PDA

View Full Version : Possible coup d'etat forming in Oakland?

nobodyinparticular
09-25-2008, 02:26 AM
Link (http://www.examiner.com/x-514-Oakland-Raiders-Examiner~y2008m9d24-Coup-detat-forming-in-Oakland-Raiders-ownership)

Well, this is what everyone has been wanting for years. Remove Davis from power. Honestly, I do not see this happening though. As a man who took ownership of the Raiders through a coup himself, Al Davis has set himself up with as secure a position as possible.

The only option seems to be for the NFL to get involved, but that would require the minority owners to take the case to the NFL. A Raider team that is competitive is good for the NFL--it is unlikely the Raiders will be competitive until Davis is out of the controlling ownership.

BlindSite
09-25-2008, 03:13 AM
There's no solution here. Oakland fans just need to cry into their pillow for a few years till Davis shuffles off this mortal coil .

CC.SD
09-25-2008, 09:14 AM
There's no solution here. Oakland fans just need to cry into their pillow for a few years till Davis shuffles off this mortal coil .

aka never?

If this guy lives another 5 years that's a whole lot more disaster to clean up. At least someone is trying to get him out.

MetSox17
09-25-2008, 10:03 AM
What that means is that despite the fact that Davis is dictator of the Oakland Raiders, he has to abide by the bylaws and contracts of the National Football League. In the normal context of football operations, this means that he has to obey the salary cap, rules of free agency and draft order. However, if the limited partners can convince the NFL leadership that Al Davis is no longer running the team in a manner consistent with league standards, theoretically the league can step in.

I really don't see how you can prove that he's running the team incompetently, according to the guidelines the NFL sets. Unless he starts tampering with other players or something like that, you can't really make a strong enough case for the NFL to really take any action.

It's a nice glimmer of hope for Raiders fans, but your best option is still for nature to take it's course and.. umm.. "give" you all a new leader.

awfullyquiet
09-25-2008, 10:03 AM
It has to be theatrical and dramatic.

CC.SD
09-25-2008, 11:24 AM
It has to be theatrical and dramatic.

Yeah, maybe someone can challenge him to a duel! And then Davis will turn into a bat and fly away into the moonless night to rise again when the hunger is once again upon him.

FlyingElvis
09-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Now, now - let's not get too crazy.

With Millen now gone from the Lions, I'd say getting rid of Davis as well would be way to much for NFL fans to handle.

Baby steps. I don't think I could handle that much positive change in one season.

MetSox17
09-25-2008, 12:07 PM
I'd like to know the thoughts of the rest of the board.

Who has worse management/ownership. The Lions or Raiders?

FlyingElvis
09-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Raiders. At least Ford understands the importance of continuity in management. Granted, he stuck with a dud far too long, but at least he gave someone ample time to prove their worth.

MetSox17
09-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Raiders. At least Ford understands the importance of continuity in management. Granted, he stuck with a dud far too long, but at least he gave someone ample time to prove their worth.

And what exactly has that done for the Lions for the past, say, 30 years?

One playoff win?

WMD
09-25-2008, 12:18 PM

One playoff win?

Uh, EXCUSE ME.. that's 50 Years! Get your facts straight, poncho.

MetSox17
09-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Uh, EXCUSE ME.. that's 50 Years! Get your facts straight, poncho.

Haha, actually i had posted 50 originally, but then edited to say 30 cause i didn't remember if i had the number i had heard on ESPN properly. But yeah, it has been 50.

Xiomera
09-25-2008, 12:44 PM
As a survivor of the Millen era, I would urge Raiders fans to remain vigilant. Start holding protests. Al Davis is now the clear-cut craziest man in football.

eaglesalltheway
09-25-2008, 12:52 PM
As a survivor of the Millen era, I would urge Raiders fans to remain vigilant. Start holding protests. Al Davis is now the clear-cut craziest man in football.

He has been for a while, I think Millen was regarded as the dumbest, but Davis has the corner on crazy.

BlindSite
09-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Haha, actually i had posted 50 originally, but then edited to say 30 cause i didn't remember if i had the number i had heard on ESPN properly. But yeah, it has been 50.

I'm not sure which would hurt more over the last 20 though, never sniffing the playoffs, or having your owner give away 3 superbowls through trades and his own stupidity.

Xonraider
09-25-2008, 05:34 PM

The Raiders made the Super Bowl 6 years ago, don't forget that.

09-25-2008, 06:10 PM
The Raiders made the Super Bowl 6 years ago, don't forget that.

Ah, the glory days. :rolleyes:

MetSox17
09-25-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm not sure which would hurt more over the last 20 though, never sniffing the playoffs, or having your owner give away 3 superbowls through trades and his own stupidity.

That's like saying having been married and then divorced to __(insert beautiful woman here)___ thanks to your own stupidty is worse than not having had her at all.

You still got to hit it for a few years.

BlindSite
09-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Well its more like saying, I wonder whats worse "banging the ugly broad" or "banging the hot broad, only to throw her to the curb and then watch your mates all get a turn"

wingboy2999
09-25-2008, 07:42 PM
As Xio said... keep the faith. I kept bringing up the possibility of Millen being fired and no one would go with me. AND THEN IT HAPPENED!!! But the two crappy ownerships get turned around.....? No way.

awfullyquiet
09-26-2008, 02:45 AM
As Xio said... keep the faith. I kept bringing up the possibility of Millen being fired and no one would go with me. AND THEN IT HAPPENED!!! But the two crappy ownerships get turned around.....? No way.

unplausible!

seriously though... i think the raiders have been more inept over the past 5 years than the lions... and this is a what have you done for me lately league...

i mean... sarf went from being "still" to "slightly"...

that says something

FlyingElvis
09-26-2008, 11:48 AM

One playoff win?

lol. A good point, but it's subjective, and I still think Al Davis trumps all in poor management & leadership. The guy breeds instability & lousy decision making similar to the that of the Lions, but he meddles way more in the affairs of those he hires. Thus he should bear more responsibility for the mess and is, in my opinion, the epitome of bad management/leadership in the NFL.

At least Ford Sr. can say "well, we gave Millen all the power to succeed and he failed." - passing the buck for the horrible state of the franchise. Davis does not have that option.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-26-2008, 05:51 PM
lol. A good point, but it's subjective, and I still think Al Davis trumps all in poor management & leadership. The guy breeds instability & lousy decision making similar to the that of the Lions, but he meddles way more in the affairs of those he hires. Thus he should bear more responsibility for the mess and is, in my opinion, the epitome of bad management/leadership in the NFL.
I'm not sure I completely agree with that.Up untill Kiffin came along we had the same coach around for 4 years.

MetSox17
09-26-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure I completely agree with that.Up untill Kiffin came along we had the same coach around for 4 years.

Um.. did you forget about Art Shell? Norv Turner, Bill Callahan?

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Um.. did you forget about Art Shell? Norv Turner, Bill Callahan?
Different schemes but all puppets.

Dam8610
09-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Link (http://www.examiner.com/x-514-Oakland-Raiders-Examiner~y2008m9d24-Coup-detat-forming-in-Oakland-Raiders-ownership)

Well, this is what everyone has been wanting for years. Remove Davis from power. Honestly, I do not see this happening though. As a man who took ownership of the Raiders through a coup himself, Al Davis has set himself up with as secure a position as possible.

The only option seems to be for the NFL to get involved, but that would require the minority owners to take the case to the NFL. A Raider team that is competitive is good for the NFL--it is unlikely the Raiders will be competitive until Davis is out of the controlling ownership.

Every Raider fan should by one limited partner share, then organize some kind of petition/legal action to be taken to Roger Goodell. Okay, it's a longshot, but realistically, that's your best shot at getting rid of Al Davis before he dies Raider fans.

Dam8610
09-26-2008, 07:14 PM
I'd like to know the thoughts of the rest of the board.

Who has worse management/ownership. The Lions or Raiders?

Raiders by far. The Fords aren't meddling owners, that much makes them superior a thousand fold.

giantsfan
09-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Heard earlier today that Linehan and Hasslett hate each other so much that the cutting of Fahkir Brown was Scott Linehan showing up Haslett. If that's the case it begs the question, who has a more messed up situation oakland or STL.

SuperKevin
09-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Al Davis will hire Matt Millen to be the Raiders' GM after hearing rumors that Millen runs a 4.3 40 yard dash

giantsfan
09-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Al Davis will hire Matt Millen to be the Raiders' GM after hearing rumors that Millen runs a 4.3 40 yard dash

Why does Al always get terrible information?

CC.SD
09-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Why does Al always get terrible information?

Because he can't go into the daylight.