PDA

View Full Version : Lane Kiffin fired

S4L
09-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Just on Sportscenter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3617977

Young Legend
09-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Tom Cable Please!!!!!! we cant lose that man.

and without pay!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3617977

eaglesalltheway
09-30-2008, 12:07 PM
I knew it would happen this week, though I'm sure a lot of people did as well. I wonder what happens with Kiffen now. I'm sure someone will pick him up relatively shortly.

BeerBaron
09-30-2008, 12:08 PM
He'll probably find himself a nice college job when one opens in the offseason.

I wouldn't be against taking a look at him at OC if the Bears decide to let go of Ron Turner...

diabsoule
09-30-2008, 12:11 PM
There have been plenty of rumors connecting him with the soon to be Syracuse HC vacancy.

I personally would love to see him on the Saints staff. I think he would help us utilize Bush more.

In order to get rid of the stigma of being a failed HC in the NFL he's either going to have to become an OC in the NFL or a HC on the collegiate level. Personally, I think he'd be better off going into the college ranks. I think his game translates more to that level.

Hawk
09-30-2008, 12:14 PM
University of Tennessee.

Fat Phil is gone after this year.

T-RICH49
09-30-2008, 12:17 PM
I'd love to see him come to KC

Jughead10
09-30-2008, 12:25 PM
How does he get fired without pay? The contract is guaranteed. The Raiders are a joke.

FlyingElvis
09-30-2008, 12:32 PM
^ Yup. And they will continue to be a joke as long as Al Davis still has a heartbeat. Unless he is undead, in which case the Raiders fans are truly screwed.

Cribbs>Hester
09-30-2008, 12:39 PM
University of Tennessee.

Fat Phil is gone after this year.

Noooo no no no. That job is for Brian Kelly some please get the man a gig with a respectable school with the ability to lure better athletes!

Young Legend
09-30-2008, 12:40 PM
How does he get fired without pay? The contract is guaranteed. The Raiders are a joke.

Insubordination..

Im_a_Romosexual
09-30-2008, 01:15 PM
So Oakland really is the black hole of coaches...

locseti
09-30-2008, 01:20 PM
You will never learn how to swallow your pride, will you Al.

HawkeyeFan
09-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Wow, thats a friggin horrid move. Kiffin was doing damn good with what he had.

Sorry Raider fans.

vidae
09-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Come to KC, be our new QB coach. Maybe then we'll be able to develop a QB who can win a game in the NFL!

T-RICH49
09-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Come to KC, be our new QB coach. Maybe then we'll be able to develop a QB who can win a game in the NFL!

yeah what he said plus you could stick it to Al

BeerBaron
09-30-2008, 03:07 PM
There have been plenty of rumors connecting him with the soon to be Syracuse HC vacancy.

see, i've heard that won't happen because Al Davis graduated from there and is a significant donor...

so they won't hire him.

A Perfect Score
09-30-2008, 03:28 PM
What a stupid ******* move. I mean, this isnt even my team and it upsets me. Kiffin was doing everything he could with a **** team and he still gets canned because Al Davis is a ******* moron. I mean, if I was a raider fan, i would be so upset right now. Not to mention this is the worst thing that could happen to Jamarcus Russell. Just as he starts progressing he has to learn a whole new offense. This is how new QBs in the league get ruined. Get a ******* clue Al you idiot. I really hope Kiffin gets another shot in the NFL. Good luck finding someone else to coach your team now you ******* moron.

D-Unit
09-30-2008, 03:46 PM
This all wouldn't have been a problem if Al had let Lane bring his dad in as DC. Lane and Monty would've been amazing.

Now what? Does Ryan not get the job? The guy Al desperately wanted to keep? If so, why all this talk of interviewing candidates? Who's willing to go there now? Art Shell? This is really wacky. Al has gone bonkers.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Russell doesn't have to learn a new offense yet. Tom Cable and Greg Knapp should keep the same thing going for the rest of the season.

Next year should see a change though.

edit - I see that this hasn't been said yet. Offensive Line Coach Tom Cable is now the head coach.

PackerLegend
09-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Lucky for Raider fans Al Davis will find a way to live until he is 150 and still be in charge.

Al Davis has to go until that happens it wont get any better.

Tampa 2 4 life
09-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Al Davis just said:

7 days before the draft, Lane came up to him and said he did not want Jamarcus, Al replied "GET OVER IT.".

Awesome.

Twiddler
09-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Well, good luck in the future Lane, I'm sure there's a job out there for him. Seriously though, this might have been good for him. First of all, when he was hired he wasn't getting consideration for top NFL jobs (besides from the Raiders of course). So now that teams see that he is an up and comer in the coaching world he might get some interviews this year and might get a job, which he should. That and he no longer works with Al Davis, another positive.

vidae
09-30-2008, 05:24 PM
He never had a shot in Oakland.

brat316
09-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Kiffin to the Lions I'm calling it, well there maybe to much damage done there.

Kiffin to the Rams instead

P-L
09-30-2008, 05:34 PM
I don't think Kiffin gets a head coaching job next year in the NFL.

ChezPower4
09-30-2008, 05:35 PM
He'll probably find himself a nice college job when one opens in the offseason.

I wouldn't be against taking a look at him at OC if the Bears decide to let go of Ron Turner...

Most likely college but i think he would be a really good cordinator, he's a good coach and i thought that the Raiders should have kept him

D-Unit
09-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Al Davis just said:

7 days before the draft, Lane came up to him and said he did not want Jamarcus, Al replied "GET OVER IT.".

Awesome.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Al Davis is a stupid stupid man. ...and JaMarcus will be a bust as I've said all along. He was drafted for his strong arm. Nothing else.

Maybe Kiffin will get to coach one of the guys he wanted all along... Calvin Johnson or Brady Quinn.

BlindSite
09-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Well if Garrett gets promoted by Jerry Jones, this offseason they could probably use a decent OC.

There's still the lions job, the rams job and probably another one or two we don't really see coming in the offseason.

Xiomera
09-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Kiffin will probably be the next Lions GM.

Dr. Gonzo
09-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Kiffin will probably be the next Lions GM.

Nah, Al David will pull double duty just to get a shot at GMing the Lions.

Vox Populi
09-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Don't forget about the head coaching position in Seattle that is opening up after the season. Holmgren has already made it very clear that this is his last season as a coach. For now at least. I think Lane could do a good job with the Seahawks offense, even as the coordinator if they do in fact make Mora Jr. the coach there.

Ultimately though I see Lane going back to the college game for a head coaching gig. He is still younger than some NFL players and to me that would have to present some kind of deterrent in his hiring from a respect stand point. Some players have been around the game longer than he has. In college Lane can re-establish himself as a fantastic play caller and make a team into something respectable.

I think Lane is a Pac-10, Big East or ACC coach. He just doesn't seem like a Big 12, SEC or Big 10 team. It sounds stupid, but I don't think his coaching style fits in with the playing styles of those conferences.

I have hated Al Davis for a long time now ever since Gruden left, but ****, he needs to retire now.

adschofield
09-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Don't forget about the head coaching position in Seattle that is opening up after the season. Holmgren has already made it very clear that this is his last season as a coach. For now at least. I think Lane could do a good job with the Seahawks offense, even as the coordinator if they do in fact make Mora Jr. the coach there.

Ultimately though I see Lane going back to the college game for a head coaching gig. He is still younger than some NFL players and to me that would have to present some kind of deterrent in his hiring from a respect stand point. Some players have been around the game longer than he has. In college Lane can re-establish himself as a fantastic play caller and make a team into something respectable.

I think Lane is a Pac-10, Big East or ACC coach. He just doesn't seem like a Big 12, SEC or Big 10 team. It sounds stupid, but I don't think his coaching style fits in with the playing styles of those conferences.

I have hated Al Davis for a long time now ever since Gruden left, but ****, he needs to retire now.

Why? The Big 12 probably airs it out the most out of all those conferences

MetSox17
09-30-2008, 06:18 PM

Yeah, definitely. If he goes to the college game, i'd imagine it would be the Pac-10, SEC or Big 12. Those are the most pro-oriented offensive teams, which was what Lane did at SC.

vidae
09-30-2008, 06:19 PM
I thought it was set in stone that Mora was taking over for Holmgren in 2009?

And I really do think Kiffin should become a OC/QB coach somewhere. Like I said, he would do really well here in KC. Too bad it won't happen.

Vox Populi
09-30-2008, 06:34 PM

I dunno, I said it was stupid, Its more a feeling than anything logical lol.

Hawk
09-30-2008, 06:34 PM
By the looks of this picture Raider fans shouldn't have to wait much longer
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/CAPS108093018_lower.jpg

BlindSite
09-30-2008, 06:36 PM
I thought it was set in stone that Mora was taking over for Holmgren in 2009?

And I really do think Kiffin should become a OC/QB coach somewhere. Like I said, he would do really well here in KC. Too bad it won't happen.

There's more than one example of this sort of plan no panning out in the NFL.

CC.SD
09-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Well, no surprise. The worst part is that Oakland has legitimate potential and it's being wasted. Did I say worst part? I meant "the completely predictable part."

Long live Al Davis.

Canadian_draft_fan
09-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Asomugha was just on NFL network and he said the locker room was solidly behind Kiffin and felt he was on his way to changing the Raiders losing culture. He then went on to mention that he has had 5 HCs in his 6 seasons. He didn't say it but you could tell he was tired of being in Davis' 3 ring circus. I doubt he will be back with the Raiders next season.

mqtirishfan
09-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Asomugha was just on NFL network and he said the locker room was solidly behind Kiffin and felt he was on his way to changing the Raiders losing culture. He then went on to mention that he has had 5 HCs in his 6 seasons. He didn't say it but you could tell he was tired of being in Davis' 3 ring circus. I doubt he will be back with the Raiders next season.
Green Bay will have its door open.

locseti
09-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Has anyone seen the whole presser with Al? Judging by the way he looks I can't believe he's still all there mentally. That stuff about Petrino leaving in the middle of the season to beat Kiffin to the Arkansas job, wow, Al still knows all the inner workings of the league.

adschofield
09-30-2008, 07:21 PM
I dunno, I said it was stupid, Its more a feeling than anything logical lol.

I feel ya...The Big 12 kinda has the smashmouth feel

adschofield
09-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Has anyone seen the whole presser with Al? Judging by the way he looks I can't believe he's still all there mentally. That stuff about Petrino leaving in the middle of the season to beat Kiffin to the Arkansas job, wow, Al still knows all the inner workings of the league.

"I can't believe he's still all there mentally"

O RLY?

locseti
09-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Honestly, he looks like he should be in the latter stages of demensia, but for some unfathomable reason he is still completely present and a pretty articulate speaker.

adschofield
09-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Honestly, he looks like he should be in the latter stages of demensia, but for some unfathomable reason he is still completely present and a pretty articulate speaker.

Articulate? Yes. Logical? No.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-30-2008, 07:34 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Al Davis is a stupid stupid man. ...and JaMarcus will be a bust as I've said all along. He was drafted for his strong arm. Nothing else.

Maybe Kiffin will get to coach one of the guys he wanted all along... Calvin Johnson or Brady Quinn.
If Kiffin had his way we'd probably have CJ and Trent Edwards.

BlindSite
09-30-2008, 07:39 PM
And a winning record.

Tampa 2 4 life
09-30-2008, 07:43 PM
If Kiffin had his way we'd probably have CJ and Trent Edwards.

Both those players are terrible.

ImBrotherCain
09-30-2008, 08:19 PM
I have always like Kiffin and i think he will make a great coach in the NFL he just needs the right situation and everyone knows Oakland wasnt it. Some one mentioned it earlier, but Kiffin to the Lions sounds like a good fit to me.

and im sure everyone knows this but as i was watching the press confrence and all i could think was this is the most creepy looking person i have ever seen and he goes out of his way to make kiffin look like the bad guy so when he appeals the fact hes not getting paid he wont win.

This is prob a common analogy but come on no wonder hes killing all the Raiders fans dreams

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/CAPS108093018_lower.jpg
http://costumzee.com/view/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/freddy.jpg

giantsfan
09-30-2008, 09:14 PM
I hope Palmer does something stupid and gets himself fired, then have Coughlin bring in Kiffin as the QB coach here and promptly make him the OC after the season and booting Killdrive. My would that be awesome.

Stash
09-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Sucks being a Raiders fan right now, we just lost a good coach. The only good part about all this is we don't have to worry about it anymore. No more "does Lane get fired this week" crap, now we can just focus on losing.

I have to agree with what Locseti said; if you look at Al you might think he's gonna kick any time, but when you hear him talk it sounds as if he's still going strong. That just makes this situation all the worse because with our luck he'll live another ten years.

D-Unit
10-01-2008, 12:16 AM
What I don't get about it is why Al Davis said he's embarrassed that he picked the wrong guy. LMAO. He's always picking the wrong guy. Is there another owner out there that has fired more guys?

Flyboy
10-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Al Davis just said:

Awesome.

That's tremendous.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-01-2008, 03:17 AM
I've been avoiding Raider forums lately because they have become the definition of cluster****.

The Al Davis press conference made me sad. He's in his own little world, insulated by yes men, constantly hopeful about the future and constantly undermining that potential success. It's more tragic than anything else. If it hadn't already reached that point, my ability to root for my team is seriously undermined by the fact that I'm not sure I like the people running it or many of the players on it, a fact that should be compounded when the Raiders are eventually left with DeAngelo Hall as the star corner instead of Asomugha.

I refuse to take any more of this team's ****.

BeerBaron
10-01-2008, 09:19 AM
“You’re going to have to have me around for a while,” Davis said. “My mother, you know, she lived a long time, 103.”

sorry Raiders fans....he's got the family history going on his side

FlyingElvis
10-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Nah, he'll never make it that long if he stays on as the face of the Raiders franchise. Some die-hard Raider fan will eventually snap and assassinate him.

HawkeyeFan
10-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Nah, he'll never make it that long if he stays on as the face of the Raiders franchise. Some die-hard Raider fan will eventually snap and assassinate him.

It'd be more like a siege or beheading of some sort
http://theassociation.blogs.com/the_association/raider%20fan.jpg

FlyingElvis
10-01-2008, 10:30 AM
lol. Maybe Al will walk to close to the Black Hole and they pull him in and tear him apart zombie-movie style! That would rock.

HawkeyeFan
10-01-2008, 10:34 AM
lol. Maybe Al will walk to close to the Black Hole and they pull him in and tear him apart zombie-movie style! That would rock.

Does he even have a wife :p

eaglesalltheway
10-01-2008, 10:58 AM
For those of you that haven't seen it yet, check out Superkevin's painting of Al Davis in the off-topic forum. Its on the last page in the thread right now.

BuddyCHRIST
10-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Al comes off as an ass here, taking personal shots at Lane in the press conference, Lane was always very professional with the media in spite of weird circumstances. Al was mad that Lane said he hadn't talked to him when he had, all Lane was doing was dodging the question about getting fired, what else could he do? He's trying to keep control of his football team. Lane did better than I expected with all the terrible personell decisions theyve made the past few years. I came away impressed the way Lane handled a crazy owner and lots of me-oriented players.

BlindSite
10-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Lane Kiffin should write a book and make a ******* fortune.

Matthew Jones
10-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Commitment to Excrement.

EricCartmann
10-01-2008, 09:33 PM
I like the way Kiffin handled himself. He looked sad but was still very professional. Davis looked like a beeyotch ho trying to get every penny from her ex after she cheats on him. I don't like to wish bad things on people so I won't wish for his assination, but I do hope he see's the light and just retire.

10-01-2008, 09:42 PM
“You’re going to have to have me around for a while,” Davis said. “My mother, you know, she lived a long time, 103.”

Yeah, not to mention I believe he has another brother close to his age still going strong too .

Xonraider
10-01-2008, 10:54 PM

I don't wish his death, I just want him gone, but did you happen to see him at the conference? He looks terrible.

Lane Kiffin should write a book and make a ******* fortune.

Hell, I'd buy it