PDA

View Full Version : Official 2008 Season Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Geo
10-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Hey, maybe that Rhodes TD helped some owners in fantasy, lol.

Maybe the refs can do all of us (a twist!) a favor and just end this game already.

RCAChainGang
10-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Refs were terrible, but wouldn't have made a difference Geo.

We need to get it together.

Rhodes is only good on draws....

Geo
10-19-2008, 06:30 PM
1. Refs are Packers MVP for this game, they were clutch.

2. The officials completely ran the Colts over.

3. Zebras don't need Favre.

4. What a pathetic, ridiculous load of ********.

5. The offense and defense needed to play better. They didn't look as bad as the numbers and scoreboard might indicate, which would have been evident had this been a fairly-officiated game instead of the disgusting, obtuse farce of such a thing as it was. Another missed FG by Vinatieri, although in the conditions and weather situation, hard to really pin on him.

So the Colts need to just put this public lynching behind them and win at Tennessee this Monday. This is a must win. Offense needs to get its stuff straight and put scores on the board, even if it's just field goals some of the time.

Dam8610
10-19-2008, 06:32 PM
1. Refs are Packers MVP for this game, they were clutch.

I'm going with co-MVPs, adding Tim Jennings. Please cut this waste of roster space.

Dam8610
10-19-2008, 06:34 PM
This year's Colts offense, as currently constructed, can't overcome a defensive score. They aren't close to as good as the '06 Colts.

To be fair, every loss the 06 Colts had came in part as a result of an opponent turning a turnover into a TD.

RCAChainGang
10-19-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm going with co-MVPs, adding Tim Jennings. Please cut this waste of roster space.

Tim Jennings is a learning young corner.

He isn't a waste of roster space.

1 game where he gets penalties called on him by some refs full of **** doesn't mean he is a now terrible corner.

Geo
10-19-2008, 06:35 PM
I think the bogus calls make Jennings look much worse than he actually is. He might even be a starter next year, he has promise.

But I definitely like Hughes and maybe a healthy Coe more. Btw, I don't think we mentioned this in the thread, but Kelvin Hayden had his surgery and will reportedly return this season. That's awesome news, get well soon, Kelvin.

Geo
10-19-2008, 06:39 PM
So anyone think the team will add a defensive tackle this week? I didn't pay attention to see if/when Muir played, how he played. But maybe a second DT will be necessary to rotate with Muir against Tennessee.

RCAChainGang
10-19-2008, 06:39 PM
And there's the capper. And yes, a legit/great play by the Packers defense.

This year's Colts offense, as currently constructed, can't overcome a defensive score. They aren't close to as good as the '06 Colts.

Well in 06 we were almost in the same boat barely beating teams at the end of the game. 06 team just got hot at the right time. We aren't far off this just wasn't our week.

Geo
10-19-2008, 06:41 PM
The Colts had the best offense in the league in '06 though, they carried the team. They were scoring points in limited drives, performing under constant pressure, it was beautiful. The strain did wear on them though, especially from the Dallas game on, but even a mentally worn '06 Colts offense runs circles around this offense.

Dam8610
10-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Tim Jennings is a learning young corner.

He isn't a waste of roster space.

1 game where he gets penalties called on him by some refs full of **** doesn't mean he is a now terrible corner.

This is Tim Jennings's 3rd year, he shouldn't be making those stupid mistakes by now.

Dam8610
10-19-2008, 06:44 PM
So anyone think the team will add a defensive tackle this week? I didn't pay attention to see if/when Muir played, how he played. But maybe a second DT will be necessary to rotate with Muir against Tennessee.

He looked solid to me when I saw him on the field.

RCAChainGang
10-19-2008, 06:47 PM

He was. I didn't see anything at fault.

Geo
10-19-2008, 06:48 PM
This is Tim Jennings's 3rd year, he shouldn't be making those stupid mistakes by now.
Jennings does have a tendency to commit a penalty, today's game partly excluded for obvious reasons. But much of it comes from playing very physical, against receivers and against the run, and is getting better in coverage from where he was. However, Dam is right, he needs to play smarter. Hopefully experience will help him reach that, although time may be running out.

He's better than Jason David though, I'd say.

Geo
10-19-2008, 06:50 PM
He was. I didn't see anything at fault.
Awesome, awesome. I know I spotted him early in the game, and he did some good things. Looked much better than LaJuan Ramsey, didn't he? I thought so, Muir can stick on the roster.

RCAChainGang
10-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Awesome, awesome. I know I spotted him early in the game, and he did some good things. Looked much better than LaJuan Ramsey, didn't he? I thought so, Muir can stick on the roster.

Yeah I would say he stays.

Dam8610
10-19-2008, 08:29 PM
He's better than Jason David though, I'd say.

Being a step above the worst starting CB in the Dungy Era isn't really an accomplishment.

MaxV
10-19-2008, 08:31 PM
This is just sad.

I'm not giving up, but I'm not overly optimistic about this year's team.

Dam8610
10-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Well, now next week determines what the Colts are playing for. Hopefully the team shows up with some actual effort.

TitleTown088
10-19-2008, 09:01 PM
1 Another missed FG by Vinatieri, although in the conditions and weather situation, hard to really pin on him.

The score sheet says Jolly blocked it. I thought it went through clean however.

Geo
10-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Obviously the offense needs to run the ball better, notice how the Colts' first successful drive today saw Rhodes effective on the ground. They need to run the ball better. I'd say that is probably the most important thing right now. I thought Rhodes ran up into the glut of linemen and tackles today, he was better off running just off tackle.

This upcoming Monday at Tennessee, the passing offense will have to get it done for the Colts to win. The Colts won't be able to run on them with much success, although if they can get it doing that would definitely help. The Colts need to run the ball better, but this is a tough match-up to do that. The receivers need to do a much better job of getting open, they've had difficulty in doing that this season thus far. Peyton needs to be great as well.

One thing I liked was how Peyton involved Rhodes in the passing game at times today, it was effective for the most part. Maybe a few short passes, even for four or five yards, can replace some lame rushes for 1 or 2 yards against the Titans.

Committing less penalties goes without saying. They can't afford to sabotage themselves either on offense or defense further. Penalties extend drives, and extended drives can affect the scoreboard.

Sniper
10-20-2008, 12:22 AM
What was it like watching Charles Woodson? Did the heavens part? Did the angels sing? Were there virgins popping out children?

Geo
10-20-2008, 12:24 AM
notice how the Colts' first successful drive today saw Rhodes effective on the ground.
Went to take a look at the play-by-play, and I forgot how run-dominated it actually was.

1-10/Indy 30: Manning to Clark for 9 yds
2-1/39: Rhodes for no gain
3-1/39: Rhodes for 9 yards + additional penalty yardage
1-10/GB 37: Manning incompletion
2-10/37: Rhodes for 6 yards
3-4/31: Manning to Wayne for 15 yards
1-10/16: Rhodes for 4 yards
2-6/12: Rhodes for 7 yards
1-5/5: Rhodes for 2 yards
2-3/3: Rhodes for 3 yards, touchdown

2 pass, 24 yards
7 run, 31 yards

The next drive is the one that ended with a 4th and 1 on the Indy 49-yd line, with Coach Dungy refusing to go for it and opting to instead punt (down 10-7). Which lead to a scoring drive by the opponents to make it 17-7. The first half was poor by Coach Dungy, I thought he also made another stupid decision when he didn't challenge a questionable catch by took a timeout at that very time instead. Baffling to say the least.

And then he didn't challenge a Reggie Wayne catch later on, another poor decision. He could have done a better job as well.

Dam8610
10-20-2008, 11:35 AM
What was it like watching Charles Woodson? Did the heavens part? Did the angels sing? Were there virgins popping out children?

No, mostly he just held and interfered with Reggie Wayne, because he couldn't cover him. Fortunately for him, his name is Charles Woodson, not Tim Jennings.

Sniper
10-20-2008, 01:21 PM
No, mostly he just held and interfered with Reggie Wayne, because he couldn't cover him. Fortunately for him, his name is Charles Woodson, not Tim Jennings.

NFLNetwork disagrees with you. I know the Colts and their WRs aren't big fans of contact, but you are allowed to press them. I know, don't tell Marvin.

RCAChainGang
10-20-2008, 01:22 PM
If we beat the titans we will be chasing from behind for division champs, but if we lose its time to start looking at the wildcard spots...

Geo
10-20-2008, 02:15 PM
1. Play smart. Colts in all three phases need to cut the mistakes and the penalties out. They can't afford to be stupid, they won't be fortunate to get a great jump on the teams ahead like they did the Ravens two weeks ago. Especially at Tennessee this Monday, the offense can't afford to move back and the defense can't afford to help out the Titans offense in any way. Play hard, but also play smart. The Titans defense is bound to commit a few penalties, but the Colts must not play uncharacteristically for another week. They must be sharp on the road.

2. Finding an effective running game. Obviously the Titans have a very good run defense, thanks to major cog in the middle in Albert Haynesworth. Like against Green Bay and their big guys in the middle in Jolly and Pickett, I think the Colts would be more successful running the ball just inside or outside the tackles. Vanden Bosh is recovering from injury and should definitely play this Monday, but if he's not at 100% hopefuly they can get some runs at him. Definitely try running at or near Kearse. But not too wide, a long stretch play, as the Titans have very active linebackers who can chase down the ball carrier. Just inside or outside the tackles, they had some success doing that in last year's game (especially Addai's touchdown) to help them pull out the win. Peyton can't give up on the running game as well, even some meager runs can create third and manageable at times.

3. Defense needs to swarm and tackle. They need to limit the big plays for sure, and especially try to limit Chris Johnson from breaking a big one as he is apt to do. Defenders need to get there and gang tackle, lay some licks to hopefully force some fumbles (especially Lendale White in this case). Hopefully they can tip a few balls so that Colts defensive backs can come up and get a pick or two. The Titans have a very good offensive line, so Freeney and Mathis are unlikely to get much pressure on the Collins (unless he holds onto the ball?), so they need to key on playing the run well. Freeney needs to stop going so wide so often, that was terrible last week. Stay inside a little more.

4. Receivers need to get open. Peyton has had to hit some extremely tight windows thus far this season, receivers need to do a better job of getting open. And maybe the playcalling can be a little better, maybe it's just me but we haven't seen much of any curl routes recently and that's something that Peyton and the receivers do some good jobs on. Some stacked receivers looks to help open up either an underneath route or downfield opportunity, plus that could help get one of the receivers unblocked. Keep finding the runningbacks in the passing game, that hasn't been a staple of the offense except for yesterday, except not on screens because the Colts are terrible on screens for whatever reason.

5. Efficiency and impact from the passing game. I don't think we'll see the Titans play two safety deep as they usually do, they will probably be a little more aggressive (if not a lot more) given that the Colts offense is much more inconsistent as usual. Colts will have to hit the deep balls whenever they can, they need the big plays. But the Titans won't give up much of anything cheap, so third down conversion will be key for the Colts. They need to move the chains, to sustain drives, even if the end result is only a field goal. They haven't even done that much, for the most part of this season.

Tough game against the Titans, bound to be very physical as it usually is. Hopefully the Colts can make enough plays and get enough breaks to get the road win, because if they can, that would be huge to build upon and rally off of.

UKfan
10-20-2008, 02:26 PM
The end of point 2 is crucial, and to see that, you don't need to look further than yesterday. Ryan Grant averaged 3.4 YPC or so, but how often did the Pack have 3rd and manageable? We need to keep running Dom, our own first TD was also made by the run game.

RCAChainGang
10-20-2008, 02:28 PM
The end of point 2 is crucial, and to see that, you don't need to look further than yesterday. Ryan Grant averaged 3.4 YPC or so, but how often did the Pack have 3rd and manageable? We need to keep running Dom, our own first TD was also made by the run game.

I like Dom in draws and stretches but not on dives. With Joe and Mike gone who els could step in. Do we have another back up?

-.-

Dam8610
10-20-2008, 07:59 PM
NFLNetwork disagrees with you. I know the Colts and their WRs aren't big fans of contact, but you are allowed to press them. I know, don't tell Marvin.

They can disagree with me all they want, when I see Charles Woodson horsecollar Reggie Wayne because Wayne flat out beat him in 3 yards, that tells me that's how Woodson "covered" Wayne.

Seamus2602
10-21-2008, 06:15 PM

Speaking of Tim Jennings, am I the only one who thinks that he should be fined his game check for the amount of costly penalties he gave a way. Giving away an unneccesay Pass Interference play that led to a Touchdown and then giving away a 1st down for making faces and signals at the Punt Team which led to them keeping the ball for another 4:30 minutes and led to a Field Goal cost us badly.

Also, I thought Manning was going to murder the Ref. There were four or five occassions where the Ref should have throwing the flag and didn't. Any hint of contact on a Green Bay player and the flag came out.

Geo
10-23-2008, 01:02 PM
I love when people say the Colts are showing their age.

That has to be one of the dumbest things to say. Who other than Marvin Harrison is showing his age? I'd love to know.

RCAChainGang
10-23-2008, 01:10 PM
I love when people say the Colts are showing their age.

That has to be one of the dumbest things to say. Who other than Marvin Harrison is showing his age? I'd love to know.

Exactly what I think.

We have a very young team.

MaxV
10-23-2008, 01:13 PM
HUGE game coming up.

We need the win badly.

Geo
10-23-2008, 01:41 PM
I expect it to be a very physical game as usual between these two teams, even if Bob Sanders doesn't play. Hopefully he'll start next week, if not against the Titans on Monday than at home against the Pats the following Sunday.

The Titans defense is going to hold the Colts offense down some, if the last four games are any indication (and I strongly believe them to be):

'07 Wk 17 @IND, Titans win 16-10.
'07 Wk 2 @TENN, Colts win 22-20.
'06 Wk 13 @TENN, Titans win 20-17.
'06 Wk 5 @IND, Colts win 14-13.

Granted in that last game, the Colts rested the starters after this first quarter or so. And in those two Colts' wins, the Titans had the ball with at least a minute and change, but they couldn't pull off a game-winning field goal like they did in the second game of '06.

So this is likely to be a close game as well, and if so, hopefully Vinatieri can be the one to kick the game-winner. Or better yet, hopefully it's not too close and the Colts can have a superb divisional performance on Monday night like they did at Jacksonville last year.

The Colts' defense keeping them to field goals when they are in scoring position is key. The scoring defense is statistically much worse than it actually is, thanks to all of the turnovers and pick sixes especially that the Colts' offense has given up.

RCAChainGang
10-23-2008, 02:22 PM
We just need to hold onto the ball longer.

That will solve a lot of problems.

Geo
10-23-2008, 10:10 PM
http://www.1070thefan.com/insider/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10011632

You can listen to the full audio of Coach Dungy's and Peyton's weekly Wednesday (Thursday this week) pressers at this blog.

TitanHope
10-23-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm greatly lookin' forward to this game guys. I hope Bob Sanders plays. He's my favorite non-Titan player in the league. It's an absolute thrill to watch him play.

As far as the game goes, I think it's gonna be close. After 4 years of getting our butt kicked by Manning, I won't be one to count out him and the offense that he leads. Reggie Wayne is the best WR in the league. He has everything you want in a WR, and has the consistent production to back it up. Plus, after seeing ya'll carve up Baltimore's DEF, I can't sit here and boast that our DEF will dominate.

Either way, I hope it's a good game, and that both teams will prove that they're among the best teams in the NFL no matter what outcome - The AFC South is still a division to reckon with. Good luck guys.

RCAChainGang
10-23-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm greatly lookin' forward to this game guys. I hope Bob Sanders plays. He's my favorite non-Titan player in the league. It's an absolute thrill to watch him play.

As far as the game goes, I think it's gonna be close. After 4 years of getting our butt kicked by Manning, I won't be one to count out him and the offense that he leads. Reggie Wayne is the best WR in the league. He has everything you want in a WR, and has the consistent production to back it up. Plus, after seeing ya'll carve up Baltimore's DEF, I can't sit here and boast that our DEF will dominate.

Either way, I hope it's a good game, and that both teams will prove that they're among the best teams in the NFL no matter what outcome - The AFC South is still a division to reckon with. Good luck guys.

I agree it is gonna be an awesome game!

Lets show the league the AFC South is the real deal either way!

chad72
10-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Dallas Clark has caught a TD in the last 2 games at Tennessee. Tony Gonzalez, in the Chiefs game, had ample open looks against the Titans in the previous game.

I do not see Anthony Gonzalez being a big factor in this game. I say we go with 2 TEs almost all the game with Santi and Clark for run support, pass rush support and taking the underneath routes.

Be patient with the run, use Dom Rhodes for at least 25 carries, and once the TEs start burning the LBs enough times, the Titans will be forced to play a safety or two up opening the one-on-one matchup for Wayne or Harrison outside.

On D, play swarming D, going for the ball and creating turnovers, the D should play with a chip on their shoulders for 60 min.:mad:

On the O-line, double team Haynesworth with our meanest rookie O-lineman Jamey Richard and Jeff Saturday, play with swagger and be physical with all the Titans' D-linemen, pancake them if necessary to get into their heads:) .

Watch out for some Jeff Fisher trickery as always, maybe a flea flicker when we put 8 in the box, or using VY like Tim Tebow, or using a wildcat formation with both CJ and Lendale White behind the center:o .

Geo
10-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Great post, Chad. I think I might disagree on Gonzalez not seeing a lot of looks, depending if the Colts offense takes an aggressive approach.

If he can line up wide to the left, he'll face Cortland Finnegan. And that leaves Vince Fuller covering Reggie Wayne in the slot. Fuller isn't a bad player now, Polian thinks he's very good in fact, but I think it's fair to say he's not as good as Finnegan who has developed into an exceptional starting corner (also helps that his defense and coaches lets him take a few gambles for big plays).

Obviously the best thing to do would be to line up Harrison to the left so that he could occupy Finnegan for the entire game, which would be a win for the Colts because Finnegan is better than Harrison. And that would leave either Wayne or Gonzalez able to attack Nick Harper out wide to the right. Unfortunately that won't happen, Harrison won't be benched or moved even though he's the fourth best receiving option on this team behind Wayne, Clark, and Gonzalez. Let's just hope he can beat Harper (cough, double moves, cough) soundly this Monday.

Clark deserves some looks too, as you noted, so maybe having all four guys on the field (Wayne, Clark, Gonzalez, and Harrison) could be the best way to attack the Titans. Although former Colts linebacker David Thornton does a solid job covering tight ends in his area, I remember both of Clark's touchdowns hitting down the field: first one was 25 yards or so near the right sideline, the Titans defense completely missed Clark; and the second was 17 yards or so right up the middle, hitting between both safeties. Great point that Clark missed the '06 loss, that slipped my mind.

So they might try to spread them out a little. Of course that isn't without risk against a great defense like the Titans have, the onus to keep Peyton as untouched as possible falls on the offensive line alone, without a lot of max protection calls. And maybe that is asking too much, so they'd have to otherwise bench Gonzalez in all likelihood to bring in a blocking tight end. I'm worried about Gijon Robinson however, because he's not that good of a blocker I don't think and he has a bad habit of committing holding. The Colts offense can't afford too many penalties.

Dom Rhodes might stay in and provide an additional pass protector if need be. And one would hope having all four guys running routes (plus maybe Dom Rhodes as a receiving option occassionally) would allow Peyton to find an open receiver quick enough to deliver the ball to him, before the pressure can get to him.

It will be interesting to see how the Titans would respond to an aggressive offensive approach such as that, if they decide to bring some additional pressure in the absence of max/additional pass protection, or decide to play more coverage and leave their front four to try and generate the pressure. I would think the latter, that is more their thing - forcing Peyton and the offense to successfully complete one challenging play after another, without making a mistake.

From what I saw of Javon Kearse in Philadelphia, he's a far cry from the pass rusher he once was. So I would hope that Ryan Diem, even though he's not exactly playing at a Pro Bowl level himself, can play him well one-on-one. Kyle Vanden Bosch will definitely play, although by his own admission might still not be 100 percent, so one would also hope either Tony Ugoh or Charlie Johnson can play him well (I think Ugoh returns as a starter this Monday). so that would leave Saturday and the two rookie guards Pollak and Richard against Haynesworth and their 3 tech, hopefully these three guys can do a great job in the interior.

I thought the Titans hurt themselves a bit, in the short-term at least, by losing Laboy and Odom in free agency this past summer. Now I don't blame the Titans for not re-signing either player, they weren't paid chump change by the Cardinals and Bengals respectively. Those were active guys who made up a very solid rotation, and let's hope their loss is noticably felt this Monday if the Colts' offensive line can play well to keep Peyton protected and also do some good things in the running game too.

RCAChainGang
10-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Injury report if you guys want to check it out. Doesn't have Friday's practice on it though.

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=injuryreport

Joseph Addai-Hamstring
Dwight Freeney-Rested
Roy Hall-Knee
Kelvin Hayden-Knee
Marlin Jackson-Shoulder
Robert Mathis-Rested
Daniel Muir-Ill
Bob Sanders-Knee

I'm a little worried as to why these guys aren't practicing. I hope these injuries on our corners are tiny ones and that they will be practicing today.

Mathis and Freeney have to have good plays against the run as well as the pass. This isn't like the past games where all they had to turn to was Chris Brown or Lendale White. I expect to see a large dose of Chris Johnson off tackle.

I'm not worried about the passing game, except for Bo Scaife who is probably the best guy for the Titans to go to leading in passing yards and receptions.

Our Oline has to play very well this week. We have to be able to keep Haynesworth out of the backfield and off Manning. Double teaming him will be something we do. Like Geo said Kearse isn't a huge threat and Vanden Bosch has missed practice with a groin injury.

We have to be able to run the ball with Dominic Rhodes. The most effective way of doing this is to use him off tackle and on draws. I have seen him take a few runs out of the shotgun that was effective.

Our best matchup this week is our wideouts against their dbs. If we can line up Reggie in the slot then he will get some great matchups like in past weeks.

Seamus2602
10-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Does anyone know if and when Ryan Lilja will be taken off the PUP list?

RCAChainGang
10-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Does anyone know if and when Ryan Lilja will be taken off the PUP list?

I looked on the depth chart and he wasn't on there.

Not sure though.

Geo
10-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Colts have three weeks after Week 6 to either activate him (so he can begin practicing) or place him on injured reserve, so there's still some time left. Of course they would have to free up a roster spot for him once they activate him.

Maybe they are getting Tyjuan Hagler back fully so they can release one of their young depth linebackers. Or getting closer to Kelvin Hayden returning (hopefully the Steelers game?), to maybe release Nick Graham.

I read somewhere on the Indystar blog that the main blogger thought they might release Lilja after this season, which is incredibly stupid. The team just signed him long-term this past summer, and he's more than capable when he can play. He might even follow Saturday at center next season.

Geo
10-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Injury report if you guys want to check it out. Doesn't have Friday's practice on it though.

Joseph Addai-Hamstring
Dwight Freeney-Rested
Roy Hall-Knee
Kelvin Hayden-Knee
Marlin Jackson-Shoulder
Robert Mathis-Rested
Daniel Muir-Ill
Bob Sanders-Knee

I'm a little worried as to why these guys aren't practicing. I hope these injuries on our corners are tiny ones and that they will be practicing today.
The Friday report is out.

Rested guys like Freeney and Mathis aren't listed. Btw I don't have any problem whatsoever with Coach Dungy giving Freeney and Mathis the middle practice off to rest. Those guys are speed demons and it's a long season, just a little help to keep them fresher.

As for Hayden, he just had knee surgery last week I think. Torn meniscus repair I believe it was. I'm sure like everyone else, I really thought Hayden was looking at IR for the rest of his season, so I'm glad he's okay and might come back in however many weeks it will be. He told the Indystar blogger he's hopeful for next week, but that is likely pushing it. Hopefully the Steelers game, probably afterwards.

Marlin Jackson is a physical guy and gets dinged up because of it, but like earlier this season, more often than not he still plays. Hasn't played his best football the last few weeks though. The site says he fully practiced on Friday.

Muir isn't listed, so hopefully the illness he's dealing with is something he'll overcome for the most part by Monday. I'm going to try and keep an eye out for him, he could be invaluable against Tennessee.

Also, Jacob Tamme didn't practice Friday and is listed for his knee. He was probably inactive anways, but best of luck in his recovery too.

RCAChainGang
10-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Yes I beleive Muir just had something like a stomach virus like myself. :/

Geo
10-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Big game an hour away.

I thought I heard Chris Berman say that Kyle Vanden Bosch is inactive, can anyone confirm if they heard this too? That might help the Colts a bit, he's a very good player to have to deal with.

Best of luck to the Colts tonight, hopefully they come out with a win and as healthy as possible.

Geo
10-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Update, Vanden Bosch is indeed inactive.

No big surprises for the Colts with Sanders, Hayden, and Addai inactive/out.

MaxV
10-27-2008, 08:56 PM
This is so frustrating.

This offense HAS to do a better job.

Geo
10-27-2008, 09:12 PM
1. Good job by the defense hitting their gaps and making the first tackle when possible. Clint Session looking really good tonight, which is a bit ironic with former Colts SLB David Thornton playing for the Titans. Both safeties in Bullitt and Bethea are looking good.

2. Unfortunately the Colts missed out on three potential turnovers, the first a Chris Johnson fumble thanks to a bad call by the refs (not sure if Coach Dungy could challenge it, if the Colts weren't established as recovering - again, missed call by the officials unfortunately). Then Session had a pass deflection slip through his fingers, and a similar situation for Dante Hughes near the end of the half. The turnovers are elusive, but the Colts' defense needs to keep at it and they will come.

3. Offensive line doing a good job with a few misses. Tony Ugoh had one bad play in particular but Peyton bailed him out moving out of the pocket and hitting Regge across the middle. Peyton missed some completions just being a little off, but he's made some big plays finding receivers and delivering the ball. The interception was his fault, he got greedy and made a bad decision - Reggie was covered. But Peyton had been patient after that, which is good.

4. Colts are running the ball well, with a few bad plays. Negative plays are drive-killers for the Colts, however. So if they can just focus and execute positive plays, being patient again, that will bode well.

5. Pierre Garcon let a ball go over his head and it unfortunately cost the Colts yardage, but he's done very well imo otherwise. Hopefully he continues to return the ball well starting with the second half. Hunter Smith has done very well punting the ball as well.

MaxV
10-27-2008, 10:08 PM
Why are they continue to DO THIS???!!!!

Why are they running the ball on 2nd-and-10 ALL THE TIME?!

3rd-and-3 and Manning throws to covered Wayne.

JUST PICK UP THE FIRST DOWN!

BE PATIENT!

MaxV
10-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Yeap, and now we only have 1 timeout left.

GREAT JOB!

MaxV
10-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Forget it!

I hope we get someone good in next year's draft.

I give up.

I've never seen so much stupidity. The offensive play-calling in this game was IDIOTIC for the Colts.

MaxV
10-27-2008, 10:25 PM
That's a SHOCKER!

Geo
10-27-2008, 10:54 PM
First off, congrats to the Titans on their home MNF win. They've built themselves an awesome lead in the division, as their schedule gets tougher. Now to the Colts:

Pretty much the same old, same old for this season.

1. Just when you think Peyton is back to himself, you're reminded he's not as good this season as he has been the last 5 seasons. Hey stupid moron, be patient and stop trying to go deep against the Titans who don't give up deep balls, when you need every yard to move the chains against them. Look for your runningbacks in the receiving game more before garbage time, and stop staring down a receiver for almost the whole play (Gonzalez was open on that 4th and 3). And for the love of all, don't waste a play going to Marvin Harrison.

2. Worthless waste of space Harrison, I can't wait until this offseason so the Colts can cut you and give more plays to Gonzalez and Garcon. Issac Bruce > you. If only Coach Dungy and the rest of the staff weren't too nice to bench your sorry behind.

3. Run defense was great for the most part, the Colts aren't really built for goal-line stands. But the pass defense hasn't actually been too hot this season and it showed today (actually you could say it extends back to last year), not when the defensive line doesn't make contact. What is the same old this season is that the defense couldn't get off the field on third downs. Although the offense gave the Titans two possessions via turnover on downs. The Colts defense had four turnovers they could have had, but didn't come down with.

4. Coach Dungy's decision to go for it on 4th and 1 on the 50, while possibly rewarded for being aggressive, is more stupid imo. If you do go for it on 4th and 1 against the Titans, you don't wait a while to decide that, either go for it immediately before their defense gets a little breather or punt the ball. I'm getting sick of Dungy being a bonehead on 4th and 1. And one could argue that play changed the momentum of the game, at least it gave the Titans a short field which they used to take the lead with a FG. A lead they then never gave up.

5. Colts can still win a wild card spot imo, with the rest of their schedule. And today proved in a very cold outdoor game that they could play with their divisional rivals Titans in a physical game. Colts played them very well, better than most expected I think. But they blew it with some stupid mistakes in the last third of the game or so.

Peyton needs to stop being occassionally stupid, be more patient hopefully, at least there is improvement there. Nothing can be done about Harrison, Coach Dungy won't bench him unfortunately. According to the MNF announcers, FWIW, they said Polian told them Addai and Sanders will be back next week (hopefully that means the New England game).

My guess is both are back for the Pats game, which I think the Colts have a very good chance of winning with the Indy pass offense attacking the New England pass defense. Of course the Colts let Kerry Collins pass all over them tonight, so there is some element of concern I suppose.

PS. I have dubbed Chad Simpson with the nickname "Counter Strike." ;)

TitanHope
10-27-2008, 10:59 PM
I just wanted to say good game guys. Titans definitely had things bounce their way throughout the game, especially with dropped INT's and fumbles (Though I believe Alge Crumpler recovered the CJ fumble in the 1st Half, which is why Dungy probably didn't challenge it). I thought ya'll played well though, particularly after considering the key injuries and playing at a division rival's stadium on MNF.

I'm glad the game was this week when Sanders and Addai were out, cause they're difference makers. Good luck on the rest of the season guys, and I look forward to the matchup WK 17.

Geo
10-28-2008, 01:48 AM
Thank, TH. That was a good game as usual.

Just to focus on some positives:

- Dom Rhodes looking good for the most part, no need to rush Joseph Addai back I think. I like how Dom kept chugging his legs all night, trying to get additional yardage. He ran the ball well against the Titans, there were some times he was caught behind the LOS but there's not much to do when the guy is on him already. He caught the ball well too, promising rookie Chris Johnson could take notes on the vet.

- First time we really saw Chad "Counter Strike" (:)) Simpson with the first string offense, in a legit situation, and he looked really good. Might be the guy to bring in on 3rd and shorts for Dom, with his speed, as he converted a 4th down in this game with some nifty running.

- Dallas Clark, Weapon X (hey maybe I have a thing for nicknames. And yes, I do cross my arms and say Weapon X when he makes a play, lol. When I am alone watching the game that is), did great other than that awful non-catch near the end which led to Hope's second interception. Four touchdowns in his last three games against the Titans now.

- Pierre Garcon was awesome as the Colts' return man imo. I dig this young guy so much, especially that he embraced the Monday night stage like he did. Very promising sign for a rookie imo.

- Second week in a row we saw Clark's catches/targets increase, but Reggie Wayne's catches/targets decrease. Will be great in the future when Wayne, Clark, and Gonzalez line-up together at once every play, as we saw glimpses of in 2007. With Garcon in occassionally too.

- Clint Session went from being a disappointing liability to being a stand-out player for the right reasons. Let's give Coach Dungy some love, he didn't give up on the young player playing at a new position, and it doesn't look like Session should benched at all now. I'd much sooner bench Freddy Keiaho, I'm disappointed in him right now, although I would probably not bench any of the starting three linebackers. Session had an interception he let slip through his hands though tonight, big bummer that was.

- Gary Brackett is looking like a guy the Colts might re-sign, which says a lot. He made major plays to start off the game, helping set the tone against the Titans' running game. It's just that the Colts shouldn't bring him on the blitz, that's stupid because: (A) Brackett isn't the fastest straightline linebacker; and (B) his game is coverage, why not let him do that on third downs? The Colts' coaches need to bring in Marcus Howard, Curtis Johnson, or Robert Mathis in as a blitzing SLB imo instead. Or blitz Tyjuan Hagler instead, he's faster.

- Disappointing loss, it probably means the division, but the Colts can still make the playoffs! Give them a chance. If they play as well as they did tonight, playing smart and executing without penalties, they will win their share of games. But they can't waste any time to do that, they need to start this Sunday night against the Patriots.

Geo
10-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Steve Young said after the game that he thinks Peyton isn't fully healthy, with obvious regard to his knee. I'm not sure I buy that, but his deep ball and even some moderate passes have been off for the most part this season so maybe there could be something to that. As much as I hate Harrison, even I can admit he can't do anything if Peyton underthrows him on some deeper routes. More often than not, Peyton isn't his accurate self down the field.

It's interesting, maybe the media is looking for an excuse for him, but given the source and the evidence thus far, I can't say it's completely without merit. And to be fair to Peyton, the team is asking of him to throw in some tight windows most of the time, last night it seemed he did a pretty good job for the most part of hitting his receivers when the window wasn't so tight. But he missed some big plays because he was off on some throws, including three potential touchdowns.

chad72
10-28-2008, 10:05 AM
- Dallas Clark, Weapon X (hey maybe I have a thing for nicknames. And yes, I do cross my arms and say Weapon X when he makes a play, lol. When I am alone watching the game that is), did great other than that awful non-catch near the end which led to Hope's second interception. Four touchdowns in his last three games against the Titans now.

I had specified in a post earlier that our TEs will be a big factor to attacking the Titans and lo behold, DC goes for 2 TDs. :)

Also, when it is a 4th & inches (not truly 4th & 1), you don't give too much time for that Titans D to get set plus Manning with a QB scramble has a greater chance for success (ala Brady that we have seen go for 4th & 1 umpteen times) than using an RB with no FB support, IMO. There should be an element of surprise.

Geo
10-28-2008, 10:11 AM
I just hated so much that they waited on that 4th down. Don't give them a moment to rest up and prepare for one last push, get them quick while they are still reeling a bit.

If the Colts were to go for it, Coach Dungy needed to make a split-second green light for it. Otherwise, just punt the ball and try to pin them in their ten again.

Hunter Smith punted the ball very well last night, I thought, this looks to be his best season in years maybe.

Still gushing about Garcon, he helped set up the Colts' touchdowns with his returns and also got some great field positon at other times. Had the one punt over his head, but that was his only mistake. He has a little swagger and I like it. He can maul guys as a run blocker, just wait until his time comes.

chad72
10-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Still gushing about Garcon, he helped set up the Colts' touchdowns with his returns and also got some great field positon at other times. Had the one punt over his head, but that was his only mistake. He has a little swagger and I like it. He can maul guys as a run blocker, just wait until his time comes.

I know a rookie WR mastering the playbook is the exception as opposed to the norm. It just shows you Gonzo is a quick learner. But if we can get some basic routes for Garcon to showcase his talents, maybe with a 2 TD lead in a game or something, that would be nice.

And like you have been saying, reduce Marvin's role for Gonzo's sake. It will make both WRs be efficient. With Marvin, DB's know his tendencies and the routes he tends to run, it seems like with losing a step, the separation has reduced with Marvin for his comeback or stutter step routes. With Gonzo, we can have an element of surprise. DBs expect Peyton to go to Marvin on a critical play. If he goes to Gonzo instead of Wayne when Marvin is not on the field, there is your element of surprise. Peyton should start trusting Gonzo more.

Geo
10-28-2008, 10:59 AM
I don't expect Harrison to be benched at any time this season, as much as I would like to see it. Unfortunately that won't happen, I don't think.

Also, I didn't pay too much attention to him, but Gijon Robinson migh have played a good game yesterday. He was definitely in on some plays, in the 2-TE set. I recall Peyton targeting him for in the end zone once, I wish ESPN could have shown that play from another just to see if Robinson had the chance to catch it or not. Hard to tell from the one-time angle.

Geo
10-28-2008, 03:08 PM
BBD had that interesting comment in his Week 8 thoughts, and this was my response in a PM. Thought I should post it here:

Man, I feel this a lot. A LOT.

It really feels like the Colts have to win on personnel alone imo. And that's insane, especially as the rest of the division drafts better and gets better. That they don't match-up or devise anything for their opponents that week, they might tweak a thing here and there like more 3 WRs than 2 TEs and that basic stuff.

I can understand maybe the defense, because of the youth involved. Although this generous zone **** is really wearing thin, opponents can pass on the Colts all day. You can't blame the corners if the coaches make them play with too big of a cushion. Let them play closer and take the risk of getting beat a little more, better than letting them convert one third down after another. The defensive line can only get there so fast against a quality team.

Offensively however, there's no excuse. This is a veteran offense, with a veteran quarterback and veteran receivers. Switch Harrison to the left and Wayne to the right some. Do more stacked looks, to try and confuse the opponent. Stop the generalized **** and get creative.

One thing both Tom Moore and Coach Dungy have going for them is that finding better coaches is hardly a given. I'd dump for sure if I could get a better coach in either case. Much more sick of Moore than Dungy though.

And unfortunately, the franchise has already selected Jim Caldwell as the next head coach. Maybe he works out, but I'm dreading the move a bit. The guy wasn't even close to .500 a decade ago at Wake Forest. Then again as the HC, he'll mostly delegate. The offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator need to handle business, and the Colts need to do better.

Colts' DC Ron Meeks doesn't strike me as anything special or even good, although I wonder how much of a rein he really has. How much is Dungy telling him what to do. And the guy isn't in charge of personnel.

UKfan
10-30-2008, 12:52 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-colts-injuries&prov=ap&type=lgns

Marlin Jackson may be out for the season after injuring a knee in practice, not good.

MaxV
10-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Oh man, what the heck is going on this season?

We are snake beaten.

Geo
10-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Blast it, let's just hope it's not season-ending as turned out to be the case for Hayden. Crap. I thought Jackson didn't even practice Wednesday?

Geo
10-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Per Adam Schefter: (http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/10/30/another-big-loss-for-colts/)

Starting cornerback Marlin Jackson suffered a season-ending injury at Wednesday’s practice, tearing his anterior cruciate ligament as well as meniscus cartilage that will require at least one surgery and possibly two, a league source said.
Cripes. Best wishes to as quick a full recovery as possible for Marlin. I hope he's okay for next season.

Similar, but a little additional stuff: (http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2008/10/jackson_out.html)
Jackson out
October 30, 2008

The freak accidents just keep on coming. Colts coach Tony Dungy confirmed early this afternoon that CB Marlin Jackson suffered "significant" damage to his right knee in Monday practice, enough to require surgery. Then he uttered the two letters players, teams and fans don't want to hear:

"Most likely I.R."

He repeated the season-ending injured reserve statement later, saying, "more than likely on I.R."

What a blow. The Colts get Kelvin Hayden back and Jackson is done. Dungy alluded to bringing in another cornerback, perhaps Keiwan Ratliff, who has been cut twice this season in roster moves necessitated by needing to bolster other positions.

In case anyone hasn't had their fill of sighs, Dungy said RB Joseph Addai is probably not yet 100 percent, but made it through practice yesterday. That suggests we may still see more of Dominic Rhodes on Sunday, which IMHO, isn't such a bad thing.

On a positive note, and I'll get to this later, S Bob Sanders was in the locker room and pronounced, "I'm ready."

MaxV
10-30-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm not giving up yet, but to be honest, with so much that has happend, I just don't see us taking the title this year.

I hope I'm wrong.

Geo
10-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Maybe it's naive, but I still think the Colts have a shot. Even as a wild card team, if they get hot down the stretch and are right heading into the playoffs. But of course they need to get into the playoffs first, and that starts this Sunday against the Patriots. They have to win this game and I like their chances of doing that at home.

Two keys to the game, highlighted by the return of the heart and soul to each side of the ball:

http://a.bebo.com/app-image/6897987742/5411656627/PROFILE/i.yaquiz.com/img/q/u/08/04/13/Peyton_Manning.jpg

Peyton isn't the full Peyton we've been lucky to witness the last number of years, his decision-making and accuracy have been a touch shody however he's shown improvement as the season has progressed. The Colts' offense has scored 35 total points in this 0-2 road trip, but playing back at home against the Patriots' pass defense, they need to light it up and could very well get 35 points in the game. The Patriots did a good job on Dallas Clark in last November's match-up, thanks partly to Rodney Harrison who is now out for the season, so hopefully Clark can keep coming up with big plays like he did last week. And Reggie Wayne has had two consecutive weeks of meager production, so expect him to get back in a big way I think.

http://images.athlonsports.com/d/6901-1/Bob+Sanders.jpg

The return of the king, Sanders' return alone could add an emotional spark to this defense. And if Matt Cassel is going to hang onto the ball, the defensive line needs to physically introduce themselves to him. Obviously Welker and Moss, and Faulk for that matter are guys to contend with as they can still do things with the ball in their hands, so the defense needs to keep an eye on them at all times even if Tom Brady isn't playing.

RCAChainGang
10-31-2008, 12:04 AM
How 'bout Gary Brackett in the Colts game? He is a very good MLB. I have grown to appreciate him more and more.

RCAChainGang
10-31-2008, 12:06 AM
One of the bittersweet things about Marlin's injury is that Jennings will recieve some more experience and I would love to see Dante Hughes.

Geo
10-31-2008, 01:02 AM
Confirmed, I was going to say something similar. Dante Hughes aka The Future will now take the stage.

Also, Coach Dungy is no longer allowed to be on any more EA Sports games for as long as he is employed by the Colts. Bad move, Coach.

RCAChainGang
11-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Confirmed, I was going to say something similar. Dante Hughes aka The Future will now take the stage.

Also, Coach Dungy is no longer allowed to be on any more EA Sports games for as long as he is employed by the Colts. Bad move, Coach.

What did he do?

UKfan
11-01-2008, 05:43 AM
What did he do?

He was on the cover of that Head Coach game. I think Geo is implying could be a new curse, a la the Madden Curse. Dungy hasn't done anything wrong so far as I know.

Geo
11-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Yes, Coach Dungy is on the cover of NFL Head Coach '09.

Bill Cowher was on the cover of the first NFL Head Coach game, which was released in time for the 2006 season. His last season with the Steelers, after their Super Bowl win, in which they were beset by injuries - including the QB (Roethlisberger's motorcycle accident) - and ultimately missed the playoffs with an 8-8 record.

Very much hoping that isn't the final result for this year's Colts.

No EA covers for any Colts players and coaches I guess we need to add, the team needs to be unselfish enough to not bring that bad mugumbo onto the team.

Geo
11-01-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm a little worried about Reggie Wayne having limited practice on Friday only, listed as questionable, and being reportedly be a game-time decision.

I remember him missing a play for the Titans game because he was dinged up, maybe that was the knee injury in question, although he came back into the game afterwards (was he as effective?). So hopefully being rested a bit on this short week can help him play well this Sunday night.

Dam8610
11-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Colts' DC Ron Meeks doesn't strike me as anything special or even good, although I wonder how much of a rein he really has. How much is Dungy telling him what to do. And the guy isn't in charge of personnel.

I REALLY wish the Colts had offered Leslie Frazier the DC job after the Super Bowl win. The progress he made with the DBs in 2 years was amazing, and coming from Buddy Ryan's 46, he might have been able to add some wrinkles to this defense to make it unique. Maybe after the season, he'll agree to the lateral move to come back? The Colts seemingly have a lot more to offer in the way of DBs and pass coverage ability than the Vikings do.

Geo
11-01-2008, 06:36 PM
I'd love for him to rejoin the franchise, but I think Frazier could be coming up as a head coaching candidate. Maybe even soon.

MaxV
11-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Bob should've knocked it down. Did you guys see how high he jumped?

Oh and BTW, WHERE IS THE RUN-BLOCKING?!

MaxV
11-02-2008, 10:05 PM
We'll take the win, although it was FAR from a great performance.

Geo
11-03-2008, 12:01 AM
1. The defense is abysmal on third downs. 3rd and 7s, 3rd and 8s? Pathetic. I'm hesitant to even think the word "playoffs" given how downright terrible they are. And this has been a consistent, disappointing pattern that has snuck in since last season.

2. However the Colts only came into this game with all of three cornerbacks active, and those three were Tim Jennings, Keiwan Ratliff, and Nick Graham. Somehow, some way, Welker and Moss didn't go off which is a credit to the defense. And they did hold the Patriots to 15 total points, which on scoring alone is pretty good. It's just that unlike a stout defense only giving up 15 points, this defense gives the offense much less possessions to work with, basically asking the franchise in Peyton to be perfect like in 2006.

3. And Peyton was indeed perfect tonight, basically having to be because the offense can't run the ball with much success for much of this year's schedule. There might have been two or three things he might have done perfectly, but he lead the team to victory for sure. Very sharp tonight. Although credit to the offensive line and Tom Moore too, I thought the OL pass protected very very well and Moore playcalled and devised his best game so far this season.

4. Anthony Gonzalez had two great touchdown catches, plus another huge first down catch that I believe helped set up the game-winning FG. Reggie Wayne was awesome, and Dallas Clark did very well. Marvin Harrison isn't worth the trouble, tonight is yet another example why Peyton needs to look for the real players in Wayne, Clark, and Gonzalez. Plus occassionally Addai or Rhodes out of the backfield, to get some good yards then. And why I don't think the Colts need to spend their first round pick on a wide receiver, they have the headliners and just need to surround them with the right complementary pieces which they could already have.

5. Stupid stat about 50-yarders and Vinatieri brought up by NBC tonight. Hey retards, stop overlooking the kicks he made at Baltimore in the '06 playoff run. Plus there's the 47-yarder he boomed with probably ten yards to spare in the '07 Chargers playoff game this past January. It's the idiots who don't have a clue that call for Vinny's head, law of averages being what they are for the regular season.

RCAChainGang
11-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Well I am surprised at our defensive play. We didn't look good against the run, but keep in mind that we had Bob Snaders out wide doubling Moss or Welker. Wich brings me to congradulating the Colts for not giving up any big plays. I think it was Bethea who didn't pick up Jabar Gaffney in the zone coverage, but he dropped it anyways. Good win and as long as it was a win we will keep growing off of it.

In other good news Roethlisberger might not play in the Steelers game and we might be able to rattle Byron Leftwich wich we have done countless years before. This will be a big test for us to see if we can stop the run. We are even since there Rbs are all injured. We should be fine against the Steelers I predict a win. It will be a challenge to get a run game going.

By thw way what is wrong with our run game? I noticed our line was healthy and so was Addai. Really no excuses there. Why can't we run the ball?

Geo
11-06-2008, 12:17 PM
So, thoughts on this week's game?

It's fair to think that the Steelers will shut down the Colts' running game, but hopefully they can get a decent thing going. The average will be terrible, but a little production to help the Colts get into manageable downs and to keep their defense honest could help. Obviously the key on offense is for the passing attack to create some plays, although the Colts will probably use a lot of 2-TE set to protect Manning.

Personally I don't expect Roethlisberger to play, that could be wrong but I just don't expect him to play when he couldn't even raise his arm/shoulder in the second half of the MNF game. Plus he's an important part of the Steelers' plans, so they may not risk him for this game. But he could very well play, especially if this is a reaggravation/pre-existing injury that he's been playing with.

Hopefully whoever is at quarterback, a dinged up Roethlisberger or Byron Leftwich, can be made to be a favorable factor for the Colts. The defense needs to create turnovers, to limit the Steelers' scoring opportunities as well as give the Colts' offense more scoring opportunities. Defense needs to create turnovers, and of course play well in general as can be imagined. I would hope the defensive line comes up in a big way this game and gets to the quarterback, but they haven't done that this season against quality opponents and of course it doesn't help when the quarterback doesn't have to hold onto the ball long.

Special teams, this would be a great week for Pierre Garcon to score a TD. The Colts could really use some big plays in that phase of the game, given the difficulty the offense will face. I'll admit that I'm more hopeful than anything going into this game, hopeful that they can somehow come out of Pittsburgh with their second win in as many weeks.

And of course that they come out as healthy as possible, Kelvin Hayden probably won't be back for this game but Dante Hughes might.

chad72
11-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Couldn't help but notice that the Redskins' best WR was Chris Cooley with 78 yards. Checkdowns to RBs and Dallas Clark is what is going to keep our chains moving against the Steelers. Dallas Clark is key to keeping Polamalu occupied since I do not think their LBs can keep up with Dallas Clark. If Polamalu is not free to roam, then we have an advantage right away. If he continues to roam, we have to make them pay with DC, just like Eli Manning made some key passes to Steve Smith in the Steelers game. Let us not forget Eli threw the winning TD to Kevin Boss, his TE, in the Steelers game that the Giants won. Ultimately, our D needs to give Peyton enough possessions and our O-line should protect him well enough (1-2 sacks is OK but not more than that, IMO) for all of this to work.

Pretty soon, we will have a one-on-one match up for our WRs and we can take some shots. I'd say go with 3 WRs and 1 TE almost all the time to use the TE for pass protection along with the RB. And use the TE for the checkdowns just like the RBs every now and then. The 2 TE formation was more effective against the Titans because they do not blitz as much and you can run better against them than against the Steelers. If you are not going to be running much against the Steelers, make them pay with the TE for blitzing too much or keep them honest with 3 WRs.

People keep bringing up Dallas Clark's contract but it is because of his key role in causing mismatches with LBs and sometimes safeties that we led the league in 3rd down conversions last year and key first downs in the SB winning playoff run especially when we play top notch Ds like the Titans and Steelers, which we will run into if we make the playoffs.

Geo
11-07-2008, 11:40 AM
A local report or two is saying that Willie Parker is out for this game.

Can't say this does anything for me though, Mewelde Moore imo is as good if not better than Parker. He's a tougher match-up for the Colts anyways, because he's better inside the tackles and is much more versed as a receiver, including screens and draws.

Colts' defensive line really needs to step up and wreck some havoc in this game with their quickness. Come on, guys.

RCAChainGang
11-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Oh my god. I love you Dom!

Geo
11-09-2008, 06:35 PM
What a win, what a win, what a win. So awesome.

The Colts were lucky at times today for sure, but they (and all of us fans) will gladly take any and all lucky breaks they can get.

Dam8610
11-09-2008, 07:31 PM
What a win, what a win, what a win. So awesome.

The Colts were lucky at times today for sure, but they (and all of us fans) will gladly take any and all lucky breaks they can get.

Geo, for the first time today, I have come over to your side on the Marvin Harrison issue. Marvin is pulling T.O.s now (dropping easy TDs), he's not worth $13 million and frankly, I'm not sure if he's even worth keeping on the team. That said, I'd like the team to keep him, he is a hall of famer who has played his whole career here, but I would want them to keep him at a very discounted price.

MaxV
11-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Great win. The D stepped up big-time.

I'm sure Scotty loved that stop by Foster on 3rd-and-goal. GREAT play.

It looks like Peyton is getting his rhythm back, although his comp. % wasn't great.

I know that we were playing the best run-defense in the NFL, but our run-blocking continues to be TERRIBLE. We need Lilja back, soon.

Geo
11-09-2008, 11:45 PM
1. Sign Keiwan Ratliff and Tim Jennings to five-year contracts, they can play. And of course, sign super alpha male Eric Foster to a ten-year contract. Eric Foster and positional bust factor are why first round defensive tackles are overrrated. That third down goal-line play by Foster was so awesome, he split the double team and made the stop.

2. Peyton wasn't as patient as I would have liked, but he really made some throws down the field. I like that he looked for the RB at times, although still not enough for my liking. The Reggie Wayne TD was a major stroke of luck, no doubt, but the Clark TD was sharp (nice catch, Iowa) and the TD to Rhodes was a thing of beauty. And Peyton would have had a better day if Dead Weight 88 wasn't so useless.

*Re: Dead Weight 88, I've said what I've had to say about him other than adding my new nickname for him. His eight figure cap charge this season bothers me, especially when that money could be used on Kelvin Hayden and some other young guys, but I could let it pass because who really knew before the season he'd be like this. It's the fact that he is actually hurting this team by being on the field. Can he still play? Likely he could. Is it worth it for the team to find out? No thanks whatsoever imo.

3. Dwight Freeney had two big sacks today, well done. I thought the defensive line did some good things at times today, beyond just Freeney and that one play by Foster. Antonio Johnson played, and seemed to do a pretty good job making up for the absence of Daniel Muir. I'm excited to see how Johnson does with more reps.

4. Special teams coverage is much better than last year, but they need to cut the penalties out. Nick Graham with two penalties on the first two Steelers possessions, come on. Colts didn't commit too many penalties today thankfully, Ryan Diem had his guaranteed penalty of course, but I think they might not have committed a penalty in the entire second half (5 in the first half though).

5. Speaking of the offensive line, Mike Pollak was absolutely terrible from what I saw of him today. And the rest probably didn't fare too better at limited times against a very potent Steelers defense. Very disappointing, and hopefully the rookie bounces back. I did think the Colts got some good runs in a few times, both Addai and Rhodes. A few times, and both guys pass protected very well plus helped move the chain through the air as well. I know Dom has the better statistics right now and the general Colts masses might be pulling for him, but I thought Joe did some very good things today and look forward to him having a big day next week against his hometown Texans as he usually does.

Geo
11-10-2008, 01:54 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-harrisonstruggling110908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

If only Coach Dungy would bench him for Gonzalez. Unfortunately I don't expect that to happen, sigh.

RCAChainGang
11-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Yeah, I was so happy for Jennings to reedeem himself get some Dam!!!!! :) Jk

MaxV
11-10-2008, 10:17 PM
EDIT: Colts.com sucks

Geo
11-10-2008, 11:38 PM
That can't be right, no way.

Check out the Colts' team stats at NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/teams/indianapoliscolts/statistics?team=IND), they look correct.

They have Dom with a long of 38 (the run against Baltimore), Addai with a long of 15 (the run before the game-winning Wayne TD at Houston?).

MaxV
11-11-2008, 08:22 AM
I knew there was something wrong with that. They have Chad Simpson's ypc at 4.0, yet they have his longest run at 3 yards.

With that being said, our run-blocking is terrible.

I know you guys keep defending Charlie Johnson, and he is athletic, but he is not a good run-blocker.

Geo
11-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Was Johnson failing as a pulling guard? I saw that once or twice, but I never pay enough attention to the OL when watching the game. Regular run-blocking, I can also believe he's nothing to write home about. At least he's valuable as a swing tackle/depth guard, that versatility helps.

I know Pollak was failing badly in just about every facet to start the game, maybe/hopefully he got better as the game went on.

MaxV
11-11-2008, 09:07 PM
So far the rookies aren't impressing.

I still think Wheeler will be good and I like Garcon.

I didn't like the Pollak pick then, I still don't. Hopefully he develops and proves me wrong.

I wish Howard would get more playing time.

Geo
11-12-2008, 08:43 PM
... and trying to focus on the OL. Honestly I spend most of it on the young guards, but caught some of Ugoh and Diem where I could.

Tony Ugoh- Kind of the same story, slips up a few times and Peyton can bail him out, but can be very competent in both the running game and the passing game. Much more likely to look for any Steelers player to put his hands on when he's free than some other players, I think.

Charlie Johnson- Fails as a pulling guard, but does a pretty good job when stationary. Moreso in pass pro. Probably due to his experience at tackle before this move.

Jeff Saturday- Paid the least amount of attention to him, but did a very good job in pass pro up the middle. Occassionally had some blocking help from Pollak or Johnson.

Mike Pollak- Unlike Charlie, Pollak looks very good as a pulling guard, not surprising given how he did some of that at ASU and was regarded as a prospect. And while Pollak struggled in the first drive or two, afterwards he played very well. I had no idea he played this well actually. What sticks out is that he needs to get stronger, because if he does, he will be great. Hopefully a year with the Colts' strength and conditioning staff will do him wonders, I'm much more excited about him now having focused on him in this game.

Ryan Diem- Kind of a surprising twist, but I think Diem has become (much) better in the passing game than in the running game. I want to say less than okay in the running game, but better than okay in the passing game, however I didn't pay enough attention to him to say for sure and it's only one game. Something to keep an eye on, I suppose.

Bonus, Defensive line:

Antonio Johnson- the new addition looked very promising, held his ground and even showed some real strength a few times. I want to curb early expectations ... but I think Antonio looked better in his first game with the Colts than Ed Johnson did - although to be fair, that was a preseason game against the Cowboys, and Antonio probably won't be playing much if any pass rushing downs.

Keyunta Dawson- The notion struck me as watching him that he might be playing his best since his transition to DT, maybe he's finally getting comfortable there and learning the quirks. Raheem Brock played better in his second year at DT than his first, as we saw.

Eric Foster- I really like this guy, a keeper for sure. Crazy as it may sounds, I think I'd rather have Foster than '07 Top 10 pick Amobi Okoye. Which may be a lesson when it comes to the Draft.

RCAChainGang
11-13-2008, 12:06 PM
really[/i] like this guy, a keeper for sure. Crazy as it may sounds, I think I'd rather have Foster than '07 Top 10 pick Amobi Okoye. Which may be a lesson when it comes to the Draft.

Yeah I agree.

Geo
11-16-2008, 10:49 AM
It's being reported that Bob Sanders will be inactive. Sigh.

Here's the full inactives:

The Colts' inactives are SS Bob Sanders, CB Kelvin Hayden, LB Buster Davis, C Steve Justice, WR Roy Hall, TE Tom Santi, DT Daniel Muir, DE Curtis Johnson.

Texans declared QB Matt Schaub, WR Andre' Davis, LB Kevis Coley, LB Morlon Greenwood, G Kasey Studdard, T Rashad Butler, TE Mark Bruener, and DT Amobi Okoye inactive for Week 11.

Geo
11-16-2008, 01:38 PM
1. Stupidity, stupidity, stupidity. Pathetic. You play like morons, you get punished for it like morons. I'd need to use my toes after my fingers to count the mistakes so far.

2. It's a real shame the greatness of Peyton Manning is brought down by incompetence around him. Namely FIVE DROPS in the first two drives, 6 drops overall. Disgusting.

3. Joseph Addai has two of those drops, is bouncing runs outside too much, and couldn't even stay healthy through halftime. Are you kidding me? If you weren't on the '06 roster and I would change nothing about it because of the championship, I'd say aloud how I wish the Colts drafted Maurice Jones-Drew instead. Ugh.

4. Nick Graham has had three special teams penalties in the last two games, nd might have had more if not for getting seriously injured. Maybe he lucked out by getting an injury settlement as opposed to an outright release.

5. Texans are killing the Colts with Rosenfels role outs, for crying out loud Dwight Freeney don't lose responsibility on him.

This is pathetic, and hopefully the Colts can pull this out in the second half. The worst thing is giving the Texans confidene by keeping them in the game.

Good to see Addai start the second half.

Geo
11-16-2008, 04:17 PM
I know it's hard to beat a team the second time around, and today was a sterling example.

I don't like Peyton having 46 pass attempts, he was too pass-happy imo. I wish he called for more runs, just like the Jags game at home earlier in the season, when the team is running well. But he played well, so it's hard to really hold him in fault. The man was very sharp, he even knew Dead Weight 88 got the first down near the end of the game.

The second half saw pure vintage Joseph Addai. Beautiful. Thankfully Moore and Peyton ditched the draws which weren't working, and instead dialed up more stretch and inside tackle runs. Those were working in the first half, but weren't called enough in favor of the meager-return draws.

I felt the team forced the ball to Dead Weight 88 a bit, maybe to prove a point or something, but at least he caught the ball (celebrate), got both feet in bounds (sound the alarms), and didn't fumble (schedule the parade).

The defense was abysmal in the third quarter, giving up two consecutive TD drives. At least they got their bearing back afterwards, making the Texans punt and then the Melvin Bullitt INT. I love Bullitt, I loved him as an UDFA rookie last year, what a gem he was.

And speaking of this year's gem, the loss of Ed Johnson is made up for by the addition of Eric Foster and now Antonio Johnson. The Colts defense is better when Antonio Johnson (AJ?) is on the field. He's going nowhere, hopefully he can play more snaps from hereon out.

So again, thankfully the Colts pulled out a win. And next week they play at San Diego. This is a big one, hopefully they can keep the winning streak alive with another likely-46-pass-attempt Manning-led victory. The Chargers' pass defense is struggling quite a bit this season so far.

Geo
11-16-2008, 04:44 PM
PS. Dwight Freeney with a second two-sack game in as many weeks. Keep it going, champ.

PPS. Melvin Bullitt seals another win with an INT. I want Giordano gone, on the other hand.

PPS. I really like Chad Simpson as the new kickoff return man. I'm guessing Garcon had to step up in practice at WR, with the injuries to Wayne and Gonzo, so that opened the door for Simpson and the coaches must have liked what they saw. Hey, if the opponent is trying to attack you, you respond in kind with the Counter Strike! :D

(Yes, I'm sticking with that nickname I made for him, I'm terrible.)

Dam8610
11-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Come on, Geo, Marvin had a good game today. He snagged a ball thrown at his back hip, and fought his way in for a TD on the play. That doesn't mean he's earned that salary for next season, far from it, but he played well today.

As for the game today, quick summation: Tale of two halves, half one the defense did decently and the offense struggled, second half the offense was amazing and the defense was subpar. Hopefully the offense and the defense will start showing up at the same time soon here.

Geo
11-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Clint Session is a beast, btw. Best linebacker the Colts have had since probably Marcus Washington and Mike Peterson.

Geo
11-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Three big keys I think:

1. In every Chargers game the last four years, the Colts turning the ball over and making some boneheaded mistakes have been the unfortunate constant. They stop that, and that coincides greatly with ending this three-game losing streak to San Diego. Even if the Chargers aren't playing well, they feast on turnovers and it builds up their confidence. The Colts offense hasn't turned the ball over recently, which is awesome and a big reason for their recent success, so hopefully they continue that.

2. The most striking match-up in this game is obviously the Colts' passing offense/attack against the Chargers' pass defense. We know about SD's struggles, if you want to look at the exact statistics they giving up the most passing yards per game (267.0 avg) and are tied for third-worst with the Texans in passing TDs (17). However given that it's a home primetime game for them and they are so desperate record-wise, I think they play a little better. But success can still be there for the Colts, if the OL can give Peyton protection and the receivers get open.

3. Colts defense and special teams needs to limit their big plays as much as possible. The Colts couldn't get any pass rush on Rivers in the playoff game in January, thanks to no Dwight Freeney and one-legged injured players in Robert Mathis and Raheem Brock. Thankfully the guys and the rest of the DL are healthier now in comparison, hopefully they prove to be much more effective.

Dam8610
11-18-2008, 05:45 PM
I think this matchup with San Diego is the Colts best chance in recent memory to come away with a win, and here's why:

1) Shawne Merriman out - It's painfully obvious the Chargers pass defense was extremely dependent on Merriman to get pressure on QBs in order to have an effective pass defense. In his absence, teams are able to effectively neutralize Shaun Phillips, and Jyles Tucker hasn't exactly made NFL teams take notice. The result, as Geo noted earlier, is that opponents are passing for a lot of yardage and TDs against the Chargers, and considering the Colts have been a very pass oriented team offensively thus far this season, that bodes well for the Colts.

2) Health on Offense - Last year in San Diego, the Colts played without the following key offensive players: Marvin Harrison, Anthony Gonzalez, Dallas Clark, and Tony Ugoh. This time around, all four are healthy and ready to go. This should mean better pass protection, and much better production from the passing game this time around. Peyton Manning is far more likely to throw 6 TDs in this game than he is to throw 6 INTs.

3) Where did LaDainian Tomlinson go? - San Diego is struggling to run the ball effectively, which is a very good thing for the Colts. The Chargers very well could get their run game untracked against the Colts if the Colts don't have Bob and play Antonio Johnson sparingly, but the ground game hasn't been a strength for the Chargers thus far, and hopefully the Colts won't help them change that.

4) Strength on strength - What HAS been working for San Diego thus far this season is their passing game, led by Philip Rivers and Norv Turner's Air Coryell style scheme. As most here know, Norv Turner's attack thrives on deep passes, which, as most here also know, is what the Tampa 2 scheme should be able to shut down by design. If the Chargers go to the deep passing game, the Colts should be ready to stop it.

5) Three Phases of the Game - I'm sure some of you remember Madden and Michaels talking about this during the game last year, when they kept bringing up how Norv Turner kept saying during the week that he was hoping his special teams would give his team an advantage in the game over the Colts, and as we all know, it did to the tune of 2 Darren Sproles return TDs. The coverage units have been BY FAR the most improved unit on this team this season, so I would be surprised if Sproles managed another 2 return TDs in this game.

All that said, there are reasons to be nervous about this matchup. San Diego is desperate, this game is basically for their playoff lives, and they'll probably play like it. Also, Bob Sanders looks to be a possible scratch for this game, and the defense hasn't shown very well without him this season. Hopefully the defense that played against New England and Pittsburgh, and the offense that played the second half of the Houston game will show up to San Diego. If those units show up, the Colts will win easily. If not, well...I guess we'll see.

RCAChainGang
11-18-2008, 11:47 PM
I concur with you Geo on the idea of Chad Simpson on kickoff returns. He played solid and he didn't make any stupid mistakes.

SuperKevin
11-20-2008, 01:47 AM
Do you all think Jeff Saturday will be back with the Colts next year? I'm just wondering because as a Bills fan we desperately need a center and even coming off of an injury he's still a better option than everything else out there.

Dam8610
11-20-2008, 01:51 AM
Do you all think Jeff Saturday will be back with the Colts next year? I'm just wondering because as a Bills fan we desperately need a center and even coming off of an injury he's still a better option than everything else out there.

Considering the showing the Colts OL had without him early in the season, there's definitely a case to be made for him coming back. Then of course you see three Cs selected by the Colts in this past draft, and you wonder if the writing is on the wall. I'd like to see him retire a Colt, but if the Colts like what they see out of the guys they drafted, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Saturday in another uniform next season.

Geo
11-20-2008, 09:43 AM
My expectation is that Saturday will become a free agent and that he'll sign a more lucrative deal elsewhere on the open market, to a team in need of a veteran center to anchor their offensive line. Like Kevin Mawae and the Tennessee Titans, as an example.

I don't rule out the team re-signing Saturday, maybe Irsay pushes for it, or we've seen the limits Polian will go ($$$) to keep a guy if he wants it. Plus maybe Saturday takes less money to get a deal done here, see Ryan Lilja versus Jake Scott this past summer, to stay around a little longer before retiring.

Still, the Colts normally don't invest much money in players around Saturday's age. They used a future first round pick to draft Tony Ugoh a year before Tarik Glenn was supposed to reach free agency, except Glenn retired that very summer, and this past April they drafted three potential centers a year before Saturday reaches free agency. I believe that's an indication of what's to come, ie. preparing his successor.

Also, I think St. Louis could be a good destination for Saturday.

Geo
11-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Good news, Kelvin Hayden could very well play this weekend (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80cad2b2&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true).

Local article on playmaking Melvin Bullitt (http://www.star-telegram.com/329/story/1051517.html) is a nice read.

In a discussion about the pass protection of young divisional rival backs Steve Slaton and Chris Johnson (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-6-140/Johnson--Slaton-proving-capable-in-pass-protection.html), Dom Rhodes provides insight into his experiences in coming up with the Colts, and Coach Dungy talks about young RBs and pass protection.

Geo
11-23-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm interested to see what the Chargers defense does. Conventional wisdom is that they might be aggressive and blitz, to try and create pressure on Peyton. But a different tactic wouldn't surprise me, if they are so afraid of Peyton slicing them up that they drop 7 or maybe even 8 guys in converge, making the Colts have to put plays together to produce a scoring drive.

That would then open things up for Joseph Addai and Dom Rhodes, but the Colts' OL needs to be able to make holes if the Chargers leave it up to their front three. And last year, the short passing game to the RBs was very helpful against the Chargers, other than a sure TD-turned-INT in the playoffs because of the inept loser on the field at the time.

RCAChainGang
11-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Well I have been looking at the standings and being realistic we are playing for a wild-card spot. So teams to root against:

Miami
New England
Buffalo
Baltimore
Cleveland
Jacksonville
San Diego

So a lot of teams to rot against. Basically if they are in the AFC and they lost then its something to cheer about.

Schedule:

@San Diego *Toss Up
@Cleveland
Cincinnati
Detroit
@Jaguars *Toss Up
Tennessee *Toss Up

Bold games are the teams I believe we will beat. So my predictions is we finish 11-5. I know almost all games are a toss up but the *'s are the games where you have no fingernails left to bite. It will be a tough road especially the last 2 weeks.So 5th seed playoff birth?

Geo
11-23-2008, 03:07 PM
It seems like a lot to keep track of, I just hope the Colts can get to the playoffs and just maybe it works out like it did in '06.

On first glance, one would probably hope that the Colts get the 5th seed and that Denver gets the 4th seed, given the Colts' success against them. But let's see how it all works out.

Who knows, maybe the Jets win out and the Titans lose two more games after today, giving the Jets the #1 seed.

The important thing is for the Colts to play their best football and find ways to win. Definitely including tonight, against an AFC team (conference record is the second tie-breaker for wild card playoff spots). If the Colts can get into the Tournament, and get in hot, that would be exciting.

RCAChainGang
11-23-2008, 03:46 PM
]
The important thing is for the Colts to play their best football and find ways to win. Definitely including tonight, against an AFC team (conference record is the second tie-breaker for wild card playoff spots). If the Colts can get into the Tournament, and get in hot, that would be exciting.

It is very important today. If we lose then we will be labeled "In the hunt."

New England and Baltimore will jump us. I would much rather us play for our own destiny than rely on a team to knock off the Pats or the Ravens.

RCAChainGang
11-23-2008, 03:52 PM

Injury Report:

Antoine Bethea: Questionable
Gary Brackett: Questionable
Roy Hall: Out
Kelvin Hayden: Questionable
Robert Mathis: Questionable
Darrel Reid: Questionable
Bob Sanders: Questionable
Tony Ugoh: Probable

Well looks like we have some guys dinged up but lets hope they all make the jump to the field this week. From that link you posted about Hayden, Geo, I think he will be a go.

Geo
11-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Hayden sounds confident he'll be able to play, probably start too. I hope so, they need him plus Jennings and Ratliff against the Chargers.

Ugoh's ankle coming up on Friday is a concern, but given that he's listed as probable, means he's likely to play still which is very good news.

RCAChainGang
11-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Hayden sounds confident he'll be able to play, probably start too. I hope so, they need him plus Jennings and Ratliff against the Chargers.

Ugoh's ankle coming up on Friday is a concern, but given that he's listed as probable, means he's likely to play still which is very good news.

So you think Bob Sanders plays? Didn't participate in practice Friday.

Sigh I doubt it. Good thing Bullit is playing well!

Geo
11-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Sanders has been ruled out, I don't think he even made the trip.

His injuries are frustrating, but ultimately he's a very good player when he can play. I suspect he probably won't practice more than one day a week, if that, for the remainder of the season (and in the future). Basically he just needs to play on gamedays, like Plaxico Burress last year for the Giants.

RCAChainGang
11-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Sanders has been ruled out, I don't think he even made the trip.

His injuries are frustrating, but ultimately he's a very good player when he can play. I suspect he probably won't practice more than one day a week, if that, for the remainder of the season (and in the future). Basically he just needs to play on gamedays, like Plaxico Burress last year for the Giants.

I'm just glad we have a solid guy to take his place.

Geo
11-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Colts: SS Bob Sanders, DB Brandon Foster, LB Buster Davis, C Steve Justice, TE Jamie Petrowski, WR Roy Hall, DT Daniel Muir, DE Curtis Johnson.

Chargers: QB Charlie Whitehurst (3rd), CB Cletis Gordon, RB Michael Bennett, G Kynan Forney, OT Corey Clark, FB Kris Wilson, DE Luis Castillo, DT Ian Scott.

(Per NFL.com)

Now I'm off to watch the game. Best of luck to the Colts.

RCAChainGang
11-23-2008, 07:33 PM
I love Cad Simpsons swagger. Coming out pissed.

RCAChainGang
11-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Terrible jump on the ball by Bethea.

MaxV
11-23-2008, 10:02 PM
WOW, HORRIBLE block by Clark.

I hope our D steps up here.

MaxV
11-23-2008, 10:05 PM
It's OK TO MAKE A PLAY DEFENSE!

PLEASE!!!

MaxV
11-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Ummm, since when is a block in a back legal????!!!!!

MaxV
11-23-2008, 10:24 PM
ADAM!!!!!!!!

Whew. Good win.

MaxV
11-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Great drive at the end!

Great play for Manning and Marvin.

I'm sorry Geo, but Marvin can still get it done.

RCAChainGang
11-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Oh my god. I don't believe it. MAJOR WIN!

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/Dean.jpg

Geo
11-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Wow, what a win.

With no Jeff Saturday after the first or second drive too, that is amazing. Jamey Richard is the future and quite possibly the future is now.

Geo
11-24-2008, 12:20 AM
I'm sorry Geo, but Marvin can still get it done.
Unless the guy takes a major paycut for next season, I'd cut him without hesitation. And Manning throws another pick trying to hit him deep, come on. Get a clue and stop wasting plays, Peyton.

At least the 4th and 1 was a crossing route, and I heard Deion Sanders say Harrison shrewdly used an official to pick a defensive back. That call was made with serious onions, too bad the Colts didn't try to pass on the 3rd and 1 on the previous drive.

Dam8610
11-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Unless the guy takes a major paycut for next season, I'd cut him without hesitation. And Manning throws another pick trying to hit him deep, come on. Get a clue and stop wasting plays, Peyton.

At least the 4th and 1 was a crossing route, and I heard Deion Sanders say Harrison shrewdly used an official to pick a defensive back. That call was made with serious onions, too bad the Colts didn't try to pass on the 3rd and 1 on the previous drive.

Marvin was WIDE OPEN on that play, even Madden saw it. Manning underthrew that ball. This is starting to worry me considering how much it has happened this season. I hate to suggest it, but maybe Peyton is losing some length on his deep ball?

Geo
11-24-2008, 12:40 AM
1. Richard came in at center, and although obviously looked like a rookie, looked good for a rookie considering the circumstances and the competition. It's not like the guy had the week to practice for the San Diego front, on the road in a hostile environment. As for Saturday, this just might signal for sure that this is his last season with the Colts. Paraphrasing some I believe I heard from Bill Parcells, players normally don't get more durable with age. More likely the opposite.

2. Plus Joseph Addai was making some decent runs inside right tackle, which might indicate Mike Pollak possible having his best game yet as a pro. Two rookies without any fanfare to the outside fan world, even on this forum, but that's okay because they have serious promise and are helping get the job done. Although still have ways to go in their development.

3. I heart Anthony Gonzalez. Reggie Wayne may not have done much statistically, but he was big as the major source of attention for the Chargers' defense. Marvin Harrison did some good things as well, enough for me to shut down my nickname for him for the time being. Good to see Addai and Rhodes get very involved in the passing game, Colts need that to put scoring drives together. Although I wish he was a tad more patient at times, Peyton played well as he had to for the Colts to win. But I like that he stuck with his RBs.

4. Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis. The effect of Freeney is considerable and undeniable, even if he didn't register a full sack himself. He definitely created pressure and affected the game, including help set some things up for Mathis. And Mathis' beauty of a forced fumble is probably the difference in the game, they needed that turnover there badly. The defense played the run really well in the first half too, but San Diego made some things happen in the second half unfortunately.

5. Special teams coverage did well to keep the dangerous Darren Sproles in check, I was impressed with linebacker Jordan Senn who made two big solo tackles early. And return-wise, Chad Simpson continues to look promising as a return man. I feel like he just might break one soon. Launch the Counter Strike! LOL

And of course, when you speak of special teams ... getting the clutch win ...

Dear haters, and we know who they are,

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f0/Vinatieri,_Adam_(USAF).jpg/200px-Vinatieri,_Adam_(USAF).jpg

Choke on his bust in Canton.

Geo
11-24-2008, 12:45 AM
Marvin was WIDE OPEN on that play, even Madden saw it. Manning underthrew that ball. This is starting to worry me considering how much it has happened this season. I hate to suggest it, but maybe Peyton is losing some length on his deep ball?
1. Harrison has been getting deep this season, and Manning hasn't delivered the ball far enough. Or their timing is screwed on some passes. I just want to make sure everyone knows I see that too.

My frustation comes from, well if it's not working, try to find success with what works and to me that's Dallas Clark and Anthony Gonzalez rather than Harrison. Those guys are more valuable imo.

2. As for Peyton's arm strength: I attribute it to his considerably screwed-up latter portion of his offseason. I think he'll be good to go next season ... although in recent seasons, I can't really recall Peyton going as deep as attempted this year on a few occassions. He's tried some really long balls a few times.

Geo
11-24-2008, 10:42 AM
Freddy Keiaho might have had his best game of the season so far last night. And was credited with 10 solo tackles, impressive. He was really flying out there and making a stop when he had the opportunity, he looked those numbers.

Tony Ugoh had two more penalties, continuing from last week, but in terms of actual play I thought he did pretty well. Actually very well, as far as I can recall. The bigger problem was blitzers coming up inside.

For a minute there, it looked like Melvin Bullitt might have hurt his arm or shoulder, and I became terrified. Luckily he came back in the game.

Pierre Garcon and Jamie Silva both came up with big special teams tackles on Sproles late in the game.

Rivers completed a pass on Kelvin Hayden in the third or maybe the early fourth quarter, but oh boy did he defend that well and was an inch or two away from making it incomplete. That might have been one of only two or three balls Rivers threw Hayden's way all night. I hope the team re-signs him, but on the other hand, this defense is designed to work with cheaper corners.

Again, Keyunta Dawson looking more positive as a one-gap tackle. There were times when the Chargers halted him, but a better job than last year's playoff game in January. Experience is big.

Antonio Johnson didn't stand out, from what I saw. Muir was inactive again, he could be gone after this season.

The defensive line stunts the Colts tried to pull were way to long, trying to bing two guys all around to the other side. It didn't work and Rivers had enough time to get rid of the ball.

RCAChainGang
11-24-2008, 07:08 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace/bracket
Alright.

I really don't see us losing the 5th seed. I also don't see the Titans dropping to #2 seed. So we play the Titans 2nd round in the playoffs. Now, the thing I want to know is who do we want to play in the wild card game? Broncos? I think so with the Broncos pass defense as it is. As well as The Jets. I would rather not hit up the Steelers again though... they seem to do better the second time around.

AFC wild card is scary tis year. I think it will be the Patriots and the Colts !>:O!

scottyboy
11-24-2008, 08:22 PM
guys, honestly, from guys who don't have crazed, unhealthy man-crushes, how's Eric Foster really doing? what's the buzz with him and what are the coaches and players saying? I really hope he keeps the starting job in Indy...

RCAChainGang
11-24-2008, 08:54 PM
guys, honestly, from guys who don't have crazed, unhealthy man-crushes, how's Eric Foster really doing? what's the buzz with him and what are the coaches and players saying? I really hope he keeps the starting job in Indy...

He has been playing very well from what I have seen. He is extremely valuable against the run.

Dam8610
11-24-2008, 11:15 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace/bracket
Alright.

I really don't see us losing the 5th seed. I also don't see the Titans dropping to #2 seed. So we play the Titans 2nd round in the playoffs. Now, the thing I want to know is who do we want to play in the wild card game? Broncos? I think so with the Broncos pass defense as it is. As well as The Jets. I would rather not hit up the Steelers again though... they seem to do better the second time around.

AFC wild card is scary tis year. I think it will be the Patriots and the Colts !>:O!

Don't give up on the division yet. Granted, Houston is probably going to have to beat Tennessee, but Albert Haynesworth hasn't played a 16 game season since his rookie year (2002), and the Jets just made them look pretty bad even with Haynesworth. Titans losses to Houston and one of Detroit, Cleveland, or Pittsburgh combined with the Colts winning out (including Tennessee) gives the Colts the AFC South title. If Houston can't manage to beat Tennessee, the Titans would have to lose all three of their other games to give the Colts a shot at the division in Week 17.

He hasn't really stood out other than the one play against the Steelers (that was a HUGE play), but from what I've seen, he's definitely better than Keyunta Dawson as a DT. I wouldn't mind having him as a backup UT in the future (provided the Colts actually draft a starting UT).

Geo
11-25-2008, 11:05 PM
This game against the Cleveland Browns is a big game, Colts can't afford to slip up and this is a conference game. Even though the Texans beat the Browns at Cleveland last weekend, don't overlook this team imo. They have a big offensive line and two tall receiving threats, plus their secondary seems to be playing much better in the last two games since that Denver loss. As we all know, the Browns are the only team to beat the Giants this season so far, and even if their wild card chances are nil, you know they'd love to knock the Colts' chances after what happened last year.

I've just read that Brady Quinn is done for the season, so that means the Colts will be seeing Derek Anderson. Maybe that means a slightly greater chance of turnovers, but it's not drastic I don't think.

The Browns have a big front three on defense, but those big boys can get tired if they stay on the field. The key for the Colts is to make that happen, and thus win the second and fourth quarters. The running game might get going if/when they wear the Browns down.

But until then, Shaun Rogers needs to be a foremost concern up the middle, with rookie center Jamey Richard now the starter for the foreseeable future.

Here's the weather.com forecast for the game. (http://www.weather.com/outlook/events/nfl/gameforecast/44114?eventid=267143) Right now they say cold with some snow and wind. At least it's a 1 PM EST game, I think is good for the Colts.

Dam8610
11-26-2008, 01:13 AM
One thought I keep coming back to about the Chargers game: The more I think about it, the more it made perfect sense to throw the ball on that 4th and inches play. Not only did the Colts pretty much put the game in their (probably the NFL's) best player by doing it, but they also did exactly the opposite of what the Chargers were expecting, as evidenced by the presence of Jamal Williams on the field for that play. I went back and watched some of the situational portions of the game, and I noticed that in obvious passing situations (3rd and longs), Williams was not in the game, whereas in run tendency situations (3rd and shorts, most 1st and 2nd downs), Williams was in the game. I also noticed that on a few of the 3rd and shorts prior to the 4th and inches play, the Colts exploited the Charger defense for long gains in the pass game (~20 yarder to Wayne, TD to Gonzo, etc.), so it seems to me the Colts pretty much figured that if Jamal was in, they were expecting a run. Obviously that was the case with a chain link to go on that 4th down, so the Colts decided that a pass would be the best option. Not only did it work just as planned, but on the play, Williams showed why the Chargers pull him off the field in passing situations. On that play, Jamal Williams drew a single blocker in Jamey Richard on the play, ended up beating the block of Richard (no surprise there) and had nothing but green between him and Manning about a second before Manning threw the ball, but being so big, he was too slow to get to Manning, and all he could do was jump in a desperate attempt to bat the ball down, which of course failed as the Colts converted.

As an aside: Anyone who says the Colts would benefit from having a DT like Jamal Williams either doesn't understand this scheme or doesn't understand the drawbacks of a big, strong NT like that. If you disagree, simply watch that 4th and inches play again, and remember that this scheme RELIES on the front 4 to get pressure on the QB.

RCAChainGang
11-27-2008, 04:27 PM
This game against the Cleveland Browns is a big game, Colts can't afford to slip up and this is a conference game. Even though the Texans beat the Browns at Cleveland last weekend, don't overlook this team imo. They have a big offensive line and two tall receiving threats, plus their secondary seems to be playing much better in the last two games since that Denver loss. As we all know, the Browns are the only team to beat the Giants this season so far, and even if their wild card chances are nil, you know they'd love to knock the Colts' chances after what happened last year.

I've just read that Brady Quinn is done for the season, so that means the Colts will be seeing Derek Anderson. Maybe that means a slightly greater chance of turnovers, but it's not drastic I don't think.

The Browns have a big front three on defense, but those big boys can get tired if they stay on the field. The key for the Colts is to make that happen, and thus win the second and fourth quarters. The running game might get going if/when they wear the Browns down.

But until then, Shaun Rogers needs to be a foremost concern up the middle, with rookie center Jamey Richard now the starter for the foreseeable future.

Here's the weather.com forecast for the game. (http://www.weather.com/outlook/events/nfl/gameforecast/44114?eventid=267143) Right now they say cold with some snow and wind. At least it's a 1 PM EST game, I think is good for the Colts.

Yeah I glanced and saw Cleveland as a win. You make a good point Geo you can't count em out so easily. The probably really want this upset.

Geo
11-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Colts' Week 13 injury report (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=injuryreport)

Ugh, Bethea didn't practice all week. So the Colts could be without him and Sanders. I really don't want to see Matt Giordano out there, he's a much much better athlete than he is a football player (safety or special teams).

I just hope the Colts can get over this last hump and pull out the win before the December stretch.

RCAChainGang
11-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Colts' Week 13 injury report (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=injuryreport)

Ugh, Bethea didn't practice all week. So the Colts could be without him and Sanders. I really don't want to see Matt Giordano out there, he's a much much better athlete than he is a football player (safety or special teams).

I just hope the Colts can get over this last hump and pull out the win before the December stretch.

Yeah that is frustrating. Bullit had his participation in practice Thursday and Friday. So that is good news.

Geo
11-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Per Rotoworld:

Colts declared WR Roy Hall, S Bob Sanders, C Jeff Saturday, DB Brandon Foster, LB Buster Davis, TE Jamie Petrowski, DT Daniel Muir, and DE Curtis Johnson inactive for Week 13.

MaxV
11-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Run-blocking continues to be below-average. We should've had a TD there.

I hope they go for it on 4th down and get a TD.

MaxV
11-30-2008, 01:09 PM
WOW.

There is NO LIMIT how horrible that was.

Get Mike Pollak, Jaime Richard and Charlie Johnson the Heck out of here. We need better interior OLs.

MaxV
11-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Wow, there is a stupid way to play, there is an idiotic way to play and then there is the way we are playing today.

Geo
11-30-2008, 02:17 PM
I <3 Dwight Freeney.

MaxV
11-30-2008, 02:19 PM
I hope we finally win this stupid game.

MaxV
11-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Come on Offense. Seal this game.

MaxV
11-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Oh man this line is SO HORRIBLE on short yardage situations.

Geo
11-30-2008, 02:42 PM
I <3 Robert Mathis.

MaxV
11-30-2008, 02:46 PM
WHEW. Good win.

Game ball = Defense. Great job.

Offense. PICK IT UP!

MaxV
11-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Brackett and Keiaho both left the game with injuries.

I hope they are ok.

RCAChainGang
11-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Wasn't pretty but a win is a win.

Geo
11-30-2008, 05:34 PM
1. A pattern around the disappointment in offense today:
Peyton played very well ... but threw a bad pick to start the second half.
Joe Addai played very well ... but fumbled the ball on the first offensive play on the game.
Reggie Wayne played well ... but couldn't hang onto a perfect TD pass from Peyton.
Tom Moore called a good game ... but the QB sneak on 4th and 1 was HORRIBLE. There's no way the Colts can pull that off against their 350-400lb-ers up front, after all that time to rest thanks to the third down replay review. A run with Addai was less iffy, he ran well the previous plays, but either go for a short pass or just kick the field goal.
Tony Dungy did well ... except for the hail mary attempt before halftime instead of going for the fair catch & free kick (I think Vinny might have had the wind).
Adam Vinatieri missed a field goal.

2. The Colts were lucky they were playing such an inept offense today, let's be real. And let's also give credit to the Browns defense, for making the turnovers and not giving up any big plays. Brandon McDonald played Reggie Wayne surprisingly well, I thought. And other than three good first down catches early in the game, of course Eric Wright completely removed Harrison from the equation. I would have liked to have seen Peyton look for Gonzalez and Clark a bit more. Addai and Rhodes played very well imo.

3. The Colts' defense played well, although not the entire time (which is natural really). If the defense doesn't create turnover, the team's chances of winning a game are drastically reduced imo. Victory rests in the defense creating turnovers. And thankfully, the defense came up with the biggest play in the game, thanks to Dwight Freeney coming up with the sack-fumble and Mathis then delivering the scoop & score. Antonio Johnson was great today, I love this guy. I'll take him (and Eric Foster) over a first round defensive tackle in the '09 Draft.

4. Injuries struck hard, especially at linebacker. Brackett carted off, Hagler then limped off but came back in, and Freddy Keiaho was hurt in the fourth quarter to be replaced by UDFA rookie Jordan Senn (I like him much more than Buster Davis, this guy might actually stick). Keyunta Dawson was injured, not sure if he came back in.

5. Yes the Colts' struggled in some short-yardage situations, but I thought both center Jamey Richard and right guard Mike Pollak played great. They opened up some holes in the running game, Addai averaged 5 ypc his first 10 carries, and Dom Rhodes was able to churn some yards in the second half going through the creases they helped make after the Browns made halftime adjustments against the run. They did great in pass protection, and at times Richard was handling Shaun Rogers on his lonesome. Two very impressive rookies who will be a fixture on the offensive line for years to come.

Two tough road wins in as many week, a far cry from a similar situation earlier in the season. Hopefully the Colts can get healthier the next two weeks, leading up to the Thursday night game in Jacksonville in Week 16.

Geo
11-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Btw, Tom Moore came out with some very interesting looks on offense. I like it.

I'm almost tempted to look for a download of the game and get the diagrams of them, if I had the time.

PS. Great job by Peyton and Mike Pollak making the tackle on Eric Wright, after he recovered the Addai fumble.

PPS. Antoine Bethea literally stole the ball away from Braylon Edwards at the end of the game. Edwards should have had that, and probably did for a while (thankfully they didn't review it). I don't think they would have scored a TD had they given that to Edwards, but it's much better to not find out.

Geo
12-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Tony Dungy did well ... except for the hail mary attempt before halftime instead of going for the fair catch & free kick (I think Vinny might have had the wind).
Coach Dungy said at his Monday presser that he told Keiwan Ratliff to fair catch it for a free kick. Ratliff apparently didn't understand.

So can't put that on Coach, he made the right call.

MaxV
12-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Some notes:

- Clint Session is looking better with each week. He could very well be our best LB.

- Antonio Johnson had a very good game vs. the Browns. He will provide zero as far as pass-rush, but he is good vs. the run.

- Freeney and Mathis are great off the edge, but once again, we aren't getting any pass rush from the inside, which I think is important. I think this might be our biggest weakness. It's funny, we have 2 of the most undersized DTs in the NFL in Dawson and Foster, yet they've been better vs. the run then as pass-rushers.

- The 2 rookie OLs Mike Pollak and Jaime Richard are adjusting well to the NFL, but they aren't good in short yardage situations. Once again, it's a weakness for our team. I understand that Howard Mudd prefers quicker OLs, but it comes at a price of power.

- If I haven't mentioned this before, I don't like Charlie Johnson. Yes, he's better as a OG then as a OT, but I still think Colts can do better.

- Another week, another game with Phillip Wheeler and Marcus Howard playing exclusively on ST. I want these guys to get a shot with the D. Both of these guys are freakish athletes for their positions and I find it hard to believe that they aren't good enough to at least see a couple of snaps during the game on D.

- As Geo has mentioned, Peyton didn't look to Gonzo and Clark enough during the game. These 2 guys might create the biggest matchup problems for our opponents (Gonzo is too quick for #3 CB or Safeties and Clark can smoke any LB and too big for a Safety). I think we should involve these guys much more often.

- Melvin Bullitt is a good player. Yet another great find for Polian in the UFA market. I have to say that I thought that Bullitt is exclusively a SS, but he is showing pretty good range and coverage skills out there.

MaxV
12-01-2008, 11:04 PM
I want to add something else:

I think we should rest Bob Sanders vs. Bengals and vs. Lions.

If we lose any of these 2 games (with or without Bob) then we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Geo
12-02-2008, 12:39 AM
I feel the opposite re: Sanders. The team pays him salary, if he can play then play. Either don't use him in practice at all to prevent knee inflammation, save him for gamedays, or just practice on Thursdays only if that works. He can still study his opponent and take part in walkthroughs.

As for Pollak and Richard, look at how they are pass protecting though. And they opened some holes in the first half, but credit to the Browns for making great adjustments to their run defense after halftime. The Browns lined up in some formations begging the Colts to run at a specific spot/direction, which the Colts did, but then they went to the 4-3 at times and also didn't commit to one side as much in the second half.

Short yardage, well, I imagine even veteran offensive lineman are going to struggle against the Browns' defensive lineman when they have a 3rd down replay review and a Colts' timeout to rest up and gear for a 4th down play. Plus some shoddy run blocking from outside, Dallas Clark last week at San Diego being a perfect example.

RCAChainGang
12-02-2008, 01:24 AM
I was looking at the Titans and Colts schedule. Is it out of the question to hope for the division title?

Geo
12-02-2008, 02:29 AM
The Titans need to lose all four remaining games, and conversely the Colts need to at least win all three remaining AFC games, for the Colts to win the division.

- Week 17 at IND to split the head-to-head (tiebreaker #1).
- Week 16 at HOU for both teams to go 4-2 in the division (tiebreaker #2).
- Week 14 vs CLE and Week 16 vs PIT to make up for common games (tiebreaker #3), as the Colts lost to the Bears and Packers who the Titans beat.

If somehow this could happen, then the Colts would win the division on the basis of conference record (tiebreaker #4), 10-2 versus Tennessee's 8-4.

I could see Tennessee losing maybe three of their remaining four, but all four? That's probably asking for too much.

Edit: Delayed realization that Tennessee losing all four games would make them 11-5 anyways, and if the Colts could win out, that would make them 12-4. So the hubbub about tiebreakers isn't as important, unless both teams went 11-5. And thinking about it, the Colts can't afford to drop any of their remaining four games, because Cincy and Detroit are common games with Tennessee, and the division games against Jax and Tenn would be necessary.

So basically, the Titans have to lose out and the Colts have to win out, for Indy to win the division. Not impossible but very much improbable, especially given that the Browns will start Kenny Dorsey at QB. Just hope the Colts can get into the Tournament and see what happens from there, I think.

Geo
12-03-2008, 03:07 PM
http://www.1070thefan.com/insider/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10015507

Wednesday 12/3 Colts update
Posted 12/3/2008 2:31:00 PM

Gary Brackett, according to Tony Dungy, has a fracture (Dungy called it a crack) in his lower leg and will miss at least 2 weeks. Dungy hopes Brackett will be back in time for the playoffs.

Buster davis will start at MLB. Davis (5'9 239, 2nd year out of Florida State), has been inactive much of the season and has played in only 2 games. He played in 1 game for Detroit last season. One of the reasons Davis may be getting the nod instead of moving Freddy Keiaho to MLB (like they finished last week) is because OLB Tyjuan Hagler is uncertain. Dungy said he was knicked up (Bill Polian mentioned his knee on his radio show on Monday).

They also signed LB Rufus Alexander (6'1 232) off the Minnesota practice squad. Alexander was a 6th round draft choice out of Oklahoma in 2007 and missed his rookie season with a knee injury suffered in training camp. He was on the Vikings roster for 1 game this season and played on 10/19 vs. Chicago. To clear a roster spot, DB Brandon Foster was waived and has been added to the Colts practice squad. WR Taj Smith was waived from the practice squad.

Bob Sanders (knee) went through the walk through this morning. Dungy said they would see how he does at practice today and then have a better idea if he'll play on Sunday.

Keyunta Dawson (hamstring) said he's out but doesn't know how long. Dungy said likely a couple of weeks.

Jeff Saturday (calf) says he's not certain if he's ready to return. He's making good progress, but waiting for medical clearance. He's uncertain if hell practice this week, but definitely not today. Dungy said he expects he'll miss another week.

More from today and the audio from media sessions with Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning will be posted later this afternoon.

Posted by: Kevin Lee
Surprising. Well, I guess we'll see if Davis is worth keeping.

MaxV
12-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I hope he does well.

UKfan
12-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Are we really down on Wheeler, or is he injured? Man I really thought he'd get a start at MLB with Gary down :(

Geo
12-03-2008, 04:58 PM
It looked very much like it would be:

WLB- Hagler (or Session)
MLB- Keiaho
SLB- Session (or Hagler)

That's how the Colts finished the Browns game, I believe.

On one hand, the schedule is a bit softer the next two weeks, so this provides a very rare opportunity to see if Davis fits into the future plans of the Colts or not. It's pretty interesting from that angle.

However I feel badly for Tyjuan, if he doesn't get a chance to start (maybe Keiaho rests a week?). Especially in a contract year, and having lost his job to Clint Session because of a freak pectoral injury sustained during offseason training.

Maybe the Colts are just so devious enough as to keep Hagler under wraps as much as possible to be able to re-sign him, if one were so imaginative.

RCAChainGang
12-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Yes BUSTER DAVIS!!!!
I liked that LB in the draft.

Dam8610
12-04-2008, 11:17 AM
- The 2 rookie OLs Mike Pollak and Jaime Richard are adjusting well to the NFL, but they aren't good in short yardage situations. Once again, it's a weakness for our team. I understand that Howard Mudd prefers quicker OLs, but it comes at a price of power.

I don't recall Pollak or Richard failing in a short yardage situation against the Browns. The one short yardage play that I recall not working was a run toward LG where Johnson allowed his man to get into the backfield, and Addai ended up getting no gain when the Colts needed a yard.

Geo
12-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Also, hopefully Pollak and Richard only get stronger the more time (and offseasons) they spend with the Colts' strength and conditioning coaches. I'm pretty excited about these guys.

Also exciting is that AFC Defensive Player of the Month of November (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=60b430e0-8b0a-458b-b73e-17ec23cbf64a) Dwight Freeney will play against a rookie left tackle in Anthony Collins for the Bengals. Go D-Free.

MaxV
12-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Very interesting edition of the Polian Corner.

http://colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=f2827bcf-ac54-4af6-b5de-7752575e8442

Q: Why was the fumble that Dallas Clark recovered in the end zone not a touchdown?

A: The issue is the Ken Stabler rule. Many, many years ago, (then-Oakland Raiders quarterback) Ken Stabler in the fourth quarter of a game (against San Diego) in a two-minute drive went back to throw and was about to be sacked. He rolled the ball on the ground forward like a bowling ball. It was recovered by (tight end) Dave Casper for a touchdown and the Raiders won the game. They put in a rule, the Ken Stabler rule, that says when the quarterback fumbles on fourth down only he may recover the ball. Any other player recovering the ball is null and void and the down is over. That’s what occurred on that particular play. The ball goes back to the spot of the fumble.

Very weird rule.

Geo
12-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Bengals-Colts injury report (http://www.bengals.com/team/InjuryReport.asp)
Side note: Kind of sad that Bengals.com has a much better gameday page than Colts.com. The site has improved in the last year, but still has a long ways to go to match other team sites. It's not within two grades' worth of Patriots.com.

So Addai had limited practice on Friday and is listed as questionable with a knee concern. Ugh. And there was part of me wondering if Joe could still finish with 1,000 rushing yards this season. That's looking even more unlikely.

(Fantasy-wise, I'm almost hoping Addai doesn't play so I can confidently start Rhodes.)

And Anthony Gonzalez didn't even practice Friday, listed as questionable too with a shoulder concern.

Although Bengals.com has it wrong, both Bob Sanders and Jeff Saturday practiced on Friday. I don't expect Saturday to play, but I do Sanders. I don't believe he should be saved for the playoffs, he's paid a handsome salary and should go out and earn it if he's healthy enough to play.

What I would do with Bob is not make him practice all week, just play on Sundays, to limit his knee from getting inflammed. Maybe this builds up resent with the (younger) players who do have to practice all week, I hope not though. But if he can practice Fridays (why not Thursday?) and play on Sundays, aces.

Dam8610
12-07-2008, 11:27 AM
The Indianapolis Colts have declared DL Curtis Johnson, LB Gary Brackett, TE Jamie Petrowski, C Jeff Saturday, DL Keyunta Dawson, WR Roy Hall, LB Rufus Alexander, LB Tyjuan Hagler inactive for Week 14.

Looks like Bob and Muir will suit up today. I know a lot of people are uncomfortable about Bob playing this game, but I'd rather he get some PT in before the postseason starts. As for Muir, hopefully he'll see the field today, the Colts need to know what they have at DT going into the offseason.

UKfan
12-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Gijon Robinson making an impact in this game, good to see.

UKfan
12-07-2008, 12:33 PM
What has got into Gijon? lol

Geo
12-07-2008, 08:26 PM
1. Dear Bill Polian, re-sign Kelvin Hayden. Cut Marvin Harrison and Raheem Brock to do it, if you need the cap space. Something around the 4 years/16.8M deal (extension?) that the Titans signed Cortland Finnegan to around the start of this season would be fair to both parties imo. And hopefully sign Marlin Jackson to a similar deal next year, he's even more of a zone corner so that helps. Hayden is a playmaker.

2. Great to see Bob Sanders, Joseph Addai, and Anthony Gonzalez play. I'm not a believer in saving anyone for the playoffs: (1) I don't want to see a rusty player repeat Harrison choking up the ball and potentially costing the game like he did against the Chargers this past January; and (2) these guys are paid to play, so they should do it if they are healthy enough to play. Addai played 24 games his rookie year, an amazing feat, but unfortunately has had some tough luck with injuries since then. Hopefully he's okay, at least there's a veteran in Dom who can temporarily hold the fort.

3. Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis were a two-man wrecking crew today. Havoc wreckers for sure. It will be great to see both guys have double-digit sacks again just for the fact of having the statistics to their name and career numbers. Mathis is probably already there after today, Freeney might be a half-sack short. And how about Daniel Muir? He looked good today, as a pass rusher. What a pleasant surprise that was. Muir lined up at UT next to Johnson at NT on some plays, and looked good. Hmm, let's see if this continues and he's legit.

4. Peyton Manning was sharp, as can be imagined. He distributed the ball fairly well and called a decent game, although it could have been better. Honestly, I can't recall one time the Colts ran the stretch run play. Not once! This is insane to me. Forget the toss plays which have never worked in the Tom Moore/Peyton era. The experience in the offensive line is in the tackles, and not one single stretch play? I don't get that at all, especially for Joseph Addai who is a shifty runner. Peyton should be healthy enough to run the stretch play, come on.

5. 2005, probably even 2006 Marvin Harrison would have taken that pass to the house imo. I can't believe that safety (?) caught him from behind. It was still a big play and Harrison also had a nice little TD. I can't believe Peyton went to Clark like he did on his third TD pass, that was borderline insane given the defenders and I have to think he predetermined he would go Clark there. Ballsy, but at least it turned out positive.

Dam8610
12-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Honestly, I can't recall one time the Colts ran the stretch run play. Not once! This is insane to me. Forget the toss plays which have never worked in the Tom Moore/Peyton era. The experience in the offensive line is in the tackles, and not one single stretch play? I don't get that at all, especially for Joseph Addai who is a shifty runner. Peyton should be healthy enough to run the stretch play, come on.

I remember one stretch play for Addai (on which he got a good gain), but other than that, you're right, they haven't been running the staple run play of this offense lately, what gives?

Geo
12-07-2008, 08:41 PM
They definitely need to run it more.

And how about more of that draw stretch? Whenever they run it, it seems to work for a healthy gain and a sometimes even more than that - as evidenced by Dom's TD run today. But they don't use it that much for whatever reason. Obviously it's more of a between the 20s type of play.

Plus Addai had a 16-yard run inside right tackle that was called back due to a Pollak hold. Cincy did well in run defense today, they really shot some gaps and got to the runningbacks before they could get going.

Addai hurt his shoulder, but came back in. Went to the locker room early though, around the two-minute mark and the game was in hand.

Sweet INT by Dante Hughes and Tim Jennings did some good things, nice to see those guys do some good things too. The defense was so awesome for me in fantasy, <3.

Geo
12-07-2008, 08:50 PM
I forgot to note Daniel Muir, so I edited my post (check the end of #3).

Suffice to say he was a very pleasant surprise. Wow.

MaxV
12-07-2008, 09:52 PM
I didn't see the game.

Good to hear that Muir played well. Not surprising that Freeney and Mathis dominated, I hope they keep it going.

As far as the decision to play Sanders, I don't have a huge problem with it, but I'd still prefer to rest him before the Jags game.

Honestly, do you guys think we would've lost to Bengals had Bob wasn't there?

I want Sanders to be at, or close to, 100% for the playoffs. We need him.

Geo
12-07-2008, 09:59 PM
It's not like time off in the regular season guarantees time in for the playoffs. It's random and unpredictable, so imo you just play your guys and try to get in the best rhythm you can get heading into the playoffs.

Heck Sanders was DPOTY last year and didn't finish the Chargers playoff game, he hurt his shoulder on an awkward collision with Michael Turner, remember? Either in the late third or early fourth quarter it was ... and yet in '06, he played in all four playoff games.

The most important thing is for Sanders to play, I'm sure Coach Dungy will give him the minimal amount of practice. I like how Coach Dungy takes care of his players practice-wise, giving guys like Freeney and Mathis a day off to rest each week to help keep them a little fresh if he can.

Bullitt was hurt after a play today, but got up and as far as I'm aware, is thankfully okay.

Geo
12-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Also, I forgot to mention this earlier:

The Lucas Oil Field crowd sucks. Completely and utterly sucks, piles of fairweather sheep that there are.

Maybe it has to do with the increased seating and area/space of Lucas Oil Field, and cue the conspiracy theory about the piped in noise if it floats your boat, but I think they can and should do better. This is not the first time the crowd has been pathetic in what Chris Berman nicknamed "The Drum" (I dig it), especially when the Colts' defense is on the field. They actually get loud when the offense makes a play, until Peyton has to tell them to shut up like the idiots they are.

Opposing offenses don't have to worry about false starts, with this current crowd. And then you watch the Seattle game, and you see a stadium of real fans who are loud.

You can't just show up to cheer when the offense put scores on the board. Support this team and get loud when the opponent has the ball. And I'm sure there are fans who still come through, but right now, it's not near enough.

MaxV
12-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Dude, we were playing the Bunguls.

It's kinda hard to get very excited for this game.

Everyone knew we'd smoke them.

Dam8610
12-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Also, I forgot to mention this earlier:

The Lucas Oil Field crowd sucks. Completely and utterly sucks, piles of fairweather sheep that there are.

Maybe it has to do with the increased seating and area/space of Lucas Oil Field, and cue the conspiracy theory about the piped in noise if it floats your boat, but I think they can and should do better. This is not the first time the crowd has been pathetic in what Chris Berman nicknamed "The Drum" (I dig it), especially when the Colts' defense is on the field. They actually get loud when the offense makes a play, until Peyton has to tell them to shut up like the idiots they are.

Opposing offenses don't have to worry about false starts, with this current crowd. And then you watch the Seattle game, and you see a stadium of real fans who are loud.

You can't just show up to cheer when the offense put scores on the board. Support this team and get loud when the opponent has the ball. And I'm sure there are fans who still come through, but right now, it's not near enough.

Thank you for bringing this up again. Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done about this at this point. The Colts moved to a luxury palace stadium, and as a result, most, if not all, of the good seats go to "fans" who should never attend games, in fact, I just ranted on this in a recent thread on the NFL forum:

I'd just like to point out a new type of bad fan that is emerging in today's NFL: The people in the good seats that are there just to be there. These people know relatively little about anything involving the game, or how to act at the game. If you sit in their section and actually act like a fan (see: make noise on defense, react to things on the field, etc.), they say "sit down", they randomly yell things like "GO (insert player here)!" when said player is standing on the sidelines, likely because that's one of the five players on the team whose name they know, and they make a half-hearted effort to make noise when the defense is in a third down situation, but otherwise, they do the "sit down" routine. Unfortunately, with the price of NFL tickets today, this type of fan probably isn't going to go away any time soon.

This is the price a team pays for moving into a stadium like Lucas Oil. Sufficed to say, I already miss the RCA Dome, that stadium was the loudest place on Earth when it wanted to be, and having attended quite a few games there, I can attest with lost voices and ringing ears that that noise was all natural. Do I think Lucas Oil Stadium could be as loud and proud as the old Dome? Absolutely, but it would take some real fans buying those good seats and getting rid of the sucky "fans".

Geo
12-08-2008, 01:52 AM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/indianapoliscolts/statistics?team=IND

CBS mentioned something about the Colts only having this many receivers with this many receptions. It's actually kind of neat, the distribution.
First off, Reggie needs 82 yards to break 1K. Hopefully he gets that, even though defenses are correctly focusing on him the most, because he is the #1.

Secondly, the '08 Colts have matched a feat that only the '04 Colts were able to accomplish thus far in the Peyton Manning era: four players with 51 or more receptions.

I did a little research, and it seems the record would be the 2000 St. Louis Rams, who had four players with 53 or more receptions. The original Air Coryell in the 1984 San Diego Chargers came just shy of its eventual spawn, having four players with 52 or more receptions. Maybe I have it wrong and missed a team/instance, I only went so far back and checked likely candidates.

So if Clark/Gonzalez/Harrison can each get 3 receptions over the next three games, a feasible feat, then they might potentially set a record by having four players with 54 or more receptions.

If Clark/Gonzalez/Harrison could each get 9 receptions, that would make an even 60 receptions for each. Highly impressive.

Plus there's Dom Rhodes currently sitting at 35 receptions.

Dam8610
12-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Dude, we were playing the Bunguls.

It's kinda hard to get very excited for this game.

Everyone knew we'd smoke them.

No, trust me, it's not just that. Granted, I haven't been to many games in the new stadium, but when I have been, there's just a different feel to it, it feels a lot more sterile and quiet and pretty much the exact opposite of what the Dome was - a loud, raucous football stadium where the opponent was not welcome and we made sure they knew it. Even on opening night in a close ballgame, there was very little in the way of crowd noise. I hope it can get back to the dome days soon, but it's not going to happen unless the real fans take it back and get rid of these fake "fans" that don't know how to act.

UKfan
12-08-2008, 11:12 AM
All this Colts talk, and no mention of the emergence of Gijon Robinson?!

Dam8610
12-08-2008, 11:29 AM
All this Colts talk, and no mention of the emergence of Gijon Robinson?!

It was one game against the Bengals, I'm not ready to even predict a roster spot for him next season even after the fact. He's still slow and hasn't done much in terms of blocking this year. The only advantage he's given the team at any point IMO is he secures the ball, which is a lot more than you could say about Ben Utecht.

UKfan
12-08-2008, 11:34 AM
I know, I'm just frankly astonished he had 5 catches in a game and felt it deserved a menton.

Geo
12-08-2008, 01:35 PM
It was one game against the Bengals, I'm not ready to even predict a roster spot for him next season even after the fact. He's still slow and hasn't done much in terms of blocking this year. The only advantage he's given the team at any point IMO is he secures the ball, which is a lot more than you could say about Ben Utecht.
One additional thing is that Gijon seeks out physical contact, especially if he can get an extra yard or half-yard in the process.

And to be fair to him, yesterday was the first time he actually ran some routes past 2 yards within the LOS. First time to do some work between the hashes, and he did well enough. Obviously not much at all in terms of YAC, to be expected.

Geo
12-11-2008, 09:13 PM
http://www.1070thefan.com/insider/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10016254

Thursday 12-11 Indianapolis Colts/Indiana Pacers updates/Jim O'Brien Show tonight
Posted 12/11/2008 1:49:00 PM

COLTS NOTEBOOK

Injury update, according to Tony Dungy:

RB Joseph Addai (shoulder) will be a game-time decision. RB/KR Chad Simpson (ankle) is not expected to play. Newly signed RB Najeh Davenport will be either the 2nd or 3rd back (depending on Addai) and will also return kicks. If Addai is not ready, they will activate RB Lance Ball off of the practice squad. Ball (5'9 220) is a rookie from Maryland who has been with the Colts since Oct. 15th. He was in camp with St. Louis and was on their practice squad in September. LB Tyjuan Hagler (knee) will likely miss his 2nd straight game. But, C Jeff Saturday (calf) is still expected to return after missing the last 2 games and S Bob Sanders is fine and going through his normal routine this week and is expected to play again.

Game balls from the win over the Bengals were awarded to Gijon Robinson, Kelvin Hayden and Dante Hughes.

Next week will be a short week with a game at Jacksonville on Thursday. The Colts players will have Monday off and then their only full practice will be Tuesday. Wednesday will be like the Saturday walk-through and then they'll travel to Jacksonville in the afternoon. It's a familiar opponent, so that lessens the preparation. But, even if it's not, it's the same for both teams. It's also fortunate they are at home this week (which should not be a coincidence for the road team in a Thursday game). That gives them a few extra hours to get started on Sunday night after the Lions game.

Posted by Kevin Lee

Geo
12-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Terre Haute News - "Colts may be without key players" (http://www.tribstar.com/colts/local_story_347205347.html)

Also, the Colts' injury report (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=injuryreport) for those wondering.

MaxV
12-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Well, 21-10 at halftime. Should've been MUCH better.

The defense isn't playing very well and the offense missed some opportunities.

MaxV
12-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Ok, get Ratliff the heck away from my sight.

MaxV
12-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Ok, winning by 10 vs. the Lions at home isn't exactly the best performance of the season for this team, but a win is a win.

The defense needs to tighten up.

MaxV
12-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Monster game from Dallas Clark.

Geo
12-14-2008, 06:42 PM
1. It's almost Christmas time, so I won't say right now that Colts' special teams coach Russ Purnell should be fired after this season (and should have been fired well before this season).

2. Keiwan Ratliff needs to not be the punt returner anymore. Although it should be said that he and the Colts got hosed on that first punt return "fumble". I thought the replay clearly showed it hit the back of Lions player Ramzee Robinson, sucks for the refs to get it wrong even with replay. It would be better if Najeh Davenport isn't the kickoff returner anymore, but he's mostly servicable (at best) and at least secures the ball. Plus he's the biggest returner the Colts may have ever had, lol.

3. Peyton got a little pass happy today, the team should have run the ball more. Saw a few stretch plays today, but many more inside runs and draws as usual. Not sure about this. Chad Simpson looked good except for his fumble, but at least he recovered it. And Peyton was still excellent ...

4. ... although he was much better when he wasn't forcing the ball to Harrison. Stop trying to pad his stats in his last season with the team, Peyton, and just focus on winning. Dallas Clark >> Marvin Harrison, and it was good to see him get a lot of looks today and produce a career day. Awesome job by him getting his feet in on his TD. Reggie got some more looks today, thankfully. Gonzalez a non-factor, maybe it has to do with his shoulder injury or that Harrison is taking up priority over him (which may support the idea that the Colts don't need to take a receiver early come the '09 Draft, although tell Bill Polian that).

5. We all don't know exactly how good this team is, although they're getting wins. And they need to keep it up these last two weeks, but we'll see how the team fares come the playoffs.

RCAChainGang
12-14-2008, 08:41 PM
I really liked Session's play today.

Buster Davis looks like he gained weight and looks too anxious like he doesn't know what he should be doing.

Melvin Bullit played fantastic today especially on special teams.

I like Chad Simpson over Dom except for short passes out of the backfield. It just seems to me Dom is better coming off the bench.

I like the way we are playing. It isn't pretty but we are getting wins and the more close game experience we can get the better we will handle close games in the playoffs.

Congratulations to Marvin Harrison on 3rd all-time on receptions. Maybe he can jump to second... I believe its 6 more catches?

Also Congratulations to Dallas Clark in his career day breaking his 125 yard mark.

MaxV
12-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Dallas Clark is the man. I was upset that we haven't used him often in previous weeks.

I mean he is a matchup nightmare for the opposition. There is no LB that has the speed to cover him and his size is a big problem for safeties. He really should be a bigger part of our offense.

Our defense looked weak today. Kevin Smith was gashing us and we made Dan Orlavsky look like Joe Montana.

Dam8610
12-14-2008, 11:09 PM
2. Keiwan Ratliff needs to not be the punt returner anymore. Although it should be said that he and the Colts got hosed on that first punt return "fumble". I thought the replay clearly showed it hit the back of Lions player Ramzee Robinson, sucks for the refs to get it wrong even with replay. It would be better if Najeh Davenport isn't the kickoff returner anymore, but he's mostly servicable (at best) and at least secures the ball. Plus he's the biggest returner the Colts may have ever had, lol.

I think the refs horribly missed a call on that play, not about who the ball hit (though it did hit Robinson first), but that contact was made before the ball arrived, after Ratliff had clearly signaled for a fair catch. That should be (take your pick) fair catch interference or kick catch interference, but there was no call.

5. We all don't know exactly how good this team is, although they're getting wins. And they need to keep it up these last two weeks, but we'll see how the team fares come the playoffs.

Interesting footnote to this win: The Indianapolis Colts became the first team in NFL history to have a 7+ game win streak in 5 consecutive seasons.

Geo
12-15-2008, 12:21 AM
- Buster Davis looked better today, he was noticeable, although celebrating after every single tackle is stupid. It's acceptable to celebrate a big play, like say a tackle for loss or a big hit, you can strut after that. Make a circle in the air and punch through it like Marlin Jackson in that case. But Davis went overboard on every single thing and really came off as a me guy, I thought. Amazing this guy still has the attitude that he unfortunately came into the league with.

- Kevin Smith's cutback running really gave the Colts some fits, as they sold out in one direction or the other most of the time against the run. Josh Thomas played at DT today, btw.

- I'm looking forward to Antoine Bethea playing out his rookie contract.

- Cliff Avril gave Tony Ugoh fits for sure. Ryan Diem was hurt for a few plays and subbed by Federkeil, and came back to be his okay (at best?) self. If not seemingly disinterested at times, standing around instead of trying to make an extra block. Peyton was hit after so many throws, it's darn near unforgivable.

- Honestly, Raheem Brock, can you make one play this season? The Schaub helicopter fumble was thanks to Freeney, and the fumble recovery at San Diego had him caught from behind by an offensive lineman which is pathetic. Well, he played some okay zone coverage against I think it was the Browns. But come on.

- Dom Rhodes played well. He is really working the spin move this season. :D

Geo
12-15-2008, 03:57 PM
... and he said if they clinch the #5 seed with a win against the Jags this Thursday, they will treat the Week 17 game as usual for them. Which means, obviously, resting the starters as they have.

Ugh, not sure I like that. I'd rather just play the Week 17 game to try and stay in rhthym. Although last year, the problem wasn't really rhthym, it was injuries to the defense line and turnovers by the offense. And granted, look at Albert Haynesworth getting injured yesterday - that could be huge for the Titans.

But I think I'd still take the chance and play the Week 17 game, at least the first half as a whole if not the first three quarters.

What do you guys think?

MaxV
12-15-2008, 04:15 PM
I say play them for a quarter.

MaxV
12-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Colts related thread on NFL forum you guys might want to check out:

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27888

Painful memories for some of us older Colts fans. :)

I think only Dam and I remember it. Sorry bro.

RagingColt
12-15-2008, 11:30 PM
I say play them for a quarter.

I'd rather they play the whole game. That's what they get paid to do isn't? Besides, holding players out of the last game for the sake of resting them seems to have backfired for us in years past.

CashmoneyDrew
12-16-2008, 01:33 AM
God I hope Dungy rest yalls starters in the final game because I don't want the Titans to go into the playoffs on a 3 game losing streak.

Geo
12-16-2008, 02:10 AM
The Titans could be resting their starters too. Battle of the backups, sigh.

Geo
12-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Colts' Pro Bowl selections
Peyton Manning (starter)
Reggie Wayne
Dwight Freeney (starter)
Robert Mathis

Congrats to the players and Robert Mathis especially on his first Pro Bowl recognition. I've thought he's played at a Pro Bowl level the last two years, but didn't expect him to actually get the nod so that's a pleasant surprise ... although I'm pissed thanks to Dallas Clark getting jobbed because idiots voted Antonio Gates over him this season.

Dam8610
12-16-2008, 03:44 PM
... and he said if they clinch the #5 seed with a win against the Jags this Thursday, they will treat the Week 17 game as usual for them. Which means, obviously, resting the starters as they have.

Ugh, not sure I like that. I'd rather just play the Week 17 game to try and stay in rhthym. Although last year, the problem wasn't really rhthym, it was injuries to the defense line and turnovers by the offense. And granted, look at Albert Haynesworth getting injured yesterday - that could be huge for the Titans.

But I think I'd still take the chance and play the Week 17 game, at least the first half as a whole if not the first three quarters.

What do you guys think?

Colts Postseason record when resting starters in Week 17 since 2003: 1-3
Colts Postseason record when playing starters in Week 17 since 2003: 6-1

I was behind the decisions to rest the starters in 2004, 2005, and 2007, but sometimes you have to recognize and react to an astounding trend such as this.

Colts' Pro Bowl selections
Peyton Manning (starter)
Reggie Wayne
Dwight Freeney (starter)
Robert Mathis

Congrats to the players and Robert Mathis especially on his first Pro Bowl recognition. I've thought he's played at a Pro Bowl level the last two years, but didn't expect him to actually get the nod so that's a pleasant surprise ... although I'm pissed thanks to Dallas Clark getting jobbed because idiots voted Antonio Gates over him this season.

Manning gets the start? I have to say I'm a bit surprised by that, I think it bodes well for his standing in the MVP race ;). Congrats to those 4 though, especially Freeney and Mathis, those two really deserved it. Both of them.

Dam8610
12-16-2008, 03:46 PM
God I hope Dungy rest yalls starters in the final game because I don't want the Titans to go into the playoffs on a 3 game losing streak.

Considering the Colts' postseason record when they rest their starters in Week 17, I hope they play it through, unfortunately, you're far more likely to get your wish.

RCAChainGang
12-16-2008, 09:17 PM
I would have them play the whole game. If we will win the SB then we have to stay in rhythm. Resting players for us seems to effect their play in the post-season.

Geo
12-17-2008, 12:07 AM
I really want the Colts to win these last two games and extend their 12-win seasons streak by at least one more. It would be great. Don't step off the gas imo.

Although it's not as great as them winning in the playoffs, which is much more important. This isn't like last year, thankfully Freeney, Mathis, and Brock are all healthy. Foster and Dawson will hopefully be healthy or very near to come playoff time. Marlin Jackson is out, but the rest of the secondary is okay right now with the benefit of Melvin Bullitt and Tim Jennings having much more experience. If guys are rested so that can help spurn success in the postseason, so be it. Coach Dungy handles his team, I'll give him the benefit of doubt and a measure of trust.

One thing though is that with this Thursday game, it's tough to play on a short week but the extended time afterwards helps them rest up a bit. But that weird schedule and resting players could really screw with their rhythm, I'm partly worried. I think Peyton, Freeney, and the rest of the vets will set the tone for the rest of the team though, so it's not so big a deal.

Still, I'd like to see them play against Tennessee. At least Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch being out (reminds me of the Colts last year somewhat) helps reduce risk for Peyton.

Ah well, that's all looking ahead. Let's focus on the Jags first.

First thing that's noticeable is that they'll be missing some starters in Rashean Mathis (IR), Matt Jones (suspension), the Colts' killer Fred Taylor (IR), and Daryl Smith (IR).

The Colts haven't been using the stretch play much at all, but hopefully they do against Jacksonville because it matches up well against them. Or at least it did earlier in the season.

Dam8610
12-17-2008, 10:39 AM
If the Colts do go back to the stretch play (which I'm hoping they do), hopefully they altogether abandon the stretch right. The Colts average 5.21 yards per carry off of left end (where the stretch play usually goes), good for 4th in the NFL, whereas they're 29th in the NFL with 2.76 yards per carry off of right end. In fact, the Colts run pretty decently when they run anywhere but right end (they even average 3.91 YPC off right tackle). Looks like Diem may be the problem with the run game.

Geo
12-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Credit Tony Ugoh imo, he is probably the best run-blocker on the team like he was last year. He'll even look downfield to look for another guy to block, when he has the opportunity (take notes Ryan Diem). We all remember that great block he made against Cincy to help spring Dom Rhodes for his rushing TD.

Ugoh can be somewhat inconsistent in pass pro, especially against speed rushers. But he's still probably the best overall lineman on the team, him or Saturday although honestly I don't have a grasp on how well his run blocking is this year ('07 was a bit down from '06, I think).

So, Marvin Harrison hasn't practiced all week because of a bad hamstring. Awesome timing. I won't say anything, you guys know how I feel. I hope he passes Cris Carter's receptions mark in these last two games and wins a second Super Bowl this year, but then the team moves on this summer. Dallas Clark and Anthony Gonzalez deserve more attention, because they can and will produce.

So I'm not expecting Harrison to play. Who knows, maybe we'll see Pierre Garcon or Roy Hall get a few snaps in some multiple receiver looks.

Dam8610
12-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Colts related thread on NFL forum you guys might want to check out:

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27888

Painful memories for some of us older Colts fans. :)

I think only Dam and I remember it. Sorry bro.

Just saw this, and again I say: IT WAS A CATCH!

Geo
12-18-2008, 07:25 PM
First drive for the Jags is ridiculously easy. Their only bad play was Marcedes Lewis dropping a ball. Ratliff gets burned by Dennis Northcutt in the slot, with no help from Antoine Bethea behind him, for the TD. They started off with a kickoff return to the Jacksonville 36 or 37 that was almost taken all the way.

Obviously, not a very good start.

Geo
12-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Terrible holding call again Mike Pollak. That's a joke.

Peyton looks for Dallas on both third downs, unfortunately not enough the second time (3rd and 8 thanks to that stupid holding call).

Garcon sees the field as the fourth receiver on the third down, btw.

A good Hunter Smith punt and a Jax holding call has them pinned inside the 10. Hopefully the Colts defense does a much better and gets the ball back for the offense.

Geo
12-18-2008, 07:39 PM
The Colts can't stop Maurice Jones-Drew on first contact, and he gains positive yardage afterwards thanks to it.

Thankfully they finally stopped him for a minimal gain.

Hopefully Northcutt just made a third down reception that is short of the first down.

It's 4th and short, and Jax is going for it.

Geo
12-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Buster Davis celebrates hitting David Garrard after he sneaks for the first down. I'm really not liking this guy.

Maurice Jones-Drew continues to dominate the Colts.

Twice so far Clint Session gets two arms around a runningback but can't hang on for the tackle. Pulling a Cato, otherwise known.

Geo
12-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Colts send an all-out blitz on the first drive, Garrard throws the TD pass to Northcutt.

Colts send an all-out blitz again right now, Garrard hits Northcutt for the first down.

Indy isn't getting enough pressure on time.

NFLN's audio is garbage.

Geo
12-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Indy's defense is also garbage, this is pathetic.

Ron Meeks looks like Ron Meeks on the sideline.

Dwight Freeney has Mo Drew in the backfield point-blank, and Drew makes him whiff. Disgusting.

The Indy defense has to call a timeout because they're confused. Beyond pathetic.

Geo
12-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Third down, all Garrard has to do is tuck the ball and he pushes defenders forward for a rushing TD.

Indy is down two touchdowns with Peyton Manning having had only one possession so far, a few seconds into the second quarter.

Geo
12-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Garcon makes a great kickoff return to the Indy 35, there was a flag on the field (par for the course for Colts' special teams under Purnell!) ... but thankfully the other officials overruled the one guy who threw the flag.

Geo
12-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Jax is getting pressure on Peyton, but he's still making passes down the field like he can.

Anthony Gonzalez and Dallas Clark have made great catches thus far.

Colts run a stretch play twice so far this game, to the right side, and both times for -3 yards each. Ugh.

Manning moves out of the pocket and hits Reggie Wayne deep. TD!

Wayne burned past Reggie Nelson, who bit on Gijon Robinson for some reason.

Geo
12-18-2008, 08:10 PM
First play for the Jacksonville offense, Hayden tries to jump a ball for a pick and Northcutt catches and runs for a lot of yards.

That and a Mo Drew run have them at the Jac 40 already. Come on, defense.

Garrard finally has his second incompletion of the game, thanks to some pressure from Freeney.

WOW! Refs finally call holding for Freeney, and it's not even that much of a hold. Barnes pushed him down more than held. Officials suck this season.

Thankfully the gift of a call and the Colts not letting Mo Drew convert another 3rd down gets the job done for the defense on this drive.

Geo
12-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Why do the Colts keep running to the right? It's a mess, Jacksonville is dominating the right side run-blocking wise. Jags are behind the LOS when it happens.

Offense just picked up two consecutive penalties, a false start (Robinson) and then an illegal block behind the back (Wayne).

So it's long distance ... and Peyton hits Gijon deep for a 23-yard pass over the middle.

2nd and short, Peyton hits Wayne for the first down. Wayne is a Jaguars killer.

Gijon makes another great catch on first down, he's really come alive the last few weeks.

Geo
12-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Wow, horrible.

3rd and short, Colts bring in Darrell Reid (fail). Then Peyton spends 10 seconds looking at Reid pointing to the right. So of course they run right, and they fail miserably for -3 or -4 yards. UGH

And Vinatieri misses the FG left, just shy by a hair.

Freaking great.

Geo
12-18-2008, 08:27 PM
2nd down after a Jags' incompletion, obviously Mo Drew is going to run the ball to get the clock running, and he goes for 10-plus. Pathetic.

Tim Jennings had a pick six but couldn't catch the ball. ARGHH

Geo
12-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Jennings fails so miserably, lets the Jags get in field goal position.

This defense is garbage.

Of course the Jags get the 44-yard FG.

Colts down 7-17 at the half. At least they get the ball to start the second half.

Btw, I haven't seen Joseph Addai come into the game once so far.

Geo
12-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Peyton Manning, super awesome. Leads the offense down the field with sharp accuracy and recognition.

TD comes to that short delay RB pass the Colts like to run, which works well with Dom and Joe as they catch the ball well.

For whatever reason, the Colts absolutely refuse to run left ... but at least they've now got Dom involved in a short passing game to help substitute.

Geo
12-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Colts defense continues to be boneheaded and inept in the second half. Ugh, come on guys.

These morons! They cannot tackle Maurice Jones-Drew.

Chauncey Washington comes in and drags sorry ass Buster Davis around his waist for 3 yards. Celebrate that, twerp.

LOL, the Jags run left past Freeney and get a tackle for loss as usual. Never run left past Freeney, this is so common knowledge.

3rd and 8, of course all Garrard has to do is hit the TE right over the middle with no one in front of him. Easy as cake, Gary Brackett can't come back soon enough.

Geo
12-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Session creates a Maurice Jones-Drew fumble, which the Colts don't recover naturally. Idiot Buster Davis was closest, but of course he gave up on the play and wasn't even looking at/for the ball.

Jag score an easy rushing TD afterwards with Chauncey Washington.

The soft defense can't even hold them to FGs, Peyton won't have a chance to win this.

Geo
12-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Peyton? Yeah, he's not bad.

More like amazing and the only reason the Colts have a shot in this game.

Dungy didn't challenge the play that looked like a Dom Rhodes' TD run, but thankfully the Colts were still able to score a TD. Although they fail on yet another QB sneak, shall we blame Jamey Richard for this too?

Geo
12-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Finally, a three-and-out! Hallelujah.

Jags fail on first down throwing at Hayden (pass deflection), Freeney holds onto Jones-Drew's leg for dear life to give them only a 1-yard gain, and Freeney's inside spin makes Garrard move around and Northcutt can't make the catch on third down (looked catchable though).

MaxV
12-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Run-blocking, Run-blocking, Run-blocking.

This is insane. Throw the ball on 3rd-and-1. They'll NEVER pick it up with the run.

MaxV
12-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Brock!!!

If only he can play like this every time.

MaxV
12-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Oh man, not another 3rd-and-1. PICK IT UP!!!

MaxV
12-18-2008, 09:57 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!!!!

Man, THROW THE BALL! This useless line can't run-block.

MaxV
12-18-2008, 09:59 PM
Next year, I want all new O-Linemen except for Ugoh.

MaxV
12-18-2008, 10:07 PM
FREENEEEEEEEYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Great players make great plays when the team needs them most.

The Unseen
12-18-2008, 10:08 PM
great game fellers. Until next year.

RCAChainGang
12-18-2008, 10:19 PM
I have begrudged Keiwan Ratliff's starting position for Dante Hughes but he really payed off today. I only saw the second half, but I liked what I saw.

Again I say I don't think it matters what team we play we always have a chance to win. And we usually give the other team a chance as well, but the 4th quarter experience is going to pay off big time. Good game.

I like seeing Dallas Clark involved. He is a monster and a headache for defenses.

Way to go to our probowl DE's !

MaxV
12-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Ok, I'm glad we won and clinched the playoff spot, but we have weaknesses.

This O-Line isn't good at run-blocking.

Also, our defense gave up a TON of yards tonight.

RCAChainGang
12-18-2008, 10:28 PM

Well the run blocking is not usual. But otherwise isn't that how it usually is?

Peyton is gonna respond to every score. We find a way to win every game. Reggie Wayne just summed it all up.

"We haven't been running the ball all year, but we have always found a way to win."

Geo
12-18-2008, 10:33 PM
Let's be honest, guys:

How much better did the offense look tonight w/o Marvin Harrison? Dallas Clark and Anthony Gonzalez deserve the looks, and Gijon Robinson now looks like a keeper.

Peyton Manning = amazing. If he started the year off healthy, obviously the team would have a better record now.

RCAChainGang
12-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Let's be honest, guys:

How much better did the offense look tonight w/o Marvin Harrison? Dallas Clark and Anthony Gonzalez deserve the looks, and Gijon Robinson now looks like a keeper.

Peyton Manning = amazing. If he started the year off healthy, obviously the team would have a better record now.

They looked great. I agree Geo Marvin is dead weight.

Gijon Robinson has made me smile. He is definitely a keeper. He seems to have taken Utecht's niche in the offense.

Geo
12-18-2008, 10:35 PM

Running the ball was much more successful running to the left side over the right side, but of course Tom Moore couldn't get that through his skull until midway through the third quarter at best.

And get Darrell Reid out of the offense, period. The one-back set is what got you here, stay with it. Don't dictate for the defense what you're going to do.