PDA

View Full Version : Derek Anderson vs. Brady Quinn

Thunder&Lightning
09-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Anderson has had a tough start to the regular season... After throwing 3 interceptions today who do you think should start now?

Iamcanadian
09-21-2008, 10:48 PM
While I don't expect Quinn to be anything more than average, it may be time for him to get a shot. DA just isn't playing well although Edwards has dropped a lot of balls which has severely limited our offense and Lewis may be finally slowing down as well.

PACKmanN
09-21-2008, 10:50 PM
I don't really understand where all this Anderson hype came from. He garbage and got his money from the Browns.

yo123
09-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Brady Quinn. No question. Derek Anderson had a great half season and for some reason the Browns bought into it instead of trading him for a 2nd or 3rd while his stock was high.

Jughead10
09-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Don't most legit Browns fans from Ohio wants Quinn to start? I'd give Anderson another game or two, but Quinn's time is coming sooner than later.

giantsfan
09-22-2008, 12:26 AM
I've never been on the Anderson bandwagon and thought he got ridiculously over-rated ridiculously fast, he had an oline that was dominant, giving him eons to get the ball out, and had two of the better weapons out there in KW2 and Edwards. He just takes too many risks and when his team-mates aren't bailing him out he hurts his team, a lot.

BlindSite
09-22-2008, 12:29 AM
I think you wait till mid season and see how Quinn goes for the last 8. Anderson isn't a terrible player by any means but Quinn could be a brilliant one and imo he should get a shot this season.

steelersfan43
09-22-2008, 12:54 AM
there both bad, im just glad the browns are in our division so we get to take advantage of there trashy qbs. Quinn will bust, anderson never was good and just got hyped up.

PoopSandwich
09-22-2008, 12:58 AM
This season is a mess... Injuries + poor execution by those who are playing + bad coaching + being a Clevelan team = Failure.

j05son
09-22-2008, 03:29 AM
public polls please.

Allthough I like the decision to keep both, I think it's getting to the point we need to make some personal changes before Crennel gets the shaft and we are then up for ANOTHER STAFF change.

No one seems to see the stability in coaching as a good thing, esp Cleveland.

I think Quinn gets some action here soon if this play continues. It's not all on Anderson though. 5 sacks today, Edwards leads the league in dropped catches, Jamal hasn't been able to get anything going, we went up against some great teams.

Bengalsrocket
09-22-2008, 03:37 AM
Anderson is young and in a crappy situation. I'm not saying he's great, I'm just saying I think he's being judged unfairly :(

wicket
09-22-2008, 04:09 AM
I'm actually kinda a big fan of quinn so im prolly not really objective

Cribbs>Hester
09-22-2008, 05:49 AM
I'm so glad this fools contract was extremely front end loaded.

Shiver
09-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Anderson has been revealed as the fraud I knew he was. I wasn't the biggest Brady Quinn fan, but I think the Browns would be better off putting him in.

princefielder28
09-22-2008, 11:01 AM
I was suprised when Cleveland made an investment in Anderson this past offseason and the one year wonder tag is coming through. Quinn was drafted to be "the guy" and with a lack of production from Anderson, it's time for Quinn to get his chance to shine and live up to the pick.

bigbluedefense
09-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Im not sure if Id throw Quinn out there just yet. I think its better for his development if he sits another year. But if need be, start him week 8.

Iamcanadian
09-22-2008, 11:44 AM
ESPN is reporting he will likely start game 4. It's time to see if he can produce.

SEX ON FIRE
09-22-2008, 11:49 AM
http://afkfootball.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/bradyquinn4ob5.jpg

keylime_5
09-22-2008, 12:17 PM
I hope Quinn tears up Cincy's paper defense, but with the way the WRs have been playing and the injuries to the interior offensive line I kind of doubt the offense is there yet. I think if Quinn was starting last year in that offense as a rookie I don't think he would've done quite as good as Anderson, but probably about 20 TDs and 15 INTs behind 2500 yards. This year the team is different, not gelling at all.

Iamcanadian
09-22-2008, 12:31 PM
I hope Quinn tears up Cincy's paper defense, but with the way the WRs have been playing and the injuries to the interior offensive line I kind of doubt the offense is there yet. I think if Quinn was starting last year in that offense as a rookie I don't think he would've done quite as good as Anderson, but probably about 20 TDs and 15 INTs behind 2500 yards. This year the team is different, not gelling at all.

Sorry but I think your assessment of what Quinn would have done as a rookie is way off. His 1st season as a starter last year would probably looked very close to Eli's or Cutler's with very unimpressive stats. Few 1st year starters at QB ever produce a lot. With Quinn at QB, the team would likely have finished a clear last in the AFC North with closer to 4 wins than 10. Quinn has yet to demonstrate that he can even be a solid NFL starter in this league never mind put up 20 TD's in a season.
He is now going to get a shot but until we see him in a game, I'm won't be surprised to see our offense struggle until he gains a lot more experience. It would be nice if he could step in and be another Rodgers but I'm not expecting it although it would be nice.

Thunder&Lightning
09-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Quinn to get more reps at practice

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3602560

LonghornsLegend
09-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Anderson should of never gotten that deal, even with Romo we waited until he came out the next year firing on all cylinders, Browns should of waited until a few games in before they decided on paying him anything...Smart thing would of been to sell high, they might of gotten 2 first from somebody maybe a 1st and a 3rd and used those picks to sure up the defense.

keylime_5
09-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Sorry but I think your assessment of what Quinn would have done as a rookie is way off. His 1st season as a starter last year would probably looked very close to Eli's or Cutler's with very unimpressive stats. Few 1st year starters at QB ever produce a lot. With Quinn at QB, the team would likely have finished a clear last in the AFC North with closer to 4 wins than 10. Quinn has yet to demonstrate that he can even be a solid NFL starter in this league never mind put up 20 TD's in a season.
He is now going to get a shot but until we see him in a game, I'm won't be surprised to see our offense struggle until he gains a lot more experience. It would be nice if he could step in and be another Rodgers but I'm not expecting it although it would be nice.

I don't know, Edwards and Winslow and that offensive line with Lewis running like he did...he could've put up similar stats to Roethlisberger as a rookie but maybe a couple more TDs and INTs. He wouldn't have the big stat games that Anderson had, but remember that Anderson had barely any experience before that game against Cincy.

FlyingElvis
09-22-2008, 03:14 PM
. . .
No one seems to see the stability in coaching as a good thing, esp Cleveland.
. . .
we went up against some great teams.
Hopefully they keep Romeo in town. Last year we saw what could happen now that the team has finally been loaded up w/players of his choosing.

The tough schedule the Browns have to work through will make any QB they have look pretty bad. Braylon's stone hands don't help either.

Expecting much out of Quinn is crazy. He has zero experience and the team's confidence has to be pretty low right now. Combine those factors with a difficult schedule and it could be disastrous for him. Then again - starting him this week against the Bengals could be an excellent way to boost the confidence of the entire team while giving Quinn in a relatively easy defense to work against.

D-Unit
09-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Funny story. I was going to do one of those NFL truths things that everyone else was doing, and I wrote up a long ass post, but lost it so gave up. I was so pissed off. Well, one of the things I wanted to mention was how I thought that Quinn would be the franchise QB and take over this year. Anderson only kept the job because the Browns kept winning, but even after getting a new contract extension, if you looked at the tiny details, you'd see that Anderson's contract is very much easy to terminate.

Count me in as a Brady Quinn believer. I think he'll go to multiple Pro Bowls and be one of the top QBs in the league once his time arrives.

09-22-2008, 03:43 PM
DA starting for most of last season was probably the best thing that could have happened for Quinn. NOW IT'S HIS TIME. :D

Babylon
09-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Hopefully they keep Romeo in town. Last year we saw what could happen now that the team has finally been loaded up w/players of his choosing.

The tough schedule the Browns have to work through will make any QB they have look pretty bad. Braylon's stone hands don't help either.

Expecting much out of Quinn is crazy. He has zero experience and the team's confidence has to be pretty low right now. Combine those factors with a difficult schedule and it could be disastrous for him. Then again - starting him this week against the Bengals could be an excellent way to boost the confidence of the entire team while giving Quinn in a relatively easy defense to work against.

I'm not that worried about the experience thing. Aaron Rodgers didnt have much neither did Tony Romo or Jay Cutler. The guy played 4 years at Notre Dame and sat and watched last year. Put him in there.

awfullyquiet
09-22-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm not that worried about the experience thing. Aaron Rodgers didnt have much neither did Tony Romo or Jay Cutler. The guy played 4 years at Notre Dame and sat and watched last year. Put him in there.

Notre Dame, Smoter Dame... Tony Romo played at EASTERN ILLINOIS. it doesn't matter what school you went to at this point and time, especially against a brutal conference with your star recievers unable to catch. Your line unable to block. And jamal lewis unable to get traction.

This isn't a DA problem. This is an inability for the cast around him to do their job, and it makes him look bad.

princefielder28
09-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Notre Dame, Smoter Dame... Tony Romo played at EASTERN ILLINOIS. it doesn't matter what school you went to at this point and time, especially against a brutal conference with your star recievers unable to catch. Your line unable to block. And jamal lewis unable to get traction.

This isn't a DA problem. This is an inability for the cast around him to do their job, and it makes him look bad.

I've watched DA in two games this year, and granted the supprting cast hasn't looked that good, but he has been just mediocre at best and his job needs to be re-accessed. If you look at Anderson's last three starts from '07 and his first 3 this season, he has fallen back to reality and is not the QB that people thought he was or could be in the middle of '07. This is a very talented football team, Brady Quinn has over a year in the system now, and the team is 0-3; there couldn't be a more perfect time because they're heading in the wrong direction real quick.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Quinn>Moose dick rider

TheBuffaloBills
09-22-2008, 06:55 PM
I am making Quinn my top waiver pick for fantasy.

Menardo75
09-22-2008, 06:58 PM
No matter how well Derek played or plays it is a matter of time before Brady starts. Derek was screwed in this situation from the beginning.

mqtirishfan
09-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Notre Dame, Smoter Dame... Tony Romo played at EASTERN ILLINOIS.

This is a great example because Tony Romo was completely NFL ready when he entered the league...

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-22-2008, 07:28 PM
I don't think Brady Quinn will be very good, but DA just isn't working so it's time to give the kid a shot.

PalmerToCJ
09-22-2008, 09:19 PM
While I figured DA wouldn't come close to the season he had last year, I didn't think he would start this rough.

With that said, he had his coming out party against us last year.... If he sucks this week then I think you start wondering about Quinn.

Geo
09-22-2008, 09:24 PM
I always felt Quinn was the best QB on the roster, although he needs to stop throwing too high as he has since college, so I don't have a problem with the move.

But let's get something straight:

It's not Derek Anderson's fault that Braylon Edwards can't catch anything so far, that Donte Stallworth can't stay healthy as usual, that offensive line is a bit injured and isn't playing as well as last year, or that the defense is porous.

giantsfan
09-22-2008, 11:59 PM

That said when his cast does their job around him they make him look a lot better than he is.

ninerfan
09-24-2008, 05:49 PM
its time for the Brady bunch

CC.SD
09-24-2008, 06:50 PM
It's true, it's Brady's time. I still don't think he should have gotten past the Lions. Or the Raiders for that matter. He was the A-number 1 QB in that draft until Jamarcus demolished a Notre Dame defense that everyone already knew was absolutely awful. Le draft, she is a fickle *****, no?

or the freaking DOLPHINS!!!

BlindSite
09-24-2008, 07:41 PM
The way I see it, we know Anderson's ceiling and its not that great. The season is really a game or two away from being lost in that division and the afc as a whole, so you might as well give Quinn a shot, let the young-uns have a run and see just what is on the depth chart.

Cribbs>Hester
09-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Quinn>Moose dick rider

Haha how did this manage to stick? I laughed my jiblits off.

GB12
09-24-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm won't be surprised to see our offense struggle until he gains a lot more experience.
I thought you were a Lions fan

awfullyquiet
09-25-2008, 10:07 AM
That said when his cast does their job around him they make him look a lot better than he is.

True. But it is a team game.

If your marginal to pretty good (DA's ceiling is 'pretty good'), and your cast around you sucks. you'll look pretty bad to marginal... if you're pretty good to very good. and your cast around you sucks... you'll look marginal to pretty good (david garrard), if you're fantastic to very good and the cast around you sucks... you'll be brett favre.

kalbears13
09-26-2008, 01:02 PM
As much as I'd like to see Brady Quinn step in (I would LOVE to see him play and tear it up as I am a huge Brady Quinn believer and I can't believe I'm saying this but), I think Derek Anderson deserves a shot against a below average defense to show if he can actually do anything. His supporting cast has been playing definitely not at their best so if he can put up some good numbers and get a win against Cinci, he deserves the spot for at least another week. If he doesn't then I think that Brady Quinn should be at least the front runner to being the starter.

Iamcanadian
09-27-2008, 11:00 AM
I thought you were a Lions fan

I've lived extensively in two different locations, Toronto and near Detroit. When I was a kid about 50 or so years ago, Cleveland was the only NFL team that was carried by the Toronto stations and I saw every game they played until Buffalo entered the league. After that Toronto only carried Buffalo games so eventually I also became a Bill's fan. In 1983 I moved close to Detroit and eventually added Detroit to my fan list. So I'm a fan of Detroit, Cleveland and Buffalo. Hope that answers your question.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-27-2008, 01:16 PM
If Anderson and the Browns offense can't move the ball effectively against the Bengals' defense, then it becomes time to seriously consider Brady Quinn, if only to shake things up. It suck for Cleveland, because you know they were hoping for Anderson to have a good enough second campaign to keep some trade value, but they might just have to let that thought go and start Quinn sooner rather than later.

bearsfan_51
09-27-2008, 01:47 PM
I've lived extensively in two different locations, Toronto and near Detroit. When I was a kid about 50 or so years ago, Cleveland was the only NFL team that was carried by the Toronto stations and I saw every game they played until Buffalo entered the league. After that Toronto only carried Buffalo games so eventually I also became a Bill's fan. In 1983 I moved close to Detroit and eventually added Detroit to my fan list. So I'm a fan of Detroit, Cleveland and Buffalo. Hope that answers your question.
Wow...no wonder you're so bitter.

FlyingElvis
09-27-2008, 02:18 PM
^ lmao. All I could think was to offer condolences. That's like, what?? seven seasons of winning teams in a half century? :o

RCAChainGang
09-27-2008, 04:48 PM
I don't think you throw Quinn in until halfway through the season.

MetSox17
09-27-2008, 05:02 PM

+rep for your troubles.

Jvig43
09-27-2008, 10:00 PM
How come there wasnt a Tom Brady Matt Cassell thread?... oh wait *sigh*

kalbears13
09-28-2008, 02:52 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2414/1813128693_6efec0b337.jpg

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Is it Quinn time yet?

Turtlepower
09-28-2008, 05:37 PM