PDA

View Full Version : Super Six

Cribbs>Hester
09-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Every year since 1999(when I started paying attention to the draft because lets face it...the Browns needed it badly) I have been doing something I call "Super 6" Cheesey I know, but it seems as though by years end there are usually about 6 super star players who a combination or elite potential and a low bust risk. The NFL and team's scouts as well as media types like Scott Wright, Mel Kiper, and Todd McShay like to do things their way and I like to do things my own way. I rather watch game after game and determine for myself who I think the best players are to draft and hopefull my team actually thinks the same way, or proves me wrong!

Like I said in order to be considered a Super 6 player you must have a very high boom factor and a very low bust factor. Super 6 players are the players who have a great combination of Size, strenght, speed, athletic ability, football IQ, work eithic, and on field production. I'm no where near down to those 6 players yet, but I have weeded out some players who I've seen over and over again to be let down every time. I've looked at numerous underclassman and almost every senior I could think of with great potential. Here is a list I have going right now. I'm sure there will me some underclassman who underrated players rise up boards throughout the year, but right now here are my top guys(not where I think they get drafted, but how they'll turn out in the pros)

1. Michael Oher OT Mississippi
2. George Selive DE South Florida
3. Eugene Monroe OT Virginia
4. Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri
5. Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia
6. Aaron Curry OLB Wake Forest
7. Rey Maualuga ILB USC
8. Matthew Stafford QB Georgia
9. William Moore S Missouri
10. Andre Smith OT Alabama
11. Antoine Caldwell C Alabama
12. Vonte Davis CB Illinois
13. Tim Tebow QB Florida
14. Tyson Jackson DE LSU
15. C.J. Spiller RB Clemson
16. Chris Wells RB Ohio State
17. Charles Scott RB LSU
18. Percy Harvin WR Florida
19. Taylor Mays S USC
20. Vince Oghobaase DT Duke
21. Brian Orakpo DE Texas
22. Greg Hardy DE Mississippi
23. Darius Butler CB Connecticut
24. Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech

Cribbs>Hester
09-24-2008, 08:00 AM
Here are my previous final Super 6 rankings. Early on I was more influeced by media outlets than I am now, but the more I learn about what works and doesn't work in the NFL and how scouts evaluate certain positions I'm become better and more self-evaluative instead of worring about what "experts" say.

1. Ricky Williams
2. Egerrin James
3. David Boston
4. Andy Katzenmoyer
5. Champ Bailey
6. Jevon Kearse

1. Courtney Brown
2. LaVar Arrington
3. Julian Peterson
4. Corey Simon
5. Peter Warrick
6. Chris Samuels

1. Leonard Davis
2. LaDainian Tomlinson
3. Dan Morgan
4. Richard Seymour
5. Steve Hutchinson
6. Nate Clements
7. Michael Vick

1. Julius Peppers
2. Quentin Jammer
3. Bryant McKinnie
4. John Henderson
5. LeCharles Bentley
6. Toniu Fonoti

1. Charles Rogers
2. Carson Palmer
3. Eric Steinbach
4. Troy Polamalu
5. Terence Newman
6. Andre Johnson

1. Robert Gallary
2. Kellen Winslow
3. Sean Taylor
4. Roy Williams
5. Karlos Dansby
6. Larry Fitzgerald

1. Cadillac Williams
2. Ronnie Brown
3. DeMarcus Ware
4. David Pollack
5. Derrick Johnson
6. Braylon Edwards

1. Mario Williams
2. A.J. Hawk
3. Jay Cutler
4. Reggie Bush
5. Manny Lawson
6. Bobby Carpenter

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Adian Peterson
3. Joe Thomas
4. Patrick Willis
5. Marshawn Lynch
6. Robert Meachem

1. Jonathan Stewart
2. Chris Long
3. Sedrick Ellis
4. Jake Long
5. Felix Jones
6. Quentin Groves

Race for the Heisman
09-24-2008, 01:30 PM
I have been doing something I call "Super 6" Cheesey I know, but it seems as though by years end there are usually about 6 super star players who a combination or elite potential and a low bust risk.

Like I said in order to be considered a Super 6 player you must have a very high boom factor and a very low bust factor. Super 6 players are the players who have a great combination of Size, strenght, speed, athletic ability, football IQ, work eithic, and on field production.

right now here are my top guys(not where I think they get drafted, but how they'll turn out in the pros)

2. George Selive DE South Florida
4. Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri
8. Matthew Stafford QB Georgia
15. C.J. Spiller RB Clemson
24. Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech

I think that when I combine your two definitions for what makes a 'Super Six' player, these five guys all have a ways to in terms of becoming elite, cannot-miss prospects, which is what it seems like you're looking for. Obviously they have time, but each has their own distinct problems that I think will linger.

Second, while I understand that you are trying to say these guys will succeed in the NFL (as per the last remaining selection of your post), success is in part dependent on draft slot. The two are intertwined because there are always expectations that come with a draft slot and success is a measure of actual performance versus expected performance. This success also has very different connotations from round to round, with the margin being greatest between one and two and lowest between seven and UDFA.

I'm pretty sure you get my point, but take Quentin Groves for example. He was talked of as a first round pick for a long time, but when the draft came around he fell all the way to 52 overall. If he had gone in the first, even mid/late first, the fans and the team would probably expect him to be a situational pass rusher at the very least in his first year with moderate (4 or 5 sacks) success before becoming a capable starter sometime into his second year. As a second round pick, he will still expected to become a starter, but the time table and overall pressure to succeed won't be as high, which will affect his ability to succeed.

Cribbs>Hester
09-24-2008, 01:45 PM
I don't think Maclin or Selvie have very many flaws right now and those they do have are easy fixes. The others you brought up are that low in my rankings for that very reason. It's very early right now and only 6 players are going to make it at season end, so most you listed won't even matter come draft day.

Also like I said I don't care what other people think a player should do. I don't care what experts say and I don't care about fan expectations. I only rank them on my own personal evaluations and expectations.

Race for the Heisman
09-24-2008, 02:09 PM
My issue with both Selvie and Maclin is body type. I don't know how much weight either can hold and play well/remain unhurt. Maclin will probably be fine in terms of injuries but I'm not entirely sold on his route-running yet (need to see more film). Selvie will probably be fine as well, but I still think his weight is an issue, probably moreso for his stock than how he turns out as a player so I guess I have to side with you on both of them in terms of chance for eventual success.

Cribbs>Hester
09-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Did you ever watch DeMarcus Ware play in college? He was a twig and they both have the same type of frame.

Race for the Heisman
09-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Did you ever watch DeMarcus Ware play in college? He was a twig and they both have the same type of frame.

I did not get to see Ware play in college, I haven't really been following college football that long. I don't remember/know if the same concerns existed about Ware at the time but I do believe that the combine will likely be huge for Selvie as a prospect as it was for Ware, and it should give me a better idea as to what his frame actually is.

rockio42
09-24-2008, 02:24 PM
I liked the list and I liked a lot of your previous lists (combined you only missed like 7 or 8 guys) I just was surpsied to see guys like Taylor Mays & Tim Tebow...gutsy calls and we'll see how they work out

Cribbs>Hester
09-24-2008, 02:27 PM
I liked the list and I liked a lot of your previous lists (combined you only missed like 7 or 8 guys) I just was surpsied to see guys like Taylor Mays & Tim Tebow...gutsy calls and we'll see how they work out

Really? I can name 13 up to 2006(its too early to call anything on 07 and 08) Some due to injury and what not, but non the less misses.

rockio42
09-24-2008, 02:31 PM
I count 11 at the most...

David Boston, Andy Katzenmoyer, Courtney Brown, Peter Warrick, Toniu Fonoti, Charles Rogers, Robert Gallery, David Pollack, Bobby Carpenter, Manny Lawson (hasn't had a chance but ill count him)

Cribbs>Hester
09-24-2008, 02:40 PM
I count 11 at the most...

David Boston, Andy Katzenmoyer, Courtney Brown, Peter Warrick, Toniu Fonoti, Charles Rogers, Robert Gallery, David Pollack, Bobby Carpenter, Manny Lawson (hasn't had a chance but ill count him)

Dan Morgan and LaVar Arrigton fizzeled really fast as well. They were more super athletes than good football players and it exposed them. Plus Dan Morgan was an idiot pick on my part because even in College he never lasted a whole season.

Other guys like Leonard Davis didn't live up to the billing either. They weren't horrible, but no world beaters.

BigBanger
09-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Looking back, I hardly ever have busts in my top 6. Even 2005 (My only huge blunder... outside David Carr), when just about every other prospect that went in the first round has disappointed. So, my top 6 for this year is bound to produce 6 Pro Bowl Caliber players.

2001 Draft (aka - The best DT Class Ever) My Top 10

1. LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, TCU
2. Casey Hampton, NT, Texas
3. Nate Clements, CB, Ohio State
4. Richard Seymour, DT, Georgia
5. Chris Chambers, WR, Wisconsin
6. Kris Jenkins, DT, Maryland
7. Sean Rogers, DT, Texas
8. Fred Smoot, CB, Mississippi State
9. Steve Hutchinson, OG, Michigan
10. Dan Morgan, MLB, Miami (FL)

2002 "Super 6"

1. Julius Peppers, DE, North Carolina
2. Ed Reed, FS, Miami (FL)
3. David Carr, QB, Fresno State
4. Javon Walker, WR, Florida Sate
5. Dwight Freeney, DE, Syracuse
6. Albert Haynesworth, NT, Tennessee

2003 "Super 6"

1. Terence Newman, CB, Kansas State
2. Carson Palmer, QB, USC
3. Terrell Suggs, DE/OLB, Arizona State
4. Troy Polamalu, SS, USC.
5. Larry Johnson, RB, Penn State
6. Anquan Boldin, WR, Florida State

2004 "Super 6"

1. Philip Rivers, QB, NC State
2. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pittsburgh
3. Sean Taylor, FS, Miami (FL)
4. Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Miami (OH)
5. Will Smith, DE, Ohio State
6. Steven Jackson, RB, Oregon State

2005 "Super 6"

1. Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan
2. DeMarcus Ware, DE/OLB, Troy
3. Cedric Benson, RB, Texas
4. Shawne Merrimen, DE/OLB, Maryland
5. Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn
6. Derrick Johnson, OLB, Texas

2006 "Super 6"

1. Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt (No, I did not have Bush 1st overall like everyone else. I wish I had Super Mario #1, though.)
2. Reggie Bush, RB, USC
3. Mario Williams, DE, NC State
4. Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
5. AJ Hawk, OLB, Ohio State
6. Michael Huff, SS, Texas

2007 "Super 6"

1. Calvin Jonhson, WR, Georgia Tech
2. Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin
3. Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
4. Patrick Willis, MLB, Mississippi
5. Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh
6. Jon Beason, MLB, Miami (FL)

2008 "Super 6"

1. Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio State
2. Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
3. Jerod Mayo, MLB, Tennessee (Only Patrick Willis and AJ Hawk have been rated high than Mayo for me, then its him and Jon Beason as far as LB prospects go)
4. Branden Albert, OG, Virginia
5. Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
6. Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

This year it would look like this (as of right now)

1. Vonte Davis, CB, Illinois
2. Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia (Exatly like Jay Cutler)
3. Andre Smith, OT, Arkansas
4. Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
5. Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi
6. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia

Looking back, I have noticed a pattern in my rankings that I never knew existed. I like a certain kind of DT (Haynseworth, Henderson, Ngata, Hampton, Rogers, Seymour, ect.) and rate them highly since they dominate the ground game so well). I also stay away from ranking QBs in the top 10 that don't possess elite tools and/or play in a pro style offense in college (Vince Young being a prime example, but he was in my top 15 and he's the only QB to play that kind of football and make it that high on my list. Mike Vick was not). I also rate LBs high because if they have the size/speed combo along with the instincts then they're going to be excellent at the next level. They have a low bust factor. Same goes for RBs. How Steven Jackson or Larry Johnson fell so far into Round 1 is mind-boggling.

wicket
09-24-2008, 04:31 PM
I cant say i have ever done this but i can make an honoust top 6 for me as far as liking the propects for this year in your top 6 theory as well as for how i rated them last year at drafttime:
2007:
1 Glenn Dorsey
2 Jake Long
3 Sed Ellis
4 Kenny Phillips
5 Branden Albert
6 Chris Long

For this year.
1 Knowshown Moreno
2 William Moore
3 Eugene Monroe
4 Sam Bradford (the only qb in this class i feel sort of sure about)
5 Jeremy Maclin*
6 Rey Maluaga

* I truly hate picking a wr here because it is a position where i am not really good at judging potential and when looking back in draft history the receivers i like most in the nfl are the ones that were drafted in the later rounds. But Maclin just has something special about him and i just hope for the sake of the game of football that he'll be able to translate that to pro-football and im rather sure he can.

Cribbs>Hester
09-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Looking back, I hardly ever have busts in my top 6. Even 2005 (My only huge blunder... outside David Carr), when just about every other prospect that went in the first round has disappointed. So, my top 6 for this year is bound to produce 6 Pro Bowl Caliber players.

Anyone can hit on every prospect when they call it after the fact. Hindsite is a beautiful thing.

Race for the Heisman
09-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Super Six (Seniors)

Michael Oher
Chase Coffman
Eugene Monroe
Brian Robiskie
Victor Harris
William Moore

Babylon
09-24-2008, 09:25 PM
1. Matt Stafford
2. Michael Crabtree
3. Michael Oher
4. Eugene Monroe
5. Beanie Wells
6. Vontae Davis

Sniper
09-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Dan Morgan and LaVar Arrigton fizzeled really fast as well. They were more super athletes than good football players and it exposed them. Plus Dan Morgan was an idiot pick on my part because even in College he never lasted a whole season.

Other guys like Leonard Davis didn't live up to the billing either. They weren't horrible, but no world beaters.

Leonard Davis made the Pro Bowl last year at guard and is regarded as an elite guard in the NFL.

BigBanger
09-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Anyone can hit on every prospect when they call it after the fact. Hindsite is a beautiful thing.
It's actually very easy to name 10 players that are going to be great NFL players, and make it look routine. It shouldn't be that hard. 10 guys? You can't find 10 guys that play college football and have no doubt they'll be great players at the next level? Its pretty sad if you miss on a majority of them. Don't get caught up in BS hype and feel like you have to put a guy like Larry Jonhson no higher than 15 since no one else does. When a guy runs for 2,000 yards in his final season, and has the kind of size, speed, vision, and balance of Larry Johnson... it's okay to call the guy a top 5 player. He was a monster, but for whatever reason(s) he falls, and everyone looks like an idiot for not having him ranked for where they should have. When you see a ballhawking FS like you've never seen before in Ed Reed, it's okay to call the guy the best safety you've ever seen. A guy like Mike Vick? He could never throw the ball. He still can't. He never showed the potential. What would cause someone to rank him in the top 10 as a QB? 1 reason, and one reason only, because the media hype. These analyst cream their pants over a "great talent" and talk the guy up like no tommarrow, and they convince everyone he's a great talent when he ain't a great football player. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about a player. I thought Pacman was too small, and wouldn't amount to much more than a decent #2 and a good special teams guy. If he hadn't had his off-field issues he'd be one of the best CBs in the game, and I never saw that out of him.

Jerod Mayo and Ryan Clady will see great success at the next level (Mark my words), but due to weak supporting players and little attention, they get bogged down for media guys like Chris Long and Glenn Dorsey and Darren McFadden. Mayo isn't even in the best system for his run stopping abilities, so his numbers won't be on par to the ones he could have put up if he were taken by a Tampa 2 defense, but he'll be a great player and he's easily one of the best LB prospects of this decade, yet he was a reach when NE took him at 10. Go figure. Tell me how he should have been ranked after he makes a Pro Bowl in a couple years, and plays at an elite level. Same for Clady.

Don't be surprised to see a guy like Brandon Spikes have a better NFL career than Rey Maulagua since Spikes has better instincts, takes better angles to the ball, and gets off blocks better. How many will have those two even closely rated? Not many. Its almost like Glenn Dorsey vs Sedrick Ellis. Dorsey is a far better player. Ellis' technique is shaky and you can almost guarantee he'll be gashed at the next level. He'll make a lot of the eye catching plays like a sack, but that 15 yard run? When Ellis get shoved down the line? You miss that one.

Go ahead and stick Tim Tebow in your top 6 for next year. You'll have another bust to add to your list. It's VERY EASY to see that he doesn't translate to the NFL level, but he's hyped up, and people will fall for it. You are one of them. I don't know how you look at Tebow and see "limited bust factor." If you think he's going to be taken in round 6, then yes, he does have a limited bust factor.

Sniper
09-24-2008, 11:15 PM

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Joe Thomas
3. LaRon Landry
4. Alan Branch
5. LaMarr Woodley
6. Dwayne Jarrett

1. Jake Long
2. Kenny Phillips
3. Sed Ellis
4. Glenn Dorsey
5. Chad Henne
6. Mike Hart

1. Andre Smith
2. Javon Ringer
3. Terrance Taylor
4. Chris Wells
5. Michael Crabtree
6. Malcolm Jenkins

SenorGato
09-25-2008, 02:01 AM

2001 Draft (aka - The best DT Class Ever) My Top 10

1. LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, TCU
2. Casey Hampton, NT, Texas
3. Nate Clements, CB, Ohio State
4. Richard Seymour, DT, Georgia
5. Chris Chambers, WR, Wisconsin
6. Kris Jenkins, DT, Maryland
7. Sean Rogers, DT, Texas
8. Fred Smoot, CB, Mississippi State
9. Steve Hutchinson, OG, Michigan
10. Dan Morgan, MLB, Miami (FL)

2002 "Super 6"

1. Julius Peppers, DE, North Carolina
2. Ed Reed, FS, Miami (FL)
3. David Carr, QB, Fresno State
4. Javon Walker, WR, Florida Sate
5. Dwight Freeney, DE, Syracuse
6. Albert Haynesworth, NT, Tennessee

2003 "Super 6"

1. Terence Newman, CB, Kansas State
2. Carson Palmer, QB, USC
3. Terrell Suggs, DE/OLB, Arizona State
4. Troy Polamalu, SS, USC.
5. Larry Johnson, RB, Penn State
6. Anquan Boldin, WR, Florida State

2004 "Super 6"

1. Philip Rivers, QB, NC State
2. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pittsburgh
3. Sean Taylor, FS, Miami (FL)
4. Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Miami (OH)
5. Will Smith, DE, Ohio State
6. Steven Jackson, RB, Oregon State

2005 "Super 6"

1. Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan
2. DeMarcus Ware, DE/OLB, Troy
3. Cedric Benson, RB, Texas
4. Shawne Merrimen, DE/OLB, Maryland
5. Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn
6. Derrick Johnson, OLB, Texas

2006 "Super 6"

1. Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt (No, I did not have Bush 1st overall like everyone else. I wish I had Super Mario #1, though.)
2. Reggie Bush, RB, USC
3. Mario Williams, DE, NC State
4. Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
5. AJ Hawk, OLB, Ohio State
6. Michael Huff, SS, Texas

2007 "Super 6"

1. Calvin Jonhson, WR, Georgia Tech
2. Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin
3. Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
4. Patrick Willis, MLB, Mississippi
5. Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh
6. Jon Beason, MLB, Miami (FL)

2008 "Super 6"

1. Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio State
2. Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
3. Jerod Mayo, MLB, Tennessee (Only Patrick Willis and AJ Hawk have been rated high than Mayo for me, then its him and Jon Beason as far as LB prospects go)
4. Branden Albert, OG, Virginia
5. Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
6. Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

This year it would look like this (as of right now)

1. Vonte Davis, CB, Illinois
2. Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia (Exatly like Jay Cutler)
3. Andre Smith, OT, Arkansas
4. Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
5. Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi
6. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia

Looking back, I have noticed a pattern in my rankings that I never knew existed. I like a certain kind of DT (Haynseworth, Henderson, Ngata, Hampton, Rogers, Seymour, ect.) and rate them highly since they dominate the ground game so well). I also stay away from ranking QBs in the top 10 that don't possess elite tools and/or play in a pro style offense in college (Vince Young being a prime example, but he was in my top 15 and he's the only QB to play that kind of football and make it that high on my list. Mike Vick was not). I also rate LBs high because if they have the size/speed combo along with the instincts then they're going to be excellent at the next level. They have a low bust factor. Same goes for RBs. How Steven Jackson or Larry Johnson fell so far into Round 1 is mind-boggling.

I like your thinking. Big ups to this post.

Scouting prospects isn't all that hard, you just have to eliminate the outside noise.

I like:

1. Greg Hardy
2. Andre Smith
3. Eugene Monroe
4. Matthew Stafford
5. Vontae Davis
6. LeSean McCoy

Michael Crabtree or DHB could try to sneak on if someone falls off. Crabtree is getting the hype now, but this far from combine DHB (or anyone) can climb real high...Everette Brown's another guy who I see as a guy with the potential to be an elite elite prospect.

eaglesalltheway
09-25-2008, 06:57 AM
I didn't do anything like this before, but here is what I would say for last years draft and this upcoming one.

Glenn Dorsey
Branden Albert
Chris Long
Ryan Clady
Jonathan Stewart
Sedrick Ellis

Eugene Monroe
Michael Oher
Andre Smith
Vontae Davis
William Moore
Malcolm Jenkins

That is just how I saw it last year and and see it this year. I tend to gravitate towards linemen, on both sides of the ball, for a few reasons. I have played at every position along the O and D lines, so i know what you have to do to be successful there. Its sort of like doctors, you stick to what you are most knowledgeable in. another reason is it just seems as though the bust factor for linemen is lower than some other positions like QB and WR. I think i will do one of these every year though. I really had done them, but they were just sort of in my head. I will probably be hesitant to put QBs and WRs in my top group as those are dificult to predict. Probably the only WR I would have felt safe putting it the "top 6" would be Calvin Johnson and the only QB I probably would have put in at the time would have been Carson Palmer. Those are recent though, as I really haven't been following the college game and the draft since I was about 13, which was 6 years ago.

Cribbs>Hester
09-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Leonard Davis made the Pro Bowl last year at guard and is regarded as an elite guard in the NFL.

He's a good guard, but not even Top 5 and you don't draft guards in the Top 6...

Geo
09-25-2008, 10:26 AM
I haven't thought up my six, but I know one for sure and he's at the top: Malcolm Jenkins of Ohio State. Best player in the Draft imo, he can be either (or both) a stud corner or stud free safety. I can't find a real fault with this guy. What hurts him is how willing will teams be to draft a defensive back that high? I could see him not make the Top 5, because the money involved almost necessitates taking a more premium position, somewhat similar to Adrian Peterson reaching the Vikings' pick in '07.

eaglesalltheway
09-25-2008, 01:01 PM
The more I see of Jenkins , the more I like, the same goes with Vontae Davis, both are very, very good CB prospects. Is it just me, or is this shaping up to be a very strong year for the draft? It seems there are so many highly touted O-line prospects, especially tackles, and the D-lines are great as well. LB is strong right now, as is RB. There are great options at Safety and the way it seems right now there will be lots of depth there as well. CB has some great ones, as mentioned, and as a whole looks good. There are even strong options at TE early in the draft. QB is the only question mark, and that is looking better as the year goes on.

Cribbs>Hester
09-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Scouting prospects isn't all that hard, you just have to eliminate the outside noise.

It's actually very easy to name 10 players that are going to be great NFL players, and make it look routine. It shouldn't be that hard. 10 guys? You can't find 10 guys that play college football and have no doubt they'll be great players at the next level?

Well shouldn't you two be GM's of your favorite teams my God. You can sure talk a big game, but you'll never ever play the game thats for sure. See real GM and pro scouts actually have to rank their players in advance rather than 3-4 years down the road.

STARHEATHER
09-25-2008, 07:18 PM
1. josh freeman
2. terrence cody
3. tyson jackson
4. eugene monroe
5 jermaine gresham
6 brandon pettigrew

SenorGato
09-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Well shouldn't you two be GM's of your favorite teams my God. You can sure talk a big game, but you'll never ever play the game thats for sure. See real GM and pro scouts actually have to rank their players in advance rather than 3-4 years down the road.

I didn't make any claims to anything of the sort...but I think if you keep anything simple and it's easy...size, speed, and a brain capable of understanding the game...I also think it's important that people focus more on what a guy *can* do vs. what he can't do...for example college QBs who "just win." Thats fun and all, but do they have the tools and work ethic to be an NFL QB? Takes more than being on a good college team.

eaglesalltheway
09-26-2008, 06:40 AM
1. josh freeman
2. terrence cody
3. tyson jackson
4. eugene monroe
5 jermaine gresham
6 brandon pettigrew

Fan of the TEs are we?

I really like both of these guys, I wouldn't put them up in my top 6 of prospects to succeed though, as I think this class has a lot of guys ahead of them that are lilely to be successful. I do think both will be successful Tes in the NFL, I just think there are guys ahead of them that will succeed as well.

iBoldin
09-26-2008, 10:15 AM
1. josh freeman
2. terrence cody
3. tyson jackson
4. eugene monroe
5 jermaine gresham
6 brandon pettigrew

Really, Terrence Cody? What do you see in him right now that makes you think he will go in the 1st round? I like the originality man, but not that much ;) .

DreadedDatSkinsFan
09-26-2008, 04:38 PM
It's actually very easy to name 10 players that are going to be great NFL players, and make it look routine. It shouldn't be that hard. 10 guys? You can't find 10 guys that play college football and have no doubt they'll be great players at the next level? Its pretty sad if you miss on a majority of them. Don't get caught up in BS hype and feel like you have to put a guy like Larry Jonhson no higher than 15 since no one else does. When a guy runs for 2,000 yards in his final season, and has the kind of size, speed, vision, and balance of Larry Johnson... it's okay to call the guy a top 5 player. He was a monster, but for whatever reason(s) he falls, and everyone looks like an idiot for not having him ranked for where they should have. When you see a ballhawking FS like you've never seen before in Ed Reed, it's okay to call the guy the best safety you've ever seen. A guy like Mike Vick? He could never throw the ball. He still can't. He never showed the potential. What would cause someone to rank him in the top 10 as a QB? 1 reason, and one reason only, because the media hype. These analyst cream their pants over a "great talent" and talk the guy up like no tommarrow, and they convince everyone he's a great talent when he ain't a great football player. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about a player. I thought Pacman was too small, and wouldn't amount to much more than a decent #2 and a good special teams guy. If he hadn't had his off-field issues he'd be one of the best CBs in the game, and I never saw that out of him.

Jerod Mayo and Ryan Clady will see great success at the next level (Mark my words), but due to weak supporting players and little attention, they get bogged down for media guys like Chris Long and Glenn Dorsey and Darren McFadden. Mayo isn't even in the best system for his run stopping abilities, so his numbers won't be on par to the ones he could have put up if he were taken by a Tampa 2 defense, but he'll be a great player and he's easily one of the best LB prospects of this decade, yet he was a reach when NE took him at 10. Go figure. Tell me how he should have been ranked after he makes a Pro Bowl in a couple years, and plays at an elite level. Same for Clady.

Don't be surprised to see a guy like Brandon Spikes have a better NFL career than Rey Maulagua since Spikes has better instincts, takes better angles to the ball, and gets off blocks better. How many will have those two even closely rated? Not many. Its almost like Glenn Dorsey vs Sedrick Ellis. Dorsey is a far better player. Ellis' technique is shaky and you can almost guarantee he'll be gashed at the next level. He'll make a lot of the eye catching plays like a sack, but that 15 yard run? When Ellis get shoved down the line? You miss that one.

Go ahead and stick Tim Tebow in your top 6 for next year. You'll have another bust to add to your list. It's VERY EASY to see that he doesn't translate to the NFL level, but he's hyped up, and people will fall for it. You are one of them. I don't know how you look at Tebow and see "limited bust factor." If you think he's going to be taken in round 6, then yes, he does have a limited bust factor.

See this dude gets it 100%...Other than the Michael Vick comment!!! lol...

Im the biggest UF hater on earth...But Spikes is gonna be that dude in the league...and I dont think he will have a better career than Rey Rey...He will be just as good...

STARHEATHER
09-26-2008, 06:59 PM
becuase hes the best defensive player available. top end nose tackle prospects come around about once every 5 years. and theyre all dominant. where he gets picked is immaterial. hes a genetic miracle. well get a nice taste this weekend. hes going to do some mythbustin vs georgia. whether you like it or not, makes no difference. take a big whiff. codys the poo. i want him. hes lightning quick, huge and does 360 dunks. and weve already seen what he does in the games. just shuts down the run game totally. no one has been able to run it against them. a run destroyer is the basis for any great defense. if you cant run, you cant win. and it doesnt look as if you can run against him. so i want him. cause these types dont grow on trees. so you can not like it as much as you like. if youve seen my posts, theres nothing youll read in any magazines. thats how you avoid paying 20 mil to dudes like chris long and glenn dorsey so you can be the worst defense in the league. no hype. all domination. terrence cody

STARHEATHER
09-26-2008, 07:07 PM
maalugas awful. didnt you see the game. then his pride was hurt at the end. from night of getting steamrolled by a 5 6 180 lb rb. imagine whats going to happen when nfl backs and lineman get hold of this chump. pettigrew and gresham are two of the best te prospects in a while. they both block at the dominant level and have athletic and pass catching skills far above the average

Cribbs>Hester
09-30-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm going to watch Michael Johnson very closely these next two games against Duke and Gardner-Webb. If he can't get something going against these two teams then he could very well find his way off my list of potential Top 6 canidates.

Also Rey Rey and Taylor Mays looks helpless in their games. Greg Hardy is back and even better than before his injury. Charles Scott is still beasting it so I've got some rearranging to do as far as the current order of my rankings goes.

Iamcanadian
09-30-2008, 04:39 PM

We could all say the same thing about your rankings. You sure waited a long time to let us all know how good you are?
Actually GM's and pro scouts will vary the # of top prospects year to year. Sometimes it goes as high as 12 and sometimes there is only one or two.
There is a huge difference between watching a game on TV and having pro type film where the camera is on one player for the whole play maybe for the whole game and each play can be broken down step by step while on TV you are lucky to get a quick glimpse of a player until he makes a tackle or catches the ball unless they run slow motion on that play which might account for maybe 20% of the plays if that.
Tell me how many times did you watch film on Ware since none of his college games were televised. He wasn't even considered a 1st round prospect until he worked out at the combine and made a substantial rise.
I'd have been a lot more impressed if you put out this year's draft choices before the season even started so we could all judge in a real way how well your prediction were.
I just wonder why you never shared this in the Cleveland Forum unless I missed it. You also said you aren't that into the draft but perfer to watch non Div 1 games so I'm just wondering how you came to conclude all these Div 1 players were elite since you don't like to watch Div 1 games.

adschofield
09-30-2008, 06:07 PM
becuase hes the best defensive player available. top end nose tackle prospects come around about once every 5 years. and theyre all dominant. where he gets picked is immaterial. hes a genetic miracle. well get a nice taste this weekend. hes going to do some mythbustin vs georgia. whether you like it or not, makes no difference. take a big whiff. codys the poo. i want him. hes lightning quick, huge and does 360 dunks. and weve already seen what he does in the games. just shuts down the run game totally. no one has been able to run it against them. a run destroyer is the basis for any great defense. if you cant run, you cant win. and it doesnt look as if you can run against him. so i want him. cause these types dont grow on trees. so you can not like it as much as you like. if youve seen my posts, theres nothing youll read in any magazines. thats how you avoid paying 20 mil to dudes like chris long and glenn dorsey so you can be the worst defense in the league. no hype. all domination. terrence cody

You are the biggest tool on this board, and that's saying a lot

vidae
09-30-2008, 06:28 PM

Wow. Chris Long and Glenn Dorsey have played in four regular season games and you've already written them off? Interesting. I can tell you are an excellent talent evaluator.

STARHEATHER
09-30-2008, 06:36 PM
care to refute? or is that all you have

adschofield
09-30-2008, 07:25 PM
care to refute? or is that all you have

How exactly is Dorsey a bust? Tank and Dorsey have shut down the run up the middle, and it's only a matter of time before Dorsey starts getting some pass rush

STARHEATHER
09-30-2008, 07:51 PM
high picks are supposed to improve your defense immediately not put them in the toilet. which is where there respective units are. i dont see any silver lining in paying a dude 20 mil guaranteed when matt ryan or joe flacco are on the board and they cant even help at least even be respectable. i wrote thm off long before they even got picked. becuase i knew they werent impact players and knew they werent worth the selection. dorsey didnt rush the passer in college 13 carrer college sacks in 4 yrs. so the idea that he was ever a great pass rusher was just another in a long line of fabrications of dorseys talent level. its only a matter of time before he gets hurt thats pretty much it. ill take terrence cody. he actually performs as advertised. one gander at the ark tape last year says all there is to say about dorsey. have you seen omobi okoye play? well dorseys not as good, and thats not good, becuase okoye is terrible. and not as young, and not as quick and not as strong. ill take terrence cody. i know hell be able to run stuff at worst, and posibly much more. hes a freakish athlete, unlike dorsey, whos below average in every way other than hype, and always was. chek out that ark tape

adschofield
09-30-2008, 07:58 PM
high picks are supposed to improve your defense immediately not put them in the toilet. which is where there respective units are. i dont see any silver lining in paying a dude 20 mil guaranteed when matt ryan or joe flacco are on the board and they cant even help at least even be respectable. i wrote thm off long before they even got picked. becuase i knew they werent impact players and knew they werent worth the selection. dorsey didnt rush the passer in college 13 carrer college sacks in 4 yrs. so the idea that he was ever a great pass rusher was just another in a long line of fabrications of dorseys talent level. its only a matter of time before he gets hurt thats pretty much it. ill take terrence cody. he actually performs as advertised. one gander at the ark tape last year says all there is to say about dorsey. have you seen omobi okoye play? well dorseys not as good, and thats not good, becuase okoye is terrible. and not as young, and not as quick and not as strong. ill take terrence cody. i know hell be able to run stuff at worst, and posibly much more. hes a freakish athlete, unlike dorsey, whos below average in every way other than hype, and always was. chek out that ark tape

What evidence do you have that Dorsey hasn't played well? He doesn't get sacks but he can penetrate up the middle in both the pass and run game. Again, he's shut down the run up the middle...The defense is struggling because of the absence of Jared Allen and the struggles of the LB core

STARHEATHER
09-30-2008, 08:05 PM
i knew he was bust before the pick. its only a matter of time too before he goes on the dl. bottom line, hes not helping. and they havent been up against the top competition. theyre not any better than they were a year ago. maybe worse. hes not making an impact and improving their team. the 15 day is coming.hes not blowing up any run games. thats one thing i know about dorsey. its just a matter of time. and hes not earning that 20 mil guaranteed. and theyll be back up in the top 5 again.

adschofield
09-30-2008, 08:09 PM
i knew he was bust before the pick. its only a matter of time too before he goes on the dl. bottom line, hes not helping. and they havent been up against the top competition. theyre not any better than they were a year ago. maybe worse. hes not making an impact and improving their team. the 15 day is coming.hes not blowing up any run games. thats one thing i know about dorsey. its just a matter of time. and hes not earning that 20 mil guaranteed. and theyll be back up in the top 5 again.

Of course we're worse, we blew up our entire team and trading our best player... You haven't even been watching Dorsey, you just wrote him off before he was drafted so you can look like a maverick.

Babylon
09-30-2008, 08:11 PM

Chris Long is on a pace to get 8 sacks, that would be more than decent for a rookie.

Cribbs>Hester
09-30-2008, 08:55 PM
We could all say the same thing about your rankings. You sure waited a long time to let us all know how good you are?
Actually GM's and pro scouts will vary the # of top prospects year to year. Sometimes it goes as high as 12 and sometimes there is only one or two.
There is a huge difference between watching a game on TV and having pro type film where the camera is on one player for the whole play maybe for the whole game and each play can be broken down step by step while on TV you are lucky to get a quick glimpse of a player until he makes a tackle or catches the ball unless they run slow motion on that play which might account for maybe 20% of the plays if that.
Tell me how many times did you watch film on Ware since none of his college games were televised. He wasn't even considered a 1st round prospect until he worked out at the combine and made a substantial rise.
I'd have been a lot more impressed if you put out this year's draft choices before the season even started so we could all judge in a real way how well your prediction were.
I just wonder why you never shared this in the Cleveland Forum unless I missed it. You also said you aren't that into the draft but perfer to watch non Div 1 games so I'm just wondering how you came to conclude all these Div 1 players were elite since you don't like to watch Div 1 games.

Except mine are realistic. I didn't post all pro bowlers. I oidn't say "it was obvious Larry Johnson was going to be a star" Heck the only late 1st or 2nd rounders on my list are guards or centers. Everyone knows they don't get drafted high, but obviously some are going to be good. That is a realistic pick of a 2nd rounder, not saying you called the Larry Johnson, Chad Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Shaun Rogers bull crap. Heck why do I even care even my 2nd round guard prospect failed in Tonui....if I wanted to lie I could have done waaaaaaaaay better. Believe it or not I don't care it'll be the same.

I'm not into it as much as you guys because I focus on the very very very Top athletes and then I spend saturdays at Divison II or III games here in Ohio. I don't pay attention to all 300 and some prospects and I can't argue about mid round prospects like everyone on the board wants to because I don't care about them and I don't watch them.

Obviously this year since I'm no longer working I have a ton more free time to watch more players and games.

vidae
09-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Of course we're worse, we blew up our entire team and trading our best player... You haven't even been watching Dorsey, you just wrote him off before he was drafted so you can look like a maverick.

He doesn't know what he's talking about. Our defense, as a whole, is better because Dorsey is in the middle. He doesn't impact our team at all, right? Tell me why we held Denver, the #1 offense in the league going into the game, to 97 rushing yards and one overall TD then. Our LB corp is bad. We have one stud, one decent starter, and a MLB who should not be starting.

adschofield
09-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Except mine are realistic. I didn't post all pro bowlers. I oidn't say "it was obvious Larry Johnson was going to be a star" Heck the only late 1st or 2nd rounders on my list are guards or centers. Everyone knows they don't get drafted high, but obviously some are going to be good. That is a realistic pick of a 2nd rounder, not saying you called the Larry Johnson, Chad Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Shaun Rogers bull crap. Heck why do I even care even my 2nd round guard prospect failed in Tonui....if I wanted to lie I could have done waaaaaaaaay better. Believe it or not I don't care it'll be the same.

I'm not into it as much as you guys because I focus on the very very very Top athletes and then I spend saturdays at Divison II or III games here in Ohio. I don't pay attention to all 300 and some prospects and I can't argue about mid round prospects like everyone on the board wants to because I don't care about them and I don't watch them.

Obviously this year since I'm no longer working I have a ton more free time to watch more players and games.

It's all right you knew about The Way, The Truth, The Light aka Brandon Carr before most, so all is good

Saints-Tigers
09-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Glen Dorsey is a beast, I've been watching him since he arrived at LSU, it wasn't about media hype at all, he's extremely smart and tough, strong as anyone it seems, he can take doubles head on, split through them with his speed, play the run and the pass.

When you have someone that powerful, with his quick feet and technique, AND a non-stop motor, you have a truly special big man.

Borat
09-30-2008, 10:19 PM
FWIW, I'd kill to have Dorsey in SF.

STARHEATHER
10-01-2008, 06:51 PM
really. how come atlanta ran for 200+ against them. how come the raiders did also. and those arent the top of the nfl heap by any means. keep believing. a beast doesnt play on adefense that allows 200+ yards rushing. especially vs those scrub teams. especailly when his job is to blow up the run. the only reason denver didnt is because they cant run at all against anyone. so obviously, hes not dominating, or even good. the #s dont lie

Saints-Tigers
10-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Because one player doesn't make a good footall team, and you are a moron for thinking so.

STARHEATHER
10-01-2008, 07:06 PM
his job is to shut down the middle of the field. hes not doing it. and you guessed it. kc vs the run dead last 32nd in the league.

STARHEATHER
10-01-2008, 07:08 PM
5.3 ypc allowed. i guess thats jared allens presence missed. or brian johnstons fault. obviously youre an lsu fan and thats cool. but get off the dorsey wagon before its too late. there are other tigers who can actually play

iBoldin
10-01-2008, 07:13 PM
The point is, your not giving him a chance at all. The only players you seem to do that to is Cody. You can't assume that a rookie is going to bust after four games into the NFL.

STARHEATHER
10-01-2008, 07:18 PM
i already know hes not good and will never be. and hes soon to be hitting the 15 day just like he has every year of his career. should have immediate positive impact, instead having immediate negative impact. 32nd allowing 5.3 per says all there is to say. when teams run wild on you, that on the defensive line. just like ark did. like raiders and atlanta did. and that 15 day is right around the corner.

Saints-Tigers
10-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Dorsey>Cody

Dorsey singlehandedly won a national title for us, cuz one player deserves all the credit for a defense, so I think Dorsey made us elite.

YOU CANT REFUTE ME CUZ WE WON THE TITLE.

adschofield
10-01-2008, 08:52 PM
You're not listening...Dorsey has controlled the middle of the field with Tank Tyler...Teams are getting their rushing yards off tackle...But you wouldn't know that because you haven't watched any of the Chiefs games, have you?

adschofield
10-01-2008, 08:52 PM
i already know hes not good and will never be. and hes soon to be hitting the 15 day just like he has every year of his career. should have immediate positive impact, instead having immediate negative impact. 32nd allowing 5.3 per says all there is to say. when teams run wild on you, that on the defensive line. just like ark did. like raiders and atlanta did. and that 15 day is right around the corner.

Who is +repping this joker?

jnew76
10-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Who is +repping this joker?

not it

MythBusta - Decent arguments at times

Arguement delivery - FAIL

STARHEATHER
10-01-2008, 09:03 PM
32nd in the league 5.3 per carry. in contrast the baltimmore ravens are giving up 2.9 per carry. thats all the argumnent i need. im not lawyering. and im repping downwards, becuase that where all the people in the know seem to be. the "yes" men have high reps. its like golf. the lower the better. theyre probably the same ones who touted glenn dorsey as the next great one. 32nd 5.3. the #s dont lie. i guess thats brandon flowers fault.

jnew76
10-01-2008, 09:15 PM
2009 (draft eligible as of right now)

1. Vontae Davis
2. Eugene Monroe
3. Andre Smith
4. George Selvie
5. Jeremy Maclin
6. Beanie Wells
7. Darius Heyward-Bey
8. Sam Bradford
9. Ricky Jean-Francois
10. Sean Weatherspoon - (Most Underrated player in college football)
11. Duke Robinson - Beastly
12. Michael Oher
13. Alphonso Smith
14. Rey Rey
15. Malcolm Jenkins
16. Tyson Jackson

1. Glen Dorsey
2. Jake Long
3. Dominique Rogers-Cromartie
4. Matt Ryan
5. Darren McFadden
6. Sedrick Ellis

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Patrick Willis
3. Joe Thomas
4. Adrian Peterson
5. LaRon Landry
6. Gaines Adams

Best - Trent Edwards(#9) and Tony Ugoh(#12)
Worst - Dwayne Bowe(#52) and Dwayne Jarrett(#11)

1. Vince Young (still a believer, in denial)
2. Reggie Bush
3. Mario Williams
4. DBrick
5. Antonio Cromartie (I loved him more than anyone on this board by far)
6. Matt Leinart

Best - Cromartie, Jimmy Williams(#62), Nick Mangold(#14)
Worst - Haloti NGata(#33), Donte Whitner(#47)

1. Cadillac Williams
2. Braylon Edwards
3. Derrick Johnson
4. Mike Williams (oops)
5. Shawne Merriman
6. Ronnie Brown

Best - Frank Gore(#22)
Worst - Mike Williams, Alex Barron (#9) among others, this draft sucked.

1. Roy Williams
2. Sean Taylor
3. Ben Roethlisberger
4. Eli Manning
5. DeAngelo Hall
6. Tommie Harris

Best - Roethlisberger, Karlos Dansby (#8), Vince Wilfork(#9)
Worst - Phillip Rivers(#24), Kevin Jones (#13)

Bruce Banner
10-01-2008, 09:19 PM
1. Calvin Johnson
2. Patrick Willis
3. Joe Thomas
4. Adrian Peterson
5. LaRon Landry
6. Gaines Adams

GREAT class. Already.

STARHEATHER
10-01-2008, 09:43 PM
well joe thomas isnt looking too hot at the moment. cj isnt helping his team win much. laron landry doesnt scream greatness. gaines adams `is nowhere near the top of the de heap in the nfl. so id say you hit 2 of 6 at the moment. willis isnt helping his team much. cant dispute ap. so id say youre 1 for 6 at this moment

Bruce Banner
10-01-2008, 09:44 PM
well joe thomas isnt looking too hot at the moment. cj isnt helping his team win much. laron landry doesnt scream greatness. gaines adams `is nowhere near the top of the de heap in the nfl. so id say you hit 2 of 6 at the moment. willis isnt helping his team much. cant dispute ap. so id say youre 1 for 6 at this moment

WTF Myth?
I tried to rationalize most of the **** you've been saying in the Rey Rey thread and whatnot but you are going off the deep end on this one.

jnew76
10-01-2008, 09:45 PM

Really too early to tell on all accounts

Cribbs>Hester

Joe Thomas has given up 1 sack to DeMarcus Ware who would basically own any LT in the history of the game not names Anthony Munoz. Its not his fault that the other 5 guys are sucking, the backs can't pick up a blitz, and Derek Anderson is acting like a deer in headlights.

CLong4Heisman

You had my respect until you just wrote that. Willis won the DROY, Landry is a top 5 safety, Adams is a good DE, CJ is a monster and just needs a better Oline. Thomas was the key cog for the browns last year. He's 6 for 6

adschofield
10-01-2008, 10:10 PM
32nd in the league 5.3 per carry. in contrast the baltimmore ravens are giving up 2.9 per carry. thats all the argumnent i need. im not lawyering. and im repping downwards, becuase that where all the people in the know seem to be. the "yes" men have high reps. its like golf. the lower the better. theyre probably the same ones who touted glenn dorsey as the next great one. 32nd 5.3. the #s dont lie. i guess thats brandon flowers fault.

You're not even confronting my arguement...I said teams don't run up the middle on the Chiefs b/c of Dorsey and Tank, and you've said nothing to refute that and instead quoted meaningless stats. You're done.

Cribbs>Hester
10-09-2008, 01:45 AM
New Rankings:

1. Andre Smith OT Alabama
2. Michael Oher OT Mississippi
3. George Selive DE South Florida
4. Eugene Monroe OT Virginia
5. Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri
6. Aaron Curry OLB Wake Forest
7. Charles Scott RB LSU
8. Chris Wells RB Ohio State
9. Antoine Caldwell C Alabama