PDA

View Full Version : THE Free Agency Thread

Shiver
03-02-2007, 02:25 AM
So we won't have to make a billion threads about different things, let's make this one, the one.

First I will start with the AJC article:

Spending Spree not likely (http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/03/01/0302freeagents.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21)

Falcons' spending spree not likely
Limited cap space limits free agency goals

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 03/02/07

By noon Friday, the Falcons will know whether they will be players in free agency or if they'll be anxious observers, waiting a few days, maybe even weeks, for prices — and players — to get in line with their budget.

Atlanta entered the free-agent period, which started just after midnight Friday, with roughly $10 million to spend under the $109 million salary cap. Some of that money has been and will continue to be manufactured by the release of veterans who don't fit new coach Bobby Petrino's plans or the Falcons' salary structure.

"For us, it all depends on how the market plays out," president and general manager Rich McKay said. "You always go in with a couple guys as targets that you would like to take care of early in free agency, but you have until the market unfolds over the first 12 hours. That usually is when you see if you want to be a player.

"If the market comes back and we're not comfortable, we'll go back, take our time and add more players rather than fewer players."

McKay said the Falcons would build their roster through the draft, an area that has been hit-or-miss the past three seasons. Atlanta has the 10th overall pick in the April draft.

"My theory has been, and it's not my theory alone, but most teams follow the thinking, you don't build a team through free agency," McKay said. "It's an opportunity to add players that complement what you've built as a base through the draft. There occasionally will be opportunities to get a player like John Abraham at a position where we didn't have any players.

"You do that as the exception to the rule. You build a team with the draft. You develop those players and then re-sign them."

Patrick Kerney, a player the Falcons drafted in the first round in 1998, was not re-signed and hit the open market at midnight. Though Kerney, the top defensive end on the market, said he thinks his days with the Falcons are over, McKay said the team has a standing offer to Kerney.

Fullback Justin Griffith and wide receiver Ashley Lelie appear to be headed elsewhere, though, as the Falcons have not been as proactive in trying to retain their services.

As for free agency, the Falcons likely will try to upgrade the offensive line, the secondary and possibly wide receiver and running back. McKay would not discuss the team's free-agent targets.

Guard Eric Steinbach, who played in Cincinnati under new Falcons offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, is considered one of the top free agents at any position. Other available offensive linemen include Kris Dielman (San Diego), Leonard Davis (Arizona) and Luke Petitgout (Giants). The Falcons expressed some interest in Petitgout last offseason.

Though it has yet to be determined if Petrino and new defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer plan to keep second-year player Jimmy Williams at cornerback or move him to safety, Buffalo cornerback Nate Clements is available and could be a huge improvement opposite Pro Bowl left cornerback DeAngelo Hall.

With Lelie's likely departure, Atlanta could try to sign Philadelphia's Donte Stallworth or St. Louis' Kevin Curtis,. The Saints also released longtime standout Joe Horn.

Petrino has said he also would like to add a bone-crushing fullback — Griffith was more effective making plays in the open field. Baltimore's Ovie Mughelli, a teeth-rattler with solid hands, fits what Petrino seeks out of that position.

iloxygenil
03-02-2007, 02:32 AM
Well...I'm just glad this part of the year is back again, I'm really ready for the draft now =)

Shiver
03-02-2007, 02:38 AM
I heard today, (I forget whether it was ESPN or NFL Network) Atlanta will go after Ovie Mughelli, the Fullback for the Ravens. He is a decent pass catcher, but the 255-lbs sledgehammer Bobby Petrino wants in his Fullback.

iloxygenil
03-02-2007, 03:32 AM
Sounds good to me.

Shiver
03-02-2007, 03:49 AM
It should help on goal-line, 3rd and 1, situations. Where Justin Griffith wasn't sufficient at.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-02-2007, 04:59 AM
How awesome would it be if we could bring Stallworth to the ATL? I'm in love with the thought.

d34ng3l021
03-02-2007, 09:57 AM
How awesome would it be if we could bring Stallworth to the ATL? I'm in love with the thought.

He seems like another lost cause in Atlanta.

iloxygenil
03-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I know he has been a baller, but do we really want to have him be our #1? I mean if we can, sure, that'd be fine, but I don't wanna overpay him. I'd rather move up to get Calvin.

scar988
03-02-2007, 12:20 PM
names I'm hearing about coming to or coming back to the ATL from my guys:

QB Anthony Wright
RB TJ Duckett
FB Ovie Mughelli
WR Joe Horn
OG Eric Steinbach
OL Nat Dorsey

Shiver
03-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Falcons interested in former Saints WR Horn

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 03/02/07

The Atlanta Falcons might be on the path to bolstering their maligned wide receiver unit and a void in veteran leadership on offense by acquiring free agent wide receiver Joe Horn, who was released by the New Orleans Saints earlier this week.

The Falcons and Horn's agent, Ralph Vitolo, entered into discussions just after the free-agency period started at 12:01 a.m. Friday, according to Vitolo. While contract talks have not been broached, the sides are trying to set up a visit for Horn so he can meet with the new coach Bobby Petrino and his staff, Vitolo said.

That meeting could come this weekend.

"We're not sure where it's going yet," Vitolo said. "They were the first team I spoke with. He'd be a perfect fit with those young guys. You team him with Alge Crumpler and Michael Vick and he might be the ingredient that helps them get to the Super Bowl. We are very interested and they seem to be too."

Vitolo said Horn, 35, and Vick have been friends for years and that relationship could factor into Horn's possible union with his longtime NFC South rival.

Jacksonville, Miami, Cleveland and Green Bay were some of the other teams to have reached out to Horn, but Atlanta is at the top of Horn's list, Vitolo said.

"Things have been very positive," Vitolo said of talks with the Falcons.

Interesting. Joe Horn would be an awesome addition. Not just on the field, but he could mentor Roddy and MJ as well.

SimonRath
03-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Would you guys want TJ Duckett back... might be interesting

Shiver
03-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Ovie Mughelli has signed with the team, 6-years, 18$ Million dollars. He is a 255-lbs sledgehammer. Another example of the transition from Jim Mora's finesse (Griffith) to Petrino's physical (Mughelli).

SimonRath
03-02-2007, 03:19 PM
yea GREAT sign... hopefull he dont bust like Hartwell did.. doubt it.. imagine the holes Noorwood and Dunn will get with a 255 FB instead of a 235 FB(actually more like a RB)

ATLDirtyBirds
03-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Living in NJ I didn't catch that many Southern games. How is Joe Horn? Is he still capable of being our go to guy?

Shiver
03-02-2007, 03:25 PM
His only problems have been injuries. He's still be productive, when he's on the field. The biggest thing Horn would bring is a leader. As well as a mentor to our young and developing receivers, also Michael Vick.

SimonRath
03-02-2007, 03:27 PM
no i dont think Horn can be our go to guy.. He has lost a step but would be a GREAt mentor to Jenkins and White.. I think Roddy White will have a break out year this year with Petrino making Vick call audibles and throw more

iloxygenil
03-02-2007, 03:51 PM
I would LOVE to get Joe Horn. I know he's not a #1 WR, but having a VET leader like that, that's what we have been lacking, we tried to put people into that role, like Finneran, well we all know he's never led the league in receiving or been to the Pro Bowl, we could now finally get one of those for a decent price, and use him in the 4 WR sets and we know he knows how to get open, and Vick's chemistry with him was evident in the pro bowl a couple years back. Could be pretty nasty. Then we could bring in a WR in the draft as well to learn from Horn. If we get Steinbach too I'm going to be feeling REALLY good about this.

scar988
03-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Horn is easily a #1 WR. Also, it's looking very likely for us to not only get Mughelli (officially we have him) but Horn AND Duckett for under a total of 3M this year.

Shiver
03-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Duckett would be welcomed back from me. He was a stud runner in Dan Reeves' traditional offense. Following Mughelli we could actually run in goal-line, 3rd and short, situations. Unlike last year, which was a painful sight to behold. The team dropped eleven slots in Offense (Points), due to the lack of punch in those situations. You cannot win when your rushing attack is based in the shotgun veer.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-02-2007, 04:29 PM
I could definately live with Duckett, Horn, Mughelli, and a Steinbach.

Shiver
03-02-2007, 04:35 PM
It seems like the team is going to address Offense via free agency. Defense in the draft.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Makes sense. The draft has more defensive talent than offense IMO. (This of course considering Calvin, Thomas, and Peterson are almost definately going to be gone before we pick).

Shiver
03-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Makes sense. The draft has more defensive talent than offense IMO. (This of course considering Calvin, Thomas, and Peterson are almost definately going to be gone before we pick).

O-Line will probably be the only offense the team addresses in the draft.

scar988
03-02-2007, 04:38 PM
it's not surpising. don't be surprised if a Nat Dorsey signing comes out of nowhere the way this Mughelli signing did.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-02-2007, 04:42 PM
How good is Nat? I've never heard of him, or I forgot about him.

Shiver
03-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Awesome

5 Bargains, 5 Stay Aways of FA (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6519368)

AVOID

Patrick Kerney, defensive end, Falcons
With Dwight Freeney and Justin Smith getting the franchise tag, the available pool of defensive ends is shallow. That means teams looking to add a defensive end might overpay for Kerney, thinking he's their only option. That would be a mistake. Last season Kerney, a nine-year veteran, looked like he had lost a step. His annual sack total has declined from 13 in 2004 to 6.5 in 2005 to 4.5 last year, when he was limited to nine games because of a torn pectoral muscle. The team that signs Kerney needs to understand that the dominant pass rusher from 2004 is long gone.

Ashley Lelie, receiver, Falcons
Lelie's speed makes him attractive to teams that like to throw the deep ball, but he doesn't have good hands, doesn't run good routes, and doesn't pick up tough yardage over the middle. Expecting Lelie to be anything more than an extra receiver to come in on third-and-long is expecting too much.

BARGAIN

Ovie Mughelli, fullback, Ravens
The 255-pound Mughelli is a ferocious blocker and an excellent special teams player, and toward the end of last season he even showed that he can be effective with the ball in his hands, becoming a threat as a receiver out of the backfield and an occasional runner. Fullbacks don't get much attention, but the team that acquires Mughelli's services will make its running backs very happy.

scar988
03-02-2007, 05:36 PM
How good is Nat? I've never heard of him, or I forgot about him.

he was damn good in college but never got a true chance at the pro level. is a good pass blocker but is the powerful run blocker we need at LG or LT. he played LT in college and shut down Julius Peppers whenever they played.

iloxygenil
03-02-2007, 05:38 PM
well...our top OL picks are GONE, which REALLY sucks kinda pisses me off. We're going to have to hope for some gems in the draft. Brandon Frye is my pick.

Shiver
03-02-2007, 05:39 PM
he was damn good in college but never got a true chance at the pro level. is a good pass blocker but is the powerful run blocker we need at LG or LT. he played LT in college and shut down Julius Peppers whenever they played.

Then why hasn't he done anything in O-Line starved Cleveland? It isn't like they have a plethora of stud Lineman, or anything.

scar988
03-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Then why hasn't he done anything in O-Line starved Cleveland? It isn't like they have a plethora of stud Lineman, or anything.

because they have some solid tackles and they won't give him a chance at LG. they do have some solid guys there at tackle in Shaffar and Tucker but he started the last 2 games at RT and is their starting RT unless someone signs him away or unless they spend a top pick on a OT.

D-Rod
03-04-2007, 02:56 PM
delighted about mughelli, FB is a hugely underrated position. being a probowl alternate to Neal is no shame. might be a tad pricey, but this market is ridiculous. sounds like we got massively outpriced for the OGs. $50 mill for both Steinbach and Dockery?

I'd love Horn at WR, and Grant at FS. Rod Hood at NB would be good too. Still have the problem at LT and LG though...

Shiver
03-04-2007, 05:22 PM
I'd love Horn at WR, and Grant at FS. Rod Hood at NB would be good too. Still have the problem at LT and LG though...

LDE as well.

mikevick7owns
03-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Damion McIntosh, left tackle, Dolphins
McIntosh is a versatile lineman with experience at both guard and tackle. He doesn't blow anyone off the line, but he's an effective blocker who can be counted on to be a solid starter. He'll likely command less money than Dielman, Petitgout, Steinbach and Davis.

very interesting...

id defiantely sign him if hes still available. then we could get an OT or an OG in the 2nd, because he has versatility at both positions.

i love the mughelli signing and the wilkins signing. hopefully we can snag reggie kelly, chris draft, deon grant and roderick hood. then id be done in free agency i think.

if we got grant and hood, would we release webster?

we should also cut gandy, 4 million dollars more cap space if we do.

and beverly, one dimensional player that doesnt fit in petrinos system.

D-Rod
03-05-2007, 03:57 AM
McIntosh is already signed, I'm fairly sure - also for a hefty amount.

But I agree, signing Grant, Hood, Kelly, Horn, and possibly Draft if he's cheap, would round out a solid FA. It's looking more and more likely that we're going to have to live with Gandy/Omiyale at LT, unless we think we can get a starter in the first couple of rounds of the draft.

We definitely have to address LDE in the first two rounds.

If we do get those guys in FA, I'd expect a LDE, LT and LG in the first three rounds, probably in that order.

Shiver
03-05-2007, 03:41 PM
From Rotoworld:

Free agent Joe Horn will make a formal visit to Atlanta on Monday night.

Hopefully he will be a Falcon by Tuesday.

D-Rod
03-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Matt Lehr released. Good riddance. It's bad enough to cheat, but to be suck even when cheating is unforgiveable.

Anyone know how well Floyd Womack actually played last year? I'm of the understanding that he was solid, but not much more. He'd be an upgrade on Lehr, but I'm not sure I'd want to be serving him up with an overly large or long term contract.

iloxygenil
03-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Yes sir, now we gotta get rid of Gandy, and Webster (unless he will restructure, he's too expensive to be a Nickel corner) He's gotta go.

D-Rod
03-05-2007, 04:29 PM
That's interesting, apparently we're looking at Will James (used to be Will Peterson). He's a bump and run corner, who's had major injury problems. Apparently the deal would be a vet minimum deal for one year, to give him the opportunity to prove his health. Could work out well, he'd be an excellent nickel if healthy, and we wouldn't have much to lose with the right deal.

see ajc.

Shiver
03-05-2007, 04:31 PM
If we sign James, (Peterson), that would allow the team to release Webster.

D-Rod
03-05-2007, 04:45 PM
If we sign James, (Peterson), that would allow the team to release Webster.

Well, possibly, but not necessarily. I'm not sure we could count on James to be fit all year, so we'd need someone who we'd be comfortable playing NB if James was injured.

A CB stable of Hall, Williams, James and Hood/Cash would be fairly strong.

Shiver
03-05-2007, 05:01 PM
James, Mughelli, Womack and Horn would be fine midrange acquisitions that would really help the team. Ignoring the overpriced high end options is a wise strategy.

Shiver
03-05-2007, 06:47 PM
The Falcons released guard Matt Lehr on Monday, the first sign of a change along the offensive line. Lehr is the fifth starter to be released or depart via free agency since Friday, the start of the free agency.

Defensive end Patrick Kerney, wide receiver Ashley Lelie, fullback Justin Griffith and linebacker Ed Hartwell are all gone. Lelie, who was an unrestricted free agent, signed a two-year deal with the 49ers Monday.

Lehr, signed as a free agent in 2005, started at left guard the past two seasons but was suspended for four games last season for violating the NFL's steroid policy.

Coach Bobby Petrino said he will beef up the Falcons' undersized line, which was designed to execute the zone-blocking scheme implemented by former offensive line coach Alex Gibbs. Petrino plans to utilize more conventional run- and pass-blocking schemes, where bigger players can forcefully create space.

President and general manager Rich McKay said the shift to bigger-bodied players won't take place all at once, and that the team feels it can acquire players over the next two years to fit Petrino's scheme. There is no need to rush to sign offensive linemen, McKay said, citing the team's mid-summer trade last year to land starting left tackle Wayne Gandy.

Atlanta met with veteran Seattle Seahawks guard Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack (6 feet 4, 330 pounds) over the weekend, but no deal was reached. Tyson Clabo, who started 10 games last season, P.J. Alexander and Quinn Ojinnaka, a rookie in 2006 who is expected to challenge for a starting job, could be used at left guard.

In San Francisco, the 49ers reached a tentative agreement during the weekend with Lelie, a deep threat who had a disappointing season with the Falcons, catching just 28 passes for 430 yards.

The 49ers believe Lelie can return to the form he showed during four seasons in Denver, when he had a total 3,003 yards receiving and 12 touchdowns while twice leading the NFL in yards per catch.

In other developments, cornerback William James — formerly Will Peterson — will visit with the Falcons on Wednesday, according to his agent, Ron Slavin. James spent part of last season with Philadelphia after a back injury derailed his career with the New York Giants.

"I think they're serious about signing him," Slavin said. "A Bobby Petrino defense is a bump-and-run defense, and that's Will's forte."

James (6-0, 200 pounds), scheduled to visit New Orleans today, wants to sign a one-year deal and prove that he is healthy, Slavin said.

AJC Link (http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/03/05/0305lehr.html)

Nice

georgiafan
03-05-2007, 08:36 PM
any chance we go after randy mcmichael?

iloxygenil
03-05-2007, 11:38 PM
I hope not, we need the bocking TE now.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Right now we are talking to Joe Horn, Will James (Peterson), Toniu Fonoti and Floyd "porkchop" Womack to my knowledge. Now that I have the power, I made this a sticky, locking the superfluous threads.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Supposedly the team is going to hold out on signing Joe Horn. That is, until the team figures how it will allocate it's remaining 6$ Million in space.

iloxygenil
03-07-2007, 12:10 AM
Good deal. I like that you're the team leader. Anyway, I wish we would go ahead and lock him up...

Shiver
03-07-2007, 12:11 AM
Yeah I have to get to work on organizing this forum. Right now it's a bit garbled. I plan on eventually making a Falcons '07 Draft thread, so we don't need a billion threads on individual prospects.

iloxygenil
03-07-2007, 12:13 AM
Alright...but I hate threads like that most of the time. Because they become too much information in 1 thread and stuff gets lost and some of it is really good information.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 12:14 AM
I know. I was going to hold off until near the draft. That's when the threads will become overkill.

iloxygenil
03-07-2007, 02:07 AM
Yeah, I think maybe if you made one a little more specific instead of so broad, unless you can make like sub folders that'd be sick. Like,
Atlanta Falcons > Draft > Prospects
Atlanta Falcons > Draft > Draft Day
Atlanta Falcons > Draft > Combine
Atlanta Falcons > Free Agency
Atlanta Falcons > General

Something like that. Would be sweet if that was possible.

d34ng3l021
03-07-2007, 02:36 AM
Yeah, I think maybe if you made one a little more specific instead of so broad, unless you can make like sub folders that'd be sick. Like,
Atlanta Falcons > Draft > Prospects
Atlanta Falcons > Draft > Draft Day
Atlanta Falcons > Draft > Combine
Atlanta Falcons > Free Agency
Atlanta Falcons > General

Something like that. Would be sweet if that was possible.

That is good. Very organized way to handle all the information.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 10:02 AM
I don't have THAT much control.. ha ha

Shiver
03-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Joe Horn is going to meet with GB later this week.
The team is interested in Jay Feely.

GB may be willing to pay more for Horn than we can. They have a lot more cap room.

As for Feely, he's an upgrade over what we have.

iloxygenil
03-07-2007, 10:26 AM
I love Feely. He's a baller. We all hated on him, but he's been very good, and the season he was here he had one of the highest percentages in the league. I'd love to have him back, I always loved him tackling people on Special Teams.

As far as Horn goes, I guess the staff wasn't impressed with him, and Green Bay will overpay for him, they have TONS to spend and haven't spent anything yet.

DraftMichaelHuff
03-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Signed a guy called lewis sanders, CB formerly of the texans, i like his size and speed bye bye webster and rossom.
http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=18408

Shiver
03-07-2007, 03:36 PM
I like it as a depth signing.

DraftMichaelHuff
03-07-2007, 03:41 PM
nfl.com says he was born in 1978 making him 29 which is fine, now if he is the experienced nikel, id like a speedy cb with decent size and return abilities who grades out in rd 4-5 suggestions

edit: i found 3 guys who seem to fit the bill perfectly according the scouting reports
kenny scott g tech- return experience, upside, ran a 4.39
tarrel brown texas- physical, agressive, return man ran a 4.45
jonathan wade-physical, good tackler, no experience as a return man but ran a 4.36 at the combine
all 3 would be great dime backers, and future nickel backers with chris cash aka "glass arms" as even a 5th cb on a vet min

wow tonui fotioni (sp) is still only 25 lol ive been signing him on madden ever since ive first started buyin the game in 03 so i figured he was 30+. Id love him for the right price as a backup to forney and porkchop

iloxygenil
03-07-2007, 04:01 PM
I really like that CB we signed. I really do. Now if we could bring in that guy from Cal Poly SLO. That'd be amazing in the very late rounds.

DraftMichaelHuff
03-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Jonathan Wade and Kenny Scott in the 4th are looking real good to me right now

iloxygenil
03-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Josh Wilson wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Falcons | J. Horn agrees
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 14:31:00 -0800

ESPNews reports the Atlanta Falcons have agreed to a deal with WR Joe Horn (Saints). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

DraftMichaelHuff
03-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Josh Wilson wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

right you are! my only concern with him is the chances of him still being there in the 4th. here are my characteristics for a cb n rd 4 in this draft
speed
physical/ tackling
return abilities
adequate weight the frame to ad more weight

John wilson Kenny scott Terel brown and Jon wade fit those categories perfectly, wade is the only one who Scott (wright) doesnt highlight his return abilities but he is the fastest out of the four and he mentions numerious times his physicallness and strenghts in man coverage

Shiver
03-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Now we've made three signings. All mid-range picks. I like this strategy much better than going after the premier talents at high prices, like the previous years.

DraftMichaelHuff
03-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Hopefully he hasn't taken up all our cap room cause id still like
Floyyd Womack and/or tonui fotioni (sp)

Shiver
03-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Now the Falcons are denying;

"It's not done yet,'' Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts said on Wednesday night. "We haven't signed a contract, so he's not an Atlanta Falcon. We haven't reached an agreement, so he's not an Atlanta Falcon.''

It sounds like Michael Smith jumped the gun.

SimonRath
03-07-2007, 06:34 PM
great, so the site on espn is wrong

Shiver
03-07-2007, 06:35 PM
ESPN jumped the gun. It is still presumed he will be a Falcon. They are still finalizing the contract now.

iloxygenil
03-07-2007, 06:47 PM
How pissed would I be if he's not one now? lol

scar988
03-07-2007, 07:09 PM
it would be great if he was one though. our WR depth would look like this:
WRX - Jenkins/Finneran/Elliott
WRZ - White/Horn/Jennings

SimonRath
03-07-2007, 07:11 PM
hot bad.. Horn and Finneran backin up our young guns

thefalconer
03-07-2007, 07:23 PM
i'm pretty sure he'll get signed eventually. just the fact that he is still negotiating shows he wants to be a falcon. you guys really think finneran will be behind roddy?

EDIT
Packers | Horn expected to visit with team
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 13:19:24 -0800

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, reports free agent WR Joe Horn (Saints) is expected to visit with the Green Bay Packers at some point this week.

ok. guess i could be wrong.

iloxygenil
03-07-2007, 07:46 PM
This was before the deal with the Falcons. He has agreed they just have to get the contract now.

thefalconer
03-07-2007, 08:08 PM
This was before the deal with the Falcons. He has agreed they just have to get the contract now.

ah now i see. my bad.

i'm hoping the one thing the wrs can learn from him is to be more physical after the catch and have some confidence and swagger that wrs should have. i didn't any of that last season.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Gil Brandt MP3 (http://www.zshare.net/audio/gil_late_hits-mar-07-mp3.html)

Interesting take, especially on why the Falcons' passing attack has struggled in the past.

D-Rod
03-08-2007, 01:02 AM
finally, it's official: joe horn is a falcon.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/03/07/0308falcons.html

has comment from blank, so must be official. multi years, at least three, but only $2mill in guarantees. that means we've really limited our exposure even if things don't work out. that's actually a phenomenal deal in this market, even if the non-guaranteed money seems large when it is released.

personally, i think it's a great signing, and he'll give Vick a reliable target and the young'uns a mentor they can respect.

Petrino, Jackson and Horn will finally get the best out of Jenkins and White - and therefore Vick.

SimonRath
03-08-2007, 06:21 AM
finally, we all knew it was gonna happen, but now its official..
He'll be a great target for Vick, and hopefully he trusts him like he trusts Crumpler..... can you say BREAKOUT year for VICK

D-Rod
03-08-2007, 06:28 AM
finally, we all knew it was gonna happen, but now its official..
He'll be a great target for Vick, and hopefully he trusts him like he trusts Crumpler..... can you say BREAKOUT year for VICK

Well, let's hope so, but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. WHile the WR corps should be improved, we should not forget that it is a new system, and while we may hope that Vick will settle into it immediately - partly because (shock, horror) it will actually be designed around him - it is not really fair that we expect it of him.

We shall see. As things go, I am hopeful.

SimonRath
03-08-2007, 06:29 AM
who would you gauys rather have???

FREE AGENTS::::
Deon Grant
Gibril Wilson
Deon Grant
Jordan Babineaux

DRAFT::::::
LaRon Landry
Reggie Nelson
Mchael Griffin
Brandon Meriwether
Eric Weddle

Mr. Myogi
03-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Draft: Reggie Nelson
I like Laron Landry but he seems to remind me too much of Chris Crocker. Good tackler with a knack of getting beat deep.

FA: Ken Hamlin
He wasn't on your list, but he's a young vet who can give us FS help/depth being that Crocker will now be backing up Lawyer Milloy at SS.

thefalconer
03-08-2007, 09:45 AM
i would want hamlin if he didn't demand too much money. if not we take a safety in the second.

i've seen babineaux play and he's pretty physical but other than that how is he in coverage?

Mr. Myogi
03-08-2007, 10:26 AM
i would want hamlin if he didn't demand too much money. if not we take a safety in the second.

i've seen babineaux play and he's pretty physical but other than that how is he in coverage?

Babs is not that descent in coverage. Remember he's a converted Safety. He's a true LB, so in reality he thinks 'Hit First Cover Second'

D-Rod
03-08-2007, 12:35 PM
well, that sucks. apparently the official contract for horn is 4 years, $19m, $7.5m guaranteed. that's a lot of guaranteed money for a 35 year old. and that's a lot of our cap room gone...

i guess the restructuring starts now.

Shiver
03-08-2007, 04:04 PM
His contract is probably back-loaded. He's probably only going to be a 3-year Falcon. In actuality, this contract is not bad in contrast to some of the ridiculous contracts being thrown around.

Mr. Myogi
03-08-2007, 04:20 PM
His contract is probably back-loaded. He's probably only going to be a 3-year Falcon. In actuality, this contract is not bad in contrast to some of the ridiculous contracts being thrown around.

I agree SHIVER. I think it is back loaded as well with the possibility of a lot of bonuses and incentives. I'm very happy about this acquisition. He is only 2 years older than Kerney, who just received a 6 year deal worth double what we're giving HORN.

He is just what we needed. We are loaded with young WRs with no direction. Especially with the early acquisition of Fred Gibson, which I think will rejuvenate his career playing in front of his home town crowd again. He will challenge Jennings for that 5th WR spot.

Just put it like this: IT CAN'T POSSIBLY GET ANY WORST.

iloxygenil
03-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Fred Gibson is a Falcon now? Hrmm...I doubt he even makes the roster.

Shiver
03-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I doubt he beats out Adam Jennings. Just because Jennings provides ST versatility.

SimonRath
03-09-2007, 09:08 AM
I like the Gibson pick up.. he could eventually take the place of Finneran. Not very fast, but he plays a good all around game.. And the pick up of Horn and Gibson completely knocks out our Calvin Johnson dreams ha

scar988
03-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Gibson signing is not official yet.

D-Rod
03-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Gibson signing is not official yet.

he's officially signed up for camp, i believe, but not on the full roster; that's what i remember, at least.

Shiver
03-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Edwin Mulitalo has a visit scheduled for Atlanta. He is a 6'4" 350-lbs, 32-year old, Left Guard. I would love to add him, he is definitely a road grader. That would leave young depth as the only O-Line need on draft day, if they sign him.

Mr. Myogi
03-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Fred Gibson signed a camp contract back in Early Feb.. He wasn't active on an NFL roster which made him eligible to be signed. I think he will beat out Jennings. Jennings will take over as the full time KR/PR after the release/trade of Rossum, which I support 100%.

Anybody know if they retained YOUNGBLOOD?
I know Jamin Elliot will also make the squad which would give the Falcons tons of descent receivers.
Horn
Finn
White
Jenkins
Jennings
Gibson
Elliott
Youngblood?

DraftMichaelHuff
03-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Edwin Mulitalo has a visit scheduled for Atlanta. He is a 6'4" 350-lbs, 32-year old, Left Guard. I would love to add him, he is definitely a road grader. That would leave young depth as the only O-Line need on draft day, if they sign him.

what about left tackle?

Shiver
03-09-2007, 05:41 PM
I think the team's plan is to keep Gandy around, hoping Omiyale can beat him out in camp. The only immediate need is a starting Left Guard, ideally a big mauler. Then the rest of the line re-bulk up, after four of them lost weight to play in Gibbs' scheme. Four of the current starters all started in traditional schemes, at heavier weight, before slimming down to fit into the new system that was implemented in '04. Though, McClure, Weiner, Gandy, are all old, Forney nearing 30, so young depth should be a concern.

D-Rod
03-10-2007, 05:50 AM
Mulitalo would be a great pick up, but we'll probably need to restructure a little to add him.

As for Horn, if it's true that it is $19mill, $7.5mill guaranteed in first two years, then i suspect that it will be a $3.5 mill cap hit for the first two years, then $6mill unguaranteed for the last two years. I'd be amazed if Horn wasn't just a two year falcon.

I'd like to add Levi Brown if we get #20ish for Schaub, but otherwise I agree that we will probably just be looking for depth. Fortunately, many people have commented that this is a good draft for OL depth.

SimonRath
03-10-2007, 12:30 PM
I saw on a mock that had the Falcons picking LaRon Landry in 1st round and Sydney Rice in 2nd round.. But i also saw that Griffin was there for us in the 2nd round.. would you guys like Landry and Griffin in our secondary? it will be young with Hall, Williams, Landry, Griffin but it would be great

Shiver
03-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Mulitalo would be a great pick up, but we'll probably need to restructure a little to add him.

As for Horn, if it's true that it is $19mill, $7.5mill guaranteed in first two years, then i suspect that it will be a $3.5 mill cap hit for the first two years, then $6mill unguaranteed for the last two years. I'd be amazed if Horn wasn't just a two year falcon.

I'd like to add Levi Brown if we get #20ish for Schaub, but otherwise I agree that we will probably just be looking for depth. Fortunately, many people have commented that this is a good draft for OL depth.

According to NFL Network; 4 years, 15 million. I'd lean toward that number as being the most accurate.

thefalconer
03-10-2007, 10:42 PM
anyone predict any more signings?

iloxygenil
03-10-2007, 11:27 PM
I don't think we'll be doing much more, we don't have the $$$ to do much else.

Shiver
03-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Two new pieces of information:

Free agent DT Ian Scott has set up a meeting with the Falcons.

He would be a fine Nose Tackle, in rotation with Grady Jackson.

The Dolphins are discussing an Olindo Mare trade with the Browns, Saints, Giants, and Falcons, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

They would be lucky to get a 7th round pick for him.

D-Rod
03-13-2007, 12:21 PM
one big story line to watch: does Moss get traded?

If so, then I reckon the Raiders will take CJ.

If not, then I'd expect them to pass, which could leave CJ going to the Bucs, which would make me cry lots.

D-Rod
03-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Two new pieces of information:

He would be a fine Nose Tackle, in rotation with Grady Jackson.

CERTAINLY WOULD. WOULD PROBABLY RULE OUT OKOYE?

They would be lucky to get a 7th round pick for him.

I THOUGHT THEY HAD ALREADY RELEASED HIM, BUT YEAH, NO WAY THEY GET A DECENT PICK. HE'D BE A DECENT SOLUTION FOR US.

thefalconer
03-13-2007, 02:01 PM
all this speculation about moss wanting to play for gb.. i'm wondering what farve is thinking. if there was a possible trade, would it involve a packer wr?

if the bucs get cj, hall, or whoever is covering him, is gonna get destroyed.

iloxygenil
03-13-2007, 02:06 PM
CJ is nasty, and I would HATE to see him twice a year. That's why I think our coaches move up to #2 with Detroit with Schaub trade, IF he doesn't go #1

Shiver
03-13-2007, 04:22 PM
I would be very pleased if we signed Ian Scott. He would be perfect as a Nose Tackle. Grady Jackson is old, is injury prone, he is best served as a situational player at his age/size/health combination. That would give the team a 4-man rotation at DT, with two veterans, two young players.

scar988
03-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Ian Scott would be good
Olindo Mare would be great
Mulitalo would be spectacular.
all 3 would be a coup.

thefalconer
03-13-2007, 08:41 PM
we NEED mare. special teams is so underrated.

Bosanac01
03-13-2007, 10:52 PM
CJ is nasty, and I would HATE to see him twice a year. That's why I think our coaches move up to #2 with Detroit with Schaub trade, IF he doesn't go #1

That would be great, but i doubt it. Sound too good to be true.

Shiver
03-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Ian Scott would be good
Olindo Mare would be great
Mulitalo would be spectacular.
all 3 would be a coup.

We have a couple of players I would cut loose if we could get two of those guys. Getting all three would be great, it's just unlikely.

Shiver
03-14-2007, 03:08 AM
Thus far;

Additions

Ovie Mughelli
Marcus Wilkins
Lewis Sanders
Joe Horn

Subtractions

Patrick Kerney
Justin Griffith
Ashley Lelie
Ike Reese

Addition by Subtractions

Matt Lehr
Edgerton Hartwell

iloxygenil
03-14-2007, 10:45 AM
The 2 Ms are the 2 of those 3 I would really like. Mulitalo and Mare, that would be great

thefalconer
03-14-2007, 11:51 AM
i dont know much about ian thompson but i think muitalo would be excellent and just what our line needs if only we dont let the wallet get too light. mare i think is a need because the only potential kickers that will have success in the nfl will be gone after we draft our core needs.

Shiver
03-14-2007, 02:59 PM
FALCONS LAND FONOTI

The Atlanta Falcons wanted to go bigger on the offensive line in 2007. In one fell swoop, they have.

Adam Caplan of Scout.com reports that the Falcons have agreed to terms with "Two-Ton" Toniu Fonoti. The contract has a duration of one year.

The Chewin' Samooan has bounced around the league (literally) since 2002, playing with the Chargers, Vikings, and Dolphins, and spending a short amount of time with the Raiders and the Bucs.

Fonoti is listed at 350 pounds.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050916/images/chargers280.jpg

Large man. If we can get him to '04 Chargers-level production, good steal. If not, no harm, no foul because it's only a 1-year 'prove it' deal.

iloxygenil
03-14-2007, 07:52 PM
Hamilton (6-4, 207 pounds) enters his third NFL season after being selected in the third round (77th overall) by San Francisco in the 2004 NFL Draft out of Clemson. He has seen action in two games throughout his career. He spent the 2005 season on the Physically Unable to Perform List with a knee injury suffered during mini-camps.

"It's a chance for me as there are a lot of young receivers here and I'm trying to get my career jump-started," Hamilton said. "Hopefully, I can bring something as a taller receiver and help the team as much as I can."

A speedy receiver with reliable hands, Hamilton played in 38 games with 27 starts in college with the Tigers. He posted 2,312 yards on 167 receptions and 16 touchdowns at Clemson. A native of Dillon, S.C., he caught 36 passes for 745 yards and nine TDs as a senior at Dillon High School.

iloxygenil
03-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Hamilton (6-4, 207 pounds) enters his third NFL season after being selected in the third round (77th overall) by San Francisco in the 2004 NFL Draft out of Clemson. He has seen action in two games throughout his career. He spent the 2005 season on the Physically Unable to Perform List with a knee injury suffered during mini-camps.

"It's a chance for me as there are a lot of young receivers here and I'm trying to get my career jump-started," Hamilton said. "Hopefully, I can bring something as a taller receiver and help the team as much as I can."

A speedy receiver with reliable hands, Hamilton played in 38 games with 27 starts in college with the Tigers. He posted 2,312 yards on 167 receptions and 16 touchdowns at Clemson. A native of Dillon, S.C., he caught 36 passes for 745 yards and nine TDs as a senior at Dillon High School.

Got this from Atlanta Falcons.com

Draft King
03-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Who is Marcus Wilkins BTW??

DraftMichaelHuff
03-15-2007, 04:03 AM
i really like the concept of signing guys who have had injury problems in the past but have very high ceilings for the vet minimum. In my opinion we should do the same thing for anybody else that fits the criterea at a position of need, i mean you either are shocked by their ability when they finally put it together or you cut them before the season starts

ATLDirtyBirds
03-15-2007, 04:50 AM
Who is Marcus Wilkins BTW??

A special teams beast. Will take the role of ike reese

Shiver
03-15-2007, 11:21 PM
The team is still interested in Edwin Mulitalo, Ian Scott, Leander Jordan. Building depth in the trenches.

iloxygenil
03-15-2007, 11:36 PM
Where you get that from Shiver? I trust ya, just wondering what your source was for that

Shiver
03-16-2007, 12:28 AM
Mulitalo and Scott I learned from Rotoworld. Jordan was NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-16-2007, 04:52 AM
Anything on Mare?

D-Rod
03-19-2007, 05:22 PM
courtney brown released, after failing a physical.

if he gets his health in order by April, and is not asking for too much, he could be a good Plan B for replacing Kerney at LDE, if we don't draft a DE in the first two rounds.

He'd definitely need to pass a physical first, but he's the kind of tough run-stuffer and bull rusher we could use at power end. Besides, we seem to be setting a trend of picking up guys with injury concerns...

iloxygenil
03-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Wow...Brown...that's pretty amazing...but I doubt he passes it anytime soon.

iloxygenil
03-22-2007, 10:24 PM
The Atlanta Falcons have found a potential replacement for the recently traded quarterback, Matt Schaub. The Falcons signed former Baltimore backup Chris Redman to a one-year deal tonight. Redman played at Louisville, where Atlanta's new head man, Bobby Petrino, coached.

Shiver
03-22-2007, 10:49 PM
That's a good signing.

DraftMichaelHuff
03-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Has Redman ever been a good pro? I thought we were headed down the Aaron Brooks path... i guess it shows Petrino is more headstong than i thought cause you would have to think Vick would of campaigned for his cousin to be brought in

Shiver
03-22-2007, 11:00 PM
He had one good season with the Ravens, where he started six games.

iloxygenil
03-23-2007, 12:18 AM
Lets just hope he only sees the field to take a knee.

DraftMichaelHuff
03-23-2007, 12:37 AM
really? got no love for the duel Qb set that the offensive guru that is Greg Knapp instigated?

D-Rod
03-23-2007, 05:03 AM
it's a pretty good fit, and he'll be nice and cheap.

but seriously, are we going to sign every injury-prone player in the NFL?

Shiver
03-23-2007, 12:03 PM
I'm still holding out hope that Ian Scott is signed.

Shiver
03-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Falcons | Team in negotiation with Scott
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:09:50 -0700

Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports the Atlanta Falcons are currently negotiating a contract with DT Ian Scott (Bears). Scott met with team officials last week and he could make a decision on who to sign with in the next few days.

He would be a great addition.

iloxygenil
03-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Holy cow man...we are SUPER active in free agency.

Shiver
03-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Fortunately, all these free agents are mid-low range veterans. Rather than jumping in early, overpaying for "top talent."

In regards to Ian Scott, he would an ideal starter at NT. That would allow the team to make Grady Jackson a situational player, keeping him fresh, and healthy. Having two capable Nose Tackles will greatly bolster the run defense.

Shiver
03-23-2007, 08:15 PM
According to Adam Schefter, the team is soon going to sign Tim Rattay to be the back-up. It doesn't sound like DJ Shockley has a place on the team.

D-Rod
03-24-2007, 08:00 AM
According to Adam Schefter, the team is soon going to sign Tim Rattay to be the back-up. It doesn't sound like DJ Shockley has a place on the team.

I reckon D.J. will stick around. Petrino now has a few options to look at for the veteran backup, but I reckon Shockley will be no.3.

iloxygenil
03-24-2007, 06:19 PM
DJ is a piece of trash, and I've been saying that since day one. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

thefalconer
03-24-2007, 10:55 PM
DJ is a piece of trash, and I've been saying that since day one. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

he's not that bad.

Draft King
03-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Put this in the offseason thread in the NFL Section, so thought I might as well put it here for my fellow Falcons fans.

Falcons:

Signed:

Joe Horn, WR (Should bring veteran leadership to this team and become a consistent pass catcher for Michael Vick)

Ovie Mughelli, FB (A big, bruising, 250-pound FB who will make those holes for our playmakers. Was 2nd-team all pro behind only Lorenzo Neal)

Lewis Sanders, CB (The 6-year vet will compete for the teams nickleback spot and is an upgrade over Allen Rossum in coverage)

Toniu Fonoti, OG (After an incredible 1st year with the Chargers, this journeyman offensive lineman battled problems with injuries and weight issue, one time being close to 400 pounds. If he can produce, great pickup, as he doesn't cost us anything, if not, oh well, we can release him)

Marcus Wilkins, DB (Special teams beast will replace Ike Reese and has a shot at making the pro-bowl here, nice pick-up)

Chris Redman, QB (Vet-QB will back up Michael Vick, had one good year with the Ravens then went seemingly un-noticed for the rest of his career)

Released:

Patrick Kerney, DE (Was expected to come up big last season across from John Abraham, instead, was injured most of the year. Will miss his leadership but can be replaced)

Justin Griffith, FB (Was a great asset to the team, but we were interested in a bigger fullback to help our goal-line situations, where Griffith struggled)

Matt Lehr, OG (Struggled to keep his ground and was consistently pushed around, even on the juice, will not be missed)

Ashley Lelie, WR (Was supposed to be the big, deep-threat this team was looking for. Instead, had a case of the dropsies and couldn't keep his footing)

Ed Hartwell, LB (Very disappointing signing, was supposed to be the big, run stopping LB we were looking for coming for the Ravens, instead battled injuries through-out his tenure here and was out-played by DeMorrio Williams)

Ike Reese, LB (Was not much other than a special teamer, where he played fine, easily replaced by Wilkins)

Traded:

Matt Schaub, QB (Was the back-up to the inconsistent Michael Vick. Was a risk to trade, but I feel the Falcons got the best of this one. Swapping 1st rounders with the Texans, while also picking up 2 2nd rounders, including one for this season, and one for 2008)

Overall:

Loved this offseason for Atlanta, picking up extra draft picks while doing what we had to do to improve this team. If we do nicely in the draft, will be perfect. But for now, I still consider it a good one.

Rating: B+

Shiver
03-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Chicago Tribune (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-070325bears,1,7749569.story?coll=cs-bears-headlines)

Before signing Adams, the Bears had been considered the frontrunner to re-sign nose tackle Ian Scott. Scott is expected to strike a deal with the Falcons.

Windy
03-26-2007, 06:13 PM
http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/03/26/0327falshort.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21

The Atlanta Falcons are no longer pursuing Chicago Bears free agent defensive tackle Ian Scott, and it has cooled in its pursuit of free agent backup quarterback Tim Rattay.

Shiver
03-26-2007, 06:38 PM
I hope that isn't true.

KBear
03-27-2007, 04:17 AM
I'm not sure why Scott has not been able to reach a deal with a team yet. Broncos, Chiefs, Vikings, and Falcons all seem to pass on him. He might be asking for to much $$.

iloxygenil
03-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Did we pass on him for sure?

D-Rod
03-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Picked up Antonio Bryant: 6'3", 337 lbs.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=18573

He's not Ian Scott, but he's a lot larger, and a huge amount cheaper.

Should provide more competition for Shrop and TJ, probably the primary backup to grady as of right now.

iloxygenil
03-27-2007, 05:08 PM
He's just a camp body.

etk
04-01-2007, 04:05 PM
After trading quarterback Matt Schaub to Houston, the Falcons need a legitimate No. 2 behind Michael Vick. There are rumors that Drew Bledsoe could land there.
-- Trenton Times

He's all yours Falcons fans.

Shiver
04-01-2007, 04:35 PM
If he's willing to do it, I would love to have Bledsoe as the #2.

etk
04-02-2007, 12:57 PM
If he's willing to do it, I would love to have Bledsoe as the #2.

I guess he's better than any other guys left on the market, so maybe I underrated Bledsoe and his value. Petrino really likes Shockley though, but I guess Bledsoe is a good bridge until Shockley is ready to be a #2.

iloxygenil
04-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Shockley will never be a #2

thefalconer
04-02-2007, 03:07 PM
you are quite the hater.

iloxygenil
04-02-2007, 04:56 PM
He is quite pitiful.

Jay
04-09-2007, 12:04 PM
The Falcons just signed Joey Harrington:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2830712&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

iloxygenil
04-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Bye Bye DJ!

DraftMichaelHuff
04-09-2007, 06:07 PM
iloxy, ive been after a merriweather sig for ages that one looks nice, do you make em for people or do people make em for you? I'd love a Merriweather, Joe Staley or Aaron Rouse one.

I really like the Harrington Signing, he played pretty well last year and i think should be able to fill Shaub's shoes, also im not a huge DJ fan by any means and think he is no more than a #3 at this stage but i see more merrit in keeping him over redman so long as we have the vet in harrington.

Redman for an assistant QB coach??

ksfalconsfan
04-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Great signing for the Falcons. Now we have a backup with actual NFL experience in case Vick gets hurt. That leaves us much better off than in the hands of Shockley.

D-Rod
04-10-2007, 05:45 AM
According to Pat Kirwan, on his latest mock for NFL.com, we gave Harrington $6mill for two years, including a $2.7mill roster bonus. That's an awful lot for a backup QB on a team with salary cap issues.

iloxygenil
04-10-2007, 11:28 AM
DMH I'll make em for whoever, if you want to wear this one you can rock it now. I have plenty I can change to. Just send me a PM.