PDA

View Full Version : NFL Network's Top Ten Clutch Quarterbacks.

Ness
09-30-2008, 01:11 AM
10. Dan Marino.
9. Steve Young.
8. Bart Starr.
7. Otto Graham.
6. Ken Stabler.
5. Johnny Unitas.
4. Roger Staubach.
3. Tom Brady.
2. John Elway.
1. Joe Montana.

Some honorable mentions: Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, Kurt Warner.

MetSox17
09-30-2008, 01:13 AM
The guy with the second highest winning percentage in the playoffs and with three superbowl rings not even in the top ten is a joke.

Shane P. Hallam
09-30-2008, 01:32 AM
It's not best, just clutch.

d34ng3l021
09-30-2008, 01:56 AM
Definitely liking that top 3.

d34ng3l021
09-30-2008, 01:57 AM
It's not best, just clutch.

What is up with the sig? What happened to LiBid?

giantsfan
09-30-2008, 01:58 AM
Eli Manning and Jay Cutler will be on that list or worthy of that list by the time each retires.

Ness
09-30-2008, 01:59 AM
The guy with the second highest winning percentage in the playoffs and with three superbowl rings not even in the top ten is a joke.
How many 4th quarter comebacks does he have anyways?

Dam8610
09-30-2008, 03:31 AM
Peyton Manning has more 4th quarter comebacks than #5 and #3 (not sure about the others, but I know that he has more than those two), including the only 4th quarter comeback in a game between himself and #3 (in a playoff game no less), which begs the question: How do they define "clutch"?

Out of curiosity, does anyone have the 4th quarter comeback numbers for any/all of these guys? I know Manning has 32 total, Unitas has 31, and Brady has 28.

Ness
09-30-2008, 05:21 AM
Peyton Manning has more 4th quarter comebacks than #5 and #3 (not sure about the others, but I know that he has more than those two), including the only 4th quarter comeback in a game between himself and #3 (in a playoff game no less), which begs the question: How do they define "clutch"?

Out of curiosity, does anyone have the 4th quarter comeback numbers for any/all of these guys? I know Manning has 32 total, Unitas has 31, and Brady has 28.

Yes, but Peyton early on in his career never came through in the really big games. Actually the only one I can think of where his team was behind and it was a very important game where he didn't choke was the AFC championship during their Super Bowl run.

I'm actually surprised Marino made the list.

MetSox17
09-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Fourth quarter comebacks are overrated and over-used. Unless your defense is complete crap and you're caught in a shootout, why is your team down going into the fourth quarter in the first place? I'd take the body of work in huge games any day over whether a guy brought his team back. Which is why, again, Troy Aikman not even being in the top ten, when a guy that has never won a Superbowl was in there, is a joke.

BeerBaron
09-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Bull ******* **** to Marino that low. Iirc, only Elway had more 4th quarter comebacks at the end of his career.

Marino gets **** on so much and I hate it. If I could have any QB in their prime, it would be him. He was the 2nd winningest to Elway when he retired, 2nd most 4th quarter comebacks when he retired I believe....never had any help. It was as if the Dolphins were just trying to make him win on his own. He just threw passes to anyone and everyone and if they didn't catch it, he let them know about it.

ok....vented, lol

Bruce Banner
09-30-2008, 11:30 AM
What is up with the sig? What happened to LiBid?

He died. Check the off-topic thread.

That top three is about right, T-Brad should be #2 when it's all said and done.

Burns336
09-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Yes, but Peyton early on in his career never came through in the really big games. Actually the only one I can think of where his team was behind and it was a very important game where he didn't choke was the AFC championship during their Super Bowl run.

I'm actually surprised Marino made the list.

Why, Marino had a ton of 4th quarter comebacks. I was watching a replay of Montana Vs. Elway the other night and they flashed a stat of Montana with 26, Elway with 25, and Marino with 35 4th quarter comebacks.

Montana was on the chiefs in this game so I'm guessing he didn't add too many more.

BeerBaron
09-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Why, Marino had a ton of 4th quarter comebacks. I was watching a replay of Montana Vs. Elway the other night and they flashed a stat of Montana with 26, Elway with 25, and Marino with 35 4th quarter comebacks.

Montana was on the chiefs in this game so I'm guessing he didn't add too many more.

aye, like i said, i believe Marino was 2nd to Elway when all was said and done...only behind by 1 i think.

Ness
09-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Fourth quarter comebacks are overrated and over-used. Unless your defense is complete crap and you're caught in a shootout, why is your team down going into the fourth quarter in the first place? I'd take the body of work in huge games any day over whether a guy brought his team back. Which is why, again, Troy Aikman not even being in the top ten, when a guy that has never won a Superbowl was in there, is a joke.

How is the ability for a quarterback to make good decisions during a crucial moment in the game overrated and over-used? That's a quality few quarterbacks have been able to perform well at a consistent level. Which is what the list is about.

Teams aren't always going to be ahead. There will be times when you have to pass the ball down the field for the winning score with little time left in the contest. I don't see how the ability to show composure and help your team out in that fashion is overrated.

Ness
09-30-2008, 08:30 PM

Yeah, but when the really big games mattered...such as in the playoffs he came up short. But he does have a lot of regular 4th quarter comebacks so I guess that's what he made the list.

BeerBaron
09-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Yeah, but when the really big games mattered...such as in the playoffs he came up short. But he does have a lot of regular 4th quarter comebacks so I guess that's what he made the list.

he never had a defense nor weapons.....it was all Marino. come the playoffs, it was him vs. truly great teams like the Bills and Broncos and such.

Those Dolphins teams really had no business ever being close to the playoffs. It was all Marino.

Why...I believe until just last year, the Dolphins were the winningest team since the merger. (I think they got passed by the Steelers last season) and a big reason for that was the 17 seasons in the middle that Marino carried the team.

And what happened as soon as he retired? They get Ricky Williams and Chris Chambers and defenders like Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas come into their own...and then they lack a QB.

No one shits on Marino while I'm around. You can have your Montana's and Elway's and Unitas's, I won't talk them down, great players all, but give me the first overall pick in an all time NFL player draft, and I'm going Marino hands down. Guy was a beast and had the least help of any of those guys, yet right there he was slinging that football to anyone with hands.

MetSox17
09-30-2008, 08:39 PM
How is the ability for a quarterback to make good decisions during a crucial moment in the game overrated and over-used? That's a quality few quarterbacks have been able to perform well at a consistent level. Which is what the list is about.

Teams aren't always going to be ahead. There will be times when you have to pass the ball down the field for the winning score with little time left in the contest. I don't see how the ability to show composure and help your team out in that fashion is overrated.

I'll take performances as a whole, in big games (playoffs) any day over fourth quarter comebacks.

giantsfan
09-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Metsox how can you deny that the ability to drive your team for an important score when the game is on the line is crucial aspect to being an elite QB. Having that type of a QB, the guy who you're confident will score when the chips are down is worth much more than the guy who's had good all-around games, but hasn't carried his teams to victory at the crucial moments.

As for the all-time lcutch list I'd go Unitas, Elway, marino, Montana for my top 4. Unitas was the ultimate clutch QB, whenever watching tape of him when he stepped on the field you expected a score, a close family friend turned me on to unitas at a young age, he was just ice cold.

Ness
09-30-2008, 10:31 PM
I'll take performances as a whole, in big games (playoffs) any day over fourth quarter comebacks.

I'm sure anyone would. But you can still have a good performance during the majority of the game and still be forced to lead your team down the field for the winning score.

Ness
09-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Jake Plummer and Aaron Brooks weren't very good quarterbacks in the long run, but they had a bunch of 4th quarter comebacks.

Dam8610
09-30-2008, 11:05 PM

But that's the thing, the Colts defense was garbage for so many of Manning's years that he has had to lead the team back in a lot of shootouts. He threw 5 TD passes in a loss one year. I thought turning losses into wins was what "clutch" QBs did.

d34ng3l021
09-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Matty Ice is gonna be up there one day.

BeerBaron
09-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Jake Plummer and Aaron Brooks weren't very good quarterbacks in the long run, but they had a bunch of 4th quarter comebacks.

thats true. I believe Plummer led the league during the years he was with the Broncos. pretty interesting....

he was a better QB when he retired than many who were still playing.

J-Shock
10-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Brady was more clutch than Elway.

In the 4th quarter or OT Brooks has 16 comebacks only behind Brady.

Good QB? Decent. Clutch? Yes.

Gay Ork Wang
10-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Cause it always depends on the QB if ur team is leading or not...

MetSox17
10-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Cause it always depends on the QB if ur team is leading or not...

Oh yeah, and the QB pass-blocks and catches the balls he throws in the fourth quarter as well, right? :rolleyes:

You can't make the team-game argument only when it's to your convenience.

scottyboy
10-01-2008, 05:00 PM
I could be clutch handing the ball off to Emmit Smith and lobbing it up to freak-of-nature/coke addict Irvin

MetSox17
10-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Do we really need to go here? He has been the Superbowl MVP, he's second in playoff winning percentage, and let's not forget that these other guys weren't on teams with scrubs, either (aside from Marino).

Bruce Banner
10-01-2008, 05:17 PM
There is a quote somewhere by Michael Smith that explains individual contributions in football.
Basically it sums up MetSox's point nicely.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Quarterbacks that win in the 4th show they have "it", that killer instinct you want all of your players to have. You are either born with it or you aren't. It separates the great from the good.

ChezPower4
10-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Favre not on the list... that's kinda hard to believe