PDA

View Full Version : Adam Jones, Kelvin Hayden, or Courtlin Finnegan?

RCAChainGang
09-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Who is the better corner on the field?

Courtlin Finnegan

Kelvin Hayden

or

Adam Jones

Sorry I'm in a big argument with my brother.

stephenson86
09-21-2008, 07:07 PM
finnegen is legit

Yatta!
09-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Finnegan is on absolute fire at the moment and he was solid last year as well, so it's got to be him atm. Jones always has talent but he still needs to sort himself out.

LonghornsLegend
09-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Courtlin Finnegan is a damn good corner, his name isn't brought up much with the best guys in the league but he is starting to make a name for himself, the guy can flat out ball and he's turning into a playmaker...Besides anytime Chad gives a corner props he can really play, right now he's playing at a higher level then all three guys.

GB12
09-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Besides anytime Chad gives a corner props he can really play
Not when he says that about every corner in the league.

OzTitan
09-21-2008, 07:19 PM
I honestly don't know enough about Hayden, but I do know enough about Finnegan and Jones.

I've got to say Finnegan. He is such a find for the Titans. Who would have thought the 7th round CB in 06 for the team works out much better than the 1st rounder in 05 (that would be Jones). Jones was looking great in 06 and if he didn't get suspended right now he and Cortland would probably make the best young CB tandem in the NFL, but the reality is he has been away from football and IMO doesn't look the same quite yet. He actually looks a little heavy and slower to me.

Cortland is an absolute terror. He plays so hard and fast. He's the Steve Smith of cornerbacks. Hell, last season he even had Smith losing his cool and out of his game IIRC. He tackles, he covers, and he makes the big play. To top it off, he's got great character and lets his play speak for himself. Basically, from that standpoint, he's the opposite of Jones.

I think Jones will be a pretty good corner soon once the cob web clear out but right now I'm very happy with Finnegan if I had to choose one.

SuperKevin
09-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Seriously, Courtland Finnegan is the DPOY right now.

RCAChainGang
09-21-2008, 07:29 PM
I just have to say Hayden.

But between Finnegan and Jones it is Finnegan.

Rob S
09-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Finnegan and I really dont think it's that close.

Vox Populi
09-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Right now its Finnegan by miles. Hayden is the best in run support, Jones makes the most big plays usually, but right now, and until, if ever, Jones goes back to his pre-suspension form it will be Finnegan. Jones is one of my favourite players, or was at least, but right now it is easily Finnegan and it isn't even close.

CashmoneyDrew
09-21-2008, 10:27 PM
On the field: Finnegan
Off the field: Finnegan

Geo
09-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Finnegan is a great player and it's great to see him getting deserved recognition, overdue or not. People picking him as a sleeper or anything like that is just stupid really because the guy has been very good.

However I am a big fan of Hayden, having seen what he brings week in and week out, and would pick him personally. The guy has a knack for making plays, even if he gets burned a few times a year, and is very physical himself.

Both guys bring everything to the table, as OzT touched on. Promising young corners in the league.

islandboy843
09-21-2008, 11:08 PM
The sig never lies.

TitanHope
09-21-2008, 11:36 PM
*Cortland Finnegan

Finny's unknown ethnicity alone makes him teh awesomez...

Nothing makes me happier than to have Finny leading the league in INT's, one of them a TD return, and then seeing "Punkman" relegated to NB duty and still being burned.

Can't say Hayden isn't a bad alternative to Cortland. Indy has two stud youngsters in Marlin Jackson and Hayden. But Finny has this tenacity that Hayden and Jones don't possess. He has the ability to get under the skin of even the best WR's, and that alone throws them off. I think that's what sets him apart from others. He duurrrrrrty.

Oh, and so much for the secondary being the weaklink of the Titans' DEF. :D

CT Bronco Fan
09-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Finnegan is a stud, fell in love with him after the Tenn/Denver game last year.

giantsfan
09-22-2008, 12:24 AM
If this is for right now I'd say Finnegan, he's playing very well right now and Jones is still rusty out there, however I think Jones will be a better corner by the end of the season because he has the ability to shut down even the best receivers in this league once he gets in a groove again.

yourfavestoner
09-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Finnegan is a stud. I've watched a lot of Titans ball the past three weeks, and he has been nothing short of outstanding.

thule
09-22-2008, 12:41 AM
I have no idea about either of the guys outside of pacman jones....but Pac is almost like boom or bust on the field. He was responsible for taking away 7 points today one on his fumble he caused and another on a pass deflection down in the redzone. Yet he also let too deep plays because he got lazy....so right now it's hard to say he is better than either cowboys corner...but you can see it's there sometimes...I wanna see a complete game from him.

TitanHope
09-22-2008, 12:42 AM
however I think Jones will be a better corner by the end of the season because he has the ability to shut down even the best receivers in this league once he gets in a groove again

Andre Johnson - 2/29 yards, 0 TD's
Chad Johnson - 4/37 yards, 0 TD's
T.J. Houshmandzadeh - 3/26 yards, 0 TD's
Reggie Williams - 2/17 yards, 0 TD's

But when Finnegan shuts down even the best WR's at the very beginning of the season... ;)

giantsfan
09-22-2008, 12:49 AM
Andre Johnson - 2/29 yards, 0 TD's
Chad Johnson - 4/37 yards, 0 TD's
T.J. Houshmandzadeh - 3/26 yards, 0 TD's
Reggie Williams - 2/17 yards, 0 TD's

But when Finnegan shuts down even the best WR's at the very beginning of the season... ;)

Haven't paid great attention to your scheme in the secondary, does finnegan follow around the other teams #1 or just play on his side? And not to minimalize those stats, but Houston's oline is still poor and that resulted in Schaub never really establishing any consistency on his throws as he hurried a lot, Da Bengals oline has been a joke up until this weak when it was just bad and Jacksonville was missing its entire interior oline. Pressure is a corners best friend, that said Finnegan is a very good corner and I was really under-rating him in before the season. Still think Pacman once he gets back into football form mentally will be more shutdown.

thule
09-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Do the titans really man each corner to a certain WR...because I highly doubt that as no team really does that because it becomes too easy to determine zone/man schemes presnap. The top WR metric doesn't ever work to me...I'd rather have targets and percentage stats than WR catches

TitanHope
09-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Haven't paid great attention to your scheme in the secondary, does finnegan follow around the other teams #1 or just play on his side?

Finny stays put, so the CB's do not change sides based on where the WR's move. I was just being casual with the comparison of the #1 CB to the #1 WR. Nevertheless, I think it's safe to assume that there's a correlation between Finny's surge and WR's stats. But, all the DB's are playing very well, so it's not all him. But I do give my word that he's shutting down his guy.

And not to minimalize those stats, but Houston's oline is still poor and that resulted in Schaub never really establishing any consistency on his throws as he hurried a lot, Da Bengals oline has been a joke up until this weak when it was just bad and Jacksonville was missing its entire interior oline. Pressure is a corners best friend, that said Finnegan is a very good corner and I was really under-rating him in before the season. Still think Pacman once he gets back into football form mentally will be more shutdown.

Schaub was just making horrible decisions yesterday. Houston's OL only allowed 3 sacks, and the Titans DB's had 3 INT's. Shutting down Carson Palmer/Chad Johnson/T.J. Housh @ Cincy is an accomplishment regardless of the OL. The DL was great against Jax though. The DB's do have a great DL in front of them, but they are making plays on their own merit as well.

But it's not like PacMan will be playing around a bunch of scrubs either.

Do the titans really man each corner to a certain WR...because I highly doubt that as no team really does that because it becomes too easy to determine zone/man schemes presnap. The top WR metric doesn't ever work to me...I'd rather have targets and percentage stats than WR catches.

Very true, and as I said, I was just being casual. You know of anywhere that has such stats, thule?

thule
09-22-2008, 01:22 AM
Finny stays put, so the CB's do not change sides based on where the WR's move. I was just being casual with the comparison of the #1 CB to the #1 WR. Nevertheless, I think it's safe to assume that there's a correlation between Finny's surge and WR's stats. But, all the DB's are playing very well, so it's not all him. But I do give my word that he's shutting down his guy.

Schaub was just making horrible decisions yesterday. Houston's OL only allowed 3 sacks, and the Titans DB's had 3 INT's. Shutting down Carson Palmer/Chad Johnson/T.J. Housh @ Cincy is an accomplishment regardless of the OL. The DL was great against Jax though. The DB's do have a great DL in front of them, but they are making plays on their own merit as well.

But it's not like PacMan will be playing around a bunch of scrubs either.

Very true, and as I said, I was just being casual. You know of anywhere that has such stats, thule?

Joyner throws out numbers every now and then but I've not seen a posted sight about them...also another site deals a lot with targets and whatnot but i'm drawing a blank.

edit
found it
Bill Barnwell, a contributing editor at footballoutsiders.com and one of the minds behind the must-read Pro Football Prospectus,

Barnwell does a series with dallas weekly on the dmn blog and has numbers for virtually everything...maybe fbo has something like that on their site i'm not sure have never checked it ou.

Menardo75
09-22-2008, 06:55 PM
I am very impressed with finnegan. Even though he is undersized he plays very physical and has very good ball skills.

abaddon41_80
09-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Right now it is obviously Finnegan. He puts himself in the right position time and time again