PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Grant a fluke?

D-Unit
09-30-2008, 04:11 PM
I compare him to Julius Jones, another ND RB who had a hot start then fizzled as fast as he rose. But I can't really compare him to Julius now that Julius is in a better situation and doing well than compared to what he was in Dallas.

So I say... who are the believers and who are the doubters? and who is right out of the 2?

Bruce Banner
09-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Once you venture outside of AD, LT, MBIII, etc, it becomes stale.

A RB is a RB is a RB.

Grant is no different.

drowe
09-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Ryan Grant was absolutely a fluke. he has nothing going for him now.
no burst, no vision, as he pretty much looks for people to tackle him. he goes down easy...but, at least he fumbles a lot.

i'm calling RB as the Packers' #1 need this off season.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Only because he's on my fantasy team.

djp
09-30-2008, 04:15 PM
I think everyone outside of Green Bay knew that he was a definite fluke...

I still think he can be a decent RB, he will never be as successful as he was last year, imo.

Dr. Gonzo
09-30-2008, 04:18 PM
I got flamed by Packer fans for saying it before but I have no doubt he is a fluke. I don't think he is as terrible as he is playing now but he is a below average starting RB and for that matter he would probably only be an average backup RB.

ShutDwn
09-30-2008, 04:20 PM

A RB is a RB is a RB.

Grant is no different.

There are a lot more runningbacks that aren't "stale"

Hawk
09-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Only because he's on my fantasy team.

quoted for truth

PackerLegend
09-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Wow a little over the top there.... Grant has been plagued by a hammy and well we all know those heal overnight :rolleyes: they can continue to nag throughout an entire season... Grant is suppose to be close to 100% but he says he isnt their yet. So hes fumbled twice, we have seen that not taking many hits early in the year can cause this. Our O-line has been in a constant shuffle and they havent had anytime together. Now that they do things should improve and if they dont I will then be worried. At this moment I am concerned but Im also not going to overeact. Part of the blame has to be put on Grant because yes we have seen him miss some holes, but I would also blame the o-line as well. I think they have been a bit overated and at times arent opening anything up.

Do I think he is an AD or LT .... No way but I do think he can be a good back

Bruce Banner
09-30-2008, 04:22 PM
There are a lot more runningbacks that aren't "stale"

A RB is a RB is a RB.

Dime a dozen. Not stale but nothing to write home about.

Im_a_Romosexual
09-30-2008, 04:31 PM
I never bought into him, although I don't think I ever said so on this sight. It always seemed he would have one long run that made his numbers look a lot better than what they would have.

wicket
09-30-2008, 04:36 PM

A RB is a RB is a RB.

Grant is no different.

Are you seriously naming barber the third running back in the league? r u kidding me

Bruce Banner
09-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Are you seriously naming barber the third running back in the league? r u kidding me

Yep, I'm doing that. :rolleyes:

I just listed a few backs that I consider elite.

For future reference. Using the word "seriously" in the same post as "r u", isn't a winning formula.

Twiddler
09-30-2008, 04:49 PM
I think its very possible but I'd like to see a little more than just four games. I might get flamed for saying that (who am I kidding, I will) but I think more than one game with a complete starting offensive line will show us how good he is, no matter what the results are. Really though, no one knows for sure how he's going to turn out this year, its only four games so far (not to mention that he was way behind because of holding out and his hamstring) just like it was only 10 games last year that he played in significantly. So as of now, Grant is a mystery, but my gut is still telling me to be prepared to be underwhelmed.

PACKmanN
09-30-2008, 04:57 PM
I don't think anyone thought he was anything special...I for sure didn't, since I wanted Felix. But, he has been bother by injuries from the start of TC.

umphrey
09-30-2008, 05:01 PM
He hasn't had much running room. I expected a lot more out of him. It looks like he's running without inspiration this year. He's fast but this year that just helps him run into a defender quicker.

Bruce Banner
09-30-2008, 05:02 PM
It looks like he's running without inspiration this year.

He was running for a contract last year. Not so much anymore.

Xiomera
09-30-2008, 05:04 PM
I think he is suffering from PFS (Post-Favre Syndrome).

Twiddler
09-30-2008, 05:09 PM
I think he is suffering from PFS (Post-Favre Syndrome).

Eh, that may be part of it, but I don't think that would account for all of it. I think a lot of this is on Grant.

He was running for a contract last year. Not so much anymore.

I don't think that that is the case as much as most would believe. Yeah, I doubt he is running with the same passion because he did in fact get paid pretty well, but a great majority of the contract is incentive based. If he's fine with the $4.25 million that he is guaranteed then he probably is slacking, but he still could stand to earn a lot more.

comahan
09-30-2008, 05:14 PM
I thought it said 'flake'

I was going to agree.

P-L
09-30-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm not sure that he's as bad as he's been playing, but I never thought he'd continue to be as successful as he was last year.

bearsfan_51
09-30-2008, 05:25 PM
I've been doubting him since last year and predicted a serious decline.

That didn't stop me from signing him in one of our fantasy auctions though. At least I've got the handicap.

Mr.Regular
09-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Yeah, he pretty much sucks. No vision, misses holes, doesnt make anyone miss, no speed burst, and he cant hold on to the ball. Of course he has been hampered by an injury and our o-line has been brutal this year, but when hes had his chances he does nothing.

scottyboy
09-30-2008, 06:02 PM
I've seen the kid play since high school(he'd trounce my hometown school annually) and watched him quite a bit at ND and then on the Giants. I knew he was a pretty good runner, deserving of a #2 spot on a team, getting anywhere between 5-10 carries a game, but he's not #1 starting back material. He did well in what? 8? 10? games. even in the playoffs he started to decline(mainly the Giants game). He's a nice option to have, but shouldn't be a starting back

ShutDwn
09-30-2008, 06:20 PM
A RB is a RB is a RB.

Dime a dozen. Not stale but nothing to write home about.

Are you saying that other than the three you listed, LT, Peterson and Barber, the rest are dime a dozen?

Because there are quite a few that I don't consider dime a dozen.

MetSox17
09-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Are you saying that other than the three you listed, LT, Peterson and Barber, the rest are dime a dozen?

Wow, you people need to use a little common sense before trying to attack a person's posts. He obviously didn't mean those were the only ones worth anything, cause he said "etcetera". Geezus, context clues people.

BlindSite
09-30-2008, 06:23 PM

Why? Steven Jacksons and Brian Westbrooks come along every year.

Geo
09-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Not a fluke, way to overreact. It's only a quarter of the way into the season, Grant is going to get going and soon at that.

LOL, if it wasn't for the Packers cautiously trying to ease him in, he would have put a consecutive hundy on the Vikings defense. Give me a break.

LonghornsLegend
09-30-2008, 06:30 PM
I'll give him right now his hammy is more then likely still bothering him, I mean its not like he changed teams, but right now he's just not running effective, bad hammy mixed in with little training camp spells trouble especially if your not a seasoned vet.

He won't get that pass all year, or very long for that matter, but I'm willing to give him some time, but if he looks like crap vs Detroit you really have to wonder, if it's making him this in-effective he needs to be sitting out.

sweetness34
09-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Why? Steven Jacksons and Brian Westbrooks come along every year.

Oh really. Give me some examples of the Jackson's and Westbrooks of the past decade?

If Jackson had an OL to block for him he'd put up ridiculous numbers, and Westbrook is arguably the most complete back in the NFL (and yes I know about that LT guy out West).

Bruce Banner
09-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Thanks metsox.

ShutDwn
09-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Wow, you people need to use a little common sense before trying to attack a person's posts. He obviously didn't mean those were the only ones worth anything, cause he said "etcetera". Geezus, context clues people.

Attacking? No one is attacking anyone, chill.

MetSox17
09-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Not a fluke, way to overreact. It's only a quarter of the way into the season, Grant is going to get going and soon at that.

LOL, if it wasn't for the Packers cautiously trying to ease him in, he would have put a consecutive hundy on the Vikings defense. Give me a break.

Oh yeah, LOL, cause if it weren't for one lucky run all year, he'd have a putrid 2.38 YPC. Oh, but he woulda put up a consecutive hundy on the Vikes, right? :rolleyes:

In 54 tries outside his one long run, his longest would be of 9 yards. There's no way around that.

BlindSite
09-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Oh really. Give me some examples of the Jackson's and Westbrooks of the past decade?

If Jackson had an OL to block for him he'd put up ridiculous numbers, and Westbrook is arguably the most complete back in the NFL (and yes I know about that LT guy out West).

Sarcasm is stating the opposite of an intended meaning especially in order to sneeringly, slyly, jest or mock a person, situation or thing. It is strongly associated with irony (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony), with some definitions classifying it as a type of verbal irony intended to insult or wound. Sarcasm can also be used in a humorous or jesting way depending on the intent of the person speaking

Sarmisiopasm is often used as a form of humor and of emotional expression. For example, instead of becoming angry and yelling while in a conflict, one might choose to use sarcasm as an alternative.

"Sarcasm" appeared in English in 1579, from Late Latin "sarcasmos," in turn from Hellenistic or Medieval Greek "sarkasmos," and ancient Greek σαρκάζω (sarkazo, meaning 'to tear flesh'). (In ancient Greek the word for this idea was instead χλευασμός). Irony is closely associated with sarcasm, although Socrates (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socrates), considered the father of dissembling irony, was not sarcastic. Sarcasm is frequently referred to as the "lowest form of wit" (a partial mis-quote from Oscar Wilde (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Wilde) the quote in its entirety being "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence").

Thank you for frequenting Draftcountdown.com's NFL forum.

Bruce Banner
09-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Sarcasm is stating the opposite of an intended meaning especially in order to sneeringly, slyly, jest or mock a person, situation or thing. It is strongly associated with irony (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony), with some definitions classifying it as a type of verbal irony intended to insult or wound. Sarcasm can also be used in a humorous or jesting way depending on the intent of the person speaking

Sarmisiopasm is often used as a form of humor and of emotional expression. For example, instead of becoming angry and yelling while in a conflict, one might choose to use sarcasm as an alternative.

"Sarcasm" appeared in English in 1579, from Late Latin "sarcasmos," in turn from Hellenistic or Medieval Greek "sarkasmos," and ancient Greek σαρκάζω (sarkazo, meaning 'to tear flesh'). (In ancient Greek the word for this idea was instead χλευασμός). Irony is closely associated with sarcasm, although Socrates (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socrates), considered the father of dissembling irony, was not sarcastic. Sarcasm is frequently referred to as the "lowest form of wit" (a partial mis-quote from Oscar Wilde (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Wilde) the quote in its entirety being "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence").

Don't you have a Panthers related post to be making somewhere?

Geo
09-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Oh yeah, LOL, cause if it weren't for one lucky run all year, he'd have a putrid 2.38 YPC. Oh, but he woulda put up a consecutive hundy on the Vikes, right? :rolleyes:

In 54 tries outside his one long run, his longest would be of 9 yards. There's no way around that.
Grant delivers big runs though, and he's getting his explosiveness back (otherwise that long run against the Vikings is likely a TD).

Detroit decided they would shut the run down (uh, good call), and the Packers' offensive line struggled against the physical fronts of Dallas as well as Tampa at home where they play their best.

It's like knocking Matt Schaub for struggling so far, when the guy played at Pittsburgh and at Tennessee. Tough match-ups to start the schedule.

CC.SD
09-30-2008, 06:41 PM
I didn't even know Ryan Grant was thread-worthy.

BlindSite
09-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Don't you have a Panthers related post to be making somewhere?

Have you ever contributed a post football related to the boards, or do you just go around trying to mock people?

D-Unit
09-30-2008, 07:31 PM
I didn't even know Ryan Grant was thread-worthy.
HAHAHA. You're right. He's not. No more threads about the Tatum Bells, Ricky Williams' and Cedric Bensons' of the NFL.

BlindSite
09-30-2008, 07:37 PM
HAHAHA. You're right. He's not. No more threads about the Tatum Bells, Ricky Williams' and Cedric Bensons' of the NFL.

Benson has just signed with the Bengals too LOL. The bengals should just play to their strength. Steal all the other team's gear pre game so they can't play.

Bengalsrocket
09-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Sarcasm is stating the opposite of an intended meaning especially in order to sneeringly, slyly, jest or mock a person, situation or thing. It is strongly associated with irony, with some definitions classifying it as a type of verbal irony intended to insult or wound. Sarcasm can also be used in a humorous or jesting way depending on the intent of the person speaking

"Sarcasm" appeared in English in 1579, from Late Latin "sarcasmos," in turn from Hellenistic or Medieval Greek "sarkasmos," and ancient Greek σαρκάζω (sarkazo, meaning 'to tear flesh'). (In ancient Greek the word for this idea was instead χλευασμός). Irony is closely associated with sarcasm, although Socrates, considered the father of dissembling irony, was not sarcastic. Sarcasm is frequently referred to as the "lowest form of wit" (a partial mis-quote from Oscar Wilde the quote in its entirety being "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence").

Have you ever contributed a post football related to the boards, or do you just go around trying to mock people?

seems like you mock people a lot too though, unless I'm misinterpreting your posts.

PackerLegend
09-30-2008, 07:42 PM
He did well in what? 8? 10? games. even in the playoffs he started to decline(mainly the Giants game). He's a nice option to have, but shouldn't be a starting back

He did well??? How about turning one of the worst rushing teams at the start of last season around and making it one of the better ones. Decline in the playoffs??? 201 Yards againist the Seahawks is decline, almost a new NFL record in the playoffs? Ya he didnt put up 201 againist the Giants but he also only got the ball 13 times instead of 27.

This fluke of a runner is also the only person to put over 100 on the Vikings last year. He also almost put up 100 again week 1 and his hammy was poop then. And our o-line isnt that good so thats not why.

Ryan Grant againist the Vikings #1 Rush D last year, #3 Rush D this year

Week 10 2007- 25 Rushes, 119 Yards, 4.8 Avg
Week 1 2008 - 12 Rushes, 92 Yards, 7.7 Avg

Joseph Addai against the Vikings
Week 2 2008- 15 Rushes, 20 Yards, 1.3 Avg

DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart against the Vikings
Week 3 2008- (Williams) 10 Rushes, 27 Yards, 2.7 Avg
Week 3 2008- (Stewart) 7 Rushes, 15 Yards, 2.1 Avg

Chris Johnson and Lendale White against the Vikings
Week 4 2008- (Johnson) 17 Rushes, 61 Yards, 3.6 Avg
Week 4 2008- (White) 11 Rushes, 13 Yards, 1.2 Avg

LT against them last year.... 16 Rushes, 40 Yards, 2.5 Avg
Westbrook against them last year.... 21 Rushes, 46 Yards, 2.2 Avg

I give up.... Grant has had 2 awful games yes, But he has had 2 good games as well, I'll give him more time and wait until he sees the ball 20+ times instead of 12-13 max.

Minny Week 1- 12 Rushes, 92 yards, 7.7 Avg
Dallas Week 3- 13 Rushes, 54 yards, 4.2 Avg

scottyboy
09-30-2008, 08:18 PM
He did well??? How about turning one of the worst rushing teams at the start of last season around and making it one of the better ones. Decline in the playoffs??? 201 Yards againist the Seahawks is decline, almost a new NFL record in the playoffs? Ya he didnt put up 201 againist the Giants but he also only got the ball 13 times instead of 27.

This fluke of a runner is also the only person to put over 100 on the Vikings last year. He also almost put up 100 again week 1 and his hammy was poop then. And our o-line isnt that good so thats not why.

Ryan Grant againist the Vikings #1 Rush D last year, #3 Rush D this year

Week 10 2007- 25 Rushes, 119 Yards, 4.8 Avg
Week 1 2008 - 12 Rushes, 92 Yards, 7.7 Avg

Joseph Addai against the Vikings
Week 2 2008- 15 Rushes, 20 Yards, 1.3 Avg

DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart against the Vikings
Week 3 2008- (Williams) 10 Rushes, 27 Yards, 2.7 Avg
Week 3 2008- (Stewart) 7 Rushes, 15 Yards, 2.1 Avg

Chris Johnson and Lendale White against the Vikings
Week 4 2008- (Johnson) 17 Rushes, 61 Yards, 3.6 Avg
Week 4 2008- (White) 11 Rushes, 13 Yards, 1.2 Avg

LT against them last year.... 16 Rushes, 40 Yards, 2.5 Avg
Westbrook against them last year.... 21 Rushes, 46 Yards, 2.2 Avg

I give up.... Grant has had 2 awful games yes, But he has had 2 good games as well, I'll give him more time and wait until he sees the ball 20+ times instead of 12-13 max.

Minny Week 1- 12 Rushes, 92 yards, 7.7 Avg
Dallas Week 3- 13 Rushes, 54 yards, 4.2 Avg

since when is saying someone did well an insult? please unbunch your panties.

and he had what? 30something yards against the Giants? lets say he averaged 3.5 YPC(not too stellar). 3.5 YPC is the same on 13 carries or 43.

I complemented him and gave my opinion from seeing him for the past 8+ years, and you go all crazy.(he also fumbled twice against the aforementioned seahawks, who are also the softest team in the league, but I'll let that go...)

MetSox17
09-30-2008, 08:24 PM

Geez, i hate having to re-post, but c'mon. You run the ball 54 times, and the farthest you can get it down the field is 9 yards?

Saints-Tigers
09-30-2008, 09:28 PM
LOL, I kinda agree that runningbacks are a dime a dozen, but if Peterson and Tomlinson stand alone at the top, and you can put Marion Barber in there, you can definitely put a lot of others in that category. Barber doesn't strike me as that kind of back.... I mean, lets let him crack 1000 yards before we put him in a tier with Tomlinson who has been stellar since forever, and a guy that just came off one of the most spectacular rookie seasons we have seen, and is looking like he might explode again...

NY+Giants=NYG
09-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Undrafted FA back who had a great still set in a zone blocking scheme. Great scheme they have and creative OC in terms of formation and Xs and Os of the running plays they have.

BlindSite
09-30-2008, 10:46 PM
seems like you mock people a lot too though, unless I'm misinterpreting your posts.

You mistake it for the only thing I do.

the_legend_killer
09-30-2008, 10:59 PM
He's Samkon Gado that got a payday.

drowe
10-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Grant isn't even in the 'dime a dozen' category. he has nothing going for him, and he really is just a bad running back who had a few good games.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-01-2008, 08:57 AM
He is what he is, and the media and packer fans loved the story and hyped him up. He has good speed, good vision, and a great fit for a great offensive system. But now that teams have more film on him, they can adjust. I think he is a good RB, but was in a much, much, better system.

A Perfect Score
10-01-2008, 09:48 AM
I always thought he benefitted from that passing attack last year and the system run along the line...I have always thought that Brandon Jackson was going to beat him out for the starting position, but that may be more me being a fan of Jackson then an insult to Grant...

I think Grant can be an average starting RB in this league, nothing more. And while GB could most likely do better, Im sure they could do worse as well.

TitleTown088
10-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Ya duh. SO was that aron Rogers, just got lucky in two games, packers suk.lolz

NY+Giants=NYG
10-01-2008, 10:27 AM
LOL you feeling alright title?

FlyingElvis
10-01-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm pretty sure this was his team photo, so clearly he is, at the very least, part fluke.

http://www.geocities.com/area51/hollow/5126/fluke2.jpg

I think it's too early to call him a fluke. Like LJ last year and SJax this year, Grant missed most of camp & preseason and is showing the rust. Not that he's as good as either of them, but he will get back into game shape and start producing over the next week or 2. I doubt he'll be a top producer like he was down the stretch, but he'll be better than average simply b/c the Packers are such a well balanced team.

And for the love of all things unholy people, stop using the Giants game in the playoffs as evidence that he slowed in the end. That's just stupid. The Giants D put together one of the most inspired playoff runs we've seen in a long time. They deserve the credit for that, and calling Grant a bum or the Pats O-line weak is a cop out and just wrong.

awfullyquiet
10-01-2008, 12:35 PM
I think Grant has been a fluke.

There is a reason why i steered clear of him in all my fantasy leagues. It's because everything has changed.

He's good, downhill runner, with the right support. I think he had a few hot games last year, but didn't ever really impress. Is impress the right word?

TitleTown088
10-01-2008, 01:08 PM
LOL you feeling alright title?

Ya, just fine. This thread is full of overreaction. If one calls him a fluke because of two bad games this season, one could have gone ahead and called him a top 5 running back with his performance in limited time last season. He could easily beast vs Atlanta this weekend, will that make him Elite all over again? Come on.

TitleTown088
10-01-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm pretty sure this was his team photo, so clearly he is, at the very least, part fluke.

Is it just me or does Grant actually look like Kellen Winslow Jr.?

awfullyquiet
10-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Ya, just fine. This thread is full of overreaction. If one calls him a fluke because of two bad games this season, one could have gone ahead and called him a top 5 running back with his performance in limited time last season. He could easily beast vs Atlanta this weekend, will that make him Elite all over again? Come on.

See. i thought he was overrated last year. He had a good streak of extra-ordinary games. He's falling back to earth. He fluked last year.

FlyingElvis
10-01-2008, 01:22 PM
^^ zing!

lol

Vikes99ej
10-01-2008, 01:38 PM
He tore up the Vikes last year, so I'll give him props for that.

ChezPower4
10-01-2008, 09:36 PM
See. i thought he was overrated last year. He had a good streak of extra-ordinary games. He's falling back to earth. He fluked last year.

It's only been four games and he really didn't play at all during training camp nor has he been praticing much this season. I'm not saying that he is an elite back but i think givin the circumstances it is way to early to say last year was a fluke after four games.

Bruce Banner
10-01-2008, 09:41 PM

O ****.
Get bent!

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-01-2008, 10:02 PM
I think Grant has been a fluke.

There is a reason why i steered clear of him in all my fantasy leagues. It's because everything has changed.

He's good, downhill runner, with the right support. I think he had a few hot games last year, but didn't ever really impress. Is impress the right word?

so I guess 201 yards rushing and 3 TD's in terrible weather is not impressive and neither was his 119 yard game against the league's best run D, yea not impressive at all.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-02-2008, 08:52 AM

Yeah I don't think he was a fluke, I even said it on this website and on scout.com- GB website, that he was a product of the system rather then truly a sick player that people thought and now expected. I saw this with 2 games I saw. One, when you played seattle, which he had a sick game, and one against us, where we stopped him. So I taped both games, broke down the one against us, and you can see the creativity in the system is truly amazing. Two running concepts in 1 running play is damn creative! I've never seen that before at any level until I saw your system that day.

But I don't think he sucks, and I don't think he is worth the hype. He is what he is, and that's an avg to above avg back that is perfect for a sick system, with a good offensive line. He is everything you want in a ZBS. Good vision, good agility to cut back, good speed, and ability to make people miss. It's a perfect skill set.

Factor in more tape of him out there and that also attributes to his "cooling" down. He doesn't suck, he simply wasn't as good as the media and some of your fan base made him out to be. Good story though being an undrafted FA and being successful.

Breaker
10-02-2008, 12:33 PM

More like he got paid, and now he decides to take it down a notch. Why risk getting severely injured when you're already set for life financially?

Burns336
10-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Grant benefits from the same thing julius jones did his rookie year -- coming in mid season with fresh legs and breaking off 1 or 2 big runs a game to inflate your average.

Julius still sucks. He had good games against weak teams. I think grant is better than him, but I dont think you will see Grant perform at a "fantasy hall of fame" level ever again. He probably good for 900-1000 yards and 5 tds.

I think GB will start working Jackson in more.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Typical bandwagon. He's been poor a few games and suddenly everyone knew that he was crap all along. I'd love to see the comments thrown out praising him during his stretch at the end of last year, then see what people say.

Grant is a solid back who had a nice run last year. He ran with solid vision and power, and had the speed to bounce some nice runs. He was never anything special in regards to being above average in any one area, just a solid combination of many things. He had a good pass offense to relieve pressure, and some nice holes to run through. Things are totally different this year on the offense, with his contract, and with some injuries. The kinks are getting worked out. I certainly don't think he will be the 100 yard per game runner he was, but he is a servicable starter. His contract was known to be more than he was worth, and its showing. But everyone is pretty quick to just call him a fluke and say they never thought he was any good, which clearly isn't true, as just like when a person falls everyone says he sucks, when someone is really hot, people say he's pretty good.

Let's not expect things to be as they were last season, as more than one person has declined sharply after receiving a big contract, but he can still be a respectable back in this league. The Packers need to deploy the shared backfield approach to get the most out of the position, but there is still hope for Grant to run with the same enthusiasm and mentality as he did last year, which he clearly isn't so far. Hamstring? Maybe. But mindset is probably the biggest thing.

awfullyquiet
10-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Grant benefits from the same thing julius jones did his rookie year -- coming in mid season with fresh legs and breaking off 1 or 2 big runs a game to inflate your average.

Julius still sucks. He had good games against weak teams. I think grant is better than him, but I dont think you will see Grant perform at a "fantasy hall of fame" level ever again. He probably good for 900-1000 yards and 5 tds.

My sentiments exactly.

He is not a long-gain type runner. He does benefit from having a great line. He is NOT the second coming of LT. He is an above average back falling back to earth from his streak of awesomeness last year.

CC.SD
10-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Packers are just cursed cursed cursed.

Not simply handing living legend Brett Favre his job back has destroyed their karma forever.

MetSox17
10-03-2008, 11:16 AM
More like he got paid, and now he decides to take it down a notch. Why risk getting severely injured when you're already set for life financially?

With the way some of these guys spend their money, they're not even set financially to see retirement. And besides, how much did he "get paid"? Wasn't it something along the lines of four million guaranteed? That's chump-change for big RB money.

awfullyquiet
10-03-2008, 11:28 AM
With the way some of these guys spend their money, they're not even set financially to see retirement. And besides, how much did he "get paid"? Wasn't it something along the lines of four million guaranteed? That's chump-change for big RB money.

in this market. it's a lambo and a house. and then you're out of money. no one save their money...

if you put that **** in the bank. bought a small house or apartment. you wouldn't have to work ever again. sometimes i don't feel sorry for these people who ARE bankrupt after they get out of the nfl, because they're complete nincompoops with their money.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-03-2008, 11:34 AM
they're complete nincompoops with their money.

should we really just single out football players in this regard? i can think of many others that fit this description.

MetSox17
10-03-2008, 11:38 AM
in this market. it's a lambo and a house. and then you're out of money. no one save their money...

if you put that **** in the bank. bought a small house or apartment. you wouldn't have to work ever again. sometimes i don't feel sorry for these people who ARE bankrupt after they get out of the nfl, because they're complete nincompoops with their money.

Exactly.

If these guys lived like average people, and not the over-paid jerks they are, they wouldn't need to be driving around the country in a van delivering speeches to pay their bills. We shouldn't feel bad for the broke guys, not at all. Feel for Travis Henry? Pfft. Bag it up, son.

The situation that always boggles my mind when i think of it is the Mike Tyson one. How you crap away 300 million dollars in less than 20 years is a mystery. I'm guessing it was all the meat he had to buy for his pet tiger.

MetSox17
10-03-2008, 11:39 AM
should we really just single out football players in this regard? i can think of many others that fit this description.

Yeah, the list never ends, but football players are the lowest paid, and usually most frivolous with their money.

CC.SD
10-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Exactly.

If these guys lived like average people, and not the over-paid jerks they are, they wouldn't need to be driving around the country in a van delivering speeches to pay their bills. We shouldn't feel bad for the broke guys, not at all. Feel for Travis Henry? Pfft. Bag it up, son.

The situation that always boggles my mind when i think of it is the Mike Tyson one. How you crap away 300 million dollars in less than 20 years is a mystery. I'm guessing it was all the meat he had to buy for his pet tiger.

Come on don't hate on the tiger. That is just badass.

PackerLegend
11-16-2008, 06:37 PM
I would just like to say I told you to give him time... the last 3 weeks he has really picked it up. They weren't suck *** run defenses either... Titans (4.3 Avg), Vikings (4.7 Avg), Bears (5.8 Avg)

Smokey Joe
11-16-2008, 06:38 PM
He'll start to suck again since he won't be facing the Bears D for a couple more weeks.

PackerLegend
11-16-2008, 06:42 PM
He'll start to suck again since he won't be facing the Bears D for a couple more weeks.

Either way the vision and determination he was missing early has started to come back and you can tell.

Gay Ork Wang
11-16-2008, 06:46 PM
with those holes, a blind man could get 100 yards

Twiddler
11-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Did we really need to bring this thread back?

Gay Ork Wang
11-16-2008, 06:51 PM
well i like a lot of packer fans, but there are some guys who need the: I told you so. And it wasnt really based on anything

BeerBaron
11-16-2008, 06:56 PM

with those holes, a blind man could get 100 yards

kersplam. your answers.

GB12
11-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Well just a word to D-Unit who was roasting him like none other: He now has 100 more yards and the same YPC as Marion Barber. Infact he's now 8th in the league in yards

tjsunstein
11-16-2008, 07:08 PM
He's a second half monster.

BeerBaron
11-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Well just a word to D-Unit who was roasting him like none other: He now has 100 more yards and the same YPC as Marion Barber. Infact he's now 8th in the league in yards

100 more yards at the same ypc just means he's gotten a few more carries......not usually the best argument.

tjsunstein
11-16-2008, 07:12 PM
26 more...

GB12
11-16-2008, 07:13 PM
100 more yards at the same ypc just means he's gotten a few more carries......not usually the best argument.
No ****, that's what I was saying. He's been as productive running the ball as Barber in terms of yardage.

bantx
11-16-2008, 07:14 PM
That doesnt mean hes better than barber, so i dont see what kind of arguement you're trying to make.

yo123
11-16-2008, 07:14 PM

MBIII has played 3 games with Brad Johnson as his quarterback.

bantx
11-16-2008, 07:22 PM
You decide to bring this thread back up after he his 2nd 100 yard game....

GB12
11-16-2008, 07:27 PM
That doesnt mean hes better than barber, so i dont see what kind of arguement you're trying to make.
D-Unit has been bashing Grant when Barber, his guy, has done the same as Grant. And Barber was just one example. Grant has 140 more yards and a better ypc than LT. Seven less yards and a better ypc than Matt Forte. 187 yards and a better ypc than Jamal Lewis. 250 more yards and a better ypc than Marshawn Lynch. 290 yards and a better ypc than Willis Mcgahee. 386 yards and a better ypc than Edgerrin James. etc.

Bottom line: Not a fluke

D-Unit
11-16-2008, 07:53 PM
D-Unit has been bashing Grant when Barber, his guy, has done the same as Grant. And Barber was just one example. Grant has 140 more yards and a better ypc than LT. Seven less yards and a better ypc than Matt Forte. 187 yards and a better ypc than Jamal Lewis. 250 more yards and a better ypc than Marshawn Lynch. 290 yards and a better ypc than Willis Mcgahee. 386 yards and a better ypc than Edgerrin James. etc.

First off, let's not start to compare Barber to Grant cause you'll look silly and I want to avoid that.

Nice stat lines... but if you want to compare how good RBs are based off YPC, then Selvin Young, Jerious Norwood and Jamaal Charles are Gods.

It's must feel good to see Grant have his second 100 yard game, but he's an average back. Not the super star that many expected.

GB12
11-16-2008, 08:05 PM
First off, let's not start to compare Barber to Grant cause you'll look silly and I want to avoid that. I'm not really comparing the too, but Grant has been just as productive picking up yardage this season. A fluke wouldn't do that.

Nice stat lines... but if you want to compare how good RBs are based off YPC, then Selvin Young, Jerious Norwood and Jamaal Charles are Gods.
Did you notice that I also put yardage numbers as well. Obviously not, because otherwise you wouldn't be making this ridiculous comment. Norwood leads those three with 383 yards, the other two haven't even topped 300.

It's must feel good to see Grant have his second 100 yard game, but he's an average back. Not the super star that many expected.
Not sure why you and bantx are bringing up the fact that it was his second 100 yard game is a negative. Grant has just as many 100 yard games as LT, Marion Barber, Matt Forte, Frank Gore, among others.

I don't think anyone expected him to be a superstar. We thought he'd be good, which he is. He is at least a top 15 back and possibly top 10. Unless your definition of a fluke is anyone not in the top 5 then you are dead wrong on this.

D-Unit
11-16-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm not really comparing the too, but Grant has been just as productive picking up yardage this season. A fluke wouldn't do that.

Did you notice that I also put yardage numbers as well. Obviously not, because otherwise you wouldn't be making this ridiculous comment. Norwood leads those three with 383 yards, the other two haven't even topped 300.

Not sure why you and bantx are bringing up the fact that it was his second 100 yard game is a negative. Grant has just as many 100 yard games as LT, Marion Barber, Matt Forte, Frank Gore, among others.

I don't think anyone expected him to be a superstar. We thought he'd be good, which he is. He is at least a top 15 back and possibly top 10. Unless your definition of a fluke is anyone not in the top 5 then you are dead wrong on this.
Argh... if you want to, then fine. ...you can't compare Grant to Barber because Barber is a complete back. Besides the fact that Barber is a waaaaaay better blocker, Barber's numbers demolish Grant when you consider his receiving yards. The same with LT, Gore and even Forte. The impact these RBs add to the game make them that much better than Grant. Once you add the receiving yards into the equation, these backs have way more than 2 100 yard games.

A top 15 back? Seeing as there are 32 teams in the league, that puts him right at the average mark, which I think he is. Now if more RBs in committees had as many carries as him, he'd fall further down the list. No one expected him to be a superstar back, but you think he deserves consideration as a top 10 back? Don't contradict yourself. A top 10 RB is a superstar in this league.

Grant is #6 in Rush Attempts, yet his 3.6 ypc number is near the bottom of the league. Don't give me yardage numbers to justify anything. He's gotten the rock a ton.

GB12
11-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Grant is #6 in Rush Attempts, yet his 3.6 ypc number is near the bottom of the league. Don't give me yardage numbers to justify anything. He's gotten the rock a ton.It's 3.9, the same as Marion Baber, better than LT, jesus christ did you not read this post?

bantx
11-16-2008, 09:12 PM
That doesnt mean theyre better than Barber or LT. I still dont see what you're trying to get across. But i guess since he had the huge game today it doesnt make him a fluke...

D-Unit
11-16-2008, 09:13 PM
It's 3.9, the same as Marion Baber, better than LT, jesus christ did you not read this post?
I don't want to get into a fun debate when people get upset and take the fun out of it. I don't want to argue. It's 3.6 prior to the end of this weeks games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/bycategory?cat=Rushing&conference=NFL&year=season_2008&sort=17&timeframe=ToDate

Grant is not really that special. A lot of backs could do what he has done with that many attempts behind one of the best OLs in football. He hasn't done anything to convince me otherwise. ...yet.

GB12
11-16-2008, 09:19 PM
I don't want to get into a fun debate when people get upset and take the fun out of it. I don't want to argue. It's 3.6 prior to the end of this weeks games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/bycategory?cat=Rushing&conference=NFL&year=season_2008&sort=17&timeframe=ToDate

Grant is not really that special. A lot of backs could do what he has done with that many attempts behind one of the best OLs in football. He hasn't done anything to convince me otherwise. ...yet.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2008&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RUSHING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&d-447263-n=1 The updated stats.

As for the last comment, we have one of the best pass blocking lines in football (well at least we did), our run blocking has been bottom of the league ever since we let go of Wahle and Rivera.

Bruce Banner
11-16-2008, 09:22 PM
The greatest thing Barber has done or will ever do.

L19qwz7ryZ8

GB12
11-16-2008, 09:25 PM
A top 15 back? Seeing as there are 32 teams in the league, that puts him right at the average mark, which I think he is.
Exactly. Top 15 is not a fluke and he certainly doesn't compare to Tatum Bell and Cederic Benson like you have in the past.

Thank you. I win. :)

Don Vito
11-16-2008, 09:28 PM

L19qwz7ryZ8

That was crazy I was so pissed when that happened.

Bruce Banner
11-16-2008, 09:29 PM
That was crazy I was so pissed when that happened.

I was pulling for NE so yeah, I wasn't happy.

PackerLegend
11-16-2008, 11:09 PM
A lot of backs could do what he has done with that many attempts behind one of the best OLs in football. dude way to overate them... At times they look pretty good, other times not so much. Pretty sure our line has been the most penalized. Anyways week 1 he was what 8 yards shy of 100? o wow! If not for abandoning the run in the Vikings game last he likely would have topped 100 same with the Titans.

Besides this is the fluke thread right? So therefore he would have to have a good year (last year) and suck balls the next. Hes on pace for a better year. So exactly hes a fluke how?

PACKmanN
11-16-2008, 11:12 PM
First off, let's not start to compare Barber to Grant cause you'll look silly and I want to avoid that.

The only people in this world who thought he was going to be a superstar was the media, not one Packers' fan thought he was going to become a great or superstar running back in this league...

PackerLegend
11-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Speaking of flukes Devin Hester anyone? Best returner maybe ever to very average. Let the excuses fly.

Bruce Banner
11-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Speaking of flukes Devin Hester anyone? Best returner maybe ever to very average. Let the excuses fly.

Not necessarily a fluke....but the league adjusted well after getting some film.

His blocking may be nonexistent. Perhaps BF_51, BB, Sweetness, GWO, or AQ would like to explain it to us.

awfullyquiet
11-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Not necessarily a fluke....but the league adjusted well after getting some film.

His blocking may be nonexistent. Perhaps BF_51, BB, Sweetness, GWO, or AQ would like to explain it to us.

Is non-existent.

Brendon Ayenbadejo was a key blocker in the return schemes, he's gone
Hunter Hillenmeyer is a key blocker, he's been injured for the past 8 weeks.
McKie isn't playing as well and hester isn't playing as well.

What made the 2006 season nuts was that the ST's finished blocks. Now they can't even block.

Ryan Grant is still a fluke though. This game proves nothing.

TitleTown088
11-17-2008, 12:32 AM
Ryan Grant is still a fluke though. This game proves nothing. Keep telling yourself that. It just may come true. Just like a premature Rex Grossman/Muhammad NFL probowl commercial...

awfullyquiet
11-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Keep telling yourself that. It just may come true. Just like a premature Rex Grossman/Muhammad NFL probowl commercial...

what is the greater failure:

the packers offensive line or the bears defense?

Gay Ork Wang
11-17-2008, 01:57 AM
as soon as devin is at the 18 there are at least 4 guys that are ready to make a tackle. I mean he is great, but not god

D-Unit
11-17-2008, 03:29 AM
Exactly. Top 15 is not a fluke and he certainly doesn't compare to Tatum Bell and Cederic Benson like you have in the past.

Thank you. I win. :)
You mean we both agree he's average? I guess we both win. ;)

He's a one year wonder who cashed in at the right time. All of a sudden he has excuses (like a poor run blocking OL, inflated expectations from the media, etc etc) while having all the chances in the world to show us more.

Don't tell me that all the Packers fans out there never expected him to be a superstar, then when I tell you that he's not a superstar, then you get all over me. That's ridiculous. I AGREE WITH YOU THAT HE WAS OVERHYPED!

tjsunstein
11-17-2008, 04:00 AM

Argh... if you want to, then fine. ...you can't compare Grant to Barber because Barber is a complete back. Besides the fact that Barber is a waaaaaay better blocker, Barber's numbers demolish Grant when you consider his receiving yards. The same with LT, Gore and even Forte. The impact these RBs add to the game make them that much better than Grant. Once you add the receiving yards into the equation, these backs have way more than 2 100 yard games.

A top 15 back? Seeing as there are 32 teams in the league, that puts him right at the average mark, which I think he is. Now if more RBs in committees had as many carries as him, he'd fall further down the list. No one expected him to be a superstar back, but you think he deserves consideration as a top 10 back? Don't contradict yourself. A top 10 RB is a superstar in this league.

Grant is #6 in Rush Attempts, yet his 3.6 ypc number is near the bottom of the league. Don't give me yardage numbers to justify anything. He's gotten the rock a ton.

Don't contradict yourself. Grant isn't a fluke no matter how you spin it. He's eighth in yards. That alone should erase ''fluke talk''

tjsunstein
11-17-2008, 04:02 AM
He was the sexy pick to be the next best thing after his second half last year but he was a practice squad back how long ago? That's how the media works. You listen long enough you believe it.

TitleTown088
11-17-2008, 10:10 AM
what is the greater failure:

the packers offensive line or the bears defense?

Packers offensive line has really pissed me off this season. The only guy I've been impressed with is the guy many fans wanted to throw to the dogs (Colledge). However, the Packers offensive line manhandled the bears on Sunday, in embarrassing fashion.

ChezPower4
11-17-2008, 11:12 AM
He was the sexy pick to be the next best thing after his second half last year but he was a practice squad back how long ago? That's how the media works. You listen long enough you believe it.

ESPN did talk him up alot he's good but to me he's an above average starter

nrk
11-17-2008, 11:54 AM

He's a one year wonder who cashed in at the right time. All of a sudden he has excuses (like a poor run blocking OL, inflated expectations from the media, etc etc) while having all the chances in the world to show us more.

Don't tell me that all the Packers fans out there never expected him to be a superstar, then when I tell you that he's not a superstar, then you get all over me. That's ridiculous. I AGREE WITH YOU THAT HE WAS OVERHYPED!

And the one where he missed training camp. Ryan Grant needs to do something in the first half of the season. Looking at the stats again, more like the first quarter of the season. He started off well against Minny with a 7.7 ypc and almost 100 yards, but 15 attempts for 20 yards against the Lions? Really? He also had 15 attempts for 20 yards against Tampa. He had 90 yards against Seattle, with a 2.7 ypc. I'd really like to see more passes to Grant. He only has 5 receptions. Maybe it was missing training camp, or maybe he just gets better as people start to wear down.

G-Men88
11-17-2008, 12:29 PM
He hasn't even had a full season as a starter yet, has been nagged by his hamstring and the packers o-line hasn't been particularly consistent. You all want to call someone something prematurely just hoping you turn out to be right. Lay off his nuts.

Boston
11-17-2008, 02:38 PM

L19qwz7ryZ8

The best part about that video was watching Harrison get dragged down by the facemask. Nice.

GB12
11-17-2008, 06:46 PM

He's a one year wonder who cashed in at the right time. All of a sudden he has excuses (like a poor run blocking OL, inflated expectations from the media, etc etc) while having all the chances in the world to show us more.Well by saying he's average you're admitting he's not a fluke. I think we both agree he's at least average.

That's not all of a sudden. We've had a poor run blocking OL since 2006.

And how is he a one year wonder if he's 8th in rushing this year?

While having all the chances in the world to show us more? He had 950 yards in half a season last year and has 770 so far this year. You sir are the one who's expecting a superstar.

Gay Ork Wang
11-18-2008, 07:35 AM
well Fluke was saying that he is a Top back he was touted to be and statistically he kinda was. So when people say he is a fluke means that he is nothing really special and average at best

G-Men88
11-18-2008, 03:29 PM
But the fact is he is not average at best. It would be very difficult to name 10 RB's that are definitely better than Ryan Grant in this league. And thats with this conversation being extremely premature too.

Gay Ork Wang
11-18-2008, 03:33 PM
AP, Portis, Barber, Westbrook, Jacobs, Turner, Gore, LT, Lynch, Ronnie Brown, MJD, prolly Addai healthy, id actually take Chris Johnson and Matt Forte over him just like Bush but he is like a wild card

scottyboy
11-18-2008, 03:37 PM
AP, Portis, Barber, Westbrook, Jacobs, Turner, Gore, LT, Lynch, Ronnie Brown, MJD, prolly Addai healthy, id actually take Chris Johnson and Matt Forte over him just like Bush but he is like a wild card

*ahem* you're forgetting a very important and sexy name, but I'll assume you assumed it was assumed he's better than everyone and is obviously better than Grant.

Gay Ork Wang
11-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Brian Leonard is not a RB he is a god

TitleTown088
11-18-2008, 03:42 PM

Already proclaiming Forte over him? Talk about premature. How'd he fair against one of the worst rush defenses in the league last week?

scottyboy
11-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Brian Leonard is not a RB he is a god

yes, I was referring to Ray Rice.

I consider Brian Leonard a god/awesomeback.

I'm going to apologize for my immense homerism today. I got a letter from RU today saying they got my application and I'll be hearing if I got in or not around christmas. I've got RU on the mind today!!!

Gay Ork Wang
11-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Already proclaiming Forte over him? Talk about premature. How'd he fair against one of the worst rush defenses in the league last week?
he still got 100 yards from scrimmage

TitleTown088
11-18-2008, 04:19 PM
he still got 100 yards from scrimmage

And how many did Ryan Grant get vs a "premier" rush defense? 151 total plus a TD.

How many yards were opposing teams back averaging vs GB prior to this game?

Gay Ork Wang
11-18-2008, 04:21 PM
because the ******* bears tried to be fancy and played 3-3-5s

Forte has about the same amount of yardage rushing wise, but receiving and fumbles...

TitleTown088
11-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Excuses are like...

Gay Ork Wang
11-19-2008, 02:31 PM
i mean even with that game he still has better stats than grant

G-Men88
11-19-2008, 02:31 PM

AP, Portis, Barber, Westbrook, Jacobs, Turner, Lynch, Addai all have better offensive lines. Jacobs, Lynch, MJD are debatable and very iffy. Get out of here with the Chris Johnson, Matt Forte business.

Stop letting homerism blind you. I as a Giants fan am admitting Grant might be a better RB than Jacobs. He hasn't even finished his first season as a starter yet and he's already a fluke? We really are an impatient society.

Gay Ork Wang
11-19-2008, 02:34 PM
how is the Atlanta, Buffalo and Colts OLine better than the Packers Oline?
and how are say Jacobs and MJD debatable?

TitleTown088
11-19-2008, 04:35 PM
how is the Atlanta, Buffalo and Colts OLine better than the Packers Oline?
and how are say Jacobs and MJD debatable?

Because the Packers Oline has played terrible run-blocking until the last few games.

Sportsfan486
11-19-2008, 06:29 PM
As a pure runner, Ryan Grant is not a fluke. He's a very good back that can carry the rock as much per game as any back in the league, wear out defenses and pick up yards.

As far as being a complete back, Grant is not. He doesn't catch the ball out of the backfield AT ALL, which is really disappointing considering that eliminates one potential safety valve from our offense.

As a blocker he's mediocre at best.

Thankfully, we also have Brandon Jackson who is a decent runner in his own right and a bit of a receiving threat (although certainly no where in the ballpark of a LT or Forte or Marion Barber, etc..).

I hope Grant can work on that and figure out how to be an effective receiver or it'll always be a bit of a lack of dimension on our offense.

Vox Populi
11-19-2008, 07:10 PM
AP, Portis, Barber, Westbrook, Jacobs, Turner, Lynch, Addai all have better offensive lines. Jacobs, Lynch, MJD are debatable and very iffy. Get out of here with the Chris Johnson, Matt Forte business.

Stop letting homerism blind you. I as a Giants fan am admitting Grant might be a better RB than Jacobs. He hasn't even finished his first season as a starter yet and he's already a fluke? We really are an impatient society.

You're kidding about Lynch, right? The Bills run blocking is at or near the bottom of the league this year. He sees maybe a couple holes per game, otherwise its 2 yards and a wall of defenders or 2 yards and then 6 yards of him pushing 21 other players with his legs...Lynch is probably a top 10 back in the league and probably among the top 5 in terms of effort. The guy is just a straight baller.

ChezPower4
11-19-2008, 09:21 PM

I'm a packers fan and there's no way that's true. How do you figure that Grant is better than Jacobs?

Braylon Edwards might be better than Andre Johnson..... give me a break

jsa230
11-19-2008, 10:29 PM
If Grant is better than Jacobs why was he on the Giants practice squad???

Shane P. Hallam
11-19-2008, 11:37 PM
That's like saying, if Tom Brady is better than Chad Pennington, why was he drafted later?

Gay Ork Wang
11-20-2008, 09:02 AM
That's like saying, if Tom Brady is better than Chad Pennington, why was he drafted later?
no its not the same since they werent in the same surrounding. THe same would be if u said: And thats why Grant was a UDFA?

HawkeyeFan
11-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Brian Leonard was a god in college, and he's nothing more than a hobo in the NFL.

Very injury prone, and just not good.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-20-2008, 11:51 AM
If Grant is better than Jacobs why was he on the Giants practice squad???

Could be many reasons. HOw well did he learn Gilbride's playbook? Does he know all his routes and reads? What about pass protection? We have a good OL, but that's not all of why we are successful. You have to draw up good pass protections, in terms of 1, 3, 5, and 7 step drops. The backs are crucial for pass protection. So alot depends on that as well. There are many reasons why that I am sure only the coaches would know.

GB12
11-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Brian Leonard was a god in college, and he's nothing more than a hobo in the NFL.

Very injury prone, and just not good.
What does that have to do with anything? And it's not like you couldn't see that coming.

neko4
11-22-2008, 06:04 PM
As a pure runner, Ryan Grant is not a fluke. He's a very good back that can carry the rock as much per game as any back in the league, wear out defenses and pick up yards.

As far as being a complete back, Grant is not. He doesn't catch the ball out of the backfield AT ALL, which is really disappointing considering that eliminates one potential safety valve from our offense.

As a blocker he's mediocre at best.

Thankfully, we also have Brandon Jackson who is a decent runner in his own right and a bit of a receiving threat (although certainly no where in the ballpark of a LT or Forte or Marion Barber, etc..).

I hope Grant can work on that and figure out how to be an effective receiver or it'll always be a bit of a lack of dimension on our offense.

I hope Jackson or Grant become better recievers. Part of the philosphy, i guess you could say, for a west coast offense is being able to get Rb's involved in the passing game. I guess we're not a true west coast either tho.

Wasnt Grant playing with a bad hamstring to begin with this year?

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
11-22-2008, 07:02 PM
yes, I was referring to Ray Rice.

I consider Brian Leonard a god/awesomeback.

I'm going to apologize for my immense homerism today. I got a letter from RU today saying they got my application and I'll be hearing if I got in or not around christmas. I've got RU on the mind today!!!

I applied to RU as a joke, was accepted, and then as confirmation to my offer, I photocopied my butt and sent it in.