PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Maclin

jetsfan0099
09-27-2008, 06:37 PM
This guy looks like a stud to me. Whats the deal with him? Was watching him, hes fast, has great hands, just a overall playmaker. Would you consider him a definite 1st rounder if he entered the draft this year?? I'm guessing hes going to stay with college for another year though. Guy looks like a top of the line WR, better then last years WR. IMO

CashmoneyDrew
09-27-2008, 06:41 PM
He might actually declare since his buddy Chase Daniel is done after this year. I know Mizzou is supposedly loaded with talent behind Daniel, but still. As a fan of a WR starved team I would love to see him come out.

Race for the Heisman
09-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Depends. If Ted Ginn can go ninth overall, I'm sure Maclin could go in the first. On the other hand, while I'm sure it is most likely an aberration, draftniks had originally thought there would be 3 first round receivers last year (Sweed, Thomas, Jackson/Kelly) and there ended up being none. I'm almost certain the same won't happen this year (too many good prospects), but it depends on the value of the first receiver.

jetsfan0099
09-27-2008, 06:43 PM
I like Maclin more then the WRs in last years draft. I was never a fan of Malcom Kelly or Devin Thomas. I really liked DeSean Jackson.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-27-2008, 06:47 PM
I think Maclin should have a legitmate shot at the top ten if he keeps it up this year. He's a pretty spectacular player.

Race for the Heisman
09-27-2008, 06:49 PM
I like Maclin more then the WRs in last years draft. I was never a fan of Malcom Kelly or Devin Thomas. I really liked DeSean Jackson.

Granted they all had big problems (Sweed - injury, Thomas - one-year wonder, Kelly - durability/timed speed, Jackson - durability), but it was still surprising, at least to me, that not a single one went in the first. I will say that as an overall athlete I like Maclin about the same as Jackson, who I thought had value in the late first, but I'm also concerned about his durability. I could see his career unfold a bit like Steve Smith's (Carolina) did.

LonghornsLegend
09-27-2008, 07:09 PM
I like him alot more then Percy Harvin, Maclin is VERY polished for a WR and isn't just some speed guy who makes plays, he runs great routes and has soft hands, right now I doubt he makes it out of the top 10, before the season started I felt he was a late 1st rd type of talent...I have him barely in front of Crabtree right now because I feel like he is a bigger deep threat where Crabtree is more of a Fitzgerald type WR which is still a top 15 pick in itself.

P-L
09-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Out of Ginn, Jackson, Harvin and Maclin I like Maclin the best. By a pretty decent margin too.

sweetness34
09-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Have some friends who go to Mizzou and word on the street is that he's gone after this season.

Kid has some serious ability but he's also not built very well to handle hits in the NFL, he's more of a north/south threat. Kid can still do some things with the ball in his hands though.

STARHEATHER
09-28-2008, 03:41 PM
he has special return skills and big play ability that makes him worthy of a relatively high selection. they dont do any nfl stuff in that offense, so its difficult to say hes going to be a great receiver. but just get the ball in his hands and good things happen. potential rd 1.

jbeans187
09-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Have some friends who go to Mizzou and word on the street is that he's gone after this season.

Kid has some serious ability but he's also not built very well to handle hits in the NFL, he's more of a north/south threat. Kid can still do some things with the ball in his hands though.

I'd love to see him stay but i think he should leave. Benefits outweigh the risks

adschofield
09-28-2008, 10:14 PM
What's his route running ability like? Is he very polished or is he Ted Ginn Part Deux

BPhilb
09-28-2008, 10:40 PM
What's his route running ability like? Is he very polished or is he Ted Ginn Part Deux

According to the coaching staff he has greatly improved this year. He is used in so many different ways in the offense it's amazing. The only thing we don't get to see is how he handle's double coverage as it's almost impossible to do in Missouri's offense. He will be a weapon in the NFL, but probably not as a traditional Number 1 reciever.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
09-28-2008, 11:09 PM
I like him alot more then Percy Harvin, Maclin is VERY polished for a WR and isn't just some speed guy who makes plays, he runs great routes and has soft hands, right now I doubt he makes it out of the top 10, before the season started I felt he was a late 1st rd type of talent...I have him barely in front of Crabtree right now because I feel like he is a bigger deep threat where Crabtree is more of a Fitzgerald type WR which is still a top 15 pick in itself.

WTF? He is not very polished at all.

He has elite speed is very shifty in the open field, but has questionable hands. Almost all his catches hit him in the body & I've seen him drop a lot of easy ones. He is not very polished right now at all.

holt_bruce81
09-30-2008, 11:16 PM
He's 6'1 190 pounds and has 4.2 speed

so he's got height, got muscle and has Superman type speed

Could be a top 5 pick if he "WOWs" at the Combine.

holt_bruce81
09-30-2008, 11:21 PM
WTF? He is not very polished at all.

He has elite speed is very shifty in the open field, but has questionable hands. Almost all his catches hit him in the body & I've seen him drop a lot of easy ones. He is not very polished right now at all.

uh what are you talking about? he has excellent hands.

d34ng3l021
09-30-2008, 11:54 PM
He seems like a stud to me. A lot more polished than Ginn and Jackson were. He could use some help in route running, but that will come with time. If he can have that down, he will be DAMN good.

I dont know who he reminds me of though.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
10-01-2008, 01:14 AM
He's 6'1 190 pounds and has 4.2 speed

so he's got height, got muscle and has Superman type speed

Could be a top 5 pick if he "WOWs" at the Combine.

Top 5 pick? Not a chance in hell. He can run a 4.25 and still would not go in the top 5. Everyone knows he is fast already. Every single pass I have seen Maclin catch has hit him in the body and he dropped a few easy ones in the Illinois game.

I think Maclin is going to be a Joey Galloway with elite return skills. But, his route running and hands are definitely suspect at this point.

How does Jeremy Maclin have the muscle? He has chicken legs & small arms for a 6'1 guy.

Heyward-Bey has a better shot at wowing at the combine and going in the top 5 than Maclin.

Also, I think Percy is going to be a better play than Maclin at the next level. Unlike, Maclin - Percy has put on some bulk and still can run by anyone.

holt_bruce81
10-01-2008, 02:37 AM
Maclin isn't a small dude, he's got muscle. Ginn was picked 9th overall with a skinny frame and a bad ankle, why couldn't Maclin go top 5?

And Maclin is not a "body" catcher. He has great hands.

jnew76
10-01-2008, 03:44 AM
Top 5 pick? Not a chance in hell. He can run a 4.25 and still would not go in the top 5. Everyone knows he is fast already. Every single pass I have seen Maclin catch has hit him in the body and he dropped a few easy ones in the Illinois game.

Please show me... Can you please show me a catch out of the 50+ or so on youtube where Maclin catches the ball with his body... For every one you find, I will show you AT LEAST 15-20 that he catches with his hands.

For the Illinois game... He had one drop that I can identify. I just watched the game again due to your post, and there is not one other ball that was dropped or caught with his body. thank you.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
10-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Maclin isn't a small dude, he's got muscle. Ginn was picked 9th overall with a skinny frame and a bad ankle, why couldn't Maclin go top 5?

And Maclin is not a "body" catcher. He has great hands.

Ginn got picked by a loser coach who got fired immediately following. Cam Cameron is awful and pushed for that pick.

Ginn obviously wasn't worth that pick and everyone knew that.

Yes, Maclin is a better player than Ginn, but he's still very raw as a receiver.

This is what a top 5 WR pick looks like:

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper736/stills/53n733ut.jpg

holt_bruce81
10-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Ginn got picked by a loser coach who got fired immediately following. Cam Cameron is awful and pushed for that pick.

Ginn obviously wasn't worth that pick and everyone knew that.

Yes, Maclin is a better player than Ginn, but he's still very raw as a receiver.

This is what a top 5 WR pick looks like:

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper736/stills/53n733ut.jpg

LOL Maclin is 100X the Receiver Benn is.

STARHEATHER
10-01-2008, 06:13 PM
put the rock in his hands and good things happen

Bruce Banner
10-01-2008, 06:17 PM
LOL Maclin is 100X the Receiver Benn is.

I know you are a homer but come on.

holt_bruce81
10-01-2008, 06:21 PM
I know you are a homer but come on.

100x was a little exaggerated but Maclin is the better Receiver and will get drafted higher.

regoob2
10-01-2008, 06:25 PM
100x was a little exaggerated but Maclin is the better Receiver and will get drafted higher.
wow, if Benn came out now he would give Maclin a run in the 1st round. Benn will be selected before Maclin.

STARHEATHER
10-01-2008, 06:27 PM
why is that

regoob2
10-01-2008, 06:29 PM
why is thatsize, strength, breaks tackles, hands, maclins system is BS. Benn is a beast.

holt_bruce81
10-01-2008, 06:30 PM
size, strength, breaks tackles, hands, maclins system is BS. Benn is a beast.

So are you saying Michael Crabtree isn't a good receiver?

Bruce Banner
10-01-2008, 06:33 PM

Different situations. Crabtree and Maclin have different roles. Maclin is pure vertical speed.

holt_bruce81
10-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Different situations. Crabtree and Maclin have different roles. Maclin is pure vertical speed.

I don't understand, are you saying Maclin runs no routes just runs deep everytime?

regoob2
10-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Did I say Maclin isnt a good receiver? Crabtree and Benn are both better.

holt_bruce81
10-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Did I say Maclin isnt a good receiver? Crabtree and Benn are both better.

Crabtree maybe, Benn no way in hell is he better.

Bruce Banner
10-01-2008, 06:36 PM
I don't understand, are you saying Maclin runs no routes just runs deep everytime?

Please, start making statements instead of asking questions.

We need to get Scott's opinion.

It's simple if you ask me.

Maclin is nothing but speed.

Benn is physical, has size, sick hands, etc.

holt_bruce81
10-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Please, start making statements instead of asking questions.

We need to get Scott's opinion.

It's simple if you ask me.

Maclin is nothing but speed.

Benn is physical, has size, sick hands, etc.

If you think Maclin is nothing but speed you obviously have not seen him play much. He has greatly improved his route running this season, last year yes even he and Daniel said that there were times where Maclin ran around like a chicken with his head cut off. Maclin does have great hands, I don't know where you people get that he doesn't. And Maclin doesn't have size? he's 6'1 and almost 200 pounds, hate those people who thinks he's some skinny punk. He's ripped, not as much as Benn but Maclin does have muscle.

STARHEATHER
10-01-2008, 06:53 PM
who makes more plays, benn or maclin. maclin is also faster, and the idea hes not as good a receiver hasnt been proven. maclin also has more speed and better value added skills. its not a knock on benn, but maclin has proven the more impact player at this point

Bruce Banner
10-01-2008, 06:53 PM
If you think Maclin is nothing but speed you obviously have not seen him play much. He has greatly improved his route running this season, last year yes even he and Daniel said that there were times where Maclin ran around like a chicken with his head cut off. Maclin does have great hands, I don't know where you people get that he doesn't. And Maclin doesn't have size? he's 6'1 and almost 200 pounds, hate those people who thinks he's some skinny punk. He's ripped, not as much as Benn but Maclin does have muscle.

Maclin, the body catcher!

regoob2
10-01-2008, 06:54 PM
who makes more plays, benn or maclin. maclin is also faster, and the idea hes not as good a receiver hasnt been proven. maclin also has more speed and better value added skills. its not a knock on benn, but maclin has proven the more impact player at this pointOf course maclin is gonna make more plays look at the offenses and QBs.

STARHEATHER
10-01-2008, 07:00 PM
i wouldnt touch crabtree before maclin.i question whether he will be able to get open in the nfl. they play basically in the same offense crabtree has more catches, maclin makes more big plays. i would say its a race right now between maclin and darius heyward bey for the top spot. julio jones is the best wr ive seen but not eligible. id use a late rd 1 on maclin surely. he does the most freaky stuff. heyward bey in the mix. crabtree not in the mix before rd 2-3. inferior physically without the value added skills. a posession receiver at the nfl level.

jnew76
10-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Comparing Benn and Maclin is comparing two completely different types of receivers. But I will try and do it anyway.

I love both Maclin and Benn as prospects... People are saying that Maclin is not a good route runner... I would say for a RS - Soph he is a pretty good route runner.

Benn on the other hand, needs a lot of improvement in his route running and understanding how to utilize his speed and size better. I expect this to be dramatically improved this time next year.

Speed - Maclin (approx 4.35-4.38) Benn (approx 4.39-4.44)
***Note that Maclin and Benn both play to their speed in pads which is hard to find.

Agility - I would say it's a tie... Benn is very agile for his size.

Hands - Tie... Both make some incredible catches and have very strong hands.

RAC - Benn is better here. He makes more people miss and can run people over. Maclin beats them with straight speed. Another close one.

Strength - Benn is a beast... He needs to use it better, but it will come.

Production - Maclin - and it's not even close. As talented as Benn is, he DISAPPEARS way too often. Where was he in the 2nd half against Penn St.? There is a reason Hershel Walker does not hold the Freshman all purpose yardage record any more - JMac.

Durability - Tie...Maclin had ACL as Freshman. For being a beast, Benn is always battling nagging injuries.

Benn might have as much or more potential than Maclin, but I would honestly take Maclin. His playing speed and production make the decision for me.

That is my take... I am sure you will disagree... enjoy.

jnew76
10-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Of course maclin is gonna make more plays look at the offenses and QBs.

Did he need the offense or the QB in the Illinois game when he went 99 yards on the kick return? He single-handedly changed the whole game in the blink of an eye.

regoob2
10-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Did he need the offense or the QB in the Illinois game when he went 99 yards on the kick return? He single-handedly changed the whole game in the blink of an eye.Is he the first guy to return a kick for a TD in college?

jnew76
10-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Is he the first guy to return a kick for a TD in college?

No, but he is the first guy to return both a punt and a kickoff for TD's against Illinois.

Just pointing out that he does not need Chase Daniel and the offense to destroy Illinois. But I think you already knew that being an Illinois fan. But if not there are some helpful links below to refresh your memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6FjRqqy5ig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgkgoN0n1ig

regoob2
10-01-2008, 09:07 PM
No, but he is the first guy to return both a punt and a kickoff for TD's against Illinois.

Just pointing out that he does not need Chase Daniel and the offense to destroy Illinois. But I think you already knew that being an Illinois fan. But if not there are some helpful links below to refresh your memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6FjRqqy5ig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgkgoN0n1ig I haven't really cared about Illinois since Brasic left. Maclin is a great WR but he's no Benn.

jnew76
10-01-2008, 09:18 PM
I have really cared about Illinois since Brasic left. Maclin is a great WR but he's no Benn.

I like them both as well... Hope to see them both succeed at the nest level.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
10-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Arrelious is the closest thing we have seen to Andre Johnson since he came out and went 3rd overall.

Maclin is likely to go between 12-25 while Benn is a sure fire top 10 guy.

Unlike Maclin, Benn projects as a true #1.

Bruce Banner
10-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Can a non Illinois and non Mizzou inclined person that has watched both Maclin and Benn, give us a comp?

10-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Arrelious is the closest thing we have seen to Andre Johnson since he came out and went 3rd overall.

Maclin is likely to go between 12-25 while Benn is a sure fire top 10 guy.

Unlike Maclin, Benn projects as a true #1.

I like the Boldin-Benn comparisons much better. Tough as nails.

PACKmanN
10-01-2008, 11:00 PM
How about Jeremy Maclin vs Percy Harvin?

10-01-2008, 11:05 PM
How about Jeremy Maclin vs Percy Harvin?

Why must I choose ? Right now anyways it's still Maclin vs the rest. By the end of the season however once we get a clearer picture of who delcares and vice versa that opinion could certainly shift.

ToldLikeItIs
10-02-2008, 02:43 AM
Maclin in a landslide.

rockio42
10-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Maclin, Maclin, and....Maclin

Hes a lot bigger than most people think and could probably put on a couple more pounds, he no where near the size of DeSean Jackson and look what he is doing

And Maclin can't be a #1 reciever, seriously???, want to elborate on that??

10-02-2008, 11:16 AM
For some odd reason I always envisioned Maclin as a Santonio Holmes - type. 12-25 range is probably where I see him slotted atm as well.

BPhilb
10-02-2008, 12:18 PM
For some odd reason I always envisioned Maclin as a Santonio Holmes - type. 12-25 range is probably where I see him slotted atm as well.

I actually view Maclin as a Reggie Bush comp. I can see him lined up in the backfield and set in motion in various formations and causing massive matchup problems. He needs to go to a team with a creative offensive coordianator to reach his max potential but the guy is amazing and think his game is going to translate well at the next level.

Race for the Heisman
10-02-2008, 12:39 PM

I actually like that comparison a bit, although I think Maclin is more explosive. If I had to choose between the two though, I'd pick Santonio.

PACKmanN
10-02-2008, 12:45 PM
I actually like that comparison a bit, although I think Maclin is more explosive. If I had to choose between the two though, I'd pick Santonio.

I see more of a Greg Jennings in him.

jnew76
10-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Physically i think he compares to Torry Holt/Reggie Wayne in body type. Probably a little faster, but not near the route runner

sweetness34
10-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Maclin in a landslide.

Awesome analysis Told. For you Iowa guys I know thinking can be a bit hard and make your head hurt but c'mon now, I expected better from a guy like you.

Maclin has the best QB in the country throwing to him. Benn has an incosistent, run-first type QB throwing to him.

Jeremy has better return skills but as a pure WR, c'mon seriously? Arrelious Benn could play in the NFL right now. He has the size, the hands, the playmaking ability, and the toughness.

Give him a QB who is consistently accurate and he'd be putting up huge numbers. He is Boldin/Johnson Version2.0.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
10-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Maclin, Maclin, and....Maclin

Hes a lot bigger than most people think and could probably put on a couple more pounds, he no where near the size of DeSean Jackson and look what he is doing

And Maclin can't be a #1 reciever, seriously???, want to elborate on that??

He is not Steve Smith and isn't going over the middle. He is an average route runner and has average hands. Maclin is a pure vertical guy.

Maclin got destroyed when he went against Vontae Davis in week one.. He is going to see guys just as good / probably better in the NFL consistently.

It's funny looking at his stats this year.. Maclin plays Illinois gets shut down & the next week plays SE Missouri State and has 2 receptions for 20 yards. 50 yards total the first two weeks then plays teams like Nevada & Buffalo and goes for 200 yards each game.

I don't think he will ever sniff being a #1 WR in the NFL.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
10-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Physically i think he compares to Torry Holt/Reggie Wayne in body type. Probably a little faster, but not near the route runner

Yeah, remove the skill that makes Holt as special as he is and Maclin might be close.

holt_bruce81
10-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Awesome analysis Told. For you Iowa guys I know thinking can be a bit hard and make your head hurt but c'mon now, I expected better from a guy like you.

Maclin has the best QB in the country throwing to him. Benn has an incosistent, run-first type QB throwing to him.

Jeremy has better return skills but as a pure WR, c'mon seriously? Arrelious Benn could play in the NFL right now. He has the size, the hands, the playmaking ability, and the toughness.

Give him a QB who is consistently accurate and he'd be putting up huge numbers. He is Boldin/Johnson Version2.0.

I think he was commenting on "Maclin vs Harvin"

holt_bruce81
10-02-2008, 03:46 PM
He is not Steve Smith and isn't going over the middle. He is an average route runner and has average hands. Maclin is a pure vertical guy.

Maclin got destroyed when he went against Vontae Davis in week one.. He is going to see guys just as good / probably better in the NFL consistently.

It's funny looking at his stats this year.. Maclin plays Illinois gets shut down & the next week plays SE Missouri State and has 2 receptions for 20 yards. 50 yards total the first two weeks then plays teams like Nevada & Buffalo and goes for 200 yards each game.

Maclin wasn't "shutdown" by Vontae, Illinois ran a zone defense so Vontae was never really on Maclin.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
10-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Maclin wasn't "shutdown" by Vontae, Illinois ran a zone defense so Vontae was never really on Maclin.

Yes, partially true, but Vontae did get matched up on him on quite a few snaps.

I am sure you remember the play down the sidelines where it looked like Vontae was jogging and had a pass break up against Maclin. Even though Illinois did run quite a bit of zone, Mizzou's offense ran so many plays that there was also a solid amount of zone.

Illinois has been gashed defensively all year.. Derrick Williams just went off on Illinois secondary that is more healthy now than it was for the Mizzou game.

Maclin was shut down by a pretty awful defense. No way of really getting around that.

Maclin won't be a #1 WR in the NFL.

sweetness34
10-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Maclin really didn't do anything in the passing game against us, in fact he dropped a first down and got smacked by Vontae on the first play of the game. His big impact were the two kickoff returns. He's a talent, but to say he's a better WR/NFL prospect than Benn is ridiculous. Benn has everything you want in a #1. Size, good speed, good hands, very physical, loves to run block, hard worker, and a game breaker.

adschofield
10-02-2008, 04:19 PM
This thread is worthless with the MU and Illinois homers being the only ones commenting

Bruce Banner
10-02-2008, 04:22 PM
This thread is worthless with the MU and Illinois homers being the only ones commenting

Which is why I asked for an objective observer to jump in. I would myself but I haven't seen enough of both.

holt_bruce81
10-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Yes, partially true, but Vontae did get matched up on him on quite a few snaps.

I am sure you remember the play down the sidelines where it looked like Vontae was jogging and had a pass break up against Maclin. Even though Illinois did run quite a bit of zone, Mizzou's offense ran so many plays that there was also a solid amount of zone.

Illinois has been gashed defensively all year.. Derrick Williams just went off on Illinois secondary that is more healthy now than it was for the Mizzou game.

Maclin was shut down by a pretty awful defense. No way of really getting around that.

Maclin won't be a #1 WR in the NFL.

Well I mean it's one game. And also Maclin didn't play the 2nd half of the SEMO game or the Nevada game because of the score. Arrelious Benn had a combined 8 catches for 58 yards against Eastern Illinois and Louisiana-Lafayette.

I know your going to throw something at me, but my point is you can't judge someone off one game. Maclin, Crabtree and Benn have all the tools to be a #1 Receiver in the NFL.

BPhilb
10-02-2008, 04:25 PM

Your stat comparison is unfair as against Illinois we ran for over 250 yards and Maclin didn't play in the forth quarter. He only played in 2 series against SEMO because of the same ankle and the game got out of hand quickly. We will get a better read over the upcoming weeks when Big 12 play starts. I've watched nearly every snap of Missouri football and calling Maclin a verticle threat only is a very inaccurate statment.

Race for the Heisman
10-02-2008, 05:17 PM
I think I can be relatively objective on this and the first thing that has to be said is receiving numbers don't count for much. Other numbers, like return statistics, have value when comparing their relative values on special teams, but receiving numbers really aren't that important.

To give a counter-example, let's take Anthony Gonzalez and Craig Davis. They were selected 30th and 32nd overall in 2007. Both played in pro style offenses at traditional powerhouse programs, had legitimate college quarterbacks throwing them the ball, and competed with other first round picks for passes. The pair had similar numbers in their final seasons (although Davis had nearly double Gonzalez's career receptions). Yet Gonzalez has emerged as a key component for the Colts (partially due to injuries), while Davis has struggled as of yet to make much of an impact with the Chargers, who aren't considered to have the greatest receiving core (although Chambers has gone a ways toward rectifying that). I don't know, maybe this is just a wayward tangent, but I wanted to make a point that receiving numbers might translate to prospect stock in similar players, but when players are different and their scenarios are also different, they are not good means of evaluation.

This is why teams don't care so much about Crabtree's numbers or why a player can get drafted relatively high with limited production (granted some of these have quirks, but: Matt Jones, Greg Olsen, Roy Hall, hell let's just say workout warriors). By the same token, there have been players like Mike Haas, Mike Williams, Mike Jenkins (I wonder how long I could keep this up?), and maybe Dwayne Jarrett, who had great college production but didn't translate.

Now, I think Maclin has great potential. I would say that both he and Benn have similar ceilings, but I think Benn has a better floor. Both could have great success in the NFL. If I were to need a number one for certain, I would take Benn. He has superior physical attributes overall (athleticism:size ratio). Maclin might be drafted as an slot guy but I think he could play outside, not unlike what Anthony Gonzalez is doing. All in all, I prefer Benn. I think he projects better, but that doesn't mean Maclin is deserving of being called a first round prospect as well.

Bruce Banner
10-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Quality analysis Race. Post more, read less.

sweetness34
10-02-2008, 05:46 PM

Homer? Benn is a superior NFL prospect and a superior #1 WR right now, there's no if's, and's, or but's about it.

Maclin is a weapon, but he is not polished and needs work. Benn is ready to play in the NFL right now.

rockio42
10-02-2008, 09:14 PM
wrong...dead wrong

Bruce Banner
10-02-2008, 09:15 PM
wrong...dead wrong

Your sig speaks volumes about your post.

BamaFalcon59
10-02-2008, 09:35 PM
I'm not biased. As far as Benn and Maclin, I'll take Maclin by a large margin in college and Benn by a smaller margin in the NFL.

Say whatever, but in college you can get by with pure athleticism. And Maclin is just amazing in the college game.

Benn I love when he has the ball in his hands, but too often he disappears. And no, I won't solely blame the QB for that.

Diehard
10-02-2008, 10:25 PM
My 2 cents, for what it's worth:

I think Benn's the more conventional #1 in the NFL. Size, strength, hands. He seems to have the kind of attitude that one guy isn't enough to tackle him.

I like Maclin better as a returner and slot guy where he can get really lopsided matchups and kill you deep. I think he's more of a gamebreaker than Benn, but from an NFL perspective he's not as well rounded.

DragonFireKai
10-02-2008, 10:32 PM

Because the Dolphins are universally regarded as idiots for picking Ginn that high by objective observers.

BBIB
10-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Maclin looks like the best WR in this class.

A bigger version of DeSean Jackson.

Percy Harvin could be the best but the stupid way Urban Meyer uses him we would never know.

PACKmanN
10-03-2008, 01:25 PM
I was thinking about this, what about the comparison to Roddy White?

BamaFalcon59
10-03-2008, 04:16 PM
No. Roddy is very, very physical and a great blocker, to go along with great speed. Maclin isn't near as physical and is a bit faster.

STARHEATHER
10-03-2008, 08:47 PM
roddy white is a decent nfl wr. id say hes not as good a receiver at this point, or hasnt proven to be. what makes him special is the big play ability and value added skills. if he turns out to be a good receiver then its lights out hes going to be outstanding. get the ball in his hands, good things happen. a threat to take it to the house every time he gets the ball. im not saying hes devin hester but he shows that type of value added ability. the type of ability that can win games for you. im going to say hes the #1 wr right now. if he develops great pass catching skills hes going to be outstanding. worst case is hes going to be a big play guy. best case through the roof. when he gets the ball, good things happen.

ChezPower4
10-03-2008, 08:58 PM
roddy white is a decent nfl wr. id say hes not as good a receiver at this point, or hasnt proven to be. what makes him special is the big play ability and value added skills. if he turns out to be a good receiver then its lights out hes going to be outstanding. get the ball in his hands, good things happen. a threat to take it to the house every time he gets the ball. im not saying hes devin hester but he shows that type of value added ability. the type of ability that can win games for you. im going to say hes the #1 wr right now. if he develops great pass catching skills hes going to be outstanding. worst case is hes going to be a big play guy. best case through the roof. when he gets the ball, good things happen.

Roddy White 2007: Rec- 83 Yards- 1,202 Td- 6 Avg- 14.5 W/ Joey Harrington and Chris Reddman at QB. Looks to me like he is devloping just fine. He's also having a good year so far in 2008

keylime_5
10-03-2008, 09:07 PM
I was thinking about this, what about the comparison to Roddy White?

no way, Roddy is big and strong and uses his body well in his routes, very different than Maclin.

STARHEATHER
10-03-2008, 09:24 PM
they dont exactly do any nfl stuff in that offense. its hard to judge maclins receiving abilities at this point. thats eems to be the only real question. its a legit question. but his value added ability alone warrants a second rd value. if he displays top end receiving skills, he could be a rd possibly the first wr taken, and potentially an outstanding nfl wr

sweetness34
10-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Maclin looks like the best WR in this class.

A bigger version of DeSean Jackson.

Percy Harvin could be the best but the stupid way Urban Meyer uses him we would never know.

Jeremy Maclin is nowhere near DeSean Jackson in terms of route running, hands, and naunces of being a WR.

The kid has some serious potential because of his height, speed, and playmaking ability but as far as a #1 WR in the NFL, he has a long, long way to go.

sweetness34
10-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Benn I love when he has the ball in his hands, but too often he disappears. And no, I won't solely blame the QB for that.

Umm and why is that? Juice's accuracy is why Benn doesn't get the ball more. I've watched every game this year and he does get open, Juice just can't hit him consistently

Arrelious does have some things to learn but his stats and his "disappearances" games is largely due to the fact that he doesn't have a very good passing QB right now.

Plus we use him in the backfield on the option, which negates his ability down the field.

sweetness34
10-04-2008, 11:19 AM
My 2 cents, for what it's worth:

I think Benn's the more conventional #1 in the NFL. Size, strength, hands. He seems to have the kind of attitude that one guy isn't enough to tackle him.

I like Maclin better as a returner and slot guy where he can get really lopsided matchups and kill you deep. I think he's more of a gamebreaker than Benn, but from an NFL perspective he's not as well rounded.

Yup....what this guy said.

Oh and rockio, how am I dead wrong? Maclin is a slot guy and a return man. He is not a #1 WR in the NFL. That's not saying he won't be a good NFL player, I'm just saying that he's not going to be put in the Steve Smith, Terrell Owens, Anquan Boldin categories.

Staubach12
10-04-2008, 12:27 PM
put the rock in his hands and good things happen

Breaking News! I had no idea! You're so insightful!

Paranoidmoonduck
10-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Personally, I think Maclin is being type-cast as a slot guy because of his size more than because of his skills and playing style. Compared to guys with similar size he's pretty strong and physical and he runs the kind of routes you mostly see from #1's and #2's in the NFL and runs them well.

I think we could be looking at a shiftier and more explosive Santonio Holmes, personally.

killa3312
10-05-2008, 09:38 AM
It's a shame Harvin can't consistently stay healthy, because he's a special, special talent. He's better than Maclin (similar speed, but better vision, balance, and cut-back ability), and has a first step unlike anyone in college football. In addition, he's an underrated receiver who runs pretty good routes already and is a terrific blocker (especially for his size).

This is a guy who would easily put up 2,000+ total yards of offense (rushing and receiving) if he'd play every game, and he could be a special return man, too, but Florida has Brandon James for that.

I'm not taking anything away from Maclin, but people who think he's "way better" than Harvin just don't know how good Harvin really is.