PDA

View Full Version : Vince Oghobaase

Cribbs>Hester
09-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Can any Duke fans or anyone who has got to watch him play tell me more about him? I know he's a (rs)Junior. He looks very long and explosive off the snap, but that is all I know about him. I don't exactly get any Duke games on TV up here in Ohio, but Vince does intrige me as a prospect. x

Weaknesses?
Stengths?
Chances on him coming out this year?

MarioPalmer
09-17-2008, 08:12 PM
I right behind you on this one. I've seen him play but not in any great detail. This year I was going to DVR some of the Duke games just to watch him specifically.

What I do know.

Vincent is 6'6 320lbs. with outstnading athletic ability and smarts to diagnose the play and react well before the play gets to him. He does have great explosion and he does have excellent length and he carries his weight very well and doesn't look to be too soft in the middle like other heavy DT prospects. To me, when I saw him, his technique was a little raw and he does have trouble when going against more talented college offensive lines, but thats to be expected considering that the Blue Devils don't exactly have top notch talent playing along side him so he gets doubled on virtually every play. He can rush the passer but I think right now he is beating guys on size, strength and talent more than technique and quickness. Doesn' mean he can't do it, but I don't think he knows how to utilize it.

BUt, I definitly think he can be a mid 1rst rounder if the production and talent are at high levels also if he has outstanding off-season workouts its very hard for NFL teams to look away from propects of this nature and their size.

I like him very much, can anyone give me really detailed scouting analysis that has watched him alot? I want to know exactly what plays he does well on and which ones he doesn't.

princefielder28
09-17-2008, 08:13 PM
He is one hell of a run stuffer who continues to improve his quickness and thus leading to an increased ability in putting pressure on the QB. He's a strong, intelligent kid who continues to get better, and is living up to his hype coming out of high school. I am a big fan of his and given the injuries to some of the top DTs eligible for this year's draft, I think he could make the move and possibly sneak into round one.

MarioPalmer
09-17-2008, 08:25 PM
He is one hell of a run stuffer who continues to improve his quickness and thus leading to an increased ability in putting pressure on the QB. He's a strong, intelligent kid who continues to get better, and is living up to his hype coming out of high school. I am a big fan of his and given the injuries to some of the top DTs eligible for this year's draft, I think he could make the move and possibly sneak into round one.

I agree, from what I've seen his technique needs to be refined, but thats not a real big issue. I think his draft status is based on offseason workouts. They and we know he can play, but the scouts are gonna want to see his strength up close, his explosivness up close and his smarts up close. I think he does well and makes it into the top 20, because like I said prospects of his size/athleticism don't get over looked.

princefielder28
09-17-2008, 08:29 PM
I agree, from what I've seen his technique needs to be refined, but thats not a real big issue. I think his draft status is based on offseason workouts. They and we know he can play, but the scouts are gonna want to see his strength up close, his explosivness up close and his smarts up close. I think he does well and makes it into the top 20, because like I said prospects of his size/athleticism don't get over looked.

His strength will be towards the top of the list and given his work ethic his footwork should impress by then as well. Technique can be refined with good coaching, something that doesn't usually come with Duke University Football

derza222
09-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Haven't seen any of Oghobaase, but based on what I'm reading here he looks like he could potentially be intriguing as a 3-4 end. Can anybody confirm or deny this? Certainly sounds like the kind of player I'd like my team to draft, and given 3-4 end will be a need for us...too bad I never really get a chance to see Duke on TV.

Cribbs>Hester
09-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Yeah 34 DE is what I was thinking when I was watching him play and that is what intriged me most about him because we're going to need a future replacement for Robaire Smith(maybe even next year now).

scottyboy
09-17-2008, 09:42 PM
if the giants get him, we'd have the best line ever

(well there'd be tuck) and kiwnuka, umenyiora and oghobaase. scrabble points, FTW!

MarioPalmer
09-17-2008, 11:30 PM
He would be a perfect player in a line that has at least one dominant DE if he played in a 4-3. His perfect situation would be like the Houston Texans, Chicago Bears, Carolina Panthers, Indianpolis Colts, New York Giants etc. He would fit perfect in those schemes.

Also, he would absolutely learn technique with NFL coaching and he would definitly polish himself during his rookie and soph NFL seasons. By his 3rd and 4th season he could potentialy be an elite DT. Obviously thats a long ways off, but his potential is through the roof.

Go figure, Oghobaase came into college with hyped up DT's like Callahan Bright, Jerrell Powe and Melvin Alazae (DT/DE), and he was supposed to be the lesser of these 3, but now with hard work, a clean nose and taking care of himself off the field he is now considered in the top of the defensive prospects going into the 2009 NFL Draft. Shame, this draft class could have been the 2001 NFL Draft class all over again in terms of elite DT prospects.

eaglesalltheway
09-18-2008, 07:22 AM
if the giants get him, we'd have the best line ever

(well there'd be tuck) and kiwnuka, umenyiora and oghobaase. scrabble points, FTW!

Proper names are illegal in scrabble!!!

marks01234
09-18-2008, 11:25 AM
He would be a perfect player in a line that has at least one dominant DE if he played in a 4-3. His perfect situation would be like the Houston Texans, Chicago Bears, Carolina Panthers, Indianpolis Colts, New York Giants etc. He would fit perfect in those schemes.

Also, he would absolutely learn technique with NFL coaching and he would definitly polish himself during his rookie and soph NFL seasons. By his 3rd and 4th season he could potentialy be an elite DT. Obviously thats a long ways off, but his potential is through the roof.

Go figure, Oghobaase came into college with hyped up DT's like Callahan Bright, Jerrell Powe and Melvin Alazae (DT/DE), and he was supposed to be the lesser of these 3, but now with hard work, a clean nose and taking care of himself off the field he is now considered in the top of the defensive prospects going into the 2009 NFL Draft. Shame, this draft class could have been the 2001 NFL Draft class all over again in terms of elite DT prospects.

Mario,

I mentioned it in another thread but Callahan Bright will be NFL prospect next year (or whenever he decides to put his name in the draft) and barring him being out of shape or having off the field issues, he'll go first day. It wouldn't shock me at all if he was a first round selection.

Vince O, is a good looking propsect who seemed to turn the corner last year in terms to controlling his position. I watch a lot of ACC football but haven't seen Duke this season but I will be paying attention to him.