PDA

View Full Version : Charles Scott, first round?

Solomon
09-21-2008, 11:53 AM
I've been super impressed with LSU junior Charles Scott this year. Big, strong bruiser with surprising quickness and vision. With Chris Wells being hamped by injury can Scott overtake him as the premium power back in the draft?

Cribbs>Hester
09-21-2008, 11:56 AM
To this point in the season he has been more impressive than Chris Wells was last year.

DeathbyStat
09-21-2008, 11:57 AM
The little i've seen of him i've been impressed...what is his forty time?

Cigaro
09-21-2008, 01:41 PM
I don't think he'd be a first rounder if he came out THIS year. If he kept it up throughout senior year though, then yes.

jbeans187
09-21-2008, 05:08 PM
I only saw last night and highlights, but Scott is like a cannon ball as he accelerates through the hole. Last night i was really surprised with his quick cuts, vision, and balance. How has Keiland Williams been this season? I thought he would blow up this year but i guess Scott is instead

djp
09-21-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't think Scott will have the timed speed to go that high.

Staubach12
09-21-2008, 05:11 PM
He has an elite burst through the hole, power, agility, and a little speed. Good vision, too. Everything you want, IMO. I really like him.

saintsfan912
09-21-2008, 05:22 PM
I love how people still worry about timed speed.

P-L
09-21-2008, 06:32 PM
I love how people still worry about timed speed.Even though some fans might not think it's important, the scouts do.

Vikes99ej
09-21-2008, 06:40 PM

Uhhhh, Chris Johnson?

Saints-Tigers
09-21-2008, 06:45 PM
I only saw last night and highlights, but Scott is like a cannon ball as he accelerates through the hole. Last night i was really surprised with his quick cuts, vision, and balance. How has Keiland Williams been this season? I thought he would blow up this year but i guess Scott is instead

Keiland looks ok too, but Charles is just wrecking teams... hard to not give him all the carries.

saintsfan912
09-21-2008, 06:46 PM
So you would rather a guy that's timed fast and doesn't play that way or a guy with a slow time that plays faster?

I don't see why people care if a guy can run fast in shorts.

NOLAFan
09-21-2008, 06:53 PM
I think Scott, presuming he comes out this year, will have similar combine results as Joseph Addai. I think Addai was projects as a 2nd round pick, and thats where i see Scott going. Hopefully he stays for another year :D

Bruce
09-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Even though some fans might not think it's important, the scouts do.40 is overrated. Everyone knows that.

Devery runs fast. He can't catch worth a ****.

yourfavestoner
09-21-2008, 06:57 PM
He's pretty much a Jonathan Stewart clone. He'll go in the first round whenever he comes out.

jbeans187
09-21-2008, 08:26 PM
He's pretty much a Jonathan Stewart clone. He'll go in the first round whenever he comes out.

His play is very similar but i dont think he will work out the same which will hurt his stock

BBIB
09-21-2008, 08:28 PM
So you would rather a guy that's timed fast and doesn't play that way or a guy with a slow time that plays faster?

I don't see why people care if a guy can run fast in shorts.

Yeah but Charles Scott doesn't play THAT fast although he is a hard down hill runner. I think he is a 1st day pick but a 1st round pick is a bit of a stretch.

He's one of my favorite players on that LSU team for sure. I love how he said he could hardly sleep at night thinking about how he was going to break tackles vs Auburn.

P-L
09-21-2008, 09:22 PM
40 is overrated. Everyone knows that.

Tell that to NFL scouts and GM's who still consider the 40 a big factor in where a prospect gets drafted.

Sniper
09-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Shuttle>40.

Cribbs>Hester
09-22-2008, 05:45 AM
I find it hillarious how everyone wants to get on Charles Scott for times speed or even "not playing that fast" yet a lot of people jump all over the P.J. Hill wagon.

wicket
09-22-2008, 06:51 AM
really not sure yet about him i love him as a college player though. I'd say 2nd or 3rd round at the moment, actually would like the saints to draft him in a third round or something but dont see him as a first rounder at the moment

djp
09-22-2008, 11:01 AM
If the guy runs a 4.5 or a 4.6 (which I think he will), he won't go in the first round. Simple as that.

Regardless of whether you think the 40 is a good measure of ability or not, it doesn't matter. You aren't the ones drafting him.

Here come the LSU homers...

saintsfan912
09-22-2008, 11:09 AM
4.6? No way in hell he runs that slow.

I'll gladly take a 4.5 guy that runs for 100+ on a defense like Auburn.

Saints-Tigers
09-22-2008, 11:22 AM
If the guy runs a 4.5 or a 4.6 (which I think he will), he won't go in the first round. Simple as that.

Regardless of whether you think the 40 is a good measure of ability or not, it doesn't matter. You aren't the ones drafting him.

Here come the LSU homers...

We don't really think he is a first round guy.

I wouldn't select him in the first round anyway.

BBIB
09-22-2008, 11:52 AM
I find it hillarious how everyone wants to get on Charles Scott for times speed or even "not playing that fast" yet a lot of people jump all over the P.J. Hill wagon.

The only thing cool about PJ Hill is that Mike Hill guy from ESPN News keeps saying "that's my cousin!"

PJ Hill screams Big 10 back that won't pan out at the next level.

I think Charles Scott could be a dang good back, but there is a difference between having a future in the NFL and being worthy of a 1st round pick.

Iamcanadian
09-22-2008, 12:48 PM
40 is overrated. Everyone knows that.

Yeah but Moss, and almost every other effective WR in the NFL can run fast and they can catch the ball as well.
Personally, I think Scott has a shot and will do quite well in the 40. He is simply a talent that had to wait his turn on a very talented team. That doesn't necessarily mean he's slow.
He had better run fast for his 40 or he likely won't see round 1. Players in the NFL are for the most part extremely fast for the defensive position they play and if you don't have elite speed to beat them, you won't have a whole lot of success in the NFL. You see they are fast both in shorts and on the field so you'll need both to be a good NFL RB.

STARHEATHER
09-22-2008, 07:28 PM
im going to say yes. ive only seen two backs this year worthy of a rd one selection to this point and hes one of them. hes a good pass blocker and good catching it. hes shown more speed than advertised and showed some nice quick feet in the short area, making several freakish cuts in the auburn game. and hes definitely hard to tackle and has an nfl tailback body. looks like the real deal. hes beanie but better built and runs a lot harder and breaks tackles and is just as fast if not faster and has much better jukes and doesnt get hurt all the time. im going to have to say yes rd 1. the best ive seen so far this year who has all the nfl tailback traits

LonghornsLegend
09-24-2008, 08:57 AM
That cut he made in the Auburn game I believe, where he burst through the hole planted hard in front of the safety to freeze him, and bounced to the outside for an extra 20 yards or so, those type of things are very impressive for a guy like him...He's really a workhorse type back, but he seems to have some versatility to his game, I can see him 2nd round like Ray Rice but he is going to have to time well for someone to take him in the 1st.

J-Shock
09-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Thought this was interestig.

LSU RB Charles Scott: Several running backs were considered here, but Scott's 134-yard performance against Auburn, which ranks 19th in the nation in run defense, cannot be ignored. Scott is averaging 131.3 yards per game despite only 44 carries. He has 99 fewer carries than Michigan State's Javon Ringer. He has 61 fewer yards than Georgia's Knowshon Moreno despite getting 25 fewer carries.

Saints-Tigers
09-24-2008, 12:50 PM
I don't have him ranked as a first rounder just yet, but for the record, I like him a lot better than Addai when he was here. That could bode well for him as a pro, or it could mean nothing I guess.

Race for the Heisman
09-24-2008, 02:16 PM
I like him. In all seriousness he reminds me of Jacob Hester, but with a bit better lateral agility. I'm not sure how polished he is as a blocker or receiver, but I think if he does those things well late first isn't out of the question this year and he could potentially be the top back next year.

J-Shock
09-24-2008, 04:47 PM
I like him. In all seriousness he reminds me of Jacob Hester, but with a bit better lateral agility. I'm not sure how polished he is as a blocker or receiver, but I think if he does those things well late first isn't out of the question this year and he could potentially be the top back next year.He's the best blocker on the team not an O-lineman.

Cribbs>Hester
09-24-2008, 08:14 PM
He's the best blocker on the team not an O-lineman.

The quote in you sig alone makes him a 1st rounder in my book. Not only does he have the mentality I'd want in a running back, but he backs it up too.

Staubach12
09-24-2008, 08:43 PM
I HATE comparing college players to all-time greats, but I can't really think of a better comparison. I'M NOT SAYING HE'S THIS GOOD! However, I see a bit of Emmitt Smith in him. He has that incredible burst through the hole, and the vision along with the lack of speed but great quickness. Just thought I'd throw that one out there.

Cigaro
09-24-2008, 09:18 PM

Was watching the replay, and while I certainly didn't key in on Scott's blocking, I saw him badly miss a rusher. He was in pass protection, with it not being the release and go type, and yet with two rushers coming towards him, he didn't a single on, apparently confused on who to pick up. One blitzer got picked up by the tackle, the other ran free and hit the quarterback. Luckily the quarterback completed the pass.

Sniper
09-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Was watching the replay, and while I certainly didn't key in on Scott's blocking, I saw him badly miss a rusher. He was in pass protection, with it not being the release and go type, and yet with two rushers coming towards him, he didn't a single on, apparently confused on who to pick up. One blitzer got picked up by the tackle, the other ran free and hit the quarterback. Luckily the quarterback completed the pass.

Listen, you gotta understand that not every college back is as good as Mike Hart in pass protection :)

saintsfan912
09-24-2008, 10:06 PM

I'd give that award to Brandon Lafell. That kid brings the wood blocking downfield. Scott is definitely no slouch though.

Sniper
09-24-2008, 10:10 PM
I'd give that award to Brandon Lafell. That kid brings the wood blocking downfield. Scott is definitely no slouch though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY4ZPAh54ec

Zach Smith from Mississippi State agrees with you.

saintsfan912
09-24-2008, 10:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY4ZPAh54ec

Zach Smith from Mississippi State agrees with you.

Haha exactly! I wish I could get an avatar with that block.

thebow305
09-26-2008, 12:17 AM

Why don't you ask Cedric Benson about it and how important it is?

When he ran that atrocious forty, everyone said the same thing. "Throw the 40 out the door" "He plays faster than he times" "40 times aren't everything". And the Bears drafted him #4 banking on all these thoughts. And guess what, he was still SLOW, VERY SLOW. And guess what, it mattered. Look at him now.

Speed matters, I don't care what anyone says.

He's still a very good player nonetheless. (Charles Scott I mean.)

Sniper
09-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Why don't you ask Cedric Benson about it and how important it is?

When he ran that atrocious forty, everyone said the same thing. "Throw the 40 out the door" "He plays faster than he times" "40 times aren't everything". And the Bears drafted him #4 banking on all these thoughts. And guess what, he was still SLOW, VERY SLOW. And guess what, it mattered. Look at him now.

Speed matters, I don't care what anyone says.

How's Ted Ginn working out for you?

thebow305
09-26-2008, 12:22 AM
How's Ted Ginn working out for you?

You tell me. He scored his first NFL TD against you guys, and had his best game to date. Just in case you forgot. :)

Sniper
09-26-2008, 12:23 AM
You tell me. He scored his first NFL TD against you guys, and had his best game to date. Just in case you forgot. :)

But you still lost, so it doesn't really hurt...at all.

HOT DAMN! 8 catches, 75 yards, 9.4 ypc, 0 TD. WOWZERS!

thebow305
09-26-2008, 12:25 AM
But you still lost, so it doesn't really hurt...at all.

HOT DAMN! 8 catches, 75 yards, 9.4 ypc, 0 TD. WOWZERS!

We weren't talking about the game, just Ted Ginn, and his return TD you failed to mention. So yes, it did matter, for the sake of this argument.

Sniper
09-26-2008, 12:28 AM
We weren't talking about the game, just Ted Ginn, and his return TD you failed to mention. So yes, it did matter, for the sake of this argument.

But I asked how Ted Ginn is working out for you. Not for one game, unless you're only paying him for one game. All that speed and he only averaged 12 and change yards per catch? T.O might run a 4.5 on a good day, yet he averages way more than that.

Vikes99ej
09-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Tedd Ginn sucks FTW.

TigerBait45
09-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Maybe I'm the only one, but I see a lot of Jamal Lewis in Charles Scott.

I have no real idea what his timed speed is but I'd imagine it's around a 4.5, which isn't that slow for a 230 pound running back when you think about it.

He's nasty

thebow305
09-26-2008, 12:42 AM
But I asked how Ted Ginn is working out for you. Not for one game, unless you're only paying him for one game. All that speed and he only averaged 12 and change yards per catch? T.O might run a 4.5 on a good day, yet he averages way more than that.

And T.O.'s offense is lightyears better than T.J.'s, and he is the best WR in football. Ginn is in his second year, forced to be the #1 WR, while still developing, with his 2nd offensive coordinator, a new FO, with already his 4th starting QB throwing him the ball, who, BTW, can't properly utilize him because he can't throw more than 20 yards.

Very unfair comparison, and if you are judging Ginn after this short a time, it's nothing more than foolish. It takes WR's around 3 years or so typically to make a big impact. Some take fewer time, some take more. Look at Braylon, Steve Smith, and Chad Johnson, who did squat their first couple years.

The verdict is still out on Ginn and while I am just as frustrated as any other Dolphins fan that he isn't producing regularly, I realized this is a process and he was a project, so it will take time. But to label him as a Bust already is totally unfair to him and the situation he is in.

But this is not a Ted Ginn thread, it is a Charles Scott one. So you are welcome to go over and discuss this further in the Dolphins discussion forum if you'd like but I am done here.