PDA

View Full Version : Week 5: Dallas

PalmerToCJ
09-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Dallas - 75
Cincinnati - 6

Ugh. I guess the only thing I'm interested in this game is to see how our defense does against the best offense they've played this year.

Bengalsrocket
09-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Dallas - 75
Cincinnati - 6

Ugh. I guess the only thing I'm interested in this game is to see how our defense does against the best offense they've played this year.

I'm interested in our QB play, regardless of who is starting. If its Fitzpatrick I'd like to see how he does with a little more practice and expectation of it happening. And if its Palmer I'd like to see how his elbow effects him.

Also, I'd like to see how our running game improves. If Chris Perry isn't the answer now, he won't be next year. Which means we're going to have to add one more need to the draft board.

Also, if possible, I'd like to see Utecht play well. If we're already out this year, we need to get as many players in motion for next year as possible to cut down on draft needs. The following (in no particular order) are the guys I'd like to see start picking it up this week and the following weeks:

Chris Perry
Ben Utecht
Chad Ocho Cinco
The entire O-line
Antwan Odom
Leon Hall
Jonathan Joseph

I'm not saying they have to have career games this week, but the sooner they start finding their true talent, the better it is for us.

themaninblack
09-30-2008, 11:00 PM
I am really looking forward to seeing the defense play against probably the best Offense in the league. A healthy JJ would be nice to see.

If the Offense can get anything going we could keep it close.

BTW, Leon Hall has been exceptional this season.

Bengals78
10-01-2008, 12:24 AM
BTW, Leon Hall has been exceptional this season.

Imagine if we could get a little pass rush going and he didnt have to cover for 5-10 seconds every down.

BengalMedic
10-01-2008, 06:51 AM
Hard to say as I am at all excited about watching the game this week, but I will be sitting right there the whole time either cursing or cheering. I'm expecting more cursing !!! That being said, the defense is about the only thing I look to keep an eye on. Hall has been very good and I can't see how Dexter Jackson will get his spot back with the way Ndukwe has been playing. I'd rather go with the youth movement in that one. I also can't see why they won't just play Shirley, Sims, or any other rookie at a position of weakness or a position that stands to lose the starter (WR) next year. After we go 0-5, will it really make a bit of difference ?? Does anyone here think Shirley or Sims could do that much worse than Thornton ?? Even if they do, once again, would it even matter ??

I just think they need to see what they have BEFORE they go into the draft next April.

Oh yeah,
Cowboys-67
Bengals-9 (Thanks Shayne)

hobbes2053
10-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Like everyone else, want to see how the defense holds up against the Dallas offense. It will be their hardest test to date and probably for the rest of the season. Our young secondary has been playing great, but the lack of pressure by the guys up front isn't helping matters. I really wish they would sub in Sims and Shirley, if only to see what they can do. Like Medic said, "Would it even matter?" No, probably not. So why not put them in and get them some gametime experience..?

themaninblack
10-01-2008, 01:52 PM
I think Marvin said somewhere that it is unlikely Shirley would get any playing team this year, claiming he is a big time project. Not that I agree with it.

BengalMedic
10-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Funny thing is though and I'm sure it's just a different philosophy, but I can remember many Titans players making the comment that Haynesworth didn't really get the position at the pro level, but they let him get the playing time to figure it out and by the end of his first season, he was ready to go and now look at his performance.

Dang that was a run on sentence...

Anyway, I could see this being the case with Shirley and Sims and like I stated before, at 0-5 after this Sunday, WHO REALLY CARES ?? Get the youngsters in there and let them get the gametime experience...

PalmerToCJ
10-01-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm VERY happy with our secondary. As terrible as we've been as a whole. Hall has been great, Chinny is a playmaker and Marvin White is very promising. Wish JJ was healthier this season but we know he can bring it.

We just need a MLB and some way to bring heat up front. I liked Zimmer's aggressiveness Sunday, a couple times they did get a 1st down but Anderson had 2 guys in his face.

Ghiaciuc is going to suck no matter what, our offense will always be limited by him. I guess Carson is 50/50 right now. Apparently one of the Cowboy's (forget which) agreed with a reporter that they wished they had a better opponent this week... If that can't get them PO'd what will?

thule
10-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Dallas's defense always comes out weak against weak competition. I have no doubts you guys will put up over 20 points if Carson is at the helm like he is saying.

themaninblack
10-02-2008, 12:24 AM
If we score 20 points I'd probably jump for joy and it wouldn't matter if we won or lost.

hobbes2053
10-03-2008, 08:44 AM
If we put up 20, that's a win for us. Regardless of final score.

PalmerToCJ
10-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Dexter Jackson Out
Corey Mays Doubtful
Johnathan Joseph Questionable
Carson Palmer Questionable
Kenny Watson Questionable
Levi Jones Probable
Domata Peko Probable
Chris Perry Probable
Dhani Jones Probable

I'm betting Carson doesn't play, unfortunately. No sense in rushing back JJ either.

themaninblack
10-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Let Levi sit, put Whitworth at LT and the kid Anthony Collins at LG. PLEASE!

PalmerToCJ
10-03-2008, 08:12 PM
After being so dominant in '05 Levi sure has gone downhill in a hurry.

PalmerToCJ
10-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Actually some encouraging quotes from Marvin on Carson:

"He did well. We’ll see how he is in the morning and determine from that. If things continue as they have, I think all systems are go."

Palmer, by the way, said after practice that every thing was fine. He walked out with a big bag of ice on his right elbow.

Marvin more on Palmer: "The medical staff feels he isn’t risking anything, if they determine he’s ready to play based on what he’s done, there is no risk. Otherwise, he wouldn’t be playing."

"It was a normal Friday. He threw long ones, short ones, middle ones, outside ones. He threw them all."

Seems like a decent chance Joseph might play, still on the fence with Henry but I would assume he's active and playing.

Simeon Castille has been cut and Abdul Hodge signed to the active roster.

PalmerToCJ
10-05-2008, 03:44 PM
12 men in the huddle.... Why do I continue to watch?

themaninblack
10-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Cedric Benson has looked pretty good.

themaninblack
10-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Damn holding call was a joke. We needed a TD there desperately.

PalmerToCJ
10-05-2008, 06:05 PM
We're in the lead if that holding isn't called or Carson hits the wide open Perry. That's the way our season is.

What a horrible call on the 2 point play.

Zimmer is the man, what I wouldn't have given to have him in '05. Chinny is everywhere.

themaninblack
10-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Well we gave em a run and had plenty of chances to win. We just can't catch a break.

PalmerToCJ
10-05-2008, 06:26 PM
We're not nearly as bad as our record indicates. Baltimore flat out beat us, who knows if the winds aren't there vs. Tennessee. We took NY to the wire and if Carson isn't hurt we clobber the Browns. Obviously all of this is worth absolutely nothing but we're just not the typical 0-5 team.

The defense, while it sucked at times in run D we're playing a good offense and put our offense in a VERY manageable situation to try and win the game. Chinny is just awesome, the corners in general did their job. The pass rush by our front 4 generally sucked but Zimmer mixed it up well and at least made Romo hurry quite a few. The offense is coming around, entirely too late. Chris Perry just isn't a feature back, part of it is the line but Benson wasn't bad at all. The fumblitis has to stop.

Special teams played GREAT. Holt's return and the onside kick were great. Even had we not recovered it I loved the onside call. Graham had plenty of touchbacks to keep Jones from running loose and Larson did a pretty solid job.

I REALLY would like to know what would have happened without that holding call or if Carson hits the wide open Perry.

We've got the pieces, it's just a matter of putting them together.

hobbes2053
10-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Why is it that we play well against the good teams (Giants, Cowboys), but suck against the bad teams (Browns)? I was impressed with the defense yet again, but our offense blew another one. Why is TJ holding on a run up the middle? Why can't we connect on short easy passes? Problems surround the offense.

PalmerToCJ
10-05-2008, 06:36 PM
I agree. The defense has done NOTHING to hinder our success this year.

We would have destroyed the Browns with a healthy Carson, Fitzpatrick is just a massive step down lol.

Bengalsrocket
10-05-2008, 07:47 PM
I agree. The defense has done NOTHING to hinder our success this year.

We would have destroyed the Browns with a healthy Carson, Fitzpatrick is just a massive step down lol.

Our defense has really made the best of this, and they certainly don't deserve to be 0-5.

And I agree about Fitzpatrick too. Though in his defense: it will be incredibly hard for any QB to step up and replace Carson Palmer unless they're the same style of QB as Carson Palmer. The playbook was designed around a pocket passer who can drop back, make his reads and step up into his throws all in a matter of seconds. I don't think Fitzpatrick fits the bill for us, unfortunately.

Bengals78
10-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Maybe trade him to a team like Minnesota or someone who needs a QB and doesnt have that same system. He could do enough to get first downs and hand it off to AD.

themaninblack
10-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Our OL actually played quite well today which was surprising. Pass protection was good up until the very end. Aside from his fumble, I though Perry looked pretty good today. Him and Benson could be a nice duo similar to what Rudi and Perry were a few years ago.

Defense once again played good enough for us to win and even made some nice plays. They could not defend the outside run but they stopped the inside run decently. Would like to see Fanene/Rucker playing end a little more for Odom because he seems to struggle in the run game. JJ is not very good in run support either.

Ndukwe needs to start for realz.

hobbes2053
10-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Chinny is simply amazing. He was everywhere today. Rivers is coming a long nicely as well. I did like what I saw of the defense. Agreed that the outside run defense could be better, but at least were making progress on that side of the ball. Everyone knows what we have offensively, even if we can't execute it now. It's a welcome site to see a formidable defense here. Zim deserves mass props.

Bengals78
10-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Rivers was outstanding. He was in on or by every play it seemed.

thule
10-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Good game....talent trumped this win....

We knew zimmer would dial up a defense to slow down dallas' offense...but once again dallas defense fails to adjust....if not for pure talent on the defensive side of the ball in the second half dallas loses this game.

themaninblack
10-05-2008, 11:47 PM
If not for a bogus holding call and a Perry fumble Dallas woulda lost.

Bengals78
10-06-2008, 09:40 AM
lets not play the IF game...we lost. they earned it by out playing us and out coaching us...
why wasnt benson used more? he was doing pretty friggin good.

rickscott
10-06-2008, 10:30 AM
I would hope we would see him on the field very little next week. He doesn't deserve to play for this team. He has hurt us much much more than he has helped this year with his paltry 2 plus yards per carry. If a RB can't hold onto the ball, he's of no use. I hope they bring Watson back today and use Benson alot next week.

PalmerToCJ
10-06-2008, 04:03 PM
I would at least like to see a 50/50 split next week between the two. It was like where Ghiaciuc falls on his back Benson actually had the weight to plow through for a couple of yards.

Perry needs to be part of a 2 back system. That is where he's successful. When they use him in the passing game I love it. He's a big play RB, not an every down RB (with our current offense anyway). Put Benson in on 1st, split 2nd down and Perry on 3rd down.

Again, I'm happy with the defense. While the stats aren't there, the production is. I wish the front 4 could get more pressure, that's about my only gripe. Even then Zimmer manufactures pressure by sending Chinny or LB's.

The stats don't add up.
Scoring defense - 19th
Total Yardage - 19th
Rushing yards- 29th
Passing yards- 6th
Passing YPA - 8th
Passing comp. % - 14th
Rushing YPA - 20th

But they've been put in some bad spots. The rushing D is so bad from always playing behind, the passing D is helped out by that though. I would like to think with a more balanced offensive showing we could be middle of the road in both, which is enough for what this D should produce. Still dead last in sacks, the hurries are there though.

themaninblack
10-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Ya I think we all have seen a dramatic improvement over years past in regards to the defense. They aren't quite where they need to be yet but I am definitely encouraged by them. The stats don't really tell the whole story per usual but they have done some good things. Basically, they haven't lost us the game yet this season and they have been put in a lot of bad situations. We need one or 2 more players to solidify the unit but I do like what they are doing. I would REALLY like to see them give Sims and Shirley some PT.

PalmerToCJ
10-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Let me say... Chinedum Ndukwe is the freaking man. Seriously talk about a gem. There's hardly a play where I don't see #41 around the guy that ends up getting the ball.

If we can get pressure from our front 4 we've got ourselves a solid defense.

CJSchneider
10-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Sorry yall, wrong thread :)