PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie Brown is Legit

Turtlepower
09-21-2008, 03:38 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/921e4b26-9d82-4ed1-9323-b17af02123da.jpg

If not for injuries, Ronnie Brown would be a top-5 back in the league. Well, he seems pretty healthy now!

Marlo
09-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Didn't we already know this? Look what he did last year before his injury.

CashmoneyDrew
09-21-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm just glad I wasn't facing his owner in fantasy this week.

Twiddler
09-21-2008, 04:45 PM

It sucks, trust me.

Babylon
09-21-2008, 04:57 PM
They appear to have known what they were doing drafting a Jake Long to help that running game.

GB12
09-21-2008, 05:02 PM
They appear to have known what they were doing drafting a Jake Long to help that running game.
I don't think Long has much to do with it.

bearfan
09-21-2008, 05:03 PM
I have him...I benched him...:(

PACKmanN
09-21-2008, 05:04 PM

more like the Pats' offense not giving their defense a breath.

Babylon
09-21-2008, 05:05 PM
I don't think Long has much to do with it.

Best run blocker in the draft doesnt have anything to do with it? Are you serious?

GB12
09-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Best run blocker in the draft doesnt have anything to do with it? Are you serious?
Completely serious. It's not Jake Long, it's Ronnie Brown. He was amazing last year before his injury and showed it again today. His start last year was better than this year even. Nothing to do with Jake Long.

Babylon
09-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Completely serious. It's not Jake Long, it's Ronnie Brown. He was amazing last year before his injury and showed it again today. His start last year was better than this year even. Nothing to do with Jake Long.

Why'd you draft him then, there were plenty of other needs.

Basileus777
09-21-2008, 05:12 PM
more like the Pats' offense not giving their defense a breath.

The Pats defense did that on their own.

CashmoneyDrew
09-21-2008, 05:15 PM

Man, I feel for you.

Xonraider
09-21-2008, 05:21 PM
I HAD to make a sig with that picture... it was yelling at me

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/xonraider/RONNIEBROWN.jpg

awfullyquiet
09-21-2008, 08:01 PM

I'm glad bzaza benched him this week.

Geo
09-21-2008, 08:08 PM
If not for injuries
Pretty much sums it up right there.

thebow305
09-21-2008, 10:50 PM
I HAD to make a sig with that picture... it was yelling at me

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/xonraider/RONNIEBROWN.jpg

I hope you don't mind but I am going to rock that sig in honor or Ronnie's dominance today! I'll give you credit, don't worry!

Thank god Ronnie is going to start getting the recognition he deserves. When healthy, he is a top 5 back in the league for sure. That's been his only problem the last couple of years because he always seems to have bad luck with injuries. He seems to be pretty healthy now though, so I can't wait for a great season!

thebow305
09-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Oh.. And I stuck with Ronnie today for my lineup. I knew he was in for a big game eventually. Call me a homer, but I'm sure glad I was today.

Geo
09-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Draftguru started Ronnie Brown against me, LOL.

Plus he had the Eagles defense.

Vox Populi
09-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Ronnie might gett the credit he finally deserves. But the reason he hasn't gotten it yet is because he hasn't done anything in the league at all. He had a great start last year and everyone has always said that he has been a good back since his second year in the league, but injuries have always been a problem. He hadn't deserved any because whenever he got hot he got injured.

He is a great back, with a lot of skill, but you can't be great and be considered a star based on projected numbers "had he been healthy"

Hopefully Ronnie can stay healthy this year though while splitting carries with Ricky and they both can use all the talent that they have.

Joeyjr09
09-21-2008, 11:20 PM
injuries have always been a problem. You are joking yourself when you say he gets no respect. He hadn't deserved any because whenever he got hot he got injured.

Let's not get out of hand here and start acting like Ronnie Brown is a walking injury. If not for the ACL tear last season, he hasn't had any more injuries then any other normal NFL back. He average 14 games played a season before the ACL tear and while that's not a full season it's not like he was consistently getting hurt every year and missing big time, he was just getting nicked up behind one of the NFLs worst offensive lines like any other normal RB would do.

What has held Ronnie back has not been injuries. It was workload and opportunity.

-His rookie season he was brought along very slowly, barely given the ball, only getting about 13 carries a game. Hardly enough to make a big splash.

-His 2nd season, he still only average about 15 carries a game because he was sharing the workload and he still got a respectable 1,000 yard rushing season.

-His 3rd year is when he was finally given the full time workload and allowed to go full time and getting closer to 19 carries a game plus seeing alot of passes out of the backfield, (he had already broken his career high in catches in just 7 games). Not surprisingly he has having his biggest season and was the NFL's best RB that year until he got hurt.

- This year he is sharing carries with Ricky, and getting broken in slowly coming off that nasty injury, as soon as he breaks into the starting lineup and gets the bulk of the work, he responds with a huge game scoring 5 TDs and going close to 150 total yards.

So lets not get crazy and start lying to ourselves and saying Ronnie Brown is a big injury bug because that simply isn't the case. If not for one freak ACL tear, he has no more injuries then any other normal NFL running back. It's other situations and circumstances that has not let him reach his full potential and now that he is shining the NFL will have a chance to see the player that Miami fans have been waiting to see explode. That's all bow was getting at. No need to jump down his throat.

Vox Populi
09-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Are you kidding?

His first year as a rookie he was stuck on one of the worst offenses in the league and everyone was already calling him a bust because of what Carnell was doing for the Bucs.

His second year, he had a pretty good statistical season but was wildly inconsistent, largely due to injuries that kept him hurting all year and forced him out of a few late season matches.

His third year he was on pace for a great year, but again, injuries held him to only 7 games.

So obviously he isn't an injury waiting to happen, but to say that it isn't injuries holding him back is ridiculous. His second year he was constantly hurting, and then when they did give him the workload and opportunities he got injured and was put on IR. It is obvious that Ronnie is most effective in a two back system and that goes all the way back to his college days at Auburn where he split carries with another back who is constantly getting nicked up, Carnell Williams.

Clearly this guy benefits from fewer touches because it allows him to play harder longer and deeper into the season rather than have a great stretch of games where he gets 30 touches and then hit a wall a half dozen games in when the injuries start to stack up. Ronnie Brown has CLEARLY been a better back when he has played in a two back system and your idea that he is being held back by a lack of carries and opportunities as opposed to injuries is just simply wishful thinking in hope that Ronnie can pound the rock 30 times a game every game without injury and remain effective. It doesn't work like that and there are very few backs who can do that and remain effective on a week-week basis once the season gets half way through.

Joeyjr09
09-22-2008, 12:35 AM
. His second year he was constantly hurting, and then when they did give him the workload and opportunities he got injured and was put on IR.

Dude, please stop talking right now. You have no clue what you are talking about.

He was never, ever put on IR in his 2nd season.

He was fine all season, he played well too. His workload was limited because coaches wanted to bring him along slowly since he wasn't a feature back in college. He wasnt "constantly hurting". He had a pretty decent season racking up a 4.2 YPA average and going over 1,000 yards.

He missed a couple weeks towards the middle of the season, around week 12 or so with a broken hand, (a freak injury not him hurting all season) but he came back after missing 2 games or so and finished out the rest of the year, never did he get placed on IR.

At least know what you are talking about before you start posting man.

BTW...No wishful thinking that Ronnie can pound the rock 30 times a game so stop assuming. He is however full capable or getting 18 carries and a handful of catches a game with no problem. I'm merely point out that fact that calling Ronnie Brown injury prone just isn't the case because if it were not for 1 freak ACL tear, we would not even be having this conversation.

yourfavestoner
09-22-2008, 01:33 AM
His career path seems to be taking the same path as Fred Taylor's did. Supremely talented back who may never get the respect he deserves because of injuries and playing for an irrelevant team.

Shiver
09-22-2008, 05:44 AM
His career path seems to be taking the same path as Fred Taylor's did. Supremely talented back who may never get the respect he deserves because of injuries and playing for an irrelevant team.

I think that comparison is too favorable to Ronnie Brown. Fred Taylor has put together some great seasons, whereas Ronnie Brown has put together great games.

BlindSite
09-22-2008, 05:53 AM
Fred Taylor has seen some average teams, but none as bad as the ones brown has been on.

Geo
09-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Fred Taylor statistics (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaylFr00.htm)

Ronnie Brown statistics (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrowRo05.htm)

For anyone wondering.

DeathbyStat
09-22-2008, 11:07 AM
I like brown but can they run this gimmick offense every week? Or will it dry up quickly like when Vick and the Falcons ran the option a few years ago?

Joeyjr09
09-22-2008, 12:38 PM
I like brown but can they run this gimmick offense every week? Or will it dry up quickly like when Vick and the Falcons ran the option a few years ago?

There was like a total of 8 gimmick plays the entire game. It's not like they were lining up all sorts of wierd formations for every play. It just so happens that most of the gimmick plays were in the redzone leading to big scores so those are the highlights you are seeing. However, most of their big drives were set up by straight up drop back passes (See Pennington's stats) or straight handoffs to Ricky and Ronnie.

The gimmick offense certainly helped, but anyone thinking the reason they won was because of gimmicks is sadly mistaken. The scored was 38-13. No gimmick win. Miami just straight pounded them.

The OL was dominating the DL, the WRs were getting open. Joey Porter had 3 sacks alone, much less the rest of the pass rush by the DL. We forced turnovers, bad throws, were tearing thru their OL with blitzes and were stuffing their RBs consistently.

Miami dominated them in every facet of that game, the gimmicks were just the added flair.

rockio42
09-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Yah I've known he was legit since he was at Auburn when he made it into the top 5 of the draft, in a RBBC system in college...

fenikz
09-22-2008, 02:08 PM
i grabbed him in the 3rd or 4th round of most of my leagues

PoopSandwich
09-22-2008, 02:19 PM
I had him benched for my fantasy team and lost because of it :[

niel89
09-22-2008, 03:10 PM

me too >.<

Vox Populi
09-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Dude, please stop talking right now. You have no clue what you are talking about.

He was never, ever put on IR in his 2nd season.

Actually I was referring to his third season, hence the "WHEN THEY DID GIVE HIM THE WORKLOAD AND OPPORTUNITIES." I was clearly talking about his third season when he landed on IR and if you couldn't understand that, well sorry, I guess your teachers didn't focus on reading comprehension very much.

At least know what you are talking about before you start posting man.

I think you need to get off your high horse and stop pretending like because you are a fan of Ronnie Brown whatever you think is true. He is best when gets 18 carries a game and a few catches, and you say this too, well that is exactly why you saying he isn't getting opportunities or the workload to succeed is ridiculous, that makes absolutely no sense and those completely contradict each other. I think you realize this now based on your last post and pretty much agreed with my points without admiting to it by trying to make me look like an idiot, but unfortunately, you just can't read all that well.

Ronnie Brown, like Fred Taylor who has been brought into the discussion is clearly most effective in a 2 back system where his touches are limited and so is his workload. Otherwise he will run the same course as Fred Taylor and never statistically live up to his potential until he is used properly in a two back system with limited touches.

Joeyjr09
09-22-2008, 07:17 PM
His second year he was constantly hurting, and then when they did give him the workload and opportunities he got injured and was put on IR.

Maybe you should read your own posts before you start trying to say I don't know how to read.

But nice try with the effort to spin it like you were talking about his 3rd season even tho you clearly said his 2nd.

The problem isn't my reading comprehension. It's plain and simple that you can't even count to 3.

LonghornsLegend
09-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Well he was the #2 overall pick and was tearing up the league before he went down with injury last year, so yea.

Vox Populi
09-22-2008, 11:57 PM
Maybe you should read your own posts before you start trying to say I don't know how to read.

But nice try with the effort to spin it like you were talking about his 3rd season even tho you clearly said his 2nd.

The problem isn't my reading comprehension. It's plain and simple that you can't even count to 3.

Thanks, but you are wrong. Its called context. You are clearly looking outside of it, and now are stuck on this and can't even make an argument. Good luck.