PDA

View Full Version : Chase Daniel

TheBuffaloBills
09-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Ok, this kid is truly amazing. I know he lacks the height but he makes up for it with everything else he can do. He is on top of my heisman list. Where do you think he will land in the draft?

jbeans187
09-21-2008, 08:54 AM
3rd or 4th round, due to his height and offense he plays in

Yatta!
09-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Late rounder - similar scenario to Troy Smith imo.

BeerBaron
09-21-2008, 10:11 AM
If:

a.) Missouri continues to dominate as a team and at least makes a BCS game

b.) Chase wins/comes very very close to the Heisman

c.) Chase plays very very well even against very tough competition (something Troy Smith, who Chase keeps getting compared to, didn't do in that championship game....)

I think he can work his way into being a possibly late first day pick. Right now I'd say him landing in the 3rd round is on the upside.

keylime_5
09-21-2008, 10:21 AM
5-11 QBs unfortunately fall to the midrounds. He can get into the 2nd round I think if he shows amazing accuracy at his workouts and good mechanics. Playing in that gimmick offense doesnt help his stock though, neither does lighting up a bunch of bad defenses. If Mizzou beat OU and wins the league this year I think Daniel will be in the top 2 or 3 for heisman. I have Daniel #1 right now on my heisman watch, no one else has seperated themselves yet.

Babylon
09-21-2008, 10:41 AM
The guy is mobile, a gritty leader and an extremely accurate passer, on the flip side he is short, plays in a pass happy system and has all world receivers.I made a comment in another forum that the Bears should take him in the 1st round. My thinking there was in the context of them taking another offensive lineman who is probably going to be available in the 2nd or 3rd round so why not reach on a postion of real need. Daniel to me is Drew Brees, who was a 2nd rounder(32nd pick). I do think he goes in round 2 but he may be a steal there.

BeerBaron
09-21-2008, 11:08 AM
The guy is mobile, a gritty leader and an extremely accurate passer, on the flip side he is short, plays in a pass happy system and has all world receivers.I made a comment in another forum that the Bears should take him in the 1st round. My thinking there was in the context of them taking another offensive lineman who is probably going to be available in the 2nd or 3rd round so why not reach on a postion of real need. Daniel to me is Drew Brees, who was a 2nd rounder(32nd pick). I do think he goes in round 2 but he may be a steal there.

to put it simply, no. not a chance.

Maybe in round.......3.........4........

no way its in the first. if the Bears can do decently this year and end up with a draft pick in the latter half of the first round, they can use it on an immediate starter who will help them right away. Hopefully a LG or maybe a RT.....DE and S are sleeper picks.....

but why go QB and basically spend a pick on a player who won't help for 2 or 3 more years? The Bears elected not to take a QB AT ALL in the most recent draft simply because they kept finding players who were available and could contribute more right away.

So lets get this out there right now. Unless the Bears take a drastic turn for the worse this year, there is no way they will be taking a QB in the first round in the 2009 NFL draft. Go ahead and quote me on it right now.

Cribbs>Hester
09-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Troy Smith was a bafoon who had zero sense of pass rush thus his pathetic play against good pass rushing teams ala lose to Penn State and game clinching fumble against Texas as a junior and then the pathetic showing against Florida.

That being said Chase Daniels has played much better with pressure and has the Quarterback clock and natural sense of a pass rush that Troy Smith never had, so if Troy Smith can be drafted in round 5 then Chase Daniels, depending on overall talent in the draft, should be able to go anywhere from late 2nd to early 4th in my opinion.

Isn't Drew Brees just as short as Chase Daniels? Brees seems pretty successful to me.

BeerBaron
09-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Isn't Drew Brees just as short as Chase Daniels? Brees seems pretty successful to me.

Brees has a much stronger arm and plays better inside the pocket.

Also remember that Brees struggled mightily early on which prompted the Chargers to draft Phillip Rivers. It wasn't until then when the Chargers built up a good o-line and found Antonio Gates that the light finally came on for Brees. He did well with all that talent around him on offense and also did well with the talent he found in New Orleans when he first went there.

Don't get me wrong, I like Brees and think hes a good player but his best play has always come when surrounded by offensive talent. Having all of that can make any QB much better.

Babylon
09-21-2008, 11:37 AM
to put it simply, no. not a chance.

Maybe in round.......3.........4........

no way its in the first. if the Bears can do decently this year and end up with a draft pick in the latter half of the first round, they can use it on an immediate starter who will help them right away. Hopefully a LG or maybe a RT.....DE and S are sleeper picks.....

but why go QB and basically spend a pick on a player who won't help for 2 or 3 more years? The Bears elected not to take a QB AT ALL in the most recent draft simply because they kept finding players who were available and could contribute more right away.

So lets get this out there right now. Unless the Bears take a drastic turn for the worse this year, there is no way they will be taking a QB in the first round in the 2009 NFL draft. Go ahead and quote me on it right now.

Go back and read my whole post, i said i thought he'd end up in round 2 and i'll stick with that.

Cribbs>Hester
09-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Brees has a much stronger arm and plays better inside the pocket.

Also remember that Brees struggled mightily early on which prompted the Chargers to draft Phillip Rivers. It wasn't until then when the Chargers built up a good o-line and found Antonio Gates that the light finally came on for Brees. He did well with all that talent around him on offense and also did well with the talent he found in New Orleans when he first went there.

Don't get me wrong, I like Brees and think hes a good player but his best play has always come when surrounded by offensive talent. Having all of that can make any QB much better.

Wow thats all I can say because No QB ever no matter how great they are will ever be successful without talent around him. Are you seriously holding it against Brees that he didn't succeed without talent aroud him? Even guys like Brett Favre and Carson Palmer have struggled when their Oline couldn't keep them upright and they didn't have play makers on the outside(Favre's case)

Hell saying Daniels is going to fail without talent around him is a no brainer, but you're insinuating that the same thing isn't true for Matthew Stafford, Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow.

Babylon
09-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Wow thats all I can say because No QB ever no matter how great they are will ever be successful without talent around him. Are you seriously holding it against Brees that he didn't succeed without talent aroud him? Even guys like Brett Favre and Carson Palmer have struggled when their Oline couldn't keep them upright and they didn't have play makers on the outside(Favre's case)

Hell saying Daniels is going to fail without talent around him is a no brainer, but you're insinuating that the same thing isn't true for Matthew Stafford, Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow.

Good post.

DeathbyStat
09-21-2008, 12:00 PM
maybe he can win some championships in Canada ala doug flutie

Xonraider
09-21-2008, 12:41 PM
I think he should get a legit shot in the pro's...

Cigaro
09-21-2008, 01:39 PM
I think he's the best collegiate quarterback at the moment, but I don't see him as much of a NFL prospect. Not necessarily due to his height, but he's been playing in the same, unconventional offense for 8 years(he played in a slimmed down version of the Mizzou spread in high school).

holt_bruce81
09-21-2008, 01:43 PM
He has everything (but height)......Leadership, Accuracy, Arm Strength, Mobility, and Intelligence he reads a defense like Peyton Manning.

I say 2nd or 3rd round.

Saints-Tigers
09-21-2008, 02:45 PM
He has everything (but height)......Leadership, Accuracy, Arm Strength, Mobility, and Intelligence he reads a defense like Peyton Manning.

I say 2nd or 3rd round.

No homer???

holt_bruce81
09-21-2008, 04:02 PM
No homer???

No, he's probably the best College Quarterback at reading defenses.

sweetness34
09-21-2008, 04:02 PM
His arm is not that good. He's a system QB that I think will go in the mid rounds. Is he good? Hell yes he is, but he doesn't translate well to the NFL game.

sweetness34
09-21-2008, 04:05 PM
No, he's probably the best College Quarterback at reading defenses.

And the college QB's are horrible. And that equates him to reading defenses like Peyton Manning? Please.

When Cullen Harper and Curtis Painter are being talked about as one of the better draft prospects, that is pathetic. Daniel is a very good college QB, but c'mon dude.

CashmoneyDrew
09-21-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm not buying the Drew Brees comparisons. Troy Smith or even Rex Grossman maybe.

sweetness34
09-21-2008, 04:36 PM
He's a better decision maker than Rex. I like Daniel as a backup QB, but not as a high draft pick or a starter. He's 5'11" on a good day, he doesn't have much of an arm, and he plays in a system offense.

Amazing QB, probably the leader for the Heisman so far, but as an NFL QB I don't think so.

Cigaro
09-21-2008, 05:25 PM
And the college QB's are horrible. And that equates him to reading defenses like Peyton Manning? Please.

When Cullen Harper and Curtis Painter are being talked about as one of the better draft prospects, that is pathetic. Daniel is a very good college QB, but c'mon dude.

You must take into account that last season he was playing like a first rounder. This year is obviously different though.

holt_bruce81
09-21-2008, 06:25 PM

He's the college version of Peyton Manning at reading defenses.....your taken my text the wrong way. My bad, guess I should of worded it differently.

holt_bruce81
09-21-2008, 06:27 PM
He's a better decision maker than Rex. I like Daniel as a backup QB, but not as a high draft pick or a starter. He's 5'11" on a good day, he doesn't have much of an arm, and he plays in a system offense.

Amazing QB, probably the leader for the Heisman so far, but as an NFL QB I don't think so.

I disagree with that statement.

Babylon
09-21-2008, 07:01 PM
I disagree with that statement.

Where did the weak arm reputation come from, i dont see that.

treefi
09-22-2008, 01:58 PM
with no other QB stepping up to the plate for the 2009 class, i see chase as a definite 2nd round pick if he keeps at his current pace... possible late 1st round pick, especially after drew brees puts up the best statistics in the league this year...

what's amazing about chase is that he is doing this at missouri. he's made missouri perhaps the best team in the big 12.

Iamcanadian
09-22-2008, 02:09 PM
His height won't help him but it is still going to come down to his arm strength. If he has a pro arm, then the 2nd round is a possibility, if he doesn't then round 4-7 beckons. It is a tough call since college QB's aren't put in a position too often to show off their arms if they are weak. From what I've read, it doesn't appear that his arm strength is considered up to pro strength by the scouts and if that is true he'll never see round 2. He'll get plenty of chanmces in the post season to play in a pro set and show off his arm for pro scouts. Right now I think he is a 4th rounder at best.

BBIB
09-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Ok, this kid is truly amazing. I know he lacks the height but he makes up for it with everything else he can do. He is on top of my heisman list. Where do you think he will land in the draft?

There are two types of QBs that are discriminated against. Dual threat ones and short ones. Chase Daniel at least a pocket passer. But unfortunately there is a new dynamic that is discriminated against and that's the spread offense. It could hurt his stock. I think he is the best QB in the state of MIssouri right now myself including anything they have on those winless pro teams.

Chase Daniel is one of those guys who could use the national spotlight in a big BCS game to raise his stock.

sweetness34
09-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Ok well that's a little different. He is pretty incredible at picking up defensive schemes and beating them, so I'll agree that he's the "Peyton Manning" of college football, meaning he's the best. I thought you were implying that he was as good as Manning at reading defenses.

Daniel has a decent arm, but for a guy his size and with the system he plays in, it needs to be better IMO for him to get a look early in the draft. He'd be perfect in a WCO making quick reads because of his accuracy and decision making though, and I do think he could have a long career in the NFL as a backup and a spot starter.

I watched him torch my defense the last two years, so I appreciate what kind of player he is. I really do. He can throw it, he can run it, he's a good leader....One of the better college QB's we've had in a while, his stats are ridiculous thus while losing guys Rucker from last year. But he needs to keep up the play he's had so far this year, he needs to have a very good combine, and he needs to workout well to see his stock rise to the first day.

sweetness34
09-22-2008, 03:17 PM
One more thing about his arm. Against us the past two years he focused more on short, quick throws then he did going down field. Yes, he was able to stretch our defense but he never rifles one in there. It's a lot of float passes, screens, quick reads, etc...He needs to show he has a pro arm, which I don't think he really does to go high in the draft.

bored of education
09-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Interesting seeing this guy throw in college. I am having trouble with him making the adjustments. I really can't say now. Height concerns me, height of the release, zip on the ball, system, etc. Alot of factors holding him back, but someone may take a flyer on him. Shall be interesting!

adschofield
09-22-2008, 03:46 PM
This thread is pathetic...Reading defenses like Peyton Manning? LOL...

holt_bruce81
09-22-2008, 05:46 PM
This thread is pathetic...Reading defenses like Peyton Manning? LOL...

Once again your taking my text out of content, wouldn't expect anything else from a Kansas fan than hating on Daniel, he made you guys look like a JV team.

holt_bruce81
09-22-2008, 05:52 PM
One more thing about his arm. Against us the past two years he focused more on short, quick throws then he did going down field. Yes, he was able to stretch our defense but he never rifles one in there. It's a lot of float passes, screens, quick reads, etc...He needs to show he has a pro arm, which I don't think he really does to go high in the draft.

I've noticed that as well. But it seemed last year they started winging it down field a lot more during conference play.

PACKmanN
09-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Daniel=Wallace

D-Unit
09-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Chase Daniels lines up in punt formation on every single snap. I mean seriously... who stands THAT far back behind center? That's not Shotgun. That's cheatgun.

jnew76
09-22-2008, 06:25 PM
I hate saying this because Chase has brought my beloved Tigers to national prominence, but I don't think he is a first day pick.

Is he Drew Brees? probably not. Is he Jeff Garcia? maybe. Chase simply does not have the raw ability that teams look for in a 1rst-2nd round pick. That said, he does have the accuracy, intelligence, leadership, and awareness to play at the next level.

His arm strength and height are the biggest question marks. I think he is over 5'11" but might not be fully 6'. I think his arm is good enough to play in the NFL, but by no means would it be considered "good" according to league standards.

I believe a team that runs a WCO will take a look at him as early as the 3rd and will not be around later than the 5th.

He will of course have to prove people wrong again, but he has done that his whole career.

STARHEATHER
09-22-2008, 08:05 PM
for real? in the nfl?

Race for the Heisman
09-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Just to add two things. First, he's been in the same shotgun spread system since high school. That about seven years or so. If he doesn't know every in and out of the system and how to exploit them, he doesn't belong in the NFL. I say this for two reasons:

1) It raises questions regarding his ability to transition to a new offense.
2) It also shows what he can do in an offense he knows that is tailored to him.

A good coach adjusts to his personnel, so Daniel could be an NFL success.

Second, Daniel is a guy who the Senior Bowl will be make or break for. If he can light up the Senior Bowl he solidifies his stock either from late round pick to mid/early second day, or from mid/early second day to late/mid first day.

Staubach12
09-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Late rounder - similar scenario to Troy Smith imo.

I agree. This is very similar to the TS scenario. Short, athletic, and funky offense (though Troy's was much less funky.)

Race for the Heisman
09-22-2008, 08:40 PM
I agree. This is very similar to the TS scenario. Short, athletic, and funky offense (though Troy's was much less funky.)

I would agree there situations are similar, but I think Troy was/is the better scrambler and I think he had/has a legitimate NFL arm (not saying Chase doesn't, only that I'm not convinced yet), yet Troy still went in the bottom of the fifth. Granted, I'm a homer, and Troy Smith is my favorite player bar none, so of course my opinion is skewed. I will say that I think Smith had value in the third, and Chase could as well if the right things go his way.

edgrenade
09-23-2008, 03:38 AM
If:

a.) Missouri continues to dominate as a team and at least makes a BCS game

b.) Chase wins/comes very very close to the Heisman

c.) Chase plays very very well even against very tough competition (something Troy Smith, who Chase keeps getting compared to, didn't do in that championship game....)

I think he can work his way into being a possibly late first day pick. Right now I'd say him landing in the 3rd round is on the upside.
Winning the Heisman has absolutely nothing to do with draft stock.

moTIGS
09-25-2008, 05:08 AM
A few things will go into Daniel's pro stock.

1. How well will he measure at the combine? A legit 6 foot? Teams will give him a shot. Below 6 feet? That'll probably drop him a few rounds. He has stated that he is 6 feet tall barefoot, and I have stood right next to the guy and can tell you he is at an absolute minimum 5-11.

2. How strong is his arm? He's usually not asked to throw deep at Missouri, but when he does, he looks good doing it. I don't know how his arm strength measures up, but his deep ball is at least very accurate. And on the dink and dunk passes, yeah, there's not a ton of zip on those. But that's by design. He gets the ball to his receivers in positions where they can run after the catch. Not once have I ever seen him throw an incompletion or interception because he didn't get enough on the ball, and I've seen nearly every snap he's ever taken.

3. How other quarterbacks do. It's a quarterback weak draft, which everyone knows. If the top guys are underwhelming in their workouts and if the top underclassmen for some reason don't declare, Daniel will move up the boards with teams needing a quarterback. Not to a first round guy, but he definitely could move into the 2nd in the right scenario. If a bunch of other prospects emerge and Daniel tests/measures a bit lower than anticipated, though, he'll fall.

Given time to develop and put in the right situation in the right offense, Daniel can definitely be a successful starting quarterback in the NFL, in the mold of Jeff Garcia, Drew Brees, etc. It won't happen right away, and it won't happen without the right talent around him, but with patience he'll make some team happy.