PDA

View Full Version : Best Wideout Available

The Legend
09-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Who do you think at the end of the year is going to be the best receiver that will NOT get the franchise tag?

Bobby Engram, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Devery Henderson, UFA, New Orleans Saints
T.J. Houshmandzadeh, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
Brandon Jones, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Amani Toomer, UFA, New York Giants
Roy Williams, UFA, Detriot Lions
Roydell Williams, UFA, Tennessee Titans

Bruce Banner
09-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Housh and Roy Williams.

The Legend
09-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Housh and Roy Williams.

You really think they wont get the franchise tag?

Bengalsrocket
09-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Roy Williams is the best combination of skill / age I think. With that being said, guys like Lee Evans and Houshmandzadeh could get paid big bucks to help complete a receiving corp.

BrownsTown
09-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Your sig doesn't include interceptions.

And Housh.

Ravens1991
09-30-2008, 08:05 PM
when is Boldins contract up? I thought it was this year.

Bruce Banner
09-30-2008, 08:08 PM
You really think they wont get the franchise tag?

I thought he meant that if these receivers didn't get the tag, who would be the best available.

LonghornsLegend
09-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Just can't see Roy leaving Detroit without compensation when they could easily get some calls if they put him on the block for a 1st + more, the seasons in the tank anyway...It's either trade or franchise tag for him.

The Legend
09-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Your sig doesn't include interceptions.

That wouldnt look that good lol, and I think Bobby Engram because I don't believe Lee, Tj or Roy will make it to the market.

MetSox17
09-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Houshmandzadeh will hit the market. The Bungles shouldn't be paying close to 9 million dollars for a one year rental anyway. Use that money to get young at other positions.

There's little to no chance that Roy Williams hits the open market. He has come out and said that he wouldn't mind at all being franchised tagged (which i hate), so if the Lions lose him for nothing, maybe it wasn't all Matt Millen :rolleyes:

BeerBaron
09-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Bobby Engram is old. He was old when he left the Bears. Same with Toomer. I doubt they see any kind of real big bucks.....

Housh, Roy and Evans I see getting tagged or, at least in the case of Evans, resigned.

Jones and Roydell can't even make an impact in Tennessee where they're WR starved. I doubt they do much elsewhere......maybe #2 options for some team with some studs elsewhere.

Devery could be interesting. I doubt he gets brough back because when healthy, the Saints seem pretty deep at WR. He's the most intriguing in my book anyway.

scottyboy
09-30-2008, 08:23 PM
there is absolutely 0, that's ZERO, Z-E-R-O chance Amani gets the franchise tag. He'll either re-sign with the Giants or retire(more likely)

The Legend
09-30-2008, 08:34 PM
I think Amani will get resigned to a fair deal.

scottyboy
09-30-2008, 08:36 PM
I think Amani will get resigned to a fair deal.

no, if anything he'd take a paycut and AT MAX a 2 year deal with the Giants.

odds are, he retires, especially if we...well...(the "r" word)

princefielder28
09-30-2008, 08:38 PM
I think Housh hits the market as the top wideout available and I don't see any of those guys getting the franchise tag.

MetSox17
09-30-2008, 08:39 PM
I think Housh hits the market as the top wideout available and I don't see any of those guys getting the franchise tag.

What incentive would Detroit have of letting Roy walk for nothing?

princefielder28
09-30-2008, 08:42 PM
What incentive would Detroit have of letting Roy walk for nothing?

Why spend that amount of money on a guy who will be your #2 WR?

MetSox17
09-30-2008, 08:44 PM

Cause teams have shown the willingness to part with draft-picks in exchange for his rights. If you can Franchise him, then trade him for a first or second round pick, why not do it? Teams were willing to do that this past year, i don't see why they wouldn't now.

princefielder28
09-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Cause teams have shown the willingness to part with draft-picks in exchange for his rights. If you can Franchise him, then trade him for a first or second round pick, why not do it? Teams were willing to do that this past year, i don't see why they wouldn't now.

If I am another team I force the Lions to make a longterm investment rather than give up picks for his rights. Roy Williams is a WR, he's talented but there's alot of players out there who can contribute just as much.

MetSox17
09-30-2008, 08:52 PM
If I am another team I force the Lions to make a longterm investment rather than give up picks for his rights. Roy Williams is a WR, he's talented but there's alot of players out there who can contribute just as much.

Really? There's a lot of players that can be had this off-season that can contribute what Williams can? We already established that the best ones available will be him, Housh and Evans. Evans will most likely get an extension from the Bills, and Housh will hit the market most likely because of his age. So there will be ONE, extremely talented, 26 year old WR, that can be had for a second round pick at the very least. If the Lions give Williams an extension, it will be to keep him there for the rest of his career, not to trade him in a year. There's no way teams can afford to do that.

I'm 100% positive that Williams will get tagged. It makes perfect sense to do so, and none whatsoever to let him walk for nothing in return.

Bruce Banner
09-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Really? There's a lot of players that can be had this off-season that can contribute what Williams can? We already established that the best ones available will be him, Housh and Evans. Evans will most likely get an extension from the Bills, and Housh will hit the market most likely because of his age. So there will be ONE, extremely talented, 26 year old WR, that can be had for a second round pick at the very least. If the Lions give Williams an extension, it will be to keep him there for the rest of his career, not to trade him in a year. There's no way teams can afford to do that.

I'm 100% positive that Williams will get tagged. It makes perfect sense to do so, and none whatsoever to let him walk for nothing in return.

He will get tagged, no doubt.

Vox Populi
09-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Evans probably would have signed long term if JP had of worked out better, but last year when his numbers went down with Trent in he wasn't that happy cause JP was his best friend on the team I guess. Same draft class. Now that hes averaging 80 yards a game and 24 yards a catch Im sure he'll be more willing to sign long term.

He'll get the tag if he doesn't anyways...

bantx
09-30-2008, 09:20 PM
whos yo momma would look nice in a chargers uniform :]

ChezPower4
09-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Houch i would say because he is going to want just as much money if not more than what Bengals gave CJ. Just don't think any team can afford to shell out that kind of cash for two WR's

giantsfan
09-30-2008, 09:40 PM
The Bengals need to really shake up their team and with all of the young WRs they've acquired lately there's no reason to make a serious investment in an older WR like Housh. They've got CJ there who's a legit #1 receiver and a bunch of young guys to fill in around him, meanwhile that D still needs work and the oline has gotten really bad, saving the money from TJ would let them workout Andrews long term and bring in another OL through FA to help rebuild their oline quickly.

GB12
09-30-2008, 10:01 PM
What kind of logic is that. You need more than one good WR in this league.

Bengalsrocket
09-30-2008, 10:04 PM
The Bengals need to really shake up their team and with all of the young WRs they've acquired lately there's no reason to make a serious investment in an older WR like Housh. They've got CJ there who's a legit #1 receiver and a bunch of young guys to fill in around him, meanwhile that D still needs work and the oline has gotten really bad, saving the money from TJ would let them workout Andrews long term and bring in another OL through FA to help rebuild their oline quickly.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I also don't think it will happen like that. Also, there has been several rumors that Stacey Andrews does NOT want to resign with Cincinnati and that his biggest dream is to go play with his brother in Philadelphia.

With our D, our biggest need is Linebacker and D-line. Both of which we could technically fix if we had a really good draft (there have been several young DT's and LB's who can fill in from day 1).

And as far as our O-line goes, most of its problems could be fixed if we could trade for or pick up a free agent center. It seems we may need to also fix left tackle, but we have a rookie this year who has been nothing but impressive in Anthony Collins (though he'll more than likely go right tackle if we lose Stacy Andrews).

PACKmanN
09-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Brandon Jones

CashmoneyDrew
09-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Roydell Williams doesn't even play for the Titans anymore. He got cut and I'm not even sure if any team picked him up.

princefielder28
09-30-2008, 10:36 PM
What kind of logic is that. You need more than one good WR in this league.

I had a long spiel typed up but then my internet died out so I lost it but here's a bit in summary......

Why invest 1/6 of your payroll into the receiver positon when you have no long term solution at QB and your offensive line is suspect. Not to add in the shaky defensive line and secondary. Investing tons of money in the receiving corps while constantly ignoring other needs has put the Lions in the situation they currently are in and it's time to make changes.

GB12
09-30-2008, 11:06 PM
I had a long spiel typed up but then my internet died out so I lost it but here's a bit in summary......

Why invest 1/6 of your payroll into the receiver positon when you have no long term solution at QB and your offensive line is suspect. Not to add in the shaky defensive line and secondary. Investing tons of money in the receiving corps while constantly ignoring other needs has put the Lions in the situation they currently are in and it's time to make changes.
Roy Williams is one of the very few good players the Lions have, they need to do everything they can to hang on to him.

giantsfan
09-30-2008, 11:08 PM
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I also don't think it will happen like that. Also, there has been several rumors that Stacey Andrews does NOT want to resign with Cincinnati and that his biggest dream is to go play with his brother in Philadelphia.

With our D, our biggest need is Linebacker and D-line. Both of which we could technically fix if we had a really good draft (there have been several young DT's and LB's who can fill in from day 1).

And as far as our O-line goes, most of its problems could be fixed if we could trade for or pick up a free agent center. It seems we may need to also fix left tackle, but we have a rookie this year who has been nothing but impressive in Anthony Collins (though he'll more than likely go right tackle if we lose Stacy Andrews).

I really think if you guys can nab a defensive stud with your first pick you should trade back into round one to ensure Alex Mack. I hope you guys can keep Andrews as he's good young lineman and would much rather see him flourishing with cincy than philly.

Speaking of which where would he fit in philly? Herrmans and MJG seem to have the guard spots on lock down if his brother bounces out to tackle and I don't see either Andrews Brother as a LT.

DeathbyStat
10-01-2008, 12:02 PM
I'd say Houshmandzadeh

J-Shock
10-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Why's Devery on the list? He was an UFA last year. Tested the waters, no one offered him a contract so he took what we gave him.

eaglesalltheway
10-01-2008, 12:22 PM
I really think if you guys can nab a defensive stud with your first pick you should trade back into round one to ensure Alex Mack. I hope you guys can keep Andrews as he's good young lineman and would much rather see him flourishing with cincy than philly.

Speaking of which where would he fit in philly? Herrmans and MJG seem to have the guard spots on lock down if his brother bounces out to tackle and I don't see either Andrews Brother as a LT.

Herremans can play either tackle, and I think (I think) the Eagles would prefer to keep Shawn Andrews at RG. I really don't know how much is behind this though, the Eagles are a smart Franchise, and if they like what he could do for the team, they will make a run for him, they won't just sign him because two brothers want to be together.
If we would sign Andrews though, and both Runyan and Thomas are gone (whether it be retirement or whatever) our O-line would look like this...

LT- Todd Herremans
LG- Max Jean-Gilles
C- Jamaal Jackson
RG- Shawn Andrews
RT- Stacey Andrews

Herremans has played some LT in preseason and in limited game action, and if you look at him, he has the body type more like a Tackle, tall and thin(ner).

MetSox17
10-01-2008, 04:18 PM

Yes, they need to make changes, and Roy Williams will probably be playing in another uniform next season, but that does not mean the Lions should let him walk for free. He gets tagged, and traded, the Lions take no cap hit at all, Williams gets his money, the other team gets a playmaker that can step in right away, not like a rookie WR that will take a few years to develop, and voila! Everyone is happy.

Roy Williams is one of the very few good players the Lions have, they need to do everything they can to hang on to him.

The Lions can do without Roy Williams. He's very talented, but by the time they'll be ready to compete, he'll need a new contract and be over 30. They can't let him go for nothing, though.

BlindSite
10-01-2008, 06:11 PM
The better receivers I can see getting hit with the tag so they can choose where they go and what they get for them.

Somehow I don't think Detroit would be over the moon to see Williams in a bears or minnesota jersey.

SuperMcGee
10-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Lee Evans reportedly just signed a multiyear extension. Guy is such a professional and a great player and it's refreshing to see how he went about all of this.

The figure I heard was 4 years, 37.25 million. Just over $18 million guaranteed.

abaddon41_80
10-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Bryant Johnson only has a 1-year contract. He will put up good numbers and be highly sought after if he stays healthy.

Geo
10-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Wow, that's serious dough for Evans. More than Randy Moss and Terrell Owens, although Evans is many years younger than either. But still.

CC.SD
10-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Wow, that's serious dough for Evans. More than Randy Moss and Terrell Owens, although Evans is many years younger than either. But still.

He would have gotten it sooner or later--good deal to lock him up, he's clearly a cornerstone for them.

Rob S
10-02-2008, 05:19 PM
i am confident lee gets locked up long term in buffalo, if he hasnt already. Out of the others, I dont think the lions tag roy, so he is the logical choice.

Gay Ork Wang
10-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Lee Evans reportedly just signed a multiyear extension. Guy is such a professional and a great player and it's refreshing to see how he went about all of this.

The figure I heard was 4 years, 37.25 million. Just over $18 million guaranteed.
there u go Rob

TheBuffaloBills
10-02-2008, 05:38 PM
there u go Rob

It isnt completely confirmed yet.

Gay Ork Wang
10-02-2008, 06:59 PM
It isnt completely confirmed yet.
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6710

bearsfan_51
10-02-2008, 07:08 PM
It's only 1.5 million more guaranteed than Bernard Berrian, and is actually 6 million more over the length of the contract.

PackerLegend
10-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Lee Evans is awesome and hes from where?? The "U" errrrrrrrrrr Wisconsin!! One of the few good Wisconsin pros.

Rob S
10-02-2008, 07:54 PM
lee evans is sweet.....i love the man. Very few WR stretch the field as well as lee does.

robert pancake gallery
10-03-2008, 10:05 PM
ill be honest here, dave henderson is only going to get better, and hes battle tested against hte great sec defenses... theres other guys on this list that are good but hes under the radar and he gets it done and hes a tiger :)

HUGH!
10-06-2008, 02:40 PM
ill be honest here, dave henderson is only going to get better, and hes battle tested against hte great sec defenses... theres other guys on this list that are good but hes under the radar and he gets it done and hes a tiger :)

dave henderson is pretty good. I saw him play under Dave Dlugosz in high school.

FlyingElvis
10-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Roy is the best WR of the bunch. Housh is second. My personal prediction (based on nothing more than wimsy) is that the Bengals move CJ for some picks and resign TJ, thus ridding themselves of the headache that is Ocho Cinco. If Roy is allowed to leave w/nothing in return for Detroit then Mr. Ford clearly decided to replace Matt Millen with someone just as incompetent.

Roy Williams is one of the very few good players the

Lions have, they need to do everything they can to hang on to him.

Agreed. But long term - and let's face it, the short term for Detroit is so ugly the long term is all that matters - they should tag him and get some picks. Unless there's a wealth of O-line FAs they can add, it won't matter how many stud WRs the Lions have b/c their QB will be on his back too much to throw to them.

Go Blue
10-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Roy is the best WR of the bunch. Housh is second. My personal prediction (based on nothing more than wimsy) is that the Bengals move CJ for some picks and resign TJ, thus ridding themselves of the headache that is Ocho Cinco. If Roy is allowed to leave w/nothing in return for Detroit then Mr. Ford clearly decided to replace Matt Millen with someone just as incompetent.

Agreed. But long term - and let's face it, the short term for Detroit is so ugly the long term is all that matters - they should tag him and get some picks. Unless there's a wealth of O-line FAs they can add, it won't matter how many stud WRs the Lions have b/c their QB will be on his back too much to throw to them.
Even when they have time it really doesnt make a difference! Quaterback is a position of jest on the Lions roster!

Geo
10-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Unless Marvin Harrison and his agent agree to a major restructuring of his contract, I expect he'll be cut by the Colts after this season. You don't want to see it happen with a longstanding player like that, but there's no way they can justify his price next season. This season is a wash, consider it a favor from the franchise he's getting paid what he is this year already.

So maybe a franchise needing a short-term veteran gives him a call. He might still be a servicable #2, if he lines up on the other side/against the #2 corner.