PDA

View Full Version : Brian Dawkins- Hall of Famer?

Sniper
09-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Well, what say ye?

167 Games
1152 Tackles
18 Sacks
33 Interceptions
32 Forced Fumbles
4 Defensive TDs

Dammit I forgot to make a poll.

MetSox17
09-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Where did you get your stats? NFL.com has him with 842 tackles, not your number. The rest are right, though.

As for the question, i think he is. Definitely not first ballot, or first five or so, but he'll get in eventually. If he gets in though, Darren Woodson better damn well get in also.

Woody: 3 rings
Dawkins: 0 rings

:D

M.O.T.H.
09-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Well if you're putting Dawkins in, then Rodney Harrison should def. get in and a lot of people seem to be on the fence when it comes to him.

regoob2
09-25-2008, 09:01 PM
I think he should. He has been a beast for a decade.

Sniper
09-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Where did you get your stats? NFL.com has him with 842 tackles, not your number. The rest are right, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Dawkins

Though NFL.com is probably more accurate haha. Darren Woodson should get in, but judging him of championships when he was on a loaded team his entire career and comparing it to Dawkins who was on a **** team for the majority of his career is apples and oranges.

regoob2
09-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Well if you're putting Dawkins in, then Rodney Harrison should def. get in and a lot of people seem to be on the fence when it comes to him.
I dont think Harrison was ever an elite S.

Sniper
09-25-2008, 09:03 PM

That's because Rodney Harrison is a dirty player and not very well-liked. I've never heard anyone say a bad word about Dawkins. And Harrison is a SS, while Dawk is a FS. Completely different.

M.O.T.H.
09-25-2008, 09:03 PM
I dont think Harrison was ever an elite S.

He was arguablly the best safety in the league when he played for the Chargers.

MetSox17
09-25-2008, 09:04 PM
He was arguablly the dirtiest safety in the league when he played for the everyone.

Fixed it for you.

MetSox17
09-25-2008, 09:06 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Dawkins

Though NFL.com is probably more accurate haha. Darren Woodson should get in, but judging him of championships when he was on a loaded team his entire career and comparing it to Dawkins who was on a **** team for the majority of his career is apples and oranges.

But, it says there 842 as well. That's where i checked initially as well, then i followed the link to NFL.com.

I know it shouldn't factor much into the voting, but you know the rings give you that extra 'umph'. Just like your life outside of the playing field isn't considered. :rolleyes:

M.O.T.H.
09-25-2008, 09:08 PM
"When he played for the everyone."

lol.

But yeah, I dont care how dirty or disliked the guy was, he was still a hell of a player and a hall of famer in my eyes. Just like some wouldnt want T.O. to get in because, he's a prima donna, that is just a joke.

Sniper
But, it says there 842 as well. That's where i checked initially as well, then i followed the link to NFL.com.

I know it shouldn't factor much into the voting, but you know the rings give you that extra 'umph'. Just like your life outside of the playing field isn't considered. :rolleyes:

Weird. Check at the bottom. It has him down for 755/397/1152

Sniper

lol.

But yeah, I dont care how dirty or disliked the guy was, he was still a hell of a player and a hall of famer in my eyes. Just like some wouldnt want T.O. to get in because, he's a primadona, that is just a joke.

Terrell Owens will be a Hall of Famer no matter what anyone says.

M.O.T.H.
09-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Terrell Owens will be a Hall of Famer no matter what anyone says.

For sure but, there are some out there that would refuse to vote him in, which is just asinine.

MetSox17
09-25-2008, 09:11 PM

lol.

But yeah, I dont care how dirty or disliked the guy was, he was still a hell of a player and a hall of famer in my eyes. Just like some wouldnt want T.O. to get in because, he's a prima donna, that is just a joke.

Lol i know, i left it like that for comedic purposes.

Yeah, i don't think the dirty play will take much affect on Harrison. He was a great player in San Diego, and if he were being voted in by his peers, it might be different.

MetSox17
09-25-2008, 09:12 PM
For sure but, there are some out there that would refuse to vote him in, which is just asinine.

And those are the people that eventually get their votes taken away. At least that's how i'd do it.

D-Unit
09-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Hmmm... I think he's a great player, but there have been so many HOF snobs that it would make a hard case for him to get in. Maybe after 3-5 times getting passed up, he might make it.

Winning a SB will go a long ways towards him getting in though. Same with McNabb. Both are a no, right now imo.

Sniper
09-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Winning a SB for a FS has way less weight than it does on a QB, though.

M.O.T.H.
09-25-2008, 09:20 PM
The better question is whether Warner is going to get in. If he stays healthy and a starter...he'll be looking at 30,000, 200 Tds, one of the highest career completion percentages and passer ratings ever, and of course he does have two MVP awards and a ring. He certainly still has a shot at it, imo.

Sniper
09-25-2008, 09:21 PM
The better question is whether Warner is going to get in. If he stays healthy and a starter...he'll be looking at 30,000, 200 Tds, one of the highest completion percentages and passer ratings, and of course he does have two MVP awards and a ring.

Hey, start your own thread then. Don't pollute Dawk's thread!

M.O.T.H.
09-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Hey, start your own thread then. Don't pollute Dawk's thread!

We dont need a bunch of hall of fame threads so, I just put it in here. geez.

bearsfan_51
09-25-2008, 09:23 PM
I don't think John Lynch or Rodney Harrison makes it, and I'm not sure Dawkins has had a better career than either.

I say no, mostly because I think Dawkins will be a rather forgetable player once he retires.

What could happen, and after does for safties, is that he'll get in 20 years later in a down year for eligibility.

GB12
09-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Winning a SB will go a long ways towards him getting in though. Same with McNabb. Both are a no, right now imo.
Super Bowl wins are huge for QBs, but really not that important for every other postition when it comes to the hall of fame.

Sniper
We dont need a bunch of hall of fame threads so, I just put it in here. geez.

I was kidding, relax.

MetSox17
The better question is whether Warner is going to get in. If he stays healthy and a starter...he'll be looking at 30,000, 200 Tds, one of the highest career completion percentages and passer ratings ever, and of course he does have two MVP awards and a ring. He certainly still has a shot at it, imo.

Yay, let's sabotage an Sniper's thread!

I'd definitely put Warner in after passing him up a few times. He has been pretty good for more than a few years in his career, and was hands down the best twice, more than a lot of guys can say. Like you said, he has a ring also, so i don't think it's as on-the-line as it might seem.

bored of education
09-25-2008, 09:37 PM
To be in the HoF from the S position you must be elite at your position for a long period of time. I love Dawkins, but I wouldn't say he has played the position at an elite status for his entire career or at least 8-10 years. he has some nice stats, and he is a gamer. I don't think he has done enough though.

D-Unit
09-25-2008, 09:41 PM
If he has 7 Pro Bowls, I say yes. How many does he have so far?

MetSox17
09-25-2008, 09:42 PM

I'll take three or four All-Pro's over any number of Pro Bowls. Don't know if you're being facetious though. :confused:

Sniper
09-25-2008, 09:43 PM

6x Pro Bowl, 5x All-Pro.

bored of education
09-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Once Steve Atwater gets in then I'll say yes. lol

J-Shock
09-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Sorry to be off topic but it's sad when Ricky Jackson isn't in the HOF when he has numbers just as good as LT.

/rantoff

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-25-2008, 10:56 PM
I say yes.Dawkins is everything you want in a safety.

CC.SD
09-26-2008, 12:17 AM

I got shot down the other day for suggesting Warner still has a shot at Canton.

Uh...Dawkins too. Rodney...maybe. He was elite for the Chargers, but not death defyingly great.

kwilk103
09-26-2008, 01:01 AM
darren woodson?

bob hayes?

erik williams?

dawkins is not a 1st ballot; hes a borderline guy, and will have to wait several years before he gets close if he were to get in

yourfavestoner
09-26-2008, 02:25 AM
Hmmm... I think he's a great player, but there have been so many HOF snobs that it would make a hard case for him to get in. Maybe after 3-5 times getting passed up, he might make it.

Yup. That's just how HOF voting goes. There are only so many spots, and usually championships is the way voters separate the very good from the great, unless one's talent is so immense that it goes far beyond wins and losses (like Barry Sanders).

He deserves it more than John Lynch, though. But that's just mo.

eaglesalltheway
09-26-2008, 07:13 AM
Obviously I am biased, but I think he gets in. I'm not going to go crazy and say he's a first Ballot guy, he isn't, but he will get in within 10 or so years of his first year of eligibility, maybe 5 if he wins a Superbowl before he makes his exit.

PACKmanN
09-26-2008, 09:25 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2999994

That alone will question his career.

J-Shock
09-26-2008, 09:37 AM
No to McNabb? He's arguably the best Afro American QB to ever play the game. I mean if he stays healthy he gets in.

cdub11
09-26-2008, 09:55 AM
i have a lot of respect for dawkins and think he has been a really good player but if i had to pick right now id have to lean towards no on the HOF

Dam8610
09-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Super Bowl wins are huge for QBs, but really not that important for every other postition when it comes to the hall of fame.

...which makes absolutely zero sense. Put Terry Bradshaw on the Cardinals and Joe Namath on any team other than the Jets in 1968, and neither even sniffs Canton, which is why it's ******** that both are in.

holt_bruce81
09-26-2008, 02:03 PM
He is no doubt a hall of famer......one of the best Safeties ever to play the game.

P-L
09-26-2008, 02:14 PM
No, I don't think he's a hall of famer. He's been a great player, but the hall of fame is losing credibility as is. No reason to take some just because they were "very good" for a long time.

CC.SD
09-26-2008, 03:04 PM
...which makes absolutely zero sense. Put Terry Bradshaw on the Cardinals and Joe Namath on any team other than the Jets in 1968, and neither even sniffs Canton, which is why it's ******** that both are in.

I'll admit that Namath is arguable (I personally think he belongs), but at the end of the day Terry QBd 4 Championship Teams, I seriously disagree with your assessment that there's BS anywhere near his admission to Canton.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Personally, if I'm voting, he's closer for me than either Harrison or Lynch. That said, he's straddling the line awfully close. Certainly not a first ballot, or even a fifth ballot, but he may get in one day.

FlyingElvis
09-26-2008, 04:08 PM
My gut answer when I saw the title was yes.

Now I'm off to read the thread and see if that changes, since I honestly have no idea how his numbers compare.

* edit - read it. Still say he gets in, but I agree he won't be first ballot. Safety (free or strong) is not a sexy enough position to be first ballot unless the guy is the GOAT.

Dawkins could go 3 more seasons and have some numbers that make it impossible to keep him out.

CC.SD
09-26-2008, 04:48 PM
A big deal for this thread is the fact that Dawkins is in all probablility changing teams after this year; hopefully he lands in a productive spot, I'd like to see him get into the Hall. They'd play the suplex constantly leading up the ceremony.

Go_Eagles77
09-26-2008, 04:54 PM
I would love for Dawk to get in the HOF. He is not only a beast of a player but it would be hard to find someone who deserves it more as a person.

MetSox17
09-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Too bad it doesn't work that way.

Dam8610
09-26-2008, 07:24 PM
I'll admit that Namath is arguable (I personally think he belongs)

Arguable? The man threw more INTs than TDs in his career. By that criterion, Ryan Leaf has to be HOF eligible by now.

but at the end of the day Terry QBd 4 Championship Teams, I seriously disagree with your assessment that there's BS anywhere near his admission to Canton.

If by "quarterbacked" you mean "was carried by his defense to", then yes, Terry Bradshaw did "quarterback" 4 championship teams that had the Steel Curtain defense to work with.

leroyisgod
09-26-2008, 07:43 PM
This one is a slightly difficult one. He has solid stats, but nothing over the top. And his play in the last few years has diminished his reputation slightly. I say if he does go, it'll be several ballots into it.

Saints-Tigers
09-26-2008, 08:46 PM
I think his stats are great, but he is a guy that brings far more to a defense, and to his teammates than his stats indicate.

I'd put him in personally.

BamaFalcon59
09-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Wowzers I did not realise Ed Reed is already 30. I thought he was like 27.

Anyone think he gets in?

Go_Eagles77
09-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Too bad it doesn't work that way.

I knew someone was gonna say this when I posted it, obviously I know it doesn't work that way, it's my opinion.

jth1331
09-27-2008, 02:25 AM
Steve freakin Atwater should be getting more votes for being in the HoF, best safety in the 90's.

GermanSaint
09-27-2008, 05:02 PM
definitely

MetSox17
09-27-2008, 05:04 PM
I knew someone was gonna say this when I posted it, obviously I know it doesn't work that way, it's my opinion.

So if you "obviously know it doesn't work that way", it wouldn't make sense to be hoping he gets in because of that, correct? :rolleyes:

Go_Eagles77
09-27-2008, 05:56 PM
So if you "obviously know it doesn't work that way", it wouldn't make sense to be hoping he gets in because of that, correct? :rolleyes:

Are you serious dude? I never even said I hope/think he can get in because of that, I know it's all about how good the player is, and I think he's good enough to get in as one of the best safetys of all time, I was just adding that he's a great guy off the field so he'd deserve it too, unlike some other people who are terrible role models but still get in.

Bengalsrocket
09-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Are you serious dude? I never even said I hope/think he can get in because of that, I know it's all about how good the player is, and I think he's good enough to get in as one of the best safetys of all time, I was just adding that he's a great guy off the field so he'd deserve it too, unlike some other people who are terrible role models but still get in.

I disagree on your opinion that off the field actions should be considered when deciding who gets into the HoF. A player's actions off the field can shape who he is on the field - This is includes guys with bad attitudes.

I'm not saying guys like Steve Smith should be rewarded for punching other people. I'm just saying that's part of his play style; he's an extremely passionate player who doesn't take crap from other people. And Chad Johnson is a more flamboyant attention ***** than most players, but again that's just what fuels him to get on the field and make big plays.

I'm not saying that these are good characteristics of players I want on my team, but I am saying that they wouldn't be the same players without them and to deny those players the HoF simply because of the very thing that makes them who they are would be a shame.

Go_Eagles77
09-27-2008, 06:57 PM
I disagree on your opinion that off the field actions should be considered when deciding who gets into the HoF.

Again I never said that, I can see why you guys think I did but I didn't. What I'm basically saying is I would feel better for someone like Brian Dawkins getting into the hall then someone who is a terrible role model. But it's truly about how good the player is and I understand that.

kalbears13
09-27-2008, 09:01 PM
you can still create a poll. go to thread tools.