PDA

View Full Version : Michael Johnson

adschofield
09-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Anyone want to give me their thoughts on this guy? Has he been producing? What is his game like? Where do you think his stock will be in April? And how much of a risk is he?

Vikes99ej
09-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Calais Campbell.

Hype based purely off of size.

I thought he would have a big year too.

DragonFireKai
09-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Anyone want to give me their thoughts on this guy? Has he been producing? What is his game like? Where do you think his stock will be in April? And how much of a risk is he?

He showed his first signs of life this past weekend. Got his first sack against MSU, and blocked a kick. Before that, he had done absolutely nothing.

Turtlepower
09-28-2008, 06:58 PM
He needs a more unique name.

SuperKevin
09-28-2008, 07:00 PM
He's fairly disruptive at the line of scrimmage due to his size but he doesn't have that go to pass rush move he needs to succeed at the next level.

P-L
09-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Calais Campbell.

Hype based purely off of size.
Calais Campbell without the production maybe. Campbell had 20.5 TFL and 10.5 sacks as a sophomore and 12.5 TFL and 6.5 sacks as a junior. Michael Johnson has 11.5 sacks in his career. He's done a whole lot of nothing since his sophomore year.

He could still turn it around, but if the draft were tomorrow then I wouldn't touch this guy in the 1st Round. I might not take him in the 2nd Round either.

oldLibid21
10-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Yep. I think this guy is way overrated. People were saying the same things about Jamaal Anderson "he's got the tools, but his productivity is lacking". And I'll quote someone from another message board in which I really think deserves be quoted for truth "Johnson doesn't look like a first rounder, he only has 1.5 sacks this year and has never had a year with more than 5.5 so what makes him so much better than Anderson. Anderson had 13.5 sacks in one season, playing against better comp!".

SuperKevin
10-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Michael Johnson's draft stock depends entirely on the Combine and postseason workouts. That will be the difference between a top 10 pick and an early 2nd rounder

David
10-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Michael Johnson's draft stock depends entirely on the Combine and postseason workouts. That will be the difference between a top 10 pick and an early 2nd rounderSadly it's almost always the case. It should be determined on the field IMO.

SuperKevin
10-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Sadly it's almost always the case. It should be determined on the field IMO.

True but some people have potential and need better coaching to develop it.

djp
10-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Michael Johnson's draft stock depends entirely on the Combine and postseason workouts. That will be the difference between a top 10 pick and an early 2nd rounder

If he plays like this, he will have to run a 4.3 and have 50 reps to be a top 10 pick.

Completely invisible.

SuperKevin
10-04-2008, 11:56 AM
If he plays like this, he will have to run a 4.3 and have 50 reps to be a top 10 pick.

Completely invisible.

He's blocked a few kicks hasn't he?

AkiliSmith
10-04-2008, 12:03 PM
He's blocked a few kicks hasn't he?

Here are his listed stats from the NCAA

8 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, 3 passes defended, 1 blocked kick, 0 hurries

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2008&org=255&player=93

princefielder28
10-04-2008, 12:55 PM
The physical tools this kid brings to the table are comparable to a high first round type player, but at some point he has to bring the productivity. Granted coaching may be part of the problem but his teammates Vance Walker and Darryl Richard have had much better past and present success. I think his best situation will come in a 3-4 defense because he has not shown a consistent ability to get the QB off the edge and his abilities may be best utilized by standing up

Paranoidmoonduck
10-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Personally, I haven't been the least impressed with Michael Johnson this season. For a senior, it's a terribly disapointing campaign.

That said, he has tremendous physical skills and he sticks out of the field because of his great build. Realistically, it would only really take a good game here or there in the latter part of this season to get back the possibility of being a moderately early 1st rounder. NFl teams are willing to accept inconsistency from their defensive end's college careers if the tools are there, and Johnson fits that profile.

My issue is that he just doesn't play with the intensity you want to see.

Malaka
10-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Even with his lack of production, there goes the that P word (potential) that will make him a late first round pick. He still is a top 5 DE as a prospect but not as high as he once was, Selvie as of right now looks to be the top DE.

BamaFalcon59
10-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Yep. I think this guy is way overrated. People were saying the same things about Jamaal Anderson "he's got the tools, but his productivity is lacking". And I'll quote someone from another message board in which I really think deserves be quoted for truth "Johnson doesn't look like a first rounder, he only has 1.5 sacks this year and has never had a year with more than 5.5 so what makes him so much better than Anderson. Anderson had 13.5 sacks in one season, playing against better comp!".

Jamaal had like 6 sacks as a sophmore and like 13 as a junior. He had plenty of productivity.

Brent
10-04-2008, 03:37 PM
He needs a more unique name.
Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

MidwayMonster31
10-04-2008, 03:40 PM
I don't think he fits Georgia Tech's defense. He's enough of a liability against the run that he didn't start last year. He has to go into a 3-4 defense to have a chance in the NFL.

illmatic74
10-04-2008, 08:39 PM
People love to kill Jaamal Anderson because of the 0 sacks but even though he didn't have a good rookie year it wasn't that bad. He was good against the run and was tied with Gaines Adams with the rookie lead for hurries.

oldLibid21
10-04-2008, 11:40 PM
People love to kill Jaamal Anderson because of the 0 sacks but even though he didn't have a good rookie year it wasn't that bad. He was good against the run and was tied with Gaines Adams with the rookie lead for hurries.

Jamaal Anderson this year has looked atrocious. He got man-handled last week by the third string guard...

giantsfan
10-04-2008, 11:48 PM

Except Jamal was a beast at arkansas his junior year. I still think with more refinement and weight loss, to aid explosion, he could still be a beast and would really excell in the Tuck role on a defense.

STARHEATHER
10-04-2008, 11:56 PM
reminds me of jarvis moss. he looks like a situational pass rusher at this point. campbell is 290 and hes about 260 so i dont see that as a good comprison. i havent gotten him on tape but scuttlebut says it hasnt been too great. situational pass rushers should get lots of sacks

robert pancake gallery
10-05-2008, 01:43 PM
i don't think he will do anything, hes not getting sacks against a weak acc... how is he going to magically turn it around against SEC players in the nfl