PDA

View Full Version : Is Michael Turner the real deal ?

Wootylicous
09-29-2008, 08:16 PM
The guy is having a great season so far with 77 carries for 422 yards and 5 touchdowns. He is also averaging 5.5 yards per carry. But my point is he got two big games and he got most of his yards and all of his TDs against KC and Detroit who have horrid defense and had a average games against TB and Carolina. With that said I was wondering is Michael Turner the real deal ? Would you consider him a #1 back in the league or he is simply a excellent number 2 ? Just wanna get some opinions on him.

Bruce Banner
09-29-2008, 08:18 PM
He's a legitimate #1 but.....

No real passing game + average blocking =
http://www.fakesportsblogs.com/files/brutalhit.jpg

Shane P. Hallam
09-29-2008, 08:20 PM
I think he is a Jamal Lewis type of back. Against poor teams, he'll put up incredible numbers, but can struggle against better teams.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-29-2008, 08:20 PM
#1. You don't get the yards he did, albeit against weaker defenses being a good #2 RB.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Oh, he's for real. He breaks tackles like a mofo. It's extremely tough to bring him down with just one man alone. He's got good acceleration, hits the gaps well, and has good patience. Now, he's struggled for the reason BB stated. Our OL is improved, but it's not great by any means. And at this stage in his career, Matt Ryan isn't beating anyone. He has 1 legit guy to throw to, and the rest suck. Not to mention Ryan himself panics too much under pressure at this point, and has some problems with reads. Do the math. Good teams who can send pressure and still cover Roddy accomplish:

1. Getting in a rookie QB's face
2. Stacking up against a run
3. Attack an average OL

Until Ryan proves he can sling it to a better degree, Turner's going to struggle against the stronger defenses.

Wootylicous
09-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Oh, he's for real. He breaks tackles like a mofo. It's extremely tough to bring him down with just one man alone. He's got good acceleration, hits the gaps well, and has good patience. Now, he's struggled for the reason BB stated. Our OL is improved, but it's not great by any means. And at this stage in his career, Matt Ryan isn't beating anyone. He has 1 legit guy to throw to, and the rest suck. Not to mention Ryan himself panics too much under pressure at this point, and has some problems with reads. Do the math. Good teams who can send pressure and still cover Roddy accomplish:

1. Getting in a rookie QB's face
2. Stacking up against a run
3. Attack an average OL

Until Ryan proves he can sling it to a better degree, Turner's going to struggle against the stronger defenses.

This offense have great potential with Ryan, White and Roddy(thx Jbond :P) if only they could get a #2 this offense could be great for the years to come. Then again it all begins in the trenches and you need some upgrades at some specific positions on the OL. Would you be willing to take a OL over a DT/DB ?

Caddy
09-29-2008, 08:35 PM
He had a terrible game against the Buccaneers and I think Jbond put it best. He'll have good games against bad defenses and have bad games against great ones. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, but I just don't see him as an elite back.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-29-2008, 08:37 PM
This offense have great potential with Ryan, White and Roddy(thx Jbond :P) if only they could get a #2 this offense could be great for the years to come. Then again it all begins in the trenches and you need some upgrades at some specific positions on the OL. Would you be willing to take a OL over a DT/DB ?

We need some sort of threat. Whether it's a WR or TE, we need someone for sure. Ryan's going to make a ton of mistakes, and what I listed about his is typical. I get that. It's just tough for a QB to do anything with one legit target. As for your question, I'll have to see. Baker was looking very good, but is suffering from PCS. Blalock a former 2nd rounder is improving. McClure the center is done. Dahl the RG is strong in the run game, iffy in pass pro. RT Weiner/Clabo is average. So I'm not sure if any upgrades there would constitue a high pick. DT is somewhat ok. Grady Jackson is a monster in the run game when he's out there. Jonathan Babineaux is improving and looks real nice this year. DB is pretty horrible though. Something I hate though, is a year after trading a top corner, would we really burn a first rounder on another DB? When he's going to be making a very solid amout of money, and could bust.

P-L
09-29-2008, 09:15 PM
I haven't seen the Falcons since their first game, but here's a theory. Is it possible that teams like Carolina and Tampa Bay stacked the box to try and force rookie Matt Ryan to beat them? In both games that Turner struggled, Atlanta fell down early and Matt Ryan was forced to throw. Against Tampa he threw the ball 35 times and against Carolina he threw 40 times.

SenorGato
09-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Turner's the truth...not really...but he's nasty. He'll stay nasty too.

BlindSite
09-30-2008, 03:04 AM
No Rb has gained 100 yards on the Panthers and they've faced the NFL's two best so far and the best rookie runner, so you can't really say he's bad in that regard.

Caddy
09-30-2008, 03:23 AM
I haven't seen the Falcons since their first game, but here's a theory. Is it possible that teams like Carolina and Tampa Bay stacked the box to try and force rookie Matt Ryan to beat them? In both games that Turner struggled, Atlanta fell down early and Matt Ryan was forced to throw. Against Tampa he threw the ball 35 times and against Carolina he threw 40 times.

That is pretty much what the Buccaneers did. Jermaine Phillips got a lot of work as 8th man in the box.

But the Buccaneers have a strong rush defense as it is. They kept Ryan Grant to 20 yards, Matt Forte to 89, Michael Turner to 42 and Reggie Bush to 52. Through in the fact that they haven't allowed a TD on the ground either.

abaddon41_80
09-30-2008, 07:54 AM
It is hard to tell this early. All 5 of his touchdowns and 320 of his yards came against the Lions and Chiefs, who anyone can obviously run on. Against the two good defenses he faced he gained 98 yards on 32 carries (3.1 y/c) and 0 touchdowns. I don't want to take anything away from him but I would like to wait until the season plays out.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-30-2008, 10:12 AM
The guy is having a great season so far with 77 carries for 422 yards and 5 touchdowns. He is also averaging 5.5 yards per carry. But my point is he got two big games and he got most of his yards and all of his TDs against KC and Detroit who have horrid defense and had a average games against TB and Carolina. With that said I was wondering is Michael Turner the real deal ? Would you consider him a #1 back in the league or he is simply a excellent number 2 ? Just wanna get some opinions on him.

Wait until after the season. So far it would seem he is a good fit for that system he is in. But wait until after the season and see how he does.

LonghornsLegend
09-30-2008, 10:21 AM
I think him getting stuffed vs good teams has alot to do with the passing game and how well they move the ball in the air...Right now the ATL attack is still getting together, they need a TE that can stretch the field and give Ryan more time in the offense so they can really open things up with their WR's...Turner is the real deal, he's looked good pretty much every time he's gotten carries even in SD, but not too many backs would look good running with stacked fronts.

FlyingElvis
09-30-2008, 12:20 PM
He's definitely the real deal. His O-line is average, so he makes them look great when it's a weaker D and they make him look bad against a solid D.

Tampa & Carolina have stout rush Ds so without a balanced attack he got stuffed. Stud RBs can only do so much on their own, while mediocre (ok, maybe injured) RBs like Ryan Grant & Selvin Young - both behind much better O-lines than Turner - looked average against terrible defenses like Detroit & KC.

awfullyquiet
09-30-2008, 12:52 PM
He's legit.

Really. If atlanta was a more balanced team... with maybe an upgrade or two on the line. I see them moving to be NFCS winners in a year or two. They got the parts, they just need the time. and defense.

Saints-Tigers
09-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Definitely a number 1 guy, dunno where he will ultimately rank in comparison to elite backs, but he's definitely a guy that can be the go to runner.

Sportsfan486
09-30-2008, 03:56 PM
He's going to have a huge game this week against a Packer's D that can't tackle any moderately large/strong/fast/small/slow/fallen running back. 200 yards is distinctly possible.

djp
09-30-2008, 04:18 PM
I'd like to see him be able to take the brute force of a full NFL season before I call him the real deal.

Everyone knew he had talent, there were and still are durability concerns.

d34ng3l021
09-30-2008, 04:49 PM
He is definitely the real deal. I have yet to see the Panthers game (just downloaded it), but in all games he has shown me a lot of talent and toughness.

Yeah he racked up a bunch of his yards against the Lions and Chiefs, but good RBs are expected to do that. What happened in the Bucs and Panthers game was the fact that they would stack the box with defenders. Despite that, he fought for every yard he got in the Bucs game. He hardly went down with first contact and kept his legs churning for an extra yard or two (which is saying a lot considering he averaged around 3 YPC). In the Bucs game, he got absolutely no breathing room and the lanes were just not opening.

Its not that he disappears in the big games, but just doesnt get the chance to put up big numbers yet. As soon as defenses begin to respect Ryan and give running lanes to Turner he will put up some very good numbers.

I was actually wondering what Bucs and Panthers fans thought of his running during our games.

But the Falcons future looks very good:

Matt Ryan. Age 23
Michael Turner. Age 26
Jerious Norwood. Age 25
Roddy White. Age 26
Sam Baker (fingers crossed). Age 23

scottyboy
09-30-2008, 06:06 PM
no, he's quite fake. He's actually a hologram. He just goes through defenders and is at a remote area inside the stadium with the controls to his hologram. He can't be tackled, but to ensure nobody catches on, he'll make the hologram fall so it looks like he's tackled. Nobody has actually touched him. One time, I went to shake his hand, but it was a hologram! I TRICKED HIM!(he was drizzunk) and he then ran away(really fast of course)

MetSox17
09-30-2008, 06:19 PM
^^ Jamaal Anderson?

BamaFalcon59
09-30-2008, 06:19 PM
He is for real. One reason he didn't do much against those teams was that Sam Baker, who has played very well, was out. Out half of the Tampa game I believe, the whole Carolina game.

BamaFalcon59
09-30-2008, 06:20 PM
^^ Jamaal Anderson?

Yes.

But Anderson is like a mime. He tries to get to the QB but there is an invisible wall keeping him from getting there. That and he is slow as mollasses.

MetSox17
09-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Yes.

But Anderson is like a mime. He tries to get to the QB but there is an invisible wall keeping him from getting there. That and he is slow as mollasses.

So then he's a scrub, and not part of the "bright" Atlanta future.

Wootylicous
09-30-2008, 06:31 PM
That lazy fat kid standing on the d-line ?

CC.SD
09-30-2008, 06:32 PM
He is absolutely the real deal and you can see it every time he bulldozes somebody and takes off.

d34ng3l021
09-30-2008, 06:42 PM
So then he's a scrub, and not part of the "bright" Atlanta future.

So far, most defnitely not. He is still only 22 so I'm kind enough to give him another year. After that, I will definitely be ragging on him non stop.

Bruce Banner
09-30-2008, 06:43 PM
So far, most defnitely not. He is still only 22 so I'm kind enough to give him another year. After that, I will definitely be ragging on him non stop.

Did you know Gaines Adams is going on 26? That was one of the reasons I would have been fine taking Anderson instead, not so much anymore.

d34ng3l021
09-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Did you know Gaines Adams is going on 26? That was one of the reasons I would have been fine taking Anderson instead, not so much anymore.

If the Bucs took Jamaal Anderson, then the Redskins might have taken Gaines Adams. If the Redskins took Gaines Adams, the Falcons would have either ended up with

http://temple3.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/776j3m50.jpg

or

http://www.normannow.com/community/files/imagecache/Display/files/imagecache/display/adrian-peterson-2.jpg

If only you were GM.

BamaFalcon59
09-30-2008, 06:53 PM
http://temple3.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/776j3m50.jpg

or

http://www.normannow.com/community/files/imagecache/Display/files/imagecache/display/adrian-peterson-2.jpg

Urge to orgasm present.

Landry looks, and is, like such a badass.

Bruce Banner
09-30-2008, 06:55 PM
I'll take the best runner in the NFL please!

d34ng3l021
09-30-2008, 06:59 PM
I love Adrian Peterson, but Landry just seems so much cooler to me. Maybe cause safety is my favorite position and Landry is just the epitome of badass long range hard hitting safety in the NFL today.

BamaFalcon59
09-30-2008, 07:02 PM
I agree. Peterson is so, so good. But Landry would just be fun to have on the team.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-30-2008, 07:25 PM

Join Bama and I. It's quite fun. It's like laughing at yourself. If you were a unproductive fatass who steals money and is a waste of space.

d34ng3l021
09-30-2008, 07:38 PM
I still want to be able to say I told you so incase he turns it around. Remember people calling for Roddy's head in his first 2 seasons?

ATLDirtyBirds
09-30-2008, 07:42 PM
I still want to be able to say I told you so incase he turns it around. Remember people calling for Roddy's head in his first 2 seasons?

WR's breaking out in their 3rd year? Not unheard of. Defensive ends who play their first 20 games without recording a sack (note, with a elite pass rusher on the other side)? Good luck with that. No one is saying he can't become anything. He's really terrible right now though, and is more of a detriment then anything.

BamaFalcon59
09-30-2008, 07:58 PM
WR's breaking out in their 3rd year? Not unheard of. Defensive ends who play their first 20 games without recording a sack (note, with a elite pass rusher on the other side)? Good luck with that. No one is saying he can't become anything. He's really terrible right now though, and is more of a detriment then anything.

I agree. I don't expect ten sacks his first season. Or even his second season. But having NO sacks, and very little pressure, through 20 games is horrible.

JMO, but when he was a WR turning into a DE he kept growing, and he hit 'ideal' size at like 275. But after growing for four years it is hard to stop. So now he is just fat.