Harrington, taken by the Lions with the third overall pick, but history has shown that the best quarterbacks aren't always those everyone salivates over in the draft. In fact, the QB everybody loves coming out of college rarely turns out to be the best pro. For every Terry Bradshaw, the top pick of the 1970 draft who wound up getting into the Hall of Fame, there is a Jeff George, the No. 1 pick 20 years later who wound up getting on the nerves of just about every coach who ever worked with him.

Dr. Gonzo
09-23-2008, 06:15 PM

1. David Carr
2. Joey Harrington
3. Patrick Ramsey
4. Josh McCown
5. David Garrard
6. Rohan Davey
7. Randy Fasani
8. Kurt Kittner
9. Brandon Doman
10. Craig Nall
11. J.T. O'Sullivan
12. Steve Bellisari
13. Seth Burford
14. Jeff Kelly
15. Wes Pate

Hey, 2 current starters.

We all know Craig Nall would have multiple MVP's right now if the idiots in Green Bay started him.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-23-2008, 06:29 PM
We all know Craig Nall would have multiple MVP's right now if the idiots in Green Bay started him.

Now I could live with Favre's picks with all the TDs he produces, but that's in comparison to your every day QB, who throws only slightly less picks. But Favre inexplicably started over someone with almost THREE HUNDRED less interceptions than Favre. In fact, Nall has NEVER, that's right, NEVER thrown an interception. That kind of efficiency is unparalleled EVER. The fact that Favre started over him is all you really need to know to fully understand the ineptitude of that joke of a franchise.

Staubach12
09-23-2008, 11:39 PM
When it comes down to it, here's what I think these QBs will shake out to be.

Young - Bust.
Matt L - Average NFL QB
Cutler - He'll be one of the best one day.
Kellen Clemons - GTood backup.
Tavaris Jackson - Out of league soon.
Charlie Whitehust - something tells me he'll start somewhere down the line for someone. Mediocre.
Brodie Croyle - Career backup.
Bruce Gradkowsi - Journeyman backup.
DJ Shockely - Nothing

Flyboy
09-23-2008, 11:45 PM

That is correct. And, had we not have signed Brees in free agency we would have taken Matt Leinart.

Menardo75
09-24-2008, 01:04 AM
That is correct. And, had we not have signed Brees in free agency we would have taken Matt Leinart.

Really glad for that franchise Brees was available.