PDA

View Full Version : Vikings bench Tarvaris Jackson

Sveen
09-17-2008, 12:41 PM
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- The Minnesota Vikings are benching quarterback Tarvaris Jackson in favor of Gus Frerotte.

Coach Brad Childress said Wednesday that Frerotte will start Sunday against the Carolina Panthers.

Jackson started the first two games, both losses. He completed just 51 percent of his passes in those starts, prompting the coach to turn to 37-year-old journeyman Frerotte.

Frerotte was signed in the offseason to be Jackson's backup, but now finds himself trying to turn around a team that had high expectations to start the season.

Childress said that barring injury, Frerotte will be the quarterback for the rest of the season. However, Childress added he hasn't given up on the 25-year-old Jackson as an option for the team's long term.

Source: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/09/17/frerotte.ap/index.html

MetSox17
09-17-2008, 12:45 PM
It's about time!

ShutDwn
09-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Hopefully the Panthers don't make Childress look like a genius. They have had problems in the past about making subpar guys look good.

Gay Ork Wang
09-17-2008, 01:07 PM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25368

Komp
09-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Can't say I didn't see this one coming. With Minnesota's defense and run game they just need someone to not screw up and make the odd throw back there to be alright. With a tough game against Carolina this weekend they had to make this move to prevent them from going 0-3 with Jackson.

Babylon
09-17-2008, 01:30 PM
With Jackson it looked to me like they were limiting what plays they could call and this should open up the playbook a bit. Frerotte is no prize but might add some stability. QB is a definite postion of need in the offseason.

giantsfan
09-17-2008, 01:36 PM
With Jackson it looked to me like they were limiting what plays they could call and this should open up the playbook a bit. Frerotte is no prize but might add some stability. QB is a definite postion of need in the offseason.

No that's just the coaching staff having no idea that you can adjust your plan in the game to use whats working and avoiding what isn't.

Babylon
09-17-2008, 01:42 PM
No that's just the coaching staff having no idea that you can adjust your plan in the game to use whats working and avoiding what isn't.

I think it's too convenient for fans to just blame the coach. Obviously handing the ball to Peterson is the smart thing to do but nobody knows what Jackson is capable of in that huddle. Get rid of the coach you still have the same problems.

Menardo75
09-17-2008, 02:15 PM
That was just a matter of time.

Vikes99ej
09-17-2008, 02:38 PM
God I hope he plays better than Kelly Holcomb did last year.

giantsfan
09-17-2008, 02:42 PM
I think it's too convenient for fans to just blame the coach. Obviously handing the ball to Peterson is the smart thing to do but nobody knows what Jackson is capable of in that huddle. Get rid of the coach you still have the same problems.

When it's consistent over the span of multiple quarter backs it's safe to blame it on coaching. Heck even if your players don't fit your scheme at all and fail miserably a good coach will change the scheme and adjust, but not brad childress, he loves his plan.

Ravens1991
09-17-2008, 02:45 PM
When it's consistent over the span of multiple quarter backs it's safe to blame it on coaching. Heck even if your players don't fit your scheme at all and fail miserably a good coach will change the scheme and adjust, but not brad childress, he loves his plan.

great point, I have said that involving Billick but people disagreed w/ me. About Tarvaris it was just a matter of time, he has the talent but it doesnt seem like he will put it together.

giantsfan
09-17-2008, 02:47 PM
great point, I have said that involving Billick but people disagreed w/ me. About Tarvaris it was just a matter of time, he has the talent but it doesnt seem like he will put it together.

If there's either a coaching change or he goes to another franchise I still envision him becoming a good NFL QB somewhere someday.

bigbluedefense
09-17-2008, 02:48 PM
This in my opinion seals the Vikings fate. They won't make the playoffs.

Not with 3 teams most likely coming out of the East, GB in the North, and the other wildcard most likely coming from the South.

Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, Saints, Cardinals, and Packers. Thats my 6.

giantsfan
09-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Hopefully that also seals Brad Childress' fate, costing him his job. The key will be finding the right replacement, someone who can adjust his scheme to his players and make adjustments in games.

Marlo
09-17-2008, 03:29 PM
This in my opinion seals the Vikings fate. They won't make the playoffs.

Not with 3 teams most likely coming out of the East, GB in the North, and the other wildcard most likely coming from the South.

Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, Saints, Panthers, and Packers. Thats my 6.

I think mathematically it will be very hard for 3 teams to make it from the East. That said I'll give the Bears the nod over the Vikings at this point anyway.

giantsfan
09-17-2008, 03:30 PM
I think mathematically it will be very hard for 3 teams to make it from the East.

happened last season.

Marlo
09-17-2008, 03:32 PM
happened last season.

So........?

bigbluedefense
09-17-2008, 03:35 PM
I think mathematically it will be very hard for 3 teams to make it from the East. That said I'll give the Bears the nod over the Vikings at this point anyway.

I tend to agree about the math, but its happened the past 2 or 3 seasons i believe. it should happen again. theres 3 legitimate SB contenders in the East alone.

bigbluedefense
09-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Wait, i have to edit my post, I forgot about the NFC West LOL.

can't we just exclude them?

anyway the 6 are:

Giants, Eagles, Cowboys, Saints, Packers, Arizona.

Marlo
09-17-2008, 03:38 PM
I tend to agree about the math, but its happened the past 2 or 3 seasons i believe. it should happen again. theres 3 legitimate SB contenders in the East alone.

Well the good news is that nobody has lost a non-divisonal game yet in the East.

yo123
09-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Well this is a great move, but it's still Gus Frerotte so I need to temper my expectations. His deep ball can't be any worse than Jackson's though, so maybe one of these times Berrian beats his man deep (he's done it about 4 times this year) he can actually hit him.

Babylon
09-17-2008, 04:00 PM

Seems to me he's changing the scheme by running the ball most of the time, isnt that the complaint that he gets too conservative?

DHVF
09-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Well this is a great move, but it's still Gus Frerotte so I need to temper my expectations. His deep ball can't be any worse than Jackson's though, so maybe one of these times Berrian beats his man deep (he's done it about 4 times this year) he can actually hit him.And umm Berrian can uh what...either drop the ball again or get interfered with without any penalty getting called? You really cannot blame TJ for most of those deep balls not getting completed.

As far as this move goes though, this is just a desperation move by Childress to try and save his job. I cannot wait to see how much Frerotte struggles with a combination of ****** pass blocking, horrendous playcalling and receivers who can't catch a cold.

D-Unit
09-17-2008, 07:08 PM
The move was inevitable. Tavaris Jackson should never have been drafted or tried out as an NFL starting Quarterback to begin with. I never liked his selection for the Vikings. I knew they were making a busted pick.

...and I think they made another mistake by taking Tyrell Johnson over Brian Brohm. They had a false sense of hope in Tavaris Jackson which made them feel like they could pass up on him and Tavaris failed them. I blame the GM.

neko4
09-17-2008, 07:12 PM
I was actually a little impressed with Jackson in the 2nd half of the Packers game. I feel the play calling and Reciever play was poor in the 2nd half and was a big reason why they lost. To me the Viqueens are using Jackson as a scape goat. But I didnt see the entire Colts game so I dont know how he did there.

Babylon
09-17-2008, 08:21 PM
I was actually a little impressed with Jackson in the 2nd half of the Packers game. I feel the play calling and Reciever play was poor in the 2nd half and was a big reason why they lost. To me the Viqueens are using Jackson as a scape goat. But I didnt see the entire Colts game so I dont know how he did there.

I just dont think he's ready, idealy he sits behind a veteran and learns the game. Right now he probably shrinks the playbook to zilch by being on the field so a guy with experience out there is the right move.

Brent
09-17-2008, 08:35 PM
When does the JDB era start? Because if he starts I might actually care about the Vikes.

BuckNaked
09-17-2008, 08:35 PM
The Colts game wasn't really all his fault. It was more a combination of poor officiating on pass interference calls, Vishante Shiancoe being an assmuncher, the horrid and predictable playcalling, and the pass blocking which gave him no time to make any plays. He did have a touchdown there with Shiancoe which would've gave them the win, but he's an incompetent shmuck and he dropped it. Now I agree that Jackson has been less than stellar, but I agree with one of the above posters that he is being used as a scapegoat in this case. I would completely understand and be in full support in a move that actually involved us actually upgrading at the position by going out for a quarterback like Jeff Garcia. But this seems like making a change just for the sake of one. Gus Frerotte is a career journeyman and was not exactly a good quarterback in St. Louis last season. He can't help the fact that the receivers have trouble creating separation and when they do, they just end up dropping it. Not to mention that the pass blocking has been subpar and Jackson has been good at evading the pass rushers. In those situations when there were no open receivers, Jackson was at least able to scramble for a first down and had some nice gains.

TitleTown088
09-18-2008, 02:02 AM
T jack(while terrible) is the least of the Vikings worries, they need a new coach. They will go nowhere with Major dad at the helms.