PDA

View Full Version : Post-Week 5 Draft Thoughts

Geo
09-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Sen'Derrick Marks is a beast. This guy can play both tackles spots in a 4-3, and even lines up at either NT or DE when Auburn occassionally goes to a three-man front. And he plays them all well, he's a constant force. Quick and strong with a motor. Marks is a junior, but he's started 31 games and counting - he's proven himself and produced. I think the guy is better than Amobi Okoye, and Glenn Dorsey needs to start being mentioned now; honestly I'm quietly starting to wonder if Marks is more Warren Sapp than Dorsey is, plus Marks doesn't have Dorsey's injury history. Marks is the only defensive tackle I definitely place a first round value on right now.

I was hoping Terrance Taylor slimming down to ~300 lbs. would make him slightly more explosive, but that hasn't been the case really. His stamina has improved, but a two-gap scheme is probably the better fit. Wouldn't surprise me if he isn't taken until the 3rd round.

If Tommy Bowden of Clemson is fired after this season, and that's looking more likely - and deserved - as this season progresses, one wonders how much of an incentive that would give to RB CJ Spiller to declare as a junior. I love Spiller, I know I've made no bones about that here on NFLDC. I see him and his talent, I see Marshall Faulk physically. (Mentally, few if any backs can compare to Faulk.)

When I see Derrick Williams of Penn State play, honestly I don't think he's very fast. He's somewhat fast, if that makes sense, but I don't think he'll get away in the pros with all of the plays he makes at Penn State. Returns included. He might still make some plays if he runs his routes very well, sort of like a poor man's Reggie Wayne I suppose.

All Ohio State WR Brian Robiskie does is catch touchdowns. He even had a great one at Southern Cal that was called back due to penalty.

Tim Tebow is getting exposed as a pro prospect. I can't say he won't be a first round pick though, heck Joe Flacco was a first round pick last year. It seems Urban Meyer has given him the keys to the spread offense this year, but I'm not sure how well he is making his reads, and in that vein, a tendency to tuck the ball and run it. I don't think he's a lost cause or anything, but development and growth will be critical. Don't want another Alex Smith fiasco.

I've said that I am not entirely sold on Matthew Stafford as the first overall pick. I do think he's a Top 10 pick though, for need of the position and his talent.

But if Herm Edwards and Carl Peterson are still in Kansas City come the '09 Draft, at either the first or second overall pick, I can't imagine them drafting Stafford. They can't afford another bad year, they would be drafting the quarterback for the next regime.

Discuss and add your own.

Cribbs>Hester
09-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Charles Scott is better than Chris Wells.

Andre Smith is a beast

Antoine Caldwell is beastlier(new word of the day) just in a less impactful and important position

The End!

Xiomera
09-28-2008, 10:30 AM
I was hoping Terrance Taylor slimming down to ~300 lbs. would make him slightly more explosive, but that hasn't been the case really. His stamina has improved, but a two-gap scheme is probably the better fit. Wouldn't surprise me if he isn't taken until the 3rd round.

Taylor had a good game. Not to mention it was he who stood up at halftime and demanded his team play better. They were down 19-0 at the half and won the game. I don't see any way he falls to the third.

Cribbs>Hester
09-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Oh and I forgot to mention that Greg Hardy has been beasting it since his return and he had another great performance against Florida. 2.5 TFL and 1.5 sacks. Looks like the injury isn't going to effect him much. Already with 2.5 sacks in 2 games I think he's still going to eclipse the double digit mark.

SenorGato
09-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Oh and I forgot to mention that Greg Hardy has been beasting it since his return and he had another great performance against Florida. 2.5 TFL and 1.5 sacks. Looks like the injury isn't going to effect him much. Already with 2.5 sacks in 2 games I think he's still going to eclipse the double digit mark.

Yea, I was going to say Hardy is really showing what he can do. He's a man amongst boys in the SEC...

I agree about Marks. "Explosive" is the first word that came to mind when I saw him...he's got a ridiculous first step for a DT. Combine that with a motor that doesn't stop and boom...

Marcus Thigpen from Indiana is fast, tough, and versatile. Coaches love a guy like this. He's a WR in the NFL.

Ole Miss' two elite guys (Hardy and Oher) have a legit shot to be two of the top 5 prospects in this draft. Doesn't mean they'll go top 5 though.

Cody and Smith are the real deal for Bama. Cody was constantly in the backfield early on. I'm gonna place myself firmly in his camp because his upside as a 2 gap player in the NFL is ridiculous. Terrence Taylor isn't really doing anything to hurt himself either, but I don't see him dominating like Cody does.

Stafford should stay another year. I believe that for all QB's though. His physical talent is ridiculous, and so far this year I've seen him make some excellent throws. Still, he's not a finished product yet, and if you're coming out as a QB you better be as close to finished as possible. His arm is ridiculous.

Michigan St. has some talent I've got to watch more. Same for Maryland. I really like Ringer, but he's being run into the ground this season.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Joe McKnight looked horrible.But what else is new.

Saints-Tigers
09-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Well it was the first game of the season that McKnight was below 8.8 yards per carry, so I guess it's pretty new...

CashmoneyDrew
09-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Man, if all the JR QB's stay, any team looking for a QB is gonna be hurting.

CC.SD
09-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Where does everyone stand on Chase Daniels as a pro prospect right now?

CashmoneyDrew
09-28-2008, 12:21 PM

I hate to say it but he might actually be the best senior right now.

Cigaro
09-28-2008, 12:24 PM
If Tommy Bowden of Clemson is fired after this season, and that's looking more likely - and deserved - as this season progresses, one wonders how much of an incentive that would give to RB CJ Spiller to declare as a junior. I love Spiller, I know I've made no bones about that here on NFLDC. I see him and his talent, I see Marshall Faulk physically. (Mentally, few if any backs can compare to Faulk.)

Spiller is gone whether Bowden stays or not.

Babylon
09-28-2008, 01:01 PM

I think him and Painter are second rounders and a few juniors like Stafford ,Sanchez and Tebow are 1st rounders. Not sure where Sam Bradford fits into any equation as far as draft stocks goes.

SenorGato
09-28-2008, 01:10 PM
I hope none of the juniors come out so that next years class has the potential to '04 it...

I really like Daniels as a pro prospect. I know the knock against spread QBs, but thats why you scout the individual over the stereotype. Reminds me alot of Drew Brees. He's short but his physical tools are good enough to succeed in the NFL, and he just seems like one of those cerebral QBs. He definitely puts in his work. Kinda similar to Kellen Clemens as a prospect actually...

Babylon
09-28-2008, 01:16 PM
I hope none of the juniors come out so that next years class has the potential to '04 it...

That isnt going to happen, Stafford will definitely come out, if he's going to get beat up he might as well get paid for it.

soybean
09-28-2008, 01:16 PM

I really like Daniels as a pro prospect. I know the knock against spread QBs, but thats why you scout the individual over the stereotype. Reminds me alot of Drew Brees. He's short but his physical tools are good enough to succeed in the NFL, and he just seems like one of those cerebral QBs. He definitely puts in his work. Kinda similar to Kellen Clemens as a prospect actually...

problem is drew brees is 6-0 whereas chase daniels is a little bit more like 5-10

Race for the Heisman
09-28-2008, 01:17 PM
I think Derrick Williams has shown that he at least deserves to be a mid-round prospect, not the potential late-UDFA that was bandied about as a possibility if he and Penn State had a poor season.

Daryll Clark is probably worth a late-round look for someone a la Dennis Dixon.

Chris Wells looked fine. Obviously injuries will still be a concern, but if it was in fact turf toe (have they come out and said what it was?) he came back relatively quickly. We know he'll play through pain as evidenced by last season so I don't think the injury affects his stock too much.

Richard Dickson reminds me of Jacob Tamme.

Some of my other thoughts have already been voiced, so I'll leave them out.

BuddyCHRIST
09-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Someone has said it before, but there's a reason Drew Brees is the only person people bring up when talking about 6'0" QB's. Anyways, the more I see Stafford the more I have no doubt that he will be an elite QB in the league. His arm is truly rare, and even though his % is low he has great accuracy and can make every throw. He's so much like Cutler its scary.

underscore
09-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Daryll Clark is a redshirt junior (at the start of the season, he was technically classified as a senior since he was a non-qualifier, but he's on pace to graduate, so he'll get his 4th year of eligibility and return next year).

Williams hasn't appeared fast to me, either, but last night he blew past the entire Illinois kick return team for a 94 yd TD. He had guys on his tail, but neither could make up the ground to get him.

keylime_5
09-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Charles Scott is better than Chris Wells.

Andre Smith is a beast

Antoine Caldwell is beastlier(new word of the day) just in a less impactful and important position

The End!

you are so full of it, beanie is far and away the most talented back in the country. Our rushing yards per game are over 100 yards higher with him in the offense. I wouldn't trade him for 2 Charles Scotts. I can guarantee you every nfl scout in the world would agree. Nice to know we have mark may or kirk herbstreit or whoever posting on these boards.

SenorGato
09-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Someone has said it before, but there's a reason Drew Brees is the only person people bring up when talking about 6'0" QB's. Anyways, the more I see Stafford the more I have no doubt that he will be an elite QB in the league. His arm is truly rare, and even though his % is low he has great accuracy and can make every throw. He's so much like Cutler its scary.

So true. But you never know with QBs...for all we know Daniels finds two franchises willing to work with him like the Chargers and Saints were with Brees...QB development is as much the NFL franchises job as it is the individuals job early on...its when the individual starts to click and understand that he shows just what his upside is.

I could see Daniels as a 3rd round pick, but theres a good chance he falls to the 4th and even 5th round...

keylime_5
09-28-2008, 02:00 PM
problem is drew brees is 6-0 whereas chase daniels is a little bit more like 5-10

that plus drew's accuracy is not as much a product of the short passes that the spread offense uses as it is that he is just a really accurate passer all over the field.

keylime_5
09-28-2008, 02:01 PM
So true. But you never know with QBs...for all we know Daniels finds two franchises willing to work with him like the Chargers and Saints were with Brees...QB development is as much the NFL franchises job as it is the individuals job early on...its when the individual starts to click and understand that he shows just what his upside is.

I could see Daniels as a 3rd round pick, but theres a good chance he falls to the 4th and even 5th round...

i really got bashed when I said that this summer. good to see people have seen the light.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-28-2008, 02:03 PM
that plus drew's accuracy is not as much a product of the short passes that the spread offense uses as it is that he is just a really accurate passer all over the field.

From what I've seen, Daniels is very accurate in the intermediate and deep passing game. Obviously, he's worked out the timing of those routes and his receivers, but that in itself shows considerable committment.

I've been vocal about Daniels. I like his chances in the NFL. If he's there in the 3rd round, I'd take him no question.

soybean
09-28-2008, 02:08 PM
like D-unit said, he lines up in punt formation to make his throws.

im not saying he's not an OK prospect but he does not belong in the 1st round.

P-L
09-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Taylor had a good game. Not to mention it was he who stood up at halftime and demanded his team play better. They were down 19-0 at the half and won the game. I don't see any way he falls to the third.
Geo makes a point though. Taylor isn't much more explosive than he was last year. He does have a lot more stamina, but so does the whole team. The defensive line as a whole was just constantly blowing back Wisconsin's offensive line in the 4th quarter. Taylor had an excellent game overall and has turned into a leader after almost quitting this off-season, but he lacks the explosiveness to get consistent penetration, especially when he's being double teamed. I don't see him as a 3rd Round pick, at least without knowing his workout numbers, but I don't buy him as a 1st Round pick either. I think he's firmly in the 2nd Round mix right now.

djp
09-29-2008, 01:32 AM
I didn't feel like this deserved its own topic, and Geo, I'm not pointing my finger at you by any means, this just seems to be the best general "prospect talk" thread.

One thing has really bothered me lately with the influx of new posters trying to evaluate prospects.

DO NOT FALL IN LOVE OR TRASH A KID OVER ONE GAME!

How many times have we seen this happen? This is such a hard habit to break, hell, even pro scouts have problems with it (Vernon Gholston vs Michigan) at times.

This is why I think Scott is such a reliable draft expert, much more than everyone else. He has always taken in the full body of work into context.

bearsfan_51
09-29-2008, 01:53 AM
The Lions will finish with a worse record than the Chiefs, making the Stafford debate null and void. I can't see the Lions passing on a QB if they have the #2 pick. That franchise needs a new face as bad as the Falcons needed Matt Ryan.

The real question is if Marc Bulger can spend the rest of the season getting his career back on track. They are flying towards the #1 pick at breakneck speed. One would assume they would look offensive tackle, but ya never know..

DiG
09-29-2008, 09:07 AM
DHB is a playmaking machine. Every time he touches the ball there is all likely hood that he will take it to the house. Unfortunately, the MD quarterbacks are complete garbage and they can't get him the number of touches that they need to but I've watched every game and he is straight nasty. I've seen at least once a game where he has the DB beat by 4 steps and the pass is underthrown 8-10 yards where it could have easily been a TD.