PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Statistical Leaders (Top 5)

ironman4579
09-29-2008, 11:54 AM
I did this last year in the rookie thread, so I figured I'd do it again this year. I'll update this first post weekly to keep track of the rookie leaders. Keep in mind this only includes players that are eligible statistically ie. not every rookie QB that has seen playing time will be included in the passing categories. Also, these stats are from NFL.com. If a rookie is missing, I'm sorry, I'm just going by NFL.com's stats. Feel free to discuss rookies here as well, although there are other threads for that you can use if you wish. I realize the Monday night game hasn't been played yet. I just wanted to get this up while I had the chance. I'll update it again following the Monday nighter.

Following Week 13

Completion Percentage
1.Joe Flacco-61.0
2.Matt Ryan-61.0

Passing Yards
1.Matt Ryan-2,625
2.Joe Flacco-2,276

Passing Touchdowns
1.Matt Ryan-13
2.Joe Flacco-12

Carries
1.Matt Forte-248
2.Chris Johnson-203
3.Steve Slaton-180
4.Kevin Smith-145
5.Jonathan Stewart-127

Rushing Yards
1.Matt Forte-1,012
2.Chris Johnson-958
3.Steve Slaton-904
4.Kevin Smith-621
5.Jonathan Stewart-584

Rushing Touchdowns
1.Tim Hightower-9
2.Steve Slaton-8
3.Chris Johnson-7
4.Matt Forte-6
5.Jonathan Stewart-6

Receptions
1.Eddie Royal-63
2.DeSean Jackson-53
3.Matt Forte-48
4.Dustin Keller-40
5.John Carlson-38

Receiving Yards
1.DeSean Jackson-775
2.Eddie Royal-757
3.Donnie Avery-499
4.Dustin Keller-460
5.John Carlson-456

Receiving Touchdowns
1.Eddie Royal-5
2.Martellus Bennett-4
3.Matt Forte-4
4.Dustin Keller-3
5.John Carlson-3

Tackles
1.Jerod Mayo-96
2.Curtis Lofton-73
3.Chris Horton-63
4.Brandon Carr-56
5.Antoine Cason-54

Sacks
1.Chris Long-4.0
2.Cliff Avril-3.0
3.Alex Hall-3.0
4.Trevor Scott-3.0
5.4 others tied with 2

Passes Defenced
1.Dwight Lowery-16
2.Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie-15
3.Aqib Talib-10
4.Brandon Flowers-9
5.Brandon Carr-8
6.Chris Horton-8

Interceptions
1.Chris Horton-3
2.Aqib Talib-3
3.Brandon Flowers-2
4.Brandon Carr-2
5.Leodis McKelvin-2
6.Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie-2

Forced Fumbles
1.Cliff Avril-3
2.Dwight Lowery-3
3.Alex Hall-2
4.18 others tied with 1

Fumble Recoveries
1.Brandon Carr-2
2.Brandon Flowers-2
3.Charles Godfrey-2
4.Gary Guyton-2
5.14 others tied with 1

Kick Return Average (min 1.5 returns per game)
1.Leodis McKelvin-29.4
2.Quintin Demps-25.9
3.Brian Witherspoon-25.0
4.Dantrell Savage-24.3
5.Pierre Garcon-21.1

Kick Return Touchdowns
1.Felix Jones-1
2.Quintin Demps-1
3.Leodis McKelvin-1
4.Clifton Smith-1

Punt Return Average (min 1.5 returns per game)
1.DeSean Jackson-9.3
2.Dexter Jackson-4.9

Punt Return Touchdowns
1.DeSean Jackson-1
2.Clifton Smith-1
3.Harry Douglas-1

bored of education
09-29-2008, 11:56 AM
great thread. +rep

CC.SD
09-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Where is the "Oh my God why are you such a beast?" category? Because I would put Antoine Cason in there. 5 breakups, 1 FF and 1 INT don't do him justice.

Seriously though, good topic lets keep it updated.

ironman4579
09-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks. I realize in football especially, stats don't tell even half the story most of the time. Hell, you can't even quantify some of the most important players in the game, the O Line, with individual statistics. That said, I've always been a bit of a stat nerd when it comes to sports, and I just like to look at them. So I figured that despite the fact everyone could just look the same thing up at NFL.com, I'd post it here for some one stop shopping for everyone.

keylime_5
09-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Alex Hall-DE/OLB from St.Augustine University in the 7th round this year by cleveland. total sleeper who has 2 starts and 2 sacks. Other than Shaun Rogers he is one of the only bright spots on our defense.

DiG
09-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Alex Hall-DE/OLB from St.Augustine University in the 7th round this year by cleveland. total sleeper who has 2 starts and 2 sacks. Other than Shaun Rogers he is one of the only bright spots on our defense.

dont forget eric wright. i love that kid. he is a stud.

Go_Eagles77
09-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Who's the better receiver, DeSean Jackson or Eddie Royal?

703SKINS202
09-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Who's the better receiver, DeSean Jackson or Eddie Royal?

Couldn't say yet I think Desean has the better overall skill set for the future but Royal is looking really impressive. I might give him the slight edge thus far. Props to Royal though dude played in our division in high school never would have thought he'd make it to this kind of level.

Cribbs>Hester
09-29-2008, 02:17 PM
dont forget eric wright. i love that kid. he is a stud.

The only play he has made his entire career was a heck of a pick against Cincy yesterday. Other than that the kids hasn't done much and has been toasted on numerous occaisions. Even yesterday with great coverages he just quit on the play and let up a touchdown. If he's just attempted to reach for the ball it could have distracted Johnson or he may even had tipped the ball. Hes brain fails him more often than not. Athletic ability is no issue. I'll give him the rest of the year to decide if he's a legit keeper or not.

kmartin575
09-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Where is the "Oh my God why are you such a beast?" category? Because I would put Antoine Cason in there. 5 breakups, 1 FF and 1 INT don't do him justice.

I'll take Brandon Carr's 16 tackles, 3 PDef, 2 FR, and 1 INT over him.

Bruce Banner
09-29-2008, 03:48 PM
The only play he has made his entire career was a heck of a pick against Cincy yesterday. Other than that the kids hasn't done much and has been toasted on numerous occaisions. Even yesterday with great coverages he just quit on the play and let up a touchdown. If he's just attempted to reach for the ball it could have distracted Johnson or he may even had tipped the ball. Hes brain fails him more often than not. Athletic ability is no issue. I'll give him the rest of the year to decide if he's a legit keeper or not.

Not saying I disagree with this assessment....but I have to tell you....You are harder on your own teams than anyone I have ever seen.

skinzzfan25
09-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Chris Horton DROY!

scottyboy
09-29-2008, 03:50 PM
this thread gives me another reason to not like the Ravens dammit. give Rice the damn ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

MetSox17
09-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Seeing the success of Royal and Jackson makes me so upset/sad that we just sat back in the second round and let the rest of the NFL ravage the WR corps. Eddie Royal, DeSean Jackson or Donnie Avery would have made our offense dynamic, and we were thin at the WR position. I blame the coaching staff. No one wanted to move up, only Jerry. But the Broncos and Eagles are sure having the last laugh now. The Royal pick looked like a reach, but they're showing us why THEY'RE the ones making picks and not us.

awfullyquiet
09-29-2008, 04:19 PM
matt forte.

legit.

most yards from scrimmage. catches. runs. has a ****** o-line. is a 13 trick pony.

Turtlepower
09-29-2008, 04:22 PM
matt forte.

legit.

most yards from scrimmage. catches. runs. has a ****** o-line. is a 13 trick pony.

I'm surprised hat Matt Forte hasn't taken any snaps under center yet. =D

awfullyquiet
09-29-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm surprised hat Matt Forte hasn't taken any snaps under center yet. =D

i'm with you there.
the bears should let forte throw some. 10 snaps a game. minimum. he's shown he wants to be better than anything the bears have seen since. oh. thomas jones.

Turtlepower
09-29-2008, 04:32 PM
i'm with you there.
the bears should let forte throw some. 10 snaps a game. minimum. he's shown he wants to be better than anything the bears have seen since. oh. thomas jones.

Walter Payton wishes he could have backed-up Forte.

iowatreat54
09-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Walter Payton wishes he could have backed-up Forte.

let's not get crazy, Forte needed to be spawned by someone right, and if my memory serves me, wasn't Jesus the spawn of God? Just sayin', you make the connection...

ironman4579
09-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Chris Horton DROY!

I'll say, I was pretty surprised to see Chris Horton at or near the top of a few statistical categories. I haven't really seen the Skins this year. Has he been playing like the numbers might suggest?

Turtlepower
09-29-2008, 05:00 PM
I'll say, I was pretty surprised to see Chris Horton at or near the top of a few statistical categories. I haven't really seen the Skins this year. Has he been playing like the numbers might suggest?

Chris Horton has as many interceptions as the secondaries of the Eagles, Cowboys and Giants combined.

ironman4579
09-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Chris Horton has as many interceptions as the secondaries of the Eagles, Cowboys and Giants combined.

I know, but I mean, I guess that doesn't necessarily mean he hasn't been burned a few times. He could just be getting thrown at alot.

703SKINS202
09-29-2008, 05:03 PM

First 2 he was just in right place at the right time and this week he got the start and made a hell of an interception Romo never saw it coming. I expect to see even bigger things from him as a starter now. Apparently he was rated on some peoples boards really high but just had a disappointing senior year. Right now he looks like a great 7th round steal for us.

ironman4579
09-29-2008, 05:07 PM
First 2 he was just in right place at the right time and this week he got the start and made a hell of an interception Romo never saw it coming. I expect to see even bigger things from him as a starter now. Apparently he was rated on some peoples boards really high but just had a disappointing senior year. Right now he looks like a great 7th round steal for us.

Based on the production so far at least, I guess I'd have to agree with you at this point. Maybe he just had a case of senioritis?

Go_Eagles77
09-29-2008, 05:07 PM

So the cowboys/giants secondaries each have 0? Because I know the eagles have 3. Asante Samuel has 2 and Quintin Mikell has 1.

M.O.T.H.
09-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Hopefully, we'll see a big increase in Felix's numbers this week. Get em the ball, Garrett.

M.O.T.H.
09-29-2008, 05:11 PM
So the cowboys/giants secondaries each have 0? Because I know the eagles have 3. Asante Samuel has 2 and Quintin Mikell has 1.

Not just the secondary...the Cowboys have zero ints on the year.

P-L
09-29-2008, 05:14 PM
The only guy on the Giants with a pick is Justin Tuck.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Horton really plays like Troy P, and that's not just because of his hair. He is a tackling machine and has surprising range and ball skills for a guy his size.

BeerBaron
09-29-2008, 05:24 PM
well....stats don't really tell the whole story but I don't think i'd trade Forte for any other rookie runner at the moment. Felix and Chris Johnson have been more dynamic, sure, but neither has had to carry the full load of....well......the entire offense like Forte has.

He's held his own against some of the leagues better defenses and though not always pretty, has at least made himself enough of a threat to open up the passing game a little.

Marino13
09-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Horton really plays like Troy P, and that's not just because of his hair. He is a tackling machine and has surprising range and ball skills for a guy his size.

oh yeah, the only guy with a pick for Miami is Randy Starks; our backup DE.

Got to give props to Kendall Langford though. He's come in and done a very nice job at DE (Merling has too, and is also getting a lot of pressure)

awfullyquiet
09-29-2008, 05:46 PM
let's not get crazy, Forte needed to be spawned by someone right, and if my memory serves me, wasn't Jesus the spawn of God? Just sayin', you make the connection...

it's funny that you used the word 'spawned'.

lol

d34ng3l021
09-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Matt Ryan stands alone in TD passes. What a beast.

09-29-2008, 07:52 PM
DeSean atop most rookie receiver categories just as I expected all along. :rolleyes:

Cribbs>Hester
09-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Not saying I disagree with this assessment....but I have to tell you....You are harder on your own teams than anyone I have ever seen.

Better than being an insufferable homer. It would be one thing if it weren't true. All I do is state facts. If you perform well then I don't harp on you. Alex Hall, Brandon McDonald, Kellen Winslow, Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, Shaun Rogers, Shaun Smith, Joshua Cribbs come ready to play the game of football. We have guys who have all the talent in the world even the mental capabilities to be dominate, but they choose to be lazy and have no burning fire to be great. I can ******* stand that we need more guys who give it their all on every play physically, mentaly and emotionally.

Bruce Banner
09-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Better than being an insufferable homer. It would be one thing if it weren't true. All I do is state facts. If you perform well then I don't harp on you. Alex Hall, Brandon McDonald, Kellen Winslow, Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, Shaun Rogers, Shaun Smith, Joshua Cribbs come ready to play the game of football. We have guys who have all the talent in the world even the mental capabilities to be dominate, but they choose to be lazy and have no burning fire to be great. I can ******* stand that we need more guys who give it their all on every play physically, mentaly and emotionally.

Well spoken.

yourfavestoner
09-29-2008, 10:21 PM

You'd make a good coach.

awfullyquiet
09-29-2008, 11:08 PM
I can ******* stand that we need more guys who give it their all on every play physically, mentaly and emotionally.

I find it amazing... to relate it back to the real world... that the NFL isn't any different than the real world in some cases (minus the ridiculous money). You are wholly responsible for your own success. Which is true.

I was listening to some espn radio broadcast from home before i left... and someone made a very good point onto rookies.

You have three things required of you. Learn a mastery of the game, which very few people do as rookies, and take care of yourself and hone your personal strength. In the real world. You have to master what's asked of you. What gets me is the sense of entitlement people have... Cedric Benson is probably my greatest example... You start at a large company, doing some desk work, and you sloppily do it all. Nothing will ever come your way, but if you take initiative, build your repertoire, become a well rounded football player... You will get what's coming to you, a decently long career.

This is why i love intellegent people, i love midround picks who have that fire to make the team. Marques Colston is one that comes to mind... You do what you're good at and get better at what you arent...

Rookies are getting worse and worse at playing football. College coaches coddle these boys. Not even men anymore. And we wonder what the issue is in the NFL? I can tell you, they have no manliness.

T-RICH49
09-30-2008, 03:48 AM
Fumble Recoveries
1.Brandon Carr-2
2.Brandon Flowers-1

said it before and I'll say it again these two are going to be REAL good

abaddon41_80
09-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Brian Witherspoon, return man for the Jags, is so ****ing fast.

ironman4579
09-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Ok, first post has been editted to reflect Flacco's numbers last night.

Ravens1991
09-30-2008, 11:16 AM
so who will be the better QB, Flacco or Ryan???

Jughead10
09-30-2008, 11:41 AM
The only guy on the Giants with a pick is Justin Tuck.

This is true. The picks will come. I'm certainly waiting for them. We're 3-0 despite not having many takeaways. Eventually the sacks we get will turn into turnovers.

Jughead10
09-30-2008, 11:43 AM
oh yeah, the only guy with a pick for Miami is Randy Starks; our backup DE.

Got to give props to Kendall Langford though. He's come in and done a very nice job at DE (Merling has too, and is also getting a lot of pressure)

Bill and Ireland are smart. Too often the DE position in the 3-4 is overlooked. Everyone wants to get that NT, but they are hard to find. Bill was trying to find his new version of Leonard Marshall and he may have found it in Langford.

HawkeyeFan
09-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Now that Leonard Little is back in the lineup, I'm expect to see Chris Long get more sacks now that he's not going to be double teamed every play.

So psyched for this kid.

d34ng3l021
09-30-2008, 01:31 PM
so who will be the better QB, Flacco or Ryan???

Ryan, but I am biased. Flacco could be potentially very good though. He has great talent and great coaching. If that works out he could become a very good QB. He has really surprised me this season so far (especially against the Steelers). I thought he would get rocked starting in his first season, but I guess not. If Baltimore can give him some weapons he definitely could be good.

What are your thoughts on Ryan?

Saints-Tigers
09-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Tracy Porter has 22 tackles (20 solo), 3 passes defensed, 1 sack, and 1 interception. Pleasant surprise thus far.

Sedrick Ellis has 9 tackles, a sack, and a pass break up, but I don't think stats do him justice.

T-RICH49
09-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Sedrick Ellis has 9 tackles, a sack, and a pass break up, but I don't think stats do him justice.

same can be said for Dorsey

Saints-Tigers
09-30-2008, 01:46 PM
same can be said for Dorsey

Indeed, Dorsey has never been a stat guy, but his effect on a game is tremendous.

d34ng3l021
09-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Same can be said of any rookie on a persons favorite team who isnt producing good stats.

Bruce Banner
09-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Same can be said of any rookie on a persons favorite team who isnt producing good stats.

Talib has almost no tackles.

No teams are throwing his way! It's an instant pick 6.

:)

Ravens1991
09-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Ryan, but I am biased. Flacco could be potentially very good though. He has great talent and great coaching. If that works out he could become a very good QB. He has really surprised me this season so far (especially against the Steelers). I thought he would get rocked starting in his first season, but I guess not. If Baltimore can give him some weapons he definitely could be good.

What are your thoughts on Ryan?

I have not gotten a chance to see him play, but from looking at his stats he seems to be doing well. I know he is a team leader and will be able to lead for a while and was more NFL ready then Flacco, but I feel Flacco has better physical tools. Either way I feel both will be very good QB for the next couple of years.

BlindSite
09-30-2008, 05:32 PM

Agreed, I cannot get over how good a player he is straight away. He's still my DROY. I wish he was on my radar pre-season.

bantx
09-30-2008, 09:34 PM
What about Mike Tolbert - most awesome FB?

Saints-Tigers
09-30-2008, 09:40 PM

I can also say that Heath Shuler was the truth, and my favorite quarterback ever.

But some things are more believable than others.

ironman4579
10-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Updated. Also added in an "on pace for" number for the leaders in each category. Obviously it's early, so take those numbers with a grain of salt, if that even needs to be said. If you see two numbers in brackets in a category, it's because players had the same numbers, but one player played more games than the other. I think that only happened in sacks right now. The first four players in the category all have credit for 4 games, while the last player has played five, so his on pace for number is lower.

ironman4579
10-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Updated.....

SeanTaylorRIP
10-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Eddie Royal and Desean Jackson have some pretty comparable stats despite Royal being hurt.

d34ng3l021
10-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Royal is 100 yards behind Jackson after his 146 yard performance in week 1. Marshall being back really hurts his statistics, but no doubt he is still making an impact.

Go_Eagles77
10-14-2008, 03:15 PM
I'd like to see their statistics if Jackson was on the broncos and vice versa, but I still think Jackson is the better playmaker and has more potential while Royal is the more dependable guy who won't make as many mistakes, which is just fine because they already have Brandon Marshall.

TitleTown088
10-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Three years in a row now the Packers have had a leading rookie WR. Jordyzzz

BlindSite
10-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Forte is on pace for 400+ touches this season, I foresee a drop off in his future.

d34ng3l021
10-14-2008, 04:42 PM
He is going to hit that wall hard. Not only are they already giving him so many touches, but he has yet to hit the natural rookie wall (in my opinion).

It is really fun watching him though. He is a talented guy and a very smart runner. Great pick in the 2nd for the Bears.

Bruce Banner
10-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Look for Talib to have 5+ Ints...

ironman4579
10-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Updated, and I'll update again following the Monday night game. Sorry about last week. Work takes up too much time lately.

iowatreat54
10-27-2008, 07:20 PM
He is going to hit that wall hard. Not only are they already giving him so many touches, but he has yet to hit the natural rookie wall (in my opinion).

It is really fun watching him though. He is a talented guy and a very smart runner. Great pick in the 2nd for the Bears.

he leads rookies in yards from scrimmage (8th in the NFL amongst RBs, although all but Gore and SJax have played 1 more game), is 2nd amongst rookies in rushing, 4th in receiving, tied for the rookie lead in total TDs

although his rushes are high and his YPC below average, he is still producing well for a rookie...I don't expect him to keep up the high amount of rushes, mainly because he has been more utilized in the passing game. Also, his number of rushes have been down lately, no more than 20 in his last 4 games.

so he hasn't hit the wall IMO, and the bye week came at a perfect time for him.

d34ng3l021
10-27-2008, 08:35 PM
It still doesnt deny the fact that he is 4th in number of rushes and probably top 3 in number of touches for a RB.

Bruce Banner
10-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks for doing this Ironman.

Talib WILL be a legitimate candidate for DROTY.

ironman4579
10-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks for doing this Ironman.

Talib WILL be a legitimate candidate for DROTY.

No problem. I think there are actually a few guys that will have a shot at DROY this year, simply because no one so far is really having an outstanding season like Patrick Willis, David Harris, Jon Beason, and some others had last year. Last year actually ended up being a pretty good year for LB's. Maybe this year.....................DB's?

RaiderNation
10-27-2008, 09:12 PM
I wish we didnt have Fargas so McFadden could get more carries.....

ironman4579
12-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Sorry I haven't updated this in forever guys. I've been extremely busy with work and moving into a new apartment. But it's all updated to current stats now.

TheBuffaloBills
12-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Leodis is scary on kick returns. In the past 3 weeks, he has shown me that he has the potential to be the best kick returner......ever.

d34ng3l021
12-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Leodis is scary on kick returns. In the past 3 weeks, he has shown me that he has the potential to be the best kick returner......ever.

A span of three weeks is usually when things like these are decided. Good call.

12-04-2008, 10:22 PM
I wish we didnt have Fargas so McFadden could get more carries.....

The amount of touches McFadden is currently getting is laughable and as a result he won't find himself anywhere close to the top five in rookie rushing by season's end. :(

irishbucsfan
12-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Where is the Clifton Smith love? A conversation about rookie returners, or even overall rookie impact, that doesn't include him, is no conversation at all.

Go_Eagles77
12-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Quintin Demps has a TD on a kick off and DeSean Jackson has a TD on a punt, that's pretty nice.

timewaster
12-06-2008, 12:45 PM
If only it didnt take so long to get Keller into the game this season.

I <3 him.

tjsunstein
12-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Quintin Demps has a TD on a kick off and DeSean Jackson has a TD on a punt, that's pretty nice.
Some people are more focused on Jackson as a WR rather than a WR/PR. The Eagles took out two birds with one pick giving them versatility on offense as well as a threat on special teams. The Eagles ST, moreso the PR, was a killer for them last year. Its such an underrated part of the game but not less important than any other.

If only it didnt take so long to get Keller into the game this season.

I <3 him.

Brett Favre is the perfect QB for him. Allows him to sit in the middle of the field on 4 yard comebacks because the defense respects the long ball. Keller should develop into a nice dimension in that offense.

Go_Eagles77
12-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Some people are more focused on Jackson as a WR rather than a WR/PR. The Eagles took out two birds with one pick giving them versatility on offense as well as a threat on special teams. The Eagles ST, moreso the PR, was a killer for them last year. Its such an underrated part of the game but not less important than any other.

Yep, when we first drafted him I was happy that we would finally have a threat at PR, I had no idea he would be as good as he is on offense though, he is the player I look forward to watching the most every week. The best part about it is he's only gonna get better.

jth1331
12-07-2008, 12:29 AM
I freakin am loving the Eddie Royal pick now. I remember I was completely unsure of the pick and figured it to be a HUGE reach. Now it looks to be a freakin fantastic one. A good WR and a good return man, what a pick.

Ryan Clady should be going to the Pro Bowl too. If he doesn't, it will be a travesty.