PDA

View Full Version : Official 2008 Season Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

RCAChainGang
12-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Running the ball was much more successful running to the left side over the right side, but of course Tom Moore couldn't get that through his skull until midway through the third quarter at best.

And get Darrell Reid out of the offense, period. The one-back set is what got you here, stay with it. Don't dictate for the defense what you're going to do.

Speaking of Darrel Reid was that special team play not amazing. Haha he took two blocks out and stunned the kick returner.

Geo
12-18-2008, 10:38 PM
They looked great. I agree Geo Marvin is dead weight.
It's almost Christmas time so I don't want to call him dead weight (which I have before though), but there's no way anyone can justify keeping him next year at his current contract. No way, Jose. Let the Colts fans who do want to keep him at that price pay for it out of their own pockets, not Mr. Irsay because that money needs to be spent elsewhere.

Even at a cheap price, I'd rather have Clark and Gonzalez get more looks than Harrison hanging around.

Geo
12-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Speaking of Darrel Reid was that special team play not amazing. Haha he took two blocks out and stunned the kick returner.
Tyjuan Hagler laid an awesome shot tonight too, and he also made a great tackle. Bench Buster Davis and play Hagler, if Brackett isn't ready imo.

Geo
12-18-2008, 10:40 PM
1. The Colts were lucky to win this game tonight.

2. MVPeyton Manning.

3. Colts' special teams coverage is getting worse as the season is progressing.

4. Reggie Wayne, Jags killer. Maurice Jones-Drew, Colts killer.

5. Vinatieri just missed a short FG left, but came up with a clutch 45-yard FG later. Keiwan Ratliff also redeemed himself with a pick six.

RCAChainGang
12-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Tyjuan Hagler laid an awesome shot tonight too, and he also made a great tackle. Bench Buster Davis and play Hagler, if Brackett isn't ready imo.

Agreed. Buster Davis looks terrible. And I hate his attitude. Notice how he celebrates after a shoe string tackle? Ridiculous. Get in the huddle and make another play.

Geo
12-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Ugh, that annoys me so much. He celebrates when the opponent gets a 3-yard rush, gtfo with that. He might become a decent player if he didn't have an attitude, no wonder he's on his third team in as many years.

Also, Raheem Brock finally made a big play this season! That sack on Garrard was big, as well as the game-clincher fittingly shared by Freeney and Mathis.

MaxV
12-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Typical Florida St. guy. Yeah, I've said it.

Back to OL discussion. Look, I understand that we value quickness and athleticism in our OL's, but this isn't a dance recital, it's the NFL.

I am convinced that we have the weakest (power-wise) OL in the NFL.

Plus Peyton's quick decision-making makes them look better at pass-blocking then what they actually are.

This needs to change.

Geo
12-18-2008, 10:48 PM
The number one goal for the OL is to protect Peyton ... although they aren't even doing that very well. Maybe it's to be expected with two new starting guards, both players having never played guard before this season.

Geo
12-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Colts are in the playoffs, they clinch the 5th seed in the AFC!

Congrats. Now we can finally talk about the playoffs.

I think I'm rooting for Denver to be the #4 seed. The Jets are struggling, but their running game and playing at Giants Stadium scares me some.

Dam8610
12-19-2008, 12:01 AM
2. MVPeyton Manning.

He's certainly gotten a lot of talk toward that today. In this weak statistical year, Manning has certainly put together quite the case in the last 8 games with 2100+ yards, and a 16/3 TD/INT ratio. I really hope he wins it this year, after looking at the name of the award, I really don't know who else it could go to.

Geo
12-19-2008, 12:04 AM
It doesn't mean the world to me if he wins it or doesn't, I wish for him getting another Super Bowl title instead, but to me Peyton is the leading candidate and the likely winner.

Geo
12-19-2008, 10:46 AM
"Slinging it, Manning channels Baugh" (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-7-162/Slingin--it--Manning-channels-Baugh.html)

This is a good read, check it out. Kuharsky is the only guy at ESPN worth reading imo, he does a good job as the AFC South blogger.

MaxV
12-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Great article. Sammy Baugh was a pioneer. I'm glad Peyton looked up to him.

BTW, did you guys see the block Bob Sanders threw on that Ratliff's Pick-6? The 5'-8" 200lbs Bob smoked one of those HUGE Jags' O-linemen.

Geo
12-20-2008, 11:41 PM
"Dungy's plan vs. Titans: rest for the injured" (http://www.indystar.com/article/20081220/SPORTS03/812200360/1058/SPORTS03)

Interesting excerpt:

"We'll have to sit down and look at it and see who can play and what we want to do,'' Dungy said. "I know our guys want to play and they'd like to keep on performing. They'd like to get that 12th win. We'll see. It's a little too early to tell yet.''

Freeney said it might be beneficial to take a few repetitions against Tennessee, "but we went about nine, 10 straight weeks of not getting any rest. It's important that we get some.''

Rhodes agreed. He has handled the ball 44 times the past two games -- 34 rushes, 10 receptions -- while Joseph Addai has been out with a shoulder injury.

"I kind of banged up my rib a little bit,'' Rhodes said. "I need some rest now.''
Maybe we're underestimating how much rest could help some of the players.

Dam8610
12-21-2008, 12:13 AM
Maybe we're underestimating how much rest could help some of the players.

Maybe, but then I look at those diametrically opposed playoff records based on resting the starters in Week 17, and I want them to play to the final whistle they get.

Geo
12-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Looks like San Diego will win the AFC West next week. Ugh, I really don't want to see the Chargers and to play them at San Diego again. Playing at Denver had better match-ups imo.

UKfan
12-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Looks like San Diego will win the AFC West next week. Ugh, I really don't want to see the Chargers and to play them at San Diego again. Playing at Denver had better match-ups imo.

I was just thinking that, Denver I think would be a win, but I don't like the Chargers match up.

Geo
12-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Even if the Chargers' pass defense is still struggling, the Colts cannot run the ball against San Diego. They just can't, not against their personnel. Plus their offense as so many weapons at every single position, including two big receivers and two runningbacks versed in the passing game. Matchups across the board that are not in the Colts' favor, I hate it.

The one benefit is that the weather could be pretty good, which helps the Colts. As has been the case all season, their passing attack will have to win the game.

My guess is whoever wins the West hosts the Sunday 1 pm et game. At least if that's San Diego, they aren't used to playing that early.

Hopefully both teams demolish each other this Sunday night.

Geo
12-22-2008, 11:18 AM
I really hope the Colts beat the Titans this Sunday.

1. To keep the consecutive 12-win seasons streak, and the current winning streak, alive.

2. To get it in the Titans' heads that they beat the Colts once this season like they did in 06 and 07, and it's going to stay only once.

I've been giving it some thought, and I definitely support giving the starters rest. Maybe a quarter for Peyton and some of the guys on offense, a full half would be great.

They're too important, and unlike some other past years, the Colts don't have a bye week next week to really screw with their rhythm. I guess the similar scenario would be 2004, when Peyton played all of one snap or drive at Denver, but then they creamed the Broncos at home the next week.

So if it's the Colts' back-up who have to get the job done against the Titans(' backups), so be it. I'll be rooting hard for those guys to pull it off. Marcus Howard will come after you, Vince Young. I remember: Roy Hall is a beast.

UKfan
12-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Maybe just get Peyton to 4000 yards on the year? (He has 3907).

Geo
12-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Ah yes. There is that, and I think Peyton will get it playing at home and the Titans having no Haynesworth or Vanden Bosch.

Also, Harrison needs 7 catches to pass Cris Carter for second all-time in receptions. This should be his last chance to get it in a Colts uniform imo.

And if it was up to me, he wouldn't start in the playoffs. He can't do anything against Jammer or Bailey, the best thing he could do is be a decoy for either of those two players and have Gonzalez attack a nickel/dime corner instead. If the Colts are willing to go four wide, that is.

Especially if Harrison isn't 100 percent, remember last year? His pathetic fumble completely changed the complexion of the game, because he didn't play before that game. Please Coach Dungy, let him be the fourth receiver ... but I am positive Coach Dungy will let him play and will start him. When Harrison is dealing with a hurt hammy, ugh.

I'll never be happier with a 6M cap charge over two years, once the franchise is finally rid of that finesse, overpaid, postseason failure.

Geo
12-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Some additional positives for the Colts:
The Chargers defense is improved under Ron Rivera, but still not as good as last year.
Peyton Manning in his last two games against the Chargers:
@ IND, Jan 07: 33/48 for 402, 3 TDs, 2 Ints (we know the story of these picks.)
@ SD, Nov 07: 32/44 for 255, 2 TDs, 1 Int
With Jeff Saturday playing, Peyton won't have to be worn down handling the additional lines calls for rookie center Jamey Richard. Saturday went out after the first drive in SD.
The Colts didn't do too bad of a job running against them last game, actually. 23 total rushes for 91 yards, almost a 4.0 average. Addai averaged 4.375, and he should be healthy and rested going into this game.
SD doesn't have Michael Turner to pound the ball, north-south, against the Colts anymore. Maybe they try and use rookie Jacob Hester in a similar role, although he's more of a FB hybrid.
The health of the secondary. The earlier game had:
1. No Bob Sanders.
2. Kelvin Hayden's first game back after missing some weeks with a knee injury.
3. The rest of a young secondary having less experience playing together.

Geo
12-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Last game of the regular season, and most likely the last game in the Oil Drum until next season ... unless the Colts and Ravens advance to the AFC Championship Game (please happen).

Hopefully the Colts' first team and second team can get win #12, cap off a great season-half run with a high note.

Expect to see a lot of Najeh Davenport today, I think he could pound away at the Titans. Maybe we'll also see strong contributions from Roy Hall and Pierre Garcon too, the Colts' two budding young receivers.

I wouldn't even dress Freeney and Mathis, it's not worth it to play those guys ten or twelve snaps. Let them be inactive and have the youngsters like Marcus Howard and Curtis Johnson play the whole game.

TitanHope
12-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Jim Sorgi vs Vince Young.

This is gonna be epic.

:D

Geo
12-28-2008, 12:18 PM
First Colts' kickoff return of the game, Garcon delivers a 52-yard return. Which is negated by a block in the back penalty, Colts start at the 10-yard line.

First Titans' kickoff return of the game, Carr takes it to the 50-yard line.

All par for the course under Russ Purnell.

Can the Colts please get a new special teams coach already? How bad does Russ Purnell have to continue being?

Geo
12-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Congrats to Dallas Clark for breaking Hall of Fame TE John Mackey's single season receiving yards mark. I really like the screens they ran for him today.

Re-signing Clark was pricey, but he's worth it. Or close to it that you can accept his contract.

Geo
12-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Congrats to Marvin Harrison, passing Cris Carter for second all-time on career receptions.

Geo
12-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Pierre Garcon and Roy Hall looking good imo, Garcon a little moreso.

Excited by both of these guys.

UKfan
12-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Lance Ball??? Eh, I'll take the win, and glad to see Peyton get his 4000.

Dam8610
12-28-2008, 02:54 PM
When was the last time the Colts had a shutout? December of 2000?

Geo
12-28-2008, 03:32 PM
5. Some young guys looked good today, especially Garcon and Marcus Howard. Of course Antonio Johnson.

4. I'm thinking the Colts have great options at RB this offseason, if they want to continue having a dependable vet. They could re-sign Dom Rhodes of course, but Edge is bound to be cut by the Cardinals, Fred Taylor might too by the Jags, and Najeh Davenport looked good today. Lance Ball looked like a really good fit too, he did a stellar job with the stretch play and ran hard. With Mike Hart and Chad Simpson in the fold, and Joseph Addai as the starter of course, the Colts are much better of at RB than a year ago this time.

3. Peyton, continuing to be very sharp. Hopefully he rides this into the playoffs and keeps it going, that would be fantastic. Jim Sorgi was inaccurate the first drive, but looked pretty good afterwards. Probably the best I've ever seen Sorgi play, especially with how he was moving around in the pocket. Although as usually the case with the Sorginator, he can't lead the offense to touchdowns.

2. Congrats to the records set, previously mentioned.

and finally

1. First shutout of the Dungy era!

Unless I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure it is. So awesome. This has been a frustrating season, but also very rewarding and special. Whatever happens in the playoffs, happens. But this is a season I'll remember for sometime, I think.

And getting the 12th win of the season!

If this is Coach Dungy's last season with the Colts, which I don't think it is but it could be, this is a great regular season to go out on. The 9-game win streak to finish the year, and the shutout to cap it all off.

Great season, and best of luck to the team in the playoffs. I think they've developed a certain confidence that could prove useful in the postseason.

CashmoneyDrew
12-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Good game today guys. I think we learned today that your backups>our backups. :D

Geo
12-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Colts had a freakishly good first quarter/half to the game that essentially set up the rest of the game.

The Titans wanting to get the game over with without anyone getting hurt (Roethlisberger left that game on a stretcher???), which I'm pretty sure they accomplished.

Can't recall any Colts getting dinged up earlier either, although Harrison didn't look close to 100 percent imo. But he gutted it out to get the record in a Colts uniform.

But good to see both teams got out of it relatively unscathed.

Dam8610
12-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Good game today guys. I think we learned today that your backups>our backups. :D

Our team's starters beat your team's starters! Remember that? :rolleyes:

CashmoneyDrew
12-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Our team's starters beat your team's starters! Remember that? :rolleyes:

Eh, half of our starters sat out and the other half only played one or 2 drives so..... :P

Geo
12-28-2008, 04:32 PM
The Colts have made NFL history, giving up 6 passing TDs all season!

Dam8610
12-28-2008, 04:52 PM
The Colts have made NFL history, giving up 6 passing TDs all season!

As well as becoming the first team in NFL history to win 12+ games in 6 consecutive seasons.

Eh, half of our starters sat out and the other half only played one or 2 drives so..... :P

It was the same for the Colts last year, didn't stop Titans fans from saying that, so :p right back.

TitanHope
12-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Hey guys. I just wanted to say that I won a bet with Jeff Fisher and he let me and a couple of my friends suit up and play defense!

Now, before you guys laugh, I am 5'6, and thus have the weapon of leverage. So who's laughing now, eh?

RCAChainGang
12-28-2008, 09:45 PM
I would love to have Edge back or even better Fred Taylor!

But let's be honest... We need an O-line. That's where the problem is. great pass blocking but medeocre run blocking.

I am a big fan of Chad Simpson and I'd love to see him in the backfield more often.

I don't want to play San Diego but let's get ready!

MaxV
12-28-2008, 10:01 PM
No Edge, please. He's finished. He wouldn't be able to gain a yard behind this "powerful" line.

Looks like they are headed to San Diego. Just like everyone else, I would've prefered Denver, but we have no choice.

I still like our chances.

Geo
12-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Colts at Chargers this Saturday night, 8:00 pm et, on NBC.

I like that time:
Silly as it sounds, Colts have won their Sat playoff games. And usually play well on primetime, they live up to the spotlight.
Hopefully it's good weather in San Diego, starting 5 pm on the west coast. Although this time of year, it's rainy. Granted today was like 70 degrees for me, living about an hour-and-change drive from SD. :p
San Diego doesn't have to travel, but at least they have one less day to prepare/rest up.

UKfan
12-29-2008, 12:33 PM
8pm et sucks! I have to stay up til like 4am to watch the whole game or just record it and not ruin the surprise, crap!

Geo
12-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Oh, that's tough. Staying up at that time and watching the whole game is tough, I'd probably try to start sleeping earlier the night or two before to wake up that early.

Geo
12-29-2008, 01:22 PM
What I would consider the big keys for each side of the ball and special teams:

Offense/Special teams return
1. Don't turn the ball over.

Can't afford to turn the ball over, especially when that energizes the Chargers in front of their home crowd. They feast on turnovers. And Indy turnovers is the biggest factor by far for their last two losses to the Chargers. Colts need to not turn the ball over, win the turnover battle.

Defense/Special teams coverage
1. Don't give up the big play.
2. Get to Phillip Rivers.

The Chargers, probably more than any other team in the league, are built for the big play offensively. Getting to Rivers and pressuring him would do help combat that a great deal, be it Freeney or Mathis or any other Colts defender who can get through to get him to do so. Come on Antoine Bethea, be a ballhawk free safety and have your best game of the season.

Obviously, those aren't the most specific of keys. They pretty much apply to every game, just like:
- score TDs, hold them to FGs
- don't commit penalties
- make big plays

Notes
LDT looked very spry last night, which is worrisome. Colts usually do a good job of containing him in the running game, although he and Darren Sproles in the passing game have hurt the Colts and might do so again if they aren't defended well.
Joseph Addai looked pretty spry himself yesterday. He's done some good running against the Chargers the last two games, even if the average may not show it, and I think that continues this Saturday. Maybe even to the tune of a great game, I have a gut feeling. He and Dom Rhodes are going to be big in moving the chains, whether it be on the ground or through the air.
Denver didn't attack the field enough last night, I felt. They ran too many WR screens, and Shaun Phillips does a great job of disrupting those, sometimes creating interceptions with deflection in the passing lane. I'd rather Peyton check out of a similar play unless they have someone who can immediately chip or get to Phillips, or try screens to the other side instead if they want to run it.
San Diego has had trouble covering tight ends all season long. Gijon Robinson probably won't take advantage of that, hopefully Dallas Clark does.

Geo
12-31-2008, 12:39 PM
Gary Brackett ruled out for the game, Tyjuan Hagler and Freddy Keiaho say they'll play WLB and MLB respectively. (http://www.indystar.com/article/20081231/SPORTS03/812310373/1058/SPORTS03)

Sucks for Brackett, but at least the team is starting Hagler and not Davis. Thank goodness. This isn't the time to mess around, just like in the second halves of the Detroit and Jacksonville games when they stopped the Buster Davis experiment and put Hagler in, so that they could win.

Hagler at WLB is exciting, he might be more of a tackling machine than any other linebacker on the roster. And they'll need his speed, agility, and striking ability against San Diego, especially if ballcarriers are funneled to him at WLB.

Also, please no missed tackles by Clint Session.

Dam8610
01-01-2009, 11:45 AM
I really wish they'd put Hagler at SLB where he started for most of last year and move Session to WLB, where his instinct to flow to the ball would be a strength rather than a weakness.

UKfan
01-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Hmmm, I'm getting more nervy about this game....

Also, on a side note, my mum got me a brick in the Colts Walk Of Fame and Lucas Oil field for my birthday, so cool :D

Geo
01-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Peyton Manning wins third MVP (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/02/mvp.ap/index.html), congrats to him. Well deserved.

Funny note, tomorrow night's forecast in Denver per weather.com is ~25 degrees (feels like ~13) and snow showers. :D

Geo
01-03-2009, 10:01 AM
So today's the big day! Best of luck to the Colts, hopefully they can come out of SD with a win like they did in '08. ;)

Ultimately, I feel good about the Colts' chances of moving the ball offensively through the air (especially) and even on the ground at times, although that might require running to the left side moreso than the right side. Both starting right guard Mike Pollak and fellow rookie Jamey Richard didn't make the trip to SD, they're out for the game, so Dan Federkeil is starting at RG. I'm a touch worried about that, but Federkeil has played a little bit this year and at least got the whole week of practice with the rest of the guys.

Having Jeff Saturday for hopefully the whole game this time probably doesn't improve the run game any, but should certainly help the passing game and allow Peyton to focus on attacking the Chargers' pass coverages and finding the open receivers. Gonzalez has been a Chargers killers so far, hopefully he continues that, as does Dallas Clark is coming into the game playing his best football. Reggie Wayne is healthier now than he was for the reg season match-up, and although I don't think Marvin Harrison is close to 100 percent yet, he showed last week he might still be able to run some good routes to help convert for a first down.

Defensively, I'm excited that Freeney and Mathis have had a week to recharge their batteries and hopefully it shows by them harassing Rivers all day long and helping to create turnovers. Also, with Keiaho at MLB and Hagler at WLB, with those three linebackers set as they are, I have a gut feeling they might make a big play or two. If I had to guess, LDT will probably be okay but Antonio Gates might not be close to 100 percent. If I had to guess.

The one thing I'm worried about is the condition of the field. Not that that will necessarily hurt the Colts on offense, the receivers will know where to go so they might not slip as much as the Chargers defenders, but I hope no one gets hurt. Freeney suffered a devastating injury there in '07, I don't want to see that happen again to either team. Should be a good game, probably a close game, and hopefully the Colts can return the favor for last year's disappointing home loss.

scottyboy
01-03-2009, 10:56 AM
it's a damn shame Brackett is out. that pisses me off. BUT, I know Eric Foster will make it up with at least one sack and a forced or recovered fumble tonight, I'm feeling it!!

MaxV
01-03-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm so pissed off right now, I can't even think straight.

Geo
01-03-2009, 11:21 PM
1. Congrats to the Chargers, they played like the better team tonight and won.

2. Same faults all season rear their head tonight: offense can't convert short yardage enough, bad offensive playcalling, the offensive line disappoints, the defense gives up third down and longs, and special teams other than Vinatieri is garbage. Superstars like Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Anthony Gonzalez, Dwight Freeney, and Robert Mathis kept it very close with their big plays.

3. All that said, the Colts defense pulled two turnovers out of their ... hats ... to put the offense in position to win. Convert 3rd and 2 to win the game. 3 yards to win the game, and they couldn't do it. Period.

4. The defense was bad at times, but the offense didn't do enough. 17 points wasn't enough, and as we said, not even another point but they just needed to get 3 yards. The Colts were lucky to get the Wayne TD, that was a stroke of crafty luck.

5. Colts' special teams wasn't in the same zip code as Chargers' special teams. Not even in the same country.

Bonus 5

6. Ron Winter, watch your back. Not that I'd do anything myself, but you never know what might happen.

7. Dwight Freeeny, Robert Mathis: magnificient.

8. By my count: two offensive holding plays against the Colts. Two defensive holding penalties against the Colts. Zero offensive holding penalties by the Chargers. And if you watched the game, well ...

9. Any opposing receiver over the middle, all day every day.

10. Antoine Bethea, I've already been counting the days until you finish your rookie contract, but now I'm hoping you get cut to leave this team sooner.

And finally

Another one and done for the Colts. I'm sick of this ****. So sick and tired.

Geo
01-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Still a great regular season these guys had, and another great playoff game between these two teams. Just like Coach Dungy said, the Colts played their guts out but ultimately couldn't execute enough to win.

Unfortunately if your a Colts fan, the ending tears your heart from your chest. But a great regular season and playoff game for the ages, the heart and character these guys showed was awesome. If they can match it in the next few years, I'm sure they'll get back to the big game again.

RCAChainGang
01-04-2009, 12:30 PM
I just really don't have much to say about the game...

Just classic Colts. One and done.

Congrats to San Diego and San Diego fans.

There is always next year...

Philliez01
01-04-2009, 12:39 PM
The whole playoff season is ruined for me.

I'm not mad, well yes I am obviously, but it was a different feeling this year as opposed to the last few playoff losses. It was almost a point beyond anger. Like been there, done that, what else is new? Peyton, Gonzo, Mathis, Freeney, Wayne and Jennings did a good job last night. Others had great games but made critical mistakes like Clint Session.

I don't believe in singling out players at all. Team wins. Team loses. But Bethea is not a bad safety, but he's dreadfully out of position. He's Idrees Bashir with more talent. He won't be able to work here, and I bid him well but please cut your losses BP.

Joseph Addai. The OL wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but why are the Colts running him up the middle? I guess the Stretch play wouldn't work as well last night? His job could be in jeopardy given his injury history, am I right in believing that? Or am I just in shock about the game?

It's funny that we, fans, have the fastest defense in the league but get burned by a speedy, change of pace back. I hate it, but I usually understand when the big backs destroy our defense. It's quite to be expected. But blech. If Ed Johnson weren't an idiot, who knows what would've happened. Keyunta and Eric Foster are high-energy guys, don't get me wrong and belong on this team, but wouldn't it be nice to have a big guy again?

Jeff Saturday is in his last season of his contract. What to do with him?

RCAChainGang
01-04-2009, 12:58 PM
The whole playoff season is ruined for me.

I'm not mad, well yes I am obviously, but it was a different feeling this year as opposed to the last few playoff losses. It was almost a point beyond anger. Like been there, done that, what else is new? Peyton, Gonzo, Mathis, Freeney, Wayne and Jennings did a good job last night. Others had great games but made critical mistakes like Clint Session.

I think I felt the exact same way. It almost felt destined to be a one and done. I could just feel it. About halftime I was just hoping we could find a way to get some points. (Turns out to be a quick snap heh). I however still will enjoy the playoffs because my father is a Dolphins fan and I like the Dolphins a bit. I also live in TN so I have to deal with all the crap they give me. I still would enjoy seeing the Titans represent AFC South. Finally, I would like to see the Cards go far into the playoffs. I like Kurt Warner.

I don't believe in singling out players at all. Team wins. Team loses. But Bethea is not a bad safety, but he's dreadfully out of position. He's Idrees Bashir with more talent. He won't be able to work here, and I bid him well but please cut your losses BP.

I agree about Bethea. I can't wait until his rookie contract is up. I like Melvin Bullit a whole lot. Maybe he could make the switch to FS?

Joseph Addai. The OL wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but why are the Colts running him up the middle? I guess the Stretch play wouldn't work as well last night? His job could be in jeopardy given his injury history, am I right in believing that? Or am I just in shock about the game?

Joseph Addai in my eyes is in no danger of losing his job. It is the lines fault this season. I wasn't surprised to see us run the ball terribly. I wish we would run the ball left more towards Charlie Johnson and Ugoh, but we keep running it to our weak side... The O-line needs serious work...

It's funny that we, fans, have the fastest defense in the league but get burned by a speedy, change of pace back. I hate it, but I usually understand when the big backs destroy our defense. It's quite to be expected. But blech. If Ed Johnson weren't an idiot, who knows what would've happened. Keyunta and Eric Foster are high-energy guys, don't get me wrong and belong on this team, but wouldn't it be nice to have a big guy again?

I agree with you here as well. I would love to get a big and smart guy here in the middle. Ugh if we had the money think about Hayensworth... but enough dreaming. We need a good DT from the draft to fix that problem. I also wish Darrel Reid got more play time at DT. And the key to Sphroles's success was arm tackling. Just sloppy tackling...

Jeff Saturday is in his last season of his contract. What to do with him?

I honestly have no idea. Its pick your poison now... with Kelvin Hayden, Marlin Jackson, and Jeff Saturday... Sigh

Geo
01-04-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm willing to let Jeff Saturday walk, and go with promising youngster Jamey Richard. He might even help the interior running game a bit. But if the team re-signs Saturday at a good price, that would be okay. Just don't overspend, given Saturday's age and money better spent on younger free agents (Hayden, Jackson, Ugoh) the team should re-sign over the next two years or so. I'd rather go with Richard or Pollak or Justice, myself.

Thankfully next year we get Ryan Lilja back, who even when Jake Scott was here, was easily the best run-blocker of the two guards. Ugoh-Lilja-Saturday would do some really good things in the run game, making holes for Addai to go through - see 2007.

Harrison has had a super career with the Colts, a Hall of Fame career, but it's time to move on. The greatest wide receiver who ever played, Jerry Rice, didn't play for the Forty-Niners his whole career. It is what it is, but the Colts need to get younger.

Bethea, I'm extremely frustrated with because he has the tackling acumen of Cato June. But if the run defense can get really good like in '07, that allows Bethea to focus solely on coverage and he's okay to good there. I'd keep him through his rookie contract, I mean we're talking about a starter at the price of a 6th round rookie contract. You could bench him for Melvin Bullitt and still keep Bethea as an experienced back-up for '09. Unless they draft a safety and/or pick one up in UDFA, such that there's a numbers game and someone needs to go, might as well keep Bethea for his last year.

I want to keep Jordan Senn, I think he's a fine special teams player and a decent back-up WLB. Buster Davis can go.

Geo
01-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Three things:

1. I know that there's a contingent of Colts' fans out there who want to put this playoff loss on Coach Dungy. I certainly wouldn't, however. Coach has put his players in position to win both playoff games the last two years, and they didn't get it done. He absolutely put them in position to win, and they did not get it done. And not just the defense, the offense came up short in both January losses to the Chargers.

It's not on him, he's not the problem at all. Listen to his exit presser on the Colts' website, he says it exactly like it is. Although he doesn't call out guys who bear some of the blame, Peyton included for not doing enough offensively, which is smart.

2. Everyone sounds absolutely gutted in the exit interviews, just like they were yesterday in the postgame. Kelvin Hayden, gutted. Give me that guy on my team any Sunday. And Dungy told them today to use that disappointment as added fuel for next year.

3. I'm really excited about this team for next year. Really excited. The running game will absolutely improve, and the defense will add some extra depth including one more DT at least. Yeah, Tom Brady might be back for the Patriots next year so that's another tough opponent to have to face, but I think the Colts have a great shot to win it all next year.

Plus the schedule has them playing the NFC West and the AFC East, so if they are breaking in a new receiver in place of Harrison, next season is as good a time to do it as any. All the young guys they drafted this year, the offensive linemen and the tight ends, will all have a year under their belts next year. They just need to win the division next year, which they were so close to doing this season even with all the injuries the offense was dealing with and the run defense struggling early on.

Btw, Super Bowl XLIV next year? Played in Dolphin Stadium in Miami, the same site where the Colts won SB XLI. Go for two in a row! :D

Dam8610
01-05-2009, 12:27 PM
1. Congrats to the Chargers, they played like the better team tonight and won.

2. Same faults all season rear their head tonight: offense can't convert short yardage enough, bad offensive playcalling, the offensive line disappoints, the defense gives up third down and longs, and special teams other than Vinatieri is garbage. Superstars like Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Anthony Gonzalez, Dwight Freeney, and Robert Mathis kept it very close with their big plays.

3. All that said, the Colts defense pulled two turnovers out of their ... hats ... to put the offense in position to win. Convert 3rd and 2 to win the game. 3 yards to win the game, and they couldn't do it. Period.

4. The defense was bad at times, but the offense didn't do enough. 17 points wasn't enough, and as we said, not even another point but they just needed to get 3 yards. The Colts were lucky to get the Wayne TD, that was a stroke of crafty luck.

5. Colts' special teams wasn't in the same zip code as Chargers' special teams. Not even in the same country.

Bonus 5

6. Ron Winter, watch your back. Not that I'd do anything myself, but you never know what might happen.

7. Dwight Freeeny, Robert Mathis: magnificient.

8. By my count: two offensive holding plays against the Colts. Two defensive holding penalties against the Colts. Zero offensive holding penalties by the Chargers. And if you watched the game, well ...

9. Any opposing receiver over the middle, all day every day.

10. Antoine Bethea, I've already been counting the days until you finish your rookie contract, but now I'm hoping you get cut to leave this team sooner.

And finally

Another one and done for the Colts. I'm sick of this ****. So sick and tired.

Who would've thought a PUNTER could give his team 17 points? Not I, but that's exactly what Scifres did for the Chargers. 3 punts to the 1 result in 3 Colts 3 and outs, which lead to 3 short fields for the Chargers, which are the only 3 times the Chargers score in regulation. Without a doubt Scifres was the Chargers MVP in that game, and I doubt he ever has a game like that again. Yes, the Chargers had a couple other long drives, but the defense eventually got the turnover, which is basically the design of the defense. Giving the opponent short fields really hurts that cause. In fact, on the final one (where Peyton should have thrown the ball to Addai, as was the design of the play, and was set up perfectly by the fact that the Chargers had NO ONE on Addai, he was wide open on the slant, but I digress), I was hoping Dungy would pull a Belichick, take the safety, and count on the kick coverage unit to make it a long field (they outperformed the punt coverage unit the entire game), and count on the defense to get a stop on a longer field. I think that would've worked, but I guess you could play the "what-if" game with any number of plays in that game.

As for what the Colts need to improve for next year, clearly the interior line on both sides of the ball need upgrading. It seemed like the only times the Colts could stop the run was when they had 8 in the box, which, while it illustrates the importance and effectiveness of Bob Sanders, needs to change. The Colts need DTs that can command a double team against the run as well as get after the QB. After the performance against San Diego, I really wouldn't mind if the team spent their first 3 picks there, it's not like there's really any other need. I know I just said the interior on both sides of the ball needs upgrading, but IMO the upgrade on the interior OL will come from within with the return of Lilja and the improvement of Pollak, Richard, and Justice. Other than those two areas, IMO this team is ready to go all the way.

Geo
01-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Scifres pinned the Colts within 10 yards of the endzone FIVE times. And a sixth punt was inside the 20. Sonofagun pulled the greatest game a punter has ever played. Of all the freaking times to do it. And Hunter Smith was average, and even if he kicked some okay balls Darren Sproles would return the ball 15-20 yards back anyways.

Re: the Chargers scoring on the short fields, I noticed that too. Check this out, here are the Chargers' scoring drives in regulation: 44 yds (TD), 45 yds (TD), and 30 yds (FG). Granted, there was the 78-yd drive in the 3rd where the Colts were lucky enough to create the fumble at the 2-yd line. Afterwards came the 24-yd drive, which started on the Chargers' 44-yd line (ridiculous) that resulted in an interception.

But the offense, Peyton Manning definitely included, gets as much blame if not moreso. Check out the offensive drives in the second half of the game.

3rd Quarter
Start Time - Time Poss - Drive Began - # of Plays - Net Yards - Result
15:00 - 2:34 - IND 26 - 5 - 40 - Downs
09:42 - 1:32 - IND 9 - 5 - 91 - Touchdown
02:05 - 1:07 - IND 20 - 3 - 4 - Punt

4th Quarter
12:17 - 6:19 - IND 21 - 10 - 22 - Punt
02:41 - 0:53 - IND 1 - 3 - 0 - Punt
00:31 - 0:31 - IND 19 - 4 - 12 - End of Half

Peyton came up short, just like he did last year against the Chargers. Have to call it like it is. We'll never know what would have happened in '06, on the game-winning drive against the Patriots, if instead of rushing Addai three straight times they passed the ball on first down like Peyton was planning to (and/or Tom Moore called).

And I suppose you can fault Dungy here too, like last year for not taking the FG on 4th down and goal, for not taking the safety. Although San Diego, even without any timeouts remaining, still would have had around 1:45 or so left on the clock and if they got the FG, would have automatically won the game 19-17. Too risky, I'd rather have a chance in overtime that the offense could get the ball. And they should have gotten the ball at okay position, if the defense could get off the damn field on 3rd and 11.

Although it must be said that Dallas Clark and Anthony Gonzalez each let a very catchable ball go right through their fingers (saw that before this year). as for the 3rd and 2 to win the game, I never got a good look at that play. So Addai was lined up wide left? Why didn't Peyton throw him the ball? Was the defender Dallas Clark was trying to block in the way? And from what I heard, Gijon Robinson was the guy who was supposed to block the blitzer. Seemed both TEs got off the line way late on that play.

And in the regular season game, it was Dallas Clark who didn't block Shaun Phillips on the 3rd and 1 on the final drive, although thankfully the Colts converted the 4th and 1 or 2 or whatever it was as they marched down to kick the GW FG. Both TEs disappointing in the final seconds with their blocking.

I can recall the Colts really running to the left side twice all game: the first, the Joseph Addai TD, and the second, Dom Rhodes had a great hole to help him convert a third down with some tough running. But here are all the plays NFL.com deemed left-oriented, some/most of them I think were more up the middle:

1-10-IND 33 (6:14) 29-J.Addai left tackle to IND 36 for 3 yards (99-I.Olshansky).
1-10-IND 3 (15:00) 38-D.Rhodes left tackle to IND 4 for 1 yard (99-I.Olshansky, 76-J.Williams).
3-1-SD 38 (8:10) 44-D.Clark left end pushed ob at SD 29 for 9 yards (32-E.Weddle). Great playcall this was.
3-7-IND 23 (:21) (Shotgun) 29-J.Addai left end ran ob at IND 34 for 11 yards (27-P.Oliver). This was right before halftime, negligible.
1-10-SD 43 (14:23) 29-J.Addai left tackle to SD 41 for 2 yards (94-J.Tucker, 76-J.Williams).
3-2-SD 49 (7:55) 38-D.Rhodes left end to SD 46 for 3 yards (20-A.Cason, 57-M.Wilhelm).
2-20-IND 44 (6:57) 29-J.Addai left tackle to IND 43 for -1 yards (32-E.Weddle, 94-J.Tucker).
2-4-IND 7 (2:36) 29-J.Addai left tackle to IND 9 for 2 yards (99-I.Olshansky, 76-J.Williams).

The first drive of the second half, the Colts offense really blew it. They started off great with a Reggie Wayne 31-yd reception, and got to 3rd and 1. I think Addai got a bad spot on the 2nd down reception he made, then he was stuffed on the run, and the Colts failed miserably on that passing play for 4th down. Ugh, they needed to score there.

They needed to come up with a score, 17 points wasn't enough.

The Reggie Wayne incomplete catch that was challenged, I was sure that was a reception. Positive, and I can't believe it wasn't overturned. I didn't get Al Michaels calling out Dungy for not challenging the Chris Chambers reception soon after, there was no inconclusive evidence to overturn that whatsoever.

Peyton Manning wasting downs by trying to go deep to Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison, disappointing. Just like it's been all season. And he was lucky two or three of his passes weren't intercepted. But he played well, he made some awesome throws and escaped a lot of pressure, it's just that the Colts needed one more play.

Geo
01-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Also, only four receptions for Addai, for 28 yards (7.0 avg). I want(ed) to see that number higher, especially as Joe averages more yards per reception than he does per rush because he's a shifty back who can make the first guy miss when he has some space.

Last year against the Chargers: 9 receptions for 67 yards (7.4 avg). That's the way to attack the Chargers, similar to how they hurt the Colts with those short dump-off passes when they're so concerned about you killing them down the field.

Remember how big he was in the '06 playoff run as a receiving threat? He set NFL postseason rookie records for most receptions (22) and yards from scrimmage (412). His 10 receptions in SB XLI is the most ever by a RB, or at least tied, if I recall.

Hopefully the Colts pass the ball to Joe more, especially if they re-sign Dom to help carry the rushing load or Mike Hart is fully recovered.

chad72
01-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Letting Jake Scott go and banking on retaining Ryan Lilja. We needed some veteran presence before we could rely on our rookies completely. Too much discontinuity on O-line to be overcome at the end. We were in the playoffs mainly because of our DEs and Peyton.

Sticking with Addai too much and not giving other RBs a chance. I liked what saw with Chad Simpson in the Titans game. I wish they could have used him for more run plays during the year thus giving us more options.

Drafting 2 rookies to replace 2 established TEs in Ben Utecht and Bryan Fletcher. Letting both go was a mistake since Gijon Robinson did not make the jump they thought he would. Lack of a 2nd TE production on blocking and receiving hurt us all year and did not give too many options to use 2 TE formations.

Needed more creative playcalling. That TE reverse on 3rd and 1 with Dallas Clark was ala Sean Payton like. Could have used more reverses in our play calling with our WRs as well. Plus, we could have tried using 4 WR formations to spread the defense and run from it, maybe use Garcon as a 4th WR since he blocks well even if he is not up to speed with the playbook.

One thing BP could not have anticipated is Pitcock quitting on us and Ed Johnson being a pothead. He tried all he could by getting Antonio Johnson at the DT spot. It just was not enough. In hindsight, if we drafted a DT in one of the first 3 picks, maybe we would have had depth and not had so many shuffles on D-line. Building depth on D-line and secondary is going to be important along with adapting to a no-holding-call-on-running league by focusing on running to increase Manning's longevity. There is no doubt BP looks at DT with the first 2 picks this year.

Looking at next year, things do look better if we have the same group on O-line with continuity. Re-sign Saturday, no ifs and buts there. Everyone else is expendable with our team. Hayden comes next after Saturday, being a CB in a Cover 2 scheme is not complicated. Marlin Jackson hopefully is ready for training camp, and most importantly Peyton will be.

Marvin's restructuring is inevitable since he will count 6-7 mil. towards salary cap anyway if he is cut, it is better to re-structure his contract for that 6-7 mil. and make him a 3rd option WR like an Amani Toomer with the Giants for the occasional surprise catch. With Garcon, Hall, and Tamme with another year of learning the playbook, the O is only going to get better thus reducing the need for Marvin. As far as RB, whether it is Chad Simpson or Mike Hart or Lance Ball, whoever runs best with the ball, give him the job. Forget loyalty, it is a what have you done for me lately league.

Dam8610
01-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Scifres pinned the Colts within 10 yards of the endzone FIVE times. And a sixth punt was inside the 20. Sonofagun pulled the greatest game a punter has ever played. Of all the freaking times to do it. And Hunter Smith was average, and even if he kicked some okay balls Darren Sproles would return the ball 15-20 yards back anyways.

This is EXACTLY why I wanted the Colts to take the safety on the last drive after the sack. At that point you're basically exchanging 2 points for 25-30 yards of field position, and considering the Chargers had had all of one long drive to that point, and that resulted in a fumble, plus Nate Kaeding is 1/5 on 40+ yard FGs in his career. At that point, taking the safety is playing the percentages IMO.

Re: the Chargers scoring on the short fields, I noticed that too. Check this out, here are the Chargers' scoring drives in regulation: 44 yds (TD), 45 yds (TD), and 30 yds (FG). Granted, there was the 78-yd drive in the 3rd where the Colts were lucky enough to create the fumble at the 2-yd line. Afterwards came the 24-yd drive, which started on the Chargers' 44-yd line (ridiculous) that resulted in an interception.

Exactly, short fields were the ONLY reason the Chargers scored any points in that game, it could've easily been a shutout had Scifres not played the best game ever for a punter. Such is the randomness of the playoffs though, that's why I never get how people get so frustrated over it.

But the offense, Peyton Manning definitely included, gets as much blame if not moreso. Check out the offensive drives in the second half of the game.

3rd Quarter
Start Time - Time Poss - Drive Began - # of Plays - Net Yards - Result
15:00 - 2:34 - IND 26 - 5 - 40 - Downs
09:42 - 1:32 - IND 9 - 5 - 91 - Touchdown
02:05 - 1:07 - IND 20 - 3 - 4 - Punt

4th Quarter
12:17 - 6:19 - IND 21 - 10 - 22 - Punt
02:41 - 0:53 - IND 1 - 3 - 0 - Punt
00:31 - 0:31 - IND 19 - 4 - 12 - End of Half

Peyton came up short, just like he did last year against the Chargers. Have to call it like it is. We'll never know what would have happened in '06, on the game-winning drive against the Patriots, if instead of rushing Addai three straight times they passed the ball on first down like Peyton was planning to (and/or Tom Moore called).

I think the only blame that should fall on Peyton here is not getting the ball to Addai on 3rd and 2. I think the blame for not getting 1 yard on the first drive of the half falls on the OL (on both plays).

And I suppose you can fault Dungy here too, like last year for not taking the FG on 4th down and goal, for not taking the safety. Although San Diego, even without any timeouts remaining, still would have had around 1:45 or so left on the clock and if they got the FG, would have automatically won the game 19-17. Too risky, I'd rather have a chance in overtime that the offense could get the ball. And they should have gotten the ball at okay position, if the defense could get off the damn field on 3rd and 11.

Like I said earlier, IMO it's playing the percentages at that point. You're up 3, you give them 2 and make them drive 50-60 yards for the win rather than 20 for the tie.

The first drive of the second half, the Colts offense really blew it. They started off great with a Reggie Wayne 31-yd reception, and got to 3rd and 1. I think Addai got a bad spot on the 2nd down reception he made, then he was stuffed on the run, and the Colts failed miserably on that passing play for 4th down. Ugh, they needed to score there.

They needed to come up with a score, 17 points wasn't enough.

The OL can't get a yard, why they would run on 3rd and 1 is beyond me. I don't get why they kept bringing Darrell Reid in, allowing SD to change their personnel, either.

The Reggie Wayne incomplete catch that was challenged, I was sure that was a reception. Positive, and I can't believe it wasn't overturned. I didn't get Al Michaels calling out Dungy for not challenging the Chris Chambers reception soon after, there was no inconclusive evidence to overturn that whatsoever.

I could see the play Dungy challenged going either way, it looked like it might have been a catch to me, ultimately I think it was one of those plays where whatever was called on the field would stand, but the Chambers play was fairly obviously not a catch, he never got the left foot down. That said, I can understand why he didn't challenge it, I'd rather have the challenge in the 2nd half than those 13 yards back, but I don't get why the booth couldn't review that play with the 2 minute warning coming right after it.

Peyton Manning wasting downs by trying to go deep to Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison, disappointing. Just like it's been all season. And he was lucky two or three of his passes weren't intercepted. But he played well, he made some awesome throws and escaped a lot of pressure, it's just that the Colts needed one more play.

It did work a couple of times in the game, and besides, no one can be perfect every game, and this team would have needed it from Manning to get where they wanted to go.

Letting Jake Scott go and banking on retaining Ryan Lilja. We needed some veteran presence before we could rely on our rookies completely. Too much discontinuity on O-line to be overcome at the end. We were in the playoffs mainly because of our DEs and Peyton.

Sticking with Addai too much and not giving other RBs a chance. I liked what saw with Chad Simpson in the Titans game. I wish they could have used him for more run plays during the year thus giving us more options.

Drafting 2 rookies to replace 2 established TEs in Ben Utecht and Bryan Fletcher. Letting both go was a mistake since Gijon Robinson did not make the jump they thought he would. Lack of a 2nd TE production on blocking and receiving hurt us all year and did not give too many options to use 2 TE formations.

Needed more creative playcalling. That TE reverse on 3rd and 1 with Dallas Clark was ala Sean Payton like. Could have used more reverses in our play calling with our WRs as well. Plus, we could have tried using 4 WR formations to spread the defense and run from it, maybe use Garcon as a 4th WR since he blocks well even if he is not up to speed with the playbook.

One thing BP could not have anticipated is Pitcock quitting on us and Ed Johnson being a pothead. He tried all he could by getting Antonio Johnson at the DT spot. It just was not enough. In hindsight, if we drafted a DT in one of the first 3 picks, maybe we would have had depth and not had so many shuffles on D-line. Building depth on D-line and secondary is going to be important along with adapting to a no-holding-call-on-running league by focusing on running to increase Manning's longevity. There is no doubt BP looks at DT with the first 2 picks this year.

Lilja got hurt in the preseason, who could've seen that coming? I'm sure if Polian had known that would happen, he would've re-signed Scott instead.

It's not Addai's fault the OL was letting defenders into the backfield, no RB can run well under those conditions.

Santi and Tamme actually both looked very good in the limited PT each got this year, maybe if the coaching staff had played them more, they would've shown more.

Trick plays may look nice when they work, the problem is they rarely work, that's why they're trick plays.

Hindsight is 20/20, and like you said, no one could have forseen Pitcock and Johnson screwing the team over. I think DT will be a high priority for the Colts in this year's draft.

Looking at next year, things do look better if we have the same group on O-line with continuity. Re-sign Saturday, no ifs and buts there. Everyone else is expendable with our team. Hayden comes next after Saturday, being a CB in a Cover 2 scheme is not complicated. Marlin Jackson hopefully is ready for training camp, and most importantly Peyton will be.

Hayden is priority #1 IMO, and I think the only way the team should re-sign Saturday is if he takes a below market value deal to stay, he's a leader, but his age is showing. I think next year this team won't be so snakebitten in the injury department in the preseason, which IMO should definitely help.

Marvin's restructuring is inevitable since he will count 6-7 mil. towards salary cap anyway if he is cut, it is better to re-structure his contract for that 6-7 mil. and make him a 3rd option WR like an Amani Toomer with the Giants for the occasional surprise catch. With Garcon, Hall, and Tamme with another year of learning the playbook, the O is only going to get better thus reducing the need for Marvin. As far as RB, whether it is Chad Simpson or Mike Hart or Lance Ball, whoever runs best with the ball, give him the job. Forget loyalty, it is a what have you done for me lately league.

I have a feeling Marvin is going to receive a June 1 designation, that is if he doesn't retire. I really hope he'll just retire.

Geo
01-05-2009, 10:45 PM
The OL can't get a yard, why they would run on 3rd and 1 is beyond me. I don't get why they kept bringing Darrell Reid in, allowing SD to change their personnel, either.
Agreed on both counts.

1. Bringing in Reid at FB: doesn't work. Cut it out. This is not the Colts' offense, stick with what got you there. Although they did that on the infamous 3rd and 2, but still.

2. Colts need to wear opposing defenses out. High tempo them to gas them and be more exposed to a lighter, quicker offense. Do not let them substitute, especially on third or fourth downs.

I get that the Colts were playing with young players at new positions this year, so hopefully we see more no-huddle next year. I really think 2009 is primed for the Colts, it's what they will have been building for the three years up to that point. I already can't wait.

** Re: the #2 TE position, it should be solidified come '09. Don't forget about Tom Santi, I absolutely still believe he will be a better #2 TE than Ben Utecht ever was. And maybe Gijon keeps improving, so there will be great competition and may the best man win. Jacob Tamme is great insurance in case anything happens to Dallas Clark, would be interesting to see him take the field along with Clark in a 4-receiver passing set.

** Assuming Richard takes over at center, there won't be a starter on the OL in '09 who won't have played their position before. They'll all have experience, and an offseason to boot to work and gel together. And you now the biggest focus for the Colts this offseason will be to get the running game going again (just like stopping the run was the focus after '06).

** New starters in '08 like Clint Session and Tim Jennings had some real growing pains, but showed good flashes and signs of improvement. Vincent Jackson didn't catch a single ball in the playoff game, that's incredible. They shut him out.