PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Mays Is Sooo Overrated

DreadedDatSkinsFan
09-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Man I want to like this dude so much man...Every time I watch USC play....I make sure I see spot that #2 on the field and watch everything he does man...Other than the grown man body...and the workout numbers that USC put out that we ASSUME are true...This dude does NOT impress me....And trust me Im not hatin on this dude man...Safety is my favorite position...and if u are a beast...Ill be the 1st to put u on a pedestal...but this guy does NOT deserve it...

For one he isnt a playmaker...running a 4.25 with at that size...I should see this dude forcing fumbles all over the place...He is hitting WRs that are 190..he is 235...Lay some wood...and w/ that closing speed playin in the bum a$$ Pac-10...he should have had at least 5 pics last year...

Secondly this dude is NOT physical...Again....235 man....235....235.Why is it that he is not in on every damn play...He should be lookin for contact man...that dude is scared of contact if u ask me...Check out Nic Harris and William Moore play man...Thats what a physical safety is about...not Mays...

I can name 5 safeties Id take over Mays....again...I want to like this dude...All it takes is for me to see one play and Ill take this whole post back....Until then...Mays gets 2 thumbs down....

Oh and the Sean Taylor comparisons....BLASPHEMY...

eaglesalltheway
09-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Just a warning, though you are right, you are going to get ripped to shreds for some of the comments in this post like "If I see one play, I take this post back" Just saying man, prepare for a lot of unhappy relpies, though you basic idea is correct.

Babylon
09-26-2008, 03:46 PM
First off don't believe the 4.25 40 time, i think that will be changed upward quite a bit at the combine, whenever he does come out. I also think he is too bulked up to play safety. I actually would like to see him put in situations where he has a chance to make an impact. Against the Beavers he should have been put in the box on numerous occasions to try and force Oregon St to either put the ball in the air or try and work the perimiter. Granted it is difficult to change a scheme in the middle of a game but that would be one way to see what he can do, lining up 20 yards from the line of scrimmage doesnt give him much of a chance to be an impact player. I also would like to see him stay another year. I think he is overrated if he is a top 15 pick but probably good value after that.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
09-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Just a warning, though you are right, you are going to get ripped to shreds for some of the comments in this post like "If I see one play, I take this post back" Just saying man, prepare for a lot of unhappy relpies, though you basic idea is correct.
LOL...I can take it...Like I said...I want to like this dude man...I give him so many opportunities to wow me just once...Im still waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HoopsDemon12
09-26-2008, 03:55 PM
I argree heisvastly overrated, buteveryone is looking forthe next SeanTaylor super prospect. Itslike everyone wants anotehr Vernon Davis freak at tight end. Or a Bo Jackson clone at runningback. They are freaks because they don't come around often.

As for Mays i believe him and Myron Rolle are compltely overrated.

regoob2
09-26-2008, 04:07 PM
I dont think anyone compares his play with Sean Taylor just his size to speed ratio. Mays is good in coverage but doesnt blow guys up the way youd expect. He does have great talent and will be a high draft pick based on his potential.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
09-26-2008, 04:14 PM
I argree heisvastly overrated, buteveryone is looking forthe next SeanTaylor super prospect. Itslike everyone wants anotehr Vernon Davis freak at tight end. Or a Bo Jackson clone at runningback. They are freaks because they don't come around often.

As for Mays i believe him and Myron Rolle are compltely overrated.

I dont even wanna talk about Myron Rolle man...Maybe he would have been a better RB...Too many mishaps in coverage...He has an excuse though....w/ Rhodes aspirations and all...Ill probably take him over Mays though...Well maybe not...

Saints-Tigers
09-26-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, I want to love him, he just isn't fierce like top safeties are.

Would Taylor Mays have the balls to light up Brian "God" Moorman? I think not.

Would he sack a QB and stand over his corpse like LaRon Landry likes to do?

He might be physically talented, he's just not nasty enough.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
09-26-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, I want to love him, he just isn't fierce like top safeties are.

Would Taylor Mays have the balls to light up Brian "God" Moorman? I think not.

Would he sack a QB and stand over his corpse like LaRon Landry likes to do?

He might be physically talented, he's just not nasty enough.

Exactly!!!

CaliPanthers420
09-26-2008, 04:41 PM
There was one play last night early in the game where Mays should have had an interception (or at least Sean Taylor would have), that told me right there that this guy is not the playmaker Sean Taylor was or the prospect.

His body is freakish though, but as some of you have said, he might be too big to play safety now.

Overall, he really hasnt impressed me either except for his physical stature and his so called 40 times.

illmatic74
09-26-2008, 06:14 PM
He is not a Taylor, Landry or Roy Williams early in his career but he is still a very good player. He is the best safety in the draft and would have been the best last year.

STARHEATHER
09-26-2008, 06:21 PM
sure looks the part. cant play a lick. every game is a plethora of missed tackles, but even worse, hes one of the more invisible players. he never makes any plays.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-26-2008, 06:25 PM
He is not a Taylor, Landry or Roy Williams early in his career but he is still a very good player. He is the best safety in the draft and would have been the best last year.
William Moore is far superior to Mays.

Saints-Tigers
09-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Taylor Mays definitely has the tools, but yea, I like William Moore a lot better, he's nasty, he's very very instinctive, and it's not like he doesn't have great physical tools as well.

STARHEATHER
09-26-2008, 07:11 PM
moore has to stop getting hurt. mays needs to start making some plays.

holt_bruce81
09-26-2008, 08:30 PM
moore has to stop getting hurt. mays needs to start making some plays.

Moore has missed one game in his college career (last week) big deal.

And yes, the thread starter is right. Taylor Mays is overrated.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
09-26-2008, 08:54 PM
I think this safety class is pretty awful to be honest. Mays & Rolle are all pretty much hype driven right now. I think taking any safety in this draft before 20 is a horrendous pick. I would draft Jenkins to play safety over any of the safeties in this draft.

& If William Moore is the #1 safety in this draft - ouch. What exactly does William Moore do well? He is not some intimidating hitter. Watch the Illinois game in week one for proof of that.

There was 1 play in particular - Arrelious Benn caught a slant over the middle and the ball was somewhat floated - Moore had a clear kill shot on Benn & Benn just drops his shoulder and Moore flies off him like he was some 150 lb high schooler.

Moore is a solid prospect, but I question whether he is even a first rounder. Stiff in coverage, not an intimidating hitter, just very underwhelming like the other two more hyped guys in this draft.

BamaFalcon59
09-26-2008, 09:19 PM
If Kam Chancellor would go back to his old form then he would be my top safety. Nasty, amazing physical speciman, and in my opinion the most athletic/fluid safety in the draft. The guy played QB out of highschool. Then CB without redshirting. Then SS where he became a star. Now he's at FS. Had a bad first week, since then has been alright, but I'm just waiting for his breakout game this year. But man can he hit, and he is an athlete.

Oh, and if you look up the Kam Chancellor thread you can see some quotes about him from his coach. Great leader, extremely hard worker. The coaches just brag on him like crazy, and our coaches don't praise a player often.

D-Unit
09-26-2008, 09:28 PM
I love this thread! More people think this!!!! Please!!!!!!

Let it be more than a day dream to have him in Dallas!

SenorGato
09-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Agreed with the premise of the thread...Mays has been and is overrated.

Maybe I'm wrong now sure...we're months away from the draft...but I just haven't been blown away by him.

thebow305
09-26-2008, 11:29 PM
If Kam Chancellor would go back to his old form then he would be my top safety. Nasty, amazing physical speciman, and in my opinion the most athletic/fluid safety in the draft. The guy played QB out of highschool. Then CB without redshirting. Then SS where he became a star. Now he's at FS. Had a bad first week, since then has been alright, but I'm just waiting for his breakout game this year. But man can he hit, and he is an athlete.

Oh, and if you look up the Kam Chancellor thread you can see some quotes about him from his coach. Great leader, extremely hard worker. The coaches just brag on him like crazy, and our coaches don't praise a player often.

I will agree with him. Chancellor is a very good player, I'd put him right up there with Mays and Moore.

You want to talk about Overrated, then talk about Myron Rolle. Maybe it's just my Miami bias speaking here, but this guy doesn't impress me at all when I watch the Noles play.

Saints-Tigers
09-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Everyone thinks Myron Rolle sucks and shouldn't be drafted, how is he overrated?

giantsfan
09-26-2008, 11:38 PM

Philips > Moore > Mays

BigBanger
09-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Moore is a solid prospect, but I question whether he is even a first rounder. Stiff in coverage, not an intimidating hitter, just very underwhelming like the other two more hyped guys in this draft.
Moore does lay dudes out, but I think he had over 10 tackles in that game (Don't quote me on it), but I only see a few plays from here and there. He got killed in man coverage for a TD. As much as Taylor Mays isn't Sean Taylor, the guy does not get beat deep. I think he is a great FS. You never see USC give up a big passing play. Mays needs to work on his ball skills. He would have at least 1 INT this year, and about 5 last year. Ball skills can be corrected. Mays, right now, has poor ball skills.

The best safety in this draft, without a doubt, at this point, is the guy playing out of position in Virginia Tech. Kam Chancellor is a top 10 caliber player. He is the most physical safety I may have ever seen. He is a great SS prospect, but as a FS, I think he'll be too big. I like those rangy guys, like a Reggie Nelson, and Chancellor doesn't quite have the range I want out of a FS, but as a SS he's great up in the box and blanket TEs.

Macho Harris would also make a good FS. I don't think he'll tackle that much, but there may only be one player in this draft that has better ball skills and playmaking ability than Harris, and thats Malcolm Jenkins- who is a GREAT FS prospect in his own right. I think Jenkins could push the top 5 as a FS before he does a CB. If my biggest need is at FS / CB for a Cover 2 / Tampa 2 defense, then Malcolm Jenkins is the highest player on my board.

Clayton89
09-27-2008, 12:28 AM
haha i remember after his freshmen year all the usc homers started a thread saying how he was gonna be so much better than sean taylor.... silly gooses

lol gotta love it http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7737

BigBanger
09-27-2008, 12:30 AM
haha i remember after his freshmen year all the usc homers started a thread saying how he was gonna be so much better than sean taylor.... silly gooses
The plural of goose, is geese.

The plural of fish, is fish.

The plural of deer, is deer.

The plural of duck, is ducks.

Clayton89
09-27-2008, 12:33 AM
i know but silly geese doesnt really sound that good

Saints-Tigers
09-27-2008, 12:48 AM
If he really is 6'4, 235 and running 4.3's he SHOULD be better than Sean Taylor.

Personally, I think he's closer to 225 and 4.5's though, which is still great....

Clayton89
09-27-2008, 12:50 AM
what makes you say that? chris henry has better physical tools than half the starting runningbacks in the nfl yet hes still a third stringer. Some guys just dont have the mindset or field awareness to be good football players. oh and last time i checked sean taylor was as gifted as any athlete ive seen in the draft and his numbers are confirmed unlike mays

Saints-Tigers
09-27-2008, 01:06 AM
Because if those are Mays' combine numbers, he would just be a near complete package... bigger and faster than Taylor...

It's all moot though, because you can't teach nastiness, and Taylor was a bad bad man, and played every snap at full speed, that's why Mays will never touch him as a prospect.

Clayton89
09-27-2008, 01:09 AM
i understand ur reasoning but with the exception of one hit mays put on craig stevens he has shown nothing to warrant the hype. and ya i miss watching sean taylor play soo much. his junior year at miami he was nothing short of dominant.

Solomon
09-27-2008, 03:42 AM
what makes you say that? chris henry has better physical tools than half the starting runningbacks in the nfl yet hes still a third stringer. Some guys just dont have the mindset or field awareness to be good football players. oh and last time i checked sean taylor was as gifted as any athlete ive seen in the draft and his numbers are confirmed unlike mays

QFT! Josh Barrett anyone? 6-2, 223 lbs, 4.34 40, 7th rounder...

D-Unit
09-27-2008, 04:12 AM
Why does this thread exist now? Because USC lost? Does anyone blame Mays for the loss? Does anyone think he played poorly? If so, please explain.

BigBanger
09-27-2008, 05:16 AM
Why does this thread exist now? Because USC lost? Does anyone blame Mays for the loss? Does anyone think he played poorly? If so, please explain.
The game had nothing to do with the thread other than another game going by where Taylor Mays goes, virtually, unnoticed. People get disappointed.

No, they didn't lose because of Mays, they lost because Rey couldn't get off a block and make a tackle for less than a 4 yard gain. He made 9 tackles 6 yards or more down field. Those are big gainers. Mays played quite well. He missed one tackle in the open field on the RB, but other than that the safeties played great, especially Kevin Ellison who was a monster. The front 7 was pushed around all night long, and the secondary wasn't rally challenged since Rey couldn't stop the Rogers boys.

Geomar
09-27-2008, 08:08 AM
He is the best safety in the draft and would have been the best last year.

Kenny Phillips has something to say about that.

Mays is just a freak athlete but with no football skills.

D-Unit
09-27-2008, 12:25 PM
So where's his draft value? Somewhere between picks 25-35?

Saints-Tigers
09-27-2008, 02:04 PM
If I need a safety, I'd probably take him after William Moore, I really like Moore though, not really a knock on Mays.

D-Unit
09-27-2008, 02:48 PM
If I need a safety, I'd probably take him after William Moore, I really like Moore though, not really a knock on Mays.
That's the general consensus though.

Jericho@SC
09-27-2008, 04:06 PM
What people don't understand is that Taylor Mays isn't meant to play like a Sean Taylor. Only the physical attributes are similar.

Sean Taylor was a ballhawk who could ALSO come into the box and stop the run. Lay runningbacks and receivers out with nasty hits.

Taylor Mays is a safety blanket in the secondary. That's really all he's asked to do by Pete Carroll, and he does it well.

He's fast, and he has great ball skills. Great vertical. He'll go up and defend the long ball. He doesn't wrap up particularly well, and he's not an aggressive tackler. So you don't blitz him like you would a Troy Polamalu or Sean Taylor.

He's a deep cover 2 safety guys. That's it. That may not impress you, but he's still a valuable asset in that sense. USC I believe has given up the fewest big plays in the pass (20 yards or more) than any other team these last few years. Part of that is because Taylor Mays is almost always asked to just play deep and prevent the deep ball. He's pretty good at it.

So if you're looking for a dynamic game changer in the Sean Taylor mode, look elsewhere but you're not gonna find it anywhere in this draft class. If you're looking for someone who might be able to match up well and defend well against the likes of Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Plaxico Burress going deep, then Taylor Mays might be just what you're looking for.

Babylon
09-27-2008, 04:34 PM
What people don't understand is that Taylor Mays isn't meant to play like a Sean Taylor. Only the physical attributes are similar.

Sean Taylor was a ballhawk who could ALSO come into the box and stop the run. Lay runningbacks and receivers out with nasty hits.

Taylor Mays is a safety blanket in the secondary. That's really all he's asked to do by Pete Carroll, and he does it well.

He's fast, and he has great ball skills. Great vertical. He'll go up and defend the long ball. He doesn't wrap up particularly well, and he's not an aggressive tackler. So you don't blitz him like you would a Troy Polamalu or Sean Taylor.

He's a deep cover 2 safety guys. That's it. That may not impress you, but he's still a valuable asset in that sense. USC I believe has given up the fewest big plays in the pass (20 yards or more) than any other team these last few years. Part of that is because Taylor Mays is almost always asked to just play deep and prevent the deep ball. He's pretty good at it.

So if you're looking for a dynamic game changer in the Sean Taylor mode, look elsewhere but you're not gonna find it anywhere in this draft class. If you're looking for someone who might be able to match up well and defend well against the likes of Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Plaxico Burress going deep, then Taylor Mays might be just what you're looking for.

Nice post. Would like to see him slim down a tad.

Number 10
09-27-2008, 04:49 PM
I love this thread! More people think this!!!! Please!!!!!!

Let it be more than a day dream to have him in Dallas!

You really wanna go through Roy Williams again?

Aftermath
09-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Who cares about Taylor Mays. Patrick Chung is the best safety in the draft.

Jericho@SC
09-27-2008, 06:09 PM
You really wanna go through Roy Williams again?

Roy Williams is the opposite of Taylor Mays. Horrible in coverage, great at run stopping and blitzing.

Taylor Mays is a cover 2 safety. He's got great range covering the field, and can get up and challenge for jump balls.

USC has never asked him to make plays in the box or behind the line of scrimmage. It remains to be seen whether he can, but I think his tackling needs to be improved if he hopes to double as a 4th linebacker.

Why are people bashing him so much? He's a true coverage safety, and that's pretty much it. Not a multifaceted Ed Reed/Brian Dawkins/Sean Taylor type but hey, those guys are hard to find.

I'd rather have a safety that can only play the pass really well than a safety that can blitz/play the run well but gets burned deep a lot.

keylime_5
09-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Moore is kinda overated too, but he can lay the wood. I think Mays has more potential and it's not like he's not doing anything - he was all american last year wasn't he, third team albeit.

etk
09-27-2008, 07:23 PM
From a physical standpoint you can see why Mays is so hyped up....he's an unbelievable athlete.

But you did point out his major weaknesses. He doesn't play with enough intensity at a position that requires it, and he plays softer than he should. The lack of intensity leads to a lack of big plays.

I think Mays is a better athlete than Taylor, but Taylor flew all over the field, clobbered people and forced a ton of fumbles. I still think Mays is a great safety prospect because of his athletic ability, but someone needs to light a fire up his butt or something to get him to show some passion.

If you wanna see a tough safety, watch South Carolina and look out for Emanuel Cook. I mean it's getting old already with me saying his name all the time, but it's time to recognize this man's play.

Jericho@SC
09-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Exactly. I think Taylor Mays has a chance to be a Sean Taylor type playmaker, but someone has to help him play with more of a meanstreak. They also have to let him loose from a strategic standpoint.

Pete Carroll is holding him back right now.

BamaFalcon59
09-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Kam Chancellor so needs to go back to strong safety/rover. Much better there than FS.

Clayton89
09-28-2008, 02:08 AM
unless he shows something more than he has i dont think he warrants a first round pick. however he is an elite athlete supposedly( i say that just because you never know till the combine) so somebody might fall in love with him. And i dont agree with the idea that pete carroll is holding him back because even playing a deep cover 2 safety u still get the oppurtunity to make plays in coverage and come down in the alley on run plays and lay some wood which with his athleticism should be quite often. I mean it is alot easier to dominate or at least flourish in the collegiate game relying on physical skills. If he cant do it at USC what makes you think he could do it in the nfl?

Bruce Banner
09-28-2008, 02:13 AM
What safety this year resembles Tanard Jackson? (The fourth round converted corner)

Jericho@SC
09-28-2008, 02:19 AM
unless he shows something more than he has i dont think he warrants a first round pick. however he is an elite athlete supposedly( i say that just because you never know till the combine) so somebody might fall in love with him. And i dont agree with the idea that pete carroll is holding him back because even playing a deep cover 2 safety u still get the oppurtunity to make plays in coverage and come down in the alley on run plays and lay some wood which with his athleticism should be quite often. I mean it is alot easier to dominate or at least flourish in the collegiate game relying on physical skills. If he cant do it at USC what makes you think he could do it in the nfl?

in the NFL Draft, Physical Talent + Decent Production = first round.

Come on. Just because he's not everywhere on the field doesn't mean he doesn't play well. He made the freshman all american team and was named in a few all american lists last year. Stats don't always tell the story.

Clayton89
09-28-2008, 02:29 AM
im not saying hes played bad but in my eyes first rounders need to be impact players and he simply isnt. freshmen all american lists dont mean anything to me and starting at usc alone will get you on some lists. by no means am i saying he can never be a good player in the nfl but with his tools and the way people hype him he should be more than that

Babylon
09-28-2008, 12:27 PM
in the NFL Draft, Physical Talent + Decent Production = first round.

Come on. Just because he's not everywhere on the field doesn't mean he doesn't play well. He made the freshman all american team and was named in a few all american lists last year. Stats don't always tell the story.

We're starting to rehash old ground here but i think you're right, he'll no doubt look freakish at the combine.In some cases it's better guys turn pro but i really think another year would help Taylor.

MarioPalmer
09-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Overrated NO! No body is calling him the next Sean Taylor, no body is considering him a top 10 or even 15 pick, so over rated by what means. How do come to that conclusion? Explain to me, because I would love to hear how you can call him over rated.

Next, your considering him as a safety at the next level. Why? Why wouldn't you consider him as a SLB? I know I would. If I was in control of the pro-personal for the Houston Texans I would glady work Taylor Mays out as a LB. Why wouldn't I? I don't see him as a worse pick than Lawrence Timmons, or Derrick Johnson, or even Chad Greenway. Taylor Mays to me, is exactly like Thomas Davis. I would tend to have to agree that Thomas Davis has become certainly a productive pro, and more than worthy of his top 15 selection. So why not Taylor in that respect?

I again, think you are looking at the prospect from a fan stand point and not from a personal stand point. What can this prospect bring to my team? Has to be the question that you have to ask yourself with every prospect that you come across. If you don't your only seeing what you want to see, or in this case, what you don't want to see.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Mays isn't even physical or agressive enough to play strong safety and you want to stick him at linebacker?

I don't think Mays is suddenly going to become a big hitter. As people have said in this thread, he's a mobile and big deep cover guy who doesn't let people get behind him often. No matter how good an athlete he is, a guy with that job probably isn't worth more than a later first round pick.

Joeyjr09
09-28-2008, 02:39 PM
I don't think Mays is overrated. I think he's rated just about where he should be. He is a freak of nature physical talent but he is not a game changer and that's basically the concensus in this thread. Watch any USC game and the guy they talk about isn't Mays, it's Ellison. They know who the game changer in the secondary is.

I think Mays will be a heck of a safety in the right scheme. I wouldn't ask him to do what Sean Taylor did because frankly, he's not as instinctive, mean or agresive as Taylor. Taylor could cover pretty well but he was at his best roaming and making plays. Taylor was the definition of a playmaker.

Mays on the other hand is not. I would love to have Mays on on the Dolphins if for some reason he slipped into early round 2 but he's more likely to go in the 20-30 range.

I think he'd fit great on a team like Miami where he would be perfect in a 3-4. He is plenty fast to cover any TE or RB coming out of the backfield and has great closing speed to play well in zone defense to break up passes to WRs. His size is just an added advantage if he learns how to use his body to get physical with guys and get more INTs. This frees up the LBs to pass rush and stuff the run. Put Mays next to an in the box thumper in a 3-4 I think he will be a heck of a safety because as was pointed out on here, he can be counted on to not give up the big play back there which makes the rest of teams life easier, especially the 3-4 LBs who now don't have to worry about TEs and RBs and can focus on pass rush and run stuffing. But expecting him to be a Sean Taylor type of playmaker is asking alot. That's just not what he's good at.

Clayton89
09-28-2008, 06:02 PM
the fact that hes made all american teams with no type of production to warrant it along with plenty of people sloting him in the top half of the first round would make him over rated. hes not even physically intimidating in the secondary and you think he can be a linebacker? like i said hes an athletic marvel but that alone doesnt make u a great or even good nfl player. i couldnt care less about usc so its not like im saying things just to hate its just that he isnt an impact player by any stretch of the imagination. that being said he can find himself a niche in the nfl and play well its just that hes not worth first round pick in my eyes.

Ozzy
09-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Great points, and I am in the camp saying he is not overrated. Honestly that game against Oregon State was one of the few I can remember where he was consistently around the ball. It seemed like in that game Mays should have moved up to LB, Pinkard move to his FS spot and Rey goes out of the game.

Athletically Mays is a freak, and the pathetic thing is (unlike Myron Rolle) Mays could easily be a NFL safety because he can cover the pass with his insane speed in the open field.

Where ever he ends up OLB or SS or FS he could be a star. Sure he is not that productive but he changes things with his range most cannot even see on television.

Kevin Ellison is the best safety on USC though as of right now. He is around the ball more but only because he is the SS and plays around the line of scrimmage. Mays is the deep fail safe guy, and that is another reason why he is not in as many plays.

Great prospect, not overrated what so ever!

D-Unit
09-28-2008, 11:01 PM
I think Taylor Mays is the next Ronnie Lott.

Saints-Tigers
09-28-2008, 11:10 PM
That is so disrespectful to Ronnie Lott it's not even funny.

thebow305
09-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Overrated or not, I'd love to have him in Miami!

If not for any other reason than the fact that he has to be at least better than Chris Crocker, Jason Allen, or Renaldo Hill.

Ozzy
09-28-2008, 11:15 PM
That is so disrespectful to Ronnie Lott it's not even funny.Most good big safeties get that comparison thrown their way, but yeah it is no where legit till it is all said and done. However Sean Taylor was the closest to Lott I have seen, may he rest in piece.

Is Mays like Taylor in college, no way Taylor made way more big hits and made way more big plays in pass coverage than Mays is. Taylor was such a joy to watch in college, such a wonderful talent.

MarioPalmer
09-29-2008, 12:07 AM
I find it funny that some people have this idea of what certain players should play like and shouldn’t. It's getting even funnier that some people here say things that so and so should be out of a game. I would assume you've never seen either of these top players play. I watched Mays, Muauluga, Cushing and Griffin the most of all USC players on defense these past 2 years and I can tell you that each of them will be impactful players in the NFL and be some of the best players at what ever position they play at.

Mays can absolutely play OLB. Derrick Johnson isn't any where near physical and he's a great OLB, Lawrence Timmons wasn't a physical LB at Florida St. and he was taken extremely high for his production and I would rather have Taylor Mays playing OLB then him any day.

If you want me to refute your arguments then say so, because I can go back to any game and any instance and explain to you what happened. Mays will be a very good pro; he has the athletic ability and the instincts to play in the NFL at a high level. He will have trouble against smaller, quicker receivers like Santana Moss, Steve Smith, DeSean Jackson, etc. But he is physical enough for the position, and he does have very good ball skills as well. He is a better safety for the Cover 2 scheme but he, to me, would be better served in a Cover 2 as an OLB. More then likely a SLB, like I said earlier, so that he can cover tight ends and running backs.

Also, I’d appreciate the personal comments of what I know and what I don’t know to be kept to yourselves. I haven’t made any attacks on you so for respect sake keep your attacks to yourself. But, I’m sure that’s the best you can do, make personal attacks to make up for your lack of knowledge and to some how make yourself look cool, but what ever, I guess E-Rep on a NFL forum is that important to the some of you. If you ask me, it doesn’t get much more pathetic than that.

MarioPalmer
09-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Most good big safeties get that comparison thrown their way, but yeah it is no where legit till it is all said and done. However Sean Taylor was the closest to Lott I have seen, may he rest in piece.

Is Mays like Taylor in college, no way Taylor made way more big hits and made way more big plays in pass coverage than Mays is. Taylor was such a joy to watch in college, such a wonderful talent.

And by the way, Sean Taylor was a joy to watch in any sense. I guess thats your subtle way of trying to insult his ability at the pro level. I guess he too wasn't a great player in the league as well. I would have to say to you that you might want to give up watching prospects and just stick to being a fan. It might keep you from putting your foot in your mouth like the above quote.

Clayton89
09-29-2008, 12:22 AM
I find it funny that some people have this idea of what certain players should play like and shouldnít. It's getting even funnier that some people here say things that so and so should be out of a game. I would assume you've never seen either of these top players play. I watched Mays, Muauluga, Cushing and Griffin the most of all USC players on defense these past 2 years and I can tell you that each of them will be impactful players in the NFL and be some of the best players at what ever position they play at.

Mays can absolutely play OLB. Derrick Johnson isn't any where near physical and he's a great OLB, Lawrence Timmons wasn't a physical LB at Florida St. and he was taken extremely high for his production and I would rather have Taylor Mays playing OLB then him any day.

If you want me to refute your arguments then say so, because I can go back to any game and any instance and explain to you what happened. Mays will be a very good pro; he has the athletic ability and the instincts to play in the NFL at a high level. He will have trouble against smaller, quicker receivers like Santana Moss, Steve Smith, DeSean Jackson, etc. But he is physical enough for the position, and he does have very good ball skills as well. He is a better safety for the Cover 2 scheme but he, to me, would be better served in a Cover 2 as an OLB. More then likely a SLB, like I said earlier, so that he can cover tight ends and running backs.

Also, Iíd appreciate the personal comments of what I know and what I donít know to be kept to yourselves. I havenít made any attacks on you so for respect sake keep your attacks to yourself. But, Iím sure thatís the best you can do, make personal attacks to make up for your lack of knowledge and to some how make yourself look cool, but what ever, I guess E-Rep on a NFL forum is that important to the some of you. If you ask me, it doesnít get much more pathetic than that.

derrick johnson also played linebacker his whole life and was a butkus winner in college so youre selling him short by even comparing him to mays a guy who they dont even bring down in the box very often yet you think he can play lb based on what? and im sorry that i expect a safety whos 6'3 230 playing centerfield safety to be laying people out how outlandish of me. nobody has even brought up those other players in this thread and what in the world has mays done to make people think he will shine in the nfl other than be gifted athletically. its funny you say not to look at prospects from a fan's standpoint yet you just admitted to being a usc fan.

Saints-Tigers
09-29-2008, 12:24 AM
Dude, he just said Sean Taylor was the closest thing to Ronnie Lott and you are jumping on his case about taking a shot at him?

Lighten up man, you are reading too deep, I think he just meant that Taylor stood out much more so than Mays in college.

Edit: To MarioPalmer

BigBanger
09-29-2008, 12:28 AM
I find it funny that some people have this idea of what certain players should play like and shouldnít. It's getting even funnier that some people here say things that so and so should be out of a game. I would assume you've never seen either of these top players play. I watched Mays, Muauluga, Cushing and Griffin the most of all USC players on defense these past 2 years and I can tell you that each of them will be impactful players in the NFL and be some of the best players at what ever position they play at.

Also, Iíd appreciate the personal comments of what I know and what I donít know to be kept to yourselves. I havenít made any attacks on you so for respect sake keep your attacks to yourself. But, Iím sure thatís the best you can do, make personal attacks to make up for your lack of knowledge and to some how make yourself look cool, but what ever, I guess E-Rep on a NFL forum is that important to the some of you. If you ask me, it doesnít get much more pathetic than that.
I think Taylor Mays is a beast, but you are an idiot. You can't even prove to anyone why he's so good at what he does. You don't even know what he does. You are a H-O-M-E-R. An idiot homer.

Ozzy
09-29-2008, 07:09 AM
MarioPalmer: And by the way, Sean Taylor was a joy to watch in any sense. I guess thats your subtle way of trying to insult his ability at the pro level. I guess he too wasn't a great player in the league as well. I would have to say to you that you might want to give up watching prospects and just stick to being a fan. It might keep you from putting your foot in your mouth like the above quote.Well your guess is dead wrong. It was my subtle way of saying I loved watching him in college, which is what this thread is about a players career as he is still in college, a player called Taylor Mays.

I never said he was horrible in the NFL, obviously he was a NFL star and pro bowler. Putting your foot in your mouth? Wow, honestly that is sad. How about this, you stick to being a fan, I will stick to watching prospects.

Hope you do not do that often, making up assumed things people did not say and just assuming they said them to argument purposes.

eaglesalltheway
09-29-2008, 07:44 AM
Ozzy, why don't you put the poster's name in your quotes? The only reason I ask is it seems like you never have it in there.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
09-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Overrated NO! No body is calling him the next Sean Taylor, no body is considering him a top 10 or even 15 pick, so over rated by what means. How do come to that conclusion? Explain to me, because I would love to hear how you can call him over rated.

Next, your considering him as a safety at the next level. Why? Why wouldn't you consider him as a SLB? I know I would. If I was in control of the pro-personal for the Houston Texans I would glady work Taylor Mays out as a LB. Why wouldn't I? I don't see him as a worse pick than Lawrence Timmons, or Derrick Johnson, or even Chad Greenway. Taylor Mays to me, is exactly like Thomas Davis. I would tend to have to agree that Thomas Davis has become certainly a productive pro, and more than worthy of his top 15 selection. So why not Taylor in that respect?

I again, think you are looking at the prospect from a fan stand point and not from a personal stand point. What can this prospect bring to my team? Has to be the question that you have to ask yourself with every prospect that you come across. If you don't your only seeing what you want to see, or in this case, what you don't want to see.

How is he overrated?? This post is a prime example man....Mays has not warranted any of this hype...By no means am I saying Taylor is a bum....But what I am saying...Is that he has been hype to this point...

In order to be an ELITE safety...It is a must that u are just downright nasty between those white lines...I mean an a$$hole...And that something that Mays is not...Now he may be intimidating in college due to his size...But do u think Anquan Boldin will fear that dude....Honestly....

OK USC hasnt given up any big passing plays...Thats great...But lets not downplay that front 7...Its not like Taylor Mays is out there batting balls down or erasing any WR that comes in his path....Like I said...I make sure I know where that big 2 is when USC is on defense...and Cover 2 or not...When u are that big and that fast (allegedly)...it is expected that u locate the ball and destroy...I understand he doesnt get beat...I applaud him for that...but YOU need to understand that he is not a ball hawk in any sort...

He is also not a playmaker....Turnovers man....Force a fumble...Get a pic...show me this 4.25 speed...Close on a RB...at flatten him....Kevin Ellison gets it...Mays...well.........To me Taylor Mays is nothing more than a robot version of Jason Allen....And he was more of a playmaker at Tennessee than Mays is...Again I want to see it...But this guy has been starting for "the great USC program" for 3 years now...But give me Eric Berry over Mays in a heartbeat...

Now please tell me u did not compare Mays to DJ....DJ was light years ahead of Mays in the physicality department...And his instincts were bar none....As was Greenway...Timmons had SPEED AND KNEW HOW TO USE IT....And Thomas Davis was just plain NASTY...Not only that he played in the SEC...so his speed was battle tested...

RIGHT NOW Mays is a good prospect at best...Not great....not a beast...just good...if the numbers are true...and he gets a mean streak in him (which can not be taught)...and he puts it all 2gether...then he can be great...he has a little over half a season left...So we shall see...I sure hope he does it...

DoWnThEfiElD
09-29-2008, 08:04 PM

lol gotta love it http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7737

Don't like to toot my own horn but my posts in that topic turned out to be spot on.

Jericho@SC
09-29-2008, 08:24 PM
How is he overrated?? This post is a prime example man....Mays has not warranted any of this hype...By no means am I saying Taylor is a bum....But what I am saying...Is that he has been hype to this point...

In order to be an ELITE safety...It is a must that u are just downright nasty between those white lines...I mean an a$$hole...And that something that Mays is not...Now he may be intimidating in college due to his size...But do u think Anquan Boldin will fear that dude....Honestly....

OK USC hasnt given up any big passing plays...Thats great...But lets not downplay that front 7...Its not like Taylor Mays is out there batting balls down or erasing any WR that comes in his path....Like I said...I make sure I know where that big 2 is when USC is on defense...and Cover 2 or not...When u are that big and that fast (allegedly)...it is expected that u locate the ball and destroy...I understand he doesnt get beat...I applaud him for that...but YOU need to understand that he is not a ball hawk in any sort...

He is also not a playmaker....Turnovers man....Force a fumble...Get a pic...show me this 4.25 speed...Close on a RB...at flatten him....Kevin Ellison gets it...Mays...well.........To me Taylor Mays is nothing more than a robot version of Jason Allen....And he was more of a playmaker at Tennessee than Mays is...Again I want to see it...But this guy has been starting for "the great USC program" for 3 years now...But give me Eric Berry over Mays in a heartbeat...

Now please tell me u did not compare Mays to DJ....DJ was light years ahead of Mays in the physicality department...And his instincts were bar none....As was Greenway...Timmons had SPEED AND KNEW HOW TO USE IT....And Thomas Davis was just plain NASTY...Not only that he played in the SEC...so his speed was battle tested...

RIGHT NOW Mays is a good prospect at best...Not great....not a beast...just good...if the numbers are true...and he gets a mean streak in him (which can not be taught)...and he puts it all 2gether...then he can be great...he has a little over half a season left...So we shall see...I sure hope he does it...

Ok. Maybe Taylor Mays receives more hype than is warranted. Or maybe you're overrating his overratedness.

When people drool over Taylor Mays it's not because he stands out as a playmaker everygame. They drool over him because of what he CAN be. I know we get sick and tired of Kirk Herbstreit and Brent Musburger melting over his physique, but that's all it is.

He has the physical tools to be a playmaker, he's just never asked to roam the field. But I bet that if you were to free him up and roam the field you would hear his name being called more often in a game. He might not have a Sean Taylor impact in this role, but he'd make a difference. Which is why he deserves a first round grade.

Seriously, I haven't heard anyone talk about him going top 5 or anything like that. And if someone did say that, they're wrong. He should go in the mid to late first.

illmatic74
09-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Ok. Maybe Taylor Mays receives more hype than is warranted. Or maybe you're overrating his overratedness.

When people drool over Taylor Mays it's not because he stands out as a playmaker everygame. They drool over him because of what he CAN be. I know we get sick and tired of Kirk Herbstreit and Brent Musburger melting over his physique, but that's all it is.

He has the physical tools to be a playmaker, he's just never asked to roam the field. But I bet that if you were to free him up and roam the field you would hear his name being called more often in a game. He might not have a Sean Taylor impact in this role, but he'd make a difference. Which is why he deserves a first round grade.

Seriously, I haven't heard anyone talk about him going top 5 or anything like that. And if someone did say that, they're wrong. He should go in the mid to late first. Best post on this topic yet

DreadedDatSkinsFan
09-30-2008, 03:15 PM

Seriously, I haven't heard anyone talk about him going top 5 or anything like that. And if someone did say that, they're wrong. He should go in the mid to late first.

"CAN BE" is a term u use when u speak of the future....And "IS" is a term that u use when u speak of the present...And presently...Taylor Mays IS overrated...Im not saying he wont put it together...But as of 9/30/08 he is not on All American status...He IS not a dominant safety....and IS all hype...I hope all the talent that everyone sees CAN BE put together so this dude can be great....IN THE FUTURE...

Buckrock101
10-03-2008, 01:50 AM
I like Mays, and I have him as a mid first rounder. He is good at his job, which is to cover deep and not let big plays in. If he were used in a more attacking fashion, he would be put up more in the stats column I feel. However, he is ridiculously overhyped as a prospect so far.... he isn't close to being worth a top ten pick.

Babylon
10-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Tried to focus quite a bit on Mays against Oregon unfortuantely my TV screen is just so wide. He was around the ball a bit more but he doesnt make a lot of plays. Another thing i noticed, and it may be correctable, is that he doesnt get himself in a good tackling position. Granted athletes nowadays tend to rely too much on physical ability rather than fundamentals but i think it's potentially a real problem at the next level if it doesnt get fixed.

The Trojans pretty much sleep walked thru about the first quarter and half of the game last night. At that point probably from having guys like coach Carroll and linebacker coach Ken Norton yelling at them on the sideline i think they got the message. Guys like Maola, Moore, Griffen, Cushing, Matthews and Ellison started hitting people. Seems Taylor Mays didnt get the message......again.

Malaka
10-05-2008, 11:45 AM
In my opinion Mays is not overrated in my eyes, he is a late first rounder and that is where he should be. He has great speed, great height, and is a very good tackler, it would be nice if he can become a much bigger hitter and improve his instincts.

I would love if the New York Giants drafted Taylor Mays to play SS alongside Kenny Phillips both of them are very versatile, and can play either spot the two of them would make a great young safety tandem.

Sniper
10-05-2008, 11:47 AM
I would love if the New York Giants drafted Taylor Mays to play SS alongside Kenny Phillips both of them are very versatile, and can play either spot the two of them would make a great young safety tandem.

That'd be terrible. I would cry. But Mays would have to play FS. That's what his game is suited for. Phillips is more versatile and can play both.

Malaka
10-05-2008, 11:52 AM
That'd be terrible. I would cry. But Mays would have to play FS. That's what his game is suited for. Phillips is more versatile and can play both.

lol terrible in what sense as a tandem or to the Eagles. Mays + Kenny Phillips however it works whether KP is SS and Mays FS or other way around would be sick in my eyes either way.

Sniper
10-05-2008, 11:52 AM
lol terrible in what sense as a tandem or to the Eagles. Mays + Kenny Phillips however it works whether KP is SS and Mays FS or other way around would be sick in my eyes either way.

For the Eagles.

Malaka
10-05-2008, 11:57 AM
For the Eagles.

If he somehow manages a Kenny Phillips fall I will piss my pants with joy if the Giants get him. If Webster and Ross continue to play well, and KP and TM become what I expect of them... our secondary would actually be a strength on this team. Add in my theory of Tuck to DT, Kiwi to DE, and Osi to DE, the only weakness would be our linebackers, while Danny Clark is average, Pierce is a great leader and very smart, if he were more athletic he would be one of the best MLBs IMO, and while Gerris is disappointing Bryan Kehl seems to be developing nicely... the Giants Defense would be sick, ahhh but only time will tell.

Babylon
10-05-2008, 12:07 PM
In my opinion Mays is not overrated in my eyes, he is a late first rounder and that is where he should be. He has great speed, great height, and is a very good tackler, it would be nice if he can become a much bigger hitter and improve his instincts.

He isnt a very good tackler, he doesnt get in a good defensive stance and to tell you the truth looks lazy in trying to bring down the ball carrier.

Malaka
10-05-2008, 12:45 PM
He isnt a very good tackler, he doesnt get in a good defensive stance and to tell you the truth looks lazy in trying to bring down the ball carrier.

Really I always thought he looked like at least a solid tackler, in the games I saw of him. I don't care him and Kenny Phillips in the same secondary would look dirty.

Jericho@SC
10-05-2008, 10:21 PM
"CAN BE" is a term u use when u speak of the future....And "IS" is a term that u use when u speak of the present...And presently...Taylor Mays IS overrated...Im not saying he wont put it together...But as of 9/30/08 he is not on All American status...He IS not a dominant safety....and IS all hype...I hope all the talent that everyone sees CAN BE put together so this dude can be great....IN THE FUTURE...

That's the thing. In the NFL Draft, scouts don't draft players on what the players ARE currently, but what they WILL be in the future.

Was Lebron James a better, more complete basketball player than Carmelo Anthony coming out of HS? No. Anthony had a better jumpshot, had more basketball fundamentals. But Lebron James had more potential, while not being completely raw altogether. and so he was rightly drafted #1.

Is Matt Stafford an elite pocket passer right now? No. But does he have the rare tools to become one if you nurture his talent? Absolutely.

Most teams will look at Taylor and say, "Well, he's not a big time playmaker right now, but we think he can be if we refine his tackling technique and put him in position that utilizes his abilities better than Pete Carroll's cover 2 defense."

You can teach technique, you can draw plays up to highlight Mays' ability. But you can't teach anyone to be 6'4 235 lbs and run a 4.4.

So as a PROSPECT (ie possibility) is Mays overrated? No.

etk
10-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Mays looked very physical against Oregon when I was watching. A big improvement, but still room for more.

And he might not make a lot of big plays, but because of his athletic ability he always seems to be around the ball to make tackles. Nothing flashy, but a bonus in coverage for a bend-don't-break defense.

Babylon
10-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Mays looked very physical against Oregon when I was watching. A big improvement, but still room for more.

And he might not make a lot of big plays, but because of his athletic ability he always seems to be around the ball to make tackles. Nothing flashy, but a bonus in coverage for a bend-don't-break defense.

I guess in the context of his value what do you pay for a deep safety in a bend dont break defense. My opinion is the 1st round is too high for that skill.

Sniper
10-06-2008, 01:56 PM
I guess in the context of his value what do you pay for a deep safety in a bend dont break defense. My opinion is the 1st round is too high for that skill.

LaRon Landry does it, and he got picked 6th overall.

BamaFalcon59
10-06-2008, 02:13 PM

Eh, that is more by need than want. Sean Taylor played it last year, while Landry was more of a roamer. Taylor was a top pick as well, though, so the point stands.

Babylon
10-06-2008, 02:55 PM

Maybe it's just me but i dont put Mays in the same class as Landry. I will say he will be a 1st round pick whenver he does come out but it wouldnt be me picking him.

giantsfan
10-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Maybe it's just me but i dont put Mays in the same class as Landry. I will say he will be a 1st round pick whenver he does come out but it wouldnt be me picking him.

The point wasn't whether you like Mays as much as Landry, but that Landry plays the same position that you just said wasn't worth a 1st round pick and he was a 6th overall pick.

Babylon
10-06-2008, 03:16 PM
The point wasn't whether you like Mays as much as Landry, but that Landry plays the same position that you just said wasn't worth a 1st round pick and he was a 6th overall pick.

Fair enough. Let me try to phrase it this way, i dont think Mays is worth a 1st round grade regardless of what position he plays.

diabsoule
10-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Taylor Mays is #1 on my early list of who I want the Saints to pick.

giantsfan
10-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Fair enough. Let me try to phrase it this way, i dont think Mays is worth a 1st round grade regardless of what position he plays.

See on potential alone he would warrant a late first round pick to a team in need of a safety, similarly to why i believe Kam Chancellor is a first rounder come april. Add to that he's been good at getting to the ball even though he hasn't made many plays on the ball and I think with good coaching you have a monster on your hands, thus giving further validity to him being picked in the first round.

Sniper
10-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Taylor Mays is #1 on my early list of who I want the Saints to pick.

I would love him in Philly. Jim Johnson would let him tear **** up instead of always being the deep rover.

D-Unit
10-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Well, you've come to the right place to share your opinion. But what are your justifications for it? You can't just say that you think he's a bad player.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
10-06-2008, 05:22 PM
That's the thing. In the NFL Draft, scouts don't draft players on what the players ARE currently, but what they WILL be in the future.

Was Lebron James a better, more complete basketball player than Carmelo Anthony coming out of HS? No. Anthony had a better jumpshot, had more basketball fundamentals. But Lebron James had more potential, while not being completely raw altogether. and so he was rightly drafted #1.

Is Matt Stafford an elite pocket passer right now? No. But does he have the rare tools to become one if you nurture his talent? Absolutely.

Most teams will look at Taylor and say, "Well, he's not a big time playmaker right now, but we think he can be if we refine his tackling technique and put him in position that utilizes his abilities better than Pete Carroll's cover 2 defense."

You can teach technique, you can draw plays up to highlight Mays' ability. But you can't teach anyone to be 6'4 235 lbs and run a 4.4.

So as a PROSPECT (ie possibility) is Mays overrated? No.

I dont think u are understanding what Im saying...I see potential in Mays....But Im saying right as of 2day...thats what he is living on....

Now I like ur Lebron/Melo comparison....But Lebron was a man playin against boys in HS...There was no denying it...he was ready for the NBA...Camello was a damn beast of a player at Syracuse...He was also ready for the league...So if Bron and Mello are to that 2003 NBA draft what Taylor Mays/William Moore are to this 2009 NFL draft lets break it down...

If Mays were to play in a NFL game right he would get killed...He doesnt scare Jaison Williams or Sammie Stroughter...So imagine an Anquan Boldin...or Brandon Marshall...or a quick twitch WR like Tanna Moss or Smitty...They will have a field day on him...Not only would he be on an even playin field in terms of athleticism...But they too would notice that a 6'4 230 pound FS in NOT PHYSICAL AT ALL...

Now same scenario for William Moore...for starters...He is the definition of a ball hawk...so regardless if its Cover 2...Cover 3...Man to Man...Shell coverage...it doesnt matter...He is gonna make plays...2ndly he is physical....So those same WR's I named are gonna be peeking for that FS looking to lay the boom...Moore deserves Mays' hype...

Again....Im not saying he is a bum...Im just saying if ur gonna be an All American...If ur gonna have ur name mentioned w/ the greats to play the safety position...If ur gonna be a 1st round pick...If ur gonna be 6'4 235 lbs and run a 4.4...then by ur 3rd year as starter...Show flashes of brilliants...Like Lebron did in HS...

Saints-Tigers
10-06-2008, 05:33 PM
I never actually thought he was a bad tackler, I just think he should be a much more devastating hitter than he is with his blend of size and athletic ability.

Still a clear first rounder to me, and I would be happy if the Saints drafted him.

etk
10-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Well, you've come to the right place to share your opinion. But what are your justifications for it? You can't just say that you think he's a bad player.

He kind of did.....he implied that he thinks his skillset is not of 1st round value. i.e. you don't draft safeties in the first round if they're just Reggie Nelson-ish types.

Babylon
10-07-2008, 10:50 PM

Never said he was a bad player, did say he is late to the dance on most plays and doesnt do a good job of wrapping up with his tackles. Saying he shouldnt be a 1st round pick (at this time) is my opinion.

D-Unit
11-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Taylor Mays is laying guys out tonight!

Babylon
11-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Taylor Mays is laying guys out tonight!

Best i've seen him play, he's still a little stiff with all that size but great range back there.

Pokeys
11-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Man I want to like this dude so much man...Every time I watch USC play....I make sure I see spot that #2 on the field and watch everything he does man...Other than the grown man body...and the workout numbers that USC put out that we ASSUME are true...This dude does NOT impress me....And trust me Im not hatin on this dude man...Safety is my favorite position...and if u are a beast...Ill be the 1st to put u on a pedestal...but this guy does NOT deserve it...

For one he isnt a playmaker...running a 4.25 with at that size...I should see this dude forcing fumbles all over the place...He is hitting WRs that are 190..he is 235...Lay some wood...and w/ that closing speed playin in the bum a$$ Pac-10...he should have had at least 5 pics last year...

Secondly this dude is NOT physical...Again....235 man....235....235.Why is it that he is not in on every damn play...He should be lookin for contact man...that dude is scared of contact if u ask me...Check out Nic Harris and William Moore play man...Thats what a physical safety is about...not Mays...

I can name 5 safeties Id take over Mays....again...I want to like this dude...All it takes is for me to see one play and Ill take this whole post back....Until then...Mays gets 2 thumbs down....

Oh and the Sean Taylor comparisons....BLASPHEMY...

Who are the 5 Safeties you'd take over him? William Moore, Patrick Chung, Rashad Johnson, Michael Hamlin, and Nic Harris?

keylime_5
11-08-2008, 09:40 PM
i can tell you now that despite him not being as good a player as he is an athlete there won't be any safeties taken ahead of him in the draft.

CashmoneyDrew
11-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Who are the 5 Safeties you'd take over him? William Moore, Patrick Chung, Rashad Johnson, Michael Hamlin, and Nic Harris?

Eric Berry, Eric Berry, Eric Berry, Eric Berry and Eric Berry.