PDA

View Full Version : The Value of a Defensive Tackle

iBoldin
09-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Where do you guys rank it this year? I think this is a very deep year, and including juniors, do you take one in the first round (Peria Jerry as a late 1st round senior let's say) or do you hold off and fill holes at other places, and wait to pick up a Vance Walker or Evander Hood either late 1st day, or early 2nd? How much of a premium is going to be put on the DT position?

Cribbs>Hester
09-26-2008, 10:39 AM
First rounders just aren't there so I wouldn't touch on in the first. Tyson Jackson would make the best NFL defensive tackle and he's playing DE in college right now, but then again I don't think the class is very deep either, so it might push guys like Walker, Hood and Richard higher than they would normally would go. Vince Oghobaase is the best draft eligible DT im my opinion, but I don't think he comes out this year. Another guy getting a lot of hype is Terrence Cody, but this is his first year starting for bama, and I only watched one game, but I think he has a lot to work on before he comes out too.

Saints-Tigers
09-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Terrence Cody is filthy, I really like him.

I think DT is about the weakest link in this draft probably though.

CashmoneyDrew
09-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Ricky Jean-Francois might be the best but he's only a junior so we'll have to wait and see if he comes out.

Geo
09-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Not sure about the heralded kid from Duke or a transitional pick like Tyson Jackson, but Sen'Derrick Marks of Auburn is first round value imo. Peria Jerry is borderline, maybe Terrance Taylor too depending on who is drafting in that range and how his season goes.

Afterwards, there is a great deal of depth as noted.

Bengals78
09-26-2008, 12:04 PM
A lot of DT talent went out with Jeff Owens.
I think there is some young talent coming through in the next year or 2 though.

keylime_5
09-26-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm not sold on these guys like I was Ellis and Dorsey. I am sold on Marks though. JeanFrancois I heard wasn't playing as well without Dorsey. Moala is good, but I like him more as a late first or early second rounder right now, he was vastly overrated during the summer.

Cribbs>Hester
09-26-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm not sold on these guys like I was Ellis and Dorsey. I am sold on Marks though. JeanFrancois I heard wasn't playing as well without Dorsey. Moala is good, but I like him more as a late first or early second rounder right now, he was vastly overrated during the summer.

I've noticed that as well. Funny thing is that Tyson Jackson is playing much better without Dorsey. Maybe it's just the schemes I guess. LSU wanted to funnel the plays to Dorsey more because they knew he was the best defender and maybe not they're trying harder to get Jackson involved because IMO he is now their best defender. Maybe...just a thought. I don't really know.

PACKmanN
09-26-2008, 12:29 PM
If Sen'Derrick Marks would come out, where would you guys rank him? IMO, A team like TB can take a look at him.

PossumBoy9
09-26-2008, 05:51 PM
If Sen'Derrick Marks would come out, where would you guys rank him? IMO, A team like TB can take a look at him.

He actually looks like one of the best overall defensive players to me right now.

My #1 DT.

I'm ready to see more of Cody.

I haven't seen Oghobaase(sp?). Don't catch much Duke football.

illmatic74
09-26-2008, 06:02 PM
He actually looks like one of the best overall defensive players to me right now.

My #1 DT.

I'm ready to see more of Cody.

I haven't seen Oghobaase(sp?). Don't catch much Duke football. No one catches Duke football. (no offense to anyone who goes to Duke amzing school with with great basketball and lacrosse programs but offense to anyone who watches Duke football)

STARHEATHER
09-26-2008, 06:27 PM
terrence cody is the real deal holyfield. in the nfl, if you cant run, you cant win. thats how vauable they are. cody may be the best player in the entire draft. hell be on display tomorrow against a sieve ol for georgia. look for bama to put it to georgia. cody will be leading the way.we saw mark sanchez, maaluga and the rest exposed as frauds. can it happen twice in one week with stafford and moreno? i like terrence cody in that matchup. a lot. the freak of the week vs the myths.

illmatic74
09-26-2008, 06:50 PM
terrence cody is the real deal holyfield. in the nfl, if you cant run, you cant win. thats how vauable they are. cody may be the best player in the entire draft. hell be on display tomorrow against a sieve ol for georgia. look for bama to put it to georgia. cody will be leading the way.we saw mark sanchez, maaluga and the rest exposed as frauds. can it happen twice in one week with stafford and moreno? i like terrence cody in that matchup. a lot. the freak of the week vs the myths.
Would happen to be Cody's agent because that is illegal by NCCA sanctions.

STARHEATHER
09-26-2008, 07:13 PM
i wish. cause dude is going to make millions for a long time and id take 20% or whatever they get. alas. no dice

Saints-Tigers
09-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Cody is a monster, I would think with a guy with his size and athletic ability, all we should be questioning is whether he will bring it every play, and keep his weight in check. Considering the way he moves at his weight, and how he seems to have a good motor for his size, he should be a high draft pick. His technique is even pretty good for his age, he's a true game changer.

BigBanger
09-27-2008, 12:27 AM
JeanFrancois I heard wasn't playing as well without Dorsey.
He's been constantly doubled teamed (Not an LSU fan, but from I've seen). It seems like every team tries to take him out of the game. Tyson Jackson has never impressed me. The only time I have ever seen the guy record, or even pressure the QB, for a sack is due to one of three things:

1. Coverage sack, where it takes him 8 seconds to get to the QB.
2. Unblocked, where he comes off the line and runs into the QB- mostly after said QB gets rid of the ball.
3. An inferior OT across from him where he can simply overpower the guy.

Jackson is a 34 DE. He's good at stopping the run, but other than that, the guy isn't much of a physical specimen as he's made out to be.

Marks is incredibly quick off the snap, and fits very well in the first round for an UT in a Tampa 2 defense. I like Marks a lot (Had him in my post season top 10, as well a Michael Johnson), but I wouldn't touch the guy in the top 20 right now, but I think he'll get a lot of hype. He's a really good player, but I don't think he'll ever be dominate in any aspect of the game.

Saints-Tigers
09-27-2008, 12:58 AM
I think Tyson would make a really good DE in either scheme. Not an explosive pass rusher, but he can definitely push the pocket, he's great in the run game, and he's really heady, blowing up screens and such, and he's really versatile....

Reminds me a lot of Adam Carriker, or Richard Seymour, or sometimes even Charles Grant(cept big Charles is really fast).