PDA

View Full Version : Missouri RB Derrick Washington

kmartin575
09-24-2008, 01:02 AM
What does everybody think about him? I realize he is only a sophomore but he has quickly made people forget about Tony Temple. He has the power that Temple never had. This season he already has 9 total touchdowns and is averaging 6.8 ypc.

holt_bruce81
09-24-2008, 02:49 PM
I like him a lot. he's a tough runner and is an excellent receiver. Like you said he's only a true sophomore so it'll be interesting to see what kind of hype he gets his junior and senior year.

moTIGS
09-25-2008, 04:48 AM
Copied and pasted from another board

Moreno gets more hype than any running back (or player) in the country. And for the most part, it's not undeserved. He's a damn good player.

But so far on the season, Washington's doing pretty well himself.

Moreno's stats:
69 carries, 455 yards (6.6 yards per carry), 9 touchdowns
7 catches, 96 yards (13.7 per catch), 0 touchdowns

Washington's stats:
53 carries, 361 yards (6.8 yards per carry), 8 touchdowns
7 catches, 79 yards (11.3 per catch), 1 touchdown

Moreno's got a slight edge, but that's largely due to the touches he gets. He gets the ball more, both because Georgia just runs more than we do and also because we distribute the ball between more guys (Moreno accounts for 48% of his team's carries, Washington just 40%). If you were to extrapolate their numbers out to an equal number of touches per player, Washington actually pulls ahead. DWash averages 7.33 yards per touch. Moreno is at 7.25.

I almost consider this a meaningless early-morning research project with little to do with anything on the field. But then I thought about Knile Davis, Ronnie Wingo, Bryce Brown, et al. Think those guys have heard of Knowshon? Think it might be nice if we could say "hey, that guy's a great player and Georgia does a great job using him.... but Derrick Washington is actually a more productive runner for us here at Mizzou. That could be you."

BrabbitMcRabbit
09-25-2008, 11:53 AM
At this early juncture he looks like the best RB in the 2010 class.

CaliPanthers420
09-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Im not taking away from Derrick Washington's skill but lets be honest, he plays in an offense that allows him to put up big numbers. Mizzu offense is nasty and defenses have to stop so many different things. I just think Mizzu's offense takes so much pressure off Washington because the defense isnt keying in on him, they are trying to stop Chase Daniels, Maclin and Coffman. Not to mention Daniels abiltiy to run as well in the spread offense, it just open's up alot more lanes for Washington. He has looked good this year though and looks to be a better RB than Tony Temple in my mind.

I think next year will show how good of a prospect this guy can be given that defenses will begin focusing on him.

Turtlepower
09-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Copied and pasted from another board

If Knowshon was running constantly against nickle and dime defenses, then he would have 300 yards per game. As Calipanthers mentioned, it is the offensive passing attack that allows Washington to run very well, not the other way around like it is for Georgia.

georgiafan
09-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Im not taking away from Derrick Washington's skill but lets be honest, he plays in an offense that allows him to put up big numbers. Mizzu offense is nasty and defenses have to stop so many different things. I just think Mizzu's offense takes so much pressure off Washington because the defense isnt keying in on him, they are trying to stop Chase Daniels, Maclin and Coffman. Not to mention Daniels abiltiy to run as well in the spread offense, it just open's up alot more lanes for Washington. He has looked good this year though and looks to be a better RB than Tony Temple in my mind.

I think next year will show how good of a prospect this guy can be given that defenses will begin focusing on him.

If Knowshon was running constantly against nickle and dime defenses, then he would have 300 yards per game. As Calipanthers mentioned, it is the offensive passing attack that allows Washington to run very well, not the other way around like it is for Georgia.

Yeah this a perfect example as to why you can't use stats between two guys to determine who the better player is. Just swap the two players and image how diffrent it would be. Can you image how good Moreno would be with Daniel, Maclin, Coffman and facing nickle and dime defense every play? On the other hand would Washington be putting up over 6 yards a carry for UGA with question marks on the OL?

Turtlepower
09-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Yeah this a perfect example as to why you can't use stats between two guys to determine who the better player is. Just swap the two players and image how diffrent it would be. Can you image how good Moreno would be with Daniel, Maclin, Coffman and facing nickle and dime defense every play? On the other hand would Washington be putting up over 6 yards a carry for UGA with question marks on the OL?

Also remember that Moreno has already gone against 2 top-25 defenses (ASU's secondary sucks, but we our front-seven isn't that bad). Missouri's best team it has played is a 2-2 MAC team who would be 1-3 if not for a miracle Hail Mary catch.

kmartin575
09-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Also remember that Moreno has already gone against 2 top-25 defenses (ASU's secondary sucks, but we our front-seven isn't that bad). Missouri's best team it has played is a 2-2 MAC team who would be 1-3 if not for a miracle Hail Mary catch.

Last time I checked the best team we have played is Illinois.

BPhilb
09-25-2008, 01:32 PM

You don't think much of Illionis I take it?

Turtlepower
09-25-2008, 01:39 PM

My bad, forgot about Illinois. First of all, no I do not think much of Illinois. They needed a late rally to come back against Louisiana-Lafayette and Illinois also did a horrible job in their run defense against Eastern Illinois. I really think Illinois just isn't that good of a team.

georgiafan
09-25-2008, 01:43 PM

Illnois is terrible on defense they are 88th agianst the rush, 69th agianst the pass, 95th in scoring and 75th in total defense. They are fine on offense, just not on defense

Staubach12
09-25-2008, 07:47 PM

There's the truth. Moreno is the #1 threat on his offense, and everyone prepares for him. That's hardly the case when it comes to Washington.

moTIGS
09-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Illnois is terrible on defense they are 88th agianst the rush, 69th agianst the pass, 95th in scoring and 75th in total defense. They are fine on offense, just not on defense

And South Carolina is ranked 60th in run defense. Arizona State is 70th. Neither have been particularly good so far this season.

Knowshon plays with a guy generally considered one of the top quarterbacks in the country. The receivers at Georgia aren't too bad, either. You think opposing teams just ignore Stafford? I'm sure they do...

I never said Washington > Moreno. I said ON PAPER he compares favorably, and that post was copied/pasted from a Mizzou recruiting website as an interesting comparison that recruits might be interested in. Not a scouting report on Washington.

adschofield
09-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Only a MU fan would compare Derrick Washington to Knowshon Moreno

jbeans187
09-25-2008, 09:49 PM

Exactly, he has the potential but lets wait til next season when chase d is gone if he can carry the team

BUSTKUNTLAWL
09-25-2008, 11:48 PM
My bad, forgot about Illinois. First of all, no I do not think much of Illinois. They needed a late rally to come back against Louisiana-Lafayette and Illinois also did a horrible job in their run defense against Eastern Illinois. I really think Illinois just isn't that good of a team.

At what point did Illinois need a late rally against Louisiana-Lafayette?

They were never behind & it just proves you're talking out of your as$.

Washington is a nice little back and I don't think anyone knows how good he is right now. We will know a lot more when Daniels & Maclin are removed from the offense next year and he is the main guy.

holt_bruce81
09-25-2008, 11:49 PM
At what point did Illinois need a late rally against Louisiana-Lafayette?

They were never behind & it just proves you're talking out of your as$.

Washington is a nice little back and I don't think anyone knows how good he is right now. We will know a lot more when Daniels & Maclin are removed from the offense next year and he is the main guy.

A running back will never be "the main" guy in Missouri's offense.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
09-25-2008, 11:58 PM
A running back will never be "the main" guy in Missouri's offense.

Probably not, but Washington will be leaned on a lot more when Mizzou breaks in a new QB & their most dynamic skill player in Maclin leaves.